[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 84 KB, 600x600, Marathon_Music_Cover_Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1653927 No.1653927[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What's the general consensus on the Marathon Series?

>> No.1653929

>>1653927
It's alright.

>> No.1653937

It isn't Halo or System Shock so people generally don't give a shit about it.

>> No.1653953

It's great. No reason not to play it.

>> No.1653954

>>1653953
What's so great about it? I heard it was the spiritual prequel to the Halo series or something?

>> No.1653956

>>1653927
Boring.

>> No.1653957

1T R0XX0RZ /\/\Y 50X0RZ

>> No.1653967

The original was good for the time, but definitely hasn't aged well.

Durandal was great, and I played the everloving shit out of it.

Infinty was/is God-Tier, bringing back the spooky darkness of the original with a crazy twisty-turny time-bending plot that I had to play a couple times to fully grasp everything that happened.

Both Durandal and Infinity were also incredibly fun to mod. I had a patch once that made the SPNKR launch exploding BOBs just for shits and giggles.

>> No.1654017

Dated but good.

>> No.1654027

Dual shotguns are perfect

>> No.1654068

I thought it was fun as shit
I also later went back to the universe while on 2C-B and had a crazy yet beautiful trip

Because of that Marathon will always hold a special place in my heart

It was a great game when it came out, as it has an actual story to it, and you can free aim unlike doom

>> No.1654208

I'm playing through the original from 1994 at the moment, and it's good.

Is it just Aleph One or has the strafing speed always been inconveniently slow? It feels like Jason Jones and the map designers desperately want players to circle-strafe around large hordes in tight spaces a lot of the time, but the strafing here is way worse compared to Doom. As a result, it's easy to suddenly change direction, force a change in vector, and subsequently get hit by a projectile now aimed just right and going fast enough for contact. Fighting regular Phfor goons shouldn't be this janky!

Compilers, however, are an awesome group of enemies, so long as there aren't too many chasing you at once. Once the spike bombs start trailing you, it becomes clear how important strafing speed is for leading shots into non-identical Compilers in the same area. I love how you can trap them with some good 'ol punching...hell, punching in this game is damn satisfying, since you actually move pretty quickly forwards and backwards. Melee's main problem in the version of the game I'm playing is that I often can't get a feel for how close I have to punch in order to hit, so that I can then back out before getting hit myself. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

The most annoying shit is when the game progression clearly hasn't been thought through. Example: the transition from Durandal imprisoning you in an infinite loop to the shoot-bang of Bob-B-Q doesn't work. It's like Bungie assumed I was going to find at least one of the 2x regen stations that's placed well away from the spawn area, which is where all the action happens. Combined with crappy strafing and sound flooding, this new chapter's needlessly brutal and, worse, obscure. I shouldn't have to feel like I'm getting nowhere because I have to start back at the save in the last fucking map, since that's a waste of time for the sake of poorly-thought-out difficulty.

So yeah, Marathon has ups and downs.

>> No.1654230

>>1654208
>Is it just Aleph One or has the strafing speed always been inconveniently slow? It feels like Jason Jones and the map designers desperately want players to circle-strafe around large hordes in tight spaces a lot of the time, but the strafing here is way worse compared to Doom.

It's always been slow. I think they were envisioning turn left/turn right while running forwards to be the more "realistic" application of what is now universally just strafing under the almighty WSAD. I like to use it, but then again I think novel control schemes are fun and play with the default full keypad layout.

>> No.1654245

>>1653927
Always thought it was painfully mediocre compared to other FPSs and frankly I think the only reason it's even regarded now is because it was one of the fewer higher profile games Mac users had access to. And this is coming from someone who spent most of the PC vidya time on a Mac in the '90s, by the way. Plus those guys making the biggest cancer in the whole FPS industry later on, of course.

>> No.1654247

Great shotguns or the greatest shotguns?

>> No.1654409

>>1653927
Completely average but hyped by macfags because it was about the only FPS for the mac.

>> No.1654482

>>1654208
>The most annoying shit is when the game progression clearly hasn't been thought through.
You haven't reached 'Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap' yet have you?
To turn on cheats in Aleph One go to preferences, environment, then set the solo script to cheats.lua which is located in the extras folder.

>> No.1654987

>>1654482
Yeah, I heard about the dumb switch puzzle in that map. I've already accepted that even the developers hate it, so skipping it by whatever means available should do.

Can't believe they'd design some battles with strafing in mind and then basically not give players good-enough strafing ability. I must keep hearing that Durandal and Infinity are better for reasons (and not just because of the shotgun).

>> No.1655030

>>1654245
I don't know about making, but certainly inspiring. At least Halo had some interesting enemies, modern FPS is just a soldier-killing simulation.

>> No.1655178
File: 45 KB, 650x365, marathon durandal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1654245
It had very interesting gameplay ideas for the time. Of course as of today it's pretty generic, but back then it was unique.

Also Halo is far from a cancer. It's a solid series, but sadly others in the industry took its ideas without even understanding them and then poorly reusing them. It has a poor redutation that's terribly undeserved. CoD is the real cancer.

>> No.1655889

>>1654017
What the fuck does this even mean on /vr/?

Just a general reminder to everyone, while Marathon may have drawn inspiration from Doom, it is not Doom. It wasn't supposed to be Doom. To expect Doom while playing Marathon is to rob yourself of all enjoyment you could ever have, as it can never live up to your expectations.

>> No.1656213

>>1655178
>Also Halo is far from a cancer.
>>>/v/
Just kidding. Get the hell off my 4chan.

>> No.1656341

>>1656213
Just because this is /vr/ doesn't mean we all hate modern games. Personally, I think Halo started off as a great series, and as a sweet continuation of what I could only assume was the Pathways into Darkness and Marathon universe. Similarly, I feel the same way about Half Life and Doom. Can I say the same thing about the games being made for the respective series now? Not so much. But Halo, similar to Call of Duty, weren't terrible initially and had a lot of potential. That said, this conversation isn't /vr/ appropriate, so back on topic.

What is everybodies favorite mods? There aren't as many as say Doom, but Marathon's mod scene certainly isn't dead either.

>> No.1658562

>>1653927
If you had a PC you were playing Wolfenstein and Doom back in the day, and either had no idea Marathon even existed, or if you did you wondered what all the fuss was about... and went back to Doom.

If you had a Mac, Marathon was a gift from God.

>> No.1658968

>>1658562
Doom have a Mac port.

>> No.1659005

>>1654245
> Plus those guys making the biggest cancer in the whole FPS industry later on, of course.
More like second biggest. Though that has no bearing on Marathons complete mediocrity.

>> No.1659008

>>1655178
>others in the industry took its ideas without even understanding them and then poorly reusing them.
So, exactly what Bungie did with Halo.