[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 82 KB, 239x240, SMW.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1601526 No.1601526 [Reply] [Original]

Or "that kid" thread from his point of view.
I could sworn i actually was able to reach these two islands in the original SMW for the SNES by doing something in the first stage of chocolate island.The fact that the stage is also really weird himself could had helped me create that illusion as a child.

>> No.1602196

>>1601526
I just remember several "that kid" urban legends that didn't turn out to be true.

Like this kid told me that there was a code that would unlock dismemberment in Bushido Blade 2, or the kid that told me about nude raider

>> No.1602227

Kind of related, but the opposite. I remember when I first played Star Fox 64 I accidentally flew through the waterfall on the first level and went on to the alternative path. I was so excited, but I didn't know how I did it and thus couldn't recreate it no matter how many times I tried.

When I told my friends about it, they all said I was crazy and probably just dreamed it, but I knew that I did it for real.

It wasn't until I replayed the game a decade later that I finally found out how I did it.

So suck it fags, told you so.

>> No.1602274

>>1601526
I swear I remember jumping inside the front painting in the Tiny Huge Island hall the first time I entered it, but sadly it turned out to be a false memory. A normal sized island would have been cool though

>> No.1602321

I unintentionally performed the HeatMan stage glitch in mm2 that sends you to Wily-1. No one believed me. I even convinced myself it was a dream.

>> No.1602346

>>1602227
That happened with me and the Warp Zone in Sector X. I remembered shooting down the missiles when I was a kid, but I was never able to beat the water level and get there, so for years I wondered how I'd gotten there.

>> No.1602378
File: 10 KB, 256x224, RPG_Body_Slam.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like I recall seeing so many hidden rooms and stuff in Super Mario RPG. Maybe that stemmed from the intro screens showing all that stuff that wasn't in the game. Maybe the game world just seemed bigger as a kid.

>> No.1602395
File: 1.31 MB, 3200x2212, C2-Judgment-Clay-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I managed to accidentally input the "all characters" code for Clayfighter 2 once. At the time I knew a few codes for some of the characters but I didn't expect there to be an "all characters" code so I thought I'd glitched the game or something. It was really hard turning the game off later because I thought I'd never be able to do it again.

Then we eventually got the internet but that was later.

>> No.1602398

>>1602321
Did this the first time I ever played the game. I knew I'd fucked up somehow because I could tell the palettes were messed up. Never did it again until I learned about it.

>> No.1602420
File: 131 KB, 318x298, 1398804893225.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My cousin told me that i could Unlock Darth Vader in Star Wars Episode 1 Racers for the n64.If i could complete the game without dying or crashing into anything and in a certain amount of time.
>tfw i believed it
>Unlock Darth Vader
>Darth Vader
fuck

>> No.1602649

The first time I played OOT, I played on my cousin's game, starting in the Temple of Time. However, my memory of that experience is completely different from how the game really is.

I remember it being filled with lots of corridors, and there being several redeads inside.

I don't know why I remember it being like that, but I still do recall it so vividly, even though I know I must have dreamed it. When I first got the game for myself, I was so confused because the Temple of Time was so small, when I remembered it being so much bigger. I kept thinking it would eventually become an entire dungeon, but it never did.

>> No.1602659

>>1602649
I remember fighting Sheik in the Water Temple, for some reason.

>> No.1602671

>>1602659
I could swear there was a small tribe of friendly headless people in one room of the Water Temple. You could even talk to them.

>> No.1602674

I'm the real that kid, I made up the most inane shit about Star Gladiator. I just wanted to be cool. I don't know how I wasn't called on my shit, the things I made up just couldn't be even remotely possible

>> No.1602686

On Xenogears, I went straight to the core of the final boss, did not destroy any of the parts separately.

I beat it. So I tell my friends. They call BS and are like "well do it again"

To this day I can't.

>> No.1602689

>>1602420
anakin is the first one unlocked... wth

>> No.1602698

Every "that kid" urban legend I remember was sex-related.

"If you beat Mario you get to have sex with the princess."
"If you beat Zelda you get to have sex with the princess."
"There's a move in Mortal Kombat where Sonya shows her boobs."
"There's a finish move in Mortal Kombat where Liu Kang grabs Sonya's boobs and says 'TO-KY-O! TO-KY-O!"

>> No.1602734

>>1602698
That kid is now a regular at /h/. How does that make you feel.

>> No.1602745

>>1602196
>I just remember several "that kid" urban legends that didn't turn out to be true.

Like the one in Street Fighter 2 where Blanka morphs into Franz Kafka?

>> No.1602756

>>1602745
That's a new take on The Metamorphosis if I ever heard one.

>> No.1602761

>>1602745
>>1602745
Never heard of the Franz Kafka one, but I heard that Cammy morphs into Emma Goldman.

>> No.1602776
File: 148 KB, 180x100, spaceballs the animated.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1602756
Ready, Kafka?

>> No.1602798

Not so much "doing" as "seeing". But, I swear when I was a kid before I got to know the Mario franchise intimately I thought there existed a mario brother or cousin or relative or w/e that always dressed in some sort of light baby blue.

When I was 10 (2001) I was obsessed with trying to find out who the fuck it was only to find out it never existed (unless it was some sort of fan art I somehow saw) by spending hours upon hours on themushroomkingdom.net

>> No.1602858

In grade school, I hung out with that kid. I remember telling him about Majora's Mask, then he tried to one up me by saying there was a special edition off Ocarina of Time with stuff like the temple of bones or Sun temple.

>> No.1602867

>>1602798
>>1602798
You might not've been imagining it.
The Colecovision and Intellivision versions of Donkey Kong featured Mario with a different colour palette than usual. I don't remember which was which, but one had a yellow-skinned Mario in Robin-egg-blue overalls and a red shirt (more akin his more contemporary appearances when, at the time, the standard was red overalls and a blue shirt) and the other had him with a skin-colour that matched the Yotsuba B background colour which is sort of baby blue.
But then again, you're an itty bitty baby, itty bitty boat twinkie house so those releases might be far too old pour vous.

>> No.1602884

>>1602674
Nobody played that shit game. So nobody cared to call you out on your bullshit.

>> No.1603145

>>1602867
ahha yeah err I guess 23 is relatively young o.O'

but you're probably right, I just imagined it, I wouldn't have had contact with those systems until I was like 15ish or so.

>> No.1603392
File: 104 KB, 250x250, 1398132043786.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1602858
fuck man,now that you mentioned Majora's mask i recalled a scenario that i(probably?) dreamed about.
I recall being stuck in the snowhead temple for a long time not knowing what to do and went to explore the rest of the game world using the recent adquired goron's mask.i then reached most part of the things to do in the bay coast,including the zora's mask and hookshot.Then i went back to the snowhead temple,used the hookshot into some torch grappable things and progress through the dungeon normally.At the end,i even recall having a extra key for the dungeon.
Still have to be capable of doing it again on my others playthrough though.

>> No.1603675

>>1602196
Nude Raider was a patch.

>> No.1603685

>>1601526
False or distorted gaming memories. Happens to everyone. As for mine? I swear I can remember fished up a Chansey once years and years ago on Pokemon Red. No gameshark or Missingno glitch. I was facing south, the location was Cinnibar Island, I cast my rod, and the damn thing appeared from nowhere! Didn't get to catch it unfortunately.

>> No.1603707

The idiot's that kept saying that black label ff7 had voices for the final ending movies if you beat the game a certain way/in a limited amount of time.

No, just no....I've ripped that game apart, that is no voice overs damn you all.

