[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 413 KB, 2510x1079, Final_Fantasy_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1560480 No.1560480 [Reply] [Original]

Let's have a good ol' fashioned FF appreciation thread! What is your favorite Fantasy? Favorite character and villain? Favorite track/OST? Favorite moment? Any kind of direction you want the series to go in?Your waifu/husbando?

>> No.1560497

V
Gilgamesh
FFVI Battle theme
Galuf going down swinging
Faris

>> No.1560506
File: 23 KB, 262x258, atmaweapon6-b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4 is definitely my top pick. Love the oldschool feel. Love how replayable it is, no stupid filler shit. Love the soundtrack. Love the graphics. I have been replaying it since I first discovered it and have yet to get tired.

Favorite character though would have to be Sabin from FF6. Not only is he a bro, but he's also insanely strong and you can do hadokens.

Favorite Villain is also from FF6. I like Atma's theme and like the fact that he looks like he's taken straight from an Amano painting. They really got the enemy designs down in 6.

Favorite track is once again from FF6. Decisive battle. Short and sweet and loops forever.

In terms of soundtracks, my top 3 FF games are all extremely good, but I think 7 edges out 4 and 6 when taken as a complete soundtrack. Its Uematsu's finest work.

Series kind of starting sucking after 7, though. So honestly Square should leave it to rest in peace. Though they won't, because foolish goyim and their money are soon parted.

>> No.1560625
File: 79 KB, 1464x804, every FF thread ever.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What is your favorite Fantasy?
V because it has the best gameplay of the old school FFs and I honestly can't stand the endless FMVs, romance subplots and 2deep4u stories in modern FFs anymore especially after seeing them so many times before.

>Favorite character and villain?
If we are completely ignoring stats and usefulness in battle Cyan is my fave character if not, Galuf. I guess Kefka is my fave villain but I'm not one of the "Kefka is the best villain evar becuz he destroyed teh world and had no real motivation for it!!!1!" retards, I like him because he doubles as a comic relief and because we see him gradually getting stronger from being the emperor's errant boy to killing espers to "destroying" the world.

>Favorite track/OST?
Fave OST is VIII's by far and I guess my fave track is FFVI's world map theme.

>Favorite moment?
Finally beating Cloud of Darkness after surviving Crystal Tower and the the boss rush leading up to her as it actually gives a sense of accomplishment that is absent from newer FFs.

>Any kind of direction you want the series to go in?
As someone who has been playing the FF games since the very first game I honestly believe they simply kill the series right now and never make any new FF games ever again. That way the series can at least have somewhat respectable death while it still has some dignity and respect left. However since that isn't going to happen (since any new entry in the series is able to sell with it's name alone no matter how shitty they are) I genuinely believe they should take a look at the very first games in the series and figure out what made the series so great to begin with. Let the environment do most of the talking instead of FMV cutscenes, reduce the amount of storytelling in favor of exploration, take out the unnecessary romance subplots, have a job system to increase the replay value of the games, etc... sometimes less truly is more.

>> No.1560662 [SPOILER] 
File: 990 KB, 1000x1000, 1398068842027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

6 followed closely by 9 and Tactics.

>Favorite character?
Toss up between Terra and Zidane

>Favorite villain?
Kefka, mostly because he's just entertaining. Final Fantasy has never really had any strong villains.

>Favorite track/OST?
All the games have such good music so I can't pick a favorite OST, but The Decisive Battle from FF6 is the best boss theme of all time.

>Favorite moment?
Too hard for me to pick, but here's a few:

Cecil becoming a Paladin
Galuf's death
Storming the Magitek Research Facility
Storming Shinra HQ
The attack on Alexandria
Tietra's death

I'm gonna go with what he said >>1560625
There's a reason why I'm more of a Dragon Quest fan then Final Fantasy. Too bad DQ is also getting dragged down by Square Enix.

>Your waifu/husbando?
Zidane

>> No.1560913

>>1560480

Were any other FF's released natively on PC than 7, 8 and the MMO's?

I played only the first two when they were on sale on Steam and liked both of them.

Final battles were pretty much as over-the-top spectacular as one would expect from Nipponese production, but my favourite moments were probably the more peaceful ones. Like Golden Saucer for FFVII or the peacetime stays at the Garden for FFVIII.

I don't waifu, but if I did, I liked Aeris more than anyone else personally.

>> No.1560924

my favorite is 7, mostly for nostalgia but I loved the way limit breaks and materia worked

plus you dont have to grind and keep warp/ropes on your person all the time

>> No.1560942

>>1560924
Do you have to grind in ANY FF?
I played through 1, 2 and 3 recently and I didn't really grind in any of them.

>> No.1560949

>>1560942
You have to grind in 8. The grind in 8 either involves grinding the card minigame or endlessly drawing spells. Fighting random encounters makes the game only harder.

>> No.1561004

>>1560480
My favorite final fantasy would have to be either FFIX or FF Tactics.

Favorite character is probably Delita, and favorite villain is either Wiegraf or Kuja.

Liberi fatali is my favorite track from FFVIII. Overall soundtrack would probably be FFVIII too.

I like traditional style play, so I wish it'd go back to turn based with control of all characters and traditional leveling.

>> No.1561070

>>1560480
FFVII was my first FF

FFVIII is my favorite and I've had a crush on Squall since I was 14.

