[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 25 KB, 211x300, Metroid_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1456046 No.1456046 [Reply] [Original]

am i the only one who thinks this game sucks dick?

>> No.1456059

You're not the only one, but like others that do, you don't have good taste. =/

>> No.1456187

What's wrong with a female sucking dick?

>> No.1456225
File: 335 KB, 620x465, sexy.samus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1456046
It didn't age well.

In fairness, the designers were limited by the logistics of the time and lacked the capacity to save the game progress effectively.

In my opinion, at release, it was a hauntingly visceral game and I think the choice of making the main character female is a watershed moment in gaming history. It was a big deal at the time.

>> No.1456232

There's a reason it's the only Metroid with a remake.

>> No.1456249

>>1456225
>didn't age well

Translation: "I don't have a real reason so I'm going to resort to this meaningless phrase so I don't have to explain myself."

>> No.1456254

No OP, you're not the only faggot in the world.

>> No.1456256

It's a damn good NES game.
That is all.

>> No.1456262

The lack of a map really, really hurts it.

>in b4 draw your own

>> No.1456308

I thought that as a kid and have not given it another chance since. The mechanics are just busted.

>> No.1456331

>>1456262
It's not even that confusing.

What actually hurts the game is hunting for bombable floors. Same as Zelda 1.

>> No.1456337
File: 1.01 MB, 2610x1800, 1379072000672.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1456262
No, you're just being a little bitch if you can't remember where to go and the map. The problem with the map though is the lack of diversity so EVERY ROOM LOOKS THE SAME.

Amazing game nonetheless.

>> No.1456343

>>1456337
all areas are color coded

>> No.1456409

Dear anons,

It's ok to be respectful of the archetypes that led to more developed modern game design. They have flaws, but games had to get their feet wet and we disregarded the junk and built on the successes. Metroid was not only a success, but is warmly remembered by many. However, to answer your question - no. You are not the only one that thinks it sucks dick. My recommendation is to realize that it exists outside of modern critique (aside from constructive purposes) and to appreciate it for all it brought you.

Give Metroid a break, it still gets talked about decades later. That means it did its job.

>> No.1456412

It's pretty bad. But, I don't like Super Metroid all that much either, so whatever. Don't see the big deal in this series.

>> No.1456434

>>1456409
This.

>> No.1456435

If I owned a NES when I was a kid; I would have played the hell out that game. I played Desert Falcon on the 7800 instead.

>> No.1456447

>>1456249
I don't know, anons say James Bond 007 N64 didn't age well because of how clunky the play mechanics seem compared to modern shooters. I think it applies to Metroid too.

Super Metroid was so far beyond the original that going back to the NES afterwards might make OP think "this game sucks dick."

It may even make him angry enough to start a troll thread on a Anime image board about it.

>> No.1456480

>>1456249
Well let me do it for him

More bullshit and unforgiving then hard.
Shit secrets
Slow and clunky controls
Only 3 bosses and kraid is the only good one
Boring items, the only item i enjoy is the screw attacke
copy pasted rooms all over the place
shitty continoe system you pretty much have to finish it on one sitting. (The game is fairly short so I gues it's not that bad)
uninteresting enemies.

The game was good for it's time but when you compare the game to super and even it's remake it's not worth playing if you're not a huge metroid fan

>> No.1456487

I thought it was tedious, unfun, and a chore to play. I can see why people enjoy it, though. Not very enjoyable to me.

>> No.1456502

>>1456046
Yup, now go fuck yourself.

>> No.1456672
File: 9 KB, 512x480, Metroid.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

To those who think Metroid sucks, I have only one question.

Why?

It can't be because of its tight gameplay, space themed graphics, or soundtrack that was far ahead of its time. So why DO you think it sucks?

Is it because you get lost in the game and don't know where to go? Then you probably have the same problem with Super Metroid, don't ya? Except you know making the same argument against Super Metroid—a game well-liked on 4chan—will only get you called "casual" and that you need to "git gud."

In many ways, Super Metroid is an upgraded 16-bit version of the original. So I don't see how Super Metroid can be "one of the greatest games of all-time!", while Metroid only "sucks balls"! That's quite a difference in two very similar games.

Metroid, released to U.S. market in 1987, took the video game world by storm. I completed it myself back in the day without a guide. It was far ahead of its time and critics still consider it one of the all-time greatest games in the galaxy.

>> No.1456683

>>1456046
It was great for it's time: the soundtrack was more atmospheric rather than catchy, the gameplay was unique, it had a female protagonist and it gave a real sense of isolation. However the hardware didn't really do the game justice: every room looked the same, the controls were clunky, the lack of saving, most of the secret bombable areas were found by luck. When the SNES came out, the team finally had a console that could do their game justice and Super Metroid was created (and it's still a fantastic game to this day). But since the majority of the games in the series are so good, people fail to understand that the NES was seriously limited in what it could do.

>> No.1456708

>>1456480
That's not the gane's fault, that's your shitty opinion. You know that, don't you?
>copy pasted rooms all over the place
Yeah, in fucking 1987 they should have made it different.

>> No.1456724

I the only real problem with this game is that regenerating is a chore.

>> No.1456732

>>1456708
>But at the time it!

Who fking cares about then we are talking about today and it hasen't aged that well.

Tell me whats so good about nes metroid when comparing super and zero mission?

>> No.1456738

>>1456225
But it did age well; it's concept was ahead of it's time, reading nintedo power's letters to editors apparently many gamers were fascinated by having to explore instead of just walking right to a goal, and the japanese disk system version actually saved your game, and has been restored in romhacks if that's too much of an issue for you.

The "didn't age well" sounds to me like "it's too hard for the press X to win standards of today".

