[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 300x156, megadrivelogo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1622235 No.1622235[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How come the Mega Drive sold poorly in Japan? I always read that it wasn't marketed well over there but it never goes in-depth.

>> No.1622238

>>1622235
we,, that's a hard one to explain, you see, back in the day, Nintendo didnt allow publishers to develop the same games over other consoles, also it might have soemthing to do with the earlieri genesis games being not that impressive, (and i am not even talking about the worthless garbage that came for the system in the US before Sonic)

>> No.1622240

>>1622238
they would have been more impressive than anything else on the market at the time.

PC engine beat the megadrive to the punch though and had a whole year to gain a following before the mega drive was ever released. That console has just as many "unimpressive" games in that time span too dude, but NEC is a huge company way bigger than nintendo so people had some faith in it too.

>> No.1622282

>>1622235
>How come the Mega Drive sold poorly in Japan? I
Because Sega had ZERO quality control over the games licensed for it's system so the rate of shit to good games was absurdly HIGH.

That's what Nintendo always tried to avoid with it's seal of quality and absurdly strict contract conditions (third party programmers only could release a limited number of games per year, forcing them of release few, but decent games instead of many shitty ones.)

>> No.1622319

>>1622238

>Nintendo didnt allow publishers to develop the same games over other consoles

But... there were a lot of multiplats on both Genesis and SNES.

By the way, how bad did Megadrive sold in Japan, exactly? I know Super Famicom was king, but did MD really sold that badly?

Anyway, Sega in Japan is known for their arcades rather than their consoles. Sega was seen as a more "americanized" company regarding consoles, I believe... watch the japanese commercials for Sonic the hedgehog games and they all have a SUEPER MURRICAN announcer and they say "BEST SELLING GAME ON USA" or something. They tried to market MD as the "cool american-like" console in Japan, and it didn't work I think.

>> No.1622335

What the fuck are you talking about faggot, nintendo had 0 quality control in japan. The amount of bad famicom games is exponentially higher than truly bad mega drive games.

>> No.1622349

>>1622319
because the sg1000 kind of sucked, the mark 3 kind of sucked so people didnt have faith in their home consoles. They finally saw how great the megadrive was at the end of the lifespan it was too late only enthusiats really had one, then they went crazy for the saturn because they finally figured out sega could make a decent console. The japanese are just as casual as the west though for every hardcore shmup fan you're going to probably have 20 jrpg fanboys. Notice the most succesful consoles of each gen in japan had the most RPGs. n64 was a flop there, saturn had a lot of good ones and the playstation had even more.

>> No.1623258 [DELETED] 

>>1622349
>only enthusiats really had

*Only enthusiasts really had

>> No.1623817

This is a great idea for a thread. It would be nice to get 2chan in on this to discuss how they felt when it came out but they're probably super xenophobic and obnoxious.

If we understood each other it would be a perfect fit.

>> No.1623841 [DELETED] 
File: 12 KB, 350x300, u.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1623258

>> No.1623846

Because the PC Engine and SNES were better

>> No.1623850 [DELETED] 

>>1623841
You must have cared enough to respond.

>> No.1623945

>>1623846
That's a matter of opinion.

>> No.1623967

>>1622282
>Because Sega had ZERO quality control over the games licensed for it's system so the rate of shit to good games was absurdly HIGH

And the NES and SNES didn't?

>> No.1623980

The Mega Drive's target audience was pretty much taken by the PC Engine in Japan before the releases started getting really good.

The PC Engine CD add-on was also an unexpected success due to some high profile releases at the time, including Tengai Makyou II which despite requiring a seemingly userbase-splitting RAM upgrade was a definite killer app in Japan. The Mega CD in comparison had a few great games but almost no developer support.

The MD's sales pretty much faltered after 1993 and most Japanese developers were switching attention to the western market, which was going strong.

With the PC-FX being a monumental failure focused on FMV quality and not being able to do any 3D graphics, most of the PC Engine userbase jumped over to the Sega Saturn and Playstation.

>> No.1624002

The real answer: fucking Nintendo had their hooks in the JP gaming market so deep that they found it hard to accept anything else. In the US the Genesis was so well received and so well marketed that it became essentially a tie between it and the SNES.

I owned both and both were glorious.

>> No.1624027

>>1622319
so mega drive was the xbox of its time
it makes sense

>> No.1624045

>>1622319
The console was out for 2 years already when Sonic was released, though...

>> No.1624647

>>1622235
Didn't have jrpgs or many shoot em ups

>> No.1624658

>>1624647
>didn't have many shoot em ups
It had like 80. That's a fucking lot.
Actually that sounds like even more than the SNES had.

>> No.1624662

>>1624002
Now look at Nintendo, mocked by everyone for not having any third party support.

>>1624658
I don't think the SNES had many to begin with, not even 10. Partly due to the shit tier CPU it had. It was essentially a Pentium III compared to the Genesis' i5.

>> No.1624667

>>1624662
That's stupidly dramatic, more like an AMD A10 compared to an i5.

>> No.1624685

>>1622235
>How come the Mega Drive sold poorly in Japan?

Because Sega failed hard with the SG1000, II, Mark 3, and Master System. So hard that Nintendo cemented itself as the video game toy machine maker. Japs are hard on their traditions, so if you have 4-5 years with Nintendo being the de facto tv game, it will be the de facto tv game for a generation.

That plus the generation that got a NES as kids were in their teens and playing Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, exclusive for Nintendo.

That plus Nintendo had an iron grip on developers, they shitcanned those who released stuff for Sega. This was relaxed later on obviously, but the damage was done. Plus Sega had little market penetration too, so they didn't care about making games for it.

That plus Sega never really got proper exclusives to drive their consoles forward. They had subpar ports of their arcade games, which were fun for a few days, but the N crowd was playing JRPGs which had them occupied for months. The only thing Sega could push was an American cartoon hedgehog (in japans eyes), who was never really popular in Japan.

It wasn't until Virtua Fighter that they had a REAL killer app, and with the exception of VF2 for Saturn, they handled that incredibly retarded.

>> No.1624705

I thought the Mark III was the Master System?

>> No.1624708

>>1624705
Meant for
>>1624685

>> No.1624715

>>1624705
They made a Japanesse <aster System after the Mark III

>> No.1624738

>>1624715
Wasn't it the same hardware?

I always thought American Master System was just the Mark III without the good FM chip.

>> No.1624796

>>1624738
Japansse Master System had the FM chips built in

>> No.1624824

>>1624796
So then how is that different from the Mark III?

>> No.1624835

>>1624824
It was sold seprately

>> No.1624875

>>1622282
>Because Sega had ZERO quality control over the games licensed for it's system

Oh great, another internet-educated millennial who thinks the Seal of Quality was based on anything but a marketing gimmick. Let me guess, you've got a Zelda wall scroll in your bedroom.

>> No.1624881

>>1624875
jeezz if you hate videogames why are you here? you fail at being hipster.

>> No.1624884

>>1624647
>I'm an idiot, let me prove it by opening my mouth

Musha Aleste
Thunder Force
Lightening Force
Gaiares
Forgotten Worlds
Twin Cobra
Atomic Robo Kid
Grind Stormer
Crying
Zero Wing
Hellfire
Raiden
Insector X
Aero Blasters

>> No.1624886

>>1624881
Nintendo fanboy confirmed for 13 year old

>> No.1624889

>>1624881
>jeez if you hate videogames why are you here?
The same could be said of the kids who come here and shit on SEGA when they have never touched one of their consoles in their lives because Angry Nintendo Youtube Whore told them to

>> No.1624893

>>1624889
>Angry Nintendo Youtube Whore told them to
Stop worshippin Eric Gaede, seriously.

>> No.1624902

>>1624893
Never heard of him, stop trying to advertise your shitty youtube channel.

>> No.1624958

>>1624902
>>1624893
>>1624889
>>1624886
>>1624881
>>1624875
Ah the playground all over again.
Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

>> No.1624996

>>1623945
Actually, they were better indeed.

Remember that Japan had more consoles available than america and the consoles came with their own, nice franchises attached to them, such as PC Kid (Bonk for us) and Nintendo's array of great franchises coming from the Famicom to the SFC, such as Rockman, Final Fantasy, Goemon, Kirby, Hokuto No Ken, Robot Taisen, Captain Tsubasa, Astro Boy, etc, plus some juicy licences from the SFC era such as Kinikkuman, Ranma 1/2, Cyborg 009, Gon, Ninja Rantarou, Macross, Gundam, Ultraman, Mazinger-Z, Wedding Peach, I.R.I.A, Patlabor, Tenchi Muyo!, etc.

As the old joke said, Sega had Sonic. And Sonic 2. And Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Blast, Sonic Pinball...

... but they didn't had the fucking robot.(Or big-ass, exclusive licenses like the big N secured for itself.)

>> No.1625001

>>1624027
It was black and clunky as well.

>> No.1625008

>>1624662
>Partly due to the shit tier CPU it had. It was essentially a Pentium III compared to the Genesis' i5.
One could also say that the Genesis' sound chip was like hitting a tincan compared to Nintendo's brass orchestra.

Yes, the genesis' sound chip could play awesome music when it was handled properly. Keyword: "when handled properly" as 4 great composers didn't made up for an avalanche of games with crappy music and raspy as dicks voice clips.

I used to play on both consoles in case any Sega purist tries to play the "Yoy didn't played a Genesis game so you have no right to have any opinion" card.

>> No.1625012

>>1624884
The Genesis had lots of shooters, but let's be honest: most of them sucked cocks.
Anyone knows how good was japan's reception of Core Design's shooters? Those assholes could program true wonders for the Mega CD.

>> No.1625014

>>1624996
>As the old joke said, Sega had Sonic.
Spoken like a true ignorant idiot who has never picked up a Genesis controller in their life.