>> No.1561082

>>1561070
are u a gril?

>> No.1561085

>>1560480

FFT was definitely my favorite, ive played through that game probably a dozen times at this point. i have a playthrough of 1.3 going right now but unfortunately its just not that fun, the creator seems to think that exploiting game mechanics makes a game interesting/fun.

7 would be a close 2nd.

never played any FF past 9, though.

8 gets an honorable mention as my least favorite. 9 would probably usurp 7 but the fucking random battles were just too fucking slow.

>> No.1561181

>>1560949

But you get loot from random encounters. Loot for crafting or magic extraction.

Or you can just cheat and edit save files.

>> No.1561235

- 9, was the first one I played, and it might not be the best story wise, it'll always hage a special spot on my shelf and in my heart
- marcus, he was a total bro, and balthier, classy as fuck (inb4 not /vr/)
- FF8 boss fight theme
- Fucking remake ff12 with less vaan faggotry
- steiner

>> No.1561238

>>1561235
I will never, ever, ever know why they thought Vaan as a protag was a good idea in any form.

did ANYBODY like Vaan?

>> No.1561259

>>1561238
Did Vaan even need to exist?

>> No.1561260

>>1561082
are u a boi?

>> No.1561295

>>1560480
VI
Character: Cecil or Locke. Villain? Golbez or Kefka.
>Favorite track/OST?
Track: Awakening FFVI or Succession of Witches FFVIII. OST: VI or X.
>Favorite moment?
Celes' suicide or escaping Figaro castle
>Any kind of direction you want the series to go in
Not shit.
>Your waifu/husbando?
Celes

>> No.1561365
File: 385 KB, 1280x787, tumblr_mkdlmv6riV1r0rt6no7_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1560506
Damn, Atma as a favorite villain, I've never heard that before, that's pretty cool!

My favorite has to VI, however V is a close runner-up. I just love everything about VI, the world, the characters, the story, it's the perfect Final Fantasy.

My favorite character is probably a tie between Galuf or Locke, both are endearing, fun and likeable while also being able to make you genuinely feel for them.

Favorite villain is Kefka, hands down. Dude seems silly and stupid at first, but easily becomes one of the most hate-able characters in Final Fantasy. Plus he wins, gotta give him points for that.

Favorite track is the Opening Theme from VI, but my favorite OST is V.

And as a direction I want the series to go in, I honestly just want them to stop mimicking western developers and catering to an audience of Otaku and make mature games again, and give their older stuff the remakes they deserve.

Oh, and Terra is my waifu

>> No.1561374

>>1560913
No, as far as I know VII and VIII were the only retro Final Fantasies released on PC, however Square Enix is most likely going to port IX to Steam sometime soon, like they did with VII and VIII last year.

>> No.1561380

>>1560949
Yeah, grinding in VIII is necessary to do anything because of the Draw/Card system, however it's easy only because you can spam Guardian Forces like a motherfucker.

>> No.1561381

>>1561374
Squareenix didn't port 7 and 8 to Steam, though. They released the decade+ old ports. Why would they go to the effort of actually creating a new port?

>> No.1561385

>>1561238
>>1561259
I have a friend here in college who never stops talking about how great FFXII is, always gushing over it, and he fucking loves Vaan's faggotry. I guess that if they took it out even some people would get upset.

>> No.1561387

>>1561381
Oh shit you're right. Well then forget it, Squeenix ain't doing shit for IX, just like they don't do shit for any other old FF. Well except for IV, they fucking love IV.

>> No.1561389

>>1561238
The audience of teenage girls that Squaresoft products are aimed at. He's the equivalent of a Western developer shoehorning in some random girl with huge tits.

>> No.1561402

I'm torn between III and V, so I'll go with III. I think I prefer the battle system without the active time stuff, actually. III was also my first, so nostalgia probably has something to do with it.

>> No.1561425

>>1560480
>main series
FF4
>spinoffs
Tactics series
the first Crystal Chronicles

>character
Tellah, if for anything his famous line

>villain
Mydia (FFXII DS)

>track
FF3 battle theme
Battle with Gilgamesh

>moment
getting access to the overworld again in ff4

>how to make the series not shit
they need to stop making the games look "good" (they don't) and also focus completely on gameplay because it's obvious they suck at character development.

>waifu
Agrias from FF Tactics, she's strong, loyal, and looks great in armo(u)r

>> No.1561521
File: 90 KB, 600x849, tifa_lockhart__by_vmbui-d289lfl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I do really like Final Fantasy VII, and I think its aged well from a story perspective, since most of its larger themes are actually even more prescient now than they were then.

I really do love how much is going on in the world of Final Fantasy VII. I don't think Squaresoft/Square-Enix ever got such density of themes again.

Despite there being better stories and better characters, the world of Final Fantasy VII has yet to be matched, and I think their decision to make the planet, not on sentient, but also a character in its own right was a great idea.

>> No.1561565

>>1560480
favorite was the one with the moon dungeon where you get the whale ship wasn't labeled right on the cartridge at the video store i rented it from so i only knew it was ff4 years later

favorite ost is ff9

>> No.1562106

Can you guys help me remember which Final Fantasy game I was playing a year or so ago? It's from pre-VII. All I remember is a room near the start and some guy teleported into it to steal a crystal, something about a dragon in a cave, and a little girl. There was maybe something about a cook in a castle. The last thing I remember is saving in a big cave system at a tent spot, but non of my save files match it. Am I confusing several FFs and/or other RPGs? Maybe I just deleted those save files and forgot.

