[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 406 KB, 970x546, EarthBound-Ness-in-Onett.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1570915 No.1570915[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

This has to be the most overrated game I've ever played.

>> No.1570920

>>1570915
Thanks for sharing, anon. Now I will be able to carry on with my life.

>> No.1570927

I don't get the hype either. I'm not crazy about jrpgs anyway, but Earthbound is particularly slow and repetitive, and the simple presentation, together with the awkward perspective, makes play especially tiring. The story might still be worthwhile but I don't see how that justifies the high praise it gets.

>> No.1570940

It's sad that it's overrated now because it really is an excellent experience. But if you've heard too much then it might not live up. That's why as soon as I hear a game is good I stop reading about it and go into it as blind as possible.

>> No.1570948

>>1570940

>an excellent experience

It's tedious and slow. It bores me to tears; which is a shame, because the surreal take on America and 50's sci-fi is great.

I don't know if I can force myself to finish it, but I'm already 75 percent through the game, so I might as well.

>> No.1570951

mega man legends sucks.

>> No.1570954

>>1570948
It is the story that makes you keep playing or you just don't care for it?

>> No.1570958

>>1570948
Don't play the original Mother then.

But really, it's basically a traditional JRPG with a unique setting/story. That was kind of the point from the beginning. It's not an amazing game from a gameplay standpoint (though it's far from bad), it's there for the experience/atmosphere.

It gets so much praise now because of how different the presentation was, and is, from anything else out there. It's got enough funny/cute/quirky moments to string you along till the end, if you're into that.

>> No.1570959

>>1570915
Will this game ever be sensibly priced again?

>> No.1570960

>>1570951
I love megaman, but I can't get into Legend, starforce or battle network myself. the game are just too different for me

>> No.1570973

>>1570915
agreed. it's trite and insipid, which is a shame because it had a lot of potential. how anyone can think it's anything beyond mediocre is a mystery, but I'm guessing they just have shit tastes

>> No.1570984

>>1570915
For a ton of Americans it was their first RPG.
There's a metric fuckton of side quests and areas to explore which made it feel like a true adventure. Also like alot of 90's games there was a charming juxtaposition of art style and lighthearted personality.

I personally think it's actually quite modestly liked compared to LttP or FF4-6.

>> No.1570997

>>1570954

I enjoyed the game well enough at first, but now it's just getting tedious. It's the same shit over and over and over. I realize JRPGs are repetitive by nature, but the game just moves so painfully slow. I feel like smashing my monitor whenever that photographer stops my fucking game to make me say 'Fuzzy Pickles'. Fuck him.

>> No.1571004

>>1570997
What's the point of even finishing this, the grind will only grow worse. You should just quit.

>> No.1571010

>>1570915
>not Chrono Trigger

>> No.1571050

>>1571010
>not Final Fantasy VI

>> No.1571061

>>1570997
Well consider that most european RPGs are even worse when it comes to grinding (MMOs like world of warcraft for exaple are 80% grinding, 10% talking to fat nerds in the chat and 10% of quests)

>> No.1571086

Then you must have shit taste mate. It's overpriced sure but not overrated.

>> No.1571093
File: 13 KB, 480x360, NoCrying.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1570915
tfw OP has no feels

>> No.1571096
File: 597 KB, 288x288, r3acllEl61r3n055o1_400.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1571086
>but not overrated

>> No.1571105

It's an ok game on its own, but a bunch of Murrican hipsters just had to praise it like the Second Coming of Christ and build an entire cult around it.

>> No.1571115

>>1571004
>grind in EB
Uhh, no.

>> No.1571126

>>1571115

i dont think he meant 'grind' as in 'grind for levels'. but i may be wrong.

>> No.1571128

>>1571061

I've never had any interest whatsoever in MMOs.

I like some JRPGs; Earthbound is just fucking slow as shit and painfully boring.

>> No.1571134

I think I might agree, OP. The thing that really bothered me about Earthbound was the shitty fucking inventory limit.

>> No.1571135

>>1571105
>hipsters
The new red scare ladies and germs.

>> No.1571137

>>1571134

Seriously, the inventory system is unbearably bad. Like I care about how many items a child could realistically carry in a game about aliens, psychics and spaceships.

>> No.1571138

>>1570951
This too!

>> No.1571140

But is it as overrated as Terranigma?

>> No.1571149

>>1571135
You're one to say, you dirty hip.

>> No.1571150

>>1571137
Yeah. The only time a game should have realistic inventory limitations is if it's like, a horror game or something.

>> No.1571164

>>1570958
See, this is what always come out whenever Mother / Earthbound is mentioned. Story. I played through it and I still think there's nothing special at all about the story it's even almost made me puke. I'm not murican, though, that may be the reason.

Also, what's with everyone crying over this >>1571093
I mean, I get to that point and I just went "eh, okay. that it?" as I've already predicted it since he first showed up. If you mean the dialogue on that battle alone, meh. I've got a twin brother myself, so maybe that too.

>> No.1571194

I quite enjoy Earthbound's quirky humor and story but its gameplay really leaves a lot to be desired. There are a few things it gets right that a lot of other RPGs don't at least, though. Instantly ending battles where your party is far more powerful being one of them.

>> No.1571203

>>1571061
>(MMOs like world of warcraft for exaple are 80% grinding, 10% talking to fat nerds in the chat and 10% of quests)
Have you not played WoW for a while?
Now it's 10% pay for a level 90 char in the online shop, 5% learn how the class works, and 85% pokemon/LFR/whatever you want to do.

>> No.1571204

>>1570959
I doubt it.
But then again, I'm in the EU so it doesn't matter.
I remember all the threads about it on wiiU, though.
>It'll get a price drop now!
>Sell your copies, it's gonna plummet now!

>> No.1571226

I could never get into Earthbound. The game play just didn't do anything for me.

That said, I fucking love Mother 3. The rhythm-based battles are such a simple change but make a HUGE difference to how enjoyable the game is to actually play.

>> No.1571243

name some games you like op

>> No.1571251

>>1571243
OP can't name any games he likes. OP is from /v/. /v/ doesn't like games. /v/ hates games. /v/ can only discuss games /v/ hates. See >>1569872.

>> No.1571267
File: 116 KB, 1024x443, earthbound_by_heyfresco-d7f0hrp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I first played Earthbound, I didn't like it. I thought it was too hard. For example, I would grind for an hour to make sure I was over powered, only to enter the next town and get stomped by an ambush of two enemies that I apparently was not ready for.

Because of this, you quickly learn to leave your hard-earned money in the ATM machine, so you don't lose half your cash from random battles that don't go your way. You also learn to strategize how you move about the world map, so that you are careful not to jump into battles that probably won't benefit you. This leads to a much deeper element of gameplay not seen in other RPGs for the Super NES.

For example, while I was playing and exploring a cavern, I found a room inside the cave with a single bug enemy. I discovered I was able to exit and re-enter the room a bunch of times to gain a few extra levels. These extra levels allowed me to beat down the mouse enemies inside the cave without having to fight them, which in turn, allowed me to venture through the rest of the cave without much trouble. It's moments like this, which involve careful planning, thoughtfulness and creativity, that really gives Earthbound that added layer of depth.

