[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 781 KB, 723x479, Final-Fantasy-VI-Advance2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1640289 No.1640289 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk retro RPG

* What was the RPG that got you into the genre?

* Which RPG defines the genre for you?

* What were your favorite RPG music tracks?

* Which retro RPG would make a cool poster to hang on your wall?

>> No.1640303
File: 1.17 MB, 912x570, TreasureOfTheRudrasJapan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>* What was the RPG that got you into the genre?
Breath of Fire. Not that good in retrospect, but that's all I had, and boy did I play it to death.

>* Which RPG defines the genre for you?
FFV. Perfected the classic turn-based/ATB JRPG gameplay.

>* What were your favorite RPG music tracks?
Way too many to list. Anything by Nobuo Uematsu and Yoko Shimomura is fucking god tier though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Big_jIVGfVw

>* Which retro RPG would make a cool poster to hang on your wall?
Anything drawn by Amano really. Or pic related.

>> No.1640313

>>1640289
Pokemon Red version. I think I was 9 or 10 when I first played it.

Tough to say really. If we go by childhood then Red version.

So many great ones. I'll just go with FFVII. It has a soundtrack unmatched by nearly every other game imo. It would be either best game soundtrack or near best for me. Probably best though.

None actually since I am a rather plain guy.

>> No.1640330

Super Mario RPG, Pokemon

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger. I'm actually working on a piece for one of my ensembles for school based on the different Eras in the game.

Not Quest 64. Not that it isn't an ok game I guess, but I don't want that fucking stupid hair on my wall.

>> No.1640334

No RPG will be cool on your wall. It is like kryptonite for butts. No sesh for you ever.

>> No.1640347

>What was the RPG that got you into the genre?
The Pokemon R/B/Y games for sure. As a kid the grinding in RPGs always got in my way of me having fun but putting it into the context of raising a bunch of magical creatures from pudgy babies into total beastly power houses made it super rewarding.

>Which RPG defines the genre for you?
Probably the first Final Fantasy for the NES. It's the first time I felt like an NES RPG really painted a beautiful unique picture. It was gorgeous, simplistic and really fun.

>What were your favorite RPG music tracks?
Anything from Mystic Quest, the music in that game is phenomenal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcHl_MD-srA

Also Chrono Trigger had some great tracks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2JSzoF5A1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsAyO9oW00

>Which retro RPG would make a cool poster to hang on your wall?
I'm a huge Toriyama fan so anything from the NES Dragon Quest games would be cool.

>> No.1640352

>>1640330
>Super Mario RPG, Pokemon
I suspect a lot of RPGers got their starts with Super Mario RPG and Pokemon. I'm one of them. Born in 1986, I was just the right age to finally understand how RPGs work. And SMRPG and Pokemon were just simple enough to get me hooked.

But honestly, as a child, I thought there was no other game like Breath of Fire III.

>> No.1640384

>>1640352
Well Pokemon R/B/Y are the most successful RPG's to date. They came at the right time. Children loved it. It really helped how much more simple the games were in comparison to other RPG's. The constant discovery of new monsters also assured a kid would want to keep playing to find more.

Born in 89 and I still have huge nostalgia for how great R/B/Y was as a kid.

>> No.1640403
File: 558 KB, 700x989, 1372565577197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A tricky question.
I grew up in a PAL territory, and had a Mega Drive, NES and SNES, but only like 1-2 games each; Chakan + Crueball, Solstice, and Lylat Wars + Super Gameboy. Also had an actual Gameboy (Pocket), but the only RPG I ever played on it was Pokemon Red. By the time I was old enough to enjoy games for the story, the console I'd moved onto the N64 which somewhat isolated me from the genre. Only in 2010 did I start playing RPGs with any regularity, and I've had scant time to invest in older ones since.
I guess Pokemon then. Although I dropped the series after Gen 3 because I lacked a DS.

Depends what you mean by "defines the genre".
The defining game of my Childhood was Pokemon, but my favourite /vr/ RPG is Earthbound (played on an emulator). For the game that had the greatest lasting impact, and more or less defines the genre itself however I'd have to go with Final Fantasy VII.

