[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2 KB, 256x232, goonies2-4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1653676 No.1653676[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm curious about some retro games that give the player the freedom to engage in cruel acts, like picking fights with innocent NPCs and eventually getting chased out of a village by angry guards, or hitting old men over the head with a hammer.

What are some games that come to mind? NES specifically would be great.

>> No.1653714

In the Strike series of games, you could fuck up buildings that you were supposed to protect.

The entire Rampage series is built on being a massive dick to humans.

A ton of FPS games let you kill innocents with varying results. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, The World is Not Enough, Blood, and Duke 3D all come to mind immediately.

In the SNES Goemon games, you had the ability to hit innocent town members. This had its downsides, though, as you would either lose money or get the cops to chase you.

Speaking of cops, GTA is a no-brainer.

In The Legend of Zelda, you could hurt some of those old men as I recall, though you would get attacked by those beam shooters afterwards.

>> No.1653736

In technocop for genesis you can kill inocent children, quite nasty.

>> No.1653739

>>1653676
Dungeon Keeper. Torture chamber. Nuff said.

We need a DK3 and we need Possession to allow for interactive torture.

>> No.1653745

The only fun part of Bible Adventures is throwing baby Moses into the Nile.

>> No.1653746

>>1653736
Same in Jagged Alliance 2, you can just gun down entire towns of defenseless people.

>> No.1653750

Pretty much the entire Ultima series allowed you to be a jerk. You could attack and kill any NPC, but guards would usually hunt you down afterward. Ultima IV gave you the Skull of Mondain, which destroyed all NPCs in an area instantly, and substantially lowered your virtues in the process.

Final Fantasy Adventure technically lets you kill NPCs in villages, but they have a lot of HP, and they just respawn when you leave.

>> No.1653759

Ultima: Exodus you can kill anybody. When I was a kid, the whole point of the game became to get strong enough through grinding to be able to kill the guards that came after me when I killed NPCs.

I still haven't beaten that game but I want to play the Master System version.

>> No.1653761

Primal Rage had cavemen on each of the stages you could fuck around with/eat, and even a few secret games you could play with them like bowling and volleyball.

Cruis'n USA (I think. Might have been World) had cows on a few stages that would explode when you run into them.

>> No.1653781

Metal Gear 1: You can kill any of the hostages, but you'll be penalized with a demotion if you do so.
Metal Gear 2: You can kill the children wandering in Zanzibarland. The only penalty you'll suffer is health lost.

>> No.1653785

Chiller

http://youtu.be/lNDwY3tHpuI?t=1m35s

The NES version tried to handwave it by saying you were killing monsters or some shit, but this is a load of bullshit. AFAIK the arcade version had no such story and was just about you shooting shit.

>> No.1653802

In fallout 1 and 2 you could kill children. If you were flagged as a child killer you'd be on the list to have an encounter with a group of mercenaries hired to kill you for your atrocities, everyone in the wastes hates you.

You could also stuff a child with explosives and he'd probably continue his walk animation, and walk up to someone or more children and blow them up

Unless you were in Germany, then they were invisible.

>> No.1653884

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted since it was rather infamous back in the day, but Maniac Mansion allowed you microwave a hamster to the point of exploding. You could then return it to the owner who would kill you in a fit of rage. When it was ported to the NES this somehow slipped past NoA's tightassed censors.

>> No.1653886

>>1653785
>that 1-bit DPCM scream

Horrifying.

>> No.1654020

>>1653886
Yeah it was fucking LOUD too. Really piercing at the arcade, could be heard over all the other games f someone was playing Chiller.

>> No.1654026

Takashi's Challenge

/thread

>> No.1654101

Rance has a huge dick as a protagonist.
It's not even freedom. There are several optional rapes but also a lot of mandatory ones.

>> No.1654521

>>1653676
In Jet Force Gemini you can shoot to NPCs that give you advice (you can't kill them though) and they will be momentarily mad at you, while you can kill Tribals instead of saving them, It's quite fun to do and watch them explode, lose their heads, run away while burning or being electrocuted, if you do that while other Tribals are around they will stare at you terrified. If you shoot the adult ones with the gun they won't die and usually it's good to shot the ones with the lanterns since you can use it as Flamethrower ammo.

>> No.1654527

>>1653676
Lovely detected.

>> No.1654534

Some of the Ys games have a "Genocide Mode" that makes it possible to attack the villagers.
They explode and you see piles of flesh, blood and bones everywhere.

Not sure if retro, though.

>> No.1654826

I think it was Baseball for NES that allowed you to attack anyone at any time.

Postal, of course, was based around senseless killing and cruelty. Tecmo's Deception would fall into this category too I guess. GTA series, Carmageddon series, several fan made wads for Doom, etc.