[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 400x400, stgg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1589445 No.1589445 [Reply] [Original]

What are you scoring in, /vr/troopers?

>> No.1589458 [DELETED] 

>general
>>>/vg/

>> No.1589461 [DELETED] 

>general
>>>/vg/

>> No.1589467

combo breaker

>> No.1589494 [SPOILER] 
File: 57 KB, 290x500, 1398994049647.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

soon to be the Soldier Collection on PSP

>> No.1589519 [DELETED] 

Can you guys please take these threads to >>>/vg/? I'm sure there are plenty of good retro shmups to discuss, but it would be much more productive to start threads here for *specific* series you want to talk about, like Gradius or Star Soldier. These general threads aren't actually doing anyone any justice because they end up a jumbled mess of random conversation with no specific direction.

>> No.1589540

post ur doodoopoo scores

>> No.1589549
File: 99 KB, 750x650, ask_cyberia_heart___q02_by_jdan_s-d5xoc9x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1589540

>> No.1589554 [DELETED] 

>>1589519
I agree with this. "General" threads are getting out of hand here, just like they did on /v/ before /vg/ was made.

>> No.1589575 [DELETED] 

>>1589554
And guess what, taking away generals on /v/ made /v/ become even more shit and /b/-like.

>> No.1589581 [DELETED] 

>>1589575
Uhh, no? Getting the general shit off it improved the board substantially. Then we got better moderation cracking down on /b/ shit not long after. /vg/ wasn't made to deal with /b/ shit, that's a mutually exclusive problem. Things have improved anon, don't be so cynical.

>> No.1589893 [DELETED] 

>>1589519
Don't rike it? Hide the thread then, instead of shitposting here about it.

>> No.1589902

How do I into Truxton? I've had the ROM of it for quite some time now and whenever I play it I just get wrecked. Genesis or Arcade. Even worse in the Arcade. My huge ass ship just seems to fly itself right into the first bullet I see.

>> No.1589907 [DELETED] 

>>1589893
>constructive suggestion about how to organize these discussions

*That* was shitposting? Are you people for real?

>> No.1589943

Any of you ever played Recca on the Famicom? Holy shit, it's fucking amazing. I had no idea the Famicom was capable of such an intense SHMUP.

>> No.1589950

>>1589907
"Shitposting" is now the go-to buzzword for demonizing every little bit of criticism you don't agree with.

>> No.1589989

>>1589893
>Hey guys I know there's a board specifically designed for /videogame topic general/ threads, but instead of posting there, I'd like to post here for no legitimate reason. What's that? Someone politely and respectfully suggested I use the board designed for my thread? FUCK THAT. FUCK THEM. THEY SHOULD JUST IGNORE ME IF THEY DON'T LIKE IT.
Does your mom know you're up this late?

This is the equivalent of going on /g/ and asking "Hey guys, what are some of your favorite cupcake recipes?"
and getting pissed when they tell you to go ask /ck/.

Fuck off.

>> No.1590198

>other thread got deleted only because it had the word "general" on the subject field

God fuck man.
It was the exact same thread with a new op picture.

>> No.1590216 [DELETED] 
File: 1.22 MB, 1536x1370, look at those sweet tits nigger like goddamn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This game is casual as fuck but it's pretty fun. I wish they made a sequel on the DS so they could have improved the on-foot controls with the touchscreen but it wasn't meant to be. Wayforward was too busy being "pandering: the studio" at the time to revisit this interesting title and the sexy purple space chick therein.

>> No.1591094

When will M2 make another shmup?

>> No.1591115

>>1589943
Just watched a video of it, and I must say that the intensity level is impressive, especially for an NES game. However, none of the enemies posed much of a threat to the player, so it looked kind of shit to me. Poorly designed chaos.

>> No.1591129

>>1591115

Recca is a pretty intense game, but it feels pretty odd compared to more modern STG standards.

It came about during a time when companies were just getting enough hardware power to transcend the limitations of 80's hardware and were experimenting with all sorts of different gameplay types. While Raiden did end up being the most influential game of that period, Recca foreshadows a bunch of Yagawa-isms that would show up in his later works.

>> No.1591165

>>1589989
/jp/ has a shmup general too. Wanna know why? Because "general threads" aren't exclusive to /vg/. Now kindly fuck off and quit threadshitting already. If consolidating retro shmup posts into one thread bothers you so much, go email moot about it instead of pointlessly whining in here, you big fucking baby.

>> No.1591194 [DELETED] 
File: 1.22 MB, 1536x1370, sigma star saga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>post about a casual, fun space shooter/adventure game from the mid 2000s in a space shooter thread in /vr/
>post gets deleted for no apparent reason

le epic redditfag moderators ftw :^)

>> No.1591215
File: 62 KB, 384x256, xm.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing a bit of X-Multiply on my Saturn, imported it recently from Japan.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xmultiply/xmultiply.htm

>> No.1591254

>>1591165
>/jp/
>shmup general

dont they just talk about touhou constantly

>> No.1591415

Just bought a lt mod 360 for 50 dollarydoos so pretty soon I'll be hitting some of the modern ones, but since this is /vr/, mostly Dodonpachi and Radiant Silvergun. Thinking about burning myself Bastugun after playing it the other day, and Battle Garrega. Is BG really leaning that far towards unfair, or do a lot of people that do retro reviews just suck that badly?

>> No.1591431

>>1591415
Battle Garegga isn't even hard. Some retards hear about it and decide they don't like it without understanding it.

>> No.1591435

>>1591165
Those /jp/ threads belong on /vg/ too.

>> No.1591437

>>1591431
Ignore this braggard, Battle Garegga is most definitely a tough game to beat. I say this having beaten many other Raizing games and close to beating Dimahoo now too.

>> No.1591520

>>1591431
Okay now I know you're just bullshitting just from watching the gameplay.

>>1591437
Cool, I mean I like a good challenge, but I also don't like when something tries to be unfair for the novelty of being considered hard. Things like tiny grey missles on a grey background etcetera

>> No.1591537

>>1591520
Well... I think you get used to the beige colors eventually so that stops being a problem. What's really unfair about Garegga is the hidden adaptive difficulty mechanics. Expecting anyone back in the arcades to figure those out without spending a fortune is just absurd, and you absolutely need to understand them on some level to beat the game. Thankfully we have the internet now and knowledge on its inner workings is easily accessible. So it's not quite that unfair anymore if you just do a little reading.

But none of those are really what makes it tough in my opinion. I know how the game operates just fine and I still have a lot of trouble getting to the later stages in it compared to most of Raizing's other shooters. You really have to plan out when you die in Garegga and play somewhat perfectly according to your plan on how you're going to use bombs and where as well. Even small mistakes can bite you in the ass hard.

>> No.1591615

>>1591537
Ahh I just read up on that after reading your post. Does sound kinda like a lame system. I'll probably put off really trying to get into it until I put some quality time in with Batsugun. Can't believe that I hadn't played it before until the other day. Does it stay awesome the whole time or does it taper off? I only played a few credits. The Saturn is treating me well right now.

>> No.1592216

>>1591431
>>1591615
Called it I'm fucking Nostradamus.

>> No.1592259
File: 60 KB, 224x320, 0001 (2).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1592216

Nostradamus you say?