Probably the Decisive Battle from FFVI. Also the Champion theme from Pokemon R/B/Y. Not /vr/, but my favourite RPG music comes from Ar Tonelico;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1GtMiKXE_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrVFmgdfraU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSUaKHRz44

Anything by Amano. Preferably landscapes though because his character design is ass.

>> No.1640404
File: 504 KB, 1600x1200, Wall_IX_38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Probably Chrono Trigger. It's the first one I remember playing. That or FF7.

I agree with >>1640347. The whole FF series is what I think when I hear "RPG", and the first game set the standard for the series. It's not my favorite, but it's the foundation.

Hard to pick just a few. Just about anything from Chrono Trigger, FF7 or 9. Super Mario RPG also had some pretty rad music.

Probably FF9. I really love the art design of that game.

>> No.1640410

Pokemon Red was my first RPG. I'm not all that nostalgic for it though. It's got a lot of problems. I'd imagine anyone well versed in RPGs probably would not have been very impressed by it.

This is tough, as there are many different sub-genres, and I don't think you can adequately sum up all of RPGs with one game. But I guess when I think RPG, I think of going on a big adventure, and almost any Final Fantasy does that pretty well. I'll say FF9, as it does that mix of light hearted and seriousness pretty well. And as Sakaguchi said, it's the closest thing to his ideal vision of Final Fantasy.

Just about anything by Nobuo Uematsu, Yoko Shimomura, Yasunori Mitsuda, and Jeremy Soule.

Not much of a poster guy myself, but Chrono Trigger would be pretty rad, and I like Toriyama even though he only knows how to draw like three characters.

>> No.1640427

>>1640289

Ultima Underworld.

I don't really know what you mean by that. If you mean whhich one I think is the best, it would probably be Mask of the Betrayer these days, or PS:T if I had to stick to retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Ttd6XnlPk

I would love to have a poster of Erika and Rentar-Ihrno (from Exile III) slugging it out.

>> No.1640429
File: 119 KB, 320x580, metalmaxreturnsboxart[3].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289

Pokemon. Well, I guess to be fair before I got my copy of Pokemon I played through a nice chunk of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest with friends. We were pretty into that.

Final Fantasy V

Not going to bother here. It's just going to be a wall of Youtube links that no one is going to click or a list of songs no one is going to read. Well, maybe later, but I can't be assed to think it all up at the moment.

See image.

>> No.1640552
File: 37 KB, 558x294, dragon knight weapon shop.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Might and Magic 3

Ultima

I've been contemplating to make a mosaic out of a PC88 game. Elf did some nice art and with only 8 colors it should be doable.

>> No.1640676

>*What was the RPG that got you into the genre?
Pokemon R/B/Y

Honestly after going back and playing most of the oldschool RPG's, the original DQ on the NES. Although it was a nightmare to finish, it's so charming to see this was the origin of all popular RPG archtypes.

GoldenSun honestly doesn't get the love and appreciation it deserves. A lot of people write it off as a simple RPG that's relatively easy to play and beat, but many don't consider just how artistically beautiful the game is. Check out it's OST and every song in both the original and its sequel are memorable/enjoyable.

DQ poster with slimes and whatnot, slimes are just too damn cool.

>> No.1640686
File: 183 KB, 400x600, bals2thewallmovie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289
> What was the RPG that got you into the genre?
FINAL FANTASY
> Which RPG defines the genre for you?
FINAL FANTASY
> What were your favorite RPG music tracks?
THAT SONG FROM FINAL FANTASY
> Which retro RPG would make a cool poster to hang on your wall?
PIC RELATED

>> No.1641326
File: 204 KB, 500x347, Breathoffire2_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I honestly can't remember but the biggest suspects are Final Fantasy (I swear I was the ONLY kid in the PAL territory who had this game in early 90s) and Swords and Serpents. However the games that really made me a RPG faggot were Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy III(VI) and Secret of Mana.

These 3 games define the whole RPG genre IMO:
Dragon W̶a̶r̶r̶i̶o̶r̶ Quest III, its a game both J- and WRPGs should draw influence from and combines the best from both worlds.
Ultima IV: Quest of Avatar is a perfect example of what a "real RPG" focused on non-linear exploration should be like.
Final Fantasy V is a perfected form of classic JRPG focused of fun fast paced gameplay instead of FMV cutscenes and 2derp4u stories newer JRPGs have gone overboard with.

