[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 186 KB, 256x300, conquerors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1620651 No.1620651[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

My brother keeps kicking my ass in AOC and I need tips.

Here's what I already do:
>make a shitload of villagers and put them to work for various things throughout the game
>scout a bunch and find sheep
>keep building farms and upgrading stuff

The thing I know I suck at is defenses. There's always a weak spot I forget about somewhere and he finds or slips in somehow. I'm working on that. Not to mention at a certain point in the game the map starts to run out of gold and you can only go to the market so much once you reach that point in the game. He's quicker on the draw than me, too.

>> No.1620659

It's better to wait with building farms until you're completely dry of other sources of food (hunting/foraging), farms are less efficient IIRC. If your turtling strategies fail against your bro, try rushing him first, go for Feudal Age rush strategies or something like that. I'm not sure what to recommend about him "slipping through weak spots" because I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Gold running out is nothing you can fix but it's also a problem for you both.

Also posting this video because I have an excuse to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upy3WOgQVvE

>> No.1620679

>>1620659
zerg rushing works better in the first AoE game.

What I mean by defenses is that sometimes my position is blocked by trees and such, so I just wall to that point, then, he would build Onagers to take em out.

He also has shittons of towers, bombard and otherwise. I sort of have a way to at least get to his town with bombadiers (really effective on buildings) but if it's a water map, he ends up winning in a walk (he chooses the Vikings most of the time). Always outlasts me economically too. He just works faster.

>> No.1620706

>>1620679
Play a siege civ like Celts both to counter his beefy infantry and take care of his towers. Siege engines are really OP in AoE I and II, absolute infantry-murdering machines. Or you could play chinamen to more easily outeconomy him. Build fireships he doesn't have access to to beat him on the sea. Use your own Onagers to clear out the trees and build walls, or just chop wood with peasants in spots like that from the start.

>> No.1620713

>>1620706
I usually play Byzantines anyway. They're pretty good with siege units, but they move so slow even if I upgrade their speed stats.

Bombadier cannons are the shit though. They fire fast and can kill anything.

>> No.1621072

bump