>> No.1456739

>>1456724
True, but it also makes the game very easy on NES standards if you're up for a little grind. On my first playthrough I remember only dying once, and even that on Mother Brain.

>> No.1456752

>>1456672
I also dislike it.
The biggest reason is because ZM is much better and takes any reason to play the original other than to see how it was.
But he original is ugly, has bad graphics, has shit physics.
As a NES game, it might have been ground breaking and I'll respect that, but as someone who started gaming in the following generation, I think it is bad and there are many other better NES titles that should take the spot instead of this title.

>>1456708
Kirby, CV1&3, Crisis Force, Shatterhand, Sweet Home... all had variety in their settings

>> No.1456769

>>1456752
>as someone who started gaming the next generation
I've never understood this. My first home console was a Playstation, but I'd had a Gameboy for years. Compared the original GB and GBC, the NES has damn nice graphics.

>> No.1456771

>>1456732
Age well isn't a concept I accept. What's the point of analyzing a game out of its contest? I say this because there are people who play retro games and say they are no big a deal, when they definitely shook the concepts of gaming in their own time?

>Tell me whats so good about nes metroid when comparing super and zero mission
It is the source material. It may not be the best experience to play it today, but without it both wouldn't exist.

>> No.1456781

>>1456752
All were launched 4 years or later than metroid.

>> No.1456793

>>1456752
>Kirby, CV1&3, Crisis Force, Shatterhand, Sweet Home... all had variety in their settings

Their settings were also separated parts of the games' memory whilst Metroid was just 3 huge open areas (Brinstar, Norfair and Tourian) and limited by the consequences of it.

>> No.1456794

>>1456672
>Metroid, released to U.S. market in 1987, took the video game world by storm.

I never heard of it in Europe. Took US and Japan by storm, maybe.

>> No.1456798

>>1456794
Because Europe digged the Master System instead, no?

>> No.1456803

>>1456232
In that case where is Metroid II remake? Metroid Zero Mission was a great remake and superior than the original. It sucks they didn't made the same thing with Metroid II which is the "weakest" game of the series (Other M doesn't counts).

>> No.1456805

>>1456798
That and computers. I grew up in a PC world so I didn't know anything about Nintendo franchises in any case. But I don't think anyone cared about Zelda, Metroid and co. before much later.

>> No.1456816

>>1456805
This. In Finland it was C64 and SMS, the UK had the Spectrum

>> No.1456813
File: 901 KB, 1811x1399, Family Game.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1456805
Fair enough, I grew in a third world of Famiclones, and people used to believe computers were only for schools, rich people and, much like that Simpsons gag, they would become several times bigger, and only the 5 richest kings of Europe would afford them.

>> No.1456829
File: 107 KB, 833x481, 1394386049475.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only place in Metroid that uses duplicate rooms to any extent (other than powerup rooms) is Kraid's Hideout.

If the problem is repeated segments (like pic related), then the same could be said for Zelda 1 dungeons (who use premade room layouts over and over).

>> No.1456843

It doesn't suck but ZM is the definitive version, much like REmake is the definitive version of RE1. Sure, there's nothing wrong with playing the original versions of these games, if only for the nostalgia, but there are better versions elsewhere.

>> No.1456889
File: 40 KB, 514x281, screenshot_metroid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1456843
Personally, I like the original Metroid better than the Zero Mission remake. ZM felt cramped to me. Many areas were too tight, and I was constantly bumping my head. Plus, I don't think Zero Mission's gameplay was as tight as Fusion's.

>> No.1456940

>>1456769
I'm just saying that while I didn't live in the NES era - having Genesis being my first experience - I, many years later upon discovering emulation: discovering the 32-bit, the 16-bit and THEN LATER the 8-bit libraries, I try to look at it without any bias against the graphics.
Some look good, some even are impressive today (fucking Recca) but some are just ugly.

It is also my opinion that GBC (though not GB) has better aesthetics than NES games, although not as powerful. But I don't think you'd find better looking games than MGS, WL3, Cannon Fodder, Micro Machines V3, Rayman...

>>1456781
>>1456793
Then it is outdated even to what came after in its same system. You're just helping me justify why I think it is aged.
I'm just answering the other Anon though.

>> No.1456956

>>1456046
>one of if not the best new soundtrack ever.
>i enjoy it more than super metroid

you fucked up op

>> No.1456992

The only people who don't like this game are babbys who can't beat it. When I played it for the first time a couple weeks ago, I sucked and I had a jerkneck reaction that it sucked and was mediocre. Then I grew some balls, acquired some patience, sat down and beat the thing, and I loved every second and felt a huge sense of accomplishment when I finished it. And I've since beat it a few more times, it's become one of those games I always revert to in my spare time because it only takes a short time to beat. It's one of the tightest, most refined games on the system. It's not as advanced as games that came most of two decades later? Gee.

>> No.1457009

I can't tell what's shittier; Metroid 1, or its insufferable tryhard fanbase. The game's difficulty is not my problem, because I have beaten TONS of games more difficult than Metroid. It's just boring as fuck. The enemies all have dead simple patterns and yet you have to wait for every single one of them line up with you to shoot in order to avoid damage just to prevent any need for grinding. 3 way only aiming does not add challenge, it just slows the game down a lot. Fucking stupid game design.

>> No.1457010

>>1456992
>the only people who don't like my favorite movies are kiddies who don't "get" them

>> No.1457018

>>1456672
>Is it because you get lost in the game and don't know where to go? Then you probably have the same problem with Super Metroid, don't ya? Except you know making the same argument against Super Metroid—a game well-liked on 4chan—will only get you called "casual" and that you need to "git gud."

I'm not sure anymore, but I think Metroid doesn't have an in-game map.