>> No.1625017

>>1624996
Snes also had other licenses such as Yu Yu Hakusho and Sailor Moon, which one had 1 game each for the Genesis (an "enhanced" port of the first Sailor Moon game and a sweet, original Yu Yu Hakusho beat'em up.)
Nintendo basically crushed the MegaDrive through it's better licenses: if back then you liked Gundam, you could only play Gundam games on a Nintendo console, for example.
By when Nintendo's monopoly began to fade, the Mega Drive was already fucked up.

>> No.1625024

>>1625014
I have played *lots* of Genesis games and some pretentious hipster's rants will not change that.

I have almost a full goodset of Genesis roms on my laptop and I have tried almost all of them.
90% of what I played sucked dongs no matter how many insults or walls of text you try to spam.

>> No.1625025

SEGA was more concerned with making the Genesis a hit in the West and they did just that. In North America they were the company to smash Nintendo's illegal monopoly and open up a fair playing field for other home console manufacturers to join in.

>> No.1625029

>>1625014
Show me some great anime licenses exclusive for the Mega Drive and then we will discuss like proper gentlemen.

Keyword: exclusive.

>> No.1625031

>>1625024
You were the one to "spam a wall of text" here >>1624996
You've got a chip on your shoulder about the Genesis and there's no point in trying to convince you otherwise. The real gamers on /vr/ will be enjoying Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Ecco the Dolphin, Gunstar Heroes, Thuderforce, Sonic, and all of the other excellent Genesis games. Have fun being bitter.

>> No.1625034
File: 109 KB, 1040x746, le trash jilette man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625029
>anime licenses
>caring about licensed games

>> No.1625035

>>1625025
No they didn't.
EA called Sega on it's asshatery and fucked them on the ass big time, plus most, if now ALL of Sega's ads relied on vulgarities or coward attacks to Nintendo, and even with that they ended up being fucked up by Nintendo and later by Sony.

Also:
> ITT: 40+yr old losers tying to rekindle flame wars from their wasted youth days to see if this time they could win and show'em all how gnawlar they were.

>> No.1625036

>>1625034
The Genesis had no licensed games to boast about.

>> No.1625037

>>1625035
They sold 45 million Genesis for the SNES 50 million and most Genesis consoles were sold in the West. Go back to Nintendo Age or wherever you came from, ignorant fanboy retards aren't welcome here and trying to start a flamewar is against the rules.

>> No.1625039

>>1625035
EA threatened Sega with selling their reverse engineering knowledge to other publishers indeed.

I would say Sega got MADden.

>> No.1625040

>>1625039
Meanwhile Nintendo threatened stores illegally to not sell products from other companies or they would pull out and SEGA still won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtQww-VMYlQ

They even got Walmart to break Nintendo's bullshit extortion tactics and carry Genesis consoles.

>> No.1625046 [DELETED] 

>>1625037
> Threatening anon with the mods so he could win the discussion

Wow, you are not just a faggot.
You are a giga-faggot.

Also, if you need to resort to using the mods as your personal army is becayuse you knew your claims had nothing to stand on, so stay mad and cry over your failed console and failed company, old fart.

>> No.1625048

>>1625040
Walmart barely even wanted to speak to Sega of America, let alone stock its Genesis system back in the early days of the 16-bit console’s life in the U.S. This was for multiple reasons — but particularly because the Nintendo Entertainment System and its software represented nearly a 10th of the Arkansas-based retailer’s profits. Of course, having Sega probably would have made Walmart even more money — so, why did it turn down Sega of America president Tom Kalinske when he asked them to make an order?

Because Nintendo was scary as hell.

The NES manufacturer once threatened to stop filling orders for any retailers that stocked games from rogue third-party manufacturer Tengen, which released unlicensed software for the NES in an effort to avoid Nintendo’s strict contracts. Nintendo’s threat was enough to convince every retailer to stop selling Tengen games, and it rippled through the industry and convinced companies like Walmart to avoid making decisions that might upset Nintendo … like stocking the Genesis.

>> No.1625049

>>1625040
And Sega still went out of the console business.

(EA finished fucking them after the Dreamcast fiasco they had against Sega Sports)

>> No.1625051

>>1625048
To get into Walmart, Sega took over the retailer’s hometown

Kalinske and Sega had a problem. Retailers weren’t interested in the Sega Genesis, so instead of going from chain to another in an effort to get what he could, the Sega boss decided to focus on Walmart.

That didn’t pan out for all of the reasons noted above, but that’s when Kalinske and one of his partners came up with a plan to cover Bentonville, Ark., the home of Walmart’s headquarters, with advertisements for the Genesis. The hardware company even rented out a storefront where consumers in town could come in and check out the Genesis, but they couldn’t buy one. The idea was that everyone would go to Walmart and ask for the new, amazing system only to find out they didn’t have it — and ask why not.

This didn’t work … at first.

After months of rejection, Kalinske finally received a call from Walmart’s head of electronics. He gave in after explaining that his bosses kept pestering him about why they weren’t carrying the Genesis. The Sega boss agreed to close the store and take down all of the advertising. And other retailers started falling into line behind Walmart.

>> No.1625052

>>1625049
>thinking shitty sports games sell a console
Actually SEGA had their own line of sports games and they were way better than the shovelware EA shits out. I guess if the presence of 3rd party sports games make or break a console then the Wii U is really in trouble.

>> No.1625054

>>1625035
>>1625046
I think the level of discussion on /vr/ is too high for you, you'd feel more comfortable spewing ad hominem insults back at /b/ where you came from.

>> No.1625058

>>1625048
>back then, Nintendo stirred fear into the hearts of men
>Sony enters the market
>Nintendo goes the way of Duran Duran, never to be mentioned again

>> No.1625061

>>1625048
Nintendo's iron-clad policies were what saved the american videogame market after the big crisis of the 80's, though.
Basically, it brought order (yes, THEIR oorder) to a market that had been razed to the ground by a complete anarchy regarding consoles, games and quality standards, something that unfortunately, Sega began to repeat with it's vicious cycle of releasing more consoles, console addons and then newer consoles without any definite plans or quality control.
Anyone remembers the original Sega CD and how it fucking DESTROYED your discs whenever the hell it feel like ruining them?

>> No.1625063

>>1625061
>Anyone remembers the original Sega CD and how it fucking DESTROYED your discs whenever the hell it feel like ruining them?
No, I have never heard of anyone having that problem.

>> No.1625064 [DELETED] 

>>1625054
Anon and I had to descend to your neanderthal level so you could understand us, I guess.
Want a banana, by the way?
You need to peel it before you shove in your maw, of course.

>> No.1625071

>>1625058
Nah, Nintendo falls from the top and watches how Sony takes it for several years until it falls on it's own as well.
Meanwhile Microsoft joins the fray and the three fight each other to climb to the top, while Sega wimpers on a dark alley, begging everyone to please remember him.

>>1625063
The first Sega CD model had it's nasty habit of scratching the everliving fuck out of game and audio CDs.
It was solved on the second, smaller model.

>> No.1625072

>>1625064
>Flaming/flagrant "fanboyism"/etc. will not be tolerated.
You have nothing to say about the topic at hand, take your "epic baiting" back to /b/.

>> No.1625075

>>1625071
>The first Sega CD model had it's nasty habit of scratching the everliving fuck out of game and audio CDs.
No, the model 1 was known to have a problem with the tray getting stuck and most will need their capacitors replaced by now, but there was never a problem with them destroying games.

>> No.1625079

>>1625034
japan seems so.
which is what the thread is all about.

>> No.1625080

> Op starts a thread to discus how the Genesis sold poorly in Japan
> Obsessed Sega Fanboy hijacks the thread and moves the goalposts to talk about how awesome and powerful was the Genesis in AMERICA

I assume this is the same guy who shitposts on every thread where Sega consoles are discused? A similar hijacking was done where the Game Gear and then the Turbo Express were discussed, all just to make a grandstand and shit all over Nintendo.

>> No.1625084

>>1625080
I take it you're the "obsessed Nintendo fanboy" who shitposts every SEGA thread?
Actually the thread already had devolved into blatant false information and shitposting by the time I got here. I tried to explain how SEGA was more focused on breaking Nintendo's illegal monopoly in the West and you started jumping down my throat with your /b/ tier ad hominems and "personal army" memes. Enjoy your ban.

>> No.1625089

>>1625084
If you don't have anything of value to add to the conversation, then please don't try to be a fucking smug asshole.

The topic was: Sega, Mega Drive and JAPAN.

>> No.1625090

>>1625084
>I tried to explain how SEGA was more focused on breaking Nintendo's illegal monopoly in the West

The thread is how the Genesis sold poorly in Japan. Not america, but Japan.
You just admited you were derailing the thread, mate.

>> No.1625095

>>1625089
>>1625090
I'll break it down for you since your mind is too feeble to understand. Because SEGA was more focused on breaking Nintendo's illegal monopoly in the West, they did not focus on Japan as much and that is why they fell behind there.
Fuck off back to /b/.

>> No.1625096

Threads like this illustrate why no one posts on /vr/. The mods obviously don't give a fuck and it's overrun with underage Nintendo fanboy shitposters whose only information source on retro games are meme youtube channels.

>> No.1625098

>>1625095
I thought they had different teams for marketing both NA and JP.
By the time it was launched on the Japanese market, Famicom is still going really strong. By the time SEGA Japan marketing catches on, Super Famicom is already around the corner. Most families at that time I think were just being more selective in terms of spending.

Gamecenter CX's Kibe should know all about this.

>> No.1625102

>>1625096
and for every Nintendo fanboy shitposter posting shit, there are 3 SEGA fanboy posting more shitposts to counter it.

seriously, i see much more SEGA fanboy shitposters here (and pretty much the whole /vr/ board), though.

>> No.1625119

>>1625035
>EA called Sega on it's asshatery and fucked them on the ass big time

By doing something illegal? Well, at least you acknowledge that you are a 40+ yr old loser, so stop that shit.

>> No.1625120

>you will never get an accurate response from someone who lived through that era in that region

>> No.1625124

>>1625061
>Nintendo's iron-clad policies were what saved the american videogame market after the big crisis of the 80's, though.

