[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 256x186, The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_Game_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1582214 No.1582214 [Reply] [Original]

Been playing this on my SNES for the last few months a bit at a time. Just beat the Gargoyle dungeon in Dark World, have lots of shit like the second shield and a couple medallions, the Ice Wand, and stuff.

I don't even like this game. It's annoying to play, the bosses are a joke, the dungeons seem devoid of any real puzzles, the world itself is bland. There's so much shit everywhere that just getting from point A to point B and simple wandering is a task, let alone moving about in dungeons. It just never stops. Items seem pretty much useless outside of one or two specific contexts, the medallions are nothing against enemies.

Why did people ever like this game? I never had it the first time I had a SNES so I can't nostalgia goggle it. Even Zelda II was better than this.

>> No.1582220

I like to complain about the wooden controls myself. Though I do like this one more than Zelda II.

As far as useless items go, I think the boomerang in OoT takes the cake there.

I guess you just have to take it in the context of what the rest of that generation of games was like.

>> No.1582252

sounds like you dont like zelda

zelda has always had easy bosses, even its most difficult game: zelda 2 had simple bosses

its also always had easy puzzles, lttp had the most difficult puzzles for me out of all the series

'going from point a to point b' describes pretty much any game

the series was never really difficult even its NES games are pretty easy by the standards of their time

>> No.1582260

I'm with you OP. fighting anything seems like a complete crapshoot most of the time; my ideal strategy is to hole up in a corner and mash the sword button and hope they die before I do.

The combat in Zelda 1 was never like this, monsters gave you opportunities but moved in distinct patterns that allowed you an edge; the modern games turn the damn combat into a timing puzzle but that's at least interesting and doable. I just can't effectively kill fucking anything in this game. And I'm halfway into he fucking dark world.

>> No.1582272

That's because Zelda 2 *was* better

>> No.1582281
File: 1.89 MB, 236x224, Is this guy serious.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1582272

>> No.1582310

>>1582281
I don't see what's so controversial about this opinion that it warrants a reaction image without any explanation.

Link to the Past was the first casualized move the series made. A shift of focus from combat to puzzles.

>> No.1582323

>>1582310
You say that like if the combat in Z2 was any good.

>> No.1582328

>>1582323
It was certainly better than Link to the Past.

>> No.1582330

>>1582328
Link in ALttP doesn't use a butter knife to fight, so no.

>> No.1582332

>>1582330
>i find it h-hard so it s-sucks...

>> No.1582335

>>1582214
ALttP is a very well-made and brilliantly paced game. It has limitations and weird controls, Ocarina and LA are better games, but it really is one of the best video games in terms of sheer craftsmanship.

You're nit having fun because you're not really playing it. You're expecting domething the game doesn't have, so you can't appreciate what's there.

I recommend you stop playing it and come back in a few years with an open mind. That's what I did. My early opinion of it was just like yours.

You should let yhe game flow. Just sit down and play. It's a terrible distraction, but a terrific engagement.

>> No.1582336

>>1582332
Where did I say that? Are you an idiot?

>> No.1582340

>>1582336
You implied his sword being short was a fault of the game. What other fault could it be other than difficulty?
>the sword is too short
>my fingers hurt
>the game is too hard
>i want to go home

>> No.1582347

>>1582340
It's a pain in the ass, not hard, you moron.

>> No.1582349

Its ok for a playthrough, but its hardly interesting or engaging enough for repeated playthroughs.

Its just one of "those" good games. Don't get me wrong, pretty much every first party nintendo title is going to be good, well made, and enjoyable. But there isn't really a lot of substance here for subsequent playthroughs. The story is non-existant, and like you said, its easy, and most of the cool shit is useless.

>> No.1582353

>>1582347
Why is it a pain?
Explain.

>> No.1582482

>>1582214
>Even Zelda II was better than this.
You should have written this at the beginning of the post, so that I wouldn't waste my time reading the whole post.
Opinion invalidated.

>> No.1582537

op a troll

>> No.1582541

I don't see what's so great about Alttp either

In LoZ and Zelda 2 combat actually made sense and required skill, you had to be careful in attacking and timing your attacks, just like in real life combat. In Alttp it's mashing the attack button in hopes that the animations actually connect.

>> No.1582545

I just wish Link to the Past let you skip boss heart containers for challenge runs.

>> No.1582559 [DELETED] 

>>1582482
90s kid detected.

le PS1 xD

>> No.1582571

>>1582335
I agree with this guy.

