[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 137 KB, 256x258, Pokémon_Pinball_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1634714 No.1634714 [Reply] [Original]

What does /vr/ think of pinball-themed vidya? I just picked up Pokemon Pinball and Kirby's Pinball Land for Game Boy, and it made me curious about games like these. What are some other top-tier titles, and how do those of you who play real pinball feel about 'em?

For my own part, I sank so much time into Pokemon Pinball as a kid, especially on long road trips. I find them to be great pick-up-and-play games.

>> No.1634907
File: 13 KB, 255x224, Pinball_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I loved the Pinball game for NES as a kid.

However, when I got Pokemon Pinball I didn't enjoy it much, mainly because I sucked at it and got mad everytime I played it, ended up not having fun and frustrated.
Mainly because instead of playing just for having fun, I was obsessed with catching 'em all, everytime I missed catching a rare monster I wanted to smash the gameboy, what a faggot.
Thinking back, it wasn't a bad game... certainly had a lot of depth for a pinball game, what with traveling to different cities, or the bonus stages, but I ended up trading the game for something else after some time.

Other than that, the only other pinball games I played were Sonic Spinball PC version (didn't like it), and the classic 3D pinball game for DOS on PC, which I wasted a lot of time with, but ultimately, the old NES pinball is still the one I have the fondest memories with, it was simple but just fun and comfy.

I've heard Galactic Pinball for Virtual Boy is excellent (and has a Samus cameo), but I still never got to try it.

>> No.1635235
File: 123 KB, 600x450, Devil's Crush.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Devil's Crush on the TG-16/PCE is one of the very best. If you don't own a TG-16, a slightly inferior port on the Sega Genesis called Dragon's Fury exists and the TG-16 version is on the Virtual Console, although they removed some pentagrams.

The music is also great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHCCoNyNFtY

>> No.1635380

>>1635235

>inferior port
>has better music than TG version

Also, there's both Dragon's Fury (US) and Devil Crash (JP) for Genesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxxKekYvxcU

>> No.1635464
File: 267 KB, 640x909, devil crash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1635380
>>1635235
>inferior port
Not only the music is much cooler, but the visuals are clearer and tables are a lot more detailed. It's the superior version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_DnpZdJ_yY

>> No.1635945
File: 57 KB, 336x476, Sonic_Spinball_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finally beat Sonic Spinball on an emulator
I remember playing when I was about 5 years old and had no clue what the objectives were, but I still had fun.

Slow FPS tho.

>> No.1636112

>>1635945

Yeah, emulators don't have blast processor

>> No.1636162
File: 14 KB, 320x256, Pinball_Dreams_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the Naxat pinball games, don't really care about which version. The only own I ever owned is Dragon's Fury for Sega Genesis, the rest I emulated.

Also very good is Amiga version of Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies. Unlike the Naxat games, this is closer to traditional pinball, but the physics and bonuses and stuff feels really good. The tunes are pretty cool too, and there's a nice variety of tables.

About the only other game I played much is Tristan Pinball for DOS. It's more primitive that the others I mentioned, but still fun. And this one is probably the closest to a real pinball machine.

Other than that, I sometimes get a kick out of playing the *really* old stuff, like Night Mission Pinball, or various Pinball Construction Set tables, but they're quite primitive and the physics are strange somtimes.

>> No.1636189
File: 2.27 MB, 1600x3598, pro pinball.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After playing Pro Pinball for several years, everything else feels plain inferior because of the physics. As a kid I thought it was hard as fuck (while still really enjoyable because of the graphics and music), but that's because the physics are very advanced, probably still the most accurate in any pinball vidya despite being almost 20 years old as a series. The whole series was basically way ahead of its time and died slowly off because the casual audience puts quantity (ie. the number of tables) over quality (physics, graphics, table design etc).

>> No.1636258
File: 48 KB, 320x300, Side-by-Side-Dragons-Fury-Devils-Crush-2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1635380
>>1635464
It's a matter of taste, but I definitely prefer the TG-16 version's non-squished and cleaner visuals over the Genesis version. The music is awesome in both versions however, and some of the new bonus levels are great.

Jaku Crush on the Super Famicom is also pretty neat. Stay away from Dragon's Revenge though, it's horrible.

>> No.1636419

>>1636258
different anon, but yeah, the MD/G version has more going on, but the T16 is definitely more clear, and in that gif the dragon head looks way fucking better.