It takes a little time to learn the right techniques, and perhaps in the beginning I was just spoiled by other JRPGs that are much easier, such as Final Fantasy IV. A small complaint for an otherwise masterpiece of a game.

The graphics, sound and music in Earthbound are among the finest in the whole Super NES library. But it's the game's colorful cast of characters and witty humor that kept me hooked until the end.

In short, Earthbound is just unique and original in all aspects—from its look and sound to even how you play the game.

Originality is a beautiful thing. Earthbound is a masterpiece.

>> No.1571289
File: 170 KB, 1280x960, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1571149
You too.

>> No.1571291

I found it to he terribly boring and the atmosphere is nothing that makes me want to waste hours of my life on it. fuzzy pickles is so damn ecksdee just begging for upboats on le reddit. the jokes are lame I get them they just aren't funny even the more subtle ones.

>> No.1571292

I love the atmosphere but the gameplay just fucking sucks. I think turn-based fighting is pretty bad anyway but Earthbound's is especially bad.

>> No.1571296

>>1571251
This.
Go home /v/, you suck balls.

>> No.1571308

>>1571267
Watch out, you'll be called a hipster!

>> No.1571317

>>1571267
>the game is hard because i grind then get beat up by enemy characters anyway
That has literally never happened to me. I thought it was too easy. If 11-12 year old me could beat the game without having ever seen a game over screen (I've still never seen it), it can't be too difficult. Perhaps you're just very, very bad at console RPGs. The rolling HP counter even makes the game substantially easier than other RPGs.

>you learn to move around and not get into battles that dont benefit you
What? I don't understand what you're saying here. Besides the fact that all battles until you reach lvl 99 benefit the player characters (as far as EXP goes and after lvl 99, they benefit you in cash), there's no more strategy involved in avoiding enemies in EB than there is in Zelda; just walk away from them.

>the gameplay is deeper and unlike other RPGs
Entirely and patently false. It has Attack, Defend, Run Away, Item and Magic (PSI) as battle options, just like every other console RPG ever. The on-screen enemies are no different than in other games with on-screen enemies.

>i kept killing instakilling roaches until i was strong enough to start instakilling mice
So... you went grinding and think that this is special to EB? What? The only difference between this and other console RPGs is that you don't have to mash A in EB because the battles are skipped by the instakill when you're overpowered.

>it takes time to learn the right techniques
What? You mean like the spells/PSI and stuff like that? You get Lifeup at lvl 2 and the attack one at lvl 8 IIRC. That's rather early on, really.
Or are you talking about battle strategies which are non-existent. Really, the player can just mash A until the fight's over then gain EXP until you can start instakilling single enemies.

>EB is unique
Except it's not. Itoi has admitted it's a DQ clone.

I don't hate EB, but everything you've said is just really, really odd to me because it's demonstrably false.

>> No.1571325

>>1571267

earthbound if one of my favorite games of all time (also happens to be the first RPG i ever played when i was like 7 or 8 years old; i remember getting it for my birthday and everytime i 'leveled up' (i didnt know what it really meant in the beginning) i would run into the other room where my aunt/uncle/parents were screaming "i am at level 8 now!!!" etc like a total aspie).

that being said, i wouldnt necessarily call some of those strategies 'depth', in my eyes at least. leaving/re-entering rooms always felt like more of an exploit to me, though you are kinda forced to abuse it no matter what. for example, entering a room with 4-5 bad guys, leave/re-enter until there is 1 or none. you can get through the whole game this way. doesnt feel like depth to me.

once again, i still love the game but i wouldnt praise those design choices necessarily

>> No.1571332

>>1571317
i think he is the type of faggot trying to push the market for this game even higher with his sales pitch. he's the type of faggot op was referring to

>> No.1571347

earthbound is the most beta game of all time even more beta than touhou. how does it feel being so beta? I know you guys know all about the feels

>> No.1571369

>>1571347
gb2 /v/

>> No.1571404 [DELETED] 
File: 917 KB, 1523x825, 499987-clay_chosenfour.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1571317
Well first of all, you mis-quoted me. I never said the game was too hard because I grind and then get beat up by enemies. I said I originally thought it was too hard, but after playing it and giving the game a chance, realized it was not.

>all battles until you reach lvl 99 benefit the player
I disagree. Certain enemies love to double-team you. And if you are not of a high enough level, there's a slim chance you will beat them. So these battles are best avoided.

>The on-screen enemies are no different than in other games with on-screen enemies.
Actually, I said Earthbound's gameplay was unique to other RPG for the Super NES—not every console ever. So again, you took my words out of context. But anyways, I disagree with your point made. The on-screen enemies in Super Mario RPG do not bond and double team you like the enemies in Earthbound. So sometimes you really have to pick and choose your fights.

you went grinding and think that this is special to EB?
Certainly not. It was the way I went about doing the grinding that made the experience special for me. I never said grinding was exclusive to Earthbound.

You mean like the spells/PSI and stuff like that?
No. Things like what kind of strategy to use, when to withdraw money from your bank account, etc. It takes a little playing time to get the hang of these things.

I don't hate EB, but everything you've said is just really, really odd to me because it's demonstrably false.
Everything I said about Earthbound is correct, in my opinion. But I can still except your opinions, even though I disagree, and feel you rewrote some of my words out of context.

>> No.1571410 [DELETED] 
File: 917 KB, 1523x825, 499987-clay_chosenfour.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well first of all, you mis-quoted me. I never said the game was too hard because I grind and then get beat up by enemies. I said I originally thought it was too hard, but after playing it and giving the game a chance, realized it was not.

I disagree. Certain enemies love to double-team you. And if you are not of a high enough level, there's a slim chance you will beat them. So these battles are best avoided.

>The on-screen enemies are no different than in other games with on-screen enemies.
Actually, I said Earthbound's gameplay was unique to other RPG for the Super NES—not every console ever. So again, you took my words out of context. But anyways, I disagree with your point made. The on-screen enemies in Super Mario RPG do not bond and double team you like the enemies in Earthbound. So sometimes you really have to pick and choose your fights.

>you went grinding and think that this is special to EB?
Certainly not. It was the way I went about doing the grinding that made the experience special for me. I never said grinding was exclusive to Earthbound.

>You mean like the spells/PSI and stuff like that?
No. Things like what kind of strategy to use, when to withdraw money from your bank account, etc. It takes a little playing time to get the hang of these things.

>I don't hate EB, but everything you've said is just really, really odd to me because it's demonstrably false.
Everything I said about Earthbound is correct, in my opinion. But I can still except your opinions, even though I disagree, and feel you rewrote some of my words out of context.

>> No.1571415

>>1571317

>you went grinding and think that this is special to EB?

>You mean like the spells/PSI and stuff like that?

>I don't hate EB, but everything you've said is just really, really odd to me because it's demonstrably false.

>> No.1571494

>>1571203
It's been years since the last time i played WoW, i din't even liked it, it's just a boring game designed for lifeless nerds and the fact that you need to pay monthly never made intusiantic.
Now it's incredibly outdated but there are people still playing that garbage, it's revolting...