The problem isn't the game, it's you. If your mindset is just to have fun, you'll have fun. Do you honestly think a widely regarded game would be no fun? That something well above average is devoid of entertainment? As if you've stumbled upon some secret flaws that everyone has been oblivious to all these years? If your mindset is just forcing yourself to play something because wow, it's so classic it's practically required, then yes, you WILL conjure up some bullshit reason about why the game doesn't cater to your interest. If you can't get past that, nobody has to care about why, in your opinion, X game is overrated for Y reason, and it's an absolute fucking travesty how nobody noticed how shit it was but you, since you're special.

>> No.1582597

>>1582252
>sounds like you dont like zelda
This I think. Zelda games in general aren't in OP's taste.

>> No.1582602

>>1582310
>I don't see what's so controversial about this opinion that it warrants a reaction image without any explanation.

Because Zelda 2 is generally seen upon as the worst entry in the series. I know a few like it more, but most don't. It's "not Zelda enough".

I agree though that ALttP casualised the series. While I love Zelda, all the games from ALttP and forward are too easy.

Same with Metroid. Metroid 1 is my favourite Metroid game simply because it is the only game giving me a challenge. While I like Super Metroid/Prime series/whatever, they are an easy breeze.

>> No.1582612

tried to play this on muh wii

it doesnt like the gamecube controller AT ALL

>> No.1582614

>>1582612
>not using classic controller to play SNES games on Wii

>> No.1582617

>>1582614
>implying i have a classic controller

>> No.1582631

>>1582602
>Because Zelda 2 is generally seen upon as the worst entry in the series
By who? Or is this just a projection of your opinion?
>It's "not Zelda enough".
Yeah, because at the time it was released there was a trend of what a "Zelda" game is. Wait, that's not the case at all. It's the fucking second game.

>> No.1582663

>>1582631
>By who?
Errr...Really?
>It's the fucking second game.
In a series with subsequent entries that more or less ignore its game design in favor of the model established by its predecessor. He said that it's not considered "Zelda enough." He (and the people he's referencing) don't mean in the context of 1988, but in the context of the series as a whole.

>> No.1582672

>>1582663
>Errr...Really?
And this is supposed to be a response? Or am I supposed to accept the opinion of some imaginary hivemind?
>In a series with subsequent entries that more or less ignore its game design in favor of the model established by its predecessor. He said that it's not considered "Zelda enough." He (and the people he's referencing) don't mean in the context of 1988, but in the context of the series as a whole.
Yeah, but the game was released in 1988, around the peak of the Zelda series popularity, so why should retrospective analysis be of any value? The series is degenerate now. Who cares about comparing the degenerate present to the golden past?

>> No.1582698

>>1582571
This.

>> No.1582706

>>1582672
>Or am I supposed to accept the opinion of some imaginary hivemind?
It's like you've never been on the internet.

>1988
>around the peak of the Zelda series popularity
Not if you ask sales numbers. This is even ignoring how many people bought Zelda II because they expected a similar game to the first.

>> No.1582707

>>1582663
Many things are seen as this or that by some groups of people or other. He's right: unless you name a particular group of people and explain why it's opinion can be used to actually measure the quality of gamedesign, your statement is meaningless.

>> No.1582708

>>1582220
>I think the boomerang in OoT takes the cake there.
The boomerang was the best item in the entire game, the only shitty thing is that you barely get enough time to use it

>> No.1582712

It had an unreal amount of content compared to most games in its day.

>> No.1582715

>>1582706
>It's like you've never been on the internet.
The opinion of your average internet goer is both worthless and statistically meaningless.

>Not if you ask sales numbers.
Yes if you ask sales numbers.

Combined NES Zelda sales were greater than combined N64 Zelda sales or combined Wii Zelda sales.

>> No.1582716

It's just weird to have lived in 80's and enjoyed *both* NES Zelda games, and now have a bunch of forum fags and self-important bloggers talk about how Zelda II is such a bad game. If you could see the world through my eyes, you'd understand how retarded this whole "not a true zelda game" bullshit is.

>> No.1582720

>>1582335
Pretty much what this guy said.

>> No.1582721

>>1582214

Strange, I actually found the bosses pretty hard. By far the most difficult part of the game.

>> No.1582724

>>1582353
You have to get obscenely close to an enemy to hit them. From an artistic point of view it looks really stupid to have what appears to be a pocket knife as your sword.

>> No.1582725

http://www.honestgamers.com/2283/snes/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/review.html

This scathing review is pretty spot on IMO

>> No.1582726

>>1582715
Why are you combining sales numbers by system? Don't do random shit just to prove your point.

Also, the guy said "generally seen upon as the worst entry in the series". You know, generally. By people, in general.

>The opinion of your average internet goer is both worthless and statistically meaningless.
But I'm sure you're special.