>> No.1603709

The clouds in Super Marios Bros 3 felt really soft when you walk on them.

>> No.1603719
File: 289 KB, 583x800, Anakaris.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember in Tekken 3 I was fighting my friend as Yoshimitsu and did some weird move where it looked like Yoshimitsu died and some glitchy looking ghostshimitsu did some mental grab attack on my friend and killed him but I've never managed to replicate it and it isn't in the command list.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have I been implanted with artificial memories?

>> No.1603721

This isn't a false memory, but I'm not sure how to redo it to verify.

I was playing a fairly crap pokemon red cart (dead save battery + dirty looking connectors) and went into a pokemon centre. After the pokeballs went on the machine and the noise played, the thing just stopped. The balls remained on the machine and I couldn't leave the pokemon centre. If i remember properly, I couldn't open the start menu. Re-visiting the counter made the healing noise play again, but didn't get the nurse to return my pokemon. As I had none in the box, etc, It was basically game over there.

Had it just crashed healing, that would have made sense, but being able to walk around the pokemon centre without pokemon was odd.

>> No.1603756

>>1603685
Sounds like the safari zone glitch? You go to safari zone, find the pokemon you like and surf around cinnabar? Maybe it works with fishing too? It's the easiest way to catch most the safari zone pokemon in red and blue because the safari zone mechanics are so obtuse.

>> No.1603768

I have a false memory of a secret in Super Mario World.

In one of the fortress/castle stages with an auto-moving "snake" platform of empty blocks (the kind that makes all sorts of twists and turns and Mario has to keep moving to stay on top of it), it eventually goes straight down a long pit.

I have a very clear memory of riding the platform down the pit to discover an alcove with a one-up and a door that led to the room just before the boss door.

Many years later, I replayed this stage and rode the platform down... and found nothing. And died, of course, for falling into the pit.

How did such a seemingly clear and concrete delusion put itself into my mind? I do not know. How many other memories of mine are just as illusory? How could I know that they are false memories? What litmus test could I possibly hope to find to reveal the exact details of moments so long gone in the past?

At least a video game doesn't change over the years.

>> No.1603783
File: 89 KB, 2826x876, SuperMarioWorld-ValleyOfBowser-7Larry'sCastle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1603768
IIRC there are two levels with the brown block snakes. You probably just went to the wrong one.

>> No.1603801
File: 385 KB, 1280x1024, maniac_mansion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maniac Mansion. NES version.

I could have sworn that the Edisons would actually follow me when I ran out of a room. I also remember them just instantly jumping out and grabbing me when I opened their bedroom doors.

Neither of these things actually happen in the game with the exception of them incidentally following the player into another room because it's on their way to wherever they are headed. The memories are so vivid that it still blows me mind that they aren't real. I guess it's just barely possible I happened to open a bedroom door just as they were leaving on more than one occasion. Very much doubt that though.

>> No.1603828

>>1602884

it was awesome, you know not of what you speak

>> No.1604259
File: 24 KB, 256x224, Killer_Instinct_GBC_ScreenShot2[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember playing Killer Instinct on the game boy back in the day.

When my buddy took a turn, he got up to the final boss, then somehow fell through the floor and down a big pit.

To this day I have no idea wtf happened (but I never really checked it out either)

>> No.1604284

Starfox 64/Lylat Wars
I could have sworn I got a differently colored double laser after the cyan laser one time. My brother called me out on my bullshit, but I was honestly believing it myself for a while before reason kicked in.

>> No.1604326
File: 30 KB, 265x256, 1394322048272.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1603709
nigger,this is another level of immersion.
On the note,when i was younger I thought it was a giant centipede in the sky,because clouds aren't purple

>> No.1604330

>>1603721
tried to find any battles to see what happens?
Would be funny if the safari zone menu opened and you could won the game just by throwing rocks and making them flee from their trainers

>> No.1604368
File: 40 KB, 256x224, DKC2_test3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For years I remembered a weird level I went in DKC2, that had a few enemies and a wall at the end with a door that you couldn't go in. I started to think that it was just a dream but a year ago I discovered that the level was real and it is an unused level that I have no idea how I got in.

>> No.1604413

Okay this is obscure but it fucking happened.

I used to have a Gameboy and at some point I got a Game Genie (the thing that let you enter some code on a game and access different shit) and one day I randomly entered numbers on Micro Machines and I got into some debug screen where I could pick any car I wanted and any track.

Of course, after this I couldn't get back into it despite my best efforts.

;-;

>> No.1604434

I have a more recent one and it's not entirely /vr/ but still kind of relevant to this thread.

In Fable 2, I lost the dog, but one time I swear a ghost dog appeared, I heard it bark an everything, and cased after some bandits I was chasing.

A little more /vr/ and on topic, I swear I distinctly remember finding a way to wall kick to the roof of the castle in Mario 64, but I could never pull it off again.

>> No.1604442

His dad still hasn't finished making Super Mario Jumbo.

>> No.1604449

I have a "Thing I recalled doing but everyone told me was impossible, but then turned out was possible" if that counts.

Sonic 3D for the Mega Drive, I accessed a cheat screen somehow by doing nothing, as far as I was concerned. I told a few people and they didn't believe me. At the time, I was crouching and kind of fell forward a little, then steadied myself on the console. Then a message came up saying I'd unlocked the secret cheat screen or whatever. Couldn't get it to work again as I didn't know what I did, if anything. I sort of started to doubt the memory.

Years later I found out that knocking the cartridge slightly causes the level select screen to appear as a kind of default emergency boot, or something. I was the kid in the playground who made up crap for once, but it turned out I didn't!

>> No.1604569

I remember the islands too. When i defeated the 5th castle and the islands starts to move, they kindly talk to me, making me see opening and other things.

>> No.1605058

>>1604330
Couldn't exit the pokemon centre, so battling wasn't possible.

That safari zone suggestion sounds like it would have been pretty fun, though.

>> No.1605298
File: 29 KB, 445x435, cat-dough.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1601526
Not really in the same vain, but I remember thinking as a kid that I came up with the concept of pichu. Let's just say I am still waiting for my royalties.

>> No.1605318

>>1603719
I know what you're talking about I can't remember how to do it I'm thinking it's just one of his grabs from a certain angle but it might be an actual move but yeah... I remember trying to find it in his command list forever.

>> No.1605603

Someone once told me there was a Sapphire WEAPON in the PC version of FF7, located in the snowy area. I never had the PC version so I always assumed it was true. Turns out it's not.

>> No.1605665

>>1605603
if you get the level 4 limit break for cloud before the death of Aeris you can prevent sephiroth from killing her.

>> No.1605723

>>1602649

Maybe you went outside and ram around the market, thinking you were still inside because you were a retarded kid

>> No.1605743
File: 32 KB, 640x480, 640px-MP1_PedalPower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This kid in my class told me I could just press the C buttons in a circle instead of spinning the control stick around in the circles. I had some trouble beating pedal power in Mario Party. I never did go back and ask him why he sold me that bullshit.

>> No.1605764
File: 2 KB, 125x93, 1390587525903s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1605743

>> No.1605802

>>1605764

Worst fucking minigame. Then again, there's not much difference between it and mecha fly guy.

>> No.1605806
File: 37 KB, 270x188, link_zora.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1602858

I knew That Kid in gradeschool as well, and he also claimed some real bullshit about Majora's Mask, which really piqued my interest at the time since OOT was basically my favorite game. He had told me that the game would let you turn into a vampire, which would let you suck the life out of enemies to kill them, and would actually increase your maximum health. In retrospect, this wasn't really that silly an idea, and in fact I think I know where he got the idea, since I recall on the back of the Majora's Mask box, alongside several other ingame screenshots is a shot of the animation where Link transforms into the Zora form (pic related), which I can see a little kid interpreting as a vampire.