>In many ways, Super Metroid is an upgraded 16-bit version of the original. So I don't see how Super Metroid can be "one of the greatest games of all-time!", while Metroid only "sucks balls"! That's quite a difference in two very similar games.

I'd say Zero Mission is an upgraded version of the original, and nobody says that it's one of the greatest game ever made.

Saying that Metroid sort of laid the foundation, gameplay-wise, for Super Metroid and that, by extension, makes it just as good as Super Metroid doesn't make any sense.

>> No.1457038
File: 43 KB, 514x450, 1394392473960.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457018
>Zero Mission is an upgraded version of the original, and nobody says that it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Lots of people do, actually. I've often read statements here on 4chan of people claiming Zero Mission to be the best in the series.

>Saying that Metroid laying the foundation makes it just as good as Super Metroid doesn't make any sense.

Indeed Super Metroid may have been the better of the two games. But to say Metroid sucks, when it laid the foundation for one of the greatest games ever, also doesn't make any sense. Which was the opening line of this thread.

>> No.1457041

>>1457038
>But to say Metroid sucks, when it laid the foundation for one of the greatest games ever, also doesn't make any sense.

Of course it does. You don't see Street Fighter fans wanking themselves over the 1st SF game even though it laid the foundation for its sequel and all fighting games afterward. Why give a shit about an obviously inferior game when there's a much better alternative provided by the same company?

>> No.1457053
File: 4 KB, 256x224, Legend_of_Zelda_NES.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457041
>Why give a shit about an obviously inferior game?

So I should stop playing the original Legend of Zelda, because A Link to the Past is arguably an improved game?

>> No.1457059

>>1457053
"Obviously" and "arguably" aren't synonyms, they are opposites.

>> No.1457064

>>1456794
Nah, Metroid has never been popular in japan.

>> No.1457067

>>1457059
>"Obviously" and "arguably" aren't synonyms, they are opposites.
Exactly. So when you state Super Metroid being better than the original, that's your opinion. Not every gamer agrees. Perhaps I am one of them.

Still doesn't answer my question. So any game that is inferior to its sequel shouldn't be "given a shit" about?

>> No.1457070

I rented it in the mid 90s in blockbuster when I was like 11 years old, and I was surprised by how good it was for a NES game, I never understood the It aged Bad thing.

>> No.1457071

>>1457067
>So any game that is inferior to its sequel shouldn't be "given a shit" about?

No, but just because a game is great doesn't necessarily mean its predecessor is also good. In my opinion Zelda is a series with a first entry that is still good, while Street Fighter's first entry is utter shit.

>> No.1457072

>>1457053
This. I thought Super Mario Bros. 3 ruled, but I still enjoy playing Super Mario Bros. Fuck, just because SMB3 was an improvement, doesn't mean the original now sucks.

>> No.1457075

>>1457053
*objectively

>> No.1457082

>>1457071
>In my opinion Zelda is a series with a first entry that is still good, while Street Fighter's first entry is utter shit.

Well, I respect your opinion. If you don't like Metroid, then that's your taste.

>> No.1457126

>>1457070
>It aged Bad thing
It's something people use when they can't get into the right mindset for a old retro game.

>> No.1457135

>>1457009
"Insufferable, tryhard fanbase"? Come on, what are we, 15-year-olds on /v/?

Fighting every enemy is besides the point in Metroid. The game forces you to minimize conflict until you are properly equipped to steamroll the local flora and fauna. Obviously, that means the first couple of runs you are going to die, and be stuck camping at a spot to refill health and ammo. It's not going to be Contra.

If you keep moving, the game is paced very briskly. The same cannot be said of Zero Mission, which bogs you down in lame, uninteresting boss fights and lousy slow filler areas.

>> No.1457137

>>1457070
It's when people try to compare old games with new ones, for some stupid reason I don't know.

>> No.1457168

>>1456794
>Europe
>part of the video game world
>in any era

how delusional

>> No.1457179

>>1457137
This. Isn't a retro game a game with older/retro graphics and sounds? If you don't appreciate such games, why even come to a retro board?

I play Metroid and I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a space-themed game with good controls and music. It's very challenging and requires some thinking. Definitely not a game you beat on your first try.

>> No.1457302

>>1457135
the issue i had was the original metroid was the stupid sitting infront of a spawner camping for energy and missles every time you die moments.

You can't even make the argument 'well you dont NEED to camp for power ups' because you need a huge supply of missiles to kill the bosses.

I never got why they had this nonsense. The original zelda had fairy fountains to refill your hearts so you didn't need to grind. If you needed a certain item to clear the game (bombs for instance) there were shops everywhere.

They fixed the issue in metroid 2 by having health and missle refill stations.

If it wern't for the spawn camping and that one shitty corridor at the start of the game that loops for like 8 screens I'd consider the original metroid a good game.

>> No.1457324

>>1457179
>If you don't appreciate such games, why even come to a retro board?
Because primitives like Metroid and refinements like SotN can be discussed in this same board.

>> No.1457330

I don't think it sucks but I get bored quickly because of how samey everything looks. I beat it once for my collections sake but I don't see myself playing it again.

>> No.1457347

>>1457324
Why bother? Of course the newer versions will be better on many aspects, visually mostly. There's no point in doing it.

>> No.1457367

>>1457302
Well, lol, you don't need to use missiles on the bosses, really. Kraid is easily killed with morph-ball bombs (they tear him a new asshole quickly), and Ridley is so retarded that he shoots over your head the entire fight.

And mother brain needs something like 40 missiles to die, with the rest of your ~150 missiles being used on the zebetites.

As for energy refills, the trick is to save an etank at the beginning of the game to instantly refill your health before Tourian. By the time you are fighting Ridley/have the screw attack, enemies aren't really hurting you anymore.