>> No.1571509

>>1570915
I found it to be unplayably bad.

>> No.1571531

>>1571415
>misquoted
No. It's called a paraphrase. I removed all the needless fluff and boiled it down to the essence of the point you were making. Had I left all the fluff in, I would have needed two or three posts to reply to yours point by point.

>not all battles are beneficial
That's false. All battles in EB give EXP and cash.
EXP and cash are beneficial. If you get whupped by enemy characters in the game, perhaps you're just not good at RPGs. To restate, I've yet to ever see the game over screen.

>you took my words out of context.
I don't think you know what "out of context means." I didn't take anything out of context. The statement made implied that EB is a unique RPG, unlike other RPGs on SNES. I declared that this was false because mechanics used in EB save the rolling HP counter and the non-utilisation of A-mashing for instakilling enemies are used in several other RPGs on SNES. There was nothing out of context. Disliking the point made doesn't render it out of context. The point made providing no back-up evidence also doesn't render it out of context. That's not what 'out of context' means.

>It was the way I went about doing the grinding that made the experience special for me.
Instakilling enemies is not unique to EB. As I said already, the only things unique to EB are the HP counter and the lack of A-mashing to instakill.

> Things like what kind of strategy to use,
What strategy? Mash A. That's it. That's all you need to do in EB and, with few exceptions, all other battles in all other console RPGs. Nothing more. There's no strategy to it.

>when to withdraw money from your bank account
Go store. Withdraw money. Buy stuff. Redeposit money. Such strategy!!

>etc
There is no etc. There's absolutely nothing strategic in EB. At all.

>Everything I said about Earthbound is correct, in my opinion.
>in my opinion
>correct
>opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

>> No.1571682
File: 140 KB, 1191x670, earthbound_by_miguelphantasy-d62i8kk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1571531
>I removed all the needless fluff and boiled it down to the essence of the point you were making.
Well you did a terrible job then, because you mis-paraphrased me and certain points I was making.

> I didn't take anything out of context.
Yes, you did. You originally stated I claimed Earthbound was unlike any other RPG, when I actually said it's unlike any other RPG for the SNES. You also accused me of saying the game is too hard because I get beat up by enemies after grinding. Go back and look at your original reply to me. You are back-peddling.

> the only things unique to EB are the HP counter and the lack of A-mashing to instakill.
So you admit that Earthbound has unique properties that other RPGs on the SNES do not have. This proves Earthbound is unique in at least the two ways you mentioned, and proves your own self wrong.

>What strategy? Mash A.
If you try that strategy alone, Earthbound will eat you alive with its double-team battles. Are you sure you've even played the game through?

>Go store. Withdraw money. Buy stuff. Redeposit money. Such strategy!!
Actually, it is. Sometimes you may wish to buy something far away from the ATM machine, so you need to sneak past harder enemies while doing so.

>There's absolutely nothing strategic in EB. At all.
Again, have you even played this game? I'm starting to think you've trolled me. If so, well played.

Thanks for giving your opinions, even though facts prove them wrong.

>> No.1571690

Would've worked far better as a novel. As a game, it's extremely underwhelming, unless generic Dragon Warrior-esque gameplay is your fetish.

>> No.1571697

>>1571531
>The statement made implied that EB is a unique RPG, unlike other RPGs on SNES

the setting is unique, so is the presentation

it's graphically appealing as is the sound

>> No.1571698

>>1571531
>That's false. All battles in EB give EXP and cash.
>EXP and cash are beneficial. If you get whupped by enemy characters in the game, perhaps you're just not good at RPGs. To restate, I've yet to ever see the game over screen.
Never seen the Game Over screen? Of course you haven't. You don't know anything about the game, so I imagine you never played it long enough to even reach a Game Over screen.

>> No.1571702

>>1570927
>I don't get the hype either.

They played it as kids.

Some games only work as kids games. Mother 2 is one of them.

>> No.1571709

>>1571702
I played Earthbound as a kid and I didn't like it as a kid. I just thought it was stupid.

>> No.1571719

>>1571698
Except that I've played and beaten the game. I instakilled four fobbies at a time (more than that and you get into an actual battle, le sigh) in Tenda Cave over and over to get to level 99 for every character. I remember various things various NPCs say in game at various parts in the story and where those NPCs are. I quote the magazine story in the house you can buy from time to time because it's amusing.
The only thing I've never done in the game is get the Sword of Kings.
Trust me, friend, I know the game better than you do because I bought it its week of release. You emulated it in the 2000s.

>> No.1571725

>>1570951
Megaman Legends is not overrated. It has a cult following and was reviewed poorly upon release.

>> No.1571728

>>1571725

it's an action game with stiff controls

>> No.1571734

>>1571728
Uhhhhh okay. That's a common complaint.

>> No.1571736

>>1571719
>Trust me, friend, I know the game better than you do because I bought it its week of release. You emulated it in the 2000s.
Bullshit. I been a gamer since the early NES days and I too played Earthbound within the first few months it was released in 1995. I think maybe this is reverse psychology. Maybe it's you who emulated in the 2000s. Would make sense, because you claim you've never gotten a Game Over. Those save states sure come in handy, don't they?

>> No.1571738

>>1571709

well some people played it as kids and have fond memories of it.

>> No.1571739

>>1571734

point is that it does not succeed at what it tries to do

earthbound does

>> No.1571747

>>1571739
I don't understand the point you're making because I'm stating that the game was never rated highly, and you're just reiterating that with specifics.

>> No.1571753

>>1571739
>comparing a game that could be done in RPGmaker to an early 3D shooter/platformer

now ya just went full retard, anon

>> No.1571754

>>1571747

it's not a good game regardless of how high or low x person rated it

>> No.1571761

the controls are not only stiff, but unresponsive

camera and lock on lags, cannot move while aiming, can't lock-on while aiming

the gameplay is so horrendous, pace breaking and obtuse it would have been better off as a standard rpg

awful game, being more obscure doesn't make it any better

>> No.1571762

I can't believe there's a thread on /vr/, of all places, with people bashing Earthbound and Mega Man Legends. As fun and set-apart-from-current-generation-games as both titles are, you would think /vr/ would appreciate them.

It appears some of the 12-year-olds from /v/ have invaded our board.

>> No.1571771

>>1571762
/vr/'s always had threads bashing popular games, have you been living under a rock for a year?

>> No.1571782

>>1571762

/vr/ appreciates a lot of games that are "set apart from current generation". Just because this game in particular isn't praised that doesn't mean /vr/ somehow doesn't appreciate retro gaming.

Most people seem to be saying that Earthbound has a refreshing, interesting atmosphere and environment but the combat really sucks, and since that takes up more time than anything else, it's not that fun to play.

>> No.1571787

>>1571754
I guess a game with top of the line voicework of it's time, unique visual style, a plethora of dungeons to explore, upgradable tools, and a changing world is invalidated because the controls were stiff. Nothing else matters because the controls in this early-age 3D action game, which were even improved upon the sequel, were stiff.