Why do people keep repeating this myth? If you were to listen to them, you would think the PC gaming industry would be non-existent due to its lack of order and seal of qualities.

>> No.1625128

>>1625124
It's not exactly a myth, Atari did flood the market with too many clones and hardware.
You had companies like Johnsons and Johnsons and Quaker Oats making atari games because it seemed like easy cash.

>> No.1625141

>>1625080
There is only one person that exists in /vr/, and thats the SNES nintendrone who enjoys shitting on every thread that has nothing to do with Nintendo.

A thread about the playstation hidden gems, the nintendrone comes whining about how the N64 is superior and won the generation. A thread about sega genesis music, the nintendrone comes and tells how the SNES soundchip is superior and all genesis music sucks. A thread about the PC engine, the nintendrone comes and laughs at how you need to buy two consoles to even enjoy the thing.

And I'm not even kidding, just check out the /vr/ archive, if only he used a trip. If I were paranoid, I would think you were some fag who's deliberately trying to turn /vr/ anti-nintendo from this
bullshit.
PS: The SNES, like all consoles, are propriety bullshit and are inferior to the PC, even in the mid 90s, learn some humility faggot.

PSS: The reason why the Sega Genesis was in third place in Japan, had nothing to do with Nintendo, but the fact that it had little to no JRPGs, and the PC Engine took away its audience, but Sega would get it back with the Saturn.

>> No.1625143

>>1625008
If Genesis sounded like tin cans, SNES sounded like muffled farts in a hallway.

>> No.1625150

>>1625143
Muffled farts > Tin cans.

>> No.1625151
File: 168 KB, 446x357, 1362038887125.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>participating in a console war ever

>> No.1625160

>>1625151
the whole point of console gaming.

>> No.1625171

>>1625150
Actual FM synths > fake orchestra midi

>> No.1625172

>>1625160
>PS: The SNES, like all consoles, are propriety bullshit and are inferior to the PC, even in the mid 90s, learn some humility faggot.
Not really, not until the mid 90s DOS games couldn't do proper scrolling, until commander keen and jill of the jungle came along and even then those games have choppy scrolling at 30fps.

Unless you were talking about the amiga, but in the late 80s nothing on PCs quite compared to the NES.

>> No.1625179

>>1625171
Yeah, shame that 95% of the genesis's games' soundtrack are fucking terrible because the sound chip in it is so garbage.

>> No.1625180

>>1625141
>inferior to the PC
You reek of "I was born after the fact".

>> No.1625184

>>1625179
Same could be said for SNES. Only Plok, Earthbound, and the DKC series made good use of the tech. The rest sounded like goofy-ass garbage.

>> No.1625186
File: 135 KB, 899x682, 1395673736900.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625160
>actually thinking this ever

>> No.1625191

>>1625186
Face it: imagine if the movie market was the same. Movie exclusive to some hardware.

>> No.1625192

I'm kind of surprised at how ill informed a lot of comments are. The SNES had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the SG1000's failure in Japan. The PC Engine was at fault for it since it came before and latched on to a bigger user base right away. The SNES was actually 2nd fiddle to the PC Engine for most of its lifespan. The Genesis picked up steam a little bit and the Japanese figured out Sega was pretty rad after all so a lot of them swapped from their PC Engines to Sega Saturns. Nintendo was never dominant in Japan for the entire 90s. The SNES was close to the PC Engine but never ever could best it and the the 64 was an absolute flop compared to the PSX and Saturn.

>> No.1625194

>>1625024
>some pretentious hipster's rants will not change that.

This is why people assume anons like you are 10 years old. Genesis is not a hipster system and never was. It was more mainstream than the SNES for the majority of both consoles' lifespan. Yes, Genesis was the cooler system of the two. It was not contrarian. It was the dumb ass bro console of its day. If you were old enough to know what you're talking about, you'd know this simple fact. But since Nintendo won out over Sega in the long run, history has been rewritten and fed to people like you.

>> No.1625195

>>1625192
How come the PC Engine had no third party support, then? Not a rhetoric question, I actually want to know, why didn't capcom, konami, enix, etc support it?

>> No.1625201

>>1625180
And you reek of a consolefag who probably thinks PC games didn't exist in the early 90s because Windows 95 didn't exist.

>> No.1625204

>>1625192
Fucking THANK YOU.

>> No.1625206

>>1625195
They had plenty of third party support. Konami released lots of games on it, arguably the best Castlevania ever is exclusive to it. Some publishers were damn near tied to the hip with Nintendo and never strayed too far from them though.

>> No.1625207

>>1625195
Do you mean that as hyperbole or are you serious? If you're serious, that's just not true. Go to gamefaqs and look at the library. There are plenty of Konami games, several from Capcom, many from Namco(t) and tons of other smaller developers you've never heard of. The idea that PC Engine had no third party support is absurd.

>> No.1625209

>>1625194
Not him, but
>If you were old enough to know what you're talking about and lived in the USA, you'd know this simple fact.
should be more accurate, cause where I live it wasn't the case.

>> No.1625212

>>1625207
Hell even Sega had some of their most popular games of the time on PCE: Outrun, Afterburner I & II, Altered Beast. The 'nogames' thing is just a misconception because apparently Americans have never heard of HUMAN, Technos, NCS Masaya, Taito, etc.

>> No.1625213

>>1625209
I assumed that was implicit in his argument since we're using the name Genesis rather than Megadrive.

>> No.1625214

>>1624685

I think you should say 'That plus' a few more times to get the point across, anon.

>> No.1625215

>>1625201
You're delusional if you think PC was pumping out the same quality titles as consoles had in the 80s and early 90s.

>> No.1625226

>>1625213
Ah I see, carry on then.

>>1625215
Early 90s is the golden age of DOS games, though. Especially on the adventure, strategy and crpg department (Microprose, Interplay, Sierra, etc.). But of course it has a smaller market, and it comes down to different audiences when you consider what a "quality title" is.

>> No.1625289

>>1625194
>Genesis was the cooler system of the two. It was not contrarian. It was the dumb ass bro console of its day. If you were old enough to know what you're talking about, you'd know this simple fact.
This was only true in the US, BR and a very few other countries.

>b-but you said genesis, not mega drive
The MD didn't have any precedence AT ALL where I live, it's easy to use the "Genesis" name when discussing the console and having no special preference for either name.

>> No.1625294

>>1625052
They appear to sell consoles, actually. One friend of mine I know bought his PS3 solely for FIFA. Another friend said he was regretting getting a 360 because EA's games ran worse there than on the PS3 (no idea if that's true or not, I don't play their titles). I often see for sale ads with consoles bundled with sports games only, so I imagine there's a separate market for sports fans.

>> No.1625365 [DELETED] 

>>1625215
>You're delusional if you think PC was pumping out the same quality titles as consoles had in the 80s and early 90s.
Fucking shit, seriously. The vast majority of DOS games by far were poorly designed garbage. PC games didn't really get better until Windows gained a firm foothold for game development.

>> No.1625367

>>1625215
>You're delusional if you think PC was pumping out the same quality titles as consoles had in the 80s and early 90s.
Fucking this, seriously. The vast majority of DOS games by far were poorly designed garbage. PC games didn't really get better for whatever reason (more accessible to developers?) until Windows gained a firm foothold for game development.

>> No.1625419
File: 152 KB, 800x401, 540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1624996

>> No.1625449

>>1625419

>Not even mentioning Golden Axe, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, or Super Hang-On

Talk about a cafeteria Sega fan.

>> No.1625661

>>1625071
>Nintendo falls from the top
True.

>Sony leads for several years until they fall
>implying Sony will ever fall
>implying the FUCKING PLAYSTATION brand will disappear
>implying Konami, Rockstar, Square, and hundreds of other third parties don't depend on the PlayStation brand to survive
>implying they won't band together like they did for the PS3 and support the PS4

It seems as if, the greater the profit you make, the less relevant you are to consumers and companies. Nintendo consoles, since the dawn of the PlayStation brand, will never have anything more than "Cast of Smash Bros (except for Snake)" games, which all appeal to the same exact demographic.

>> No.1625673

>>1625419
holy shit this guys an idiot

>> No.1625676

>>1623817
What the heck is 2chan?

>> No.1625685

>>1625449
>>1625673

>Taking a comic from a humor website seriously

Well alrighty then.

>> No.1625697

>>1625685
yeah how dare we not laugh at an awful "joke" and point out how stupid it is

you might like this place better dude >>>/reddit/

>> No.1625734

So, another thread ruined by the stupid Sega fanboy?

This is the fourth, fifth time I see him invading a thread to insult whoever doesn't agree that Sega was pure gold, Nintendo was a total failure and cover his ears to whoever tries to how him facts and figures.
The Genesis had it's good points, but very few people took advantage of them, like it's sound processor. It also had few commercial licenses and that is a must-have on any console market, plus it's awful marketing strategies made it flop on places where Nintendo reigned supreme, sans Brazil, Spain and such.

(I'm from spain and I remember some videogame magazines from that era giving free MASTER SYSTEMS with the purchase of certain special edition magazines, such annual specials. I THINk the name of such magazine was "Super Juegos" (Super Games)

>> No.1625746

>>1625179
>Bitch doesnt know about other sound drivers other than GEMS

>> No.1625751

>>1625734
>spain
>implying europe's mexico matters

>> No.1625756

>>1625751
Hey, Sega had a big impact here and we even had our own localized RPGs. (Soleil)

Of course, the best games weren't imported and the PAL format limitations basically fucked everyone in the ass.

>> No.1625765
File: 1.98 MB, 3264x2448, 20140516_141439.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>People shitting on the Genesis/MD

I welcome it. Keeps the prices low. It shocks me how so many good games get little to no recognition. I'm sure eventually the prices will spike, but it's pretty nice to be able to get most games for $20 or less, barring a few titles.

>> No.1625769

>>1625765
>It shocks me how so many good games get little to no recognition. I
Such as?
A hidden gems list would be nice to know and form.