... Of course, he also claimed some other stuff that was less than plausible, such as that when Link was hit by an enemy attack, he would yell out "Shit!" and "Crap!"

>> No.1605834

>>1605802
>mecha fly guy.
that was bullshit, i had a hard time being 8 and playing mario party 2. Trying to get the green duel tree minigames unlocked.

>> No.1605851

>>1605834

I was about... 12 at the time. I remember having a bitch of a time trying to get first place in that horror board; forgot the name of it, but the one with Kamek giving you items. I hate levels that depend on time of day for victory.

>> No.1605863

>>1605851
>I hate levels that depend on time of day for victory.
that was a weird stage but heres a story.

>be 8 playing pirate land on MP2
>Star is on other side of the stage
>nobody can get it because everybody lands on a ? space while on bridge
>WTF
>kept going on for 50 fucking turns!

>> No.1605870

Mario 3

>going left from the start on the first stage map, lead to an area full of Mushroom houses.

I remember it so vividly too

>> No.1605871

>>1605863

Jesus. I forget, but how long is 50 turns approximately? Minigames are about 50 seconds on average right? So am I to assume this went on for around an hour or so?

>> No.1605875

>>1605871
minigames and turns its almost about 2 hours depending how fast everyone is.

>> No.1605891

>>1605875

Fuck, then that's one long game for you guys. Here I thought crazy times were had when I played Mario Party.

>> No.1605904
File: 8 KB, 320x224, Specialstages1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought you could access the special stages from Sonic 1 in Sonic 2. I saw my older cousin play the Sonic 1 cart that he borrowed from his friend, and assumed he was just accessing the special stage in multiplayer mode. I convinced his little sister that we could do this, and we were both trying to get to the special stage for what seemed like hours.

I didn't know all that much about Sonic at the age of 6 or 7.

>> No.1605942

It seemed like most of the video game rumors that floated around my neighborhood and school in the 90's revolved around Super Mario World and Pokemon. Seriously, kids were always saying they did crazy shit in those games and got to crazy different worlds.

>> No.1605953

For the longest time, I couldn't get past the 2nd area of Zelda 2. I never came across Bagu and the Engrish clues went over my head. Kids in school didn't know and I didn't have Nintendo Power, and I wasn't allowed to call the tip line. One time I was in the water town, Saria trying to figure out how to get to the bridge to appear. and the game started glitching. For some reason it transported me to the other side of the bridge and I emerged in the mountains with all the caves and I thought the game was all fucked up because there were so many of the black square caves on the screen. After awhile the game froze and when I re-started it, of course it was normal again and I had no idea what I did to make me get to the other side. Took me a few years until I randomly came across Bagu and realized that it had only been a fluke that made me transport to the other side.

>> No.1605971 [DELETED] 

This isn't videogame related, but a kid in middle school went around saying that yellow Starbursts increased your sperm count. Lemon Starbursts became very popular for awhile. I'm guessing we thought that a higher sperm count meant better orgasms, because I doubt that anyone was trying to make bitches pregnant.

>> No.1605975

Once I was playing the original PSO on DreamCast, already had a character, wanted to try a different class but only had one VMU. Took it out and made a new character just to dick around since I couldn't save anyways. I made a HUnewearl, went into the forest and for some reason I was equipped with a Photon Claw instead of the regular saber. This was my first time ever seeing the weapon or the character class, so I thought maybe it was a normal thing for this class. Quit playing after a few minutes, and later found that this was apparently impossible, and I have never seen or heard anyone else replicate it, and off course, I have no proof other than my memory. I swear it's some sort of hidden easter egg related to Nei, it would make sense for it to only work with no VMU since otherwise people would find out and abuse it online.

>> No.1605989

I distinctly remember renting Chrono Trigger one time and seeing that Ayla had a weapon equipped. Dino Club or something. I don't remember the name. Could have sworn she had it though.

>> No.1606003

>>1602227

My cousin's next door neighbor told me everything I needed to know in order to get to the real Andross in Star Fox 64; probably had a Nintendo Power. Anyway, he told me one lie and naturally I believed him because of all the progress I made because of him.

He told me that I could make it to Aquas one of two ways, scoring just high enough in Sector Y (forgot the amount) which as we all know is the real way; or finding the Blue Marine on some platform in the level. I think he said it was way to the right of the screen.

I thought it would be easier trying to find the blue marine, rather than doing the score attack. Eventually just gave up and managed to get the score required to go to Aquas.

>> No.1606005

When I was 7 I remember some of my brother friends bringing Mortal Kombat Trilogy to our house, with its characteristic "round" N64 cartridge They even called it a "new era" game.

They inserted it into our SNES (no N64 until years later) and somehow it worked fine until it froze after some fights.

>>1605298
My brother drew an old starmsn with a moustache in an autismal 10 years old Mario comic, and then some time after, the same fucking star appeared in Mario Party 3.

Where's muh money, Nintendo?

>> No.1606031
File: 532 KB, 800x480, Mario_Kart_7_Mario_Circuit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought banzai bills were in Super Bros 3 Had a false memory of them when I was real little. I remembered my friend's mom's boyfriend saying "DUCK!" whenever a bullet bill was heading my way. I had a NES that didn't work, and my friend had no games. We made it work by me coming over with the games. Anyway, maybe in my mind they seemed like bullet bills because that guy sort of made me panic whenever he said "DUCK!" while watching me play.

>>1606005

I dreamed about a course in Mario Kart where you could drive through Peach's castle around 18 years ago. It was almost exactly like this. I want my dosh too.

>> No.1606058

>>1604259
At least in the SNES version, you could get hit through the floor or ceiling. Might be on the GB version as well.

>> No.1606079

>>1606005
>maybe it was a bootleg cart?
I had a NES clone because I was poor and the cartridges are similar, but the inner workings are different.
it supports some sega games.
or maybe I'm being that kid, It has been so long.

>> No.1606709

>>1605318
Thanks for validating that I'm not completely insane

>> No.1606734

>>1603685
>>1603756
It would work with fishing. The glitch is with Cinnabar Island itself.

The way the glitch works is due to the fact that Cinnabar Island has no data for wild pokemon because it's a town, so it just uses whatever data is already there.

In the missigno glitch, it's the trainer's name because of how the tutorial battle in viridian switches around data. In the Safari Zone glitch, it's the data for whatever zone you just left.

So it's entirely possible you did do that.

>> No.1608018
File: 143 KB, 400x291, DKC2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was casually playing Donkey Kong Country 2 like i had done hundreds of times before. On the last level (Top-Sail Trouble) in Gangplank Galleon when i made it to the finish with Diddy, his boombox turned gold and had a big ruby on the front.
I got so excited i called my brother over but just stood there wondering, asking what was going on. I keep shouting for him to get the fuck over here, once he is at the TV the level is over and no one believed me.

Found out that this is a graphic/color glitch that can be triggered. One level it can be triggered is on Hot-Head Hop in Crocodile Cauldron.

>> No.1608035

>>1605806
Back in 2003 i played the shit out of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. He claimed he had gotten all the badges and made something up about hidden or secret characters, some badges that would just seem OP to me.
Little did he know i was autistic enough to already have collected 100% by the time he started lying.

This was also the same kid who had years before told me had had gotten Mew in first the Pokemon games (but he couldn't retell or show me it ofcourse) and had supposedly gotten 100% in every Metroid game.