>> No.1592304

>>1592216
Called what? I never said I didn't like it, skippy, but the adaptive difficulty system is a big enough flag for me to play it after Batsugun which has no down sides to me right now. This isn't /v/, someone can find a single fault with something and not immediately despise it.

>> No.1592314 [DELETED] 

>>1591537
>You really have to plan out when you die in Garegga and play somewhat perfectly according to your plan on how you're going to use bombs and where as well. Even small mistakes can bite you in the ass hard.
It's no wonder you have a hard time making it to later stages when you're employing super play techniques in your run.

>> No.1592346

Garegga is really hard. First of all, don't be a faggot and make sure your MAME rom is set to JP region. That is the setting that everyone plays, and it gives extends every 1m points.

Second, the rank system in Garegga is really imposing sounding but it's not going to matter that much if you're doing a normal playthrough. Alot of the strategic suicide that you hear about is bomb management for score maximizing. While Garegga does get super angry at maximum rank, that's kind of hard to pull off in a normal run.

Third, Garegga is just a ton of fun. It's the kind of game that throws something new at you around every corner, and it has tons and tons of secrets and hidden stuff to find. For a shmup, the pacing is great and the intensity never lets up. Don't let the misinformation of a few people regarding the rank system deprive you of this fantastic game. Sink time into it, enjoy the awesome music and don't forget to bomb the flamengos.

>> No.1592376

>>1592346
I'm definitely going to be spending time with it, really I was just asking for info to help me decide what to pick up first. Adaptive difficulty is a strange beast, and I'm always cautious with games that have it. Done well you can have something special like Godhand, but done poorly you just punish player improvement.

>> No.1592485

I bought Einhander a while back at Valuevillage for like 3 bucks. Played it a few times but thinking of going back to it after seeing this thread.

Anyone else play it? Is it top tier shootemup?

>> No.1592821

>>1589445
Are there any fun shmups with a good difficulty balance? I've played some recently that I didn't really like.

>Someone said R-Type Leo was easy, and for the first two stages it was, no miss first time playing. 3rd stage was a bit challenging, and then stage 4 thereafter the game went full retard. I've never played an R-Type game before this and certainly hope they're not all like this.

>I also payed DoDonPachi, and stopped playing after I realized it was all recycled content with more bullets...which wasn't necessarily hard, and it was a bit boring and dull. I have no clue why my friends recommend this one so much.

>Darius Gaiden is just ridiculous, and being restricted to two credits didn't make it any better for me.

I guess I'm looking for something where the difficulty is not only at a good balance, but the design gives you new stuff and is just smart and fun. I really like Battle Garegga and Gradius Gaiden so far. Even though Gradius Gaiden was hard, I felt that it was kind of fair with the difficulty and amped it up not with just "MORE BULLETS!", but a new twist in the obstacles that were just genius, and that final stage put it all together and was really intense.

>> No.1592825

>>1592346
Is that the only difference with setting it to the JP region?

>> No.1592849

>>1592825
The European setting doesn't have available the extra ship/1,000,000 points option. You have to be on JP region setting to set the point value that low.

>>1592346
Don't give anyone the wrong ideas here. If you ignore the adaptive difficulty system in Garegga you simply will not win period. Strategically killing yourself is essential for preventing things from getting too difficult.

>> No.1593000

>>1592849
Here we go. Not killing yourself is not the same thing as ignoring rank. Don't hog powerups or shoot when there's nothing to shoot and it will stay manageable, no suicide required.

>> No.1593235

>>1592821
>DDP is recycled content
Thems fighting words broski

>> No.1593474

>>1593000
>no suicide required.
You have no clue what you're talking about.

>> No.1593571

Why aren't you speedrunning shmups for charity, /vr/?

https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/awesome_shmups_marathon.html

>> No.1594006

>>1592821
You are the biggest fuckin pleb lol

>> No.1594109

>>1592821
Sounds like you would love Touhou, which is designed for casual play.

>> No.1594121

>>1594109
Yo, this is bait AND non retro.

>> No.1594137 [DELETED] 
File: 357 KB, 1280x768, cc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck whether it's retro or not, its some shmup news that should get anyone interested super hyped.

PC port of the Nesica version of Crimson Clover announced at stunfest. Supposedly in english and digitally distributed.

>> No.1594141

>>1594137
>pc port
Wasn't that nesica thing a pc port in the first place? What are the differences? Also this post will get deleted.

>> No.1594196

>>1594137
I wish Nesica games were possible to run like Type X ones before.

I want to play the new rebalanced Gouketsuji game. First time they bothered rebalancing it ever since Matrimelee came out.

>> No.1594209

>>1594141

Sort of; it's arcade-specific PC hardware mostly fused to a weird digital distribution system.

>New modes (Break-mode), new ships, achievements, updated graphics, online leaderboards, tate/yoko support, new enemies, updated patterns, break mode has half the invincibility time, etc...

So it's a pretty big improvement, definitely a big deal.

>> No.1594214

Can't wait for that Crimzon Clover version.

Talking about it, there is an english patch for CC? Can't find it.

>> No.1594219

>>1594121
Actually, there are retro Touhou games.

>> No.1594248

>>1594219
That's fucking obvious, isn't it?
I know the guy was referring to bomb spamming in post windows era specially after MoF, because that's the main argument for people bashing 2ho.
Bombless Lunatic UFO run is far from casual, I don't care what anyone says.

>> No.1594259

>>1594248
bombless UFO is fucking casual compared to looping any shmup more than once m8

>> No.1594279

>>1594259
I agree, just call it entry level or some shit, but casual is weak b8.

>> No.1594620

Where should a beginner start with Shmups?

>> No.1594654

>>1594620

Lots of good places to start, but any of the more popular games by companies like Cave, Takumi, Raizing, Treasure, Psikyo and Irem are all wonderful places to start experimenting.

It's less about starting with a specific game in mind, and more about playing across the genre until you find a game that really clicks with you enough to want to start trying to 1cc it.

>> No.1594662

>>1594620
retro shmups are actually good places to start to get into the genre.

The best retro shooters are the Genesis, imo. So a Wii VC or genesis, or Kega Fusion are all good ways in.

I'd recommend Thunder Force III to get started as sort of "the" shooter. Great music, great levels, great weapons to use - it really has it all. If you find yourself digging that, try Thunder Force IV (aka Lightening Force in the USA) some time later.

Forgotten Worlds and Phelios are also good shmups to play and get into - very simple, they have nice atmopshere, and provide a decent enough challenge.

>> No.1594680

>>1594620
It's not retro (and I don't give a shit), but I'd recommend DoDonPachi Resurrection. It was my first shmup and my first 1cc. I really like the music and the hyper mechanic is lots of fun to use.

>> No.1594868

so is it true that you guys hate Einhander

>> No.1594903

>>1594868
I think that's shmups forum.

>> No.1594915

>>1594868
It's a pretty bland Thunderforce clone. Also, I hated having ammo for the weapons.

>> No.1594976

>>1594915
>thunderforce clone
I don't see it, if anything the hand is closer to the capture balls from G-Darius.

>> No.1595059

>>1594006
Haha, okay. Would have been more useful if you'd explain your comment.

>>1593235
I'm pretty sure I saw the same enemies and same music, etc. only after the third or fourth stage being reused. I don't know what else to call that other than "recycled". Sorry...