I mean, once you get the ice beam, you can pretty much freeze an enemy and a) walk away, or b) kill them in one shot.

The long vertical shafts right at the beginning of the game is kinda lame though. At least there is some funky music going on in the background.

>> No.1457376
File: 173 KB, 600x450, 1381369299780.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So an actual discussion about tropes and cliches on retro vidya, with a very slight mention of modern vidya, gets janitor'd but this painfully obvious bair doesn't?

Hrm.

>> No.1457463

>>1457367
saving an energy tank at the begginning only works if
a) you are using a guide
b) you have have already played the game several times and know their locations

and even than the strategy is only good for 2 or 3 refills, you are going to die way more often on your early time.

the missle conservation you are talking about also only works if you played the game before. When I died in the origenal metroid I grinded till I had a stock of at least 50 missles because I didn't know how many I would need.

The grinding is shitty, which is why they fixed it metroid 2.

I can't even excuse it as a by product of the times because they already had stuff like fairy fountains and easy bomb restock in the origenal zelda to avoid power up grinding.

I still dont get how they overlooked this because most everything else about the origenal metroid is well designed

>> No.1457497

I speedrun M:ZM and Fusion, and I could tell you guys that I wouldn't ever compare Zero Mission to the original Metroid in terms of how good it is, or even how it plays. Even though it's a remake, they're two totally different games, and two totally different atmospheres. I can see how some people don't like the original (sometimes I get a little mad myself), considering how gimmicky it almost feels compared to playing the GBA remake. Playing ZM, however, makes me feel grateful that the original was made, and that's what keeps my love for retro vidya going, knowing that it all started from somewhere, even if it doesn't really feel like much of anything at times.

>I prefer ZM, but I also enjoy the original.

>> No.1457524

>>1457463
Given that Metroid came out in '86 and Zelda in '87, I'd say that mistake in Metroid taught them to not do it in Zelda. Most of the rest of it is spot-on, though, first-time players have a really hard time not getting lost.

>> No.1457527

>>1457524
>Given that Metroid came out in '86 and Zelda in '87
that's not even true

>> No.1457552

>>1456046
Not at all. Lot's of girls who take selfies making funny faces while holding a controller secretly despise it. You just don't hear about this because they publicly praise it as they think that makes them look like a hard core gamer girl

>> No.1457557

Like all the the people here assuming that disliking one old game must mean you hate all of them.

>> No.1457558

It's almost best to think of Metroid as more of a noteworthy proof of concept that's ideas would later be developed and perfected over time.

But that said...Blaster Master came out like not even a year's time after Metroid and gets so many things right...it's fairly damning to metroid in regards to it "being limited by the time when it was made"

So no, the game doesn't suck, it's just utterly hamstrung by the archaic design elements that it's new ideas can't fully overtake - like what it's sequels manage to do.

>> No.1457568

>>1457463
>When I died in the origenal metroid I grinded till I had a stock of at least 50 missles because I didn't know how many I would need.
What, against Mother Brain in Tourian?
That must have taken a whooping... TWO metroid kills to acquire?

>> No.1457632

>>1457568
The first time you play the game you dont know where the bosses are, how many there are, and how many missles it takes to kill. Until you know this stuff theres going to be some tedious moments where you grind for resources, probably a whole lot of them because you dont know what the minimum needed to proceed are.

>> No.1457638
File: 1020 KB, 751x1000, smart_wreckedship.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457463
Well yeah, of course you are going to die in your early time. That's sort of the whole point of these NES games. Struggle, fail, restart, etc., until you get it right.

I never really worried about missiles my early playthroughs, Health was a far more precious commodity. It's a pain, but after a few attempts, and figuring out where e-tanks are, you realize that you don't need to grind for health all that much. Again, this takes a few tries before realizing the trick.

I agree that grinding isn't fun, but that's why you 'git gud' at the game and start memorizing where things are. Or, heaven forbid, get a map of the game or the Nintendo Power. It's obvious that the sequel would remove most of the complaints of the original game. It doesn't make the original Metroid any less fun.

>>1457558
Blaster Master also has those less-than-stellar overhead levels, so it's not like it gets 5 gold stars.

Metroid is a game you have to digest and sample, instead of gobbling it all down. It's not an arcade game, though it shares many elements with arcade games. I'm not denying it's rough in some spots, but after a few tries, everything clicks and it's a great experience.

I didn't like the game at first either, but I kept with it and managed to beat it years ago. Now it's a "replay once a year" type of game for me.

>> No.1457653

>>1457638
you are trying way to hard to defend an obvious flaw

"its a game about exploring and getting lost. get a map to ruin the experience for yourself"

"its a game about struggling, failing, and trying again" grinding for power ups doesnt need to be a part of it. In zelda you didnt grind for hearts because thers a fairy fountain a few screens from the starting area, in blaster master you didnt grind for life because the game just refilled it when you died.

the grinding shit wasn't good by any measure thats why the next game they made they removed it with scarcly placed health and missle refill stations

>> No.1457665

The existence of Super Metroid makes the original pointless

I can't think of a single thing the first one does that Super doesn't do better, or anything present in the first that I miss when playing Super

>> No.1457672
File: 957 KB, 930x1558, samushelmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457653
I didn't say grinding was fun.
I'm saying that once you figure out the game you don't need to grind.

>>1457665
Original has better music, better difficulty, better color palette. Arguably better atmosphere.

I love both, but let's remove the rose tinting.

>> No.1457676

>>1457653
>In zelda you didnt grind for hearts
Well no, you grinded for rupees.

>> No.1457760

It's the third best Metroid game, after Super and Prime. And it's better than its remake.

What a mesd ZM was.