>> No.1562123

Jesus...

This shit really does need its own board.

>> No.1562127

>>1562106
Final Fantasy IV (released on the SNES as Final Fantasy II).
The guy who stole the crystal is Cecil, the Dark Knight, the dragon is the Mist Dragon, the little girl is Rydia.

>> No.1562142

>>1562127
Thanks man, I guess I deleted the files because I already checked that one. I don't think I got far though so I'll just restart it.

>> No.1562179

>>1562123

>4 threads up on slowest moving board on 4chan
>halp we're being genocided by FFfags invasion!

>> No.1562349

What are the best versions of the early games? I'm thinking of pre-VII as they've all been released so many times and each one seems to have pros and cons.

>> No.1562420

>>1562123
Not sure if you been to /v/ in the last 3 years but let me give you a run down
>4 LOL threads
>7 daily smash bros threads since announced
>10 WII U IS TEH DED threads
>17 daily dark souls threads
>20 daily sony threads

Around E3 it goes full console warfare with thousands of shitpost threads a day

>> No.1562459

I've been playing Final Fantasy VI a lot lately. It's pretty easy with all the free spells and summons.

>> No.1562523

2j, but mostly for the game engine and open exploration. In fact, this is why I like the SaGa series over FF. FF2j feels more like a precursor to SaGa.
>Favorite character
Firion, Dissidia. It's interesting how they played on the flexibility of characters from FF2. Firion actually goes into battle lugging around every type of weapon there is, and he can even use all the conventional FF spells.
>Favorite villain?
Cloud of Darkness. Although there's no shortage of vapid, omnicidal villains who want to draw existence into a state of void, Cloud of Darkness manages to embrace nihilism in the purest absolute sense, to the point of not even exhibiting any kind of ego of her own. All she endeavors is destruction for destruction's sake. No reason, no justification. She is somehow the embodiment of destruction itself. Although this makes her the most one-dimensional villain ever, it's kind of intriguing to wonder why such a being exists in the first place.
Definitely not the direction it's headed right now. After FF12, every sequel feels like a fanfic grafted on top of the Kingdom Heart's engine. Just terrible.
>Your husbando?
Edge, that handsome womanizing ninja from FF4 :3

>> No.1562620
File: 70 KB, 500x400, tumblr_llzq6sIena1qjpg40o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1562349
Dawn of Souls for the GBA(which includes 1 and 2) is really good, as well as the PSP versions of I, II and IV. The Advance versions of IV, V and VI are good if you want extra content, but the GBA sound card couldn't really handle the soundtrack, and the colors for VI were muted. The DS versions of III and IV are also pretty good if you don't mind the 3D, and I know the DS version of IV adds more story.
The PS1 anthologies I've heard are hit or miss, and all the mobile ports are fucking shit.

All in all it just comes down to preference, if you like good graphics and sound I'd play the PSP/DS versions, but if you want extra stuff I'd recommend the GBA ports. If you can I'd definitely recommend playing them on their original console first.

>> No.1562673

>>1562620
Thanks. I think I'll go for the PSP versions, seems like the easiest option, especially considering they're all on PSN. Or just emulate the GBA versions, it's not as if there'd be any legit copies around now anyway.

>> No.1563432
File: 47 KB, 300x600, 1168018566242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1561238
>>1561259
As everyone probably knows nowadays FFXII was originally going to a dark tale with a mature main character seeking to unmake the betrayal that destroyed his life, obviously the character in question being Basch. Then Wada decided that the "target audience" couldn't relate with manly 36 year-old geezer like him so he forced the developers to come up with "more relatable" Vaan and Penelo to the game as protagonists. This why Vaan and Penelo in particular barely have anything to do with anything in FFXII storywise: there weren't originally supposed to be there at all. If only FFXII was made the way Matsuno originally visioned it...

>>1562123
I guess DOOM, Zelda and CRT threads needs their own board as well as there always threads about them up here?
However I have to say that if it was up to me making a thread about FFVII needing a remake would be a ban-worthy topic both on /vr/ and /v/. That shit has been discussed to death with the exact same arguments used for and against it for years.

>> No.1563438

>>1563432
>That shit has been discussed to death with the exact same arguments used for and against it for years.

So has half of the games /vr/ talks about. If you don't want to read a discussion, then don't.

>> No.1563446

>>1562673
Nice thing about PSP is that in, for example, FF4, you can play both the SNES original (via the chronicles port) or the PSP HD overhaul (via the complete collection). HD is cool, but you should really play the original first, it doesn't need a remake. It is just good enough that playing it again with new graphics is fun.

>> No.1563452

>>1562673
The PSP versions of each game is either the worst or one of the worst.

>> No.1563504

>>1563432
>>1561238
>>1561259
Look at the game you're playing. The main story is always got urgent pressing events going on. Ashe and Balthier and Basch are always eager to continue with the story. But despite all that, the game has an elderscrolls amount of sidequests and little of them have anything to do with the main plot.