>>1594109
Touhou looks like it suffers from the same problem DoDonPachi did. I don't want "find the path to this pattern" or "MOAR BULLETS". I want
something more method-like, I don't know how to explain it. Gradius Gaiden is the best example I can come up with. It wasn't just more bullets, it was the stages working against you as well, and there were new enemies introduced in each one that seemed to compliment them well while offering unique challenges. It didn't feel cheap or repetitive at all.

I'm going to try R-Type Delta and see how that goes.

>> No.1595068

>>1595059
Sounds like you don't like vertical shmups, because they all play like this.
Guwange and Mahou Grand Prix (whatever the japanese name was) are horizontal with level design, you should try these out.

>> No.1595114

>>1595068
I'll check these out. Thanks.

>> No.1595125

>>1595059
Based on your description there, I'd say try the other R-Type games as well. They're more about environmental hazards and learning the stages, though I can't comment on Leo since I haven't played it much.

The other Gradius games would seem good, too. I'd say V is also up your alley, but it's not retro yet.

>> No.1595184

>>1595059
Oh come on, there's like 2 stages that have the same music, and there are different enemies introduced with different shot patterns in every stage. Yeah they're all mecha, tanks, and aircraft, but that's the art style of the series. I mean it's cool that you don't like it, but come on, don't just make shit up and pretend it is some lazily slapped together game or some shit

>> No.1595212

>>1595184
>they're all mecha, tanks, and aircraft
That and the color palettes they used gave me the impression most of them were the same thing. Not only was it the same music for some particular stages, but nothing much seemed to change between the styles of the music when progressing from one stage to the next. On top of that, I thought the music was "eh". It gets the adrenaline going and nothing more. If that's all it was meant to do, then fine.

>don't just make shit up and pretend it is some lazily slapped together game or some shit

I don't have an agenda to slander DDD. I'm just giving my thoughts on it.

>> No.1595219

>>1595212
That's fine but you should be more clear and honest when you do since someone could read stuff like that and decide to not try a game that they could have loved thinking theres like 4 enemies over and over with one music track looping the entire time. But like another poster said, it sounds like vertical isn't your cup of tea. You're going to find a lot more obstacle based stuff in horizontal shooters. If you have a genesis or you emulate it I think you should try out Gaiares. And if you have a Dreamcast a good newer one like that is Dux.

>> No.1595235
File: 77 KB, 426x600, 1395888156536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1595212
Prood you need to try this game by the way. Can't argue with this guy.

>> No.1595253

>>1595219
I guess so. Garrega is the only one I've gone back to multiple times. Most of the other ones I can't get into. I do like how fast-paced verticals tend to be though. Maybe I'll appreciate them more after playing more of them.

>>1595235
>Jamie Bunker professional gamer
What?

>>1595125
I saw a copy of Gradius V at a store nearby for $20 but didn't know much about Gradius at the time. If it's still there I'll get it; no one buys much from that shop so it probably is.

>> No.1595483

>>1595235
EGM's very own.

>> No.1595486

>>1594868
Fuck no, Einhander is amazing.

>> No.1597038

Someone post a link to that mame shmup pack that used to float around. I have a new install and want it. This really should be in the OP post.

>> No.1597042

>>1597038

it's pretty outdated but here u go br0

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz0227tzb9zor

>> No.1597335

Anyone else a big geek for Compile games?

>> No.1597489
File: 675 KB, 200x150, 1388975226178.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597335
No.

>> No.1597550

>>1597489
Do you have the one where Mario looks to the side, disgusted, while the screen darkens?

>> No.1598725

>>1597335
I like them more when they became Raizing.

>> No.1599734

>>1589445
>STG
WTF? Shoo Ting Game?

>> No.1599739

>>1589445
Do you call Platformers "PFM" aswell?

>> No.1599752

>>1599739
Yes we do.

>> No.1599760
File: 2.09 MB, 200x150, 1389976142796.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1597550

Not that guy, but...

>> No.1599768

>>1594868
that's one I still need to pick up. I'm waiting to find a nice $40 copy, lol.

That and the Raiden Project.
===

Every now and then I come back to RayStorm, trying to make it past level 3 or 4 on 1 credit. Most of the time I think the deaths come from not properly ascertaining what objects are coming at me.

Though RayStorm and RayCrisis have problems with their tilted perspectives, I find the games very likable, and easy to get in to (well maybe RayCrisis is somewhat more abstract). The Tamayo Kawamoto soundtrack keeps you jiving in the atmosphere as well.

>> No.1600421

>>1599734
What's wrong with that?

RPG means Roh-Puraying Geemu, STG can be Shu-Tingu Geemu.

>> No.1600517

>>1600421
But it's English and it's Role-Playing Game. You can't say Shoo-Ting Game.

>> No.1600613

>>1600517
Well, I'm just explaining it and putting it in the perspective of Japanese people, who of course refined the STG genre. You have to split up an acronym based on the Japanese vocabulary (there is no "shoot", so they split it up into Shu and Ting for easier pronunciation, hence S-T-G was born). At least we can all agree that STG sounds a hell of a lot better than shmup and is less ambiguous than "shooter".

>> No.1600762

>>1600421
It's a retarded mutilation of the English language, and hilariously the country where it actually is used regularly they refer to games like Doom and Halo as them too.

>> No.1600765

>>1600613
>At least we can all agree that STG sounds a hell of a lot better than shmup and is less ambiguous than "shooter".
Afraid not, no. Shmup has roots in actual English and "shooter" is no less ambiguous.

>> No.1600770

Spaceship shooter.

because if your "ship" is a little girl your game is some weeaboo faggot shit

>> No.1600783

>>1600765
Shooter could imply anything. Third-person shooter, first-person shooter, autoscrolling shooter, fixed shooter...

Also, shmup does sound retarded. Don't kid yourself.

STG's here to stay, baybee.

>> No.1600791

>>1600783
shmup might sound retarded but its clear as fucking day to what the person is talking about.

>> No.1600997

In Heaven with you

>> No.1601131
File: 224 KB, 640x480, 20140506_061051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soldier Blade TG-16.
Havn't done the 5min mode for this run.

>> No.1601615
File: 2.53 MB, 386x247, 1387573891218.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So is there a starter guide or something for shoot-em-ups? I remember playing a couple and enjoying them, but I have no idea where to go to get into them deeply or anything.

>> No.1601624

Toaplan master race

>> No.1601630

>>1601615
Play my favorite game doodoopoo - every shmup fag ever answering your question 2014

>> No.1601635

Bullet Hell style shooters are inherently crappy compared to traditional style ones. I never feel that it is the game's fault when I die in a proper shooter, but it is almost always bullshit in a bullet hell. The entire concept of most of your ship (or uguu kawaii school girl, as is more likely the case) being nothing and only a tiny dot being "you" is retarded, too.

>> No.1601646

>>1600613
STG makes me think of strategy games rather than shooting games.

>> No.1601658

>>1600613
Quake is a shooting game, does that make it STG?