>> No.1457767

>metroid
>grinding
What the fuck are you kids doing here? Back to /v/ please.

>> No.1457774

>>1457767
Tell me how else you're supposed to refill every one of your energy tanks, or even the other 2/3 of the one you start the game with.

>> No.1457778

>>1457665
The first game does challenge better and the thrill of discovery is greater because there's no map.

>> No.1457779
File: 21 KB, 317x267, 1393645609557.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457665
>The existence of Super Metroid makes the original pointless

Do SM faggots actually believe this?

>> No.1457783

>>1457774
Who said you had to?

Do you stop at every gas station to ensure your take is filled to the brim at every possible second?

Your OCD is not a design flaw in Metroid.

>> No.1457790

>>1456046
Honestly never liked it. Seemed pretentious even back then, if I knew what that word meant when I was 10 years old. My brother loved it but even so it wasn't the kind of game he could go back to again and again for quick fun.

>> No.1457809

>>1457760
>What a mess ZM was.
Amen. I really enjoyed exploring the original, labyrinthine Zebes and while Super pared that down, it made up for it with tons of solid original content and tight level design. Zero Mission didn't.

>> No.1457818

I don't think younger gamers (not just meaning children, but basically anyone who didn't grow up with the game or during the time that it was released) can appreciate it for what it was. Excellent game but I don't think younger people can understand how great it was for it's time, or how much it deviated from the norm.

>> No.1457832

I grew up playing the original 8-bit NES and Metroid. That being said, the only Metroid games I liked were the original, Super, Fusion, and Prime.

(I know Fusion was linear, and therefore somewhat different from the previous Metroids, but I still loved its classic Metroid action and exploration when it came to finding the various power-ups.)

>> No.1457839

>>1457135
>Come on, what are we, 15-year-olds on /v/?

Yes, you people certainly are. All the shitposting in this thread is primarily coming from Metroid fans who can't deal with a differing opinion on their childhood favorite.

>> No.1457842

>>1456708
>Yeah, in fucking 1987 they should have made it different.

That's the definition of "aged poorly" you blind nostalgiafag.

If a game is shitty and the only thing you have to defend it is "b-b-but muh technological limitations", then it has aged poorly. That's what the phrase means. All the people in this thread (and in every thread about Metroid or Goldeneye) saying "there's no such thing as aging poorly!" then turning around and saying "it's okay that it was shit because it was made a long time ago" don't realize just how badly they're contradicting themselves.

>> No.1457862

>>1457842
Seriously. Defending a game by saying "well it's an old game, what can you expect. It's dumb to compare it to newer games." is pretty much saying it's bad, but it's okay because it's old. Of course it's silly to whine about things like graphics, but if a game is designed well it should still hold up despite later improvements.

>> No.1457905

>>1456672
>>1456889
>>1456992
>tight gameplay
>tight

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

>>1457053
No, it just means you shouldn't list the original Legend of Zelda above LttP on any sort of Best Games list just because it came first, which is what nostalgiafagging Metroid fans do all the time. Flintlock muskets came before M16 assault rifles but which would you rather have in a firefight?

The original Metroid will always have value for its historical contributions, but don't talk about it like it's some ageless masterpiece because it isn't. And this is coming from someone whose first game console was the Intellivision. It's OK to admit that an innovative game kinda sucks when compared to what we have in modern times.

>But it doesn't suck
But it does. Even these people >>1456708
>>1456771
>>1456992
admit it. Diehard fanboys of the game cannot defend some of its flaws without resorting to the "technological limitations" argument, which is still ADMITTING THAT THE GAME HAS FLAWS.

>> No.1457907

>>1457862
I think Metroid has held up well despite later improvements. I can't say the same for Fusion or Zero Mission, which after a point are only fun to speed-run (and you can't even have fun speed-running in Fusion because of all the boring debriefings).

What I like about Metroid and to an extent, Metroid II, is how pared down and straight-forward it is. It's a very tight game, and really sells you on the whole "explore a hostile alien world" thing. The game's main areas are all to the point, challenging, and set up in an almost organic way. Later entries would definitely feel more video-gamey (ZM and Fusion, by contrast, have next to no atmosphere, though ZM is worse in that regard).

>> No.1457915

>>1457905
Since when are having flaws and "sucking" equatable?

No one denies the farming enemies or sometimes obtuse progression. Metroid is still a good game in spite of those flaws.

>> No.1457929
File: 16 KB, 375x375, constanza belittles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457842
>If a game is shitty and the only thing you have to defend it is "b-b-but muh technological limitations"
But it isn't shitty, whiny brat, your taste just sucks. It may have its flaws and it may not be complete, but it was a huge succes because it was good. And if you forget all the bullshit agin well argument, and pretend for a second its 1987, you'll understand whart I'm saying. Don't analyze games out of context. Don't be retarded.

>> No.1457940

>>1457929
good games are good games. if a game is only good because "but think about the context, man! all this shitty shit was great despite there being many better games released in the same timeframe!" it's not a good game.

>> No.1457950

>>1457940
Again, I didn't say it is bad, you said. You just have shit taste. I just hope someday you see this "age well" concept is bullshit.

>> No.1457959

>>1457950
I didn't say anything about aging. The game is just bad compared to good games of its time.

>> No.1457964
File: 246 KB, 335x440, kinaman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457959
>being this stubborn and stupid

Why won't you people just admit you hate Metroid because you suck at it. Print a map of the game areas and game away.

Want a bad game?

Cheetahmen II, I rest my case.

>> No.1457989

Man, it sure is an exciting discussion full of thoroughly substantiated claims.

>>1457964
Seriously. Just print a fucking map, or stop bitching about how a game isn't as good as Ninja Gaiden relative to its release or other asinine shit.

