[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 145 KB, 350x349, rondoofbrood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1473082 No.1473082[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Been in a Castlevania mood as of late and just beat pic related. I'm gonna play through Bloodlines and 3 next and move onto something else. Was thinking about playing the Ghouls and Ghost games but I keep hearing to just play Super Ghouls and Ghosts and skip the first two. Anyway Castlevania thread as well as any other games with similar gameplay and/or settings please

>> No.1473149

Skip the first 2? What kind of casual baby faggot are you taking advice from?

>> No.1473164

Whoever gave you that advice is a cock. SGnG is by far the weakest of the series. It's easier, sure, but the massive slowdowns and shitty level design that only serves to waste your time certainly don't make it any more fun to play.

>> No.1473185

>>1473082

Play the original GnG, either NES or Arcade. You''l feel strength welling up. In your body.

Also, maybe you would like to give Getsuu Fuhma Den a try.

>> No.1473196

>>1473185
I actually plan on playing Getsu Fuma Den too. So should I just play the arcade or nes GNG?

>> No.1473215

>>1473196

It depends on what you want. The Arcade version is more dickish, but the NES version has more glitches.

Arcade:
> Red Arremers are fucking psychics
> hidden armor is scarce
> last stage MAY force you to fight 2 unicorns at the same time in a small platform, depending on what version
>if you get to the last stage without the shield you're fucked

NES:
>Red Arremers have a set pattern
>axe and torch are shit
>hidden armor in every level
>Unicorns are now immune to the shield and Dragons immune to the lance
>last level has a hidden shield

>> No.1473217

What are some games with spooky occult/christian imagery besides Castlevania and GnG?

>> No.1473224

>>1473217
SMT

>> No.1473231

>>1473217
Maybe Splatterhouse? That's more of a slasher though but it has the creepy vibe at least

>> No.1473248
File: 45 KB, 512x512, PST_030.TMX_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1473224

I second that.

Also, I've read about this PSOne title called Silhouette Mirage, but haven't had the chance to play yet.

>> No.1473278

>>1473248
The English-language version of SM only alludes to biblical themes in ways that those unfamiliar with scripture intimately wouldn't catch, such as 'Gehena,' 'Megido' and 'Har/Hal.'
I don't know if it was more overt in other versions, though.

>> No.1473306

Oh cool, I just beat Rondo of Blood a couple weeks ago. Man, it's a fucking awesome game, but it makes more sense to play SotN next, as it is a direct sequel.

I moved onto La Mulana, thinking it would be similar. God, that was not fun. At all.

>> No.1473341

>>1473082
Richter is flipping you off in that picture.

>> No.1473345

>>1473341
MIND = BLOWN
What is seen cannot be unseen.

>> No.1473392

>>1473306
Right?

La Mulana isn't just difficult, it's fucking cruel.

>> No.1473465

>I keep hearing to just play Super Ghouls and Ghosts and skip the first two
What sort of moron is telling you this?
If you do that you'll miss the best game in the series.

>> No.1473559

I could never get Rondo of Blood to work in any emulator. I just get a black screen no matter what emulator/BIOS combination I try. Kind of a bummer.

>> No.1473727

>>1473082
Not retro, but OP, try out Maldita Castilla when you're done with those goblins and ghouls and ghosts.

>> No.1474370

>>1473164
I wouldn't say the level design is shitty. It's probably not as tightly-woven as Dai Makaimura/Ghouls n Ghosts, for sure, but Cho/Super is still a tough, fun platformer. I'd even argue that the double-jump is a worthwhile tradeoff for the multi-direction shooting in Dai.

I don't know about the slowdown, because I play on the Capcom Generations disc for the Saturn (PS2 also has no slowdown). I'd imagine those would be preferable to the SNES version. Plus, with either of those, you get all three games!

>>1473278
Well, the main character's code-name is "Messiah" so it's not TOTALLY unobvious.

>> No.1474386
File: 1.12 MB, 581x960, 2217271-box_cvdxc[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1473559

Isn't there a PSP emulator now?

The original Rondo is included in Dracula X Chronicles.

>> No.1474918

>>1474386
There is a good psp emu called ppsspp. Rondo of blood at least works in ootake.

>> No.1475127

>>1473559
Use Retroarch.

>> No.1475184
File: 95 KB, 700x613, 1395068569966.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1473082
I also recommend a playthrough of Simon's Quest. You may need a guide to point you in the right direction sometimes because the game is so badly translated. But I replayed it a year ago or so and was amazed how well it still holds up. It's a ton of fun.

Demon's Crest on SNES is also pretty great.

>>1473248
If can, get your hands on the Japanese version of Silhouette Mirage. Working Designs "re-balanced" the game when they ported it and essentially destroyed it in the process, turning into a grindy mess. The original is a fucking blast though

>> No.1475210

>>1475184
It's not badly translated. The Japanese script was just as bad.

>> No.1475217

>>1475210
Huh, I thought the Japanese version was supposed to have made more sense. Either way, it's still a surprisingly good game despite that about it.

