[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 7 KB, 336x240, Gauntlet_screenshot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1476131 No.1476131 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /vr/ I wanna play Gauntlet, which is the definitive version? Are the sequels worth getting into?

Gauntlet thread I guess

>> No.1476138

You want the strangely named for a perfect arcade port + added content Gauntlet IV for Genesis.

>> No.1476170

I'm so sorry /vr/

They've announced that Gauntlet is getting a modernised reboot.

It's alright to cry.

>> No.1477058

>>1476138
How is it that the music is so good while the speech samples are so bad?

>> No.1477070

>>1476170
What is there to cry about? The gameplay trailer looked legit, and a lot better than that POS that came out on the PS2 roughly 10 years ago.

I swear you people will whine about everything dealing with modern gaming, won't you? Christ.

>> No.1477073

>>1477058
FM synthesis is awful for conveying voice. Conversely, sampling (as the SNES did) is great for voice. Doing voice on the Genesis is like using a fork to serve Jell-O; it'll technically work, but your dessert will be ripped the fuck up. However, when you use that fork to dig into a plate of tater tots, then you're gonna have yourself some delicious tater tots. FM synthesis, when programmed competently, allows for beautifully crisp and clean sounds.

>> No.1477074

>>1476170
Trailer looked ok. It's funny, I remember being upset about the Elf becoming the Archer in Legends/Dark Legacy and now that it's the Elf again, I find myself missing the Archer. I know it's basically a gender swap but it would be really nice if they let me choose.

Valkyrie also looks kinda wonky IMO but I'm sure stuff will get changed between now and then.

>> No.1477080

>>1476170
Considering it's by the devs who did Magicka (A game I already enjoyed in a similar, although more silly way to Gauntlet), I don't mind a bit. I might even bet that it'll turn out well if I didn't stay skeptical out of principle.

>> No.1477084

>>1477080
I started playing Legends again a few weeks ago so I'm actually a little hype right now. As long as I can talk some of my friends into it, it can't be THAT bad.

>> No.1477090

>>1477084
Yeah, I played Gauntlet alone a few times to catch up in level to my friends on the 64 version, but it's never the same. Gauntlet is certainly a game you need to have buddies with to play.

>> No.1477095

>>1476170
>>1477080
Goddamnit. Are those fuckers gonna parade around some bullshit about not using DRM and then change their minds and screw it over in the end again?

>> No.1477101

>>1477073
Except the voice samples in Genesis games aren't synthesized (with the exception of some "synth choir" sounds, which sound fine). They're samples, just like the drums in most games. There are some technical issues with sample playback on Genesis since there's not much hardware support for it, but you can definitely get good sample quality with careful programming.

HOWEVER, Gauntlet IV in particular had terrible voice clips, not just from a technical standpoint, but because whoever the announcer was had a bad case of tard voice.

>> No.1477107

>>1477095
I don't know, I missed all that. Got their game on steam with all the stuff that came with it for $5 as a whim, so I don't know what they promised.

Wait, wasn't that the shadowrun game that had that happen? I think that was Microsoft or something insisting on it.

>> No.1477109

>>1477107
It happened to Magicka too. Devolver Digital said they really cared about and were working hard to make a version without Steam DRM and it never fucking happened. Bunch of lying sellout pieces of shit, I was really looking forward to playing Magicka originally too.

Plus seriously Magicka is all right but it doesn't play like fucking Gauntlet, and this looks similarly wrong. WB should have hired the Hammerwatch team.

>> No.1477114
File: 155 KB, 376x428, michael bolton still upset.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1476170
Seriously, thanks for ruining my fucking night anon. I am so goddamn upset to hear about this.

Truly nothing is sacred.

>> No.1477396

>>1476170
>>1477114
Seriously have you guys seen the trailer? It looks good! I will more than likely be purchasing it provided it has silly voiceovers. And the IT monster.

BTW Gauntlet 2 for the atari ST is probably my favourite multiplayer game ever. Just don't forget to unplug your printer if you're playing without the parallel port adaptor or say high to mr yellow wizard who only goes left.

Redd worriorrr izz it!
Bloo wizzardd izz it!
Redd worriorrr izz it!
Bloo wizzardd izz it!
Redd worriorrr izz it!
Bloo wizzardd izz it!
Redd worriorrr izz it!
Bloo wizzardd izz it!
Redd worriorrr izz it!
Bloo wizzardd izz it!...

>> No.1478018

I like Gauntlet 4 for Genesis a lot. It has a port of the arcade original and a new campaign kinda thing. In it, you can spend exp obtained from killing monsters to increase different stats and spend treasure found for equipment items from merchants. There are four towers which, when completed, open up the final dungeon. The game also has a cool soundtrack by Masaharu Iwata and Hitoshi Sakimoto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGd395iSD80
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoPBLs-31Dc