This is the first time I've listened to the MD music for Devil's Crush though, I'm kinda torn, I LOVED the T16 version, but this is a really good use of the MD sound.

>> No.1636468
File: 68 KB, 640x544, vikings table.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best vidya table ever.

>> No.1636474

I recall playing a bunch of pinball games by Epic. I remember the Android table, but there was another game that came out later.

I know one of the tables was an Africa/safari theme. Another was ...cop? maybe a spooky house? I can't recall. I was quite young. I did play them A LOT.

I managed to glitch the safari table into an infinite loop. The ball would bounce between the two bumpers forever. I left it like that for days until I got sick of it. When I tried to actually get the ball to fall down, it wouldn't work. Tilting wouldn't work because the ball was in motion, or something. I tried to tilt while the ball touched a bumper, and ending up locking the game (can't move and ball falls down). Of course, since it was bouncing between two bumpers, it never fell.

I had to turn the machine off. It was a sad day.

>> No.1636557

I fondly remember 3D Ultra Pinball: Creepnight. It's halloween themed with 3 very. differently flavored boards and a challenging "story mode"

>> No.1638896

>>1636112
The actual game has lag, the emulator probably just makes it worse. I used to own a copy.

>> No.1638998

Some recommended pinball games:
- Revenge of the 'Gator (Game Boy)
- Pinball Quest (NES)
- Rock 'n' Ball (NES)
- Fantastic Pinball Kyutenkai (PSX)

Fantastic Pinball Kyutenkai has emulation issues unless you play a burned cd on a PSX/PS2 (where it plays perfectly).

Pokemon Pinball is one of my favourite Pokemon spin-offs and I still play it today on Game Boy emulator on my Nintendo DS. The GBA sequel was also great.They should make a new Pokemon Pinball game for 3DS eShop.

>> No.1639002

>>1634714
I was never huge into pinball, but I spent a good 100 hours cumulatively on this game when i was a kid.

>> No.1639012

Sonic Spinball and Pokemon Pinball are easily the two best.

>> No.1639018

I like pinball, but I don't like pinball video games. They never feel right to me.

>> No.1639040
File: 906 KB, 2560x1920, tmp_IMG_20140522_194620-771266914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1634714

Greetings Mr. Mahnigga

>> No.1639538

>>1639040
>translucent GBC

How?

>> No.1640732
File: 20 KB, 345x447, 1371000305305.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1639538

Afaic these were never released in the old world, there were only purple-translucent here.

Either in Japan and/or US you could buy those regulary.
Got mine off ebay..

>> No.1640743

>>1640732
I'm in the US and I don't remember ever seeing a translucent GBC, only the glorious atomic purple. Come to think of it, I don't remember any translucent GB Pockets either.

>> No.1640824

Creep night Pinball and The Lost continent Pinball are still the best.

>> No.1640858
File: 15 KB, 300x252, 9055212-9055212-1-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found the site where i bought the translucent gbc by accident, thought i'd share:

It wasn't ebay, actually it was a German Retrogaming Shop (which i would reccomend, they put a small pack of Gummibärchen with every order; now that's classy)

http://www.konsolenkost.de/gameboy-color-konsole-transp-jap-version-gebraucht/a-9055212/
>Bei diesem Artikel handelt es sich hierbei um die seltene japanische Version!
>"(...) rare japanese version!"

I was positively surprised with the condition of the gbc. Would buy agian.

>> No.1642842
File: 53 KB, 392x584, 49634_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic is the first pinball game (virtual or real). Didn't click until a couple of months ago when I was looking for the rom that it was Nintendo's HAL.

Anyway, my favourite pinball games are:

< Rolllerball for the msx (I think the NES has a version but it's very different) wonder if it's the first pinball videogame with that really long Devils Crush-like table?
- Demons Crush and Alien Crush
- Super Pinball Behind the Mask and its jap only sequel (BTM has awesome music)
- The Saturn Pinball games by the same guys as BTM notably Necromicon
- Mostly play Pinball Arcade on PS3 when I need a fix nowadays

>> No.1642846

>>1642842
first pinball game *I ever played*, probably not the first

>> No.1642870

I had a pinball game on my Genesis as a kid that had a badass edit mode where you could put together your own table. It even had this really gorey theme you could use that had like bones for paddles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, not vidya, but Metroid Prime pinball is fucking great.

>> No.1642871

>>1642870
*not retro, my bad