[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 569 KB, 619x557, Group_Art_-_Donkey_Kong_Country.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1644058 No.1644058 [Reply] [Original]

Civil discussion about the Donkey Kong Country trilogy—one of the best series in video games history, and a true contribution to the Super NES.

Donkey Kong Country took us by storm with its clever level design, addictive gameplay and colorful cast of characters.

Which DKC was your favorite? Did you have a favorite character, song or level?

Discuss!

>> No.1644069

I loved Donkey Kong Country.

My and my friend used to loan it from a local kiosk every friday. We had sleepovers and play DKC until very late.

I remember one day, after we had played it for 7 hours straight, I had a dream with those damn bananas in them.

However, I hate DKC2 and 3. I never played them on the SNES, they were never released here, but I later emulated them and they just don't cut it for me. I find them to be awful games trying to recuperate the awesomeness of the first one.

For instace the stupid level with the skull cart instead of mine cart.

>> No.1644080

>>1644069
>I had a dream with those damn bananas in them.
Haha, that's classic. Someone should start a new thread about dreams and video games.

>I hate DKC2 and 3
Now this I find interesting. 2 and 3 are very similar to the original. I could understand someone liking them less, but to hate them outright? Interesting.

>> No.1644083

>>1644058
Donkey Kong Country 3 was my favorite. But I liked the team of Diddy and Dixie in part 2.

>> No.1644092

My favourite is DKC2. Had the most interesting levels, and best music. Dave Wise always makes a good soundtrack.

>> No.1644093

>>1644080
>Someone should start a new thread about dreams and video games.

you should do that right now.

>> No.1644107

>>1644093
Please do it. I'll contribute, I think.

>> No.1644108

DKC3 > DKC1 > DKC2

>> No.1644120

>>1644093
>>1644107
Alright, done.

>> No.1644148

>>1644108
>DKC1 > DKC3 > DKC2
Fixed that for ya

>> No.1644196

personally i think DKC3 offers the best gameplay, DKC2 the best overall experience and DKC1 the best barrel action and atmosphere

they are all great games

>> No.1644203 [DELETED] 

>>1644058

Oh please just shut the fuck up.

>> No.1644226

>>1644058
>one of the best series in video games history
>donkey kong country . . . clever level design

Man, I don't hate these games, but you really don't want civil, do you.

>> No.1644248

I only ever completed 2 but to be honest I felt like it was (and still is) all about the presentation rather than actual well designed levels and interesting gameplay. Never liked the Sonic franchise for the same reasons.

Certainly one of the most overrated Nintendo franchises. Certainly did enjoy it at the time though, although I was much younger then. Going back at it now, it was good but really nothing all that special.

>> No.1644278

>>1644226
I agree somewhat, but he is entitled to his opinion. And the level design got more varied with each game.

>> No.1644287

>>1644058
They're pretty good but come the fuck on.

>> No.1644294

Overall, I always held DKC1 as the best, I just can't think of anything strongly bad about it.
However, I had genuinely more fun with DKC2. I especially remember spending whole weekends playing nothing but DKC2, good times.
When DKC3 came out, I had already PS1 and N64, so the graphics were not that impressive to me, didn't help that the first few levels were a bit uninspired, both visually and design-wise. I believe it got better in the later levels, but I remember some tedious ones like one in the forest using the elepehant. I didn't finish it on my first playthrough, I got bored half way, then some time later went back to it and finished it, it was still a good game, but I thought it was not as good as the first 2, even though DKC1 seemed a bit simpler compared to DKC3 which had an open world map and tons of secrets and collectibles, still found DKC1 more compact.

>> No.1645243

DKC was my first SNES game, and it may be my favorite alongside Chrono Trigger, Super G&G and SMW. The first one had such nice flow when rolling into or bouncing on enemy heads and it pretty much demanded you never take your finger of the sprint button. Its more or less what I would have wanted out of Sonic games.

I like DKC2 a lot, but I thought that the game lost some of its charm going all >spooky like it did with the pirate theme. And all the flow with enemies came in the form of rolling into them and less jumping on them. Also DKC1 had the better soundtrack, and I think the bramble theme in DKC2 is overrated.

I played maybe 3 levels of DKC3 and dropped it. At that point I feel like it fully moved away from the core of the game, there was no Donkey Kong and this wasn't his Country, it was just some summer camp-esque islands. Also no Diddy was a deal breaker.

>> No.1645254
File: 32 KB, 216x282, mekboywhyyoudothat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1645243
>lost some of its charm going all >spooky like it did with the pirate theme
But that's the opposite of true. And the opposite of true is a lie. Why would you lie on this thread, anon? This was a relatively nice thread, until you lied.

>> No.1645263

>>1645254
http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

>> No.1645269

>>1644058
I recently replayed DKC in many years, like, over a decade. I was amazed by it. I liked SMW more as a kid but I think in the end DKC is superior. The platforming is just so much more challenging. SMW's only real problem is how you could use cape feather to fly over most levels if you wanted to. I like how there are no exploits in DKC and its platforming is more 'concentrated' so to speak. I feel so much more involved when playing DKC than SMW.

