[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 11 KB, 256x224, Game_Over_Screen_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_SNES.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1665792 No.1665792 [Reply] [Original]

So for those who haven't played old games in awhile does it feel like you're not nearly as good as when you played them the first time. Been Playing Donkey Kong Country recently and I've been seeing this screen a lot. I don't remember this game giving me too much trouble at 12 years old, but at 31 its a pain in the ass.

>> No.1665801

>>1665792
I'm actually much better now (much better at recognizing patterns and devising strategies now), but I'm 25 so I don't think I count yet. Call me in 10 years and we'll talk.

>> No.1665803

Me and my brother busted this game out over memorial day and fuck man.
I ran out of lives shortly after the mine cart level.

>> No.1665806

>>1665792
no you are terrible at it.

it is so easy now, I gain lives every level i play. I have at least 30 lives left by the time i 102% it.
Keep playing more to get better, learn where the bonuses are, and get the bonus life at the end of the levels.

>> No.1665808

>>1665806
i had over 30 after the first boss

>> No.1665815

The hell?
I love grinding for lives on the first level, it's the perfect warmup.
I THINK I've seen a blue life balloon there once.

Yeah, minecart level is quite annoying but only the last stretch.

>> No.1665820

>>1665815
there is a warp at the beginning of the first minecart level

>> No.1665823

>>1665815
Sorry, OP, didn't mean to brag, but go back to the first level and stay on the top path for as long as you can. Then do it again while rushing and you'll see the extra lives have a timer on then, it plays like a speedrun if you'd like.

Also, master your air rolls, try rolling off a platform then cancelling the roll into a jump. Some of the KONG letters floating over pits can only be picked up this way.
The minecart level and the entirety of the second world can be skipped, look it up on gamefaqs.

>> No.1665825

>>1665820
Yeah, I think I remember now, you have to jump off into the large bottomless pit in the beginning.

>> No.1665828

>>1665820
Oh my lord.
I forgot all about this

>> No.1666009

>>1665823
Thanks from the tips. I'm actually almost done with the game. I was inspired to make this thread because it was the second retro game that I played recently that gave me no troubles when I was young, but I suck at now. Don't know if it's age or just being not used to old genres like platformers.

>> No.1666040

>>1665815
There are two blue balloons at the end of the level, if you jump up over the exit. Right above what's visible of the stage on-screen there's a tire, and if you get on top of that and jump diagonally to the left you can get them.

>> No.1666043

>>1666009

I'm almost as old as you, and I don't think it's age. It's more that you're just out of your element.

I had the same problem with some of the RPGs I used to play as a kid, that I had no problem with, but had some problems with them a few years ago when I replayed them.

Talk about dulled reflexes when you're in your 60s. 31 is too young to bitch about being old, you immense faggot.

Happy gaming!

>> No.1666048

>>1665801
>I'm actually much better now (much better at recognizing patterns and devising strategies now)

same here, I"m 34.

>> No.1666054

For me, it's the opposite. When I was 11-12, I couldn't handle DKC for shit but at 28, I can tear through it with minimal effort.

Still an awesome game.

>> No.1666083

Donkey Kong Country is mostly down to remembering the levels so I can see why you'd be worse after a break
I'm still as good as I ever was at Sonic

>> No.1667593

>>1665801
This. I was much worse at games as a kid.
I will say, however, that as a kid I apparently had a shitload of persistence and free time that I do not have now. I may have been bad at games, but I'd memorize everything and get through that way.

>>1666009
I assume this applies to you as well. What you remember as a kid is probably you playing the game AFTER it kicked your ass and you memorized everything and stumbled upon all sorts of secrets and so on.

>> No.1667634

I recently played through all three games (at age 24) and found them to be the perfect difficulty. I can't really remember if they were harder when I was a kid though. Each game had a couple levels that were pretty tough and I will admit I did look up where just a few DK coin / bonus barrels were just so I could get 100%

I think they are still great games to go back and play, good luck OP.

>> No.1667754

I recently played through DKC with no trouble. DKC2 is wrecking my shit though. That fucking haunted forest is bullshit. I'm 24 and would not have been able to beat DKC as a kid had I tried. (I had a Genesis)

>> No.1667764

You are generally slower to pick up new things as an adult, but your ceiling is much higher. I've had this same phenomenon occur where I pick up an old game and initially have more trouble than I remember, yet eventually I become much better at it than I ever was.

>> No.1667797

I can't play Mega Man for shit anymore.

>> No.1668064

>pop in yoshi's story
>trial mode
>still has highscores from childhood
>all 4000+ melon runs
>names are all naughty words
i suck at this game now, my names have gotten more tasteful however

>> No.1668138

>>1667797
Same here. Been trying to beat 2 for a month now. I've been telling myself it's all the hdtv's fault, but it's not. I just suck. Seem to do better when I'm drunk so when I get back from the bar I'm going to make a few attempts.

>> No.1668180

>>1667754
>I'm 24 and would not have been able to beat DKC as a kid had I tried.
beat it when I was 10.
step up on.
damn /vr/ stop sucking at vidya holy shit.

>> No.1668227
File: 68 KB, 197x251, 1396067426521.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1665792
you're not alone. i used to beat the crap out of zelda II without any trouble. death mountain was a joke. the last palace was the only place i lost a life or two. didn't even know about the dark link cheat. i come on /vr/ and hear how hard the game is and laugh to myself. i then try it and get a game over screen in the 2nd palace, good grief.

i guess it has to do with the fact that as a kid i didn't have many games to choose from so i took my time and mastered the ones i had (the good ones anyway).

>> No.1668253

If anything, I've noticed that I've gotten FAR better in time.

I'm 29, been playing games as my primary hobby in life (in lieu of TV or movies) since I was 8. I think it makes sense that I've gotten better.

Also, honestly, the DKC series was never really hard. I can fly through DKC2 like it's nothing.

>> No.1668258

>>1665823
>Figure out the mid-jump roll cancel shortly after the game comes out
>I could finally get those KONG letters hanging over a pit
>This was before everything looked up strategy guides on the Internet
>Everyone was like "Whaaaaaaaaat?"

>> No.1668259

The game I have ever felt this way about is Super R-Type--as in, I'm surprised I had the patience to beat it on Pro mode because I really don't know. Those lack of checkpoints really kill the fun when you die. For everything else I have only gotten better at.