>> No.1602001

>>1601635
I like both types. In games with small hitboxes it usually makes sense to me that the bullets are passing over/under the wings. Not that I think it needs explaining to enjoy playing them

>> No.1602168

>>1602001

It doesn't, that faggots just sucks ass at video games

>> No.1602184

>>1601624
wording this

>> No.1602190

>>1593571
>2hu and cave
no thx

>> No.1602354

>>1601615
>>1601630

this but unironically. play dodonpachi

>> No.1602438

>>1601615
play dangun feveron (a discotheque-disguised deconstruction of the shooting genre)
or donpachi (the original, not the less impressive sequels)

>> No.1602579
File: 104 KB, 810x1080, Cyvern_-_1998_-_Kaneko.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Play Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou, Dodonpachi Daiffukatsu, Dodonpatchi Saidaioujou, Parodius, Sexy Parodius, Parodius Da!, Gradius, Graidus 2, Gradius 3, Gradius 4, Gradius V, Darius, Truxton, Twin Cobra, Mushihimesama Futari, Touhou, Ikaruga, Jamestown, Cyvern, Raiden, Raiden II, Raiden DX, Raiden Fighters Aces, Guwange, Strikers 1945, Strikers 1945 II, Strikers 1999, Gunbird 2, Psyvarier, Battle Garegga, Daimahoo, Gaires, Axelay, Ketsui, Mars Matrix, Giga Wing 1 and 2, Espgaluda, EspDaRe, Battle Bakraid, Armed Police Batrider, R-Type, R-Type II, R-Type Leo, R-Type Delta, Einhander, Darius II, Darius Gaiden, UN Squadron, Radiant Silvergun, Trouble Witches Neo, Cotton 100%, Musha, Thunder Force 3, Thunder Force IV, Thunder Force V, Eliminate Down, Gynoug, Greylancer, Zero Wing, Viewpoint, Image Fight, Lords of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Salamander, Life Force, Muchi Muchi Pork, Pink Sweets, Ibara, Dangun Feveron, Mushihimesama, Zanac, Zanac Neo, Aleste, Powerstrike II, Tyrian, Ginga Force, Eschatos, Exceed, Crimson Clover, Aero Chimera, Kaikan, Cotton 2, Recca, Blazing Star, Batsugun, Fire Shark, Dogyuun, Rayforce, Radrigy, Castle of Shikigami, Cho Aniki, Silpheed, Akai Katana, Dragon Blaze, Air Gallet, Metal Black and Progear.

>> No.1602903

>>1602579
You missed the best shmup of all time, Scramble Spirits.

>> No.1602916

>>1592346
Is Garegga the one with the almost invisible bullets or is that Batrider? I forget

>> No.1602921

>>1602916
That's Garegga.

>> No.1602930

>>1602916

Just played Garegga and the fucking bullets are barely visible. The game feels solid but the gameplay isn't nothing great.

inb4 retards saying "git gud XD"

>> No.1602950

>>1602579
no blazing lazers?

>> No.1603007

top 10 /vr/ shooters that we voted on in 2013:

#10: Sengoku Ace
#9: Mahou Daisakusen
#8: Dragon Blaze
#7: Battle Bakraid
#6: Strikers 1999
#5: Dimahoo
#4: Gunbird 2
#3: Armed Police Batrider
#2: Strikers 1945 II
#1: Battle Garegga

>> No.1603027

>>1602930
git gud XD

Kidding. I respect you for not yet knowing you love Battle Garegga on an impression level rather than trying to rationalize your wrongness through critique, which the game is above.

>> No.1603051

>>1603007
When the fuck did it become cool to like Raizing?

>> No.1603067

>>1603051
because its cool to hate on cave now.

>> No.1603084

>>1603007
>Nothing but Raizing and Psikyo
Broaden your tastes a little, people. They aren't the only developers around.

>>1603067
Hate on Cave as much as your want, but there's gotta be at least one Dodonpachi game in every list.

>> No.1603103

>>1603084
Exactly I like cave myself but I think that the hate is probably just backlash from the constant circle jerking of cave people are used to. I agree with your first statement too. It would be nice to see some older ones on there.

>> No.1603162
File: 27 KB, 240x320, Battle Garegga 11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man, I'm sick of people shit talking Battle Garegga when they haven't even properly played it.

You don't even have to become proficient at it, just play enough to clear the first 2 or 3 stages on a credit, understand the medal system and find some secrets. There are reasons why it keeps on showing up on "BEST SHMUP EVER" lists up to this day even though it was released in 1996 -- it simply is that fucking good.

>> No.1603614

>>1603162
>There are reasons why it keeps on showing up on "BEST SHMUP EVER"

Because of soundtrack plagiarism?

>> No.1603617

>>1603614
BG was before Namiki started ripping off other music, though.

>> No.1603708

What's so great about Battle Garegga and why is DoDonPachi bad now

>> No.1603717

>>1603708

Contrarianism.

>> No.1603718

>>1601615
Dodonpachhi, Dodonpachi Resurrection Novice Mode, Bullet Soul, Truxton, R Type, Gradius.

>> No.1603720

>>1601635
There is always an escape, you just suck at keeping your cool and corner yourself or fly right into a bullet in panic. Git Gud.

>> No.1603723

>>1603162
And I'm sick of people pretending that it is above criticism. Some people just do not enjoy the things you like anon, get over it and play your damn game.

>> No.1603725

>>1603708
Trends and hipster contrarianism respectively.

>> No.1603736

>>1603617

Underwater Rampart stage music is almost a 1:1 copy of Jupiter Jazz by Underground Resistance

Not that I'm complaining though, it's awesome

>> No.1603737

>>1603708

>What's so great about Battle Garegga

Creative scoring system, awesome dieselpunk setting and soundtrack

>why is DoDonPachi bad now

Chaining

>> No.1603825

wow guys, maybe they're both pretty good and you shouldn't fall over yourselves to bifurcate this already tiny niche. the cave contrarianism going on here is ridiculous, i don't think they're god's gift to gaming either but to say they're shit is really pushing it

>> No.1603868

>>1603723
Being above criticism doesn't mean you must like it, only that you cannot criticize it.

>> No.1604460

>>1603007
I never voted on that.

>> No.1604464

>>1603162
Garegga had some nice ideas and good atmosphere but honestly I think the game is pretty flawed on a fundamental level. The adaptive difficulty system is simply -too- brutal and absurd to expect anyone to figure out (which they must if they ever want to beat it) without months or years of experimentation and wasted quarters. If you want Yagawa's ultimate game from the '90s it would have to be Batrider; it fixes nearly everything wrong with Garegga and has even more depth.

>> No.1604494

>>1603868
So stop getting your cunt in a knot when people criticize it. That simple. Personally I enjoy both, but the invisibullets and adaptive difficulty system are things that I understand some people not liking much. Regardless of whether or not you or I deem their playtime worthy.

>> No.1604496

>>1603825
While your wording sets my autism off in an insane way, I agree with this. I'm tired of seeing this shit lately. Both are great get over it people.

>> No.1604509

>>1604494
You seem to be suffering from retardation, which explains your dislike for BG. You are allowed to dislike it without criticizing it. "I don't like adaptive difficulty" is not criticism.

>> No.1604514

>>1604509
What about "it's unfair and obscure as hell" ?

>> No.1604520

>>1604509
>I like both
>WAHHH YOURE RETARDED THATS WHY YOU DONT LIKE IT
Holy shit, fanboy harder. And the adaptive difficulty system is a very valid criticism because to some people it feels more like a punishmeny for doing well than it does like a way to keep things varied and engaging. Just like chaining can be used as a criticism towards DDP for someone that doesn't like chaining being a main scoring system. It is subjectivity. Nothing is perfect or above criticism.

>> No.1604539

Which community is more toxic, shooter fans or fightan game fans?