>> No.1645271

My favourite is 3, but I think it's a very unpopular opinion. The other two are awesome, but I enjoy the third one more than them.

>> No.1645279
File: 75 KB, 321x308, brograbs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1645271
Nah, bro. I love DCK3. No one else does, and it's hard being a fan, listening to everyone pan it, but I love it too.

>> No.1645284

>>1645279
>>1645279
>I love DCK3
For a minute, I had a bout of partial dyslexia, mixing Latin and Cyrillic scripts in my head but still reading that as English and I thought it read
>I love DICKZ!
З (which is not the number 3, though they look similar) is 'Zeh,' a Cyrillic letter used analogously to Z in the Latin alphabet (they share the same precursor; cursive Latin Z is shaped like З/3).
I mean... if you love DICKЗ, Anon, it's okay, but you needn't hide it in your adoration of a poor-quality platformer only to have your love of DICKЗ jump out through a Freudian slip. Just admit it. It's okay to like DICKЗ.

>> No.1645286

>>1645284
I gotta say, it sounds like you're seeing dicks everywhere. I don't care, I support your lifestyle choice, but that doesn't sound healthy

>> No.1645291

>>1645286
No need to worry, Anon. I always use protection! And I'm supportive of anyone's choice to love DICKЗ or DKC3, even though I might disagree entirely with loving the latter of the two. DICKЗ can be fun, but you've gotta use protection!

>> No.1645318

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvoYMtMpfY

I always swapped to Dixie before finishing a level, her victory music and seeing her rock out the guitar pumped me so much

>> No.1645329

>>1645271
>>1645279
Donkey Kong Country 3 is actually quite popular online from all I have read.

>> No.1645331
File: 55 KB, 512x448, gfs_47079_2_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1644058
The stage in DKC3 were you ride the rocket barrel is my favorite. DKC3 had a lot of great levels.

>> No.1645343
File: 37 KB, 576x334, Squitter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can we all agree Squitter was the best animal buddy?

>> No.1645350

>>1645343

the original spiderbro

>> No.1645351

>>1645284
>if you love DICKЗ, Anon, it's okay, but you needn't hide it in your adoration of a poor-quality platformer
Actually, since homosexuality isn't as much of an issue anymore, I might be more embarrassed saying that Donkey Kong Country was a shitty platformer. My straight and gay friends might give me weird faces over that remark.

>> No.1645363

I own all 3 and they are my favorite games on the SNES for sure. I have a really hard time rating them. Flawless soundtrack in all 3 (including 3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74jYet7iRpk

>> No.1645389

>>1644226

DKC has pretty awesome level design. Everything is built for you play more or less however you want; you can dash and speed through everything and most of the time bouncing on enemies will set you onto different paths or lead you to more bouncing off of enemies until you've got a rhythm going, which is really fun. But if you want to, you can also slow down and your reward will be finding cool secrets and shit.

DKC3 sort of fucked this up in a lot of places with its gimmicky levels, admittedly.

>> No.1645409
File: 31 KB, 256x222, riverside_race.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1645331
The Riverside Race in DKC3 was my joint.

>> No.1645412

remember when that one anon was trolling VR for 3 months making the same DKC3 thread over and over.

>> No.1645419

>>1645409
I read online the world record for that level is 52.40. Some of us DKC fans should try recording our best times for that stage and compare them. Could be fun.

>> No.1645426

>>1644058
Donkey Kong Country 1 is still my favorite after all these years. I know 2 and 3 expanded upon the original, but I feel DKC1 had the best levels, with DKC3 at a close second.

My favorite soundtrack, however, is a tie between DKC3 and DKC2. Both of them sounded amazing.

>> No.1645435

>>1645412
Must have been the same anon who made the Super Metroid and Sonic threads. I swear there was 5 active Sonic threads going at once several months ago.

And nah, Donkey Kong isn't so bad. I don't worship the series or anything, but I haven't seen nearly as many DK threads as I have Metroid and Sonic threads. Doom gets a lot of attention here, too.

>> No.1645496

Dixie Kong is my favorite character because she can hover. Just like the Princess is my favorite SMB2 character for the same reason.

>> No.1645502

1 = Decent
2 = Best
3 = who gives a shit

>> No.1645508

>>1645502
I agree with you, but I still like 3, just under par with the others, but decent.

>> No.1645678

DKC3 > DKC2 >DKC1

I think the series improved with each release.

>>1645343
Squitter was cool, but I liked Ellie the best.

>> No.1645809

>>1645435

>Doom gets a lot of attention here, too.

That's because it's made by Doom general guys from /vg/, they were already going since before /vr/ was created.

>> No.1645842
File: 97 KB, 550x365, eyes1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw playing DKC3 for the first time in years and realizing wrinkly kong is playing Mario 64

>> No.1645894

>>1645271
I wouldn't say unpopular. There's actually a lot of people who love it. But there's also a lot of people who loathe it - it's a very divisive game.

Personally, I prefer 3 over 2 - both have great music, 3 has prettier backgrounds (Enemy design is... All over the place, though, 2 was much more concise). 2's Dixie/ Diddy combination is superior to Dixie/ Kiddie or Diddy/ Donkey, but not so much so that it pushes 2 ahead of 3 for me, and level design is, overall, pretty great for both.

