[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 253 KB, 300x452, Resident_Evil_1_cover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1527493 No.1527493[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

One of my friends has been pestering me to play Resident Evil, and now that I'm nearly finished Cryostasis I might as well give it a shot.

Should I install the PC port, or just emulate the original Playstation version?

>> No.1527515 [DELETED] 

> actually caring about RE

kek

>> No.1527519

Play the Gamecube remake. It's a truly exceptional game and it's a damn shame the series had already gone in such a different direction that it sold poorly... This is a point that I was going to make in the other Resident Evil thread but I didn't want to make a long argument that would very likely get reported by a certain namefag and then deleted.

See, this namefag for some reason holds up Resident Evil 3 as the height of the series as it is his arbitrary opinion that it is for some reason the best combination of traditional Resident Evil style tension/resource management with action.

Most of us feel that for the series to have moved in the action direction was the worst thing that ever happened to it, with the wretched modern games as proof positive of this.

This namefag also loves to criticize RE2 for the very reason it's most of our favorite, because it refined and intensified a winning formula. So what that the RPD station resembles a gothic mansion. I'm pretty sure it's in New England so maybe it was built in the Victorian era. Our courthouse in my town is gothic as fuck.

This leads me back to REmake on GCN. The tragedy is that by the time of its release, the series was already boned and people weren't looking for that experience (or the RE:0 experience) out of Resident Evil. By RE:3, Konami was already picking up the reigns of real horror games with Silent Hill and sadly, today there's little innovation being done in horror. Dead Space is about as innovative as it gets without taking the action cop-out. Silent Hill and Alone in the Dark games have become formulaic ergo less frightening.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say about it and hopefully my Anonymous opinion will remain undeleted despite my disagreement with "the expert".

tl;dr - OPs first survival horror game should DEFINITELY be Resident Evil for Gamecube - then join us in our lament at there being no Gamecube Resident Evil 2

>> No.1527528

>>1527519
Great fucking post, right here...one thing though:

>So what that the RPD station resembles a gothic mansion. I'm pretty sure it's in New England so maybe it was built in the Victorian era. Our courthouse in my town is gothic as fuck.

Raccoon City is supposedly in the Midwest. I've always attributed the eccentric architecture and city planning to the Japanese influence.

>> No.1527536

>>1527493
>I might as well give it a shot.
Sure, Its a fantastic game. If you're looking for the original i'd suggest the ps1 directors cut. Other alternative is the fantastic NintendoDS port. You should also check out Resi2 and CV.

>>1527519
>Play the Gamecube remake.
Great game. Not /vr/ unfortunately so i cant recommend it as it's a complete remake and not a port.

>> No.1527549

Also, let me address another complaint preemptively. "Why are there secret passages and weird object locks in a police station?" I'm not going to lay out a bunch of spoilers, but back in the day this is exactly the kind of question that we held in the back of our minds and contributed to the weird and creepy feeling we got. These locations, and even more the RPD than the mansion, were everyday type places (a theme further intensified by SH) that were mysterious and threatening just below the surface - another factor that was intensified in SH.

I don't fucking want to run around, guns blazing finding fucking keycards to open security doors in industrial facilities or at least not until I've been sufficiently convinced of my own body's frailty and felt the true danger.

I honestly think that modern gamers for the most part are looking for a simple power fantasy with a skill challenge that's appropriate for their own personal level. Survival horror games were not supposed to be about that. If we wanted that back then we'd have just played Doom. We wanted to be afraid - to feel like we were trapped in a situation we were unprepared for and only by remaining calm despite every stimulus trying to trigger us to panic could we survive.

Maybe the games and even the genre as a whole is just to dated for it to work right anymore. Maybe even if people play alone at night with no sound but the game, maybe the modern graphics reveal too much and the 90s graphics don't suspend disbelief like they did.

If that's truly the case, then I count myself very lucky to have been there at the right age in the right time to enjoy them the way they were most enjoyable and I can only hope some people today might find some way to enjoy them or modern interpretations of the horror genre,the same way.

>> No.1527554

>>1527519

I've always been of the opinion that one should play the original game before the remake, but maybe it's the other way around here.