Forget that reviewers and even fans mentioned this very issue at the time of this "overrated game's" release, it was still one of the most creative titles to choose from in the library of PS1/N64, and I guess that's why autistic Megaman fans that only enjoy consuming literally the same game over and over again couldn't appreciate it.

>> No.1571790

>>1571762
>As fun and set-apart-from-current-generation-games
They are both fairly accessible style over substance games and far from being good examples of old school game design.

>> No.1571792

>>1571771
>Implies anyone not familiar with 4chan trends lives under a rock, when it's probably the other way around

>> No.1571793

>>1571762
>Megaman Legends
I like this game for what it is. Its charming in its own way, has some voice acting, entering dungeons and getting upgrades is fun, finding things is fun, there is some cool mission diversity. I agree the controls are clunky, but thats whatcha get for a PS1 game pre-dualshock.

>Earthbound
I don't like this game because basically its a shitty JRPG with LOLSORANDUM humour and story. I think its genuinely a terrible game.

>> No.1571798

>>1571782
Thank you for telling me what games are fun to play dude.

>> No.1571801

>>1571790
>They are both fairly accessible style over substance games and far from being good examples of old school game design.
You do realize Earthbound is one of the said games, correct?

>> No.1571805

>>1571801
So? That totally applies to Earthbound as well. You think it would be beyond a modern gamers ability to master the game?

>> No.1571812

How does that phrase go about only finding the bad in good or something?

It seems like a pretty weak assessment to say that an early age 3D adventure game is flat out bad because the controls are stiff or wonky.

>> No.1571824

>>1571793
>LOLSORANDUM humour and story
Say what?

>> No.1571827

>>1571736
Nope. Like I said: 11 year old me played the game without ever getting a game over screen. Not once. Or, at least, not that I remember. I can remember what game over music/screens look like for all games I've played except EB and SoE. I know I've game overed many times in SoE because I recall the game being a bit... challenging... but I'm pretty sure I've never game overed in EB.
>reverse psychology
The battle cry of the wounded douche who's been pinpointed for what he is.

Like I said: I don't hate the game. I don't. I also don't think it's some holy grail of gaming. It's a pretty average RPG with fairly average story-telling and subpar gameplay. It's cute. It's charming. It's highly memorable and largely reference-able/quotable. But it's not great. To heavy EB fans, though, saying "it was okay" is like spitting on a Quran in Mecca. I'm surprised you haven't gotten some Pig Mask or Starmen death squads after me amidst screams of EARTHBOUNDU AKBAR!

>>1571762
I didn't think EB was all that great when it was released. I knew it was going to have a cult following, though. It was charming and quirky. How could it not? As for MML: I fucking hated it back then and only think it's 'meh' now. Admittedly, I disliked it because I, at the time, hated all the 3Difying my favourite games were getting. It took me a while to warm up to SM64, too.
I still hate OoT and tLoZ:MM and many other 3D additions to well-rooted games series.

>> No.1571830

>>1571812
This.

>>1571805
Not him, but Earthbound rocks and I agree that /v/ really does like a more suited place to bash a 16-bit classic.

>> No.1571841

>>1571824
>Say what?

He probably hasn't played it. I'm not the biggest fan of EB myself, but I'm not shitting on it with vague buzzwords.

>> No.1571856

>>1571251
Oh just fuck off with this attitude already. /vr/ is for retro game discussion, not retro game circlejerking. Nothing is above criticism, get over it.

>> No.1571862

>>1571827
>The battle cry of the wounded douche who's been pinpointed for what he is.

1. You said I emulated Earthbound in the 2000s. You are wrong.

2. You accused me of saying Earthbound was unique to RPGs, when I actually said it was unique to other Super NES RPGs. You were wrong, again.

3. You then went on to point out two features unique to Earthbound that is missing from other Super NES RPGs. This was just stupid on your behalf of the argument.

Again, reverse-psychology. If you know what I'm trying to imply.

>> No.1571870

>>1571856
>Nothing is above criticism

Criticism is more than "this game is overrated"

As it should be to actually facilitate discussion.

>> No.1571874

>>1571862
>>1571827
>>1571736
>>1571719

Popcorn! I need popcorn!

>> No.1571880

>>1571856
Hey, I've been "bashing" EB this entire thread. Merely stating that I don't think it's a great game counts as bashing, I guess. OP didn't give any criticism. "I don't like thing" isn't criticism. "I don't like thing because other thing" is criticism. See the difference?

>> No.1571884

>>1571725
>It has a cult following and was reviewed poorly upon release.
Kinda like... like... uh what's its name...
oh yeah, Earthbound.

>> No.1571892

>>1571824
>BOING ZOOM!!1 LOL DING DONG KAY-O?

>> No.1571895

>>1571856
Many professional and independent reviewers scoff at the term "overrated." Not just in relation to games, the same can be said for film and animation.

>> No.1571897

>>1571895
>Many professional and independent reviewers scoff at the term "overrated."

[citation needed]

>> No.1571904

>>1571884
Review poorly upon release? What are you talking about?

IGN gave it a 9.0
All RPG gave it a 9.2
Nintendo World Report gave it a 9.5
Nintendojo gave it a 9
Game Force gave it a 9.5
Famitsu gave it a 34/40
Allgame gave it 4 stars

Critics freakin' love Earthbound.

>> No.1571910

>>1571862
That's not what reverse psychology is. Dear me, you've not a clue what you're talking about.

EB has nothing unique to its gameplay besides the two things I mentioned. That's all. All the other things it does have been done on other SNES game. I never said anything other than that. It's not stupid to acknowledge the two things that set it apart while simultaneously acknowledging the myriad things that make it similar. It's stupid to ignore the myriad things that make it similar while touting the only two fairly minor things that differ from other SNES RPGs.
It's setting is unique. It's charm is unique. It's quirkiness is unique. It's musical style is fairly unique. It's graphical style not so much. I agree with the original post that started this chain on all these counts but strongly disagree with the assertion that the gameplay is unique. Because it isn't. It's just not.

I suppose you're the same poster that doesn't understand paraphrasing and context? Figures you also wouldn't know what reverse psychology is nor how to properly hold a discussion.

>> No.1571915

>>1570915
Overrated? What are you talking about Gamepro said it sucked when it came out. I personally liked it though but liked Phantasy Star IV better.

>> No.1571919

>>1571884
Earthbound has a cult following because of weird advertisement in the West, it didn't sell very well due to the price tag(?) and the way in which it was packaged. I've never heard of Earthbound being poorly received at the time however.

Megaman Legends sold pretty badly and was received modestly, at best, even fans that enjoyed many aspects of the game have always said that the controls felt clunky and frustrating, fully admitting that it has niche appeal. Legends is pretty much the antithesis to being overrated, even fans criticize their favorite game. I think the accusations come due vocal fans that felt cheated out of their third game due to Inafune and Capcom nonsense, along with 2D Megaman fans that never understood the appeal of Legends (which was a drastic change)

>> No.1571935

>>1571884
Earthbound was released to overwhelming critical acclaim. It was also, however, released to near unanimous consumer yawns. Players didn't buy it.
I bought it. I enjoyed it at the time. I still enjoy it now but I don't think it's some great classic, though. It was so-so, quirky and charming and a game I enjoy replaying from time to time. I still don't put it in my top 10 or even top 50 games, I don't think. I'd have to sit back and think on that a while.