>> No.1645923

They make it hard for me to like them because they look so damn ugly.
They're overall great games, though, apart from the art style and mine carts

>> No.1645927

>>1645419
That's actually not a bad idea, we could post webms.

>> No.1645932

>>1645343
Shooting webs is the best, Squitter is king. My second favorite is Winky because he looks so crazy, too bad he wasn't very useful.

>> No.1645965

I have played so much Donkey Kong Country. It's gotten to the point where I am so precise that the games feel like a second skin. I remember years ago playing DKC with the controller flipped or the picture upside down just to add some extra challenge. I have developed strange headcanon for a lot of stages in those games.

>> No.1646007

>>1645965
>I have played so much Donkey Kong Country. It's gotten to the point where I am so precise that the games feel like a second skin.
iktf bro
Wish I knew some fellow Donkey maniacs who's obsessed as much as me over the game, we could tech each other new tricks and stage lines for speedrunning.

>I have developed strange headcanon for a lot of stages in those games.
Are you going to start posting fan fiction?

>> No.1646019

>>1646007
I don't usually do this; I think it's because the original SNES game had that funny manual with the silly introduction, so I always imagined hilarious scenarios in the game. For example, in the first couple stages, sometimes I run around when it's dark and pretend Donkey Kong is some sort of crazed genocidal gorilla who hates chimps and just drops the DK barrels off cliffs (using that awkward maneuver where you can set a barrel down without breaking it).

It was really cool how the GBA versions had trial runs of the stages so you could score your performance, since I think that's the one thing that was missing from the original games. I love those spots where you can roll through like 10 enemies like in Mainbrace Mayhem.

>> No.1646054

>>1646019
>drops the DK barrels off cliffs
That's kind of funny actually. Poor Diddy...
I often backtracked through the stage just to take in the atmosphere of it during nighttime, with no enemies around to disturb. Just taking a relaxing walks and enjoying the scenery, really.

>It was really cool how the GBA versions had trial runs of the stages so you could score your performance
Didn't even know there were any extras on GBA besides the well-known alterations to DKC3. Might have to give them a go soon, after finishing the DKL series.

>I love those spots where you can roll through like 10 enemies like in Mainbrace Mayhem.
That acceleration feels so good. I love the snake pit at the end of Reptile Rumble, it gives you a 2FAST boost that makes the character animation glitch for a moment.

>> No.1646070

>>1646019
>>1646007
>>1645965
I know this feel. I spent maybe two years trying to beat the game when I first got DKC1 as a child (I was 5 or 6) and I didn't even get 80% when I beat it. Now I can start the game up and beat it in one sitting low % or go for 100% over two sittings. I wish there were more levels, when I was a kid I would dream that after beating a level the pathway on the overworld map would go to a different part and there would be a secret level there. I wish somebody would take the original game and do this even if it is just a rom hack, but it needs to be decent quality.

>> No.1646084

>>1646054
It didn't occur to me until much later on in life that I could do that in Jungle Hijinks. Then I discovered that the level theme has that extra sequence if you wait long enough. It made me wish more levels did that kind of thing midway through.

It's kind of unfortunate about the new DKC3 world. I was really excited to try it but then I got there and it just didn't feel the same. I don't think it was a nostalgia thing either. There's a level where they try to do an underwater/tree combination stage and it just doesn't work. A couple of them are OK, though.

>>1646070
There's a couple DKC romhacks but they're all incomplete and generally suck ass. It's sort of not the creators' faults though. It's easy (relatively speaking) to make Super Mario World hacks because the graphics were simpler and it's easy to make something new that looks authentic. The DKC hacks inevitably look sloppy.

>> No.1646109

In DKC1 Cranky Kong tells you that if you jump on 5 enemies in a row you get a 1-up. Has anybody ever done this? I have never found more than 4 enemies to bounce on

>> No.1646129

>>1646109
I think in one of the industrial levels, Oil Drum Alley or Blackout Basement maybe, there's a part where you can hit at least 5 beavers on a downward drop. I don't recall ever getting a 1-up this way, but maybe I just wasn't looking for it.

>> No.1646136

>>1646129
I think Cranky was just being full of shit.

>> No.1646143

>>1646136
Falco: "Are you gonna listen to that monkey?"

>> No.1646145

>>1646109
In Millstone Mayhem you can do basically the DKC version of SMB's 1-up shell trick, by herding a Krusha down into the pit where you start and chain-jumping it next to the wall. The positioning is very delicate, so it's a real hassle to pull off.

>> No.1646240

>>1645343
>Rambi
Fun but simplistic
>Winky
Awkward controls
>Enguarde
Decent
>Expresso
Awkward controls, but his speed can make for a fun challenge fitting into the game
>Squawks
Really depends on the game
>Rattly
Winky in reptilian form
>Squitter
Speedy, can fight, decent gameplay element - def. the best out there
>Clapper
meh
>Glimmer
meh
>Ellie
Okay gameplay element, but too slow
>Parry
Faggot

Gutted that Squitter didn't make it into the Returns games, though I can see why for the first one at least - it went heavily 'I'M COOL!' + pretty fast gameplay so Rambi made it.