>> No.1475220

>>1475217
Some of the townspeople lie or simply speak nonsense. It's true of the Japanese version, as well. There are Japanese websites that piss and moan about it just as much as the English-language sites do.

>> No.1475235

>>1475220
Well looks like I learned something today! I think the game is almost unbeatable without some sort of guidance. When I fist played it there was a kid in my class who gave me a clue about kneeling at the water with the crystal. There aren't many, but a few things like that are pretty obtuse.

>> No.1475250

>>1475235
No you were right. That guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, it was much clearer what you were supposed to do in Japanese than in English.

>> No.1475273

>>1475217
>>1475235
>>1475250
I'm not wrong. Some of the translations are poor, but not enough to break the game and most of the bullshit information is present in both English and Japanese versions.
See: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/diff
ctrl+f the phrase
> Truthfulness analysis on dialog text
Take a look for yourself.
If you want to read direct translations of the Japanese text of most of the dialogue boxes, ctrl+f the phrase
> "meaning"
>with the quotation marks, by the way
and look through the various entries in the grids following that text string.

>> No.1475291
File: 389 KB, 1000x512, curses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1475250
>>1475273
Well either way it doesn't matter. Anyone here isn't going to be playing the Japanese one regardless, so who cares? Someone coming to the game new is going to need a few pointers for the sections where the game is unclear about how to proceed.

But no one should let that put them off playing it, because despite the bad translation it's still a good game that's worth anyone who likes Castlevania giving a play through.

>> No.1475371

>>1473082
If you like the "classicvania" style games, the "metroidvania" ones are also worth playing. Their biggest problem is that collecting everything in them makes the games both grindy and very easy. But if you don't worry about getting everything, especially in one go and play through them at a good pace they're still quite good.

Symphony of the Night is the overall best
Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are all quite good as well.

Also, it's not retro at all but I should warn you against Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate. It's the worst Castlevania game ever by leaps and bounds and that includes the awful gameboy ones. It really is that bad.

>> No.1475382

>>1475273
>Claims Simon's Quest isn't mistranslated
>proceeds to post the definitive proof that it absolutely was
>claims he isn't wrong

Who taught you to read? There were dozens of examples that show how half-assed the English translation was.

Dude, Castlevania 2 is the fucking TEXTBOOK DEFINITION of horrible localization, I CANNOT believe you're defending it seriously.

>> No.1475391

>>1475382
What I don't get about his posts is that even if the Japanese version was also bad, that doesn't make the English version any better.

>> No.1475416

>>1475382
Who taught /you/ how to comprehend reading. I said
>Some of the translations are poor
but immediately following that, I also said
>but not enough to break the game
People complained about the bullshit information in the game by saying
> You may need a guide to point you in the right direction sometimes because the game is so badly translated.
But the fact that you might need a guide has nothing to do with poor translation as
>most of the bullshit information is present in both English and Japanese versions.
IE even grolious nipponais version was vague and difficult to understand. Claiming that
>the Japanese version was supposed to have made more sense.
and
>it was much clearer what you were supposed to do in Japanese than in English.
are both incorrect because the Japanese one didn't make much more sense than the English one in the first place.

Here's where you went wrong:
I didn't claim it wasn't mistranslated. I claimed that the Japanese script was just as bad.
I posted proof that the Japanese script was just as bad.

>>1475391
What part of
>just as bad
means
>is better than
to you? I never claimed it was better. I claimed both were bad. Because they are. Both are bad.

>>1475291
I agree. If anything, Bisqwit's retranslation does remove many of the ambiguities of the Japanese original and both of the English-language (PAL and NTSC) versions while maintaining the general theme and spirit of the game.

If 8-year old me could beat it without a guide by simply following the clues given me by townspeople and hidden books in the game when I'm not even a native speaker of the language in which I was playing it (English), then the more important bits were properly translated. The game isn't so broken that you can't figure it out by trying out each of the various clues. The frustration comes from the bullshit, not the mistranslation.

>> No.1475603

>>1475416
How did you figure out to kneel by the water? That was the main bit that stumped me as a kid.

Other than that, I still say it just doesn't really matter how bad the Japanese translation is/was. All that matters practically is that the English version is, which it is. Though reading through what you posted, I have to agree a little with the other guy in that the Japanese doesn't seem quite as bad. But whatever. Hopefully we're done talking about that and can get back to the thread.

>> No.1475641

>>1475371
>Symphony of the Night is the overall best
Take off the damn nostalgia goggles already. SotN is one of the worst Metroidvanias now on account of nearly all the subsequent games improving on it somehow.

>> No.1475775

>>1475603
Wander around with the eye equipped; books and items hidden hidden in breakable (via holy water) stone will be visible. In some woods or others (forgot which), there's one such book that states pretty clearly "kneel at the lake with a blue crystal to open a path" or something like that. IIRC, books never lie in this game but townspeople do.

>> No.1475780
File: 100 KB, 800x800, 1395091781359.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

M o o n c i r c l e
collect cards
beat tards

>> No.1476552

>>1475641
I agree, but you probably do have to at least admit that Symphony of the Night had some insane production values.
No other Castlevania game really looks or sounds as good.