Anyway, I'm not sure, but I think the game was met with poor sales figures in the NA market despite being lauded by critics.

>> No.1571938

>>1571919

>the way in which it was packaged

That sound like people couldn't open the packages.
How exactly was it packaged so it could affect the sales?

>> No.1571941

>>1571910
>all those incorrectly used it'ses
Oh my. I'm in bunches now.

>> No.1571949

>>1571938
I believe it was sold together with a strategy guide or something that inflated the price tag of each copy. I could be wrong on this or thinking of something else.

>> No.1571958

>>1571910
>EB has nothing unique to its gameplay besides the two things I mentioned.
Wrong. You often have to pick and choose your battles because of enemies that double team you. Super Mario RPG has on-screen enemies, too, but they don't bond together and double team you.

You still refuse to address how you said I emulated the game in the 2000s. You were also wrong about this.

I will continue to ignore your vain insults and only point out the faults you have made in your posts.

>> No.1571960

>>1571938
It was sold with the strategy guide for some reason inexplicable. The packaging was just overwhelmingly huge, is all. I'm not that other poster. I don't think the packaging was a problem. The price tag maybe? I don't know. I didn't want for money in those days and I don't remember how much I paid for it. I remember going with my older brother to the store, to buy it. I think it was $79,99?

>> No.1571970
File: 23 KB, 480x340, king_fingerpalm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw people say they like Earthbound humor/writing

I take it they're also Family Guy and Adventure Time fans.

>> No.1571979

>>1571970
Bait so low quality it's not even worth posting the picture.

>> No.1571985

Jesus /vr/, are you guys still having "earth bound is overrated" threads?

I haven't been here in months and I come back and this thread is on the front page with 100 posts.

>> No.1571986

>>1571958
if youre the same guy as >>1571698, you started with the shitflinging not anyone else. why start shitflinging if you're gonna get all pissy when someone hands it back to you? dont dish it out if ya can't take it, faggot

>> No.1571989

>>1571812

I don't think that's a bad criticism at all, the controls in Mario 64 are amazing and it was the first 3D platformer.

>> No.1571991

>>1571985
It's a sad sight but morbid curiosity draws me in, like watching a train wreck.

>> No.1572001

I just don't get why games have turn-based combat. It's so fucking boring. It takes up most of the time you spend playing too.

>> No.1572007

>>1572001
Agreed. There's a reason even Final Fantasy ditched it.

>> No.1572020

>>1572001
While I agree, I don't mind it.

>> No.1572040

>>1571986
It all started when this guy: >>1571317 mis-paraphrased me by saying: "the game is hard because I grind then get beat up by enemy characters
You can read my original post above, and you'll notice that was NOT the point I was making at all. But still, anon has yet to own up to mis-paraphrasing me.

Then, anon says, "Perhaps you're just very, very bad at console RPGs," and "everything you've said is odd to me because it's demonstrably false," (even though his statements have been proven wrong, and he knows this, thus now refuses to comment on such statements).

So if you can suggest I'm bad at the game, and that's fair play, then I can suggest you've never played it, and that would be fair game, too.

It is YOU who started the shit-fighting when you said: "The battle cry of the wounded douche who's been pinpointed for what he is." >>1571827
Everything was fair play and set in motion by you. The name-calling and insults started with YOUR post.

Again, what you said has been easily proven wrong by simplying looking back at our conversation. And again, reverse-psychology.

I won't call you any names. I'm simplying end this post by correctly quoting you.

>you started with the shitflinging not anyone else. why start shitflinging if you're gonna get all pissy when someone hands it back to you? dont dish it out if ya can't take it, faggot

>> No.1572041

>>1572001
Nothing wrong with turn based combat if it allows movement eg. on a grid.

>> No.1572056

>>1572040
but that was the point you made, anon-kun
and what does this double team shit mean? played the game. touch one enemy and get into a battle with one. another enemy touches you while the screen flashes and you get into an enemy with two or three or however many enemies come in. howzat any different than just getting a random battle with like 17 ogres or something in another rpg and they all beatyer ass into next week? it ain't.
you got all angry and outright insulted someone then got pissy when they insulted you back. you are the epitome of a faggot. i'm surprised you didn't get insulted worse than that, you horsefucker

>> No.1572058

>>1572001

People say RPGs have turn based combat because the developers spend most of the time on building the world and story and such. But if that's true why does the combat take up more time than anything else? Seems counter productive to me.

I wish it would have something like Secret of Mana or Zelda. I guess that combat system takes more time to develop though.

>> No.1572070

>>1572040
Wow. Just wow. All this because I don't like your precious? Okay Smeagol, have it your way. You win. ^_^ Never mind that literally everything you're saying even now is wrong. You still win. It's okay. You win. Ding ding ding. You win. That's what you wanted to hear, right? You win.

>>1572056
>>1571986
Shhh... let him have his plausible deniability hug-box. He didn't insult me even though he outright did. I insulted him first even though I totally didn't. He wins, after all. ^_^

>> No.1572075
File: 87 KB, 450x338, exile.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1572041
This.

>> No.1572080

>>1572058
I've never heard this explanation. Is that why? Hrm. I like the battles in the SMT games cuz you can just talk your way through. As I said in >>1572020, I don't mind turn-based. It's not so exciting, but s'okay.

>> No.1572084

>>1572056
>but that was the point you made, anon-kun
Nope. It wasn't.

>touch one enemy and get into a battle with one. another enemy touches you while the screen flashes and you get into an enemy with two or three or however many enemies come in. howzat any different than just getting a random battle with like 17 ogres or something in another rpg
It's different. When you enter battles in other RPGs, you usually have an idea of the enemy set you will be facing. But in Earthbound, you may go after a Mouse, only to realize two more Mice have joined in just before the battle begins., thus wrecking your plans.

>you got all angry and outright insulted someone then got pissy when they insulted you back
Totally wrong. Here's what happened:
1. Anon suggested I was bad at the game.
2. So I suggested perhaps he never played the game, before.
3. Anon begins the insults by implying I'm a douche.
4. I continue to discuss the arguments and accusations he falsely made against me, while he continues to insult me by calling me names. (Which is flaming and against the rules.)

Maybe anon should learn how to discuss things in a mature manner, instead of trying to start shit-fights when someone calls him out on the accusations he makes against someone.

>> No.1572093

Is Chrono Trigger considered turn based? I see people call it real time but I find it silly. I mean theres a bit more timing involved but it is still very turn based in execution. You select what attacks and magic to use instead of actually doing them and moving around.

>> No.1572095

>>1572070
>Reverse-psychology and possibly pretending to be two posters at once

>> No.1572103

>>1572084
>implying i'm a douche
but you are a douche, clearly. a faggot and a douche. a fagouche? what a faggot.

>> No.1572119

>>1572103
That's what I thought. You started this "discussion" with me, and I played along with each new rule of fair play that you set for it. And now it ends with you calling me a bunch of names. You must be so mature in real-life.