I thought Tropical Freeze's gameplay and tone had a space for Squitter, though.

>> No.1646267

>>1646240
Rattly was the best because of that extra jump you get when you walk off a ledge, especially when compared to to winky who controlled so terrible and it always seemed like it made jumps even harder and when you fell it looked retarded because he was still running. espresso bothered me because sometimes I could walk over top of those damn clap traps but other times I would get hit by them if there was a slight incline.

>> No.1646283

Ever realize how many DKC1 levels have really, really well-hidden animals? I used to think that game just didn't have as much animal action as the other two, but most levels actually have one in a random pit or down a wide ledge that you'd have to screw up to find.

>> No.1646418

>>1645271
3 is great too, its only that it has to live under the shadow of DKC 2

>> No.1646645

>>1646418
and DKC 1

3's not a bad game at all, it just failed to surpass either of its excellent predecessors.

>> No.1646687

DKC2 is the best, but my favorite is 1.

Because its a DONKEY KONG Country game that lets you play as DONKEY KONG.

And also nostalgia.

>> No.1647153

Donkey Kong Country 3 is by far my favorite. I think it's also the best in the series. DKC1 was solid. DKC2 was kind of weak.

>> No.1647186
File: 46 KB, 520x285, DKC4-rom-download[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Character
Diddy or Funky

>Song
Mining Melancholy (Tree top tumble being a close second)

>Level
Jungle Hijinx

>Animal Buddy
Rambi

As far as a favorite game out of the 3, I really can't pick one.

1 has the best atmosphere and the best kongs but isn't incredibly varied

2 is the most challenging and wonderfully varied but some of the stages drag on too long

3 is the most creative and varied but lots of the stages are somewhat gimmicky and Kiddy Kong is kinda pointless. (Just could've had Donkey and Dixie rescue Diddy)

>>1646240
Yeah I really wish they put more animal buddies in the newer DK games. Hell I even wish we'd see The DK64 Kongs make an appearance

>> No.1649779
File: 24 KB, 364x366, 1379721175644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1644092
>Stickerbrush Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

>> No.1649780

>>1645842
>brainfuck
That music.

>> No.1649793

I'm replay DKC1 right now, you would think the prerendered graphics would date it but between them and the soundtrack this game is so goddamn pretty.

>> No.1649825

>>1649793
Yeah, it's weird how good DKC still looks since stuff like Mortal Kombat looks ridiculous now.

>> No.1649829

>>1649825
That's because MK has always been a shitty SNES game and an even shittier fighting game.

>> No.1649831
File: 8 KB, 313x396, 1304575788764.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1649779
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWt8ZPr5W0&index=30&list=PLD78B807E27C6B2BE

>when the fucking guitar kicks in

>> No.1649892

You know, as much as I like the DKC soundtrack, it seems awfully misplaced. Most of the tracks are so desolate and creepy that it made me really anxious to play a lot of stages. If DKC was made by Nintendo it'd have a bunch of happy afro-beat/latin themed songs and it would seem like an entirely different game. DKC2 isn't as strange because it's soundtrack is more "gung ho adventure" and less "dangerous and creepy".

>> No.1649932

>>1649892
i guess i can see your point but i prefer the soundtrack the way you described as there are plenty of upbeat songs in SNES platformers already so it makes the DKC music stand out with the rest of the game

i love aquatic ambience, the bonus room songs and gagplank galleon theme specifically

>> No.1649958

I can't help humming this song whenever rain comes ;_; Dem based memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moysooebfv4

>> No.1650027

I hate to bring this up because not vidya, but did anyone else that enjoyed the games like the cartoon? I find myself imagining their voices while playing the games. I wish their voice actors had caught on like how Sonic and Mario have set voices.

>> No.1651335

>>1644203
Great shitpost.

>>1650027
Best voices were in DK64. Modern DK sounds like shit

>> No.1651364

>>1644058
>Donkey Kong Country 2
>Diddy Kong
>Kannon's Klaim
Too hard of a decision to make on a level.

>> No.1651389

>>1644058
DKC2 > DKC > DKC3

I couldn't get into 3, and 2 was literally the first game I ever played when I was 3 years old, so it holds a special place in my heart.

I'm gonna go back and play through 3 though after reading this thread.

>> No.1651407

I'm going to split this up into two opinions
My five year old opinion and current opinion

Dk1 loved it, I have plenty of memories about this amazing game I remember when I got it loved it

Dk2 my least favorite at the time because the graphics were darker and there was that level with barrels and thorns

Dk3 my second favorite i thought it was awesome but didn't really like how it wasnt dk and all of a sudden characters and references I didn't get. Also thought it was the easiesy

Now
Dk1 WAY too easy, Fun but can be completed too quickly

Dk2 i like the graphics and difficulty curve and enjoy Diddy and the girl but I wish dk was around for that big guy character

Dk3 its alright but its too easy and everything looks to child like.

>> No.1651409

>>1644058
Didn't like the first one that much, I've heard that two is a lot better. Is it worth playing two even if I didn't like playing through the first one that much?