Then again, I dunno if my PC could handle the Dolphin emulator...

>> No.1527551

The PC port is the best in terms of visuals, however, good fucking luck getting it to run at proper speed! Give it a try though, depending on your OS and on your computer, it might by chance play at regular speed, but in most cases it will be on steroids.

If that doesn't work, either play the PS1 or Saturn version. Saturn version doesn't have autoaim.

Don't play the DS version on a first playthrough. It's a great port but it's not the classic experience even when playing the "original" game on it; as you'll have enhanced controls and, all new 3D models and different (smarter) zombie AI, it plays quite differently.

>> No.1527560

>>1527528
Well our gothic as fuck courthouse is in Ohio but I think that's about as far West as any significant structures were built during the Victorian era but I could be wrong.

The game doesn't have to make sense at every deeply analytical level - it just has to "work" enough for us to suspend our disbelief. That's another different thing about the 90s - we were still more willing to tolerate the Japanese interpretation of our American lifestyle. We even enjoyed it. There wasn't enough of it for any of us to be legitimate weeaboos back then even if we were snapping up every morsel we could get.

>>1527536
I think remakes are still considered /vr/ but I'm not sure. Maybe I should have spoilered it. I'm paranoid as hell about having my posts deleted in survival horror threads but at least they'll remain in the archive.

>> No.1527563

>>1527549
>maybe the modern graphics reveal too much and the 90s graphics don't suspend disbelief like they did.

I've always hated gore, but was never put off by anything in the original Resident Evil games as a kid...imagine how gross some of that shit would be with 2014 graphics though...even if it were competently made, which we all know is never happening for this series ever again.

>> No.1527565

>>1527554
Well, it really depends on you as a player. The REmake is a great great game and it really delivers but it isn't 100% faithful to the originsl, of course.

If you feel like you can enjoy the aesthetic of the originsl then by all means go for it. Like NESfag said, you can even get old enough versions that you don't get autolock which really cranks up the challenge and tension. Without that, you almost have to let enemies get quite close to you before firing to avoid ammo wasting and that pain of "Do I want to risk an ammo deficit or a health deficit" is a classic choice to have to make when the pressure is on and a hungry zombie is right in your face or a Hunter is about to remove your head

>> No.1527569

>>1527563
I dunno, Man I was 18 when Resident Evil came out and plenty of things that happened had a variety of interesting effects on my stomach to the point I would take smoke breaks and get back to reality.

>> No.1527576

>>1527560
>That's another different thing about the 90s - we were still more willing to tolerate the Japanese interpretation of our American lifestyle. We even enjoyed it. There wasn't enough of it for any of us to be legitimate weeaboos back then even if we were snapping up every morsel we could get.

Excellent observation. Never realized at the time how much Japanese shit I loved as a child...

>> No.1527583

>>1527576
The Japanese really know how to market to kids. Adolescents, too.

>> No.1527581

>>1527569
Examples? I remember being plenty scared, never really grossed out though...and I've always been pretty sensitive to that stuff.

>> No.1527593

>>1527581
Best example is just BOOM decapitated. Man that was scary for a monster to be able to do that. Of course those dogs coming through that window but that's just a cinematic device. I didn't particularly like the idea becoming a Jill sandwich either. Even that first zombie tearing Kenneth's head off or the crows eating Bazooka Joe's eyeballs, even the way the camera pans around your bleeding body for the Game Over screen, sometimes being feeding frenzied is disturbing.

>> No.1527602

>>1527569
>>1527581
RE is not about the gore anyway. Gore is just a catalyst for adrenaline, and when you start feeling adrenaline the horror factor is dropped and replaced with race for survival, which isn't scary at all (because it's not a lucid experience).
RE was about injecting horror in the most peaceful of situations. The game was constantly reminding you you were trapped in the most lethal environment, where you weren't safe anywhere, but it would also give you plenty of places to relax. I mean little areas where you knew you were safe because they were clean. But you know you weren't really 'relaxing' - you were just temporarily avoiding the unavoidable. The undead were just beyond that door, and you knew you'd have no chance.
That's what RE was for me. Building fear in the safest of places.

>> No.1527607

>>1527536
>fantastic NintendoDS port
My favourite version of Resident Evil.