>> No.1582728

>>1582725
>you then reunite with your father who is rummaging around in a nearby sewer (not making this up)
Uhhh...

>> No.1582729

>>1582728

Yeah thats the worst part of the review but the rest is pretty good.

>> No.1582734

>>1582726
>Why are you combining sales numbers by system? Don't do random shit just to prove your point.
It's hardly random. I declared that the era around 1988 (y'know, the NES era) was the peak of Zelda popularity. It only makes sense to combine the sales of console Zelda games at that time. Considering, y'know that similar games released closely to each other actually compete with each other slightly.

>But I'm sure you're special.
I'm backing up my hot opinions with sales data.

>> No.1582736

>>1582716
>has zelda in the title
Tick.
>has a green clad elf/faerie man/boy thing as the protagonist and he is called 'link'
Tick.
>elf/faerie man/boy thing protagonist primarily uses a sword and shield
Tick.
>hearts are used as indicators of HP
Tick.
>faeries or faerie/bug things are prominent in the game
Tick.
So how is ZII not a Z game?

While I enjoy aLttP, the spirit of the first Zelda game was lost immediately after development for AoL began. The open world gameplay the player character can explore nearly in its entirety from the get-go was lost. From AoL onward, the player character must have collected item X in order to explore the next vast swath of the world map.
With the exception of a few single screen islands, the entire world of tLoZ was open to the player character from the moment the player character appears on the screen, surrounded by green stones. That, to me, was the essence of a Z game. With AoL, the player character needs the candle to get to the second area south of the first then the raft to get to the continent east of there then the flute to get to the next area to the south of that and so on. Not open.
In aLttP, the player character needs the glove to open the second area north of the first then the pearl to open the third area then the hammer to open the fourth and so on and so on and so on. Also not open.
The problem for me with AoL and aLttP is that the expansive nature of the game worlds in those games gives the illusion of an open world. But it's totally not. And I don't like it as much because of that.
And don't get me started on how shitty I think all the GB, GBC, GBA and DS entries in the series are let alone the N64, NGC and Wii ones. Ugh.
The days of the open world Zelda are dead. :-(

>> No.1582739

>>1582734
You aren't really using the sales data as much as presenting it in a way that benefits your statement. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess have outsold even the first game. Even more games have outsold Zelda II. And again, who knows how many people were even satisfied with their Zelda II purchase when it turned out to be completely different.

>> No.1582745

>>1582736
Wouldn't it be nice if there were a Zelda game that let you have every item from the beginning, and let you go where you feel like? It might even be a sequel to LttP.

HRM.

>> No.1582748

>>1582739
>Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess have outsold even the first game

These games didn't have popular sequels to steal from their thunder. The fact that their sequels failed to sell well (Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword) put a damper on the brand name and weakened it.

Zelda 2 did no such thing. It was a strong release coming off a strong original game. That brand name had never been stronger. It was the only time in the series history where two console games were stronger sellers in a row.

>> No.1582760

Because aLttP set the tone for all the Zelda games to come? Even if you consider it bad that they changed up the formula you can't deny that it works.
>Blonde Zelda
>World Progression
>Dungeon setups
>Item Progression

Plus it was one of the meatier Zeldas with 17 dungeons. So I feel like that was kind of a trade off there.

>> No.1582762

>>1582745
I guess? But not what I was getting at. In tLoZ, the player character can access areas as far away as spectacle rock if the player was lucky enough to not get hit by Lynels along the way. Getting additional items serves only to make the treck easier (using the bridge/ladder thingy to go westward across that river north of the first dungeon then heading northwards; also heart containers and the blue ring to render Lynel attacks a bit less of an issue).
I like that. No such way to get to spectacle rock early on in AoL or aLttP.

>> No.1582768

>>1582736
But you're focusing too much on a single aspect of the game, and discarding all the others. It's like saying Strife is the only "real" Doom engine game, because the others don't let you move around freely between levels (Hexen does, but to a limited extent within a hub, and the other games only let you go to next level). Or even more extreme: original Doom is the only real Doom engine game, because Doom II got rid of the episode structure. But in practice, all the other aspects of the original game are there.

>> No.1582769

You pretty much described what i dislike the most about JRPGS.

But it's something we can't change, if we do, it's no longer a RPG to begin with.

>> No.1582772

>>1582760
>17 dungeons
One less than tLoZ and that's supposed to be some great achievement?