>> No.1625770

>>1625769

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sega-genesis-games-hidden-gem

Start here. Check out their cheap games list too. Best place to start out if you're looking to collect for the Genesis.

>> No.1625780

>>1625770
> Hidden gems
> All of those games are ultra fucking known.

I don't think you understand the meaning of "hidden gems", dude.

>> No.1625783

It's funny how >>1624996 quoted his argument directly from this >>1625419 Penny Arcade comic. I had never seen that one before because I don't waste my time reading meme web comics. Just goes to show where the SEGA haters learned everything they know about non-Nintendo consoles from.

>> No.1625789

>>1625685
This guy >>1624996 obviously took it seriously.

>> No.1625790

>>1625780
Thanks to sites like Racketboy, there aren't anymore hidden gems.

For those of you wondering about "hidden gems," just fucking use Google.

>> No.1625796

>>1625783
Hey, the Sega fanboy shitposter is back!

>> No.1625803

>>1625796
Didn't the mod already ban you? I saw he deleted your shitposts. So you admit you're evading a ban?

>> No.1625806
File: 53 KB, 250x350, yu-yu-hakusho-sunset-fighters-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625790
For me, a true "Hidden Gem" for the Genesis is a game like this one, for example.

Unreleased in the west, based on an old license and surprisingly GOOD. (Which it IS)

>> No.1625808 [DELETED] 

>>1625803
> 4chan is a single person

Dude, just shut the fuck up.
If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, then fuck off and take your pitful hatred with you.

>> No.1625812

>>1625806
Wasn't that coded by Treasure though? From what I remember it was practically Marvel Super Heroes lite, gameplay wise. Air combos galore.

>> No.1625813

>>1625806

there's a guy I found on Etsy who makes Genesis repros, and most of his games are unreleased games that have been translated. Prices usually range between 25-30 for a cart. But he does good work, I got a copy of Monster World 4 and it looks genuine, and so far, I haven't had any issues.

>> No.1625823

>>1625812
Eyup, it was fucking FANTASTIC.

But again, I yet have to see a single Treasure game that ended up being bad, they even programmed one for the N64 and the game was a masterpiece.

>> No.1625846

>>1625808
Funny how you were trying to imply the same thing. I see you're already back to shitposting and flaming. As I showed you last night, it's against the rules and not tolerated here. Take it back to /b/, /vr/ doesn't need to be brought down by shitposting idiots like you.

>> No.1625861
File: 27 KB, 500x500, timthumb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625846
> Dumbass openly admits he's the same troublemaker that was being menctioned and even tries to pass it as a good thing.

Dude, either join the conversation or go be a special snowflake elsewhere.

>> No.1625867

Report console war faggotry.
Don't reply, just report.

>> No.1625876

>>1625289
>This was only true in the largest economy in the world

Fixed that for you

>> No.1625882

>>1625765
This. I've been rebuilding my Genesis library and compared to SNES it's like night and day. No stress, affordable prices, sellers are actually decent human beings.

>> No.1625886

>>1625861
>troublemaker
I posted here a bit last night to try to explain that SEGA as a company was more focused on making the Genesis work in the West. I posted some decent info to back up my claims and I'm not the person getting my shitposts deleted from the thread. Maybe you should re-evaluate your opinion there, nice reddit reaction image btw.

>> No.1625914
File: 63 KB, 640x640, Dracula X PC-Engine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625195
Konami supported it, where do you think THIS came from?

The PC Engine also had a lot of third parties focused on CD game development which no longer exist today.

>> No.1625935

>>1625075
It was a known problem anon, the one kid on my street that had a sega cd had this happen too

>> No.1625937

>>1625676
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you /vr/.

>> No.1625950
File: 10 KB, 480x360, khqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625886
No, you posted last night to derail a thread thjat was discussing about why the Mega Drive sold poorly in JAPAN.

The discussion was JAPAN and you dragged it to AMERICA so you could keep bashing Nintendo , insulting Nintendo supporters and attacking whoever didn't shared your, and your opinion only about the issue.

You may try to use as much semantic as you want, but the fact remains: you hijacked a thread just to keep shitposting against Nintendo all over again.

>> No.1625954 [DELETED] 
File: 3 KB, 106x134, 1219411631814v.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625734
>SEGA fanboy

Nice try you nintendrone, you can't hide from the /vr/ archive...

>I'm from Spain

And suddenly this just got better.

>> No.1625960

>>1625914
It also had games from Sega itself, such as GOLDEN AXE.
Other good games for the PcEngine were Bomberman, Adventure Island, Wonder Boy, Ys, Altered Beast, Prince of Persia, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Raidem, Shinobi, etc.

It had a sweet library, fattened by Sega itself.

>> No.1625967

>>1625950
What's with the persecution complex? I told you already a few times now, they were more focused on the West and let Japan slip during the 16 bit era.
Anyway I'm done with this, go take a nap or something you're acting like a cranky kid having a tantrum.

>> No.1625968

>>1625676
2chan is a Japanese image board. It's what inspired 4chan if I'm not mistaken.

>> No.1625973

>>1625960
Games ported from Sega's domain: Golden Axe, Columns, Altered Beast, Shinobi, Gain Ground, After Burner I and II, Fantasy Zone, Bonanza Bros, Outrun, Space Harrier.

Basically, it had the best out of Sega's available catalog but with better sound and graphics.

>> No.1625975

>>1625194
but anon your completely wrong though.

This edgy, vr only meme about sega being superior is so tired and hipsterish

sega was seen as cheap and tacky crap growing up in the 90's in england, whereas nintendo is literally a cultural icon.

I had both growing up and gunstar heroes was one of my favourite games but this idea SEGA was the main one is complete bullshit

>> No.1625976
File: 10 KB, 246x360, george.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625950
>No, you posted last night to derail a thread thjat was discussing about why the Mega Drive sold poorly in JAPAN.

No, you derailed the thread because you're that SNES nintendrone who shits on every 16 bit thread that has nothing to do with Nintendo. I've seen your shitposting everywhere on /vr/, and I think I recall reading one time about how you thought the N64 won its generation and that the playstation library was shit. I know you're the same person because you always write in these aggressive tone. Did a Sega employee molested you as a child faggot?

If I was going to assume anyone was a Sega fanboy, it would be you, and I would assume you were just doing this to turn /vr/ against Nintendo, too bad. No one is retarded enough to worship a video game company, and I don't get why, in the year 2014, you still defend a fucking console for a company FOR FREE.

The discussion was JAPAN and you dragged it to AMERICA so you could keep bashing Sega , insulting Sega supporters and attacking whoever didn't shared your, and your opinion only about the issue.

You may try to use as much semantic as you want, but the fact remains: you hijacked a thread just to keep shitposting against Sega all over again.

I am fucking tried of your shit, and the worst part is that I don't even think your a troll because I've seen this faggotory on tons of threads on /vr/, way too presistent to be someone pretending to be retarded.

yes, I'm mad.

>> No.1625979

>>1625967
Read
>>1625950
>No, you posted last night to derail a thread that was discussing about why the Mega Drive sold poorly in JAPAN.The discussion was JAPAN and you dragged it to AMERICA so you could keep bashing Nintendo , insulting Nintendo supporters and attacking whoever didn't shared your, and your opinion only about the issue.You may try to use as much semantic as you want, but the fact remains: you hijacked a thread just to keep shitposting against Nintendo all over again.

>> No.1625981

>>1625975
They were outselling the SNES in North America for most of the 16 bit era. It was only at the end that Nintendo caught up.

>> No.1625982

>>1625979
Read
>>1625967
>What's with the persecution complex? I told you already a few times now, they were more focused on the West and let Japan slip during the 16 bit era.

>> No.1625983
File: 138 KB, 1316x377, fstagebsky1n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625960
To be fair, the PC Engine port of Golden Axe was absolutely horrendous. Some folks at the pcenginefx forums are planning to do a remake of it in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XP53PUagaI

Also pic related.

>>1625973
I love the PC Engine, but many of these games run better on Sega hardware including Space Harrier and, as mentioned, Golden Axe.

>> No.1625984

>>1625976
>>1625950

>> No.1625990

>>1625979
>>1625982
>>1625984
>desperation

Who samefags this bad?

>> No.1625991

>>1625984
>everyone on /vr/ is one person
Anti-SEGA shitposter please go

>> No.1626008

>>1622238
I keep hearing that about Nintendo, that they had a tendency to kinda bully third-parties into being exclusive to them. That's pretty cutthroat. I mean I know that's standard business practice, but it's a sharp contrast to the squeaky-clean family fun image Nintendo try to have for themselves.

>> No.1626012

>>1625960
The Nekkestu Kunio-Kun franchise was fun as well.

>> No.1626016

>>1625935
>>1625071
>>1625061
>>Anyone remembers the original Sega CD and how it fucking DESTROYED your discs whenever the hell it feel like ruining them?
If it was a problem, it was a small one. The Model 1s are easier to find in better operating and cosmetic condition. The one I have works just fine and only has noticeable loading times on that Sherlock Holmes game for some reason. Do you have some kind of outside source to back this up other than nothing at all?

>> No.1626018

>>1626008
I remember how much Sega bellyached and bawwed to Capcom to supplicate them to program a Megaman game for them as well.

I still can't decide if Megaman: Wily Wars was worth all that begging or not. (It WAS fun but they didn't botheres solving may graling issues from the original NES games like GUTSMAN'S STAGE ARGH and if I remember correctly, they removed the pause trick from MM1 as well.

No, I didn't played this game until I got into emulation. From what I saw, this game was impossible to play in the US unless you played through the Sega Club.

>> No.1626023
File: 21 KB, 307x291, 1281767687473.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>People still reply to that autistic SNES nintendrone

I thought you would have learn better by now

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1518119/#1535641
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1518119/#1535490
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1602390/#1614172
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1441068/#1441068
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1602390/#1614510
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1500260/#1504108
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1570628/#1570628

Look at all these threads he tried to derail.