Final Fantasy VIII's is hands down my favorite but I also like many individual songs from FFVI and Breath of Fire II.

Breath of Fire II?

>> No.1643624

>>1640352
>just the right age to finally understand how RPGs work
I don't understand why someone under the age of 10 couldn't play and understand an RPG unless they're illiterate.

>> No.1643708
File: 197 KB, 650x813, nes-final-fantasy1-24x30[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1643624
Yeah, I don't get it either. Age was also the whole reason I got into RPGs in the first place: I felt like I could get a whole lot further in Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest than I could with games like Mario and Megaman, which I was complete shit at and could never make it past the first few stages. Also the fantasy genre was pretty much the coolest thing ever to me when I was a kid, so that probably helped a lot.

>> No.1643729

>entry RPG
Final Fantasy IX

>definition RPG
Final Fantasy II

>best music
Tomba 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dywzb3XQ6Q

>poster RPG
Lufia II

>> No.1643737

I was a PAL-kid so most JRPGs didn't made it to my country. The first was Secret of Mana, then Secret of Evermore followed by the Soul Blazer series. My first traditional JRPG with turn-based battles and stuff was FF7 in 1997 I think. Ironically, I didn't liked it that much at first since it was so different from everything which was a 'real RPG' at that time. Now it's one of my favorite PSX titles.

I don't play that much JRPGs these days. Somehow the magic is gone. The stories are just seeming ridiculous to me, the pacing often too slow and I'm generally too easily distracted. I still can enjoy the old games I've played back then though.

>> No.1643805

mario rpg

actually hated other rpgs growing up... thought they were boring

>> No.1643828

Shining Force II, Pokemon gens 1 and 2 and FF Advance: Dawn of Souls. Without one I probably wouldn't have even revisited retro-RPGs later.

Definitely the FF series, specifically FFVI, it's my favorite game of all time and my standard for other RPGs.

Anything by Nobuo Uematsu. If I had to choose a favorite track, it'd probably be Royal Palace from FFV, just for how bubbly and catchy the tune was, with Terra's theme in FFVI as a close second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G3qLjiLC1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6t_uyg_pF8

>Which RPG would make a cool poster to hang on your wall?
Tough, I'd take any of the FFs, they all have awesome art. Chrono Trigger would also be a cool poster to have.

>> No.1643832

>>1643729
FFII as in FFIV or FFII as in FFII? Because fuck, FFII is pretty bad.

>> No.1643841

>>1643832
>opinion
thanks for hurting my feeling :((

>> No.1643881

>>1643624
I sucked shit at games when I was a kid. Like, sucked really hard. I played the shit out of Sonic for years, and never even got close to beating it.

I can't even imagine what I would have been like with a RPG. My first one was Pokemon when I was 8. If I had tried playing a more complex RPG when I was younger, I would not have had a clue as to what to do.

Fortunately, I got better.

>> No.1643895

>>1643881
Most RPGs can be eventually beaten by grinding to a point that obviates any skill requirements. For action games, there's only gitting gud. RPGs also require an entirely different set of skills usually not depending on reaction or hand-eye coordination, but at best figuring out and memorizing boss patterns and other constants like elemental interactions or whatever. If you did bad with platformers it just doesn't mean you'd do bad with RPGs.

>> No.1645197

>>1643841
I'm not mad, just perplexed? How the fuck could anyone think FFII is the definition of the RPG genre? It honestly doesn't make sense.

Unless you're an a huge Elder Scrolls fanboy, and because FFII has a watered down, half-constructed version of the Elder Scrolls level system, and you didn't want to say anything other than JRPGs in this thread or else you'd be made fun of you decided to put FFII.

Also, I don't give a fuck about your feelings. Be aware of your surroundings.

>> No.1645227
File: 195 KB, 1024x768, grandia fuck yeah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Most of the retro RPGs I play seem to be JRPGs...

>First RPG
FF9. Only console we had for years was an SNES. Didn't even realize RPGs existed until we got a PS2 and FF9 was one of the games we got with it for christmas. Really blew me away and introduced me to the whole genre.