Or maybe people like complaining.

>> No.1457997

>>1457135
>Come on, what are we, 15-year-olds on /v/?

It's funny you say that because the Metroid 1 fanbase on /vr/ behaves exactly like the Dark Souls fanbase on /v/.

Both are completely 100% incapable of admitting even the tiniest flaw in their game. If forced into a corner they'll try to claim the flaw actually makes the game better somehow.

Both will actively shit up other threads in order to wank about how great their game is. Actually this even spills outside /vr/ sometimes; I've seen Prime threads in /v/ get shitposted by Metroid 1 nostalgiafags.

Both belittle anyone who doesn't like their game by saying "what's the matter TOO HARD FOR YOU?" To them the only reason anyone could possibly dislike this obvious masterpiece is because they suck and can't beat it.

On that note, both are under the delusion that their game is a lot more difficult than it actually is, and constantly pat themselves on the back for how hardcore they are for beating it. When in reality there are far harder games within the same franchise, and most of the difficulty that does exist disappears once you get used to the mechanics.

Really, tell me I'm wrong. Name one thing you didn't like about Metroid or thought could've been done better. Just one. Anything at all. You can't do even that much, can you? To you it's a flawless masterpiece and deserves to top every Top 10 list ever made for all time.

>> No.1458003

>>1457997
>an old NES game has a couple of flaws
>therefore it is a bad game

yeah, okay

>> No.1458087
File: 2.01 MB, 1230x1000, jpguide1_dustjacket.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457997
Man, you are way too mad for this conversation. Calm down and post again when you've run out of strawmen.

See:
>>1457907
But your post was more of a "stirring the ruse pot" post, so it's probably not worth bothering.

>> No.1458092

>>1458087
Wrong post. I meant:

See:
>>1457915

>> No.1458335

>That fucking vertical shaft with the shootable blocks you have to jump up to get out of Kraid's Lair after wrecking his shit.
I hate that room so much.

>> No.1458734

>>1457964
They can't admit that because the reason they're bad at it is because they have issues, usually autism and ADHD. The same issues that make them incapable of playing the game make them incapable of acknowledging they have a problem or forming coherent statements.

>> No.1458742

>>1457964
I will never understand the fallacious thinking that is "You don't like it, therefore you aren't good at it."

I mean what?

>> No.1458795

>>1456992
Nigga, u wrong.
I've beat it, multiple times, and I quite prefer Zero Mission and the later entries.

>>1457638
>It's obvious that the sequel would remove most of the complaints of the original game. It doesn't make the original Metroid any less fun.
Maybe not for you, but for a lot of people it does. This thread alone should be evidence of that man.

It goes right back to the Street Fighter example an anon used earlier. Things done better in later Street Fighter games CAN diminish the fun of the earliest entries. It's the reason why no one plays SF1 anymore.

>>1457997
Don't forget
>There's no such thing as aging poorly
>but comparing it to newer games isn't fair
Just fucking admit that things can age badly, but you don't think Metroid has, and explain your reasoning. Fucking hell.

So far the strongest argument I've heard for Metroid being great is the atmosphere and "tightness". Personally, I chalk that up to the technological limitations of the time. Zero Mission pretty much proves that, given better hardware, the game wouldn't have been as sparse, and the whole "lost on a dangerous alien planet" motif would have been lost on a lot of you faggots who can't into imagination if they aren't given screens filled with 90% empty and 10% simplistic graphics.

I can understand loving the original, as simplicity does have a place in game design, and the atmosphere created by the technological limitations can feel more immersive to some people. But quit being dicks.

>> No.1458807

>>1456480
See, I don't understand. The game ALWAYS had those problems. 26 years ago and now. It didn't age into those problems. People I knew were complaining about that stuff then.

Instead of saying "it aged", just list those problems.

>> No.1458820

>le nostalgia goggles

can't break 'em

>> No.1458872
File: 839 KB, 798x1200, 1392327185701.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love metroid. And by that I mean I FUCKING LOVE METROID. But god fucking damnit I tell everyone to play Zero mission and skip the first one.

>> No.1458892

>>1458734
but what if you hate the backtracking personally i dont like back tracking at all yes sucking at games is a reason to stay away from it but back tracking is a fucking bitch also figuring out where to go is a pain

>> No.1458903

>>1457376
Janitors are retards, who knew?

>> No.1458909

Yeah, there's a reason Metroid: Zero Mission was made, OP. Grab a GBA copy of it and don't worry about any other version of OG Metroid.

>> No.1458912

It's okay. It's not really deserving of it's GREATESTY GAEM OF ALL TIEM INFINITY PLUS ONE bullshit, but then so many games are overrated by their fanbase to an absurd point for. Nintendo kids are notorious for this. Most the games, while I can see their merit, are the same as when people tell funny stories and no one laughs so people say "well I guess you had to be there."

I guess I had to be a bored kid playing Metroid on the NES in 1987 to "get it"

>> No.1458942

>>1458912
>It's not really deserving of it's GREATESTY GAEM OF ALL TIEM INFINITY PLUS ONE

Who has ever called Metroid the best game of all time. Who? I see people defending it because not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, so that means they think it's the best game ever?

>> No.1458961

>>1456046
didnt like it as a kid, i like it a bit more now but still dont enjoy it. I never enjoyed metroid/castlevania type games. I was more content with playing Ice Hockey with my brother. I traded it back in the day for Solstice and never regretted it

>> No.1458987

>>1456046
>am i the only one who thinks this game sucks dick?

No, I didn't care for it either but I liked Metroid Fusion on the GBA which had similar game play.