>> No.1626028

>>1626018
Yeah, it was only available on Sega Channel. So was Alien Soldier, which really sucks because Alien Soldier is a fucking great game.

>> No.1626036

>>1626028
>So was Alien Soldier, which really sucks because Alien Soldier is a fucking great game
Well, it was a Treasure game so that goes without saying.

>> No.1626056

>>1626023
I wish they would range ban him already, he's ruining /vr/.

>> No.1626070

>>1625981
Because it was very cheap. Like just over half the price

>> No.1626091

>>1626070
There was more to it than that. The Wii U is much cheaper than its alternatives but it is not selling nearly as well as the Genesis did. People will still need more reasons than a price to shell out the cash for a console.

>> No.1626153

>>1625195
The PC Engine had plenty of support, the Turbograpfx-16 on the other hand did not.

>> No.1626214

>>1625876
Brazil wasn't doing so well back then either

>> No.1626467

>>1625206
>lots of games

yeah nice try

>> No.1626484

>>1625975
>My experience is all that matters!

You just said it yourself: your preception of Sega comes from the UK. We're talking US sales and US marketing. You can't even compare the two. The Genesis was the Xbox 360 of its time. Little kids had Sanic, brodudes had millions of sports games and the one (crappy) version of Mortal Kombat that had blood in it. Genesis was THE system to have in the 90's. I was a SNES kid myself, not a Sega fan. It's plain historical fact, not a pissing contest.

>> No.1626498

>>1626484
yep sega made more money during the 16 bit era too. in 94 when genesis support ended sega was ahead of nintendo revenue. The SNES only managed to pull ahead in the end after sega had dropped all genesis support for the saturn.

http://segatastic.blogspot.ca/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

there is some numbers to back up my statements. The only reason kids in here think the SNES was so much better because it was still part of their era while the megadrive was already dead.

>> No.1626512

>>1626023
Wow I remember most of those threads.

>> No.1626521

>>1625975
Interesting, anon. Here in the US, especially during the early SNES era, Nintendo became seen as childish. Genesis was what teens and adults played, while SNES was relegated to little kids.

I guess the UK never grew out of Nintendo, huh.

>> No.1626550

>>1625975
>sega was seen as cheap and tacky crap growing up in the 90's in England
Well that's just not true at all.

>> No.1626553

>>1626521
I guess it changes according to country.

In Latin America Nintendo used to be seen as more premium, because it was so expensive, and its home consoles could not be pirated.
(although it was possible in the early 2000s to emulate N64) The Wii is the first Nintendo console that was hugely pirated, and the first one that sold well in the third world.

The fact that only kids whose parents had a nice above average income had Nintendo consoles, made Nintendo consoles seem as a higher status console. Common people knew Nintendo well because of famiclones, but only kids with "doctor" parents had the privilege to play the 16 and 32 bits versions of the famiclone Nintendo classics.

>> No.1626563

>>1626521
The UK never grew into Nintendo, both the Master System and Megadrive outsold the NES and SNES considerably.

>> No.1626645

>>1626521
>Here in the US, especially during the early SNES era, Nintendo became seen as childish.
I am a Nintendo fanboy and I will not deny this.

In fact, Sega used lots of ads insulting Nintendo for it's lack of edgy 'tude and lack of X-Treme gaming, etc.

It didn't saved Sega, but the fact that Nintendo had a weenie-ass rep back then is still true.

>> No.1626649

>>1626550
Actually is 100% true and if you don't believe me, try to google around for a british Sega magazine called Mean Machines.
Every article, every flavor text and even the letters sent by the readers were focused into trolling Nintendo.

It was like watching a discussion at Deviantart.

>> No.1626657

>>1626563
This was how things rolled in Europe and Brazil.

It wasn't a supreme difference, but compared to north america, it ws VERY clear that Sega had the advantage there.
Some of Sega's best third party games came out from Europe, such as CORE DESIGNS, BEETCHES.

>> No.1626663

>>1626521
>Here in the US, especially during the early SNES era, Nintendo became seen as childish.
Correct.

>Genesis was what teens and adults played, while SNES was relegated to little kids.
Incorrect. Remember to distinguish between PR and reality anon. SEGA tried to create that image but that wasn't reality.

>> No.1626673

>>1626657
> CORE DESIGN

Probably the only eastern developer who knew how to correctly develop games for the Mega CD.

>> No.1626675

>>1626645
In your defense Howard Lincoln was one cold motherfucker

>> No.1626676

>>1626023
What an autistic faggot.

>> No.1626710

>>1626673
>>1626657

CORE sucks. Fancy graphics don't make any of their Sega CD games fun.

>> No.1626725

>>1626676
Who? The Nintendo fanboy, the Sega fanboy, or both since it could be just one guy samefagging both sides?

>>1626710
Dude, did you played Soulstar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv-t_cO15p0

>> No.1626730

>>1626649
Don'r forget "Mega Sega", a popular spanish magazine where they turned trolling into art.
Nobody was safe from them, not even the magazine staff and writers themselves.

>> No.1626808

>>1626663
You're making a divide between "reality" and marketing campaigns, when in truth the PR was what directly affected the adult market.

SNES should have done far better than it did, but because of Nintendo's tarnished image, millions of adults who happily played NES last gen decided to go with Sega instead. I'd wager most adults who owned a SNES also had kids.

>> No.1626813

>>1626725
To be fair, Mark can make anything sound awesome.

>> No.1626947

>>1625172
Actually Japanese computers at the time had much nicer looking games than the NES. The MSX had better scrolling and better graphics.

>> No.1627007

>>1625975
That's just a lie. Either than or you're deluding yourself. Sega DESTROYED Nintendo in the UK during that time. Wasn't even close. Hell, the only time Nintendo has been on top here was with the Wii.

>> No.1627015

>>1626947
Motherfucker, the MSX could barely scroll at all. Or do I need to show you the MSX ports of Contra and Castlevania?

>> No.1627031

>>1626947
Bullshit.

>> No.1627038

>>1627015
>>1627031
Are you fucking retards serious?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZSIT5Jn_0
Why do ignorant fantards think /vr/ is their personal shitting grounds? Literally one second on google would have shown you how stupid you are.

>> No.1627052

>>1626008
As opposed to today where third parties just jump over Nintendo's remains of their home console market.

>> No.1627057

>>1627007
I think you are the deluded one, dudopio.

Sega had a solid stand on the UK indeed, but saying that it destroyed Nintendo is a bigger lie than saying "pretty british teeth"

>> No.1627060

>>1627038
Am I supposed to be impressed by that? I mean sure it's a technical feat, but to say it scrolls better than the NES, a console built specifically for that, is a load of shrooms. Most of the scrolling games are fixed (up/down, left/right, or diagonals) and aren't truly free. The only game that did free scrolling well was that dragon game, and even then it looked kinda bad.

>> No.1627062

>>1627038
Not those guys, but i think they were reffering to MSX (1), that system indeed have scrolling limitations.

>> No.1627064

>>1627052
Nintendo is still the supreme champion of handhelds, though.
Home consoles, well that's a different story indeed.

>> No.1627067

>>1627062
It didn't had scrolling, period.

Happy fun times when you walked to the end of the screen and an enemy just appeared when the screen changed to load the next portion of the screen.

>> No.1627102

>>1627060
Bullshit, plenty of those games had multi directional scrolling, show me a NES game that does. NES can only scroll in one direction at a time, dumbass. Next time don't open your mouth when you're obviously underage and have no idea what the fuck you are talking about you ignorant Nintendo fanshill.

>> No.1627106

>>1622235
PC Engine. On the plus side, Mega Drive did amazing in Europe.

>> No.1627114

>>1627102
Mario 3

>> No.1627283

>>1622235
Important to remember that the Megadrive easily crushed the SNES in the UK.

By an amazing coincidence, Sega Europe were God Tier at marketing.

Sega Japan were shit at marketing. Its that simple.

>> No.1627287

>>1627283
As an American I always got the impression PAL conversions of SNES games were generally sub-par. Any truth to that, and were MD conversions any better on average? It sure seemed that way.

>> No.1627286

>>1623967
That explains all those shitty NES games the AVGN reviews.

Sega had a pretty high quality level, if you look at ports to various systems, the Master System versions shit all over the others; California Games, Choplifter, Populous, Shanghai, Spy Vs Spy, Penguin Land, Gauntlet, Rastan, etc.

>> No.1627290

>>1624685
The Master System succeeded in Europe despite facing competition from:
ZX Spectrum
C64
Amiga
Atari ST
Amstrad

And, all the above had Sega games ported to them as well...yet the Master System flourished in Europe and raped the NES.

Maybe its something to do with great marketing

>> No.1627291

>>1627287
At least in the early days, the MD was even worse at this than later PAL NES games. Sonic 1 wasn't converted at all, and even the music is slowed down.

>> No.1627296

>>1624824
>>1624796
>>1624738
>>1624715

Riddle me this: How did the SMS succeed in Europe, where it had to compete with the likes of the Spectrum and C64?

>> No.1627297

>>1625025
And in Europe Nintendo got absolutely fucking destroyed.

>> No.1627319

>>1627291
That's true, but its also the case that Nintendo were absolutely horrendous; no RGB on the PAL N64, ffs.

Meanwhile, the Dreamcast had VGA and also made 60hz standard in PAL conversions.

>> No.1627326

>>1627296
Because the SMS wasn't an expensive computer?
That's like asking how 7-11 can succeed when it has to compete with the likes of Whole Foods.

>> No.1627842

>>1627290
>Maybe its something to do with great marketing
Not great marketing, but great GAMES.
Europe had many exclusive games that fucking rocked, while America tried to polish turds until they sparkled instead of producing good games (or at least, getting good licences) like Sega Europe did.

>>1627287
PAL conversions sucked dick, period. The games had slowdown and black bars up and down of the screen, both on Sega and Nintendo's cases.
Many magazines of that time spewed fire against the fucking hell that was the Pal format.