Vaan and Penelo were Two street urchins who snuck their way into a gang of heroes and tricked them into putting their world saving quest on hold for a few weeks so Vaan could become a master guild hunter and find all sorts of treasures hidden around the world.

It's an amazing experience. I'm Dragging these hero's miles away from their destination to fight a scorpion in a mine, Penelo's casting Berserk on Balthier constantly to prevent him from thinking clearly. People are dying and I'm looking for a cockatrice that's harassing other cockatrice for a couple of potions.

If you don't think Vaan and Penelo were the best Heroes of any final fantasy, you're wrong.

>> No.1563674

>Favorites

Core titles would be IV, VII, X

Spin off titles would be Dissidia Duodecim and Crisis Core

Least favorite would be VIII

>character

Kain or Celes

>villain

Sephiroth or Kefka

>Track

Dancing Mad or Mount Gagazet

>OST

X

>favorite moment

whenever I finally got control of an airship

>Direction

I actually really enjoyed the battle system from XIII, even if it was paired with sub par story and characters. I'd like to see a FF that went back to a more fantasy, less sci-fi approach like earlier Fantasies, using that battle system and characters using old fashioned magic, weapons and armor... go back to a traditional fantasy world like I or IV (with current gen graphics)... have a SIMPLE hero vs. villain story without all the existential tripe... focus more on creating likable, relatable, fleshed out characters.

>> No.1563684

>Favourite
IX

>Favourite hero and villian
Vivi and Exdeath

>Fvourite track
Mount Gulug http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4wTOSDmTsA (Gagazet ain't shit)

>Favourite Moment
To many to chgoose from but I'm kinda on a IX role so I'd go with Steiner and Beatrix defending Alexandria

>Direction.
Just more extra content like we used to have during the PS1 era and less VA angst

>Waifu
Rikku

>> No.1563701

>fav
>fav hero
Zidane
>fav villain
Garland
>fav track
FF9 trance Kuja
fav moment: ff5, using holy sword with a magic knight to one hit one of the final bosses
direction: Something akin to ff9 without as much wangst and more tragedy and drama, but have the characters not sit around being all weepy, but rather have them get fucking angry and do something about it! I would also like to see the party at a higher level actually use that apocalyptic level of power they get to topple a government or two. I would also like to see the effect characters of that level of power would really have on the balance of power in a world. Maybe after they reach a certain level of power, god himself comes down to challenge the party for the right to govern the universe or something.

>waifu:
>you will never kiss rydia.

>> No.1563713
File: 76 KB, 800x710, 1266959845787.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>freya will never avenge the destruction of her people

>> No.1563718

>>1563684
>>1563674
I want them to properly use a setting again.

Despite the technology, Final Fantasy VI was a fantasy story in a fantasy setting.

Despite the magic, Final Fantasy VII was a science-fiction story in a science-fiction setting.

It seems like, in the recent games, they didn't know what they were doing, so they just made it look cool (even if they mostly look awful).

>> No.1563725

I, IV, and VI are the best

>> No.1563735

>>1563713

Look, I shouldn't bitch about something I'm not interested in, and I don't mean to ruin anyone's fun, but this is basically an animu thread.

I love Dragon Quest, but I've never seen a DQ thread like this.

Feel free to keep going if you like, but wouldn't this shit be welcomed at /a/ more readily?

I'm leaving now, I don't know. Sorry.

>> No.1563738

>>1563713

Well she does if you take her with you to kick Kujas teeth in.

I do this in a lot of games. The assualt on Midgar is the best example. I use Barret and Tida to fight te Turks, Cid and Cait Sith to fight the Proud Clod and Red XIII and vincent to fight Hojo all because of the personal reasons

>> No.1563739

>>1563735

>Woudln't this video game talk be more welcome on /a/

wow what a retARD

>> No.1563743

>>1563739

Because it's essentially an animu thread.

/a/ doesn't do games? Given all the games with anime themes, that would be difficult to accept for me.

>> No.1563747

>>1563743

No it isn't an Anime thread. You may aswell say Street fighter is an anime

Stop being a spastic

>> No.1563754
File: 680 KB, 1000x710, finalfantasyvi_scene_pinball_mandala_5_by_yoshitaka_amano[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

VI (It's still III to me)
Gogo / Exdeath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdGoENQNQ4
Son of a submariner
This will never happen, but if they did for Yoshitaka Amano what they did for Akira Toriyama with Dragon Quest VIII, and made a traditional JRPG that allowed me to explore a world that looked like one of his paintings, my brain would probably explode.

>> No.1564069

>>1563452
So you'd recommend the originals? I can't afford that man.

>> No.1564160
File: 620 B, 28x32, galuf-laugh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1563504

Hah. I like this interpretation.

I also generally liked the antagonists and overblown archaic English used by the judges and the whole setting of Ivalice. Opening up the world to explore and making it so big really gave the game a great adventure type of experience, it's a nice change from the usual overworld/dungeons setup.
I really don't understand what typical FF fans find so objectionable about the game. It's fun. Zodiac Job system is great too, shame there's no official release outside Japan.

>> No.1564238

>>1564069
They are good enough. Only negative thing about them is how easy they are. Oh, and the graphics, but that's a matter of preference (I think they look ok).