>> No.1459304

>>1457041
SF1 doesn't even really count.
That being said, Street Fighter II is the best game and every sequel is shit

>> No.1459463
File: 257 KB, 894x1300, 1386569890628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the main reason metroid 1 hasnt "aged well" is quite simply that the gameplay is so basic but with an overly complex environment.

im NOT saying that the environment is bad, was designed poorly or even that its "too hard". Im saying that the environment is simply too vast and repetitious for it to effectively compete with the huge catalog of titles released after it.

i personally cant into metroid 1 at all. ive tried at least 6 times with me usually becoming lost. its aggrevating because metroid as a whole is one of my most treasured series.

however vain this might sound, i normally play games on their hardest difficulty to experience the real challenges they have to offer so i cant really claim that metroid 1 is too hard for me, i just cant get into it conceptually.

>> No.1459480
File: 397 KB, 751x1000, 1394407700897.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1457638

what the hell germany?

>> No.1459489

>>1459463
>all these excuses instead of saying "I suck"
You guys do really try hard.

>> No.1459491

>>1456046
I played it for the first time last year and the only big problem was grinding for health and missiles which caused the game to become horribly dull at times. If the drop rate was higher or there were recharge stations it would easily be a 10/10

>> No.1459492
File: 392 KB, 751x1000, 1394487476373.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1459480

>> No.1459493

>>1456225
>I think the choice of making the main character female is a watershed moment in gaming history. It was a big deal at the time

The reality is she was only female because
>it was a ripoff of Alien
>the game complete reward was a bikini shot

It wasn't like a big step forward for games and everyone knows Samus being female wasn't anything other than titilation and cashing in.

>> No.1459513
File: 37 KB, 690x408, 1215721866877.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1459489

its not about that and you know it. the gameplay is BORING. there is little incentive to continue playing or exploring. its OLD. they didn't have the experiences that every game after it provided. It is hard, perhaps due to the controls or the enemies not being within shot distance/trajectory 75% of the time

metroid 1 is not a good game. there, i said it. its old and wonky and in a few places broken.

>> No.1459524

>>1458807
Aged poorly means that the reviewers were to busy eating doritos to notice obvious flaws. The only part of a game that ages are the graphics and even that isn't much of a problem if the game has a good art style.

>> No.1459551

>>1459524
Name them.

>> No.1459574

>>1459551
I was talking about the phrase as a whole, the only problems I had with metroid were the boss fights not being that great and grinding for health and missiles taking a long time. Both of these things are problems that other NES games didn't have so saying that the game has aged poorly is ridiculous.

>> No.1459576

>>1459574
I can accept the boss fights part, but what did you expect from a game based on a soldier in a hostile planet? I know it is a dull job, but it'salso more realistic.

>> No.1459585

>>1459574
>Both of these things are problems that other NES games didn't have

Going to have to disagree. LoZ didn't start you at full health when reloading a game, but you always had a handy fairy fountain to go to.

In addition, grinding in other NES games (like FF or DQ for example) got you some nice benefits (namely more levels and some cash to spend on shit) whereas in Metroid, it's just there to get you back to full power.

>> No.1459632

>>1459585
It's also an exploration game, and having to stand around not exploring grinding mobs at no real risk kills the mood. I really think that hidden recharge rooms similar to the fountains in Zelda would add to the game by encouraging exploration.

>> No.1459639

>>1456672
the improvements made to Super Metroid, like many of the 'Super' games, made the originals flaws stand out to the point of unplayable.

Back then gamers weren't concerned with continuity or stories between games or evolution of technology. It was bang for the buck. For most there were 2 generations of consoles and the second was objectively better.

if you had both systems: $60 for Super Metroid or $40 for the original.

>> No.1459650

>>1456409
this.
also the core gameplay was never changed and does most of the heavy lifting as Metroidvania inspiration.

>> No.1459667

>>1456331
Wut? You can only bomb in the middle of the wall in Zelda. It's far from confusing

>> No.1459684

>>1459632
I actually like this idea.

Some of my most fun experiences in games are games that require exploration that I get lost during and almost die but find something to save my life.

>> No.1459725

>>1458087
>That Ridley and Kraid
d'aww...

>> No.1459743

>>1458892
Backtracking and not knowing where to go is part of having an open world game. The Metroid map isn't that big and even the original manual provides the basic layout and information on it's structure and what's located where.
The only people who have problems with Metroid are spazzes. They rush through, don't collect powerups/items and won't read the 3 flashcard sized pages of the manual about where things are.

>> No.1460381
File: 82 KB, 603x640, 3232005188_c4feec1a88_z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1458087
Browsing through
Just stopped by to say fuck you.
You know why.

>> No.1460387

metroid probably the first game i ever played, besides super mario.
I have a lot of respect for it. but it sucks.
i'm good at it. i can beat it. map is memorized.
it's a clunky, slow, boring, overly methodical piece of shit.

>> No.1460402
File: 1.03 MB, 759x1000, smart_tourian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1458795
The street fighter example doesn't actually work.

In SF's case, there is nothing done in SF1 that wasn't done better in SF2.

However, there are things in the original Metroid that make it stand out from its sequels, which means there IS a reason to go back and play it. You bring up Zero Mission, which I think is weak and watered down in comparison to the original.

Super offers a lot of interesting takes on the original's formula, but it doesn't wholesale replace everything that made the original great, or even Metroid 2. The three games are sufficiently different (and imo, excellent) to warrant their own appreciation and enjoyment. You'll have to tune out retards like >>1458734
who are only trying to flame and derail the discussion, but on the whole, the original trilogy is a diverse and outstanding effort from Nintendo.