>> No.1651410

>>1651409
yes

>> No.1651416

>>1651409
yes, if only for the fucking fantastic atmosphere

>> No.1651418

This thread made me realize why I love DK
The music and atmosphere

DK64 was amazing also guys

>> No.1651419

first island of dkc1>dkc2>dkc3>rest of dkc1

>> No.1651421

>>1651419
oh shit, forgot about minecart carnage, I guess first two islands

>> No.1651739

DKC and DKC 3 are my favorite SNES games besides SMRPG.

I didn't play DKC 2 as a kid.

>> No.1651746

>>1651739
Oh and it's hard for me to decide if DKC3 or DKC1 is the best, but I think the order for me goes:

DKC3 > DKC1 > DKC2

>> No.1651748

Ad someone who bought dk3 close to release i can tell you its crsp. I want pi,xel perfect humps

>> No.1652085
File: 7 KB, 286x176, images (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1644058

DKC 2 is best DKC

/thread

>> No.1652096

I only had DKC3. Played the living shit out of it. Fucking love the game, I literally know it backwards. I played it so much, I found all the warp barrels on the first two worlds alone - once I found my first one I just kept looking. Then I never knew I couldn't find any more in the other levels, only years later I learned there aren't any.

My aunt had DKC2, and she was pretty casual and didn't even play it, so she used to lend me it as much as I wanted. so I also played the fuck out of that, although not as much as DKC3.

I finished DKC by renting it, just like a lot of other games for the SNES. I also loved it, but it was my least played DKC, until then. I've emulated the fuck out of the game in the past few years. Whenever I feel like playing Donkey Kong, DKC is the one I look to. It's great to start running around Jungle Hijinx and all.

That being said

DKC2 > DKC > DKC3

Just putting there that I'm not blinded by nostalgia. I played DKC3 the most out of all of them, but I know it's the inferior game. DKC2 is an absolute masterpiece... The levels, the ambiences, the music, just goddamn. It's pure bliss.

>> No.1652108

>>1651418
The music and the graphics blend perfectly and give you a chilling experience. They create the perfect ambiance feeling, it's really amazing. You really feel transported to the game world. It's really what I like the most in those games. Also the tight, fluid controls. You can just keep going and going with the flow of the level, everything synchronized. It's a really seamless experience. And then there's also the exploration aspect that gives the game an Action-Adventure feel, collecting bonus coins and getting a high completion %... It makes the game feel much more than just a simple platformer, it's really an adventure.

>> No.1652138

I know this isn't /vr/, but I got to ask, is the Wii U DK Country game worth my time (and money)?

>> No.1652140

>>1652138
I haven't played it yet, but it fixes everyone's two biggest gripes from the first Returns game: No more waggling to Roll, and the bad guys are more interesting "a plank of wood"

>> No.1652413

>>1652138
Short story?

Yes.

The Wii one is a bit meh, with its level design trying a little too hard to be cool rather than clever, and the soundtrack being a bit meh. The villains weren't exactly great, either. 7/10, maybe 8/10 if we're being generous.

Tropical Freeze has a vastly improved soundtrack (If still inferior to the OT), the enemies are top tier, and the level design is now actually clever. 9/10 easily.

>> No.1652435

>>1644058
But it's no good as a trilogy because the third game was such a disappointment.

>> No.1652492

DKC2 is a brilliant game but it's far from perfect. I personally feel it has a combination of the best and worst levels. The mine and bramble levels are gorgeous but a bit tedious to play through. The swamp and forest levels feel very dull and uninteresting.

DKC3 gets called the most gimmicky, but DKC2 was at least equal, if not worse that way. Three wind levels and a shitload of barrel levels spring to mind.

The overall engine of DKC2 was a big improvement over the first game, very close to perfect. I think DKC3 has the best bosses and map screens outright though.

DKC2 > DKC3 > DKC

They're all brilliant games. Would recommend.

>> No.1652514

>>1652138
Tropical Freeze actually feels like a new DKC rather than a "New Donkey Kong Wii"

>> No.1653091

>>1644058
Better than Retro.

>> No.1653116

>>1645269
DKC2 has the exploit with the spider where you can just walk over the entire level, but it's only on a few levels.

>> No.1653157
File: 79 KB, 424x565, 1366052601120.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Screwing up on the DK Coin on Web Woods

>> No.1653165

Why has no one gone ahead and made a huge romhack that fixes 3? Sonic nerds create amazing romhacks that update theri games. Why not Ninty nerds?

>fix the music (gba version music using snes samples)
>replace stupid baby with Donkey Kong

>> No.1653204

>>1653165
>FIX 3 BY USING THE GBA MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLxQNkSaYvo

>> No.1653249

>>1653165
>fix the music (gba version music using snes samples)
No. Just no. David Wise butchered it.

Shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMBYnnpEU08

What he replaced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnaO1AddZs8

Wise fanboys are the worst.

I do agree on the second point though. I'm pretty sure DKC is pretty hard to hack... I'm not sure I've ever seen a DKC romhack before.

>> No.1653284

>>1653249
There's supposed to be all sorts of weird compression and other stuff going on in the DKC games which would probably make hacking them even harder than normal games. There are videos that show hacks for each game so there is probably editors for all three as well.

>> No.1653335
File: 222 KB, 636x500, ExpressoArtworkCountry[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why dont you love me, /vr/ ?