>Defining RPG
Honestly, still FF9. It has a fantastic cast of characters that really make the game - honestly not a single important character I dislike in that game - on top of good music and a really nice art direction. A lot of people seemed to hate the more cartoony-style of characters, but I love that kind of thing in fantasy games. The story got a bit wonky at times, but honestly even having weird story twists has become a part of RPGs to me. This answer might be partly nostalgia for my first RPG, but I've replayed it a number of times throughout the years and recently, I still think it holds up extremely well, even though I can now recognize a few flaws with it. But no RPG is without flaws.

>Best music
FF8 had one of my favorite OSTs to any game. Despite whatever problems you might have with the game, the music is still fucking top-notch.

>Poster
Pretty much anything Grandia. Dat sense of adventure man.

>> No.1645249

>1st RPG
PS1 for SMS
>genre-defining RPG
FFIV.
>favourite track
Not technically a track from some RPG or anything since it's actually a piece for piano published in the 1890s or 1880s (forgot which), but Persona 2 includes Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No.1 in its soundtrack. That's one of my favourite pieces.
>cool poster
None. I love them, but RPGs are decidedly uncool.

>> No.1645314

>>1640289
Pokemon silver
Chrono Trigger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhXbFiDGHhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ICTd__N1OY

>> No.1645317

>>1645314
I even remember putting the sound to max when battling against Lance / Red.

>> No.1645337
File: 78 KB, 666x577, shadowrun3l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FF1, my mom got it when it first came out and we played the shit out of that broken ass game, was so much fun and really opened a whole world to me

Daggerfall, say what you want but since playing this game adventure and stories never felt the same, the whole process felt huge and awesome and i felt progression was more realistic, still play it today

Secret of Evermore, damn i loved how every zone had music specifically tailored to it, from that big ass chessboard, to the pyramids and the volcano. the music stuck with me and damn it was so great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0i55epJuY

Shadowrun obviously, the atmosphere and lore in this world was awesome and reminded me a bit of Snow Crash. such a cool ass concept

>> No.1645376

>>1640686
I wanna do this. Do you recommend original or another version?

>> No.1645382
File: 152 KB, 750x470, Chrono_Trigger_Artwork8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pokémon Red. There weren't all that many PAL versions of JRPGs in the NES and SNES as they needed to translate the text into at least four other languages for all of Europe and it was a bit of a pain. Pokémon Red was different though, and we're all the better for it. I'm still amazed that they managed to fit so much distinct data on a cartridge and not have it all fall apart. Yes, there were a lot of glitches, but you had to look for them, it wasn't all that buggy on a straightforward playthrough. But yeah, if it wasn't for Pokémon Red I probably wouldn't have discovered RPGs until much later down the line.

Chrono Trigger. Built on the FF series' ATB mechanics so damn well, has an incredible story, amazing game all told.

Because I Love You from Earthbound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvkMUinORSg
Corridors of Time from Chrono Trigger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqZb7hY1S0
The Veldt from Final Fantasy VI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEMYYi4F-sk

Always quite liked this one from Chrono Trigger by Toriyama.

>> No.1645445

>>1640686
What Final Fantasy do you think best?

>> No.1645459

Chrono Trigger/Earthbound.

This thread wasn't really necessary. There, I answered it for 99% of /vr/.

>> No.1645469

>>1645382
That pic makes me want to play a Chrono Trigger re-imagining that's controlled like Demon's Souls.

>> No.1645479
File: 175 KB, 800x440, rs3boxfront.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Final Fantasy IV, to this day it's still the first jRPG I recommend to newcomers to the genre. It has everything: A classic save-the-world story, well-defined classes, some challenging (for a first timer) bosses and challenging optional bosses.

Final Fantasy IV

Anything by Uematsu, Mitsuda, Ito and Hamauzu.

A clean version of pic related.

>> No.1646140

>>1645459
You forgot FFIV. And FFV. And FFVI. And FFVII. And FFIX. And literally almost every other retro-RPG imaginable. /vr/ isn't a retro version of the /v/ hivemind you retard. Lurk more or stop projecting your preferences onto the whole board.

Both of those are really, really good though, at least you don't have shit taste.

>> No.1646147

>>1645445
Final Fantasy VIII

>> No.1646165

FF7 and Super Mario RPG

Skies of Arcadia and FF9, to me, are quintessential RPGs.

Anything from the Xenogears soundtrack.

Front Mission.