>> No.1627967

>>1627290
Computers were never competition, they were a completely different market.

Not to mention they were always more expensive.

>> No.1628317

>>1622235
It didn't. It sold over 3.58 million units in Japan alone, only slightly below the PC Engine's 3.92 million. They're both pretty good for non-Nintendo consoles in the 90s.
http://wikiwiki.jp/gamehard/?%B9%F1%C6%E2%A5%CF%A1%BC%A5%C9%C7%E4%A4%EA%BE%E5%A4%B2

>> No.1628437

>>1627290
Maybe it has to do with marketing it themselves instead of paying another company to do it? (Tonka marketed the Master System in the US and Mattel marketed the NES in much of Europe, and neither did a very good job.)

>> No.1628526

>>1628437
Mastertronic were a small software company, much smaller than Mattel, but they understood the market

>>1627842
The Dreamcast is what changed that, though. 60hz full screen was pretty much standard on DC games. Sony and Nintendo only started doing that after Sega Europe did it (early PS2 games were shitty PAL border 50hz).

>> No.1628632

>>1628317
The source for the PC Engine sales numbers(and probably the MD sales numbers too) come from Famitsu. However that site you listed fails to mention the very important(as CD hardware was very expensive) 1.92 million sales of CD add-ons and Duo systems.

Another source(Asahi newspaper article from 2001) states the overall sales of the PCE to be 5.8 million, which most likely combined the 3.92 and 1.92 numbers.

I did find an old interview from 1994 with some of the upper management at NEC and Hudson, and they claim the CD userbase for the PC Engine was 1.8 million at the time.

http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words/pc-fx/pcfx.html

「問屋さんが最近、PCエンジンのソフトが売れないとか言ってますけど、ハードの数は180万は出ていますから眠ってるだけだと思うんです。」
"Mr. Toiya has been saying recently that PC Engine software won't sell, but there are 1.8 million units of the hardware out there, which is why I think that it's just sleeping."

>> No.1628635

>>1628317
wow that aint bad at all the way everybody talks just makes it seem like the PC engine slaughtered it there.

2000 atari jaguars though damn HAHAHA

>> No.1628680

>>1628317
>>1628632
Oh, looks like that article does list 1.92 million PC Engine CD sales,(listed as ROM2) and ~400.000 units sold for the Mega CD.(listed as M-CD)

No numbers for the Super 32X, but those are most likely negligible as the Saturn was already released by that point.

>> No.1628689

It's incredible how successful the PC Engine was when you compare its games to console games.
Apart from SHMUP and some arcade gems it all looks like VN and point&click, not something kids would play.

>> No.1628784

>>1627326
Spectrums weren't even that expensive by the time the Master System hit Europe and the games were much, MUCH more expensive on Master System.

>> No.1628815

>>1628784
Spectrum games looked (and probably played) like ass compared to the Master System or even the C64.

>> No.1628817

>>1628784
Still, it was 1982 technology. The color limitations were awful, its scrolling capabilities weren't very good, keyboard controls worked poorly with many game genres (and the controller was bad in its own right), it had to be played practically right in front of the monitor/tv, etc.

SMS was more comfy to play, had better technology in nearly every category, and had console-like games that were all the rage. No contest.

>> No.1628823

>>1628815
>>1628817
The guy I was replying to was trying to compare SMS to 7-11 and computers like the Spectrum to Whole Foods. That's why I was bringing up software prices, SMS carts were much more expensive than tapes.

>> No.1628836

>>1628823
Carts maybe. The systems, not so much.
You also mentioned C64, which was still much more expensive than the SMS, even in the late 80s.

>> No.1628842

>>1628836
I wasn't the guy with the email field filled in who mentioned C64. Just saying that the 7-11 analogy of the guy who replied to him wasn't entirely apt.

>> No.1628897

>>1627297
>And in Europe Nintendo got absolutely fucking destroyed.
Spanish fag here, you are full of caca.
The rivality was fierce during the 16 bit days, but past the mid 90's Sega began to lose ground and steam faster than the Megadrive's blast procesor.
And if you had lived to see those days you would also know that the best games for the Megadrive were NEVER available for PAL format, forcing you to buy imported games and that fucking overpriced adaptor at shady places like El Corte Ingles.

>> No.1628951

How many RPGs for the Master System/Mega Drive were released in Europe, by the way?

I only remember Crusader of Century being localized there as "Soleil" and that game was just a fucking LttP ripoff.

>> No.1628976

>>1628951
about 54 RPGs were released for the Master System and Mega Drive in Europe

>> No.1629008

>>1628897
>mid 90's
Maybe because SEGA had already moved on to focusing on the Saturn by that point.

>> No.1629025

>>1628897
Maybe in Europe's Mexico, but in the rest of the continent, Nintendo consoles were about as rare as Turbo Grafx ones were in the US. I never saw a single Nintendo console (NES or SNES) until my family moved to the US (we moved from EU to SG to PH to US, in that order), though we did buy an NES cartridge in Italy when we went back to visit with family.
I know Nintendo consoles were popular in Germany, but in Italy and France, NES and SNES were just not. Probably because they were each very, very costly in comparison to SMS and MD. Everyone had a Gameboy, though.
I know Ireland was the same way: absolutely no one had an NES in Ireland.

>> No.1629072

Countries Genesis/Mega Drive outsold the SNES: USA, Brazil, UK, Australia, most of Europe

Countries where SNES outsold Mega Drive: Japan, and Japan.

The SNES crushed the MD in Japan to the extent that it skewed the overall numbers, and makes it seem to underage jerks that the SNES won everywhere.

Reasons the SNES crushed the MD in Japan

1) Sega of Japan were highly incompetent at marketing and advertising at the time (something they fixed by the time of the Saturn)

2) There were no attempts like in the USA to dismantle Yamauchi's monopoly and reign of terror against competitors

3) Sega games had less kawaii quotient

4) Fewer RPGs of interest to Japanese players

>> No.1629392

>>1629072
>Countries where SNES outsold Mega Drive: Japan, and Japan.
Southamerica (sans Brazeeel) was also dominated by Nintendo, mostly because Sega never focused much on this segment. (Brazil had TecToy as a distributor.)

In fact, maybe 70% of the consoles sold in Argentina were cheap clones because the original consoles (Sega and Nintendo) were absurdly overpriced.

>> No.1629398

>>1629072
>3) Sega games had less kawaii quotient
And I call bullshit, as Sega had licenses such as Cotton 100%, Doraemon, Monster World, Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Yaiba, Magical Taruto-Kun, Bomberman, etc.

They had plenty of kawaii uguu moe shit like Nintendo, and it sold fairly well.

>> No.1629570
File: 17 KB, 256x239, ys43.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1628689
>apart from SHMUP and some arcade gems it all looks like VN and point&click, not something kids would play
It's true that there were lots of shoot-em-ups and arcade conversions, but there were also quite a few platformers, (A)JRPGs, puzzle games and even a few good pinball games.

VNs and point&click aren't all that prominent, and were usually there because it was the only successful home CD console. Most of them were on Japanese PCs like PC-98 or FM Towns.

>> No.1631114
File: 284 KB, 377x460, i want to get off roger rabbits wild ride.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1625419
>saying sonic was the ONLY game on megadrive
do PA just not into retro gaming? also ROB was before megadrive and wasn't even good

>> No.1631147

>>1629392
Agree, as a chilean genesis fan, i have to say the genesis was pretty much dead here, everyone had a SNES, few genesis, and VERY few TG16.

I don't know the situation in other countries asaid from Brazil though.

>> No.1631567

The SNES outsold the Megadrive in the USA by a considerable ammount, because Nintendo kept making great games for it in 1995 and 1996, the donkey kong country games, killer instinct, yoshi's island and super mario RPG gave Super Nintendo the edge over Genesis.
The last years of Super Nintendo, 94, 95, 96, were better than its first years. They were kinda tied till 1994, and then SNES got a very big advantage.

>> No.1631573

>>1631114
Because it's epic meme nerdy humor

>> No.1631578

>>1631567
Actually Genesis kicked SNES's ass in America

Sega was able to outsell Nintendo four Christmas seasons in a row[39] due to the Genesis' head start, a lower price point, and a larger library of games when compared to the SNES at its release.[40] Sega had ten games for every game on Super NES, and while the Super NES had an exclusive version of Final Fight, one of Sega's internal development teams created Streets of Rage, which had bigger levels, tougher enemies, and a well-regarded soundtrack.[40] Sega's advertising continued to position the Genesis as the cooler console,[40] and as Sega's advertising evolved, they coined the term "blast processing" (the origin of which is an obscure programming trick on the console's graphics hardware) to suggest that the processing capabilities of the Genesis were far greater than those of the SNES.[41][42] A Sony focus group found that teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis.[43] Even with the Genesis often outselling the Super NES at a ratio of 2:1,[44] Nintendo and Sega both focused heavily on impression management of the market, even going to the point of deception, with Nintendo claiming they had sold more consoles in 1991 than they actually had, and forecasting they would sell 6 million consoles by the end of 1992, while their actual U.S. install base at the end of 1992 was only just over 4 million units.[45] Due to these tactics, it was difficult to ascertain a clear leader in market share for several years at a time, with Nintendo's dollar share of the U.S. 16-bit market dipping down from 60% at the end of 1992 to 37% at the end of 1993,[46] Sega claiming 55% of all 16-bit hardware sales during 1994,[47] and Donkey Kong Country paving the way for the Super NES to outsell the Genesis from 1995 through 1997.[39][48][49][50][51] According to a 2004 study of NPD sales data, the Sega Genesis was able to maintain its lead over the Super NES in the American 16-bit console market.[52]

>> No.1631580

>>1629072

>Yamauchi's monopoly and reign of terror against competitors

This always makes me laugh, when people call Yamauchi the vidya boogeyman of the 80s and 90s. Not in a sarcastic way, it actually makes me laugh because I imagine Yamauchi being a dictator or something like that.
I still don't know why they say that though... what exactly was monopolic about Nintendo in the 90s? I remember plenty of multiplats.