Also, I count only 13. Am I misremembering?
1) Castle dungeons.
2) Eastern Palace.
3) Desert Palace.
4) Tower of Hera.
5) Castle tower.
6) Palace of Darkness.
7) Lake Palace.
8) Blind's Hideout.
9) Forest dungeon thing the name of which I've since forgotten.
10) Ice dungeon thing the name of which I've since forgotten.
11) Swamp dungeon thing the name of which I've since forgotten.
12) Turtle rock.
13) Dark world version of the Tower of Hera, the real name of the dungeon I've since forgotten.

What other is there?

>> No.1582778

>>1582768
No, I'm saying those are all Zelda games. I just don't like them as much as the first Zelda. I like them, sure, but not as much. Well, I like all the 2D ones to some degree or other. The lowest score I give any 2D Zelda is 6/10. I detest the 3D ones except for WW which I also give a 6/10.

>> No.1582783

>>1582772
No its my fault I was thinking that there was 8 light and 8 dark and then Ganons tower for some reason. My main reason for liking it was that it was my first Zelda and then it's similar to the Oracles/Four Swords. So I guess I like the Top-Down Zeldas?

>> No.1582791

>>1582783
Ah, that would have been awesome. Don't get me wrong: I, unlike OP, like aLttP. Just not as much as I like tLoZ. I feel the same way about aLttP as I do about Metroid II: I don't like the opening world method of gameplay as much as I do the open world method of gameplay which is why I prefer Metroid I over Metroid II. And fuck Zero Misshit.

>> No.1582797

>>1582791
I never much got into Metroid until Zero Mission on the GBA, I was always more on Castlevania.

>> No.1582802

>>1582214
Man, whatever happened to not liking something but respecting it anyways? I hate MGS because I really don't like how it plays and stealth isn't my thing at all, but I can at least respect the game for what it is.

ALTTP is a fucking classic, incredibly well paced too, it's one of the 16-bits games that just keeps flowing, it has amazing flow. Not retro but, A Link Between World, taking a lot from ALTTP, also has an amazing flow.

>> No.1582803
File: 1.23 MB, 1600x1574, Game-Boy-Castlevania-The-Adventure-Front-Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1582797
Pic very related.

>> No.1582814

>>1582802
Precisely how I feel. See >>1582791
and >>1582736. How could I know all of >>1582772 without having at least some respect for the game? While I personally consider aLttP a bit overrated /for gameplay/, its influence sparked a metric fucktonne of copycats and spiritual successors. It's a seminal game. A classic. I just don't like it all that much. Unlike OP who just detests it.

>> No.1582817

>>1582803
I consider the Castlevanias to be split into two separate series. Is that odd? The platforming ones (CV I, III, the GB installments, IV and RoB) and the adventure ones (CV II, SotN and all the other ones thereafter). Three if you count the mishap (CV64).
I like each of the two categories for different reasons. There's no reason to set one against the other. Many CV fans tend to do that. Do you? Or do you, as I, appreciate both modes of play for different reasons?

>> No.1582819

>>1582748
I don't know what you're trying to say here. Stronger sellers in a row? In all cases, the second game sells less. If Zelda II was so great, why did Nintendo change the gameplay back? Why did LttP sell more? People are still whining about Zelda II's gameplay being different to this day.

Obviously, no game weakened the brand name if later sales were higher. Don't forget that both Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword both required additional accessories to be purchased. It's just that the first game on a system always sells the best.

>> No.1582821

>>1582762
No, I was joking. A Link Between Worlds is open, they give you all the items at the beginning (for rent) and you go wherever you want.

>> No.1582825

I wouldn't say ALttP was easy. Parts of it were, but then you had ridiculous dungeons like the Ice Palace and Tower of Hera that seemed to drag on for hours. Then there's that god awful cave where you have to create magical platforms to move across almost every room. You run out of MP so quickly that you end up exiting the cave on numerous occasions just to buy more magic potions. Some of this stuff this game throws at you is excessively tedious.

That's actually not a complaint, though. I'm glad ALttP is capable of keeping me busy. If it were too short, it wouldn't have been quite as enjoyable.

>>1582482

Not the same poster you're replying to, but Zelda II is actually my favorite in the series, with Ocarina of Time as a close second. I prefer the action elements over puzzle solving. That isn't to say I don't like most of the other games, though. I still replay ALttP on occasion.

>> No.1582827

Link to the past just has way too much bullshit in it. too many items and shit.

>> No.1582831

>>1582821
No 3DS so I've not played it. Getting one with 4,5 firmware and a Gateway in a few weeks, though.

>> No.1582836

>>1582825
Turtle rock is the only dungeon I disliked because of that magic platform bullshit. Tower of Hera is super easy, though. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, IIRC.

>> No.1582875

>>1582836
>Tower of Hera is super easy, though. Shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, IIRC.