>> No.1604542

>>1604539
fightan, definitely

>> No.1604557

>>1604539
Honestly both communities are fine, but each has a small percentage of grognards that misrepresent them with their assholish elitism and fanboyism. In the fgc it's typically Capcom fanboys and theorycrafters, and in the stg community it's the "x game is above criticism" and the armchair experts that act as though they can 1cc everything with their eyes closed yet never show anyone thier high scores. Other than that the stg community is cool about suggestions and scoring help, and the fgc is good at lovingly smashing you until you git gud and helping you out with combos.

>> No.1604578 [DELETED] 

>>1604539
both, as well as speedrunning
they are all meme-spouting faggots

>> No.1604581

>>1604557
Just seems whenever I try to discuss shooters on this board there's some furious expert there to angrily rant about how I'm wrong.

>> No.1604582

My favorite shootan gaem is Robotron

>> No.1604816

>>1604581
Yeah, 4chan attracts those types. Since about 2008 or so people that took the whole internet hate machine thing seriously have made the site their very own cesspool of retardation and shitposting.

>> No.1605132

>>1604520

"The adaptive difficulty system" is not criticism, it is a sentence fragment. "It feels more like..." is not criticism, it is a statement about yourself. To criticize BG you would have to make it the subject of your criticism; referring back to yourself won't cut it.

>> No.1605292

>>1602930
try the Version 2 of it, it has better visible bullets

don't get angry guys, I have shittastical eyesight so it's just fair I play that version

>> No.1605456

>>1605132
The adaptive difficulty system is a feature of the game. One that many consider counterproductive. Cry more fanbabby.

>> No.1605507

>>1605456
Wow the well known fact that Battle Garegga haters are morons doesn't need evidence but you just keep piling it up anyway. You can consider it anything you like and as a matter of fact I also consider it counterproductive. While I'm considering things I will consider your continued inability to criticize the game as admission that it is above criticism.

>> No.1605921

On the adaptive difficulty of Garegga: Tons of misinformation about this; the game can raise rank rather fast, but generally getting killed will bring it down to manageable levels. The game (at least the JP version on default settings) will hand out extends very frequently, so it does balance out quite well. Scoring and survival are integrated very deeply in Garegga, and I think it actually works to the games advantage. Garegga is not a beginners game; it demands a very high skill level to complete. The adaptive difficulty is part of the core of it's risk/reward gameplay.

>> No.1606090

>>1605507
He wasn't being a hater until you sperged out, see he said he liked both >>1604494. I'm not that guy you are flaming but you are one ignorant asshole. I just tried it for the first time and I did think the bullets were damn hard to see. I don't think emulation does games justice mame has weird graphical glitches sometimes and I will never be able to afford the saturn version :( I do think the hard to see bullets is a legit complaint though. I don't have any opinion on it but I can see why some may not like it.

>>1603737
Chaining is fun you fuckin prick it sets it apart from other games. I seriously think there are a lot of contrarians in this thread lashing out against cave just because of how hype they are. I know that is regular for 4chan but just because cave games are popular doesn't mean you have to hate on them :(.

I bet the contrarians start hating on raizing down the road

>> No.1606414

>>1606090
I'm the guy he is sperging out on, and I have to say, I really think you should look into a mod chip for your Saturn. BG has always been much more fun to me on the Saturn with that glorious controller while sprawled out in a lazyboy. Also, you can save money on other awesome but expensive shmups like Radiant Silvergun. I don't know what I would do without my mod chip at least. Plus it helps future proof you a bit from possible disc rot if any of your copies fall victim to it.

And totally agree on the contrarianism, it is a complete pain lately. These threads used to be so civil. I give it a couple of weeks until they turn on Raizing too. I just wish people would get that almost all of these games that we still talk about are entirely worth playing and are all great in their own right. Their differences is what keeps the genre fresh, and I mean come on, we are talking about some of these 2 to 3 decades after they released. You don't see mediocrity get that treatment. Same goes for accepting that nothing is perfect no mattee how much we may like it.

>> No.1606506

>>1604539
Dota

>> No.1606523

>>1606090
Chaining can be fun when it's done right. Battle Garegga's medal chaining, quick shot chaining in Raiden Fighters Jet, retaining level-long bullet absorption chains in Chaos Field, etc. Chaining in Dodonpachi though is just plain garbage. It is far too strict and boils down the scoring system to an extreme level of memorization involving frustrating restarts whenever you get even the slightest thing wrong.

>> No.1606719
File: 14 KB, 320x224, MARSMATRIX.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1606523

>Chaining in DDP/Mars Matrix/Ikaruga/Radiant Silvergun though is just plain garbage. It is far too strict and boils down the scoring system to an extreme level of memorization involving frustrating restarts whenever you get even the slightest thing wrong.

I feel like one of these mechanics just isn't for you. Highly skilled chaining systems that demand alot from the player might be one of them.

Also, here is a helpful general rule of thumb when talking about scoring: Don't bitch about it unless you can actually clear the game in question.

>> No.1606720

>>1606523

DDP's chaining is pretty unforgiving but it's not so bad in the sequels

>> No.1606748
File: 32 KB, 493x402, 635.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>chaining in DDP on PS1

>> No.1606756
File: 159 KB, 640x568, penis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I haven't played much shmups, but I played enough to know that I'm fairly biased towards Radiant Silvergun's weapon system. SEVEN FUCKING DIFFERENT WEAPONS ON SEVEN FUCKING BUTTONS HOLY SHIT. I'm wondering if there are any other shmups like that, most are either 2 weapons at best and you have to use a switch button instead of assigning a weapon to a different button.
Anyways, just wondering if you guys can recommend me something like that.

>> No.1606827

>>1606756

Alltynex the Second has 4 different weapons and the scoring system is based on their use, I love it

>> No.1606863

>>1606719
>Don't bitch about it unless you can actually clear the game in question.
Well I've got good news for you then faggot. Take your credibility-biased bullshit back to that cesspool on system11. I am dying to comprehend why the fuck you would presume I am bad at the game.

I am also quite good at Mars Matrix, and its chaining system isn't nearly as unforgiving as Dodonpachi's. This is very simply why it's enjoyable to score in while Dodonpachi isn't.

>> No.1606868

>>1606756
>ON SEVEN FUCKING BUTTONS
Not really.

>> No.1606874

>>1606863
But... BUT I'm getting ahead of myself in outrage here and fell directly into your little trap with that reaction.

Someone who won't beat a game due to extreme dislike for it is just as welcome to criticize as anyone else. Your moronic criteria for who exactly is allowed to speak on a subject is exactly what leads to putrid circlejerk communities--something CAVE fanboys are well known for partaking in I might add.

>> No.1606902
File: 71 KB, 584x483, 1394320522089.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1606827
I'll check it out, seems to be hard to find though

>>1606868
Yes really

>> No.1606929

>>1606523
Treasure shmups have the best chaining, because it means you have to carefully choose which enemies to kill on screen to score well.

>> No.1606951

>>1606874
Is this also you?
>>1605507

>> No.1607037

>>1606902
The original version only has 3, you press different combinations to activate different weapons.

>> No.1607046

>>1607037
Well I only played the saturn version, has 6 weapons + sword, which makes it 7, and they're all assigned to different buttons. That's what I want.

>> No.1607050

>>1607046
There are still 7 seapons, you just use the different combinations of the 3 buttons to use them.

I think you can actually do than in the Saturn/360 versions as well. Try pressing two buttons at the same time.

