[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 178 KB, 420x322, b9a4990c-0a0d-422b-b39d-9080be842.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1632410 No.1632410[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How is Breath of Fire 2? I'm making a list of VC games to download and I'm stuck on whether to try this or not. A quick Youtube tells me that fans have mixed reactions to it

I'm probably gonna buy it on cart someday anyway but at the moment I'm keeping an eye on my wallet

>> No.1632418

Most of the problems with the game revolve around it's shitty localization when even managed to get yes and no wrong, and it wasn't improved in any further releases. There's a fan translation patch though.

>> No.1632424

>>1632418
Second.

The translation fix makes the game much more enjoyable that a VC version would be.

>> No.1632429

>>1632418
>>1632424
Outside of this however, it's an outstanding game really. Lots of fun stuff you can do, interesting characters, and a neat shaman system.

>> No.1633561

Loved everything about the game on my first playthrough except the bullshit random-battle-encounter rate.

You'll get really frustrated in some dungeons when you get into random battles every two steps or so.

The game itself is great and it's atmosphere feels really dark since you'll go through politics, religion, death, rape, jk no rape but the world does feel really spooky sometimes.

>> No.1634937

It's the worst game in the series, hands down.

Also, my brother wishes I would eat shit for saying so, but the truth hurts, bitches.

>> No.1634947

>>1632410
OP, just remember to consult the walk-through and get the right contractor to build your city.

I like this game to a point. But fuck, that level grinding. Even when you find monster island.

>> No.1635161

>>1634937
>worst game in the series
The title goes to 3. Unless nostalgia googles for your first game ever which defined your taste playing as le epic le most badass dragon Ryu3.

>> No.1635483

>>1635161
No, that goes to 5.
You need a fucking guide from beginning to end if you want to have any resembance of "fun" when playing that game.

>> No.1635490
File: 986 KB, 380x174, n5bkht2DqR1r1k6rw.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1635483
>Hating on Dragon Quarter

>> No.1635505 [DELETED] 

>>1635490
I am, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

What else do you have to point out? The sky is blue, water is wet and you are a fag?

>> No.1635512

>>1634937
>It's the worst game in the series, hands down.
Care to explain why?

>> No.1635517

>>1633561
>Loved everything about the game on my first playthrough except the bullshit random-battle-encounter rate.
Don't equip the Collars on Katt, Bow or Sten.
They are cursed items that fucking DOUBLE the number of random battles. (They are useful if you need to grind up, but having a random battle every 3 steps can be fucking unnerving.)

>> No.1635519 [DELETED] 
File: 418 KB, 500x281, bj3emSO441rxe0cq.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1635505
>Not knowing about meme arrows

>> No.1635585

>>1635519
> "Oh, I was only pretending to be retarded!"

>> No.1635591
File: 878 KB, 500x286, large-.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1635585
>Thinking green text implies being retarded

>> No.1637327

>>1632410
Ehhhh, it's *ok*..... compared to other SNES rpg's it's not very good.

>> No.1637365

>>1632410
Movement is agonizingly slow for no god-damn reason whatsover.

Grinding is ludicrous.

The story is, at least without a patch, chaotic, nonsensical, you spend most of the time having no idea what the fuck is going on - even more so than in standard RPG fare, I mean. Lufia 2's story unravels at lightspeed in comparison.

The sizable character selection is pointless, as most PCs are useless, your standard party is established REALLY early on.

Oh, and there's a missable game-winning item without which you can basically forget about beating the final boss.

I suppose it's not technically a waste to buy it on VC - simply because it's not exactly expensive -, but the likelyhood of actually getting a decent amount of entertainment and fun out of playing the game is... Slim.

>> No.1637390

>>1637365
>Movement is agonizingly slow for no god-damn reason whatsover.

Based run button

>> No.1638226

>>1637365
>there's a missable game-winning item without which you can basically forget about beating the final boss
Is that Anfini? Or is that LifeBR? If you miss Anfini you are a literal blind faggot. And you can beat Deathevan without LifeBR. Even when you solo him.

BoF is a shitty series and is a literal furry bait, still it shits so fucking hard on any other jrpg series, especially on SNES turdsterous installments of those series.

>> No.1638254

It's alright, not what I would call great.

The game's biggest problem, as others have said, is its terrible, terrible translation.

I owned it for the SNES as a kid and never beat it. It was way too confusing and the dialog never makes any sense and I never had a clue where to go next.

I picked it up on the GBA later in life and managed to beat the game. I don't recall what the differences were, but I suppose it was cleaned up enough to make it beatable (or maybe I just had a higher tolerance for obscure objectives).

There's some stuff worth seeing, but don't feel too bad if you miss it. BoF didn't really become good until 3 and 4.

>> No.1638283 [DELETED] 

>>1638226
Better than Phantasy Star, though.
That game IS a fucking snoozefest, furry bait and grinding machine and let's not talk about the "online" series..

>> No.1638380 [DELETED] 

>>1638254
Except story in 3 is a complete clusterfuck so is the whole script. It is shittier than 2nd one with "bad" aka original aka the most accurate translation.

4 is an easy piece of shit. Literal press X to win. Good setting, good antagonists but insufferable main cast. Autistic gameplay.

2nd is the best BoF unless you are a PS1 autist who doesn't see the light of the day/gay furfag/kiddie whom the game was 97deep99u and too hard.

Really, it is funny to see these retarded posts like yours when i have played 2 and 4 TO DEATH nowadays and can objectively admit that 2 shits on turds what are 3 and 4. Fuck off fanboy.

>> No.1638397 [DELETED] 

>>1638283
BoF is so generic and bad they had to put in a furry to carry this garbage series. See 6th installment? Back to roots. But now for audience with different sexual orientation.

Still best jrpg.