>> No.1646175

>>1646140
those are not even my preferences, CT is good but not nowhere as great as the internet says and Earthbound a shit

they're just the only RPGs that are talked about on this board

>> No.1646213

>>1646175
And the FF series, as well as other lesser known RPGs, are talked about just as much(and much more in FFs case) than either Earthbound or CT. I've seen countless more FF threads, either about the whole series or a specific game, than I have Earthbound, which is only barely ever talked about.

Earthbound and CT are to /vr/ like what Hellboy is to /co/; everyone knows they're both amazing and therefore there is never any real need to make conversation. With FF there are so many differing opinions that threads are at least warranted because everyone has something to say(even if 8 times out of 10 those threads devolve into"LEL, KEFKA IS THE BEST FF VILLAIN, VI BEST FF!" and ">IMPLYING THAT CLOWN IS BETTER THEN LE SEPHIROTH, FFVII IS BEST FF!" shitfests.).

CT threads are much more common, but are still dwarfed by the vast amount of FF threads that come up in any given week. Once again, /vr/ isn't a hivemind like /v/, we make threads about whatever the fuck we feel like and see if people respond.

>> No.1646220
File: 1018 KB, 400x225, -cringe-.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1646213
>they're both amazing

>> No.1646250

>>1646220
At least in the eyes of /vr/, and most of the people that have played them. That's why there are never any threads on them, because most of the time when you ask someone they go "Yeah, that game was the shit!" and life goes on. And people who shit talk them(and/or sometimes just point out legitimate flaws) just get shit on until they leave the thread. It doesn't make for an interesting thread, people would rather argue or just talk about different games in the same genre that often get overlooked.

>> No.1646278

>>1640289
Super Mario RPG.

I don't know, the only real "definitive" RPG is D&D because it influenced everything else. Final Fantasy continues to be the benchmark for console RPG's though, for better or for worse.

Basically anything from Square and Squarenix. Even though their new games suck, they still have godlike soundtracks.

The Secret of Mana box art, with the three PC's standing by the Mana Tree. I don't like Seiken Densetsu that much, but that is one gorgeous picture.

>> No.1646323
File: 18 KB, 500x375, flag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289

Pokémon Red/Blue or Yellow. Which ever I played first. If they don't count then I guess either Chrono Trigger or Paper Mario.

Chrono Trigger or Skies of Arcadia. Both have great music, nice visuals, an interesting story, cool characters, large worlds to explore and much much more. Skies of Arcadia is my favourite game of all time, so maybe it might beat CT by a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsj5xjoLXtE (Kingdom of Zeal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyaA4HHq1s (Memories of Green)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YfIHieP30g (Mysteries of the Forest)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrMbfZ05puQ (Blue Rouge's Ship)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KZxldHzYss (Eastern Air Pirates)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iukhv4-oVc (Kingdom of Nasrad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_Bh4ZlTe0 (Kingdom of Ixa'taka)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ags8bUFsZwM (Route 34)

I like the themes that give a sense of wonder or adventure. Most of the above give a feeling of being somewhere new or traveling around.

Skies of Arcadia man. I'd love to hang up the flag. It came with the Special Edition Japanese version, which I hope to own one day.

>> No.1646357

Chrono Trigger and FFIV

Chrono Trigger. It's got every element a JRPG typically has, cliches and all. And though less cliche items exist, Trigger's about the only one that blends them all together well at once.

Theme of Frog (Chrono Trigger)
Lavender Town (Pokemon, FR/LG>RBY)
National Park (Pokemon GSC)

Dragon Quest IV-VI, Romancing Saga 3, Final Fantasy IX.

>> No.1646359

>>1646357
Whoops, forgot two for the poster:

Live-A-Live
Treasure of the Rudras

>> No.1646557 [DELETED] 

>>1645197
don't be so mean :(((((

No I don't like Elder scrolls. And gr8 job comparing elder scrolls to a NES game. This thread is about opinions.

>> No.1646604

>>1646557
Well yours are honestly retarded. At this point it seems you're just baiting, so I won't argue anymore. Either give me some actual reasons why you like FFII or just accept that you have the shittiest taste imaginable.

This ain't reddit kid, your shitposting and/or ignorance isn't tolerated here.