>> No.1607052

>>1607050
Yes you can

>> No.1607128

>>1606748
>playing doodoopoo on anything

>> No.1607132

>>1606506
Ok, you got me there. That is the worst.

Anyway, what imputs do you guys like? I've been playing with an arcade stick recently, and it is pretty awesome for MAME, though it doesn't quite map right for some windows games.

>> No.1607134

>>1607132
ddr pad or go home you fucking casual

>> No.1607136

>>1607134
I've used it for fighting games.

>> No.1607138

>>1607132
360 Fightpad which is basically a larger Saturn controller and the original Saturn controller for me. I have a good arcade stick but I feel like I play better with the Saturn style dpads

>> No.1607143

>>1607138
If you're going to use a dpad for any game, I agree that you can't go wrong with Sega. Well, with their Genesis and Saturn style, at least.

>> No.1607198

>>1607046
I can't think of much, most shmups with multiple weapons let you cycle through them instead of mapping each weapon to a button.

>> No.1607209

>>1607198
That saddens me greatly
I was expecting there was a couple out there, but yeah I couldn't find any either

>> No.1608065

>>1606951
No.

>> No.1608634

>>1606720
what DDPs chaining isn't bad at all that bar lasts a pretty long time. donpachi is far more unforgiving, i still love it though although what you are doing in the game is very fucked up.

>> No.1609148

Why do they call it Ketsui?

Cuz that game is ass

>> No.1609162

i can't believe there are people ITT who don't like dodonpachi

dodonpachi fucking rules, come on

>> No.1609628

>>1609162
It's bad, like most cave games.

>> No.1609653

>>1602579
5/5
Einhander, Thunder Force V, Gradius V, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun
The next ones I plan on playing are Mars Matrix, and the earlier Gradius and Thunder Forces. Strikers looks interesting.

>> No.1609686

>>1609628
you're just being contrarian they aren't bad at all. the shmup and fighting game threads are so cancerous on here fuck sakes.

>> No.1609692

>>1609686
I love that new contrarian meme you're forcing.

>> No.1609705

>>1609692
>meme

That's not what a meme is. Come on, bro.

>> No.1609706

>>1609692
I love how you think your subjective opinions are facts.

>contrarian
>new
>meme

you're such a newfig it hurts

>> No.1609723

>>1609686
no, it's a well known fact most cave games are kusoges that are terrible to play for both survival (boring) and scoring (bad systems)

>> No.1609780

>>1609723
>it's kusoge because I say so!

solid arguement

>> No.1609902

>>1609780
i gave valid reasons as to why they're garbage

try to refute them instead of crying like a child

>> No.1609987

>>1609902
That that poster, but in order to 'refute' your 'argument,' you'd have to make an argument in the first place.
An argument is a statement that can be refuted or supported with data. Your statement can neither be refuted nor supported because "it's boring" and "it has bad scoring" are not quantifiable. It's the cosmic teapot: I can claim a teapot is in space, in orbit around the sun. The claim is unfalsifiable due to the extreme vastness of the space of the sun's gravitational pull. Hence, the burden of proof lies with me for making such a vastly unfalsifiable claim: I must find said teapot or proof of said teapot were my claim to carry water.
Similarly, as you've presented an unfalsifiable statement as a claim, it is your job to provide back up data for the claim either with descriptive examples of why you or others find the game boring and the scoring bad or by quantifying the boredom output and quality of the scoring in the game then comparing that data in relation to the boredom output and scoring quality of other games.
You're reasons aren't valid.
They're http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

>> No.1609993

>>1609987
>That that poster
Err... "not that poster," rather.

>> No.1610014
File: 73 KB, 320x224, DoDonPachi (J).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

YOU ARE NOT OPTIMIZING YOUR PLEASURE TIME IN THE SPECIFIC WAY I DETERMINE MOST OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR

And for what it's worth, I think DDP's scoring is great; simple to understand and tough to master. Instead of getting caught up and trying to copy some superplay, just take it on your own and try to come up with your own strategies and ways of doing things. It's actually rather addictive and fun. When stuff does finally start to click and you manage to pull off chaining large parts of the stages, it's a really intense feeling.

>> No.1610108

>>1607132
I prefer keyboard whenever possible. Sadly a lot of doujin games have such awful default controls with no way to change them that I am forced to use a controller.

>> No.1610203

>>1610108
butthurt faggot

>> No.1610218

>>1609987
except i did make an argument, i pointed out how DDP survival sucks because it's too easy and thus boring (for the first loop, anyways), and how the scoring systems are shit. you can't even keep a consistent chain going to the boss of the first stage. SHIT TIER DESIGN.

Cavefags are so desperate to make their terrible games look good, it's kind of pitiful.

luckily that shitty company left the arcades for good

>> No.1610236

>>1609987
>you're reasons
Dear me, what the hell am I on today?! "Your reasons," rather.

Oh, and I played Guardian Legend earlier today though it's not purely shmup. The most recent shmup I played, though, was Omega Fighter Special. Emulation is a beautiful thing.

>> No.1610312

>>1610218
nobody is trying to make the game look good, people are just saying it's not bad despite your criticisms which boil down to "I don't like it so it is bad". I'm not a cavefag either I'm just pointing out that you're a contrarian prick.

>> No.1610341

>>1610218
>i didn't make an argument

>>1609902
>try to refute [my claims that it is boring and suffers from bad scoring] instead of crying like a child
>refute

>>1610218
>i didn't make an argument
>>1609902
>refute me
>claims to make no argument
>requests refutation

... A statement that seeks refutation defense is an argument. Specifically requesting refutation absolutely confirms that you "made an argument" and intended to "make an argument."

>> No.1610343

>>1610341
>seeks refutation defense
Holy fucking shit on a stick, I'm off my game today! That shoulda read "seeks refutation OR defense," for fuck's sake!

>> No.1610369

>>1610341
no i was telling that guy to actually prove why DDP isn't shit instead of crying about it

>> No.1610490

>>1602579

Why isn't Saidaioujou dumped for mame usage yet? Or am I not looking hard enough?

>> No.1610493

>>1610490
Even mame knows it's shit.

>> No.1610510

>>1610493
How is it shit? Anyway, I don't really care what people think about it, I just want to give it a try.

>> No.1610605

Wow, the last part of this thread is just depressing. This is what I would call pure, concentrated shitposting. It's sad.

>> No.1610626

>>1610605
This entire thread is /v/ tier. There's an entire board for people who hate video games.

>> No.1610682

>>1610605
>>1610626
Meta is still shitposting.

>> No.1610737
File: 146 KB, 631x1200, 1399595688357.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's otomedius and trouble witches along with two other taito games. They should work find on any laptop with 256mb vram.

http://pastebin.com/5r2sEVSd

>> No.1610751

>>1610737
Thank you skellington.

>> No.1610771

>>1610737
Not retro, get the fuck back to /v/.

>> No.1610773

>>1610737
>The application was unable to start correctly

is this some lostboy shit

>> No.1610779

>>1610773
I got it to work by extracting the exe's to the game folder in the loader rar.

>> No.1610782

>>1610779
That's what I did, it's still not working.

>> No.1610791

>>1610773
I'm getting false positives but it's virus free.

>> No.1610802

>>1610782
Windowed mode?

I guess I should of put in the dll so you could change the config as well.

>> No.1610804

>>1610802
Yeah, it's windowed.

