[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 66 KB, 500x496, 600full-ace-combat-3--electrosphere-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1572424 No.1572424[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So, I've been curious about the retro Ace Combat games. I've heard the Japanese version of 3 is the best one, but is this one really that bad compared to it? Is this one still enjoyable even if it lacks the cutscenes and whatever amount of missions they cut out?

>> No.1572439

Played the pal versions of Ace Combat 2 and 3;
2 was awesome for its time and my favorite of the two, 3 was gorgeous but slower paced.

my favorite level from 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoaGgpA5eo

>> No.1572451

>>1572439
I still have yet to play any of the PS1 ones, but that city levels looks really good. Reminds me of a mission from AC4.

>> No.1572469

>>1572451
>that city levels looks really good
That level was on a playstation magazine demo CD, played it countless times; it was fun as heck trying the riskiest stunts, and that music always got me pumped up.

3 had a very different feel, there were levels where you would go up the stratosphere, felt almost contemplative in comparison to its more action-oriented predecessor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4uqenrhLtg

>> No.1572481

The core elements to this game are not effected in any way to the bits and pieces lost in the translation.

so no there is no real reason to go on some kind of ridiculous goose-chase after the jap version.

>> No.1572496

>>1572481
>ridiculous goose-chase
It's like 15 bucks on ebay. It's not rare or hard to find.

The Jap version has more total missions spread across two discs. Even if you disregard the story, it's a major difference.

>> No.1572671

>>1572481
So you're suggesting branching routes are irrelevant?

>> No.1572897

Took some time to track down the PS1 titles(I prefer personal tracking down...internet hunting is my last resort). I have to admit, when I started playing them, the gameplay was still surprisingly solid. Not sure how I feel about 2's mechanic of hiring mercs that interferes with mission pay(ended up doing all the missions solo), but I liked that even back then, they were trying different things. It was also pretty amusing for me to see landmark cities/places that would play a part in future AC battles(Comberth Harbor, for one).

>> No.1573076

>>1572671
They are when the NTSC version takes all the good missions and combines them into one longer campaign instead of several short ones sprinkled with dull missions.

>> No.1573178

>>1572439
I played AC2 well after its heyday, probably about 5 years ago, and I was surprised at how well it's held up. The framerate is better than the video suggests, the music is kickin', and there's fun stuff like shooting down all the ace pilots.

My only real complaint is that it's too easy. Only a few of the missions give you any real pressure and dogfighting is more a matter of patient chasing than risk.