>> No.1631584

>>1631578
>Sega was able to outsell Nintendo four Christmas seasons in a row
>the processing capabilities of the Genesis were far greater than those of the SNES
>A Sony focus group found that teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis.
>with the Genesis often outselling the Super NES at a ratio of 2:1
>deception
>Nintendo claiming they had sold more consoles in 1991 than they actually had, and forecasting they would sell 6 million consoles by the end of 1992, while their actual U.S. install base at the end of 1992 was only just over 4 million units
>deception
> Nintendo's dollar share of the U.S. 16-bit market dipping down from 60% at the end of 1992 to 37% at the end of 1993
>Sega claiming 55% of all 16-bit hardware sales during 1994
> According to a 2004 study of NPD sales data, the Sega Genesis was able to maintain its lead over the Super NES in the American 16-bit console market

>A Sony focus group found that teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis

Basically Nintendo just using more backhanded, deceitful, illegal tactics to try and strongarm the market and maintain their monopoly but got blown the fuck out by based SEGA

>> No.1631587

>>1631584
>A Sony focus group found that teenage boys would not admit to owning a Super NES rather than a Genesis

I don't understand this part. Why would a teenager not want to admit to having a SNES? Was it the early stages of the "mature game for mature gamer such as myself" thing?

And most of all, Sony focus group? the wot.

>> No.1631595

>>1631587
I take it you're too young to remember 1990 - 1995 or so? Nintendo was always seen as a kids console, Genesis had a lot more to appeal to all ages. Just another reason they kicked Nintendo's ass in the 16 bit era.

>> No.1631601

>>1631595

I was actually alive (I'm 28), but I don't remember much of the "Nintendo is for kids" thing because I grew up in latin america, and owned both Nintendo and Sega.
I always took Sega and Nintendo as both being worthy rivals and never called one kiddy or mature,I just enjoyed both.

>> No.1631615

>>1631580
It's mostly about the 80s, and honestly was more about the US side of things.

NoA manufactured the cartridges. This was in contrast to say, Atari, where you could manufacture your own cartridges. If you wanted to put a game on the NES, NoA would tell you how many units they were going to produce for you, and you had to sell that many.

Let me put this in perspective: NoA is going to tell you straight up that they're only going to produce 100,000 of your game. (This is a random example number btw) They expect payment by next Tuesday, and you better fucking sell all of them or you're up shit creek without a paddle.

They also literally said, "You can only release x amount of games per year on our console." This is why half of Konami's library--even notable games like TMNT and Metal fucking Gear--are branded as "Ultra Games" because they basically invented a fake division to double the amount of games they could produce in a year. (I suspect the big N let this slide because Konami games were fucking baller as hell.) They ALSO had a rule that if you had a game on their console, you had to wait, I think, between six months and a year before you could release it on ANY other home console platform.

Sega came along and said you could make as many games as you wanted and they didn't chokehold the production lines the way Ninty did, and their exclusivity agreements were much more favourable. By the time the Mega Drive started to gain traction and the SNES was on its way in, NoA was basically forced to lax up on their bullshit because if they didn't, everybody would just go to the Genesis. That's why you eventually got multiplat games like Earthworm Jim going.

I suspect that some of the SNES and Genesis licensed games that were entirely different (Aladdin, Beavis & Butthead) are partially a way for the devs or publishers to circumvent the 6 month rule.

>> No.1631616

>>1631587
Yes, it really was pretty much that. For a while, the Genesis was the Coolest Fucking Console around.

For the most part, this reason was a version of Mortal Kombat with blood intact.

Sony focus group is not really surprising--they were probably doing marketing research for how to market their own console. If you're about to enter the console market, the first thing I would do is do a focus group of gamers and see what they liked and didn't like about the PS4 and Xbone.

>> No.1631623

>>1631615

>I suspect that some of the SNES and Genesis licensed games that were entirely different (Aladdin, Beavis & Butthead) are partially a way for the devs or publishers to circumvent the 6 month rule.

That's a possibility, I also like to think they actually made an effort to make different games for the different kind of hardware. A practise that's long extinct in the vidya world.

>> No.1631628

>>1628317
Damn, why is it so difficult to find sales number for consoles from the 16 bit generation?

I can never find consistent sales number for the Sega Genesis, nor what exactly the top 10 selling games for the SNES and sega genesis were, I always find conflicting numbers and list.

>> No.1631656

>>1631578
>>1631584
All of this fanboyism is making me feel ill.

Fine, keep trying to retcon history if it makes you feel more confortable after Sega's demise I guess.
How do you feel after knowing you can play Sega games into Nintendo's virtual console?
Including Game Gear titles.

>> No.1631658

>>1631616
>For the most part, this reason was a version of Mortal Kombat with blood intact.

This, this, bingo.

I was a 13-year old witha Super Nintendo then and I literally got a Genesis based on this alone. Yes, I was edgy.

I still loved my favorite Super Nintendo games (Genesis didn't have anything like the quality of, say, Super Metroid in my opinion then and now) but censorship uded to make me rage like a tard.

>> No.1631662
File: 49 KB, 330x357, 1283796442001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631656
> retcon history

Why haven't the mods ranged ban this guy yet?

>> No.1631661

>>1631601
>I always took Sega and Nintendo as both being worthy rivals and never called one kiddy or mature,I just enjoyed both.
I like this fag.

I almost laugh at Sega fanboys accusing Nintendo of playing dirty and then conveniently forgetting how 90% of Sega's marketing campaign was based around insulting Nintendo and basically labeling whoever didn't bought their consoles as "weenies" or "uncool".

>> No.1631665
File: 48 KB, 184x184, 1277412939863.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631661
>>1631656

>He actually came back to get rekt again.

>> No.1631669

>>1631578
>(the origin of which is an obscure programming trick on the console's graphics hardware
The Genesis had a powerful processor than SNES you pleb

>> No.1631670
File: 32 KB, 267x200, Sonic-Shoes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631661

While Sega of America's violent and hostile ad campaign was absolutely disgusting, Nintendo also played their dirty cards sometimes.

>> No.1631681

>>1631662
Because the mods have better things to to than become some megalomaniac faggot's personal army?

> "Somebody is disagreeing with me, boo hoo help, help me, mods! Ban him, ban him or else!"

Your tears are so delicious, almost as delicious as the ones all of those Segassholes cried the day the first Sonic GBA game appeared.

>> No.1631683

>>1631662
>>1631665
> Samefag

>> No.1631684

>>1631670
I laughed so hard when I saw that screen for the first time.

Cat O' Nine Tails was also a DKC enemy making fun of Sonic and his quick fall of glory. (The fact that a BRITISH party were making fun of Sega speaks volumes about Sega's popularity at that part of the 90's.)

>> No.1631687

>>1631681
>the day the first Sonic GBA game appeared.
I remember people everywhere bashing the game and calling it non canon, even if it was much funnier than SaK.

>> No.1631690 [DELETED] 

>>1631670
Yeah, at least i don't think there is in-game mocking to nintendo on the genesis except for battle mania in Japan, but that's not sega's fault

And don't forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATvSFimIl8

Oh man, what a great era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATvSFimIl8

>> No.1631692
File: 49 KB, 488x479, 488px-Cat-O-9-Tails.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631684
> "Gotta GO FAST -hic!"

>> No.1631693

>>1631670
Yeah, at least i don't think there is in-game mocking to nintendo on the genesis except for battle mania in Japan, but that's not sega's fault

And don't forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ATvSFimIl8

Oh man, what a great era.

>> No.1631694

>>1631681
>Because the mods have better things to to than become some megalomaniac faggot's personal army?

Yeah, because derailing threads for months must be fun? Is it fun having autism? Frankly, the SNES doesn't deserve to be sully be this shitstain here.

https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1518119/#1535641
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1518119/#1535490
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1602390/#1614172
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1441068/#1441068
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1602390/#1614510
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1500260/#1504108
https://archive.foolz.us/vr/thread/1570628/#1570628

>> No.1631698

>>1631693

Here's another commercial where Nintendo took a page out of Sega.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLREES3kBg

Hahahaha, I don't get why only America got these kind of commercials. Not even the European and Japanese were this aggressive, in fact, I always liked the Sega European ads, those "to be this good take ages" commercial.

>> No.1631701 [DELETED] 

>>1631694
>Yeah, because derailing threads for months must be fun?
Ah, another delusional fagtard who thinks one, and only ONE person is disagreeing with his genius.
Please continue saying how a dead company was actually better and more awesome than the ones who are still active and fighting.

>> No.1631704
File: 51 KB, 585x511, 1342152931689.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631681
>>1631684
>>1631692

>he does it 4 free

>> No.1631706

>>1631698
>Not even the European and Japanese were this aggressive,
I'm from Spain and Sega's ads during the 90's were VERY vulgar and agressive towards Nintendo.

Nintendo's only agressive ads back then was when Donkey Kong Country appeared, with ads that reminded everyone that the game wasn't "32 bits" and you didn't needed to buy overpriced CD or console add-ons to play it.

When the N64 was out and Sony launched a series of silver label budget (and crappy, or old) games, Nintendo also made fun of them with a Killer instinct Gold ad that more or less said "Silver?, NAH, GOLD."

>> No.1631707

>>1631698

Well, it's America... can't get any more capitalistic and machiavelic than them.

While Sega and Nintendo were ripping each other's guts apart in the west, Miyamoto and Yuji Naka were complimenting each other's works all the time over in Japan.

>> No.1631708

>>1631704
I see two faggots defending their respective companies for free.

>> No.1631709
File: 19 KB, 280x256, 1285519337645.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631708
>Implying anyone is defending Sega

Nah man, the situation would still be the same if it were Atari, because after all, the real issue is

>He does it for free

>> No.1631715
File: 146 KB, 533x800, lynxgrande.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631709
> Atari

Asshole and Atari are both spelled with a capital A.