>> No.1638402

>>1638380
>Story in 3 is a complete clusterfuck
>Wake up in a cave as a dragon
>dis is cool
>befriend a tigerman and a child
>go fight a fucking nue
>spooky haunted mansion next
>piss off the mayor, he gets 2 assassins to come kill you
>end up going to windia or some shit
>befriend the princess
>meet up with some nerd
>fight in the arena
>go to... find the birthplace of dragons?
>Garr apparently was a dragon slayer
>KO's you the fuck out
>wake up in the same first cave as a dragon, but like 7 years older
>garr comes back and tells you he's sorry and wants to know the meaning of it all
Literal what.

Its also hard as fuck, only because gear is retardedly expensive, and getting exp takes forever, but if you have
>Target
>Weretiger
>Kaiser form (infinity, ??? trance I think was the combo)
>Garr or Momo can just jerk off in the corner
You basically rape the game.

>> No.1638405 [DELETED] 

Breath of Fire is kind of like Star Ocean, in that if someone claims to really like it, you know they have horrid taste and can safely disregard their opinions.

>> No.1638410
File: 147 KB, 625x625, inigo-montoya-you-keep-using-that-word-i-dont-think-it-means-what-you-th-3b4b2920-sz625x625-animate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1638380
>Autistic

>> No.1638414 [DELETED] 

>>1638405
Stay mad cuntrag. Your jrpg is shit and so are you.

Smart people don't listen to faggots at imageboards. They dl a rom and play followed by trashing it or keeping up.

Your tears are delicious. I bet you some kind of FF nigger of something. HOW DARE I

>> No.1638416 [DELETED] 

>>1638414
You must be THIS mad to reply to this thread. Go fap to your precious furries you freak.

>> No.1638426 [DELETED] 

>>1638416
>playing the victim because they didn't waste their time to point out how much of a faggot you are and how shitty your jrpg is
/tears

>> No.1638432 [DELETED] 

>>1638426
That isn't a coherent thought. Might want to pull the dragon dildo out of your butt before posting in the future.

>> No.1638450 [DELETED] 

>>1638432
Why should one waste his time on walls of text to e-show some autist that his game is better when he can prove it in a following simple manner? Like literally:

>phd in math
>200k starting
>five steps ahead of you
>implying your opinions matter where i am

>> No.1638481

>>1638405
Funny how you are only good with pompous orations about others when your stuff isn't exposed. The reality is that you are the coward inside who hides your jrpg gems while trashing others'. You are hiding your tastes with the only low-blow excuse your wothless being is capable of. Pathetic.

>> No.1638710

>>1638254
>I don't recall what the differences were,
Not much, but what was there helped. GBA vs. SNES:
Gold/EXP given was raised
Run button (now in the retranslation as well)
New portraits
New battle menus

>> No.1638717

>>1638710
I still can't believe they used the exact same script.

>> No.1638730

Recently played this on OG hardware a few months ago for the first time. The translation is a bit rough but the other anons here are grossly over exaggerating how bad it is. I never had any issue on where to go next and the only yes/no mix up is when talking to the lead shaman bitch and she asks you if you know how to do the combining. She asks this same prompt every time you talk to her so it isn't like the yes/no mixup can cause you to miss anything or otherwise fuck up your game in either way.

>> No.1638771

>>1638717
Capcom was always known to be lazy as fuck with translation. It shows even worse in GBA BoF1; In Japan they added in names for the nameless soldiers for better identification, but this was completely removed everywhere else thanks to copypaste translation.

Luckily there's patches for this, but still.

>> No.1638841

>>1638771
fucking pex megaman x games.

translation is just lol wut

>> No.1639118 [DELETED] 

>>1637365
Except story in 3 is a complete clusterfuck so is the whole script. It is shittier than 2nd one with "bad" aka original aka the most accurate translation.

4 is an easy piece of shit. Literal press X to win. Good setting, good antagonists but insufferable main cast. Autistic gameplay.

2nd is the best BoF unless you are a PS1 autist who doesn't see the light of the day/gay furfag/kiddie whom the game was 97deep99u and too hard.

Really, it is funny to see these retarded posts like yours when i have played them all nowadays and can objectively admit that 2 shits on turds what are 3 and 4. Fuck off fanboy.

P.S. BoF is so generic and bad they had to put in a furry to carry this garbage series. See 6th installment? Back to roots. But now for audience with different sexual orientation.

Still best jrpg mainly because of furries.

>> No.1639129

>>1638254

Really, it is funny to see these retarded posts like yours when i have played all of them nowadays and can objectively admit that 2 shits on turds what are 3 and 4. Fuck off fanboy.

P.S. BoF is so generic and bad they had to put in a furry to carry this garbage series. See 6th installment? Back to roots. But now for audience with different sexual orientation. Still best jrpg mainly because of furries.

>> No.1639193

Shit like bad translation is why I will never regret learning moonrunes. I've replayed 1~3 in japanese and they make a lot more sense, none of that awkward dialogue bullshit

>> No.1639197

>>1638730
The other proof how bad is the original according to retranslation fans is seen when you get Anfini. It is the second and the last yes/no mix up where you don't lose anything if you chose wrong since chosing in jrpgs' dialogs is generally a filler and BoF series isn't a special snowflake. Dragon clan guy asks to listen to other dragon clan guys and then asks if you have listened to all of them via Yes/No. It is where it happens.

Gross overexaggeration and whiny bitching proves retranslation fans are the worst and you can safely disregard their opinions.

>> No.1639203

>>1639193
Except you're an EOP.

>> No.1639209

>>1639203
What's that?

>> No.1639213

>>1639203
>EOP

No one here knows what that means, お兄ちゃん。

>> No.1639683

>>1632410
It's a good game, but very hard compared to other JRPGs.