Are we talking about the same dungeon? The one with 10+ floors? There's no way you can get through that area in 10 minutes.

Maybe I'm thinking about a different tower.

>> No.1583045

>>1582875
I don't think it has 10 floors and even if it did, quite a few of them are breeze-through sorts of floors that take 30 seconds each. Like the first floor, that upper one with the pearl on it and the one just before the top floor.
Lemme take a look and see how many floors it actually has, hold on.

>> No.1583060

>>1583045
It has six floors. Lemme do a run-through on my emulator save (snemulDS). Even though there's no more master key, pearl or pendant to get, I'll play through the dungeon as though there were and time myself. I'm absolutely certain it takes less than 10 minutes.

>> No.1583072

>>1583045

Then maybe I'm thinking about another dungeon. Was there a similar tower, like Ganon's Tower or something? Either way, I remember there being a massive fucking dungeon just before the final battle.

>> No.1583083

Speaking of dungeons the key system with backtracking was my least favourite aspect of the game.

>> No.1583091

Link to the Past can be quite charming, especially its green overworld and cute characters, but there's something about it I just never liked. I could never jibe with the controls, they always felt awkward to me with the weird perspective and diagonal movement.

I kind of wish the overworld had more communities. It feels weird there is only one town, Kakariko. It needs a bit more to me.

>> No.1583096

>>1583060
Okay, with no speed-ups (snemulDS doesn't have a speed up option), it took me 5m30.49s to run the entire span of the Tower of Hera including getting the master key, dropping down to get the pearl, climbing back up and going to the boss's pit on the top floor. I can't factor in how long the boss fight would take. I added an extra minute and ten seconds to my time (I actually did it in 4m20.49s) to account for A-mashing through the 'get item' dialogues for the pearl and the master key and to account for the extra time it would take to destroy those difficult to kill blue enemy thingies that run towards the player character. It's an easy and fairly straightforward dungeon, I'd say.

>> No.1583101

>>1583072
Ganon's Tower, yeah. That one's a bit of a pain. It's the one right after Turtle Rock. I hate Turtle Rock more, though.

>> No.1583154
File: 36 KB, 637x346, jentren.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1582214
>Been playing this on my SNES
Well, gee. I hope so. I don't think you'd get to far trying to play it on Genesis/Saturn/NES or Atari 2600.

>> No.1583184

>>1583154
why even bother posting this? fucking useless /v/ garbage get the fuck out

I loved LTTP and I still do. I make an effort to play it at least once a year. I end up forgetting a bunch of shit about it and have a blast remembering/figuring out shit again.

>> No.1583186

>>1582214
>I don't even like this game.

Why are you playing it then? :/

>> No.1583223
File: 38 KB, 612x612, 1392220178903.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I recently played it for the first time and I didn't like it very much.

The world felt bland, no interesting NPCs, and the 2 tracks used on every dungeon quickly became annoying.

Link's Awakening and the Oracles are better 2d Zelda games.

Btw am I the only one to hate the light world theme? I can't hear it for more than 5 minutes before my ears bleed. The dark world theme is beautiful though

>> No.1583289

>>1582335
>brilliantly paced game

What does that even mean in this context?

>> No.1583295

>>1582571
>The problem isn't the game, it's you

This is probably the lowest people sink to try to defend their game, they have no way to parry the criticisms and so they have to try to shift the focus away from the game. It's the same thing Infinite, Spec Ops, Gone Home etc fans all resort to.

>> No.1583604

>>1582708
Don't get me wrong, I like the boomerang, but like you said, so little time you can use it, and it's only really required in the last dungeon.

One of OP's complaints about Link to the Past was that it had items that were only useful in minimal context.

>> No.1583764

I'm replaying this right now, since I only completed it once ages ago and I got bored. Anyway, I just completed the desert temple and I've already hit 999 rupees. Was there anything to buy other than potions?

>> No.1583776

>>1583764
If you keep dropping rupees in the magic fountain, to raise your bomb and arrow count. I didn't know this my first time playing. I was used with just the first game letting you buy it from the old man

>> No.1583794

>>1583776
Oh, yeah, I remember that. Though I think I can't reach it yet. Thanks!

>> No.1583801

>>1583295
Why would anyone have to "parry" OP's criticisms when they're only whining? They're just opinions, doofus. He's forcing himself too much and not having fun.