>> No.1564241

>>1564160
>find so objectionable

1)boring
2)no battle music (see: 1)
3)grindy MMO style quests (see: 1)

>> No.1564294

What is your favorite Fantasy?
VI, VII or X
Vivi or Sabin, as for villain I can't remember one I really like, Gau was worst
>Favorite track/OST?
A Fleeting Dream from X, and probably X for OST
>Favorite moment?
Walking through Zanarkand ruins first time, using GOAT Cid in VII, and countless moments in VI, loved the whole feel of the game
>Any kind of direction you want the series to go in
I'd say the best thing they could do are digital games on psn/steam/live, like the 2D games of the past, based around game play. Fuck the muh grafix they go for now
>Your waifu/husbando?
Probably Celes

>> No.1564303

funny how everyone loves celes.

me too btw.
but why?

>> No.1564340
File: 93 KB, 600x600, 72364022bbb0a47882e61f8420e3d7bb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1564303
Gee, I don't know.

It's because she's hot and isn't annoying

>> No.1564343

>>1564340
>Isn't annoying
>Acts like a schoolgirl on her first crush around Locke

>> No.1564346

>>1564343
Not being Selphie is good enough for most of us.

>> No.1564349

>>1564346
Not good enough for me.

>> No.1564358

>>1564340
>General of the Empire's military
>Walks around in a swimsuit
>Gets forced into singing an opera

Pretty much all FF's before FF8 were campy as fuck. FF8 somehow took a turn into SO SUPER SERIOUS.

FF7 was fucking excellent because it had such fucking stupid and gay parts in it.

>> No.1564359

>>1564358
>Gotta stop Meteor!
>Right after I breed these chocobos
>And gamble at Gold Saucer Arena
>Shit, do I have time to snowboard? Eh probably

>> No.1564384

>>1564358
>"Let's mosey."

>> No.1564407
File: 166 KB, 566x818, ChibiCeles2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1564340
>>1564358
Never could figure out where her pants went

>> No.1564410
File: 90 KB, 500x733, a32a57729165220ff0b19b9851ddc52f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1564346
>>1564343
Never annoyed me, bro. If anything, Terra is the annoying one, but even then its only for maybe 2 scenes in the entire game. Gotta love 16bit RPGs and their relative lack of "characters sit around and say inane shit for an hour" scenes.

>> No.1564414

>>1564407
Her in game sprite isn't really based on the concept art. Kind of like Terra's hair, they changed things so that they are more distinct.

>> No.1564452

>>1564414
I always thought they changed things to get virgin teenage boys interested, but fair enough.

>> No.1564460

>>1564452
Yeah, because tight leather pants are completely uninteresting.

>> No.1564461

You ever notice how much people nod in FFV?

>> No.1564464

>>1564452
I always thought everything in Final Fantasy was done to get virgin teenage boys interested?
At least not until they had enough polys to make bishies.

>>1564407
I like this though, I'm getting some east vs west vibes with the art style.

>> No.1564467
File: 894 KB, 1200x1600, 3355890516969d2852f2b293802cb409.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think the strength of FF6 is that it has the best characters. It isn't my favorite title (4 is), but every FF game I like is the best at something.

FF4 has the most straightforward gameplay, awesome for replaying
FF5 has the only great implementation of the class system in a main entry (3 has too many obsolete classes)
FF6 has the best characters
FF7 has the best music

>> No.1564478

>>1563504
shiiit

I'm gonna replay FF12

>> No.1564515

>>1564467
I love FF7's synth sound.

For some reason this always chokes me up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPvwBac6sMc

Just, the music, the stars, the end of the journey...

>> No.1564526

>>1564515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcEGFAaSpzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6GrZYE2il0

But really I could just link the entire thing, because there isn't a single bad track in FF7.

>> No.1564528

>>1564515
>For some reason
Nostalgia. It's because of nostalgia.

>> No.1564542

>>1564515
worst version of the prelude IMO
I can see that they were trying to match the theme of FF7 though
I preferred the sound on the PC version, because I had some kick ass soundfont that sounded way better than the PSX version for most tracks

>> No.1564551

>>1564542
The default soundfont for the PC version is not good at all. Sounds like those midi versions of video games you could find on the internet in the late 90s.

>> No.1564554

>>1561259
>Did Vaan even need to exist?
No, nor was he supposed to. It's common knowledge that it was corporate meddling. The people who later shat out FFXIII were the ones fagging up FFXII until Matsuno fucking left the whole fucking industry for ten fucking years. They literally are cultural criminals.

>>1563504
I have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.1564568

First, FFVII because it was the most epic and made the whole world know about how good was the saga. Best villain. Best music.

Second, FFIX because it has the most balanced mix between "old FF" and "neo FF", and while still an imperfect game, the next epic one to VII. The battle system may be a simplified, and it's worse than FFVII in this area, but way better than the horrible Junction system of FFVIII. Pretty good music. Also, and finally, best art and very good characters.

Third, FFIV because is the best of old FF saga and has very good characters. The battle system is solid.

>> No.1564641

I think FFVI and FFVII are the best of the series, but my favorite is VIII

My favorite character...Ugh, it's hard to say, FF always has great characters but i think is Squall (I know, I know, emo protagonist ever, but i really enjoyed watching how he's grown up like a character)
Kefka is the most wicked villian in the saga.