>> No.1608043

>>1608035
i told kids i got mew all the time. they asked for mew i said sure and traded it away. the next day i'm back and i have mew again they swore i knew how to catch them in the wild. little did they know i had a back up device and a several cheat devices.

>> No.1608070

>>1608018
like 5 years ago I playing dkc3 on my snes, it was in one of the waterfall levels and I ran into this weird black bee that I had never seen in the game. I don't know if it was a glitch or some kind of secret. I even took a picture of it and put it on my myspace but that's obviously lost now.

>> No.1608087

>>1602686
I did this on my first time. At least that's how I remember it..

>> No.1608092

>>1603719
That's just his right-side throw, dude.

>> No.1608134
File: 184 KB, 299x263, blackbuzz.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1608070
http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Donkey_Kong_Country_3:_Dixie_Kong's_Double_Trouble!_glitches#Miscolored_Buzzes

All i could find on the topic. You are not crazy either

>> No.1610686
File: 653 KB, 2955x2216, 6gBr0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1606005
Maybe it was just a Super Famicom cart?

>> No.1610704

>>1608070
I believe you, if only for the fact that I was once playing DKC and the fish enemy (Think they were called Bitesize) was a golden color. It also happened to a different enemy some other time I was playing through the game, so the idea of enemies changing colors in the DKC games sounds believable to me.

>> No.1610719
File: 1016 KB, 450x345, 1365487443180.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>hear from a friend back in the day about the white ship in super mario bros 3
>he tells me it randomly comes in world 1 and its full of coins and shit
>look around in every level in that world looking for a secret exit
>fucking nothing, assume he's just bullshitting me
>many years later, randomly playing smb3
>have no idea how but the white ship appears
>tell same friend about it, he acts smug for the rest of the day
>im still baffled that it was true

>> No.1610724

I was playing Pokémon Silver and cloning Entei because he was the most badass Pokémon there was at the time.
After about a dozen clones, I ended up with one that looked like the player when put in the daycare. He would just spin clockwise, and I don't remember what he was like in battle.

>> No.1610726

>>1601526
I remember having a dream that I played as Gary (Blue) in Pokemon Blue. For years I thought it was real until I learned later that it was impossible.

>> No.1610734

While playing Donkey King Country as a kid, I unintentionally activated the warp between the first level and second level. This warp is activated by mashing the jump button while walking from the first level to the second level in the overworld map, and warps you a few worlds and levels ahead.

I tried to do this years later in front of several people at a party to much embarrassment, because it was patched out in later revisions.

I also recall throwing a metal keg at a beaver in the first level and not killing it but "skinning" it; it didn't die but it's sprite looked like glass. Haven't been able to replicate it or find an example online, so I think it was just some childhood memory bullshit.

>> No.1610812

>>1601526
Goof Troop, I remember seeing a red pirate (Jester) throwing a sword instead of a barrel as they usually do. Green pirates (Jack) throw swords so for a while I tought Jesters could do both. Probably what confused me is that there were both of them in a room and the sprites overlapped. Jesters are my favorite kind of enemies in the game because of this though.

>> No.1610854

Nobody at school believed me when I told them a guard in Goldeneye spawned without a weapon and followed me around doing tactical rolls while attempting to fire an invisible gun. It was on Facility, one of the first guards in the level. I've never replicated it or heard of it from anyone else though.

Those fucks also didn't believe me when I said scientists will get out a gun and shoot you/throw grenades if you hit them a couple times.

>> No.1610949

>>1606031
i still have dreams about finally unlocking some new levels in Mario Kart 64. I wish I could make my own GP's in that game.

>> No.1610952

>>1602659
When I was a kid it bugged the hell out of me that you fight Shadow Lonk in the water temple. I always thought, wouldn't the shadow temple be more fitting? Or maybe the spirit temple, since he's like a spirit?

Then years later I realized it was because there's water in the room, and Shadow Link is Link's reflection.

>> No.1610967

>>1602867
>itty bitty baby itty bitty boat twinkie house
Damn... how many of us were actually here for that?

>> No.1610969

>>1610719

To unlock the coin ship you have to finish a level with both digits of your coin counter at the same value as the second-to-last digit on your score. It only appears in some of the worlds because it replaces one of the Hammer Bros.

>> No.1610974

I remember renting OOT from a Blockbuster when I was really young. There was a save file on it that had all the medallions and crap on it already, so I loaded it up. I remember starting in a really dark room with the iron boots on, and the camera was near the ceiling and looking down on Link. I got scared and turned it off (I was a bitch back then) and started a new game instead. To this day I have no idea what section that was, and I've played through OOT multiple times obviously.

>> No.1610995

>>1602867
HABEEB IT

>> No.1611000

I knew this kid who swore up and down that it was possible for X to transform into Zero and vice versa in Megaman X 4. Naturally he refused to tell me how to do it. He also told me there was a code to get Zero in gold armor similar to how there is a code for Zero's black armor.

>> No.1611003
File: 40 KB, 475x640, mario.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1602798
mario used to be baby blue

for some years he was shown as both red mario and blue mario

>> No.1611054

I remember so vividly the first time I played Mario is Missing for the SNES and when I entered a door, instead of appearing in a city, I appeared in another zone of the castle with two pipes (like the NES version)

>> No.1611102

>>1610967
At least three.

>> No.1611131

>>1604434
>A little more /vr/ and on topic, I swear I distinctly remember finding a way to wall kick to the roof of the castle in Mario 64, but I could never pull it off again.

The angles are tricky, but that's not all that difficult, anon: check out some vids of that shit.

>> No.1611185

I know that the gba isn't retro, but has anyone else accessed the startup debug screen? I know that I have accessed a few times but I can't for the life of me remember how to access it.

I am almost sure that it used Japanese characters and was entirely text based but that is all that I remember. I would really appreciate it if someone could validate my experience because it still resonates with me after all these years.

>> No.1611306
File: 17 KB, 263x192, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember being able to but in a code with the C buttons to play as Reptar in Rugrats Scavenger Hunt for the N64. I have no idea why.

>> No.1611317

>>1608043
>cheat device
had one as well, got mew on my pokemon blue in 2000, way before they found the mew glitch. Good times, sold pokemen at school.

>> No.1611320

>>1610974
I'd like to know what that was. Any speedrunners here?

>> No.1611326

>>1611185
Is this really possible? I was following the GBA piracy scene back then and never heared anyone talking about such a menu.

>> No.1611374

>>1605058
someone needs to make a mod of this, eventually you level up, get stronger, and throw bigger rocks

>> No.1611396

>>1605806
>... Of course, he also claimed some other stuff that was less than plausible, such as that when Link was hit by an enemy attack, he would yell out "Shit!" and "Crap!"

He probably misheard Link's grunts. When I was a kid, I thought Link said "shit!" when he got hit, too.

>> No.1611406

>>1601526
But it is possible, right? I did it too, I swear. Is there no guide, no?

>> No.1611408

>>1610974
"really dark room" is kind of vague, do you remember anything else? How big the room was, if there was anything in it, etc

>> No.1611429

>>1606005
it was PAL/SFC cart

>> No.1611434

Final Fantasy 7 ...
The 1st time I played it I rushed through the game and ran away from most battles, my party never leveled up much.
So I reached Sephiroth with a super weak party, Cloud was like lv24(or less) and Cid and Barret were way weaker than him.
The final battle lasted over an hour and I have no idea how I survived but I was able to defeat him.
Noone believes me.

>> No.1611440

One of my stupid classmates said there were super nintendo games based on shitty Mexican soap operas. He said he had some and explained how the game play was and so. The stories were so stupid, but at the same time so funny.
I never believed him but it was still fun to hear about those imaginary crappy games.