This has nothing to do with those games considering LttP has hours of legitimate gameplay and no story. There is no mindset that will make someone have fun with Gone Home, because it has no gameplay. You just paid $20 for a couple hours of poorly resolved story. Some people liked that story, for whatever reason, being "progressive" or something. Relatively, though, the title is a bad value and hardly a game. Bioshock Infinite and Spec Ops also had somewhat poor writing, but at least the gameplay was average, and they weren't as short either. Drawing attention away from the game itself for those titles is a dumb idea because there's nothing of value elsewhere either.

>> No.1583979

Link to the Past was only good in context as a new game pushing technology and proposing new ideas in games. It doesn't hold up now but it's important in gaming history. It's like driving a Model T Ford now and noticing all the shit wrong with it and bad design, it's undeniably lacking but was important in its time.

>> No.1584035
File: 22 KB, 468x234, 468px-Dark-souls-logo-tops-main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1582214
Been playing this on my PS3 for the last few months a bit at the time. Just beat the Gargoyles in Undeadburg, have a lots of shit like the Dragon shield and one Estus +, the Claymore and stuff.

I don't even like this game. It's annoying to play, the bosses are a joke, the dungeons seem devoid of any real puzzles, the world itself is bland. There's so much shit everywhere that just getting from point A to point B and simple wandering is a task, let alone moving about in dungeons. It just never stops. Items seem pretty much useless outside of one or two specific contexts, the medallions are nothing against enemies.

Why did people ever like this game? I never had it the first time I had a PS3 so I can't nostalgia goggle it. Even Dragon's Age was better than this.

>> No.1584081

>>1582769
>if we do, it's no longer a RPG to begin with.

And why is that a bad thing?

>> No.1584102

>>1583091
>I kind of wish the overworld had more communities. It feels weird there is only one town, Kakariko. It needs a bit more to me.

Yeah, it seriously lacks in NPCs, which is partly why I like the Oracles games better. All dem villages and all dem NPCs.

>> No.1584108

>>1584102
I disliked the extreme linearity and hand-holding of the Oracles games. They're the best of the handheld Z games IMO, but considering that I consider the handheld Zs to be only one step above the 3D Zs, that's not saying much.
Fuck that Crescent Island bullshit, btw.

>> No.1584115

>>1584108
I think the Oracles games are much better. In fact, Oracle of Ages is my favourite 2D Zelda game. They improved so many things which were wrong with ALttP. Of course, Oracles came in 1998, and ALttP in 1991, so they should have fixed a few things.

And I loved the Crescent Island. One of the highlights of the game.

>> No.1584142

>>1584115
We'll have to agree to disagree, Anon! My favourite Zelda of all (as I hate all the 3D ones except WW) is the very first. I've yet to play aLBW.

>> No.1584151

>>1584035
>Even Dragon Age was better than this.
Now that's some 10/10 rustling. A+

>> No.1587401

>>1582214
>Why did people ever like this game?
Coz it's really good.

>> No.1587414

i will never understand the link's awakening wankfests on 4chan

the game has nice controls, and looks nice for a gameboy game, but it does not flow as well nor are the puzzles or world as interesting as a link to the past

>> No.1587418

>>1587414
>but it does not flow as well nor are the puzzles or world as interesting as a link to the past

The world in LA is far more interesting than ALttP

>> No.1587425

>>1587418

how? there are less secrets to find, places connect and can be accessed more easily...

the characters and writing isn't more interesting...especially considering most of it is silly fluff made up by the localization team

>> No.1587683

>>1583184
What crawled up your ass and died?

>> No.1587710

>>1587414
>i will never understand the link's awakening wankfests on 4chan
Me neither

LttP is multitudes better. I can admit I did find the music and theme of LA neat, it had a good mystery to it. The girl was a qt too

I was disappointed Majora's Mask's New Wave Bossa Nova sounded nothing like what was in LA

>> No.1587770 [DELETED] 

>>1587414
/v/ has a hipster mentality they can praise a game for YEARS and than once they conclude normel fags know about they stop praising and promote something else.

/v/ used to overwhelming agree ff7 was the best final fantasy. Than they switched to praising ff6. They did the same thing with ocarina/majoras.

>> No.1588156

>>1587770
Thank god we aren't on /v/ then.

>> No.1588225

>>1587414
Ditto.

>>1583979
Okay, I'm done with Internet.

>> No.1589014

>>1582214
Yeah I got it for my SNES a year ago and it's one of the worst games I've ever sat through. The Ice Palace must be the shittiest level design I think I've ever seen, it's like a fucking third grader made it for a project with no actual consideration put into it. I can't even begin to imagine that paid professionals actually designed it, let alone signed off on it and approved it up the chain. They couldn't have played it and thought it was good, they probably didn't.

Shit game, nostalgiafags will cry for days though.