>> No.1653993

This thread makes me want to beat DKC3 again.

Even though I think I just did it last year. Or two years ago.

>> No.1654414

>>1653249
>No. Just no. David Wise butchered it.
Couldn't agree more. Eveline Fischer did a great job - in DKC as well (Where she did almost half the tracks). And DKC 3 on GBA is fucking cancer.

>> No.1654431 [DELETED] 

I fucking hate you contrarian hipster fucks saying you like 3 the best just to stick out.

It's objectively the worst in the series.

>> No.1654436
File: 30 KB, 243x420, OH U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1654431
>my opinions = facts
>my opinions are so correct that anyone who disagrees with them must be willfully contrarian

>> No.1654708

Anybody playing Donkey Kong Country 2: Hard as Kongcrete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QdnJQVe3Gw

>> No.1654812

>>1654708
This seems pretty cool

>> No.1654865

>>1654431
No, retard. I hate contrarian hipsters as much as you do, but I actually enjoyed 3 the most.

>> No.1654867

>>1654708

The reason a lot of people like DKC is that you can get into a fast rhythm, and the rom hack level design seems to take that away.

>> No.1654883

>>1654867
A lot of romhacks in general tend to have a crazy high difficulty level. Hacks that are well structured and balanced tend to be very rare (no pun intended).

That hack is painful to watch. Constant save states and abusive rewinding shouldn't be required to play a game. I appreciate the effort that goes into this sort of thing, but this one doesn't seem very creative or fun.

>> No.1655192

>>1654708
>look at muh romhack that makes gameplay completely counterintuitive and slow, isn't it awesome?!

>> No.1656451
File: 34 KB, 550x471, barf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1654708
>4 seconds in
>OKAY GUYZ
dropped.

>> No.1656508

Donkey Kong Country is truly perfect. If you do not get this amazing new generation of Donkey Kong Country madness, you are stupid. Yes, I know it's insulting, but that's also the truth. If you're a true video game fan, you will not hesitate in the slightest bit to buy this piece of gaming history.

>> No.1658357
File: 23 KB, 288x499, Tony WHY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1653165
>Donkey Kong replaces Kiddy Kong
>He gets the physics he had in DKC1 instead of bouncing on water like Kiddy did

>shitty GBA DKC3 music in the hack
>Enter Skidda's Row or Lemguin Lunge
>"YOOOAAAHEEEeeeEEEYOOOAAAHEEEeeeEEEYOOOAAAHEEEeeeEEEYOO-OH-oh"
>[cheesy polka intensifies]
pic related is my reaction if that were to happen

Also, remember in DKC3, it was Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong that were brainwashed by Baron Von K.Roolenstein to be KAOS.
If Donkey Kong replaces Kiddy, then who would be brainwashed to be KAOS alongside Diddy? Fucking Candy Kong?

>> No.1658372

>>1653335

You were kind of slippery, your flying rarely ever helped much, and for some reason I always got hit while riding you... sorry Expresso, I still like you though.

>> No.1658379

>>1656508
>Come closer and I'll show you why they call me "Big Dong Donkey Kong"

>> No.1658381

>>1654708
>So King K. Rool's like "Let's just put Zingers everywhere, guys."

>> No.1658398
File: 19 KB, 640x480, Sonicclassicheroes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1653249
>I'm not sure I've ever seen a DKC romhack before.
How great
how great would a DKC Trilogy Romhack be? Play through all the old levels, use all the Kongs, animal buddies spread throughout all three games, just amaing shit tat I would dream of as a kid.

>> No.1658412
File: 32 KB, 256x224, 1387179307239.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1658357
>He gets the physics he had in DKC1 instead of bouncing on water like Kiddy did
Why would you assume that? DK has a roll animation as well. The biggest hurdle would be getting DK to carry Dixie without holding her over his head.

>> No.1658537

>>1658412
>pic
expanddong.jpg

>> No.1658714
File: 50 KB, 475x355, 1400535191857.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1645254

>> No.1658735
File: 2 KB, 154x133, 1384991885014.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Which DKC was your favorite?
1 because of nostalgia and overall preference. Doesn't matter since they're all perfect.

>> No.1658758

>>1658398
>how great would a DKC Trilogy Romhack be? Play through all the old levels, use all the Kongs, animal buddies spread throughout all three games, just amaing shit tat I would dream of as a kid.
Sounds amazing, but how plausible?

>> No.1658781

>>1649779
>>1649831
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSqYgIHgqFI

Make way for some perfect instrumentation, friends.

>> No.1658789
File: 1.47 MB, 215x200, 1345124862306.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Which DKC was your favorite?
2. Period. Dixie is my waifu. Nearly every point of this game is flawless. Some of the best gameplay, music, and atmosphere. Playing through RGB/Framemeister, the game is gorgeous to this day, and the gameplay still holds up wonderfully. My future grandkids will be playing this.

1 almost makes the top, seeing how it was my first video game, but it has noticeably aged. The combination of more atmospheric music with the backdrops given still make it fun to run around for a little while, but it gets old pretty quick, and can be pretty easily beaten.