>> No.1611659

>>1601526

I remember getting into that Chris Houlihan room by accident when I was a kid.
Creeped me out a bit. Took a decade for me to reproduce it, only managed it by searching the interwebs whether someone else ever encountred such a room

>> No.1612310

I vividly remember doing something that caused Kokiri Village and the Lost Woods to flood and make a very strong current that pulled you around if you went in the water in OOT and I remember that there was this really tense music that played.

I also seem to remember being able to explore the castle which looked a lot like the castle in Quest 64.

Weird stuff that I don't know why I remember because I know it's not real.

>> No.1612331

>>1605806
>He had told me that the game would let you turn into a vampire, which would let you suck the life out of enemies to kill them, and would actually increase your maximum health
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Was this kids name Kyle?
If so, the same fucking kid told me the same thing and that to get the vampire mask you have to shoot the direct center of the moon's left eyeball at this one specific second on near the end of the third day.

>> No.1612336

Not quite /vr/, but I remember back when Dragon Ball Z was huge and GT hadn't been brought to America yet, we would buy trading cards and posters from the local swap meet and he would say that he used to live in Japan and told us the entire story of GT about how Goku became the dark sayian and was the villain of the series.

>> No.1612378

>>1612336
I knew a kid that said similar things about Naruto, I think Pein had just been introduced at the time.

>> No.1612387 [DELETED] 

>>1612378
Naruto is objective shit and you should seriously consider suicide for even bringing it up. I hope you don't post on /a/.

>> No.1612432
File: 97 KB, 687x442, CartelCruiser-GTA3-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be that kid
>have a chat at school with friend about GTA 3
>tell friend that there is secret monstertruck vehicle on 3rd island, it spawns at night only, and only in the airport
>friend spends hours searching for monstertruck
>make a photoshoped picture of fictional monstertruck (cartel jeep with bigger tires) so he can keep searching
>he still believes that monstertruck is real but he was unlucky and didnt find it

>> No.1612954

>>1612432
good one

>> No.1612981

>>1610995
I can't wait to start worshipping that hot man-hole..

>> No.1612998

>>1611000
Don't know shit about that gold armor but X3 made you switch between the two

>> No.1613026

>>1603392
I did this too. If you have the hookshot in Snowhead you can skip certain sections of the temple.

>> No.1613068

>>1612387
not him, but /a/ has naruto threads every week

it's pretty much agreed that the series sucks, but we're reading it anyways because we started it and want to finish it

>> No.1613072

>>1613068
They didn't used to be allowed though.
/q/ destroyed the board irreparably.

>> No.1613075

>>1613072
moot doesn't really care. the people that complain about it are far more annoying than the people that post it

>> No.1613104

>>1613072
Naruto was never disallowed, and the whole objectively bad faggotry is just a result of newfags with an inability to form their own opinions latching on to a bandwagon.

>> No.1613106

>>1613104
You clearly weren't around on /a/ prior to /q/
Fuck off back to /b/ you tasteless plebeian scum.

>> No.1613117
File: 224 KB, 710x840, bingo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I knew I would need this again!

>> No.1613121

>>1613117
>>1613106
>>1613104
>>1613075
RIP the thread

>> No.1613130
File: 62 KB, 471x377, Dirty laundry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1613117
Right behind you.

>> No.1614084

>>1610949
some dude made an experimental mario kart 64 editor in like 2007 or something but i dunno if the project went anywhere

>> No.1614110

>>1603801
I have exactly the same memory from the PC version.

>> No.1614698

>>1601526
I remember watching a commercial for Mario 64 where at one point Mario entered in one the windows on the top of the Whomp's Fortress. I was a bit disappointed when I discovered you couldn't actually do it.

>> No.1614936

>>1601526
Yes, I recall one for super smash bros 64.
My older brother had heard from a "that kid" that if you scored enough k.o's with any character, they would be upgraded.

Example, score enough k.o's with pikachu, and he'll become raichu. Mario would become metal mario, dk becomes giant dk, and for some reason I believed Luigi would become Master Hand.

So glad that there are cheats that let you play as these characters now.

>> No.1615536

I remember once in my Pokemon Red Version I fucking swear I used metronome and it used the move "Tombstoner" that was a one hit kill.
Tombstoner is one of the fake answers in Blaine's gym quizzes when you are asked about a certain TM.
I just remember that name and I didn't even know it was a question in Blaines gym until I started looking around online.
I swear it was real too.

>> No.1615557

Im 1000% certain there's a weapon in the very last level of Ranger X along the fences, it was some omega ray thing

I did not have a Gameshark for Genesis and even if I did I didnt know how to use it until way after back then so I know I didn't put anything

There was an extra weapon in the last level and I will lie in my deathbed believing it

>> No.1615615

>>1604434
I have done it, and it's not very difficult. It took me until I was 17, but I finally beat the game and I've moved onto banjo kazooie at age 18 and am almost done. Feels good. So basically, it took me 7+ years to beat that game. I haven't beaten any other games from the N64. None.

>> No.1615618

>>1605806
>I knew That Kid in gradeschool as well, and he also claimed some real bullshit about Majora's Mask, which really piqued my interest at the time since OOT was basically my favorite game. He had told me that the game would let you turn into a vampire, which would let you suck the life out of enemies to kill them, and would actually increase your maximum health.
Jesus, how horrifying.

>> No.1615624

>>1605989
Pick your poison
weapons:
http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Chrono_Trigger_weapons
Of interest:
http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Dino_Tail

>> No.1615803

Final Fantasy VII had a shitload of these. The most well known being "resurrecting Aeris", but I definitely remember more that people would spread by word of mouth. Vaguely remember someone saying something about another hidden Weapon to fight.

And I remember I downloaded some kind of complete secrets walkthrough. Like literally printed this shit out, like 70+ pages, and it was all fake shit about stuff supposedly hidden in the game.

>> No.1615879

>>1611306
For this to work you must be on the character select screen
Hold L+Z + C up+ C down + c left + C right

>>1615536
ah yes the glitch move. it's a complicated glitch to activate from pokemon red and blue.

>> No.1615903

I remember once playing the game The Suffering on the original Xbox with a buddy of mine around the first week it was out. I let him play and started the game from scratch. There's an opening scene with a lot of talking and you cant just run and jump while ot happens. My buddy is just do ing flips like crazy then suddenly the character has a cowboy hat on and the game is now doing a behind the scenes commentary. We both flipped out at how he stumbled on that without even trying. Its a real thing and I never told anyone about that before til now.

>> No.1616080
File: 454 KB, 384x672, SANGO1a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember getting to that secret cave in the sleeping forest and finding a chest with some good equip/weapon.

>> No.1616089

I remember playing Wizards & Warriors III for the NES and getting to the point where you're supposed to levitate up into the darkness and fight a dragon on some floating platforms, but instead of a dragon, there was a fish that had six floating eyes. The eyes would spin around in a circle and you'd have to use your projectiles (I believe you threw axes or something with a certain knight level) to individually knock out each eye. I think the fish shot fireballs out of its mouth.

I've looked all over for images of this but got nothing but a generic flying dragon, so I've been stuck assuming I made it up as a kid/dream it. It's been bothering me for a long time.

>> No.1616153

>>1611003
The blue denim workpants makes more sense for a plumber than bright red ones, though.

>> No.1616159
File: 60 KB, 500x373, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As a kid my big told me if I jumped over the flagpole in Super. Mario Brosthe game would open up a menu that would let me play any NES game ever made. As a stupid kid that didn't get how technology works this sounded perfectly reasonable. I decided after a week of trying that he was full of shit.