>Favorite track/OST
In my opinion FFIX have the best Ost

>Favorite moment?
Celes suicide / Laguna's Flashbacks / Final battle against Exdeath / Cloud cross-dressing/ Yuna's wedding / FFVI Phantom Train

I don't know...Uh, FFVI decent remake?

>Your waifu/husbando?
Celes too.

>> No.1564656

>>1564160
I honestly found that the world felt really small. Sure it took a while to traipse across it, but you don't really get to go anywhere. You have a pair of superpower countries for neighbours and you only visit like 1% of one of them and the other one basically doesn't exist.

>> No.1564670

I half love half hate the series. I adore the design, music, direction, and plot of many of the games, with the original, IX and IV being my favorites. But I really prefer open combat to turn based.
all that being said, anyone played bravely default? It reminds me quite a bit of ffv, but tue animations and plot are.alright. My only fault.regarding it is, quite the opposite of the final fantasy series, its got a lot of Christian undertones in it. They seem really obviously placed to me, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

>> No.1564843

Best character = Gau

>> No.1564889
File: 10 KB, 160x315, ffvi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1560480
Fave? VI
Character? Edgar. He rigs it so he runs shit AND gets the bitches
Villan? Kefka. Dude revives himself off his own HATE alone
Track? That entire dancing mad symphony thru the inferno
OST? VI or VII
Moment? The final battles up to and including Kefka (dick related) / The headless Jenova escapes / Shadow and the statues
Direction? Fuck the direction its been going and give us less linear areas & progression systems. Flying around the world used to be cool too
Last? Prob Terra "Is it because of my... abilities?" And i dunno but Stella looks like shes gonna be a heart breaker.

Random? Does anyone know if the sounds used for singing in the opera scene in VI match up to anything? like the "maria will finally have to become my queen / it is a duel" part. do the sounds match notes in japanese translation or is it latin?

>> No.1564986
File: 130 KB, 400x436, 1377568142804.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Favorite FF
VIII. I always enjoyed the junction system, it required you to balance spellcasting with armory, which was a challenge I enjoyed. I don't really see why everyone hates it so much.
>Favorite Character/Villain
Character would have to be Vivi, I like how he deals with the struggles of not knowing his origins, and the scene with Zidane at the summoner village was cute.
Villain is Kuja. Something about his evil being fueled by his own fear of dying comes off as this weird mix of fear and coldness, gives him some interesting character depth imo.
>Favorite Track/OST
Love Grows from FFVIII, FF9 for best soundtrack.
>Favorite Moment
When Squall saves Rinoa in space.
>Direction
Just get away from this futuristic shit. In my opinion we need more classic fantasy and less sci-fi. Also return to the elements that made the old games great, which was how the adventure grew around you, rather than being over-scripted to the point of feeling bland.
>Husbando
I would tenderly cuddle Auron any day.

>> No.1565075

>>1564889
>grolious nihongo or dead-as-Stephen-Hawking's-everything latin

Probably Italian. The one song that's been recorded with lyrics is Celes' bit and even its title is in Italian (let alone the actual lyrics themselves).

>> No.1565083
File: 386 KB, 733x1000, AmanoCrusader1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1564889
Also: That balance and ruin oc remix album is pretty tasty if you liked the music in 6

>> No.1565138

>>1565075
graci

>> No.1565157

>>1565138
You mean "grazie," Anon. I don't know what language "graci" is from but it sure ain't mine.

>> No.1565165

It's not retro, but my favorite Final Fantasy is 12.

Favorite character is Locke Cole

Favorite villain is Ex-Death for hilarity

Favorite track is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CMTXyExkeI

I don't really pay attention to the FF series anymore

Also my waifu is Rosa. She's reliable and sensible.

>> No.1565174

>>1565165
>It's not retro

Then don't mention it.

>> No.1565183

>>1565174
Then I'd be disingenuous.

>> No.1565185

>>1565174
No need to be a dick, man.

>> No.1565209
File: 402 KB, 1024x724, amano.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1564460
>>1564464
Yeah see I'm one of those unbelievable faggots that thought the art direction of the early FFs was the most compelling thing about them.

>> No.1565347
File: 48 KB, 627x626, 1392145053202.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1563735

>> No.1565363

>>1565347

It really wasn't.

Not that it matters.

>> No.1565378

God Tier:
Tactics

High Tier:
VI

Mid Tier:
VII
V
IX
IV

Low Tier:
III
I
VIII
II

Shit Tier:
Mystic Quest

>> No.1565660

>>1563432
>I'm Captain Basch from Dalmasca!
Now that makes all the sense in the world

>> No.1565716
File: 451 KB, 2024x2049, two women friends gustav klimt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1565209
Agreed, I've mentioned before that Amano's work looks like bizzaro-world Gustav Klimt wherein he left Austria and moved to Kyoto to attend a prestigious High School so he can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!
Pic related: it's Two Women Friends by Klimt. If Amano was not influenced heavily by Klimt, I'd be rather surprised.