3 has not held up nearly as much. Sure it was neat that each world had more unique gimmicks, but these gimmicks weren't expanded on save for Krematoa. As well, while Eveline Fischer is a good composer, and made some great tracks for DKC1, she can't handle a full soundtrack. No one touches David Wise. Not to mention, I'm aboard the Kiddy hate train. Whilst giving Kiddy more weight when carrying brings depth to the game, it slows things down too much for my tastes. Also Ellie sucks as an animal buddy.

>Did you have a favorite character
Dixie made me a furry, so there's that.

>Song
DKC1 - Ice Cave Chant, though the whole soundtrack is pretty good
DKC2 - The Entire Fucking Soundtrack - Pretty much every piece on here is gold. The OC Remix album of this is also damn good.
DKC3 - Frosty Frolics and Water World, everything else is just kinda there.

>> No.1658829

I replayed them recently, they still are great games, and while 2 used to be my favorite before doing that, I ended up enjoying 3 the most

>> No.1658971

>>1644287
I found the original DKC somewhat uninteresting and lacking as far as platformers go. It looked good definitely but it felt clunky and minimalistic. I didn't bother playing the next two because the first one didn't do anything for me. If I had a list of must plays for the system, you wouldn't even see DKC anywhere near that list. It'd be closer to a play if you want, it's not a 'bad game' I just don't consider it a good game. Honestly, I'd say that's fairly standard for Rare.

>> No.1659379

>>1658781
Holy shit, this was glorious.

Also. Please, don't hate me for this guys, but I never played any of these games. I tried out DKC1, and that's that.

Should I just buy a snes and all these games? Do they have a good re-release?

Please help me out, I'm incredibly interested in this games.

>> No.1659380

>>1659379
Just get an emulator and play with a controller

>> No.1659424

>>1659379

Are you 13?

Jesus christ just get a snes emulator and play it.

>> No.1659443

>>1658357
>If Donkey Kong replaces Kiddy, then who would be brainwashed to be KAOS alongside Diddy? Fucking Candy Kong?
Only tangentially related, but I'd play a game in which Candy and Funky Kong go and ruin the Kremling's shit.

>> No.1659450

>>1659443
>Donkley Kong Country 4: Funky's Big Score

>> No.1659456

>>1659424
add plus 10 years and you're gold

Not playing a game makes me underage automatically?

nevermind.
And I like to buy games, that's why I asked.

>> No.1659460

>>1659456
If you want to buy then yeah, you'll have to get a SNES

>> No.1659469

>>1659379
GBA got a re-release of all three with some extras (3 got a whole new soundtrack even), but the graphics are drastically worse.

>>1659424
Believe it or not, not everyone here has played all the videogames as a kid. Some people just want to see what they missed out on for whatever reason.

>> No.1659485

>>1659469
>Believe it or not, not everyone here has played all the videogames as a kid
Yeah, I don't understand that attitude. Surely most kids had to choose between nintendo or sega? Or N64 or Playstation? Who the fuck was an idort at, like, 10 years old?

>> No.1659487

>>1659485
I was with Sega first, then the N64 and Gamecube.

>> No.1659491

>>1658971
I don't know where you get the "clunky" feeling from, but minimalistic is a very fitting description. It's a pure package of precision platforming action with no alternate paths or bonus worlds, and you have a limited but effective move set to carry you through the carefully designed levels. It's this simplicity combined with the unsurpassed atmospheric qualities that make DKC1 my favorite entry to pick up and play again and again - I run through it several times a year just because it's so much fun.

Still, different folks prefer different types of gameplay, and I think it's unfair (for yourself mostly) to write off the whole trilogy after only playing the first one. DKC2 takes a new approach in direction towards adventure, rewarding exploration with more challenges as you progress. Because every level has several things for you to find, cleverly hidden away, the pacing and approach you take to playing becomes fundamentally different.

Now, DKC1 did have lots of bonuses too, but they were basically all the same four types recycled over and over. DKC2's bonuses can be generalized into a few types as well, but there's much more variation in implementation. Additionally, DKC1 didn't offer anything besides increased clear% and your own satisfaction for being a clever explorer. In DKC2 you will DEFINITELY want to be on the lookout, as unlocking some of the very best content and the real ending requires finding and beating those hidden-away bonuses.

>> No.1659503 [DELETED] 
File: 39 KB, 256x223, a501.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1659485

>Who the fuck was an idort at, like, 10 years old?

I was, Genesis and SNES during the 4th, PS1, Saturn and N64 during the 5th, also had a 3DO briefly before trading it for a PS1. I was never aware of how lucky I was, I guess... or maybe I liked vidya too much, I only ever asked for vidya as presents for birthdays and all my saved money was spent on vidya. My family was never rich, just middle-class, so yeah...

Was being an idort the reason I don't understand fanboyism? Or are there people who are fanboys and yet they're still fanboys for a company or console?

Anyway, sorry for OT...

thanks to this thread, I couldn't stop listening to DKC 1,2,3 OSTs all week... fucking Mining Melancholy is a masterpiece.