>> No.1616164

>>1616159
>my big brother told me*

Fucking mobile device shit.

>> No.1616170

>>1602227
That's in the INSTRUCTION MANUAL though.

I can't believe this surprised anyone.

>> No.1616483

>>1615879
The thing about the "glitch move" is that I wasn't doing anything special.
If I remember correctly I was just training an abra in the area above Cerulean by the Cerulean Cave

>> No.1616493

>>1602745

Jesus christ, what creepy ass kid has even heard of Franz Kafka? Let alone imagined that.

>> No.1616517

I have one of these for OOT, quite a common game for people to have this type experience with it seems.

I remember first entering kakriko village and there was a guard at the entrance infront of a locked gate (just like before death mountain). He gave me a warning, something to do with behaving myself and then let me in.

Now I realise I probably just confused the two events but I had this niggling feeling that there was some condition to be met to trigger it.

>> No.1617315

>>1601526

Here you go OP
This will help you cope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWbrNls-Kw

>> No.1617413
File: 3 KB, 256x168, StarWorld_SMW.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Probably not retro enough but I swear till the day I die there was a secret unlockable trick or treating mode in the Simpsons Hit and Run - saw it on G4's cheat or something.

Also am I the only one who thought there was something on the moon here? I had a dream where I actually reached it lol and couldn't remember if it was a dream or not for many years until I finally discovered the internet and cracked open the ROM in Lunar Magic to see for myself that there's nothing fucking there.

>> No.1617419
File: 1.12 MB, 1000x706, Ecco-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just outside the chamber where this Orca is, there is an open passage at the very bottom of the screen. I could've sworn going I went down there as a kid and found a orca baby or something, but apparently not because the map ends there.

>> No.1617423
File: 239 KB, 640x448, L_is_Real_2041.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't kid yourself /vr/

You looked for him too. ;_;

>> No.1617454

>>1617423

Actually as a child my TV wasn't clear enough for me to even think about trying to figure out what the hell that said.

>> No.1617456

>>1617423
You have to run around Chain Chomp's log 2041 times without getting hit, get all 120 stars in less than two hours, then jump over the waterfall outside the castle. Once you get there you'll find that Luigi is not in the game

>> No.1617460

>>1617423
Kind of odd of "Eternal Star" can look so much like "L Is Real"

>> No.1617472

>>1615803
I used to have a leather briefcase with like. EVERYTHING Mortal Kombat.

All my favorite shit.

FAQs, Fan Fiction, speculation, movie scripts, Ed Boon's MKT Nitro gag, fake screenshots. I even had The Limit's MK Pirate Products list in there.

Everything fake was clearly labelled as such and people still fell for it.

>> No.1617487

>>1616159
>Fuck the 90's... Seriously.
>While playing TMNT2 NES at school during some contrived "Free activity" period..
>"That Kid" walks up and tells me that there's a switch inside the cartridge that unlocks the arcade's graphics.
>Knew he was full of shit because I knew how the NES PPU worked and that it couldn't possibly have matched that.

Knowing how computers work is suffering when "That Kid" is around.

>> No.1617506

>>1617487

I think I'd rather hang out with "that kid" than you though.

>> No.1617518

>>1615615

off topic,
But my brother was able to get all the stars in Mario64 in 2 days.

Back then you could only rent new games from Blockbuster for 2 days at a time.

>> No.1617569

>>1601526
Just remembered playing Mario Kart 64. I was using toad and had 3 green shells stacked on top of 3 mushrooms on the final lap. I held on to them the entire lap in the end I fired off the 3 shells and 3 mushrooms as fast as possible. Toad crosses the finish line laughing and spinning.

what happened here?

>> No.1617601
File: 113 KB, 640x548, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember watching my mom playing SMW. She went to the spikes in pic related and entered a level. The level was just a long ass pit with spikes in it that she tried to fly over, but could never fly far enough. It also used the bonus game colour theme.

I even posted about this on some Mario forum where I was rightfully called a retarded liar.

>> No.1617642

>>1617601

But there is a level there; wtf are you talking about.

>> No.1617653

>>1602378
I spent so long searching for the Grate Guy casino that I was convinced it wasn't real

>> No.1617654

>>1617642
No, there isn't.

>> No.1617779

>>1617413
>Simpsons Hit and Run
Holiday Look

Change your system's internal clock (or play on a holiday) to the dates for Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas to experience a different game look.

>> No.1617802

>>1602378
there was a lot of hidden rooms in the game.

>> No.1617923

>>1617654

There is.

>> No.1618030

>>1605870
I've heard there are a lot of hacked Mario 3 carts in circulation (or were). Maybe you had one?

>> No.1618043

>>1617413
there's some sort of "complete the star" secret that gives you a power up station, or something equally pointless.

>> No.1618478
File: 228 KB, 479x336, secret area.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I was a kid I distinctly remember there being a secret wall you could jump through in Super Mario 64 in the first area in the castle upstairs on the right side of the wall. Inside was a character in the shape of a ring with eyes on top with a painting you could jump through.

>> No.1618507

>>1616159
> he doesn't know
it's possible legit.
http://youtu.be/JbLq_7nqB6A?t=2m20s
http://youtu.be/JbLq_7nqB6A?t=2m52s
I've done the second one by accident myself. it was awesome.

>> No.1618521

In Flashback for the genesis, you finish the first level by jumping down a pit with an anti-grav belt on the far right of the level.

There is a similarly large pit on the far left of the level that's just a dead end.

I always assumed if you backtracked the entire level once you get the belt and jump down that pit instead, you'd access an entirely different second level.
I'd have dream about that shit.

>> No.1618541

>>1618521
A similiar adventure puzzle styled game called eternal darkness done that shit also, you basically had to do something that killed you earlier later with no changes that makes it safe.

>> No.1618576

Here's mine.

On Mortal Kombat 2 on Genesis, my friend and I both remember a babality and friendship being performed where both characters were babies and the word friendship appeared on the screen during a cpu battle. could have been a glitch but I've never seen anything online to state that it could have happened for real.

Next, I SWEAR that the cartridge that we rented from blockbuster of Super Mario RPG had a factory level and I even read of a guy explaining about a version he played on a different message board that had a factory area. All I really remember was the battles on a conveyor belt of sorts.

>> No.1618580

>>1603801
I swear this happened in the PC version. I did have the copy-protected version where the door at the top of the stairs was locked, though.

>> No.1618585 [SPOILER] 
File: 977 KB, 4544x3072, 1399980548671.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1618576
Next, I SWEAR that the cartridge that we rented from blockbuster of Super Mario RPG had a factory level and I even read of a guy explaining about a version he played on a different message board that had a factory area. All I really remember was the battles on a conveyor belt of sorts.

But there is factory "level" in SM:RPG, pic related (spoilered due it being last are of entire game).

>> No.1618592
File: 6 KB, 240x180, 874932347.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1617472
>Putting vidya-related stuff in a briefcase

Whenever dad bought a new one I got to upgrade.

>> No.1618670

>>1618478
Have a look at this TAS run of it (starts at 21:36):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uep1H_NvZS0

Is it in there?

>> No.1618678

>>1617923
Prove it, that kid.

>> No.1618728

>>1618678

It's right there just emulate the game and press down at the beginning.

>> No.1618732

>>1618585
OH SHIT I never finished my cartridge...either that, or the colors were different.

Well, I know what I'm playing tonight (that, or I have a bad memory. I could have sworn I finished my cart...)