>> No.1610816

>>1610804
Damn. You may not have enough shader support. I'm using an nvidia 3100m and it goes up to 4.1. Sorry for wasting your time.

>> No.1610860

>>1589445
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYANFqBgwB8
Still the best.

>> No.1612427

>>1610605
Yup. These threads used to be so nice. Now they're filled with fedoras attempting to sound more well versed than each other. No scoring conversation or anything. I'm gonna be glad when the Raizing fanboy/cave hate bandwagon leaves the station so we can have civil threads again.

>> No.1612480

>>1612427
If anyone's a fanboy here it's people who overreact to criticism like you. Not everyone likes CAVE's lame shooters, get over it.

>> No.1612546

>>1612480
I play mostly Toaplan and Treasure, but since I am not retarded I realize that Cave is also extremely solid, which is one of the reasons they are one of the only big shmup studios that still exist and put out games. People like you only started crawling out of the woodwork lately because you actually think hating something popular makes you seem well versed. For the life of me I don't understand why you lot seem to believe Raizing is some obscure shit that only da leet gamurzz know about though.

>> No.1612551

>>1612546
>I am not retarded
Allow me to demonstrate just how wrong you are about that. I defy you to point out a single instance of a Raizing fan putting down CAVE in this thread. It shouldn't be too hard for you what with them crawling out of the woodwork and all.

>> No.1612630

>>1612551
well didn't you do that

>> No.1612672
File: 42 KB, 500x500, 489f5078d6ada2ea3aa764623ae98c26.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1612630

>> No.1612709

>>1612551
You can't read the past 150 posts in this fucking thread that have you and your fellow 12 year olds pretending like BG is the only perfect thing created on this planet and "doodoopoo" is oh so terrible? Just because you guys just heard of it this school year doesn't mean BG is some sort of underground gem that has gone unnoticed. Most of us liked it when it came out and still do, but you faggots acting like it makes you cool to know it exists is just obnoxious. And anyone with a brain can realize that just because you like it doesn't mean everything else is bad. I think Batsugun shits on both games in question but I still don't pretend like either are anything short of great.

>> No.1612726

>>1612709
Give me a post number if you're so great.

>> No.1612740

>>1612480
no it's you making criticism's and not liking things is perfectly okay, you on the other hand go out of your way to throw a little subjective statement in there just to bait people in to replying like myself.

>CAVE's lame shooters

again that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, john you are the fanboys. Nobody is saying the games are above criticism were just trying to get you to realize your stupid little subjective statements are opinions and not facts.

>the scoring system is bad because I don't like it
you have to realize that is only your opinion and not an objective criticism of the game. Now please just stop baiting and flaming people.

>> No.1612758

>>1612740
>using the The Dude defense

>> No.1612773 [DELETED] 

>>1612740
DP and DDP's scoring systems are objectively shit. What part of this fact can't you understand, Cavefag?

>> No.1612775

I <3 Toaplan

>> No.1612787

>>1612775
That is only your opinion and not an objective praise of them.

>> No.1612792

>>1612773
Your post is objectively shit because it doesn't cite any sources or give any comparisons. Please do not troll on /vr/.

>> No.1612796
File: 460 KB, 498x280, tumblr_lvtypvZvRE1r4xqamo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1612787
>objective praise

Doesn't exist.

>> No.1612806

>>1610816
Taito Type x2 games don't work without at least 512mb of ram numbskull.

>> No.1612815

>>1612792
I don't need to cite sources when it's an obvious design flaw. It's not possible to get a perfect chain in DP or DDP, so it has a shitty design. DOJ kind of fixes this, but chaining is still a horrible concept for scoring. If you want DP scoring done right, see Ketsui. Instead of having to kill constantly to keep the chain alive, you get bonuses for shotgunning, which is a far better scoring concept.

>> No.1612828

>>1612815
>It's not possible to get a perfect chain in DP or DDP, so it has a shitty design
I don't like DDP either but that's arbitrary reaching. Removing the lulls in certain levels wouldn't make it suddenly well designed.

>> No.1612836

>>1612815
Perfect and continuous are not the same thing

>> No.1612851

>>1612815
doesn't matter if it is impossible to get perfect chains in the levels it wasn't made that way. The fact you don't like it doesn't mean it is shitty either. You can't seem to grasp the difference between objective criticisms and your subjective opinions.

Yes the scoring system is an objective criticism, the fact you do not like the scoring system does not mean it is bad though. I should just shut up though it's like arguing with a fucking wall.

FYI I've said this before I'm not a cavefag, most of my favorite shmups are more the older style before cave was even a company before toaplan even released batsugun.

>> No.1612859

>>1589902
All about practice, literally the entire game is just memorizing over and over again. Play the Genesis one I guess. I enjoy it even if I suck at it.

>> No.1613387

>>1612546
>which is one of the reasons they are one of the only big shmup studios that still exist and put out games.
No actually it's because they created a niche for themselves and have always valued presentation over gameplay. This is just a lazy ad populum argument. Is DICE a good studio now because they're still alive shitting out crappy games while Free Radical Design is dead?

And I don't know why you keep thinking I'm a Raizing fanboy, I've made no mention to them in any of my posts about CAVE. In fact I'm one of the people who criticized Garegga earlier in this thread or the last one.

>> No.1613393

>>1612815
Honestly I feel like the interplay between Ketsui's scoring system and surviving has the similar end result of turning it into a tedious heavy memorizer like Dodonpachi, so it sucks all the same.

Polite sage for non-Retro.

>> No.1613405

>>1612815
Why is chaining a horrible concept for scoring? It's a great idea that adds an additional layer to the game, which you once discover and start to abuse for scoring makes you approach the game differently than when you were simply playing for survival. Now you can play the game for chaining/scoring and survival, each giving you a different experience. I think it's a good concept for scoring.

>> No.1613725
File: 246 KB, 1872x750, incoming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone else prefer Genesis STGs to any other system?

Anyway, I have these two coming because hell, they look neat.

Anyone ever play them?

>> No.1613776

>>1593474

So Battle Garegga is literally impossible to beat without suicide? No one has ever done it?

>> No.1613789

>>1592821

All shmup games eventually go into complete bullshit memorizer territory in the last level/second to last level because they are arcade games that need to suck quarters out of players to make a profit. Not being able to beat the last level of Dodonpachi without dying on your first try doesn't mean you suck at shmups.

>> No.1613925

>>1613776
I think it's very probable that it is. Try playing the game with a maxed out difficulty cheat sometime, some of the stuff near the end just doesn't seem possible to get through when it's that high.

>> No.1613927

>>1613387
Dice is owned and funded by one of the largest publishers in the industry and Free Radical still exists they are just called Crytek UK now. Cave has survived on their own because they make games people that like shmups enjoy playing. You're only proving that you're being a cunt because they are popular though.

>> No.1613930

>>1613725
Not really, and frankly I think the Genesis's shmup library has a metric ton of mediocrity that don't deserve the praise they get.

>> No.1613932

>>1613776
Sure it's possible. Rank-control is an aspect of Garegga but there are other ways to do it besides suiciding, which is an advanced technique because of the risk involved, and not the norm as some try to portray it.

>>1613925
This is misleading advice, it never gets that high naturally.