>> No.1589026

>pick up a bush
>there's a bomb under it and it hurts me

>walk a few step in a dungeon
>a creature drops off the ceiling and hurts me

>enter area in overworld
>so many enemies on screen that framerate drops
>just walking around

>enemies coming at me from a diagonal angle

>does this hurt me?
>yes

>enemy on top of me
>can't get away to be able to use sword
>takes three hearts before I can get him in sword area

>etc

You think they put enough pointless shit to damage you in this game? You can get fucked up just walking around. Then when you're in a dungeon if you come back to it there's so much fucking arbitrary and tedious shit between you and the boss that by the time you get to it you're aching. It's padding.

>> No.1589150
File: 22 KB, 1014x653, crystalis.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1582214
OP, if you like aLttP then you should check out Crystalis for NES

It's the best Zelda game and it isn't even Zelda

>> No.1589204

I'm guessing this thread is mostly just trolling, right? It can't be the case that the overriding opinion is that /vr/ dislikes this game. I mean, surely not?

I recently played LA for the first time, and I have to say I don't understand how anyone can rate that above Link to the Past, if only for the damn acorn music every time you pick one up. Also the obnoxious item swapping. Both of those things are extremely blatant design flaws that are just objectively bad, yet no one saw fit to change them before release. Seriously, who played it and thought "Yep, no one will get bored of this music. Also, having to go in and out of the item menu ever ten seconds is a blast!".

>> No.1589209

>>1589204

*every ten. Ugh.

>> No.1589232

>>1589204
That's right man, everyone who disagrees with you is trolling.

>> No.1589238

>>1589150
>total linearity with absolutely zero exploration and no open world
Thanks, but no.

>> No.1589551

Worst part of it is the clumsiness of the control, that'll make up about 90% of the games tedium and annoying areas. I remember that part in the final Dark World dungeon on the moving platforms in the dark that had that control that was just absurd and goofy and completely incapable of translating what the player wants to happen into the game. It was designed by utter baffoons.

>> No.1589570

>>1589232
>That's right man, everyone who disagrees with you is trolling.

It's not so much disagreeing with that dude, but disagreeing with what's good about video games. You might as well say Super Mario World and Chrono Trigger are bad games. Like, sure, opinions and everything, but it's like saying you don't like burgers or pizza. You can be telling the truth and still be fucking weird.

>> No.1589571

>>1589150
it's not even the same genre as Zelda.

>> No.1589583

>>1589570
>if you don't like burgers or pizza, you're weird
Take your fat, American hive mentality elsewhere, please. Not everyone likes the things you like, fatty.

>> No.1589594

>>1589583
>he thinks burgers and pizza are American

>> No.1589609

Beating facing Twinexx in this game gave me a nervous breakdown because I didn't have any green potion so by the time I got to him I had to try to defeat him on one magic meter so every time I missed a shot with the Ice or Fire Rod I had to unbottle my three fairies you can get right before the battle, kill myself, then get back to the boss again, because if I left the dungeon to get a green potion I'd have to go all the way back through the worst level in Nintendo history just to get back to fight him again and that would have sent me into cardiac arrest.

>> No.1589618

>>1589609

Yeah I thought that was shitty design. There should have been a way to get magic during the fight. I think its silly when a game makes it impossible to beat something because you dont have a certain amount of equipment

>> No.1589623

>>1589594
The hamburger sandwich is American.
Pizza is not American, but Americans have adopted it as native. Like the Japanese did with tempura.

>> No.1590091

>>1589623
I want a pizza right now

>> No.1590140
File: 77 KB, 500x470, help.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1590091
I just had one, it was great.

>> No.1590413

>>1589204

But LA still manages to have a better control scheme than LTTP. There's 2 item slots instead of just 1.

>inb4 lttp only needs 1 because all the items are shit

>> No.1590419

>>1590413
Dude, I love LA (Why you people are even arguing one for the other is completely beyond me as I've never, ever seen a sane person like one but not the other) but A Link to the Past only needs one item slot because all of the other major items are on seperate buttons (Sword, Pegasus boots, power bracelet, etc.) whereas Link's Awakening requires them to be switched out whenever you use them because of the lack of buttons.

>> No.1590457

>>1582214
>It's annoying to play
It's only annoying if you completely and utterly suck at the game and easily get cornered by the weakest overworld enemies.

>the bosses are a joke
They're actually some of the hardest in the series. This game and the first one were the only ones where I needed to enter a few of the boss rooms with a potion ready.

>the dungeons seem devoid of any real puzzles
A Link to the Past comes from an era where Zelda games weren't primarily puzzle-centric games. Instead, the emphasis was on navigation, combat and secret-uncovering, of which there is plenty. Dungeons in particular were actual dungeons here, full of enemies and traps. That room with the moving floor, spikes and electric jellyfish comes to mind.