>> No.1618757

>>1618728
Post a screenshot, that kid. There is no way to go down there, you fucking liar.

>> No.1618760

>>1618757

Not that guy you're responding to.
But you can easily do it.
Just hold down and quickly press left or right.

>> No.1618765

>>1618760
Then you can easily post a screenshot of this level.

>> No.1618775

>>1618760
Keep lying. When we decide to report you for schoolyard-level trolling, you'll probably have quite a few ban requests from scruffy.

>> No.1618854

I played a version of Earthworm Jim which was missing one fucking vital thing. The last level with with the queen didn't have those small green zapping things, and I remember the KO bugs couldn't be killed, but the vital thing which is what fucked me over was the queen, the last boss was missing those green slime platforms you were suppose to shoot from, they most likely were added in a latter version once Earthworm Jim 2 was being worked on. Instead they gave me grappling hooks which I was suppose to somehow shoot while grappling, and sadly most games don't allow you to do more than 1 type of action. So instead I could jump inside Queen-Slug-For-A-Butt's mouth and instantly kill her, without even needing a plasma gun. That last part left me scratching my head, even to this day I can't find any intel on it.

Now for something which isn't true at all, aka more relevant to the thread's title.
Super Mario Forever, I got told that there's an invisible pipe in one of the clouds and you have to be really good at jumping to reach it. So I keep trying to jump on top of the clouds like a crazy motherfucker, even to the point I use debug cheats.
I got promised something over the top which at the time was pretty believable for Mario Forever, the game with more secrets than Harry Potter.
Supposedly inside that pipe there was a different world which contained a mario rpg game.I got told you get quests from the mushroom men and you enter dungeons and get items like shovels for digging and treasure chests. Basically like Simon's Quest, but with Mario or like Wario but with Mario.
Even got told that they expand on Mario's plumber status and utilize the pipes in a creative way like the original Mario Bros arcade. Where you have to fix clogged pipes, throw enemies inside the pipes, escape the excess water from the pipes, rebuild the pipes so the water flow and teleport works good, clear the zone of enemies so they stop breaking the pipes.

>> No.1618862

>>1618854
So I jump in the queen's mouth and she blows up.
I'm thinking; alright, Jim just blows her up from the inside, and *now I guess he is inside her giant coccoon thing where the princess is hidden*, it's also filled with lava for some reason... and how the fuck did the cow get there.

>> No.1618864

>>1618775

>being mad at schoolyard-level trolling

It's like being in elementary all over again

>> No.1618883

>>1618864
>Still being "that kid" as an adult
What's it like trying to lie about vidya when the internet exists?

>> No.1618892

>>1618883
>What's it like being mad at lies about vidya when the internet exists?

>> No.1618896

>>1618892
>get called out on your obvious bullshit
>y-you're just mad

>> No.1618901

>>1618896

>being called out on your madness
>o-oh you just bullshitting

And I'm not the guy that got you baited in the first place

>> No.1618909

>>1618901
>I'm someone else!
Sure you are.

>> No.1618915
File: 143 KB, 580x312, gam_abesoddysee_580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I know I'm not dreaming on this one.

When I started a game of Oddworld: Abe's Oddyssee one time the first screen froze and there was a voice of Abe speaking which was comprised mostly of audio from the first cutscene stitched together.

I remember it ended with him saying: "So, GET ME OUTTA HERE and all the others."

I've never replicated it. What the fuck guys?

>> No.1618916

>>1603719
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAA6eMpOfB8

Check out 0:52 an 1:03 for glitched grabs. You might be talking of the 3:30 face drain.

Skim through the video. See if you can find that move at:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekken3/profile.php?id=yoshimitsu

>> No.1618919 [DELETED] 
File: 81 KB, 640x406, 1394039192004-733803738.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hay /vr/

which devices can run gb Emulator with roms? My Guess is that I only know half the devives that can already run an emulator.
Also: what devices could potentially run emulators?

obvious:

PC/Laptop
Tablet/Smartphones/old cellphones

>> No.1618923

>>1618919
PSP, Wii, maybe Xbox?

>> No.1618940
File: 404 KB, 1421x1056, 30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember when i pressed some buttons really fast in the red circle (pic related) i was teleported to the snow world.
to this das, i cant remember if this really happened or recreate it
anyone else had a similar story?

>> No.1618952
File: 18 KB, 256x224, 05-03.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First of all, I was adamant that I released Marty the Thwomp from his prison in Bowser's Castle on MK64. I somehow opened the bars, and we traded places. He did the Thwomp HRHRHR laugh and flew out, and the bars closed on me.

The main thing is just... this game. Equinox, for SNES. I dunno what it was, but playing through it or even listening to the OST gives me some serious chills. I just associate its dungeons with this intense dread for some reason.

Also -- and this is fairly recent -- I was dicking about on OoT Master Quest on the GCN with Action Replay codes. I can't remember what I did now, but it entailed using Light Arrows and
moon jumping at the same time... or something. Either way, eventually I started firing nothing. I had spare arrows - infinite ones, even - and it wasn't making the empty quiver bowstring twang, it was making this long, drawn out, "shimmering light" noise, kind of like the sound that plays when you fall down a hole into a grotto. No arrows were fired, it was just a cone of light that made that sound.
Never worked out why it happened, or how to replicate it.

Anyway. Main thing was Equinox. I tried playing through it again recently and just had to turn it off when I got to this dungeon. Just feels like something horrible is gonna happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krb-Eu_LNJE

>> No.1618974

Ok guys, hear me out, this has haunted me for years, it happened when I was about 10.

In Shining Force for genesis, you know that useless fuck Yogurt, right? You meet him in chapter 1 and recruit him in chapter 4. However, in chapter 7, in the first town you begin, the one with the descendants from the ancients, he once appeared too. Standing below the shop, to the right of the headquarters, and to the left of the school/church, I was walking when Max suddenly stopped, and then Yogurt came running, slammed himself into the buildings to the side, then ran offscreen. I've never had it happen again and haven't heard anyone mentioning it, does anyone have any idea about this?

>> No.1619051

>>1618940
Mashing a certain button (don't know which one, but I think the jump button) on certain corners of the map teleports you to certain levels in DKC. On the map you posted that can happen on the corner between level 1 and 2 and the last corner before that croc face. Not sure about that snow level part though.

>> No.1619075

>>1618940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Qmth3RrVE
It's possible. You should look up the tas when you get the chance, it's very impressive.

>> No.1619352

>>1611374
I would support this with a small donation.

>> No.1619613

>>1602858
Majora's Mask is chock full of 'that kid' secrets though, so all of them are slightly believable. One reason why that game is so great...

My cousin always told me that in mario 64, if I flew into the front stain glass window on the castle I would go into a secret star world.

>> No.1619620
File: 70 KB, 640x447, 4764_back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1610974
All I can guess is the shadow temple.

Also, on the back of OoT's box, does anyone know where link is with the skeletons? This has bothered me since I was a child.

>> No.1619698

>>1619620
The Forest Temple, maybe? There are stone rooms where you fight pairs of Stalfos.

>> No.1619743
File: 180 KB, 599x484, 1382235421614.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that awesome feel when you could actually catch Mew in Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow.

>> No.1620093
File: 48 KB, 320x292, 1394343534470.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1619613
Gotta agree with you on that.I really love the internet and the commodity it is nowadays,but having to discuss and hear these crazy theories of things in video games that you don't know were true or not was really cool.
Granted,there still easter eggs of games that weren't found to this day,but most of the stuff you can just google to know and that kinda makes the magic go away.