>> No.1613937

>>1613927
FRD is most assuredly dead, most of the influential people on staff did not transfer over when Crytek bought what was left of the company (Graeme Norgate is the only one I know of). Regardless thanks for agreeing that companies can continue existing despite producing nothing but shit and on the fallacious nature of your "it's popular so they're doing something right!" argument. Good developers die all the time and bad developers thrive. Financial success doesn't say shit about the quality of games made.

>> No.1613961

>>1613937
And you continue being a hipster that doesn't know the difference between AAA dev teams being supported financially by publishers and niche dev teams being supported by fans of the genre. Good to see we have the god of shmups in this thread to explain to the entire community how he is the only word on what is good and bad, and good requires obscurity. Logic is just so mainstream anyway.

>> No.1613963

>>1613789
>All shmup games eventually go into complete bullshit memorizer territory in the last level/second to last level because they are arcade games that need to suck quarters out of players to make a profit.

Which is the reason why all shmups are shit.

You'll dump dozens hours into the games, making slow but steady progress, all the way thinking you're a gaming god and cannot be stopped. And then... BAM! A brick wall. Suddenly there are enemies swarming every inch of the level and they're all shooting bullets that are too fast for any human to avoid with reflexes and quick thinking alone.

From this point on, it's all about memorization. The fun is over. Now it's just tedious work. It's then that you realize that you've been raped in the ass, because you'll never have the patience to replay those last couple of levels a million times each to memorize every fucking inch, and thus you're never going to one-credit the game, and thus will never be completely satisfied. Shmups are shit!

>> No.1613965

>>1613961
Rejecting your ad-populum argument doesn't mean he's making the reverse argument you know.

>> No.1613969

>>1613963
I feel like laughing what was the last game this happened to you in?

>> No.1613980

>>1613965
Samefaggging is embarrassing

>> No.1614001

>>1613969
Zero Gunner 2. A fairly easy shmup... until you get to levels 6 and 7. The last two levels are insane. I've been playing the game off and on for a few weeks now, and I usually die around the level 5 boss. So finally I said fuck it and credit fed my way to the end just to see what the game had in store for me, and now I'll never play the game again. The last two levels are pure memorization BS and I want nothing to do with it. In fact, I'm done with the genre. Every shmup is like that. It's total BS, and I have better things to do with my time.

>> No.1614008

>>1613961
>thinking that triple-a is anything more than a marketing term to boost sales
How's that blast processing working for you?

>> No.1614046
File: 256 KB, 1920x1200, BF_sencoromenuC001.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm going to try to make 570k+ at Metal Black and get #1 on system11.

Wish me luck.

>> No.1614049

>>1614008
AAA does indeed refer to big budget games heavily marketed towards as broad of a demographic as possible. The opposite of any shmup since Blast Processing was even a term. Which is why you're retarded for attempting to compare that to a small niche dev like Cave.

>> No.1614051
File: 95 KB, 300x300, onlythedead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're speaking french, you're in luck, the best Ketsui ST ever has been done on shmup.com.

http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18734

>> No.1614067 [DELETED] 

>>1614051
>>>/v/

>> No.1614068

>>1614067
>pre-SH3
>m-muh retro
Fuck off sperglord.

>> No.1614081

>>1614049
>small niche dev like Cav
Cave is pretty much the first thing that pops into people's minds if you mention "a company that makes shmups". Go back to your shitty pandering games.

>> No.1614089

>>1614081
>not Toaplan
>not Technosoft
>not IREM
>not Taito
Go back to your shitty pandering games.

>> No.1614092

>>1614068
Fuck off if talking about retro games is too damn hard for you, /v/irgin.

>> No.1614096

>>1613961
I'm not sure what developer budgets have at all to do with my refutation. Whether or not CAVE makes good games is not decided by their success in the industry. Please stop making these retarded appeals to popularity; if you're old enough and posting on 4chan of all places you shouldn't be so naive.

>> No.1614097

>tfw no saturn version of Batrider

>> No.1614132 [DELETED] 

I realize it's not retro, but do you guys like Jamestown?

>> No.1614147

>>1614132
yeah its pretty fun to score attack
it also gets pretty hard on the higher difficulties

>> No.1614236

Speaking of CAVE, it seems like using your hypers constantly is the best way to score in Daioujou, am I wrong?

>> No.1614238

>>1614236
using hypers to keep your chain going is a good idea

>> No.1614267

>>1614236
>>>/v/

>> No.1614283

>>1614236
Daioujou is not retro.

>> No.1614459

>>1614081
>>1613965
>>1613930
>>1613387
>>1612480

can we ban that fucking faggot? All he tries to do is stir up arguements with people.

>> No.1614472

>>1614459
I hold a mirror to people's faces, they see their ignorance and stupidity reflected in it, and then instead of learning from that and mending their ways they lash out at me, for showing them the mirror.

The Athenians poisoned Socrates for this.

The Jews crucified Jesus of Nazareth.

This is human nature.

>> No.1614475

>>1614472
lol

>> No.1614479
File: 39 KB, 320x262, Apidya-Amiga.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know why they had to include some lame story into this game about some anime girl getting attacked and some dude going into a spaceship to find some sort of cure. I just want to be a bee and do bee-based shootan'.

>> No.1614484

>>1614472
>People shouldn't like what I dislike
>showing them their ignorance.

the only ignorant one here is you buddy.

>> No.1614668

>>1614459
Those are multiple posters and you should just leave if you can't handle healthy discussion. This forum isn't a hugbox and you don't get to ban people who disagree with you.

>> No.1614993

>>1614668
Samefagging again eh? We know it's all you and nobody said this place had to be a hugbox you just don't know the difference between your opinions and subjective criticism. A game is not bad just because you don't like it, its perfectly okay if you don't like it but you just shitpost to start a flame war.

>> No.1615024

>>1614993
Damn that ass is red

>> No.1615725

>>1614097
It would've had those shitty stage-loading segues like Garegga did.

>> No.1615742

>>1612851
A chain should be broken because you fail to kill enemies in the alotted time, not because the developers put in a lack of enemies to kill. What the fuck can't you understand about this bad design? It's not just because I don't like it, retard. It's an objectively poor system, and why time-based "combo-chaining" never showed up in any non-DP Cave game since then, because even Cave realized it was horrible. But you wanna know something even funnier? Cave even made an actually more atrocious scoring system. See: Progear, Guwange, ESPGaluda. Bullet cancelling for score is the epitome of stupid.

>> No.1615750

>>1615725
thats the price I would pay for comfy Batrider in my bed

>> No.1616143
File: 33 KB, 224x320, gunbird2_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Man, Marion a cute but holy fuck is this game brutal. I have no problem getting to stage 5 in something like Strikers 1945 II, but Gunbird 2 keeps pushing my shit in.

My big wall is the st3 bosses. I know you're supposed to use the power shot alot, and try to melee things, but I'm just having a ton of trouble with the patterns. Any advice?

>> No.1616163

>>1614236

you'll get less rank increase for larger hypers in proportion to the amount of points you can get, so it's best to save them up for a big popcorn wave

>> No.1616168

>>1614668

this conversation is about as healthy as a plague rat. this is seriously the worst incarnation of the thread yet seen and you are directly responsible for that, i hope it dies a quiet death and that all of your sons are gay

>> No.1616269

>>1615742
I kind of enjoy Espgaluda but I guess I'd have to agree that the scoring system itself is pretty shitty. A scoring system should require the player have greater challenge but bullet canceling creates just the opposite effect.