>> No.1659505 [DELETED] 

>>1659485

I was, Genesis and SNES during the 4th, PS1, Saturn and N64 during the 5th, also had a 3DO briefly before trading it for a PS1. I was never aware of how lucky I was, I guess... or maybe I liked vidya too much, I only ever asked for vidya as presents for birthdays and all my saved money was spent on vidya. My family was never rich, just middle-class, so yeah...

Was being an idort the reason I don't understand fanboyism? Or are there people who are fanboys and yet they're still fanboys for a company or console?

Anyway, sorry for OT...

thanks to this thread, I couldn't stop listening to DKC 1,2,3 OSTs all week... fucking Mining Melancholy is a masterpiece.

>> No.1659507

>>1659485

Was being an idort the reason I don't understand fanboyism? Or are there people who are idorts and yet they're still fanboys for a company or console?

Anyway, sorry for OT...

>> No.1659508

>>1659456
The trilogy was on available on Wii's VC, but was taken off the catalog a few years back. Likely some licensing dispute with MS-controlled Rare or just Nintendo being cheap as usual, we don't know. These are still floating around online, though.

Any particular reason why you HAVE to buy the games? Would at least recommend trying before you buy. Even though I absolutely love the trilogy, it might not be your thing if you've never played them before.

RetroArch (cue the trolls in the next few minutes) has very low latency and you can use SNES controllers with it. Emulating will give you better results if using an LCD screen, hooking real hw up to these is a nightmare. I perform equally as well in DKC using RA as on my SNES, and now with autismal CRT shaders it's all looking bretty gud too. Actually I prefer emulating because I'm in PAL region and can play proper 60Hz DK's now.

>> No.1659509

>>1659469
The GBA releases are terrible, definitely don't get these for your first time playing or you'll be doing yourself a huge disservice.

>> No.1659787

>>1659509
>The GBA releases are terrible
Not really. They're very competent and aside from the washed out colour palette and altered sound effects there isn't much wrong with them. Better than the Mario ports at least.

But yeah play the SNES versions.

>> No.1659819

>>1659787
They running physics are way off, you don't have to be a speedrunner to notice.

>> No.1659852

The games are pretty much style over substance. Nothing special.

>> No.1659875
File: 411 KB, 1200x1200, 1375259754063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1644058
No. Super Mario Bros. is one of the best, Legend of Zelda is one of the best, Ultima, Street Fighter, etc.

Donkey Cong Country are a bunch of nice, inventive platformers, but they rely too much on their pre-rendered 3D gimmick, which looks awful today (unlike proper pixelart), the sprites are too large in size for the resolution (compare to SMW), physics are floaty, difficulty curve is very uneven, and the third game in the series is a borderline shark jump, what with all the one-time gimmicks in almost every single level.

>> No.1659876

>>1652413
>>1652514
As someone that recently played through DKCR for the first time and really enjoyed it, what specifically makes Tropical Freeze more of a "new DKC"? I haven't played Tropical Freeze, so I'm not baiting.

>> No.1660073

>>1659875
>physics are floaty
If there's ONE thing DKC did perfectly, that was nailing physics. I can understand someone not liking the CG sprites or thinking they take up too much space on the screen, and agree about DKC3 having huge problems with poor level design, but floaty physics? Not sure we played the same series.

>> No.1662109

>>1659876
I would like to know this too. Did they alter the physics to something more closely resembling the originals? Did they put grabs back on the same button as rolls where it should be?

>> No.1662130

Hot Head Bop is best song

>> No.1662959

>>1644058
I still get pissed that the big DK wasn't playable in 2 and 3. Other than that, yeah, they're pretty cool.

>> No.1666037

What are the Donkey Kong Land games like?

>> No.1666150

>>1644069
you are literally a nostalgiafag

>> No.1666156

>>1659875
>which looks awful today (unlike proper pixelart)
It doesn't, though. The levels are gorgeous.

>> No.1666340

>>1651421
But It's one big island
Everything up to Poison Pond is perfect in DKC1

In DKC2 everything after The first area is perfect

>> No.1666938

>>1659876

It's just your typical /vr/ nostalgia fags who think a David Wise OST instantly makes it better. Returns is better in some ways, Freeze is better in some ways. They're both fantastic games and neither is the other's lesser.

>> No.1666990

>>1666340
>Poison Pond
that's my favorite swimming level in DKC. But I'd agree that worlds 5 and 6 are overall pretty flawed compared to the rest. Especially 6. :-/

>> No.1667362

>>1666938
>It's just your typical /vr/ nostalgia fags who think a David Wise OST instantly makes it better

/v/ is the same, even going so far as to call it his best work even though it comes nowhere close to his music in the original trilogy

>> No.1668405

>>1659507
>My family was never rich, just middle-class, so yeah...
This is literally what every rich kid says

>> No.1668468

Donkey Kong Country 3 is my favorite. The tight gameplay and world map does the trick for me.

>> No.1668837

>>1666340
>last paragraph

couldn't fucking agree more

when i was a kid though, i thought the exact opposite

somewhere, in a storage locker in nintendo's cellars is a box full of DAT tapes containing the original 3D models of every item in every DKC game, unused, rotting

>> No.1668838

>>1659507
>Mining Melancholy
dat fucking c-section

>> No.1669760

>>1666938
It does though. Returns had what, one song that wasn't a remix?