>> No.1565901

>Favorite FF
FFVII. Cliche, sure, but I think it's considered to be the best for a reason. It's a fucking brilliant game, and I think it's a masterpiece. Unfortunately, they tried too hard with the games that came after it, and it's the last game I consider good in the series.
>Favorite Character
If we're specifically talking about how they are in the games, then Cloud. But if we take Advent Children into account, then my favorite character is Terra, and favorite villain is Kefka.
>Favorite Track/OST
Dancing Mad is probably my favorite FF piece, but my favorite OST is definitely VII's. Yeah, I'm biased, whatever. VI and VII are among the greatest games of all time, sue me.
>Favorite moment
Cross dressing in order to get into that brothel.
It was so fucking absurd for a game at that time that I couldn't help but love it. I always really enjoyed how FFVII didn't take itself seriously, yet managed to convey the message that it wanted to.
>What direction d'you want FF to go in?
I want it to fucking end already. I'm so fucking tired of seeing all of these games trying to ride off of VI's and VII's success. It's almost become the Sonic of JRPG's. I definitely don't want to see a remake of VII, because it's either going to be like the VI remake on iOS, or it's going to be "Advent Children" styled, we're going to get a edgelord "woe is me" angsty Cloud, and all of the things that make FFVII a memorable experience will likely be changed or removed.

Final Fantasy needs to truly be a final fantasy and fucking end.

>> No.1565903

>>1565901
FFVII is the shit. Its not my favorite, but its up there. Haters still have the teenage fanboys on their minds, when those kids grew up ages ago and the bitter haters are still around.

Its just FF6 with a graphical overhaul. Hating it for anything other than superficial reasons while liking 6 is silly.

>> No.1566072

>>1565903
FF7 was FF6 if you replaced its aspects with a shit cast, horrible art style, inferior audio quality that didn't even utilize CD, and a retarded plot.

There's a reason people name it along with OoT as most overrated games of all time.

>> No.1566093

>>1566072
Awesome post, anonymous. I just upvoted you. You really put some thought-provoking ideas forward and really changed the way I think, not only about Final Fantasy 7, but about life in general.

>> No.1566109

>>1566072
>inferior audio quality
FFVII has better audio quality (in terms of sample rate and length) than any SNES game despite having low audio quality for a PS1 game.

>> No.1566121

>>1560942
I find myself grinding in VI in the early game. Nothing serious, just 10 minutes here and there. Once the party regroups in Narsh though you're ridiculously overpowered.

>> No.1566123

>>1564554
>No, nor was he supposed to. It's common knowledge that it was corporate meddling. The people who later shat out FFXIII were the ones fagging up FFXII until Matsuno fucking left the whole fucking industry for ten fucking years. They literally are cultural criminals.

Nah, he was actually one of the earliest designed characters. Of course, he was meant to be the MC the way he was set up. Even Reks would've made more sense.

>> No.1566125

>>1564160
>I really don't understand what typical FF fans find so objectionable about the game. It's fun.

Majority of them came from FF10 which is pretty much a diametrical opposite of FF12. Kinda similar to FF7 and FF9.

>> No.1566126
File: 213 KB, 635x914, Amano_FF1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1565209
I love me some Amano

>> No.1566130

>>1564160
I really wonder how FFXII's script works in Japanese without the amazing translation and localization. It's well known that devs themselves prefer the English VA in the game.

>> No.1566131

>>1563432
That's not entirely true. Vaan and Penelo weren't designed to replace Basch. They were always part of the story. It's just that they ended up being introduced much earlier than originally intended. The story still starts out with Basch and he still plays a bigger role in the overall plot.

>> No.1566260 [DELETED] 
File: 68 KB, 620x465, 188608-10954111PmvHIRLRsu_fs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I enjoyed FFVII more than any FF game, BUT, mMy vote goes to the most underrated Final Fantasy, FF IX - a summation of everything that players have enjoyed about the past ten years of Final Fantasy games. As the series' last game on the PlayStation, Sakaguchi envisioned a "reflection" on the older titles of the series. Leading up to its release, Sakaguchi called Final Fantasy IX his favorite Final Fantasy game as "it's closest to [his] ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be". It has many flaws, but it's still to the date the best "modern" "classic" Final Fantasy.

>> No.1566263
File: 68 KB, 620x465, 188608-10954111PmvHIRLRsu_fs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I enjoyed FFVII more than any other Final Fantasy game, but- My vote goes to the most underrated Final Fantasy, FF IX - a summation of everything that players have enjoyed about the past ten years of Final Fantasy games. As the series' last game on the PlayStation, Sakaguchi envisioned a "reflection" on the older titles of the series. Leading up to its release, Sakaguchi called Final Fantasy IX his favorite Final Fantasy game as "it's closest to [his] ideal view of what Final Fantasy should be". It has many flaws, but it's still to the date the best "modern" "classic" Final Fantasy.

>> No.1566312
File: 45 KB, 220x221, ...whatever.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone else find VIII as humorous as I do?

>> No.1566345

>>1566312

Certainly not intentionally.

>> No.1566350

Overall, IV is my favorite. I particularly liked the GBA port for opening up the endgame by allowing free choice of party members and adding extra quests. I recognize that the gameplay in any version is hardly deep or strategic. Since when have JRPGs been anything other than 'A' mashing fests, anyhow?

So, yeah, IV. It's just a great fantasy adventure with some sci-fi twists, which is pretty much what the FF series is all about. Knights, wizards, elemental evils, ancient robots, mad scientists, underground worlds, spaceships, wizard-knights from the moon... great tastes that taste great together.