>> No.1631720
File: 26 KB, 320x226, segapubli3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1631698
This one?

>> No.1631735

>>1631580
>it actually makes me laugh because I imagine Yamauchi being a dictator or something like that.
Read the book Game Over

>> No.1632236

You know why they called it the Mega Drivel?

The L implied the learning curve.

>> No.1632301

>>1631693
Are there any more commercials when Nintendo goes all out "Nintendo is what genesisnt?"

>> No.1632381

>>1632301
I don't think so, because when Nintendo finally decided to fight fire with fire, Sega had already entered into it's twilight days thanks to it's retarded marketing koves making it lose it's remaining fanbase.
The greatest winner then was Sony.

>> No.1632385

>>1631715
if his lunch was batteries

>> No.1632412

> Sega Genesis/Mega Drive: aprox. 40 million units sold
> Master System: approx. 13 million units sold
> Game Gear: approx. 11 million units sold
> Sega Saturn: approx. 9.5 million units sold
> Sega Dreamcast: approx 10.6 million units sold

> Super Nes/Super Famicom: approx. 49.10 million units sold
> NES/Famicom: approx. 61.91 million units sold
> Game Boy: approx. 118.69 million units sold.
> Nintendo 64: approx 32.93 million units sold
> Game Cube:approx 21.74 million units sold
> Game Boy Advanced: approx. 81.51 million units sold
> DS: approx. 153.98 million units sold

> NEC PC-Engine: approx 10 million units sold
> NEC Turboexpress: approx 1.5 million units sold.

> Sony Playstation: approx. 102.49 million units sold.
> Sony PSP: approx. 80 million units sold
> PSP Vita: approx. 4 million units sold

>> No.1632445

>>1632412
I forgot to menction that those numbers include all different versions of the same console, for example the Master System and Genesis's numbers include all new and old models sold, same as with Game Boy.

The Game Boy alone sold moe than all of Sega's combined consoles and the only company who can brag about really demolishing Nintendo's sales was Sony during it's golden era.

In fact, Sony fucking demolished everyone, not just Nintendo.

>> No.1632626
File: 2.86 MB, 1533x2100, 4709-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1624996

SEGA had a better robot.

>> No.1632650

>>1632626

I can't stand the Vectorman games. Totally devoid of any charm.

>> No.1632659

>>1632626
I still haven't got around to beating Vectorman.
I rented it a couple of times back in the day.
I've had the Genesis Collection for PS2 for quite some time. Maybe i'll play through it tomorrow when i'm hungover and can't stare at the computer screen.
>>1632650
Actually, it does have some charm to it. I find it quite unique. I've only played the first one, though. It takes a while to get used to its style, kind of like most other Sega games.

>> No.1633043

>>1622235
It was from an American company. Look it up, kids. SEGA is American.

>> No.1633069

>>1626521
The UK never really got into Nintendo then. Remember, the NES sold like shit there, C64, Amiga, etc was much more popular. As were the Master System and Mega Drive.

>> No.1633089
File: 22 KB, 450x332, 386843-rob.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633069
Sega had a nostalgia advantage over Nintendo: Codemasters ported and improved several classic games from the Spectrum's days, like for example, Dizzy.

>>1632626
This robot is better than Vectorman.

>> No.1633096

>>1633089
Yeah, but they had a bigger advantage... Being cheaper. Which in 80s Britain was a massive one, and began with the Master System. Basically letting Mattel handle the NES there was the stupidest decision Nintendo ever made.

>> No.1633125
File: 40 KB, 274x250, canalpirata.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Spanishfag here.

During the 90's, Sega used an interesting (and edgy) publicity stunt called "Sega's Pirate Channel" where they faked some "secret, and illegal" transmitions made by some cool guys who talked about Sega's games, announced the new ones and discussed about Sega's next projects, trying their best to sound as cooler and edgier they could while also insulted Nintendo.
The "Pirate channel" were actually some short VHS tapes, where every month a new tape was made available, containing a new "pirate transmission", all under the slogan of "The Law Of The Strongest"

This was very popular among kids of that era, and the tapes were considered badass tokens among classmates- if you were a Sega fanboy, you simply COULD NOT have the entire collection, not having all of the pirate transmissions automatically made you a lame faggot.

Buuuut since Karma is a bitch, the high cost of this publicitary stunt (VHS tapes were costly, you know.) this came to bite Sega of Spain in the ass and as a result, a HUGE chunk of it's staff was fired in order to compensate for the huge costs of producing, translating and releasing this pirate channel. (Lol)

The tapes are considered as collector's items by now, and old men on their late 30's to mid 40's use to pay high sums of money for tapes on good condition, especially if you offer them the entire collection.

>> No.1633145

>>1633096
>Basically letting Mattel handle the NES there was the stupidest decision Nintendo ever made.
I am a Nintendo fanboy and I will not deny this.
Things were very different in Spain, where Sega's marketing was clunky and idiotic beyond any limits: most of it's strategy was presenting the game of the month and claiming that if you didn't bought it, you were a fag.

Seriously, every big commercial campaign could be resumed as "Hey kidz! Only ztupid people buyz Nintendo's stuff! Do you want to be Ztupid or X-treme awesome way cool like every Sega uzer?!"

(Yeah, the "Z's" were a lame attempt to emulate Punk slang)

Some popular magazines like "Hobby Consolas" used to give inflated scores to crappy Sega games as well. The magazine was considered as a joke among other publications, but since it received obvious "donations" from game companies, it managed to stay a float and even bribe the readers into buying it by giving gifts and prizes with the purchase of every magazine.

>> No.1633237
File: 124 KB, 776x800, 1391225835803.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1626553
Mexican here. If memory serves right, Nintendo had an actual distributor here, and SEGA was brought by private parties like Liverpool and upped the price big time compared to the SNES. It didn't help the SNES was a HUGE cultural icon thanks to the magazine Club Nintendo and the TV show Nintendomanía, as well the Famiclones you mentioned.

I agree, the Wii became sold BIG TIME across LatAm (and Spain?) as soon as people knew how to pirate it and load games via USB port.

>> No.1633295

>>1633237
Sega was really popular in Brazil because of the rampant piracy as well.

>> No.1633303
File: 26 KB, 292x290, bob-hoskins-mario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633295
This interests me, I didn't knew there was Sega piracy in Brazil going on. Tell me more.

>> No.1633316
File: 177 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633303
HUEHUEHUEHUE COMERADE

>> No.1633329
File: 54 KB, 800x629, Famiclone06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633316
That's... quite something one doesn't see every day. This interests me far more than Famiclones. But we only get Famiclones...

>> No.1633356
File: 99 KB, 768x1024, 1_zps0bfb8b00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633329
HUAHUEHUAHUEHUAHUESEGASEGASEGA

>> No.1633380
File: 9 KB, 259x194, Download_(21).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

HUAHUEHUAHUEHUA

>> No.1633383
File: 97 KB, 425x440, fuckthisgayearth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633380
Not even retro is safe from this shit.

>> No.1633407
File: 39 KB, 1024x768, mega-16-plus-clon-dificilisimo-de-conseguir_MLU-F-3409659736_112012_zps7da23686.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633383
hue

>> No.1633417

>>1633407
That's actually kind of cool

>> No.1633468
File: 136 KB, 640x480, zim5j6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633417
Except it's britle, it overheats and oh yes, you are literally playing with a death trap there.

>> No.1633475
File: 100 KB, 640x480, 64f60f373349ef8b672e8b940062.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1633482
File: 97 KB, 640x480, 6356646f8b9e6e1dac01e542e42a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> (T)aito

>> No.1633503
File: 121 KB, 892x668, 3LxWu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah, this is a real thing.
Yeah, it's official.
Yeah, Sega of Japan was run by primates.

>> No.1633507

>>1631615
I thought that Nintendo requested that companies order at least 10,000 copies of a given game, and if those games don't sell, well too fucking bad. I believe the exclusivity deal also implied you to keep your game exclusive to their consoles for two years, which explains why Ikari Warriors came out in 1987 for the NES, and then showed up on the 2600 in 1989. However, if you were to make the game for a different console first and then port it to the NES, I don't think those rules would apply.

Now look at Nintendo. Every major third party game will jump over the Wii U, and if by sheer luck it happens to get a game, it will be the last version of the game made (such as Watch_Dogs). Nintendo's fall from power did nothing but prove why they should've held the reins of the market, especially with scummy practices that are in effect today.

>> No.1633512

>>1633503
No wonder they lagged behind the Super Famicom and PC Engine in Japan...

>> No.1633525

>>1633507
> He does it for free

>> No.1633530

>>1633503
oh god please tell me thats a cd drive i see on top. its pretty shitty looking but damn would that be fun to have.

>> No.1633531
File: 62 KB, 742x600, Frodo_havens.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1633525
>YOU do it for free

>> No.1633546

>>1633531
i did ur mom for free

>> No.1633563

>>1633043
Japanese company with American roots actually.

>> No.1633567

>>1633468
I can hear the jingle. "...SEEEEEEDAAAAAAA..."

>> No.1633580
File: 230 KB, 600x450, Pioneer_LaserActive_CLD-A100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The LaserActive (レーザーアクティブ RēzāAkutibu?) is a converged device and fourth-generation game console capable of playing Laserdiscs, Compact Discs, console games, and LD-G karaoke discs. It was released by Pioneer Corporation in 1993. In addition to LaserActive games, separately sold add-on modules (called "PACs" by Pioneer) accepts Mega Drive/Sega Genesis and PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 ROM cartridges and CD-ROMs.

Pioneer released the LaserActive model CLD-A100 in Japan on August 20, 1993 at a cost of ¥89,800, and in the United States on September 13, 1993 at a cost of $970. NEC later released a cloned version of the system, the NEC PDE-LD1, which also accepted Pioneer's PAC modules. Due to its low value for money, the LaserActive was a commercial failure

>> No.1634694

>>1633580
>>1633503
And people still pretends Sega was the best?