>> No.1620118

>>1616493
Huh? It was required reading material in my country.

>> No.1620134
File: 104 KB, 900x675, gfs_41786_2_58[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In Beyond The Beyond you can button mash during attacks to increase the frequency of criticals / counters. I was an adult but my friends didn't believe me until arcade sticks with turbo were released and I proved that shit to them.

Also when I was a kid I loved Metroid so much I'd play it over and over again and one time I beat it fast enough that Samus turned into a girl. Nobody believed me then the Justin Bailey code got revealed and they fucking recognized

>> No.1620136

>>1619620
>you will never experience jumping into a game halfway through again

It was really fucking cool to rent like SoM and just see the crazy shit you got in the middle or end of the game.

>> No.1620141
File: 63 KB, 353x344, MMLegendsBox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1620136
Haha, I remember when I first rented Megaman 64, the save file was at the very final part of the game. So I just spent a week exploring the overworld and talked to citizens.

>> No.1620161

>>1620134
I got this in a lot of a bunch of games for an average price of 15 bucks.

I remember playing it as a kid, but holy fuck when I went to test it, the intro is so fucking long and dull.

>> No.1620174

Renting actually fucked me out of playing Crono Trigger for a long while. I had no concept of New Game +, so when I started and it took me right to Lavos from the beginning and I had no idea I was doing something wrong, I just disregarded it and didn't try it again until years later when I learned what I was doing wrong.

>> No.1620192

>>1619620

Looks like a beta screenshot, actually.

>> No.1620336
File: 138 KB, 2050x1538, Karma Forest.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are two chest out in the woods here, one in the lower middle and the other lower right middle.

How do I even?

Also, it's Breath of Fire

>> No.1620346

>>1620336
secret path through the trees

>> No.1620359

>>1618915
The same happened to me, I think it's because I played it on a pirate copy so maybe it was burned like shit

>> No.1620473
File: 23 KB, 280x191, Chopper_Drop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had this odd memory that by landing in a very specific part in the water in this stage, you could unlock an island/underwater level.

Only last year did I find out that the island was from THPS3, and not 2, though I don't remember where the underwater part came from.

>> No.1620674

>>1620118
I guess you're german?

never heard of Kafka until I was a first year political science student in Uni

Whenever I hear his name I think Kefka

>> No.1621269

>>1618864

Wanna have my Mew for you lunch money?

>> No.1621285

I remember when "That Kid" Told me you could obtain a dark link mask in majora's mask that let you turn into dark link.
>Could apparently phase through certain walls revealing treasure.
>Dealed devastating damage like fierce deity.
fuck I was stupid.

>> No.1621289

>>1621285

You can't get a Dark Link mask in MM because you are already Dark Link.

>> No.1621291

>>1621289
>That Kid
Gtfo

>> No.1621434

In Super Mario 3, I randomly combined 2 mushrooms and a star which made me fly up to the top of the screen (but I couldn't get down). Did this happen to anyone else?

>> No.1621592
File: 26 KB, 586x437, 642.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A mclaren F1 would appear in your garage in Gran Turismo 2 buy buying every single car in the game in black.

>> No.1621640

>>1617413

>Also am I the only one who thought there was something on the moon here?

Actually, I remember reading on a magazine when I was a kid that you could find the secret Moon World if you went to vanilla dome 3 (the autoscroll level with lava), reached the end of the level, or the middle of the level, and started flying to the beginning, if you did without touching the ground, you could find the moon world exit. It was so obviously bullshit, but I still tried it as a kid.

>> No.1621739

>>1621592
>some cars don't come in black

>> No.1621793

>>1619620
The skeleton dudes are in the Shadow Temple, they fight nearly identically to the wolf dudes that you come across in the Forest Temple which is probably why the other fellow mentioned that. I don't recall the skeletons being in the Forest Temple but they might be. I am certain they are in the Shadow Temple though.

>> No.1621796

>>1611434
The final battle is different based on the level of your party, so it is possible that you could have done it, especially since you said it took you over an hour.

>> No.1621820

>>1618915
Sounds like creepypasta!

>> No.1621858

Sort of a "that kid" moment.

>wonder if you can jump through that picture of peach's head in the castle above the entrance with the invisible cap on
>have gameshark
>turn on the invisible hat code and the "press L to levitate" code
>doesn't work
>fuck
>try the same in the haunted mansion with the boo picture above the entrance because one of the levels you can actually pass through a picture of a boo in the attic
>still doesn't work

Fuck. They had so much potential for easter eggs too...

>> No.1621939

Had a friend who said you could get mario to do a handstand on the flagpole if you hit it right. Same kid told me all sorts of shit that I instantly brain-drained due to it being absolute bullshit. I wish that I remembered some of it.

>> No.1622036

>>1621793
Something that also bothers me is the Key symbol on the bottom of the screen, which usually implies a minigame or something. It could possibly be >>1620192

>> No.1622101

>>1611659
interesting i fell into that room so much that i never knew it's nature as random. i assumed as a kid it was a thing based on my rupee's or heart levels as a kid.

>> No.1622303

>>1620118
>Huh? It was required reading material in my country.
...in second grade?

>> No.1622323

>>1621640
>Actually, I remember reading on a magazine when I was a kid that you could find the secret Moon World if you went to vanilla dome 3 (the autoscroll level with lava), reached the end of the level, or the middle of the level, and started flying to the beginning, if you did without touching the ground, you could find the moon world exit. It was so obviously bullshit, but I still tried it as a kid.
Is Vanilla Dome the place inside the hill? Because there totally is a moon in one of it's levels if you flying toward the beginning from the middle.
It's not a level, it's just an item. It gives you three one-ups.
There are a couple other ones in SMW, too, but there all in obscure places you'd never normally want to get to.

>> No.1622662

>>1601526
A long time before Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, I remember going to the viridian forest in pokemon yellow, after I filled the pokedex, and mew appeared at the first tree. I chased him through the grass until I cornered him, and then I battled and caught him.

My friend told me about this a while before then. When I did get pokemon firered, I wasn't that into it, because it sucked, so I didn't find out until gen 4 that there was an event that took you to an island to catch mew.

I wish I still had my yellow

>> No.1622663

That kid once told me that if you collected all the stars in Mario 64, talked to yoshi on the castle roof, and jumped on his back before he ran off he would take you to a 3D version of yoshi's island. Naturally I was a tad bit upset after I finally managed to collect all the stars.

>> No.1623653

>>1601526
The same for me OP, after growing up I checked on the cutting room floor and saw that it was impossible. After reflexion I now know that I mislead it with Super Mario Land 2 on GB which has an hidden island in the south west section, as in SMW

Sorry for my english, it's not even my own language!

>> No.1623969

I remember some kid telling me that you could find scuba gear in Banjo-Kazooie, so that you could dive for an unlimited amount of time. If I remember correctly, he told me it was somewhere in the tall grass near the entrance of Click Clock Wood.

>> No.1624156

I remember I was playing final fantasy tactics and having the game suddenly glitch out on me during the rats nest fight in chapter 2 (I think that's the chapter).

Anyway after waiting a couple of minutes after it froze I decided to reset my PlayStation. Lo and behold after the reset my whole roster had all skills and classes mastered. I wish I still had that memory card but I remember being stoked. Sadly I've never been able to redo the glitch.

>> No.1624624

>>1623653
OP here,english isn't my first language either.Maybe that has something to do with it?
But again,[SMW was also my first game ever and i recall finding this hidden island on my friend's copy of the game.

>> No.1624676

>>1616170
Most people didn't read instruction manuals. Some even just threw it away as soon as they got the game.