>> No.1572120

>>1572093
It's active-time, not real-time. It's menu-driven but not purely turn-based.
Turn-based and active-time games use a character's speed stat differently. In turn-based games, speed is used to determine the order of events after battle actions have been chosen. Highest stat goes first then second highest and so on until all chosen actions have been taken between both the player party and attacking party.
In active-time, speed determines how many turns a character can take in a set amount of time IE how quickly the turn bar fills up. Actions are taken as soon as they're chosen unless the action has a charge delay, such as after choosing a spell.

>> No.1572131

>>1572120
>In turn-based games, speed is used to determine the order of events after battle actions have been chosen.
Not always, sometimes speed determines how many action points you get.

>> No.1572135

>>1572119
What are you talking about? I patronised you in >>1572070 and that was that and the last thing I said to you. I can see that there is no end to this discussion with you, so I'm just going to leave it. If you want me to apologise, sure. Sorry. But you, as has been pointed out, started the insults, not I. You like the game to the point of fanaticism. I enjoy the game but identify it as mediocre and not terribly unique. What more is there to discuss? We've reached an impasse. There's no further discussion to have with you.

>> No.1572140

>>1570948
You have shifty taste in games. If you think earthbound is tedious play bof

>> No.1572141

>>1572131
>action points
Examples? I don't think I've played a game with action points. Perhaps I have? Dunno.

>> No.1572148

>>1572140
Are you the same poster insulting me because I don't think EB is some sacred cow above criticism? Now insulting other posters because they don't like EB?

>> No.1572156

>>1572135
Nope. All wrong. You suggested I was bad at the game, so I suggested you never played it. You started the shit-fighting by implying I was a douche. So even if your discussion with me did indeed end in >>1572070 then it still ended with you starting the shit-fighting.

Anyone following our discussion would know this... makes me wonder about that "other anon." You know... the one with bad grammar, who doesn't capitalize letters? Yeah, that one.

But again, I won't imply anything or call any names, such as the word "douche," as you have.

>> No.1572162

>>1572141
Well, I can think of one example, but it isn't really Retro. I'm just saying speed working that way is any sort of hard rule.

>> No.1572163

>>1572120

Good explanation, thanks.

>> No.1572165

>>1572156
Not him, but getting mad over games is stupid, you douche

>> No.1572171

>>1572120

What would Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

>> No.1572178 [DELETED] 

>>1572165
>Implying that because I'm calling someone out who insults me means I am angry about it

I'm not angry at all. If anything, I've wasted my time with someone who started a shit-fight with me, even though I refuse to take part in it and resort to child name calling.

Name calling doesn't win arguments. Mature, thoughtful discussion does.

>> No.1572185 [DELETED] 

>>1572165
>Implying that because I'm calling someone out who insults me means I am angry about it

I'm not angry at all. If anything, I've wasted my time with someone who started a shit-fight with me, even though I refuse to take part in it and resort to child name calling.

>> No.1572186

>>1572001
It was a necessity of early console development just like random battles, but yes, it should have been ditched around the time FFIV started to do more with the turn based system

>> No.1572189

>>1571164
when you're a kid everything is amplified to epic proportions. I've replayed some games that used to blow my fucking mind recently and realize how trite they are now that I'm older.

>> No.1572193

>>1572165

I'm not angry at all. If anything, I've wasted my time with someone who started a shit-fight with me, even though I refuse to take part in it and resort to childish name calling.

>> No.1572198

>>1572165
Leave it. He's entered into full-on "everyone who points out that I'm wrong/a douche is the same person" territory. There is no return from that point.

>> No.1572204

>>1572193
>starts attacking others
>plays the victim when they retaliate
Are you Jewish? I'm Jewish and I don't do this shit.

>> No.1572206

Guys who pick bullshit arguments with someone on 4chan, then when they cannot give value to their argument with facts, resort to name calling, then when they see that's not helping them, resort to pretending to be a different poster, are little girls.

I won't point any fingers. Just sayin'.

>> No.1572207

Is there any bait left?

>> No.1572210

Hey a question. I really love this song from Mother....But is this like an "official" version? Obviously its not the game version but was it written by the developers too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZpyHP7B_g

Also there is also a song called Eight Melodies in Earthbound correct? I think its a lot worse though.

>> No.1572212

>>1572204
When did I attack someone? Show me.
Show me who the first person in my discussion with anon was to resort to name-calling.

>> No.1572214

>>1572210
"Its" is the possessive of "it".
"It's" is a contraction of "it is".

>> No.1572216

>>1571050
>not Final Fantasy VII

>> No.1572218

>>1572216
I was going by the SNES library but yea Final Fantasy VII is a lot worse

>> No.1572221

I REALLY REALLY want to love this game. It seems like art, in many aspects.

>> No.1572225
File: 191 KB, 647x863, 11312.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1572204
Is there a Jewish equivalent of Godwin's Law?

>> No.1572227

>>1572221
You needn't force yourself to like anything. If you don't, you don't. That simple.

>> No.1572245

>>1572221
If you want to love Earthbound, try reading this post: >>1571267

I take a little pride in what I wrote there. I think Earthbound is a FANTASTIC game. :)

>> No.1572257

>>1572148
No but I would advise you to actually play other games that gen in order to draw conclusions instead of being a whiny bitch

>> No.1572261

>>1572245
That was the worst post I've ever read. Thank you. You've turned me off of the game forever. If it can create faggot fanboys like you, I never, ever want to give it the chance to do that to me. Ew.

>> No.1572267

>>1572261
Very well. While either way, I still respect your opinion, even though I suggest not calling people names will net you more friends in the future.

Yeah, I'm civil like that. It's called being mature.

>> No.1572269

>>1571904
>It has a cult following and was reviewed poorly upon release.
>reviewed poorly upon release.
>upon release.
>1995

>> No.1572286

>>1572267
>>1572261

>this much mad
I hate this game too, so much so that I normally would hide it, but this exchange has been interesting to read.

>> No.1572294

>>1572286
I don't hate it. It's just meh.

>> No.1572301

>>1572261
>Letting other people turn you away from a game you may enjoy

>> No.1572327

It's a DQ clone alright, albeit an oldschool one where you dish a lot of damage and can also take a lot of damage, at least boss battles were over in minutes unlike newer psx rpgs where you have one million hp and the bosses have one million hp and everyone's slowly chapping away at each others health. I don't consider DQ's battle system something bad, simplistic maybe but if it ain't broken don't fix it.

>> No.1572338

>>1572327
No. The gameplay is entirely unique. You're wrong.

>> No.1572349

>>1572327
Even though I'm the guy who wrote this Earthbound-worship post >>1571267 I agree with you that Earthbound could indeed be considered a Dragon Quest clone.

>> No.1572353

>>1572349
see >>1572338

>> No.1572359

>>1572353
The post you suggested I read is one post above my own. I think I saw it, anon.

>> No.1572364

>>1572338
The main character in DQ1,2,3 all had healing and attack spells, the only thing unique about Ness was his overpowered screen clearing spell.
Ness does get incredibly powerful as the game goes on, it's somewhat unique.