>the world itself is bland
Until you elaborate further on this point, I'm going to completely ignore such baseless criticism. There's plenty of stuff to do and find in both the Light and Dark worlds and each location looks unique, the same as most later games.

>There's so much shit everywhere that just getting from point A to point B and simple wandering is a task
Again, only if you still get shit on by a crow or a guard/hinox, which at this point in the game shouldn't even pose any kind of difficulty anymore. Git gud.

>let alone moving about in dungeons
You mean you sometimes actually have to USE A MAP? How dare this game!

>Items seem pretty much useless outside of one or two specific contexts
The boomerang, bombs and fire rod get plenty of use, and most stronger enemies can neatly be taken care of with the hammer+ice rod. There's a ton of points where the hookshot comes in handy to cross gaps, the bow & arrow gets rid of enemies you can't easily reach by sword when not at full health, the magic cape/cane of byrna helps immensely in those rooms with the narrow ledges, and a well placed medallion strike can make all the difference. No wonder you suck at the game if you gimp yourself to only using the sword.

>> No.1590460

>>1582214
(Continued)

>the medallions are nothing against enemies
And which enemies are those? Having the bombos medallion in the ice palace makes the place a cakewalk (in terms of enemies) and less of an "annoyance" like you've been complaining about.

>Why did people ever like this game?
Because unlike you, they learned how to play it.

>Even Zelda II was better than this.
I know you were going for an insult with this sentence, but Zelda II is a genuinely good game. Hell, the first three Zelda games are among my top favorites. Both AoL and ALttP have their share of strengths and weaknesses, so it would be incorrect to say one is necessarily "better" than the other unless judged by only a single concept, like difficulty or exploration.

>> No.1590467

>>1590457
>>1590460
lol full blown autism
grow up you idiot manchild

>> No.1590469

>>1590467
>Translation: I have no rebuttals so I'll just insult you

>> No.1591583

>>1589026
>whining about damage in a post-nes zelda

>> No.1591603

>this thread
Wow, LttP was never one of my favorite zeldas, but some of the complaints here are ridiculous. You'd think the game has Bubsy 3d-levels of shit controls and level design based on this thread.

>> No.1591630
File: 160 KB, 366x325, kaeporaorly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1590467
>idiot manchild
>autistic
>posting on /vr/

"Hello, Pot? This is Kettle. You're black!"

>> No.1593117
File: 22 KB, 237x229, 1388724031139.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1589570
This is the stupidest thing I've read all week.
What if you don't like platformers or RPGs? Then you wouldn't consider SMW and Chrono Trigger as good games. You could argue that they are boring, bland etc.

And lots of people don't like burgers or pizza. It's nothing wrong with that. Actually that is great if it keeps you from eating such unhealthy food. Implying that people are either trolling or weird for not liking the same type of food that you do is very ignorant.

>> No.1593123
File: 116 KB, 732x706, 1363197649426.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1590413
>inb4 lttp only needs 1 because all the items are shit

made me lol

>> No.1593127
File: 68 KB, 478x480, i understand completly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1590457
>The bosses are actually some of the hardest in the series.

>> No.1593147
File: 25 KB, 305x400, 2699304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1594853

>>1587414

LA was my first Zelda and even I consider it to be just a "pretty good" Zelda game. Best portable one until ALBW.

>> No.1594892

>>1593117
>And lots of people don't like burgers or pizza. It's nothing wrong with that. Actually that is great if it keeps you from eating such unhealthy food. Implying that people are either trolling or weird for not liking the same type of food that you do is very ignorant.

How are burgers and pizza unhealthy? Just because you only eat them at Pizza Hut and Burger King doesn't mean healthy versions don't exist. And yeah, you are in the minority. Get used to it.

>> No.1597162

>>1582571
>Do you honestly think a widely regarded game would be no fun?

Yes. Not this game, but using an argumentum ad populum is bullshit. There are many many many piss poor modern games that are widely regarded.

>As if you've stumbled upon some secret flaws that everyone has been oblivious to all these years?

You would actually be surprised how oblivious people can be. Most people don't even notice regular bugs and glitches in games.

>> No.1597172

>>1590457
>They're actually some of the hardest in the series.

Zelda 1 bosses are easier, Zelda II bosses are a harder.

Though since every Zelda after LTTP gets easier and easier I suppose that's not incorrect. They are some of the hardest bosses in the series and quite easy at that.

>> No.1597237

>>1594892
>i don't like minorities!!! they're different!!!