I have a harder time saying that about Fusion and Zero Mission, because there is little they bring to the table (Fusion has more going on for it, but the Nav Rooms just kill it). ZM just adds a lot of unncessary stuff to the straight-forward run-and-shoot of the original Metroid, and the enjoyment in that game for me only really comes with speed-running (and I've done the whole 100% sub-2-hours, 15% hard mode runs). Plus with ZM, there is no point injecting Super Metroid into the original Metroid, because Super Metroid ALREADY did that, making ZM feel more superfluous for me.

I won't deny that it controlled well and looked nice enough, but it doesn't have the same feel or enjoyment.

I started the classic series with Metroid Fusion, and the last game I beat was Super Metroid, so it's not like I've been with the series from the beginning. It's just that as I've played the games, and replayed them, the virtues of the earlier entries are quite clear, as opposed to the latter ones.

>> No.1460476

>>1460387
Why do you play shitty games all the way through. Is it an OCD thing?

>> No.1460482

>>1460387
Worst thing about Metroid is that it had to shit up the Castlevania series, too. Though I guess its God of War that's shitting up the series these days.

>> No.1460494

>>1460482
>blaming a game series for inspiring the developers of another game series to copy it

>> No.1460496

If my health didn't reset after each death forcing me to farm health then it'd be okay. Otherwise it's too grindy.

>> No.1460514

>>1460496
If you can't play Metroid with 30 health, then you probably can't play Contra without 30 lives.

Who'd have though /vr/ was so casual?

>> No.1460519

>>1460514
This is the forum that thinks that DKC is hard.

>> No.1460557

>>1460514
I've beaten Contra 1cc and would prefer not to play Metroid with 30 health.

Call me casual or whatever you want. Word doesn't even mean anything anymore.

>> No.1460564

>>1460557
Sure you have.

The only benefit to having full health in Metroid is that you can take a zillion hits. At that point you're not even trying. It's pretty obvious that the decision to start the player off with a third of a health bar was not an arbitrary one. There would be absolutely zero challenge otherwise.

>> No.1460570

>>1460564
>Sure you have.

Believe me if you want or not. Doesn't matter to me. It's not like Contra is hard.

I just don't prefer to play Metroid with 30 health. Just my preference.

>> No.1460596

>>1460570
Metroid isn't hard either. So either you really suck at games or you have some weird OCD. Either way, Metroid is awesome.

>> No.1460612

>>1460596
>Metroid isn't hard either.

Never claimed it was. You seem to be trying to start an argument with people for the hell of it.

>> No.1460739

It's OK. Metroid II and Super improved on it a lot.

>> No.1460742

>>1457665
Super's music is nowhere near as good.
Super is more linear.
Super has too many blocked paths, inhibiting exploration.

>> No.1460751

I'm playing the first Metroid now, give me some tips.

>> No.1460754

>>1460751
set your filters to maximum

>> No.1460759

>>1460754
Its the virtual machine version on 3ds.

>> No.1460798

>>1460751
Shoot everything. Make your own maps if you want (areas are pretty small)

>> No.1461507

>>1459463
I'd still rather play Metroid than Megaman on the SNES.

>> No.1461512

>>1460751
Yeah, go after kraid first. You're either going to quit at the wall and won't have wasted your time, or you'll beat the wall and progress onto beating the game.

>> No.1462331

>>1461512
>Kraid first
But Ridley's easier.

>> No.1462896

>>1457905
What if I think Zelda 1 has a better concept and execution than ALttP?

>> No.1463276

>>1462331
Sure, it's not about whose easier, it's about the fact that the wall room is a source of pain for people and who may quit and it requires only skill and patience and you really won't die there. It's better to get that room out of the way first and foremost.

>> No.1463283
File: 146 KB, 455x379, watchutalkinboutraylan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>people shitting on Metroid

y'all niggas gay

>> No.1464702

>>1459493
Everyone except anyone who has read developer interviews.

>> No.1464715

No, but you're a casual faggot for thinking so.

Metroid is awesome.

>> No.1464720

>>1456337
>EVERY ROOM LOOKS THE SAME.

The entire point of the game is for it to make you get lost and disoriented. Of course a lot of rooms look similar.

>> No.1464728

>>1459639
>It was bang for the buck.

Which the original Metroid had in spades. Metroid was a game people poured months into, whereas Super Metroid was easily beatable in a weekend without a guide. Just like how people were let down by Link to the Past being so easy and not having a second quest, people were let down by Super Metroid being so easy.

>>1456752
I would honestly rather play Metroid than Zero Mission. Zero Mission completely removed everything special about Metroid.

>But he original is ugly, has bad graphics, has shit physics.
Now you're just being a complete casual, especially when it comes to the game being "ugly" and having "bad graphics." The game has the physics it does because you are expected to carefully plan every move you make, because missing a jump has real consequences.

>> No.1464748

>>1464728
>whereas Super Metroid was easily beatable in a weekend without a guide.
So was Metroid.

The only reason Metroid would take months is that because you bomb jumped every wall possible and scanned every nook and cranny. The only reason it's shorter in SM is because X-ray vision, if it weren't for that you'd still be bombing every wall taking months.

>> No.1464845

>>1464748
>if it weren't for that you'd still be bombing every wall taking months.

Not really, no. Super Metroid constantly leads you on the correct path at all times. It's effectively impossible to get lost in SM. Even without the X-Ray Scope (an item you have to go out of your way to get in the first place, so a first time player may not even find it) you can easily beat it since there's so many things impeding you from exploring.

>> No.1465621

>>1456046
Boring game even for its time.

>> No.1465637

>>1465621
I kind of agree with this, but I think part of it is due to me being so bad at playing it as a little kid. I did put some time into it and was just not good at all.

I somewhat appreciated the desolation and sparseness of its level design, and of course the music set a very memorable atmosphere. I did not like Samus's character design and weapon selection, or the uninteresting enemies.