>> No.1572389
File: 15 KB, 405x346, 1344041301227.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There seems to be a theme here on /vr/. Hating on old good games just because a lot of people like it and backing up the fact that they don't like it by simply saying "its overrated". There's a reason a lot of people like these games. Its because they're good.

There's nothing wrong with the game at all. The story is amazing and very much unique. Battles were interesting in that if you got struck by a fatal blow you could still pop off another hit before you die. The isometric graphics were very bright and colorful. Enemies were for the most part pretty unique. Being able to use your psi powers in the overworld to teleport was really neat. Dispatching weak enemies instantly without having to go into battle got rid of a lot of tediousness especially if you had to backtrack. The humor and pop culture references in the game were all pretty refreshing and funny. Grinding was almost non-existent because the pacing was spot on and you didn't get money from battles.

Of course its all a matter of opinion. You're free to hate it to your hearts content and continue flaunting your unpopular opinions pretending anyone gives a shit.

>> No.1572428

>>1572389
Don't reply, just hide.
It's probably some faggot from /v/ thinking having refined personal tastes in 20 year old videogames make him smarter or something.

>> No.1572431

>>1572389
You must have high tolerance for bullshit if you think the battle system is nothing short of tedious, artificially game-lenghtening filler.
It sure was fun tapping L to see RNG conjure some nice numbers onscreen.

>> No.1572436

>>1572389
>There's a reason a lot of people like these games. Its because they're good.

Are you seriously equating popular with good?

>> No.1572445

>>1572431
It's a staple of the genre, jrpgs are just not for you.

>> No.1572447

>>1572436
Yes. Also, Justin Beiber is the best singer ever and McDonald's sells the world's best hamburger.

>> No.1572450

>>1572389

People are not hating on Earthbound "just because a lot of people like it". People have been making points about the game's battle system and how in their opinion it really hampers the game. Just because you disagree with them, that doesn't mean you should rationalize their opinion by saying they only hate it because it's popular.

Also the rolling health meter was not used well at all IMO. It was much better used in Mother 3 because it went slower and thus was more strategic. In Earthbound is seems to barely play a role at all. Even if it did it wouldn't do much to make the combat much better or less tedious. The turn-based fighting is by far the worst part of the game - and also the part that takes up the most time.

>> No.1572452

>>1572447
>hating on quarter pounders
This is something I will not tolerate.

>> No.1572456

>>1572431
and wasn't it fun in <insert any other jrpg> when you had to individually select your entire parties actions and had no way of quickly fighting enemies or skipping the encounters entirely whilst still gaining xp?

it's less tedious than most, nigger.

>> No.1572461

>>1572456

That's why most JRPGs suck. Its one of the worst genres in the history of video games.

Still Earthbound's combat is a lot more basic than most others. And while it does have an interesting atmosphere, it's not a game that's really fun to explore the lore and marvel at the vistas. The music is decent but it doesn't match the swelling music of great JRPGs.

>> No.1572465

>>1572461
"Its" is the possessive of "it".
"It's" is a contraction of "it is".

>> No.1572468

>>1572456
>>1572461
There are games where fighting random encounters is fine, only taking a turn or a few turns to complete. Then there are others where the random battles take forever just due to the pacing, or random battles occur every few steps, which makes the game borderline unplayable.

A fine balance needs to be made. I really have to be in the mood for JRPGs but when I do I prefer ones with interesting or unique features.Earthbound is just too damn generic.

>> No.1572470

>>1572461
>really fun to explore the lore and marvel at the vistas
name another snes jrpg that has some fun lore to explore and nice vistas that one can marvel at, because i've yet to play one.

>> No.1572472

>>1570915
The real fools are the ones who paid over 200 for a cartridge. People like this >>1571589.

>> No.1572473

>>1572461
I think it's really cool that you got that out of your chest.
By the way I haven't played EB in years and don't really care much about it.

>> No.1572474

>>1572428
So it's ok to like things but it's not ok to hate things? If someone says for example that action 52 is bad I should assume that he is from /v/ and hide his post?

>> No.1572483

If you didnt play snes games growing up then earthbound will be a hard pill to swallow. parts of that game still freak me out cause it did when i was 10

>> No.1572485

>>1572468
People usually recommend Earthbound for the quirky humor and nostalgic setting, I've never seen anyone recommend it for the battle system.
I guess the story just didn't move you.

Also yeah, the cartridge is definitely not worth that much specially when you can get it on virtua console.

>> No.1572491

>>1572474
It's masochism to try to convince a stranger to like something, when the person has already made up his mind in the first place.
Also it's dumb to believe tastes are inherently good or bad and not completely subjective.

>> No.1572497

>>1572389
It's almost impossible to have legitimate conversations about popular games, because there's always this guy who just plugs his ears and shout LALALA YOU JUST HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S POPULAR

>There's a reason a lot of people like these games. Its because they're good.
Popularity is proof of wide appeal, not high quality.

>> No.1572504

>>1572470

Chrono Trigger was certainly more interesting and had some real moments of wonder, also incredible music.

>> No.1572506

>>1572497
Didn't earthbound bomb hard on release, despite Nintendo's aggressive marketing?

>> No.1572508

>>1572491
It's nice to voice your opinion I don't have see anything wrong there, but the whole thing "he hate something, he must be a troll from /v/ ignore him" its really stupid

>> No.1572510

>>1572504
/vr/ seems to think that's overrated too
jrpgs are kind of a product of its time, people who didn't grow up in the 90s just don't "get it"

>> No.1572513

>>1572508
Some the posts in this thread reek of trolling.
People are just nitpicking and trashing the game.

Also, I should probably hide and leave aswell.

>> No.1572515

>>1572504
>Chrono Trigger
>fun lore to explore
>vistas
no, that game does not have either, sorry. It's just another jrpg that has the exact same pitfalls earthbound has.

i like both, but i'm not blind to the fact that both suffer from the same tedious jrpg cliches.

>> No.1572516

>>1572497
Popular = good wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I was trying to make a point that you shouldn't hate it just because its popular. I admit I could have worded that better.

>> No.1572518

The music, the battle backgrounds, the enemy designs. Its all pleasing to look at.

>> No.1572521

>>1572510

I think people certainly do "get it". The combat in most JRPGs is just incredibly tedious. I don't have to accept it just because it was made way back when. I can play lots of older games like sidescrollers or schumps or adventure games and marvel at how great they are, yet in my opinion JRPGs are pretty much broken at their core. They almost always allot the most time to the least interesting and most tedious aspect of the game.

>> No.1572525

>>1572506
Shhh... Stop making sense.

>> No.1572531

>>1572521
The grinding is the most fun part of a JRPG. If you dont like turn based battle systems thats fine. Some people do. I dont find it tedius at all. In fact, trying for the sword of kings drop in the stonehenge base is one of the better parts of the game

>> No.1572532

if this game was totally re-imagined as Enix-style action RPG of the era, it would have been truly excellent.

otherwise it gets by on it's charm on nostalgia.