>> No.1646716
File: 110 KB, 640x1166, Shin Megami Tensei II.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289
Azure Dreams on the PSX
> Which RPG defines the genre for you?
Dragon Quest III. Fun, charming, and just the right amount of difficulty
> What were your favorite RPG music tracks?
second boss theme from SMRPG, Chrono Trigger theme, the whole Mouryou Senki Madara soundtrack
I'd love to have the cover to Shin Megami Tensei II or I, The Last Armageddon, or Metal Max 2

>> No.1646737
File: 962 KB, 1084x1648, azel002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289
Final Fantasy V. Played it on an emulator in my cousin's house, on his save file. Then got the PS1 port.
Final Fantasy V.
Theme of Grandia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMz-beUghuU

Ecce Valde Generous Ale / Title Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENVr0iBrah0

In Search of the Holy Sword
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peHXPMnGK6A

Lenna's Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WseXLV4YUKA

Panzer Dragoon Saga. I actually have a huge poster of the art pic related I had made since I love it so much.

>> No.1646741

>>1640289
*Dragon Warrior/Quest 3

*If I have to go Retro, Chrono Trigger

*Definitely the 2300 A.D. overworld theme from Chrono Trigger

*This, by far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-s-VQBoUdc

*Any Dragon Warrior/Quest 3 artwork. Toriyama's drawing style may be one of the most simple throughout the eastern world, but it's what I grew up on.

>> No.1646789

>>1640289
Final Fantasy 2 (IV). due to NP hype I rented FF when it came out, but couldn't RPG's. than when FF2 came out I rented it and fell in love. (also went back and played FF1 and loved it, now that I understood how to play RPG's)

I don't think there is a "defining" game, but I'll say FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and DQIII are probably my favorites.

idk, but I've always really dug the tunes in SoM

dunno duncare

>> No.1646824

>>1646737
once again, I am sad that few Saturn games ever get ports, and that Saturn emulation is so damned difficult

>> No.1646851

Moebius, on the Mac? maybe... I don't remember which I played first. that, or Dragon Warrior, or Ultima IV.

* Which RPG defines the genre for you?
Probably the first Dragon Warrior. everything flows from that game. as for the one that impacted me the most, Final Fantasy VI

* What were your favorite RPG music tracks?
Chrono Trigger, by Yasunori Mitsuda
Balance is Restored, from FF6. Yes! all 20 minutes! I love it!
Mystic Quest had some fantastic, for such a lame game. Dungeon of Waterfall is just beautiful

I used to have >1643708 that guy's Final Fantasy poster, from Nintendo Power. I miss it ;_;

>> No.1647036

Mystic Quest

Chrono Trigger, any early FF games

EarthBound & Chrono Trigger

No.

>> No.1647050
File: 251 KB, 1278x1024, baldurs_gate_2__irenicus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

got me into the genre:
The Genie's Curse on MS-DOS. When my first copy didn't work I had to buy it again, and that time it came in a collection with a whole load of RPGs including the Dark Sun games. Got me hooked on RPG games.

defines the genre:
Final Fantasy II/IV on the SNES. Everything about this game, from the graphics, to the tone, to the music, to the length, is right. Love it.

favorite music track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2thohedmteQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCXs-Gpld_8

Poster:
I used to have pic related poster on my wall.

>> No.1647097

>>1640289
Final Fantasy 1 for the NES. I thought it was great that I could make characters and go on an advanture.

Can't really say, I like a lot of different RPGs. I really look back to tabletop games to get a definition of the genre though.

Too many to name, but Diablo 1/2 had some great ones. So did anything by Square.

I used to have the original FF3 map on my wall, took it down when I got into high school because of girlfriend.

>> No.1647110

>>1647097
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8klPYjS3ws

>> No.1648783
File: 601 KB, 1410x1484, TMP7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1640289
FFVI (III US)

I suppose the Final Fantasy series as a whole. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear RPG, as much as I hate to admit that considering where the franchise is heading.

Quite a lot. Secret of Evermore had some great tracks and it's one of the first games that I can remember where I specifically stayed in an area to listen to its music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv3nOG_0yTA especially. Then there's Terranigma's overworld which I did the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBH0orRDkjw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7DwbXX2pE.. Not sure if SoA counts as retro so I'll just say that the first map theme is one of my favorite RPG music tracks, too.

Breath of Fire, for sure.

>> No.1651035
File: 964 KB, 1241x821, 1400168644667.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump.