[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 648x340, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1507056 No.1507056 [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk about the best final fantasy :3 I have never managed to get over my obsession with this title. Everything about it felt so great. Even after all these years I still enjoy playing it despite it losing the magical appeal it had when I was a child. I still seem to find something new no matter how small whenever I run through it again.

>> No.1507065

>>1507056
>":3"

>> No.1507075

I never realized that the rocket at the church in the slums was the one Cid mentions being a test rocket. Took me a few times through to make the connection. Also at the library in Shinra mansion, a lot of the books are arranged so that they lean over to form 'VII'

>> No.1507101

It represented a significant point in my life, becoming an independent successful adult simultaneous with video games feeling like the future was here.

In hindsight, it can be seen as the beginning of the inevitable downward slide of Final Fantasy games which, combined with the perceived qualities of the fanbase, can explain why a lot of purists hate it but damn was it ever glorious.

I'd really like to get a copy of that demo disc we had at Babbage's that just let you play up to Tifa's tavern, but had the Leviathan summon.

>> No.1507117

>>1507101
Leviathan was so cool. I remember the demo you're speaking of I think. That and the disc that let you play through to the boss battle at the reactor, but the boss was just that random encounter enemy instead of the scorpion. Aeris was in your party too. Did anyone else have serious trouble beating the scorpion as a child due to the translation error about his tail attack? Took me a while but that made it even more rewarding when I beat it and the game opened up that much more. I definitely agree that post-7 titles marked a downslide in the quality of the series. I enjoyed 8, 9 and 10 but they just seemed to lack the same charm. 9 came the closest of any post-7 title IMO.

>> No.1507118

>>1507075

As someone who incessantly looks up trivia and tidbits about anything I even remotely like, I haven't heard either of these. Nice.

>> No.1507127

>>1507118

FF7 is filled with things like this but I've had a little too much to drink to remember as much as I'd like. 7 is a constant theme throughout the game though. As a side note maybe I am remembering completely wrong but I believe if you tab out the notes to aeriths theme it's synonymous with Fibonacci sequence?

>> No.1507150

>>1507056
I don't care what others have to say about it. I liked it. Not really for the story or the characters. But for the locations and music.

It had some of the best music and neatest areas of any Final Fantasy.

>> No.1507185

>>1507150
I kind of miss prerendered backgrounds because they were always so cool-looking

like, it's easier to design a scene when you have a static camera angle

>> No.1507196

>>1507185
And some of those pre-rendered scenes, especially like the Nibelheim reactor's gear room, still look amazing to this day.

>> No.1507217

It's been years but I still dont trust anyone who calls Aeris "Aerith"

>> No.1507229

>>1507217
But Squeenix calls her "Aerith"... ohhhhh.

>> No.1507236

>>1507217
I don't call her aerith on any regular basis it's just easier when I'm on my phone to avoid an apostrophe and consecutive s. Atleast that was the case with that post. Idk man aeris' theme then.

>> No.1507243

>best FF
>not 5

>> No.1507245

>>1507243
5 and 2(jp) are my second favorites

>> No.1507248

>>1507243
I love V. Some of that music is just so memorable, paired with the sheer amount of Jobs and it's refined system.

Not to mention that the merged over world has to be one of the largest in the series.

>> No.1507251
File: 2.34 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I put this game on my arm

>> No.1507343

>>1507117
Had friends that an issue with that boss, but it really wasn't a translation error if I recall it says something like 'attack while its tail is up' 'and it will counter attack'. Its just a poor space for a line break.

>>1507101
What part was the sliding downfall? It gets blamed for the FMV thing, but it really didn't have that many, MGS is more responsible for that.

>> No.1507376

>>1507251

The idea is good, but you need to beat whoever stuck that sub-part tat art on your flesh with a fucking oar.

>> No.1507532
File: 8 KB, 158x232, Exdeath_4682.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1507243
my nigga

>> No.1507541
File: 385 KB, 359x622, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1507251
Me too, though not my arm.

>> No.1507542

>>1507541
>>1507251
I don't want to sound like a normalfag but I genuinely can't comprehend the idea of getting a Final Fantasy tattoo

>> No.1507558

>>1507542
I question some of the character sprites, and full logos, etc. that fanatics get, but basic designs from something long-cherished are alright in my book.
They're leaps above the random dolphins, butterflies, stars, and other shit that some normalfags get on whims.

>> No.1507567

>>1507185
>>1507196
>tfw the inevitable ff7 remake will have full 3d backgrounds and ff13's art style

>> No.1507569

>>1507567

I think 3d design has moved forward enough that beautiful scenes in 3d are not impossible to accomplish.

I still cringe at early attempts, though, such as downgrade from 2d infinity engine in Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale to hideous Neverwinter Nights one. Or beautiful scenes and characters of Quest for Glory 4 and the caricature of them that was Quest for Glory 5.

>> No.1507571 [DELETED] 

>babby's first ff

>> No.1507584

>>1507571

it's on sale on Steam.

Nevertheless, it's pretty good.

>> No.1507745

>>1507065
is a perfectly acceptable emoticon or whatever they are called

>>1507584
I just bought it on Steam myself. Still haven't opened it up (I've played the game before on PS1, never finished it).

>> No.1507782 [DELETED] 

>>1507745
>emoticon
>4chinz

Pls go

>> No.1507823

>>1507343
>What part was the sliding downfall
Yeah FMV was a part of it. That whole cinema when you first leave Midgar that's so long you actually get given an option to save in the middle of it was pretty tiring, even then when it was also mindblowing. Also, in general it showed Square that graphical gimmickry sells games.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with VII though. 5-6-7 are the peak of the series for sure. 7 was the groundbreaker that unfortunately broke the ground to simplified mechanics and just generally broadened appeal.

Just look at the difference in sales between 2D and 3D Final Fantasies. I can personally testify that the same non-gamers who were not remotely interested in watching FF6/3US when I played it at release were enchanted by FF7 and Square realized that. Likewise, there was a certain point in my explanation of the materia system in which my casual friends eyes glazed over and sure enough that's where they drew the line on the complexity of later Final Fantasies all the way up to 11/12.

I mean, look what a total piece of shit Final Fantasy 8 is and why. It was trying to do MORE of everything that made 7 appeal to normal gamers and LESS of everything that made it appeal to RPG gamers.

>> No.1507838

>>1507101
>It represented a significant point in my life, becoming an independent successful adult simultaneous with video games feeling like the future was here.

This. I bought my PSX and FFVII with the very first check of my very first job.

>> No.1507858

>buy on steam just before the sale
>brother completes it before me
>don't want to play it now

>> No.1507862

>>1507823
>That whole cinema when you first leave Midgar that's so long you actually get given an option to save in the middle of it was pretty tiring, even then when it was also mindblowing.

What?

>> No.1507863

>>1507862
I think he means the story in Kalm.

>> No.1507891

>>1507065
>using double quotes within greentext

out

>> No.1507896

>>1507823
>Yeah FMV was a part of it. That whole cinema when you first leave Midgar that's so long you actually get given an option to save in the middle of it was pretty tiring, even then when it was also mindblowing. Also, in general it showed Square that graphical gimmickry sells games.

I think it might have been awhile since you've played. The only slightly long FMVs are basically the opening establishing shot, the ending, and climax in the middle of the game when it all goes to hell.

The part that lets you save in the middle was Cloud retelling the events of the past in Kalm, which was a gameplay segment. The only video part of that is about a 5 second panning shot of the mountain.

8 was the one that tried pushing and selling on graphics and love story and 10 was the one that removed everything FF about it. 8 pretty well did nothing like 7 did right. 7 had minimal FMVs, in the entire game they only totall a couple of minutes, 8 added way more and way longer. 7 had a side love story with a plot focused on building up the enemy as a badass, bit of a generic badass but at least built up. 8 focused on the love story and pulled things out of its ass for the rest. 7 dumps you in the action fast, 8 has you fuck around school for awhile.

The one that got me is 7 was minimal on random fights usually giving you crazy fun mini-games, not just the motorcycle fights, but almost every floor in the midgar tower is some little non-combat mini-game puzzle. 8 loved its summon system so much those were gone aside from one card game...playing them back to back I was really bummed there was no hover board segment after Zell was riding one.

But yea the average FMV length in 7 is only about 25 seconds with a range of about 4 seconds to 1 minute 20. I found my memories muddied by all the shit it gets online about that stuff, until I went back and played it after so many years. It basically has none of the negative tropes aimed at JRPGs today, but is labeled the source.

>> No.1507904

>>1507896
I don't think he literally meant it was a cinema, just a long segment of exposition. Even when I was going through it the first time, I was wondering when it would end since it felt like it kept going forever, even after it got its point across.

As for the minigames, I think that's a true tragedy of our time. I remember FFVII and to a lesser extent FFVI having tons of parts that wasn't just straight dungeon crawling, or at least tried to jazz it up some.

>> No.1507908

>>1507896
he mispoke you asperbergerite. the thing in kalm was a lot like a cut scene, even if wasn't fmv

>> No.1507923

>>1507229
No one trusts S-E.

>> No.1507931

>>1507229
The names are also Claude and Bullet.

>> No.1507942

>>1507896
>8 loved its summon system so much those were gone aside from one card game...
Did we even play the same game? So many dungeons in FF8 had weird quirky puzzles exactly like Midgar tower. The Galbadian military base, getting out of dollet, the train mission... hell, I'm having trouble thinking of a dungeon or a mission that ISN'T some kind of puzzle.

Besides that, the card game is a completely different kind of thing. It's more of a minigame than a dungeon puzzle, so I don't know why you bring it up in relation to Midgar tower.

>> No.1507943
File: 189 KB, 633x446, Sephiroth_guest_battle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1507908
I hated that part, the battles were literally pointless other than to show that Sephiroth was exceptionally powerful, and he already proved that when he took down the dragon in two shots. There was pretty much no reason for Cloud to be controlled after leaving Nibelheim.

>> No.1507949

>>1507904
It was exposition yes, but you got to fight and explore during it.

I mark a distinction because that is the exact reason I can't replay 8 or some later FFs because the exposition is just standing there while they talk. I even like 8 and can't replay it because it will hit a point like that were there is nothing to do. 8 and then 10s inspiration off of it were the great changers of the series, though 9 there to show going to typical doesn't always work out to push the later changes harder.

It was the following year where we got the long codec chats and that would have already been close to finished.

>> No.1507948

>>1507896

Eh, I enjoyed the 8 and its characters, although some plot points really were bullshit

like going off into space without any idea and just so happening to stumble across Ragnarok

What irked me most was that characters were completely useless without having the summons set up and the magic system was a chore of itself.

>> No.1507953

>>1507948
Not equipping summons on characters is like not equipping jobs in FF5. It's really not much of an inconvenience, a lot of people just don't know that you can swap junction builds between party members at will.

>> No.1507957

>hurr durr, shinra is trying to take out the meteor with huge materia, we don't have a plan to stop the meteor, but we'll steal the huge materia from shinra anyway, we be heroes yo!

fucking niggers

>> No.1507960

>>1507949
>I can't replay 8 or some later FFs because the exposition is just standing there while they talk

Funny, that's why I avoid 6.

>> No.1507963

>>1507957

I kinda felt the same way, but consider that Shinra's plan was really retarded considering the Meteor was a magical summon rather than physical phenomenon that could be simply blown apart, sending more materia into it might have just made matters worse. Also consider that loss of Materia had profound impact on planet's...uh... metaphysical balance or whatnot.

tl;dr heroes are justified in doing whatever they want.

>> No.1507964

>>1507957
I think FF7 would have been a better game overall if the focus had stayed on being a ragtag group of ecoterrorists with Shinra as the main enemy. It's funny that you bring up that plot hole, because I think it's indicative of how they failed to tie together the plot threads of Shinra and Sephiroth.

Overall I never really felt like Sephiroth's storyline was particularly compelling, so I think I'd rather drop that one in favor of more Shinra shenanigans.

>> No.1507967

>>1507217
The original translation of the game had her as "Aerith." If you look at early reviews of the game, you'll see this, among other things, such as Utai/Wutai.

>> No.1507973

You know what bugs me more than 'Aerith'?

Chocobos were way better when they said 'wark.'

''Kweh' is gay as all fuck.

idgaf what they say in Japan.

>> No.1507982

>>1507964
It's not a plot hole.

>> No.1507987

>>1507982
Sure it is. If character behavior isn't adequately explained and appears to be irrational, that's often considered a plothole.

>> No.1507989

>>1507896
>8 was the one that tried pushing and selling on graphics and love story and 10 was the one that removed everything FF about it. 8 pretty well did nothing like 7 did right. 7 had minimal FMVs, in the entire game they only totall a couple of minutes, 8 added way more and way longer
Yeah that's what I'm saying. They kept a priority on depth in their system because that's what sold 5 and 6, although 6 was already starting to bring the story up to the forefront. In 7, we still had great mechanics and all that dramatic camera angle storytelling felt like a bonus, plus the romantic element was kind of interesting and that all came together to make for an awesome, awesome game.

But then once Square did their market research or whatever and realized that they were gaining more new players with that stuff than alienating their old core players that was the beginning of the end.

>> No.1507994

>>1507987

How is taking huge materia back to planet irrational course of action for group that were originally ecoterrorists?

>> No.1507997

>>1507989
I think it was a much more gradual process than that. A lot of people in Japan would cite FF4 as being the moment when Square realized that cinematics sell, and Final Fantasy went in a different direction.

>> No.1508001

>>1507987
Except it's perfectly explained. You just didn't pay attention. Cloud outright says why Shinra using the Huge Materia for that purpose is a dumb idea.

>> No.1508002

>>1507994
Because it doesn't make sense in the context of Meteor and Sephiroth. Which is the point I was making originally. Their behavior would be perfectly reasonable if the focus was on Shinra, but at that point in the game the clear threat is Sephiroth, and the two different antagonists weren't written together very well.

>> No.1508003

>>1507997
I think that was more a matter of really driving home the platform change, which is what 7 was as well but with the 3D revolution came a much broader appeal that wasn't necessarily a good thing for the game itself.

I don't think 4-5-6 sold any better than 1-2-3 in Japan did they?

>> No.1508018

>>1508003
Well, going by Wikipedia, FF4 didn't sell much more than FF3, but FF5 and FF6 sold about twice as much. That's all the Super Famicom version, I think.

>> No.1508025

>>1508002

The overarching plot is protection of the planet, first from Shinra, then from Sephiroth. But since Shinra decided to do something stupid, the party got sidetracked into stopping them along the way.

>> No.1508027

>>1507943
It was interesting the first time but it qualifies as "that part" when I replay the game.

>> No.1508028

>>1507973
>Kweh

The moment when you walk up to a Chocobo in FF8 and it says 'Kweh." is like the moment when Final Fantasy dies.

>> No.1508031

>>1507964
failed to tie what together? Shinra is the entity that created sephiroth to try and control the whole planet and kept trying even though it kept back firing and leading to the possible complete destruction of the planet. your party has to clean up the pieces of both villains, sephiroth and shinra.

>> No.1508037

>>1508031
I understand that but after Meteor occurs, Shinra wants the same outcome that you do: to prevent Meteor from falling. So not only does ignoring Sephiroth to hassle Shinra kill the pace of the game, it doesn't make a lot of sense when the heroes don't have total confidence that they can stop Sephiroth and Meteor by themselves, when they don't even have a plan.

>> No.1508052

>>1508037
>they don't even have a plan

But they do. They want to take care of the problem at its source. There's no point in destroying Meteor at the cost of horrendous damage to the planet when Sephiroth could cast the spell again.

>> No.1508067

>>1508052
Destroying Sephiroth won't destroy Meteor though. The planet would be wrecked if the lifestream didn't jump in to save the day with literal magic... which, incidentally, happens regardless of whether you get the Huge Materia or not, but nobody was counting on it to actually save them since Sephiroth's whole plan hinged on the lifestream reacting in the exact way that it did.

>> No.1508069

>>1508028
>the moment when Final Fantasy died

That would be the day they announced FF11 would be an MMO.

At least for me, anyway. Haven't played a new FF RPG since then.

>> No.1508076

>>1508069
for me it was when my first real look at FF9 was a coca-cola commercial of all things

>> No.1508079

This is /vr/, so I'm gonna get slaughtered for saying this, but my favorite FF is [spoilers]X[/spoilers]

To be fair, I haven't played 6 or 9, which are the ones you hipsters like most.

>> No.1508086

>>1508067

As a matter of fact it does. Sephiroth was the one summoning it, and was the one keeping Aeris(th) from unsummoning it.

That big cannon was kind of badass though.

>> No.1508084

>>1508079
I like 10 a lot. Honestly I think it's some of Squaresoft's best work, even though it breaks a lot of conventions in the franchise.

My favorite FFs are 4, 6, 8, and 10

>> No.1508085

>>1508037
They hassle Shinra because they want the huge materia and they know shinra's rocket plan won't work.

The only thing weird is that the huge matera missions are big chunks of the game revolving around missables, but that's just kind of a cool shake up to a jrpg in my book.

>> No.1508089

>>1508079
Slaughtered for what? The only thing wrong with FFX as far as this board goes is that it's not /vr/. It's a legit RPG otherwise. Really legit. Does a lot of things good.

V is still the king for me gameplay wise. And VI is the king of story.

>> No.1508096

>>1508086
Well I'm not clear on what happens to the Meteor after the lifestream gets all intimate with it, I just assumed it made impact anyway but the lifestream stopped it from causing too much damage. Regardless the characters didn't know that shit was going to happen and more importantly neither did I.

>> No.1510453

>>1507838
ARE YOU ME?

>> No.1510846
File: 20 KB, 407x286, 1394268120580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Meh, the only thing i hate of this game was that lame ending.

>> No.1510895

FF7 was my first FF but I never really got Cloud. He was acting way too emo and sullen for me which I usually don't have a problem with. It just seemed like he was that way because it was decided he was going to be that way and it came off as Cloud trying too hard.
I liked FF8 more. I know Squall is a similar type of character but since you get to read his thoughts his way of behaving makes a lot more sense.

I like FF7 and it will always have special place in my mind, but it's far from my favorite of the bunch.

>> No.1510913

>>1510895

>Cloud was trying too hard

yes he was, that was his entire shtick. But, gotta hand it to him, eventually he succeeded.

I liked the omnislash at the end. It was very rewarding.

>> No.1510921

>>1510913
Yeah but it never felt like there was enough reason for him to be like that. However, if we got to hear some of his thoughts a bit more like in FF8 I think I would have enjoyed Cloud as a character a lot more.

>> No.1510930

>>1510895
>He was acting way too emo and sullen for me

You've clearly misremembered the game because Cloud isn't like that at all until Tactics and Advent Children.

>> No.1510949

>>1507967

I dont give a fuck

The game I played said Aeris. The game we all played said Aeris. So fuck you

>> No.1510952

>>1510930
Well he definately got worse. It's not that long since I replayed FF7 but maybe my view has been tainted by how he's been acting in newer games.
Still though, I don't feel like there was much reason for him to act like an ass. Using FF8 again as an example, Squall is a jerk but then you read his thoughts and you realise he do care about people, he cares too much and is afraid of loss which is why he acts that way. But with Cloud he is just a moody tough guy for ???? reasons.

>> No.1510972

>>1510895

>I dont like 7 because Cloud is to Emo
>Likes 8

HAHAHAHA what a fucking retard

>> No.1510980
File: 90 KB, 385x385, 1384066537165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I have FF7 on the PS3 and was wondering if you guys can let me in on some beginner tips and hints? Is stealing worth it in this game, and what materia to specialize in, etc.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks /vr/.

>> No.1510990

>>1510972
>I like FF7 and it will always have special place in my mind, but it's far from my favorite of the bunch.
>I like FF7 and it will always have special place in my mind
>I like FF7
>I like

Yes clearly I hate FF7 because Cloud is too emo.
Not having FF7 as my favorite FF game doesn't mean I don't like it. Prefereing how a similar character is portrayed in another game doesn't make me hate it either.

FF7 fanbois are the worst.

>> No.1510987

>>1510952

Cloud has many reason to act like a dick. The main being half his memories and personality arent his own.

While Squall has abandonment issues for being abandoned by people he doesn't even remember because of GF'slol giving him no reason to have those issues because he doesn't remember.

>> No.1510993

>>1510980

Stealing is very worth it. Even normal enemies have good weapons and armor that you cant get until much later. I think the best example I can think of is stealing the hardedge sword from a Soldier in Shinra tower. Much better than the sword you have and any you can buy for awhile

>> No.1510994

>>1510990

Cloud isn't emo though

whatever whatever what. I'll be over here doing squats with a cross dresser

>> No.1510998

>>1510990

It is strange how Cloud being emo bothers you will Squall gets a pass. His thoughts are the most emo part of him

>> No.1511007

>>1510987
Sure he has reasons but to me his reasons wasn't very well portrayed and so he comes off as a somewhat shallow character acting that way because he was decided to act that way by the designers. I just feel like his character could have been handled a lot better and I think they did well with that in FF8. I'm sure the quiet, serious persona isn't the easiest to write and I don't think they did that good of a job with Cloud.

>> No.1511014

>>1511007

>Sure he has reasons but to me his reasons wasn't very well portrayed

They show you why Cloud is the way he is with the extra Zack scene. I dissagree entirely ith you view. Squalls reasoning was handled badly because he has no memory of why he has these issues

>> No.1511008

>>1507248
Then I'd think you'll love III. It has some decent jobs (excluding the god awful Scholar class) and a beautiful OST.

My favourite track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoywZe7NNtg

>> No.1511015

>>1510998
Nothing wrong with a character being emo if I can understand why they are being that way.

>> No.1511024

>>1511014
>They show you why Cloud is the way he is with the extra Zack scene.

No they don't.

>> No.1511041

>>1511024

Yes, they do.

>> No.1511043

>>1511041
No, you completely misinterpreted it or haven't played the game in years. Either way, you're wrong.

>> No.1511047

>>1511014
So people with amnesia lose their emotions? I'm not sure that's quite how it works, after all people with amnesia don't forget how to speak or count. The GF amnesia thing was a terrible plot sealant anyway.

>> No.1511048

>>1511014
I guess what I'm trying to say that I liked with FF8 inner monologue was that I could follow Squall's thought process and why he reacted that way. I'll admit that I like Squall, but even if I didn't, I like the idea of getting into the head of the hero. I would like to hear their thoughts on things a lot more often in all of the FF games, not only FF7.
However, since Cloud is such a quiet guy it's not easy to guess his thoughts from the few words he says, unlike Zidane for example. Zidane is very open with his dialogue.
In FF7, even if we get shown Cloud's past and so on, we never really get to know his thoughts that well on all that.
And it's not only for the serious things that I like it, but reading Squall thoughts you realize he has a sense of humor and have thoughts about his friends and characters he meets. It builds character. With Cloud we only get to see the mask he puts on for everyone, so he feels less personal.

>> No.1511049
File: 1.58 MB, 250x220, 1396086948997.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You samefags really killed this thread because of your pathetic disagreements.

>> No.1511056

>>1511049
Oh no people are discussing on a discussion board. Boo hoo

>> No.1511064 [SPOILER] 
File: 80 KB, 399x500, 1379312404440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511056
It's just you and two others m8. Are you the butthurt faggot that's getting his panties in a twist?

>> No.1511067

>>1511048

I prefer Zidane. He has a happy go lucky attitude but doesn't use it as mask, that is who he is even with everything that happened to him. The only point he almot cracked was at the full realisation of what he was created for but he gets over that when he remembers who he is with the help of his friends.

I think i'm over the brooding protag, whatever theres reasons are.

>> No.1511075

>>1511064
You shouldn't assume people are butthurting just because they are disagreeing. Even if it is just me and one other guy I think it's interesing to discuss this game. I like to hear their arguements because guess what? They might make me think of this in a different way and that's not bad. Not everyone is hear to scream the loudest and ignore the rest, some people actually like talking to others about these games, even if they don't agree.

So I don't care if it is me, one other guy and of course you whining in this thread.

>> No.1511073

>>1511064

Four people active in a /vr/ thread is pretty much a full house

>> No.1511082
File: 179 KB, 800x600, Squall 2.0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511067
Zidane is pretty insufferable.

>> No.1511084

>>1511073
That guy who really like Zelda 2, that guy who really like FF8, you and that guy who really like DOOM

>> No.1511091 [SPOILER] 
File: 2.91 MB, 446x251, happiness.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511064
Well what kind of thread do you propose to have?

>> No.1511092

>>1511082

oh you!

>> No.1511094

>>1511075
Who said I'm whining m8, just pointing out the obvious.

>> No.1511108

>>1511067
Yeah exactly! When Zidane says something you know he means because he talks a lot and you already know his character well from the stuff he says and way he acts. He is such and open and carefree guy and isn't afraid to speak his mind.
When Squall says "whatever" to a response you will still know what he really means because you can read his thoughts. So it builds his character and you get to know his real personality.
When Cloud says "I don't care" then that's it. Does he really mean it? Why doesn't he care? Is he just saying it to act tough, or is he really just such a cold person? Is he a robot????

>> No.1511112

>>1511094
I'm not sure pointing out the obvious makes this thread any better, friend!

>> No.1511115

>>1511092
I'm being serious. He's a very immature character and ultimately drags the plot down.

>> No.1511118

>>1511108

Zidane comes as a full person
Squall is revealed over time
And Clouds attitudes are told retroactivly with the revalation with Tifa in the life stream

>> No.1511124

>>1511115

He was 16. I wouldn't call it immaturity sinc he constantly makes hard decisions. He just doesn't whine about it

>> No.1511126

>>1511118
This is a good way of putting it and personally I don't think it worked so well with Cloud. Maybe it is a personal preference thing or maybe it's something I misunderstood, but it's why I don't think Cloud is that good a character.

>> No.1511128

>>1511112
It's pretty much on a plateau.

>> No.1511129

>>1511124
I don't care how old he is. If a character acts like an immature braggart, I'm not going to like him.

>> No.1511140

>>1511129

What did he do that was immature?
Grab Garnets ass that one time?

>> No.1511154

>>1511140
Constantly hit on every woman he saw, made lots of silly and unrealistic promises in hopes of getting laid, and tries (and fails) to act console several party members over the course of the game.

It's pretty hilarious that one of his dialog options is "durr i wunder whut dagger's up to" during a very serious moment.

>> No.1511196

>>1511154

but he actually falls for her over the course of the game, which was the point.

liking characters isn't relevant. showing him change over the game was the point. and his flaws were exposed. character development was the point. Which is why FF9 was good.

games don't do character development anymore.

>> No.1511204

Was Squall autistic?

>> No.1511205

>>1511196
>but it's ok he was an obnoxious ass!
>he was SUPPOSED to be one!
>that's why it's great!

Unlikeable idiot is unlikeable idiot.

Not even him, by the way, since I never got past first disc.

>> No.1511206

>>1511048

I for one have no clear preference between Squall and Cloud, I like them both.

One of the ideas of having a silent hero is that player can completely identify himself with him and fill in his place in the story by his own imagination.

I imagine that doesn't work quite this way in FFVII for instance because the backstory, while revealed over the course of game, is quite extensive and Clouds' place in the plot is pretty much a given. From that point of view I agree that Squall has been handled better.

In fact, the entire concept of the game as a story being told does not really lend itself to gordon freeman silent guy with a wrench approach.

>> No.1511212

>>1511204

I don't think so.

Maybe a bit sociopathic.

>> No.1511237
File: 81 KB, 675x1024, 1312643579768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1511015
>cannot understand a character's motivations without them being spelled out for him

>> No.1513187

>>1511204
no, but im willing to bet he had some schizoid personality traitss

>> No.1513626

>>1513187

He was final fantasy and wish fulfillment of any neckbeard.

>introverted, brooding
>(considers himself) capable of handling himself
>little social interactions
>gets literally drafted into an epic adventure
>gets literally thrown into a relationship with a cute girl regardless of his own intentions
>gets unquestioning support of friends he did not even try to make
>is put in charge of a floating fortress regardless of his rank within the organization
>finds a personal spaceship just by jumping into space
>turns out to be son of president of the most advanced country in the setting

[.....]

That must be why I enjoyed the game so much.

>> No.1513665

>>1513626
Wow could Squall BE any more different from Cloud?

>> No.1513702

>>1507056
>Let's talk about the best final fantasy
How come no one is talking about VIII then?

>> No.1513698

>>1513626
man I fuckin liked squall though
like he was clearly a self-obsessed dickwad but he could be pretty fuckin sassy at times

>> No.1513729

>>1513702
Because VIII isn't X

>> No.1513748

>best FF game
>only mention of FFT is in reference to Cloud being a pansy in it
FFT. FFT is best FF.

>> No.1513758

>>1513748
FFT is great but it's not FF any more than Crystal Chronicles is. If you like SRPGs better than JRPGs of course you'll think FFT is better than any real FF.

>>1513702
>>1513729
Also these are just dumb. First and foremost we ARE talking about VIII so these guys obviously haven't read. Second, the only FFs worth arguing about which is best are 5-6-7 everything before those was just a lead up everything after was a let down.

>> No.1514528

>>1513698

He was not really self-obsessed though. I get the impression he was always trying to do his best even if he did not expect that anyone would to the same in return.

>> No.1515137
File: 55 KB, 500x669, 1377976883761.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FF7 was the first RPG I had ever played, it was a brand new experience and actually made me care about the characters, how Aeris died, Sephiroths history, the whole Cloud/Zack thing.

It really was a turning point for me in gaming it was an experience that I'll never forget and love to replay it again and again(but disc 2 doesnt work anymore) I dont think I've played anything since that has changed my view on gaming characters and story, since I was 13/14 at the time it was a damn big change for me.

I enjoyed FF8 not so much 9, I couldnt engage with the characters, 10 did it for me again and I was engrossed in the voice acting and character development.

>> No.1515630

>>1507075
Holy shit never made that connection.

>> No.1515634 [DELETED] 

>>1513758
>WAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!! FFT isn't FF b/c I said so!!!
FFT is best FF. Deal w/it.

>> No.1516124

>>1507567
>full 3d backgrounds
fine. why not
>FFXIII's art style
I will fucking murder Nomura

>> No.1516145

>>1510994
>>1510994
>I'll be over here doing squats with a cross dresser

That part didn't fully hit home until I was older.

that and the fact that cloud gets buttfucked in the honeybee manor.

>> No.1516189

>>1511014
>>1510987
>>1511067
>>1511047
Every classic FF from FFII onward has had memory loss/amnesia as a major plot point, the most hackneyed bullshit device in writing.
FFII: Guy.
FFIII: The entire main cast in the remake
FFIV: Cecil.
FFV: Galuf.
FFVI: Terra.
FFVII: Cloud.
FFVIII: the majority of the main cast.
FFIX: Zidane.

I've come to expect this bullshit in FF games but don't know if this tradition has continued into the newer games as I've not played a single one of them.
This is also one of the reasons I prefer FFT's story above and beyond that of any other FF game.

>> No.1516194

>>1516189
>FFII: Guy
Derp. It was Leon, actually. Muh mistake.

>> No.1516240

>>1507973
When they first used voices in X, I was disgusted that chocobo had three long "o"s in its pronunciation. It looks like chocolate, so should be pronounced chock-oh-boh.

>> No.1516262

>>1516240
I pronounced it like "ch'koh-boh," stress on the 'koh.'

Chou-kou-bou or choh-koh-boh make more sense cuz Japanese.

>> No.1516275 [DELETED] 

>>1507056
http://www.livestream.com/binaryghosts
FFX stream

>> No.1516368
File: 246 KB, 2013x1290, 1389463659065.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1507056
Its my favorite game also. It really does become EZMode though once you get the W-Item Materia

>> No.1516482

FUCK YOU SPEED SQUARE COASTER

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

>> No.1516491

>>1516189
>FFIV: Cecil.

I think you mean Yang.

You're wrong about FFIX though.

>> No.1516559

I loved the aloof, warm feeling that the music brought to a lot of the prerendered 32-bit environments. Also, the story was great, and had a lot of aspects that drew it to that. On the flip side, the dark "ruined future" aspects balanced it out well too.

It's hip to not like this game, but when I played it as a teenager it was one of the best gaming experiences I'd ever had.

>> No.1516583

>>1513702

Because it's horrible?

>> No.1516585

>>1507056

Meh. It's an acceptably enjoyable game but it's the real origin of everything that eventually destroyed the series.

>> No.1516598

Cho-ko-bo

The gayest shit ever was in Dirge of Cerberus when Mako was pronounced as "Mocko"

>> No.1516603
File: 999 KB, 500x339, feelsquall.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1510998

>Squall
>emo

The most human character by a long shot.

>> No.1516606

>>1516598

That's actually pretty much the proper Japanese pronunciation, chief.

>> No.1516608

I know this is cliche but this game was truly transcendent and was the first RPG that i've ever played. I tried playing classic rpgs such as chrono trigger or final fantasy 6 before this but either i didn't have the attention span or the appreciation to enjoy role-playing games until i saw the power of story that final fantasy 7 was able to bring. Keep in mind i was barely 12 at the time and even still i was immersed in the story.

>> No.1516609

>>1516603

If you find that human and identifiable, your chances of ever seeing an actual vagina are fairly low.

>> No.1516614

>>1516608

>this game was truly transcendent

Ugh

I'm glad you liked it though, anon. Really. I don't begrudge people a good time, no matter how alien their definition of what that is may seem to me.

>> No.1516613

yea if your fucking emo

>> No.1516615

>>1516609
I don't know why you're conflating "recognizes humanity" with "identifies with"

>> No.1516617

>>1516615

Not conflating those two would require me to assume that the anon isn't a human.

Which again, if you find Squall to be a good example of one that wouldn't shock me, but still.

>> No.1516619

>>1516617
>Not conflating those two would require me to assume that the anon isn't a human.

wat

Are you trying to say that recognizing something as human means you identify with it? Because that's way off.

>> No.1516628

>>1516619

Your ability to recongize what qualifies as 'human' doesn't come from your experience of being one?

>> No.1516635

>>1516628
Christ, are you a shut-in or something?

Because there are lots of people out there in the world, and being able to recognize the traits some of them have does not mean you like them, agree with them, or even identify with them. But much of this can be observed from...well, you know, observing people.

I'd venture to say that if you can't recognize human traits that don't belong to you, you have issues.

>> No.1516640

>>1516609

Squall is a rare example of a jrpg hero that acts according to his age. He gets a lot of shit on his shoulders all of a sudden despite being a rookie trained soldier with little experience on the outside world and dealing with people, and isn't all happy go lucky believe it harem anime hero about it.

>> No.1516662

>>1510846
>lame ending.

I hated the ending too. Green tentacles sprouting from the ground to stop the meteor was stupid. It looked so much like scene from a Disney movie.The game was okay, but the ending ruined it.

>> No.1516669

>>1516662
That's not even what sucked. What sucks is the complete lack of closure. All we know is that meteor is stopped and Cloud defeats Sephiroth for good. Does humanity survive? Does Holy kill everyone? Who the fuck knows, all we get is a scene of Red and a kid (how?) by the ruins of Midgar (so everyone died?) Fuck that ending. Pissed me the fuck off.

But yeah, the cutscene before that is terrible too. Reminds me of an awful action movie like Armageddon or something. Even has goofy ass musical queues like an action movie.

The whole everything that happens after you beat Bishie Sephiroth put a horrible taste in my mouth that nearly counter acted the previous excellence of the game.

>> No.1516887

>>1516669

I'm inclined to agree this is a bit annoying, but to be honest I'm used to it. Only a few games, movies or stories offer "closure" for various characters in form of deticated epilogue pages.

Baldur's gate 2 comes to mind as a good example of doing it, but other than that, I'm not sure.

Anyhow, the various followup games show that most everyone survived all right, just Midgar got fucked up.

>> No.1516928

>>1516669
>>1516887
Not every story needs closure, you know

>> No.1516929

>>1516928
A stupid anime story about a guy with a giant sword fighting another guy with a giant sword and a trenchcoat needs to tell you what fucking happens at the end.

>> No.1516932

>>1516929

I agree with this. The game is massively overrated but it's still pretty fun to play. The ending is tryhard pretentious bullshit.

>> No.1516935

>>1516669
I really like the ending. The game is such an epic journey, it implies closure to the defeat of Sephiroth, but also suggests that the story is ongoing and continues on beyond the observation of the player.

>> No.1516939

>>1516932
I don't even think its that overrated. Not these days. Its just an awful ending. I'm not doing to sit down and ponder the human condition after playing a damn final fantasy game. This isn't Dostoyevsky. I just want to know whether the guy with spiky hair survives or not.

And, yes, this is all moot now, since we have spin-offs. Which is unfortunate because oh man are the cash-in spinoffs dreadful.

>> No.1516947

>>1516939
I think the funny thing about FFVII is that it WAS overrated for so long people got sick of hearing about it and decided to bash it whenever possible.
I might actually say based on the amount that gets said about it on the internet lately it is actually UNDERrated.

>> No.1516959

>reduce battle size down to three
>force you to use one guy at all times
This is probably VIIs biggest flaw, or the one I took the most issue with anyway.

>> No.1516960

>>1516947

It's fine. It's acceptable fun. Everything that eventually destroyed the series started in it.

>> No.1517329

>>1516959
idk, I have OCD and I cringe at the very thought of rpgs forcing me to have a party of 4 instead of 3
3 is a perfect number, 4 isn't
And I think you feel closer to your party with 3 characters at a time, 4 looks like a fucking squad

>> No.1517334

>>1507251
ILUMINATI!!!!
Nah really, whats up with that eye?

>> No.1517340

>>1508084
>breaks a lot of conventions in the franchise.
Like what? I'm just getting into RPG's (currently playing FFVII).

>> No.1517371

>>1508084
I used to think I liked X and would defend it. I still think its better than 8 or 9. But I just picked up the HD remake and am replaying it and....its not as good as I remembered. I last beat the game in highschool and attempts to replay never got past Blitzball so its been a while.

So much unskippable dialog. The voice acting is terrible and combines horribly with the super stiff gestures. Awkward doesn't begin to describe it. It takes about 6 hours to get to a point where you can start having fun with the combat system and sphere grid. 6 damn hours. I could watch 3 movies in that time. Movies without horrible acting puppets.

>> No.1517764

>>1517371

I really have never understood people who like X at all. I was an 'everything is cool' accepting sort of consumerist idiot around the time I first played it, and I thought it was reprehensible even back then.

The battle system is pretty fun. But the awful, nonsense story, objectionable characters, and ludicrous, painful costume, monster and character designs have always made it unbearable for me.

>> No.1517842

>>1517371
>>1517764
FFX may not be the worst FF (I'm looking at you, XIII) but it was the biggest disappointment to me personally - after the step from SNES to PSX... THAT was the step from PSX to PS2?

Somebody should have cancelled the series right then.

>> No.1518001

>>1516491
From Wikipedia, with all caps for emphasis added by Anon:
"Zidane is a Genome, created by Garland on the planet Terra to replace Kuja as a more powerful "Angel of Death." Jealous of his successor, Kuja cast Zidane down to Gaia, where he is found and adopted by Baku and his group of thieves, Tantalus. Before the events of the game, he leaves Baku to search for his real home, HIS ONLY MEMORY being a blue light. Unsuccessful, he returns to Baku and rejoins Tantalus."

As for Cecil, I guess you're right. It's been at least 20 years since I played the game through and perhaps I've a touch of amnesia myself, but I seemed to [incorrectly] recall that Cecil had amnesia. Rather, he wast just a bastard (as he didn't know his dad) and a son of whore (as his slut of a mother was likely unmarried to the wayward Lunarian). And because of his status as a bastard, he wouldn't have known who might be his brother or not, hence being unaware that Golbez shares his standing as KluYa's crotchfruit.
I'm surprised he's not black. Doesn't know his dad. Raised by a single, unwed mother. Burglarises a place, stealing a precious jewel. On the run from the law. Gets into fights at random. Beats up those involved in said fight and takes their money. Has a bunch of siblings he's unaware of (yes, this is mentioned in the game text). Wants to bang a white bitch. Sounds pretty stereotypically black to me.

>> No.1518025

>>1517842
Well it did have the best weapon/armor system in the series and was different from the usual spiel of "This armor is now shit."

Armor with abilities > Armor with stats

>> No.1518036

>>1516368
Exploiting the item duplication bug is cheating.

>> No.1518072

FFIV and FFVII are the best Final Fantasy games.

>> No.1518502
File: 336 KB, 500x500, 1396570811901.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.1518513
File: 82 KB, 300x321, 1338777710122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1518036
duping items you probably wont ever use more than once isnt cheating

>> No.1518703

You people need your own fucking board. If those ponyfuckers got one, why cant you mediocrity-worshipping, interactive storybook level of strategy enabling dullards have one? (I do like quite a lot of them that being said, but goddamn please stop clogging up /vr/ with the same threads day in, day out. Honestly you're nearly as bad as the futa posters on /d/ Rein it in a little bit)

>> No.1518749

>>1518513

If you're not going to use them more than once, what the fuck are you duping them for?

And any kind of duping is inherently cheating.

>> No.1518839

>>1518703
>clogging up /vr/
There's 2 FF threads on a board that is so slow I've been following the same threads for 5 days
not that I would mind an /ff/

>> No.1518889

>>1517764
>ludicrous, painful costume, monster and character designs
Wait, what was so terrible about the characters and monsters in X? They seemed pretty run of the mill for a FF game to me.

>> No.1518907
File: 60 KB, 500x730, 1396371063994.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1516609
>if you recognize that humans can be weak then you don't get laid lolrekt

>> No.1518947

>>1518889
I don't think the character designs are too bad, but there are some pretty ridiculous things like Lulu's dress made of belts and Tidus's everything. Wakka's hair is pretty goofy as well.

>> No.1518962

>>1518947
I still like it better than all the leotards the female characters wore in the 90s

>> No.1519031

>>1507960

6 was kind of limited by technology. There was only so much they could have those tiny sprites do. They made them as expressive as they can and definitely worked as hard as they could to make the game feel cinematic at times

>> No.1519071

>>1517329

I agree with this. I started playing suikoden and I couldn't tell you a single name of one of my party members besides the player character who I naked after myself

>> No.1519217

>>1518962

>leotards on sexy women
>bad

You must be underage. Or just have shit taste. Or are gay.

All of which are alright, by the way. But you talk about sexy girls in leotards like it's a BAD thing.

>> No.1519220

>>1518907

Feel free to pretend that's what I said if it makes you feel better.

>> No.1519250

>>1519071
I don't know, Suikoden did have some weird 'Ill never use you' types of characters but for the most part I think It did a lot more than say Chrono Cross to give characterization to a lot of them.

>> No.1519293

I tried to play this but it just seemed to me to be like every other jrpg at the time. What makes this game so much better than the rest, and is there a point where the game picks up at all. I'm having a real hard time understanding all the praise this game gets...

>> No.1519346

>>1519220
Not him. It's nearly exactly what you said.

>> No.1519352

>>1519293
Because it wasn't like every other jrpg at the time. I'm curious what you're comparing it to.

>> No.1519379

>>1519293
the characters
the soundtrack
that scene where you try to assassinate the president

>> No.1519383

>>1519379
nvm, this is ff8 actually

>> No.1519398

>>1518001
>HIS ONLY MEMORY being a blue light
He's younger than 4 when he comes to Gaia, we don't know how Genome memories compare to our own, but it's still a pretty young age to attribute lack of Terran memories to an amnesia trope.

>> No.1519589

>>1518839
6* and thats not even counting all the threads that end up becoming ff threads because someone loosely mentions it and take over.

>> No.1519597

Least there is some loves for V.

Has every i want/need in a FF title.

>> No.1519608

>>1519293
>>1519352

Because for many it was first JRPG they encountered. It seems quite unique from storytelling perspective if you compare it with western dungeons. It has much more focus on the characters then WRPGs. It's more linear, but that allows it to flesh the story out more.

>> No.1519856

>>1519217

Leotards are featureless and uninteresting, just like the women who wear them.

>> No.1520474

>>1519856

>caring about women's personalities

You're definitely young.

>> No.1520905

>>1520474
>>caring about women's personalities

You're putting words into my mouth. My comment was strictly on the appearance, not personality. You may be older than me, but you certainly aren't any more mature with that attitude of yours. Bye.

>> No.1521707

Hey does anyone have that picture of Aeries dying with Cloud holding her calling her 420SwagGirl or something?

>> No.1521802
File: 25 KB, 534x570, 1395066397367.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>playing all of the old FF's on my Vita

Yeah I could play them on a PsP but this feels genuine

>> No.1522482

I like how everyone calls FF7 the most overrated game, but all I've ever heard is how awesome 6 is. That's it. "6 iz teh best gaym evur!" I come to play that fucking game, after beating every other up to 10 (everything past that is a pile of caca) and the game sucks massive dicks! Terra is more emo than Cloud and Kefka has NO back story. He's a guy who was experimented on and went crazy. That's it. Every character fucking pissed me off, except maybe Celes (should've been the main character), and the story was too goofy for me to take seriously. I'll stick to 4, 5, 7, and 9, thank you.

>> No.1522487

>>1521802
I'm playing FF3 on my DS right now. The Famicom FF3 that is.

There is no greater comfy than lying down in bed and playing a good RPG. It's to the point that I don't even want to sit up to fight monsters anymore.

>> No.1522984

>>1507117
When i was a child it took me 2-3 years to beat the scorpion playing on a regular basis. i just didnt know how the fuck i could beat him

>> No.1523226

>>1511049
This thread was terrible from the start.
You can't kill a dead delivery.

>> No.1523437

>>1522482

>underage detected.

FF6 is not the greatest game ever. It's way better than any game that came after it, but it's not a classic or anything. The fact that it's goofy is not a criticism. That's good. I'm fucking sick of games taking themselves so seriously.

>> No.1523459

>>1523437
>It's way better than any game that came after it

Let's not go crazy here.

>> No.1523528
File: 16 KB, 191x210, Ehrgeiz-Yuffie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like 6, 7, 8 and 9 equally. What now?

>> No.1523536

>>1523528
Congratulate yourself for being a well-rounded Final Fantasy fan, I guess.

I've played to completion every main non-MMO series game (and a few more) and I didn't dislike any of them.

>> No.1523558

>>1523536
I even like Mystic Quest.
Very much actually.

>> No.1523584
File: 71 KB, 680x960, 1396742746884.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1523528
yuffie was one of my first video game crushes

while everyone else was loving tifa or aeris, I fell for her spunky personality

>> No.1523628
File: 15 KB, 260x250, mini yuffie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1523584
Totally agree.

Just noticed I have some rare FF7 artbook scans.
Might drop them later.

>> No.1526145
File: 37 KB, 398x550, 1373918772340.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone have any advice for getting this to run on Windows 8 with the beacause translation? I ran it in a windwos xp VM with the XP patch and it still doesn't run. It'd be nice to have the translation in a PSX ISO, but to my knowledge it's PC only.

>> No.1526191

>>1523459
He's just one of those anti-3D people

>> No.1526214
File: 79 KB, 994x804, 1396835510241.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who's your FF7 waifu, /vr/?

>> No.1526220

>>1526214
Non-hipster answer: Aeris, because she's a lot more interesting as a person.

Hipster answer: Jessie.

>> No.1526226
File: 306 KB, 500x600, 1262213027378.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1523584
I didn't know anyone liked Aeris. It was always Tifa this, Tifa that. Tbh I always found her kinda dull compared to the other two.

Granted, I also don't find VII to be the best FF either.

>> No.1526253

>>1511205
>>1511154
Retards that don't comprehend the concept of character development

>hurr durr I prefer static characters that represent one standard through 3-4 discs because I live a monotonous and mediocre life

>> No.1526281
File: 395 KB, 514x601, finalf7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Worst part of the game for me.

>> No.1526290

>>1526281
Easily. But mostly because the whole situation was so poorly translated imo. Which brings me back to >>1526145

Does anyone play the original PC version, and does beacause work with the steam version?

>> No.1526318

>>1516669
>Blinding flash of light
>Aeris looks up

Best ending in a final fantasy, so many warm feelings. It's clear that Holy etc. changes the world forever, but it's up to interpretation to what degree. The bonus ending hints that humanity is not wiped out (children laughing) but set on the path to harmony with the planet.

>> No.1526342

I want to replay this game, but I want to make it a little harder this time around. I feel like the Materia system has a lot of depth that really isn't explored because the game is too easy to justify going all out with experimentation. Can /vr/ vouch for any difficulty mods that remedy this? Do they justify another playthrough?

>> No.1526350

>>1526318
This. Midgar was only in ruins because there'd be no more Mako to run it. People would have just abandoned it.

>> No.1526367

>>1526342
in my opinion the most fun way to replay FF7 is to just rush it, dont stay in an area too long and if you're a real masochist: no materia

or well..no good materia

>> No.1526393

>>1526367
This is kinda tempting because materia management is a bitch. It's not really what I'm looking for though. I want to be forced to use my resources thoughtfully and effectively; I don't want to limit my options.

>> No.1526909

>>1526214
>All that incompetence, spaghetti, acting tough, and breaking up the other Turk's ale break.
Elena is way down the waifu list.

>> No.1526949

>>1507056
>2014
>Still no FFVII remake
Does Squeenix hate money that much? I replayed the shit out of this game back in the day, but it hasn't aged well at all. Mostly because the SD Popeye graphics were already shit back in 1997...

>> No.1526970

>>1526949
no matter how good it was, it would never be the same

it wont give you the feels you got or that "new" feeling everyone so desperately thinks a simple remake will give you

>> No.1526975

>>1526220

This. Tifa's sexy, but Aeris is beautiful.

>> No.1526986

>>1526970
What are you blathering about? Yes, it fucking will. I just want the same game but without it looking like shit and I'll be happy to give Squeenix all of my money.

>> No.1529020

>>1507745
no emoticons are acceptable

>> No.1529048

>>1526220
>Hipster answer: Jessie.
Most underrated FF girl.

>> No.1529049

>>1526970
Who cares? It'd be better than the mary sue developer waifu bullshit with Lightning.

>> No.1529643

>>1529049

What's wrong with Lightning?

>> No.1529943

FF7 Character Tier List

>God Tier:
Vincent
Barret

>High Tier
Cloud
Yuffie
Cid

>Mid Tier:
Red XIII
Aeris

>Low Tier
Tifa
Cait Sith

>> No.1529956

>>1529943

I found Vincent to be pretty bro for his appearance and outfit of a brooding werewolf

>> No.1529957

>>1529943
Red XIII is better than Vincent, I never use Vincent

>> No.1529984

>>1529957
No he's not

Vincent has the best magic stat in the game
Vincent has 255 accuracy and is the best deathblow user in the game
Vincent can literally 1 hit kill anything in the game
Vincent is completely invincible with Chaos with the right set up
Vincent has mug glitch

>> No.1529989

>>1529984
Okay tool box that plays the games based off statistics, I was implying I enjoy Red XIII as a character more

>> No.1529997

>>1529984
Vincent does not 1 hit Ruby Weapon... Ruby Weapon 1 hit kills Vincent...

>> No.1530002

>>1529989
Do you understand what a tier list is? idiot

>> No.1530012

>>1529997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5pDSxLHUI

>> No.1530017

>>1530002
Tier lists usually are opinionated towards preference.

>> No.1530034

>>1507943
I like how later on in the game, those dragons show up as normal enemies and they aren't even really that hard.

It's at that point the game is showing you, "See? You do have the potential to be as strong as Sephiroth."

>> No.1530037

>>1526220

i was honestly sadder when jessie died than when aeris died. she was just a basically normal girl caught up in the whole eco terrorist thing, and to top it all off the last thing she sees before she dies is the guy who she has a huge crush on who apparently does not give two fucks about her

>> No.1530042

>>1530017
Opinion-based tier lists are a retarded bastardization of what tier lists are supposed to be. It's another one of those things 4chan uses wrong.

Tier lists originated in competitive gaming, especially fighting games, to make a list of which characters are the best. They aren't based on opinion, they're based on statistics, usually based on performance in official tournaments, where the players are assumed to be using the characters to their fullest potential.

>> No.1530040

>>1530017
>Tier lists usually are opinionated towards preference.
>towards preference.
No, No they are not.

>A tier list is a method of ranking and grouping characters based on who has the most/least advantages and strengths

Back to gamefaqs with you casual faggot.

>> No.1530051

>>1530040
Simmer down. It's just video games.

>>1530042
Does it come from competitive gaming? I ask out of curiosity because competitive gaming is relatively new (compared to RPGs that is) and it seems likely that a tier list of sorts could come about from discussions of some 80s RPGs.

Just curious.

>> No.1530057 [DELETED] 

>>1530040
You lose all credibility with me by behaving like a massive cunt
See >>1530042
I'll listen to him, because he doesn't Add a whiny inflection on his post.

>> No.1530070 [DELETED] 

>>1530057
>That butthurt
No one cares, faggot.

>> No.1530073 [DELETED] 

>>1530070
>>/v/

>> No.1530086 [DELETED] 

>>1530073
>>>/reddit/

>> No.1530089 [DELETED] 

>>1530073
>>/v/
Here let me help you
>>>/out/

>> No.1530095 [DELETED] 
File: 8 KB, 248x251, 1276695004065.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1530070
plz go, you just sound like an angry teenager, or someone who never matured past that point in life.

>> No.1530108

>>1508096
I figured Meteor was some kind of magical construct of pure destructive energy rather than a literal meteor, and the Lifestream just sort of dissolved it.

>> No.1530113

>>1530095
Take your own advice.

>> No.1530129

>>1530108

Kind of like in fifth element, eh?

>> No.1530130

When I was a kid it totally went over my head that the Big Materia are the FF7 equivalent of the four crystals.

>> No.1530139

>>1530051
>relatively new
1991 is relatively new?

>> No.1530147
File: 457 KB, 805x1001, 1387258643037.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>FFVIII has Squall saying "..." and "whatever" every five minutes

>FFVI has a half-demon girl saying things like "Will I ever fall in love?"

>FFVII is the one that always gets singled out for being emo

>> No.1530152

>>1530147
>>FFVII is the one that always gets singled out for being emo

I literally have not seen the word "emo" since 2005.

>> No.1530160

>>1530139
Compared to the early 80s for RPGs and about mid 80s for JRPGs, yes, 1991, is *relatively* new.

>> No.1530171

>>1530152
Okay, then you obviously haven't been reading the thread?

>> No.1530173

>>1530012
I stand forrected, thnx for video fag, I love that battle musack

>> No.1530204

>>1529984
What's the Mug glitch?

I know Vincent and Barret can both one-shot Emerald Weapon with a physical attack, if you completely max out their ultimate weapons, but it takes a lot of hardcore poopsocking. With Vincent you have to kill like 64000 monsters, and with Barret you have to max out I think six Knights of the Round materias.

>> No.1530210

>>1530147
FF7 gets the emo stamp because of Crisis Core and shit like that. I think anyone who actually calls FF7 "emo" hasn't actually played it, and it just figuring it is because of the awful additions like Advent Children.

>> No.1530265
File: 25 KB, 413x448, ff7choc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1530147
I don't think either Squall, Terra or Cloud or emo. People seem to always use that word wrong. They are just moody, serious and quiet people, and kinda lacking in the social skill department. Kinda like most people on 4chan I would say.

Here, have a happy Cloud

>> No.1530284

>>1530265
Terra is half-demon and is always saying "will I ever know true love?"

Maybe emo is the wrong word... More like chuunibyou.

>> No.1530301

>>1530284
Yeah when I hear emo I think of teenagers listening to emo music, wearing a lot of make up and black and crying and being overly emotional, cutting their wrists and acting depressed ONLY for attentions sake. It's not their real personality, but it's something they do for attention. And it's usually only a phase.

This is not the same as being sad or serious or moody, which I think Terra, Squall and Cloud are. They don't do it for attention, it's just a part of their personality.

>> No.1530721

>>1530147
Considering how Terra is the most depressive character in FF (even more so than Squall - at least he had a wry sense of humor), I really feel VII gets a bad wrap. Cloud is confused and sometimes moody, but never really "emo".

>> No.1530730

>>1530301
>>1530721
I never thought of Terra as sad or depressive/depressed. Emotionless, maybe? Just assumed that the amnesia that came with her slave crown removal also removed emotion? I mean; it's never stated or even implied that this is the case, but it's just what I've always assumed.

>> No.1530737

>>1530721
Yeah it's annoying how people throw "emo" around but what can you expect on 4chan!

>> No.1530742

>>1530284
>Maybe emo is the wrong word... More like chuunibyou.
This flavor of the month kneejerk bullshit needs to stop. You have no idea what emo is and you certainly have no idea what chuunibyou is.