>> No.1527619

>>1527602
I agree. Like I said, part of it's about tempting you to give into panic, or an adrenaline fueled race for survival, and then punishing you for it if it goes on for more than two seconds in an emergency. Starting with Resident Evil 3 you were no longer punished for it, it was an expected part of the experience and that was the first steps onto the slippery slope of it going to shit.

>> No.1527762

>>1527619
Do you mean punishing you for staying on low health for too long?

>> No.1527770

>>1527762
>either
No I mean punishing you for fleeing the frying pan into the fire. It's true that, with experience, avoiding zombies is the right thing to do but if a new player panics he will corner himself real fast thanks to the confined spaces and unforgiving camera angles and enemy placement.

>> No.1527774

>>1527770
No idea where my reply box picked up that green text.

>> No.1527805

>>1527619
Really? In 3? Did you play in easy mode or something?

>> No.1527851

>>1527619
>>1527805
I remember running low on everything constantly in Normal mode.

Maybe I just sucked though.

>> No.1527860

>>1527805
No, 3 is where it started to be about gunblazing action. Thanks but no thanks.

>> No.1527871

>>1527860
Except it wasn't. At all. Did you even play it?

>> No.1527873

>>1527860
>No, 3 is where it started to be about gunblazing action.

I still haven't played the classics, but I played Resident Evil 4 and I remember that everytime I got to the final boss I would have enough ammo to blaze him twice.

>> No.1527876

>>1527860
I think you mean 2.

>> No.1527881
File: 277 KB, 500x281, FU.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527876
>I think you mean 2.

>> No.1527889

>>1527519
>Dead Space is about as innovative as it gets without taking the action cop-out.
Dead Space is basically patterned off of Resident Evil 4 though, and they're both action-oriented with some scares.

>> No.1527895

>>1527889

Except RE 4 didn't take itself too seriously, whereas Dead Space was basically just a big gorefest.

>> No.1527897

REmake isn't retro and shouldn't be considered.

Play the original or bust.

>> No.1527903

>>1527897
Both are great...the original trilogy should be played before bothering with REmake though, in my opinion.

>> No.1527908

>>1527770
RE3's problem is the ammo over-abundance but it has its moments with Nemesis if you don't equip yourself well you may lose the game. Hunters are even more dangerous especially in the hospital's narrow corridors. You can try limiting yourself to the powder, though maligned for some reason, and practice dodging makes a great experience. Also, the live selection was a real tension the first few times I played, after I knew I'm going to be pursued by Nemesis the whole game gave me premonitions about how those options may affect my progress.

>>1527549
I prefer the old graphics for some reason. I even consider most monsters in 3D as the definitive concept over the 2D; the 2D background and locked angles play a big part here I think.

>>1527860
The problem is with the final boss. If you emptied your ammo on Nemesis in the clock tower and in the acid chamber you'll still have enough to easily kill him, in fact, you may not need any ammo at all.

Overall, I think they wanted RE3 to be memorable by not making it obtuse, on the other hand they weighed the fast paced escape over survival (I wonder what other option they might have) with a militaristic motif which might be the reason why people impugn its authenticity. But I have to say that it had its many moments.

>> No.1527928

>>1527895
"No, Dead Space, YOU'RE small time."

>> No.1527964

>>1527903
>Both are great
Not really, the REmake is just a throwaway brown'n'grey bastardization.

>> No.1527967

>>1527964
I don't think you've even played it? What was bastardized about it exactly?

I say this as someone who prefers the original RE1

>> No.1527976

>>1527964
>brown'n'grey bastardization

This perfectly articulates how I felt about certain parts of the game...still disagree with you about it's overall worth though.

>> No.1527993

>>1527967
>I don't think you've even played it?
Your punctuation is weird. Anyway, regardless of what you think, I've played it. It's an unnecessary, faceless remake that's the definition of style over substance.

>> No.1527997

>>1527993
Can you actually use some specific criticisms?

>> No.1527998

>>1527993
>Your punctuation is weird
Huh?
You mean grammar?
>I don't think you've even played it?
>I don't think you've ever played it?