>> No.1572536

>>1572513
Well problably you are right, I try to think that everyone here tries to have a good disussion about retro game maybe I'm to optimistic

>> No.1572539

>>1572532
>Enix-style action RPG of the era
fit with translation errors, missing content and a cryptic save system?

yeah man shit would have been so tight

>> No.1572547

>yet another EB thread
Don't you people play any other JRPGs?

>> No.1572548

>>1572539
>cryptic save system
What game is that?

>> No.1572557

>>1572506
It gained a lot of popularity after initial release. I remember when you would get called a hipster if you liked Earthbound. Now it's so popular you get called a hipster if you DON'T like it.

>> No.1572571

>>1571317
I really am not good at console RPGs, I saw the game over screen like five times today >.>

>> No.1572576

>>1571415
that mushroom fucks me up all the goddamn time

>> No.1572589

>>1572557
I don't remember anyone bandying about the hipster label in 1995.

>> No.1572590
File: 8 KB, 480x360, fightchair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1571892
you are NOT talking shit about my niggas the Mr. Saturns.

>> No.1572596

>>1572531
oh is that where that is

shit I gotta go back

>> No.1572635

Whatever dudes, Earthbound sold me the second I got to beat up hippies with baseball bats. And, it just got progressively more awesome from that point on. You guys are starting to sound like the people from "The Stoic Club."

>> No.1572638

>you dont need to grind

Is that true? I remember having to grind to beat the first boss, the bully behind the arcade. I didn't think there was any way to beat him at the level you start out at

>> No.1572648

>>1572638
Not really. If you play through normally without running away or avoiding battles, you should be able to get through without grinding. Or, at least, without grinding too much.

>> No.1572658

>>1572515
- Chrono Trigger's storyline goes beyond teenagers saving the big bad by adding twists including time travel. Earthbound? ramp the stupidity up by instead of teenagers, have them be children instead and put some pop culture references we now consider as 'le epic meme'.
- Chrono Trigger's artwork was drawn by someone whose creation made a universal acknowledgement. Earthbound? like it was drawn by my 3-years-old nephew.
- Chrono Trigger has innovative positional combat system for an overly used turn-based, making it less tedious. Earthbound? Oh yeah, add a rolling counter! That's an ingenuity that surpasses Alexander Graham Bell.
- don't even let me compare their music

>> No.1572684

I loved jrpgs as a kid but I had never played chrono trigger or earthbound. I had heard a lot about both of them and tried to avoid them because I knew it would be disappointed. A few years ago I actually played chrono trigger and loved it, the characters were adorable and frog is now one of my favourite characters ever (so honorable). Earthbound on the other hand I tried to get into I made it as far as the second city before I got bored of it and gave up. Not saying one is better than the other I'm just giving my personal experience with the two games.

>> No.1572703
File: 482 KB, 789x765, 1396899591280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1572658
>Earthbound? like it was drawn by my 3-years-old nephew.

>> No.1572706

>>1572638
Yes! You have to grind in Earthbound. It indeed takes several levels to beat the bully behind the arcade and other bosses.

>> No.1572715
File: 22 KB, 341x589, hey who turned the stupid back on.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this fucking thread

>> No.1572717

>>1570915
Play Mother 3. Much better.

>> No.1572718

>>1572658
>Chrono Trigger's storyline goes beyond teenagers saving the big bad by adding twists including time travel.
Ooh, the tired out JRPG plot now has a TIME TRAVEL GIMMICK! So innovative.
>Chrono Trigger's artwork was drawn by someone whose creation made a universal acknowledgement.
This line doesn't make a lot of sense. That said, Toriyama is not by any means a great designer.
>Chrono Trigger has innovative positional combat system for an overly used turn-based, making it less tedious.
It still turn based, and once the gimmick wears thin, it's as tedious as any JRPG.
>music
Not like Chrono Trigger's was anything to write home about. Chrono Cross, on the other hand...

>> No.1572726

>>1570984
>For a ton of Americans it was their first RPG.
What the fuck are you talking about?
The game not only sold poorly on america but was also completely unheard about until some 5 or so years ago.
The only people that played this game before that are those that emulated it in the early 2000's because NES was on smash bros. and those that got it as a gift or some shit because NOBODY was gonna buy a cartridge with a golden flaming homosexual with rainbows on it's back , and I'm certain most of them left it to rot in some shelf until the boom happened.

>> No.1572732

>>1572726
I bought it week of release. So did my best friend. I wanted it cuz it looked awesome in magazines. I was let down, but only slightly. Not a bad game, but nor a great one.

>> No.1572735

>>1572658
>doesn't realize EarthBound is also about teenagers saving the world from an alien using time travel
>misappropriating "le epic meme"
>doesn't realize Toriyama drew the characters and not the actual graphics, has never seen EB's clay models
>one combat system is innovative by adding a tweak to FF's, the other isn't innovative for adding a tweak to DQ's
>not appreciating EB's music
I want some higher quality bait, dammit.

>> No.1572745

>>1572726
5 years ago people were already playing Mother 3. You're just an oblivious casual.

>NES was on smash bros
Yep.

>> No.1572751

>>1572717
I wish I could experience playing Mother 3 for the first time again.

>> No.1572789
File: 511 KB, 854x479, isthisniggaserious.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1572590
10/10.
I lost my shit!

>> No.1572813

>japanese man gets high and writes a script for a game
>steal gameplay from DQ and steal melodies from popular songs
>it sucks and doesn't sell well
>older crowd nostalgia over it and praise it over memories
>younger generation treat it like it's amazing to seem cool

Earthbound

>> No.1572818

So does anybody on /vr/ like JRPGs? Any time they come up people call all games in the genre inherently shit.

>>1572813
Sold well enough in japan to get a sequel. And shitting on something for stealing gameplay from DQ is silly since it was the basis for its genre, even when you discount that DQ was itself derivative of other games.

>> No.1572839

>>1572735
chrono trigger is the new waifu for snesters

just wait a year, next everyone will be saying terranigma is the be all and end all of jrpgs, specifically because it had an even less successful release.

>> No.1572841

>>1572818
I used to. Most of them haven't aged well, in that looking back they're way poorer written than I thought they were when I first played them. Many have really stilted, tedious gameplay, and the story doesn't deliver in a lot of cases. A lot of the magic is lost after you've played a certain number of them, because the vast majority tend to fall towards the same old tropes and cliches.

>> No.1572851

>>1572818
>So does anybody on /vr/ like JRPGs? Any time they come up people call all games in the genre inherently shit.

Protip: That's likely one or two shitposters each and every time and probably the same type of retard that used to try to push "objectively good" on everyone.

>> No.1572859

>>1572851
You'd like to think that sometimes, but I don't want to fall in the habit of labeling people who disagree with me as shitposters.

>> No.1572873

>>1572859
Well you don't have to label them anything. If anyone tries to tell you something you like is inherently or objectively bad, you [laughs internally] and scroll without responding.

>> No.1572881

>>1571137
I'd be fine with it if each item didn't take up it's own spot. You can keep the "12 items per character" limit, just let me see it as "Hamburgers x 6 + other shit" instead of "hamburger hamburger soundstone hamburger townmap bicycle hamburger".