Cecil's awesome. Kain's awesome. Rydia's awesome. Tellah's awesome. Golbez is awesome. Zeromus is awesome, too. The dude is the living embodiment of hate. He was fucking up everyone's day and he would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and your Bahamut.

It's got a few great tracks, too. In particular, my favorite is the theme of the Four Fiends.

Adult Rydia is mai waifu. (This is 4chan, so I feel like I need to emphasize that I'm into her adult self.) She's so pretty and strong and determined and green my my favorite color~~~

>> No.1566375
File: 122 KB, 640x957, q4WAvmy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566312
I find Squall facepalming all the time humorous and all the years I have wasted on 4chan has given all the GF discussion in the game a meaning it shouldn't have.

>> No.1568094

>>1566130
>It's well known that devs themselves prefer the English VA in the game.
Is that so?

>> No.1569882

>>1560480
7, followed by 9. 3 is pretty good imo

>Favorite Character and Villain
Cid Highwind. Villain would Be Kefka.

>Favorite Track
Birth of a God and the boss theme from 7/8

>Favorite Moment
Parachuting back into Midgar. I just love that city.

it needs to die before SE completely runs it into the ground

>waifu/Husbando

can I have more than one?

>> No.1570414

>Can I have more than one?
No it's disgusting.

>> No.1570426

Whenever I try to play all the final fantasies I get stuck at 2.
It's really weird.

>> No.1570713

>>1570426
Why are you getting stuck on it?

>> No.1570758

>>1570713
People can't into SaGa style systems.

>> No.1570778

>>1570758
I'm hoping he'll provide some specifics, I played through 2 recently and I might be able to give him some pointers

>> No.1570852

Favorite : VII
It's all 7 for me, but almost every game i considered to be great from Cecil, to final fantasy 10.

>> No.1570883

>>1566126

Looks great

>> No.1571758

>>1565378
Excuse me, but there is a Tactics' PAL version?

>> No.1571763

>>1566126
this art comes inside final fantasy origins in Europe

>> No.1571767

>>1560480
My favorite Final Fantasy is probably 4, but I think 6 is the best.

>> No.1571836

>>1571758
Nope, only the PSP port got a release in Europe.

>> No.1571848

>>1570778
I think I probably just need a walkthrough.
It seems like it's really easy to wander into the wrong place and get owned.

>> No.1571936

>>1560480
Duke Nukem invades the Final Fantasy IV verse, obliterates everyone and everything with his guns, saves the world while simultaneously taking it over.

Little Mac boxes God Kefka in the FFVI verse, saves the world. He knocked out Mike Tyson so he'd be way OP compared to Kefka.

>> No.1571947

>>1566121
Grinding before getting your summons? Dude are you high you should try running whenever possible so you maximize your stat gains. I'd spend a few levels on speed and HP for Terra, speed and vigor for Locke, and used genji glove and offering. I never converted Odin into Raiden because you lose your speed bonus. Did anyone use Umaro? Didn't think so neither did I.

>> No.1572331

This thread reminded me that I lent my FFVI to a girl I was friends with. I called her house to know if I could have it back sometime later, and his brother told me she committed suicide.

It was fucking weird.

>> No.1573080
File: 158 KB, 646x873, Final.Fantasy.V.full.1386641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgrNyrAv3g

Best fucking OST ever.

>> No.1573220

I think I figured out why I don't like FF5 that much. The story doesn't have any real political elements. It's pretty much just a straight shot to ExDeath, which is probably why the characters feel so simplistic and overly peppy.

>> No.1573260

>>1560480
Mainline is V and II for spinoffs it's FFTA and Echoes of Time/Ring of Fates.
Favourite character would have to be Sazh or Cecil and for favourite villain Marche or X-Death.
Favourite track is Gapra Whitewood or Battle Scene 2.
It would be nice if the series went back to it's roots something like as long as it has the job system and doesn't go to shit like BD.

>> No.1573373

>>1560480
V and XII
>character/villain
dunno
>Tracks
most FFV OST ( http://youtu.be/VmLK1J8ac3Y
and the final boss themes, especially V, VI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uc_TuNFhcI
and boss theme for XII http://youtu.be/Bh0RIp209zw?t=15m35s
bitchfu: Lilu

>> No.1573375

>>1573373
i mean Lulu

>> No.1573375,1 [INTERNAL] 

MY NAME IS Debra lopes FROM Russian...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERY BODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE Infected WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 6 WEEKS. ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DON'T KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND A LOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 MONTHS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS I HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
Love Spells
Luck, Money Spells
Health, Well Being
Protection, Healing
Curses, Hex, Breakups
NEW! Combo Spells
High Priestess Spells
Vampire Spells
Authentic Voodoo Spells
Custom, Other Spells
Business spells
Health/Healing spells
Curse removal
Job spells
Healing from all kind of diseases
Love binding
Barrenness(need a child)
Need love
Lottery Spells
Promotions
Success
Money rituals
winning court case
Divorce spells
Low sperm count
Infertility in women
Breast enlargement/reduction
Penis enlargement/reduction

YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE on his website: www.ojukwulovespell.webs.com or email him (DR.OJUKWUTELLERSPELL@OUTLOOK.COM

>> No.1573375,2 [INTERNAL] 

>>1573375,1
I've got a friend with HIV, his name is "janny," I'll have him get in touch with you.