>> No.1528001

>>1527997
Not him, but I can definitely say the aesthetic was...off. Didn't "feel" like Resident Evil in a lot of ways. Doesn't necessarily make it bad game though.

>> No.1528003

>>1527997
I used to when /vr/ was new. We've exchanged screenshots and discussed whether the original's vivid and original palette or the REmake's high-res pre-rendereds were better. I can't whip it all out in every single RE thread, though.

Play both games. See how colourful RE is. See how intentionally comedic it is. Then play the REmake. See how grey and droll it is, how seriously it takes it's own stupid shit and how flat it falls as a result.

>> No.1528004

>>1527998
Wait.
>?

>> No.1528009

So was the Saturn port anything special? I know it added new enemies.

>> No.1528016

>>1528003
I've played both. I'm talking about gameplay reasons. If you think the aesthetics are fine, then that's okay, but your point about it taking itself seriously doesn't jive with me given that's not really a gameplay concern.

>> No.1528018

>>1528009
I know nothing except it got a battle mode minigame.

>> No.1528032

>>1528003
I think you should read about the development of RE1, because they did a lot of stuff in the first game because they thought it was cool, not funny. The original VAs were random fucks they found in Japan and they were going to record a Japanese voice track, but it ended up sounding even worse.

I'm more than certain that REmake was made because that's what Mikami really wanted. It's all around a better game, BUT OH NO, A HORROR GAME IS DARK NOW WHAT.

>> No.1528035

>>1528016
Gameplay in REmake was O.K.. It was mostly the same, the updates were unnecessary, but not bad. The knife thing was O.K..

It was already there in the original game, while the additions were barely relevant and occasionally detrimental. Unnecessary is the word.

>> No.1528036

>>1528035
>It was already there in the original game

No it wasn't. The defense knives were a new feature. And how were the new features detrimental? I want examples.

>> No.1528048

>>1527998
It's impossible to ask a question like that. That's why.

>> No.1528071

>>1528048
Yup, I got it in the end. >>1528004

English is not my native language.

I'm also not >>1527967 i was just trying to learn why it was incorrect.

>> No.1528983

>>1527519

Outlast is a good example of a new horror game done right.

>> No.1530760

>>1528983

The world has too many samey first-person survival horror games.

>> No.1530913

>>1530760
This.

And Slender is the CoD of them all.

>> No.1531124

>>1530913

Slender wasn't even scary; I tried playing it several times and ended up switching it off from boredom each time.

>> No.1531172

>>1531124
It shouldn't be scary. The entire game is just a guy in a suit popping up randomly.

>> No.1531356

>>1531172

And the Lord of the Rings is three midgets throwing jewelry into a volcano.

>> No.1531373
File: 1.01 MB, 500x281, 1395308066196.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527519
>Resident Evil 3 as the height of the series

I know I shouldn't be taking a tripfag seriously but jesus what are they drinking that they think that RE3 is even a good game

>> No.1531393

>>1527528
>>1527560

The Police Station was originally going to be a Museum. Devs kept the same layout and just rearranged the textures.

>> No.1531396

>>1531373

Better then Survivor.

>> No.1531398

>>1531393

Capcom's signature quality at work.

>> No.1531407
File: 428 KB, 294x283, 1396737912696.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1531398

Well considering all the hoopla with RE 1.5, it's surprising Capcom even let the team Redev RE2 to what we now know it as.

>> No.1531464

>>1531393
I read somewhere that the police station was by built the same architect who built the clocktower and maybe the first mansion. I think the statue with the battery was his cenotaph.

>> No.1531469

>>1531407
They had to, really, if what I heard about the development is right.

>> No.1531473

>>1531464

Architect in the storyline or an actual architect irl?

Sorry if that sounds retarded

>> No.1531530

>>1531356
Are you seriously implying Slender has anything else to offer besides that?

>> No.1531540

>>1531530

Why yes it does: flashlights, trees that resemble telephone poles littered everywhere, and a random collection of lame setpieces.

>> No.1531858

>>1531473
Story architect. His name has a negro notion to it.

>> No.1533194

That weird feeling when you attempt to torrent the RE Director's Cut, but find that it downloads at a measly 18kbps and you have to use a regular download instead.