That stupid fucking show. Once it aired, everybody suddenly gained a new favorite word and of course everybody already knew what it was about long before the show was ever announced, right.

>> No.1530746

>>1530721

She seems like a person in a difficult situation. Cloud, a predecessor to the disgusting self-hating betamax that is Squall, takes breaks every so often to whine about shit.

I don't know, only you can make the call. VII, unlike the games after it, is still enjoyable. It's not great, though. But VI? That game's pretty sweet.

>> No.1530764 [DELETED] 

>>1530742
>You have no idea what emo is
Dude, I literally JUST SAID emo is the wrong word, and I'm no longer using it to describe her. Try to keep up.

>> No.1530776

>>1530742
>You have no idea what emo is
Dude, I literally JUST SAID emo is the wrong word, and I'm no longer using it to describe her. Try to keep up. I wasn't even the one who brought up "emo", that word's been used throughout this thread.

>> No.1530797

>>1530776
I think Anon is complaining about the use of grolious nihongo. Doesn't 'chuunibyou' mean something like 'acts like a middle schooler?'

>> No.1530814

I played 7 and 8 when they were new and thought they were amazing. Though i don't agree with the crowd that still thinks they are the greatest RPGs ever made. They have been surpassed, but they are still fun to revisit every now and then.

>> No.1530835

>>1507243
I fucking love me sum void man, but vii is still my favorite. Half nostalgia, half merits of the game

>> No.1530842

>>1507217
Do you trust anyone who calls the beast at the end of FFVI's floating continent "Atma Weapon"?

>> No.1530853

>>1530797
The literal translation is "eighth grade syndrome" and it basically describes that existential angst children tend to go through at some point in their teens, where they realize the world is a big place and they aren't as special and unique as they think they are. So they try to express their uniqueness in really shallow and obnoxious ways. Like claiming to be psychic or half-demon or something.

Terra has blue hair, is half-demon, and says things like "will I ever know true love?" Chuunibyou as fuck.

>> No.1531839

>>1510993
>>1510980
Oh man, I still remember the rush when I first learned about stealing powerful equipment that you couldn't get until after Midgar.

Hardedge from the Shinra Soldiers
A similarly tiered bangle from those robots balancing on a ball
A staff from a chariot dude in the train graveyard.

>> No.1531903

>>1530853
>Terra has blue hair, is half-demon, and says things like "will I ever know true love?" Chuunibyou as fuck.

But she actually is a half-demon with green hair, she's got legitimate reason to feel an existential crisis. I don't think this counts.

>> No.1532306

>>1531903
It doesn't count at all. Nigga watched a cartoon and thinks he acquired a sociopsychological degree.

>> No.1532372

>>1530012

the fuck? is this a glitch or something?

>> No.1532375

>>1532372

nevermind, read the youtube comments, i get it now.

sneaky.

>> No.1532438

>>1531903
Actually, according to the latest SE games, she's a blonde.

>> No.1532445

>>1532438
With green pubes, sure

>> No.1534452

I have really liked Final Fantasy 7 since I first got it. We played it with my brother and stepdad like there was no tomorrow, on 12 inch crt tv.
Just about a year ago I bought it again on psn store for ps3/vita, while it doesn't have all those
feels you would expect from nostalgia, it's still an engaging and a fun game.

>> No.1534480

>>1516669

The game gives you all the closure you need

The goal was to save the planet. Was the planet saved? Yes it was. All the followups ruined a god ending

>> No.1534501

>>1534480
I didn't give a shit about "the planet". Cloud and his feud with Sephiroth was interesting, not the Armageddon crap, that was just a plot device to lend urgency. I cared if Cloud survived or not.

>> No.1534541

>>1534501

Then you missed the frankly hamfisted message of the game entirely.

>> No.1534556

>>1534501

It was left open so that the player could decide if humanity deserved to live on or not. The planet was going to rid itself of everything harmful. Midgar becomes the promised land.

I hate the sequels so much

>> No.1534581

>>1534541
I don't care about the lack of closure (personally I think it's childish to want closure on everything) but he's right in that the meteor vs. planet angle is not as compelling as the Cloud vs. Sephiroth one.

It's like with FFT; the stupid demon/ancient evil shit isn't what makes the game interesting, it's the human characters and their human motivations and actions.

>> No.1534584

>>1534581
While I'm not a fan of the ending myself, I'd think the Cloud-Sephiroth thing was already resolved with him being killed twice over in the last two boss fights.

>> No.1534592

>>1534581

How do you not get closure with cloud and Sephiroth?

They have one of the best scripted fights where Cloud Omnislahes him to hell and gets his revenge.

>> No.1534648

>>1534584
>>1534592
I mean the sort of "happily ever after" closure that some people seem to crave. I liked the ending of FF7.

>> No.1534657

anyone mind share FF IX save file with everything collected at beginning of 3CD?, Treno Card Tournament, if possible. I missed _one_ mognet message. This pisses me off, because I've collected everything else. 100 nobles impressed, lvl 80 hippaul defeated, rare items stolen etc.

>> No.1535319
File: 73 KB, 500x583, 1353267284046.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1535345

>>1507542

FF7 is the most normalfaggiest FF, 8 comes second

>> No.1535384

>>1526949

OH MOTHERFUCKING HI, YOUR KIND WAS GETTING TOO LATE TO THE PARTY MOTHERFUCKER

Would someone post THAT ONE pic?

>> No.1535401
File: 84 KB, 890x1583, 1255305688226.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1535406

>>1535401

dangit, not THAT one. I do agree on it, however

>> No.1535413

Wooooowwww FF& totally not overrated. not even that great of a story

>> No.1535428

>>1535345
I always thought of VI as being the normalfaggiest.

>> No.1535437

>>1535428

>VI

Did Limp Biskit got featured in FF6 promotionals? Ah, right.

>> No.1535436

>>1535428
just because it's the best doesn't make it the normalfaggiest

>> No.1535465

>>1535406
>I do agree on it

Then you're stupid and probably a sheep that can't pay attention to a simple movie.

>> No.1535467

>>1535465

wow. thanks for those thought-provoking lines

>> No.1535472

>>1535465

>defending that piece of shit movie

This thread has been pretty terrible thus far, but it may just be the worst thing ever on /vr/ now.

>> No.1535482

>>1535472
I'm not defending it, but you'd have to be an idiot to think Cloud is nothing but "durr darkness so emo" in Advent Children.

>> No.1535491

>>1535482

Only that's just exactly what his character is.

>> No.1535497

>>1535491
Wrong. He's the same person he was in the game.

>> No.1535591
File: 22 KB, 400x400, 1288630243354.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535497
Are you for real? Cloud was never than bad in the game, even after the reveal that he isn't who he thought he was. I can get some angst playing off the whole "I let Aerith die" angle, but Advent Children took it way too far.

>> No.1535598

>>1535591
>I can get some angst playing off the whole "I let Aerith die" angle

Is that really the only reason you could possibly come up with to explain his behavior in the movie?

Jesus, you're really dense.

>> No.1535635

>>1535598
Seems like he wasn't defending the AC Cloud persona.

>> No.1535647

>>1535635
That was obvious. What's your point?

His behavior in the movie is perfectly fine if you stop and think about it for more than 30 seconds, and it's identical to how he acts in the game.

>> No.1536423 [DELETED] 

>>1532306
>sociopsychological degree
You do know chuunibyou isn't a real disorder, right?

>> No.1536431 [DELETED] 

>>1535591
>aerith
You're obviously too young to be here. Go away.

>> No.1538167

>>1534584

>you now realize cloud v. seph 3 was all in cloud's head

>> No.1540708 [DELETED] 

>>1536423
You seem to be infected with it tripfag.

>> No.1540734 [DELETED] 

>>1540708
Ignore. Hide. Report. He's only attention whoring by attacking people with tripcodes.

>> No.1541705

>>1507243

I'm just playing FFV now, prompted by playing the FFXII IZJS (which I would recommend to anyone, it's fun).

That job system in FFV is awesome. It's nice that you get access to most of the jobs fairly quickly too. Also the soundtrack is fucking great.

>> No.1545538
File: 41 KB, 1092x481, 1394550394835.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1535384

here, before this thread dies