[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 84 KB, 640x640, 1386267837431.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1436138 No.1436138[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

If you could give one tip to someone who is just getting into retro game collecting, what would it be?

>> No.1436143

>>1436138
Just fucking emulate it and save yourself some beer money.

>> No.1436145

Are you collecting for the sake of owning, or buying for the sake of playing? If the latter, go to the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. If the former, stick to thrift stores and garage sales.

>> No.1436150

>>1436143
This - except instead of beer buy PS2 games with your money.

If you don't wantto emulate retro then pirate. There are solid methods for every system.

If you absolutely must collect retro, collect Genesis if you want cartridges or PlayStation 1 if you prefer discs. They're the only systems that are both popular and still reasonably priced (for now)

>> No.1436153
File: 347 KB, 512x384, 1385938315381.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The more popular the game is, the less you should pay for it. ie. super mario world, it was really popular back then so there are lots of those around.
You shouldn't be paying insane amounts for a game that has gazillion copies floating around.

>> No.1436157

Be a cheap bastard. Really, really cheap. People sometimes sell you incomplete or "broken" shit dirt cheap just because they don't know what to do with it.

>Jap copy of Pokemon Gold for 5 dollors
>"Broken" 360 for 15 dollors, only had to tinker a bit with the insides
> Second model SNES with all parts, ready to go for 15, bought from a granny
>dollors

God, I love the flea market

>> No.1436161

>>1436157
This. There's always going to be some insane deals when you buy "broken" consoles from people who can't into technology. I bought Sega Saturn for 10 euros because the save function didn't work.
I just replaced the battery thingie inside and then save worked again.

>> No.1436201

you can find lots of used games on ebay or craigslist

>> No.1436221

>>1436138
Buy old games you like, then buy more games you think you might like.
Play them however you like.
Pay dollar amounts that seem reasonable.
Don't be afraid to buy broken things with the intent of repairing them; just actually repair them eventually.

dats all I got.

>> No.1436232

>>1436143
No, I want to collect. There's something about owning the actual, official game and box.

>>1436145
Both, owning more so. I'm definitely looking for deals. Do people still go to flea markets? I thought pretty much all old games were being sold on Ebay.

>>1436150
PS2 is what I'm collecting, actually. Why do you like those games for collecting?

>>1436153
This makes sense and it's what I'm finding. The weird part is even shitty games are expensive if they're rare.

>> No.1436237

>>1436143
This. While I enjoyed (and still do enjoy) playing these games, the way the market is right now is absurd, and more people getting into it will just make it more absurd. Unless you can keep your collecting cheap (for example, if you live in Japan and are buying cheap as fuck Saturn or PSX games), it's not a market I would think anybody would want to support at the moment. The more you're willing to pay now, the more you're going to end up making yourself pay even later.

>> No.1436239

>>1436232
>PS2 is what I'm collecting, actually. Why do you like those games for collecting?
Because they're cheap now and won't be later. Look at PS1 now; prices of good games are starting to increase. It'll happen with PS2 at some point also. It's inevitable.

>> No.1436240 [DELETED] 

sweet! I was given a Minecraft Upgrade Code and it was legit! Got it at http://minecraft.cardcodes.net

Read more at http://minecraft.cardcodes.net/#1TRAtGCULbI2ZFJp.99

>> No.1436256

Collecting has become needlessly expensive due to faggot resellers.

My advice? Focus on the game series you really like.

Are you a Resident Evil fan? Try getting a copy of every classic RE game (DS versions, JAP, etc).

>> No.1436262

>>1436256
>needlessly expensive due to faggot resellers.
Bzzt.

Games get more expensive because people who buy them. And not all retro games are expensive. Stop spreading FUD. OP might be able to find things he likes for reasonable prices,

>> No.1436278

>>1436256
>>1436262
I've bought from resellers, and I've bought from thrift shops where I've found random games that are super lucky finds, and I've found that with all of my small amount of experience, it's much cheaper AND GRATIFYING to search relentlessly each store near you. I've bought some really awesome games from thrift shops for a little over 10 bucks, and I've bought the same amount of awesome games from resellers for about 100 bucks.

so OP: if you REEEEEALLY need to get a specific rare/uncommon game, go to a reseller, but if you can hold your piss, search for a while and you'll find at least something fucking rad

Also owning the game is much more satisfying than playing on emulator. It's all about the controller and the shitty tiny CRT.

>> No.1436280

>>1436232
>PS2 is what I'm collecting, actually. Why do you like those games for collecting?
Because they're dirt cheap and guaranteed to appreciate in value. PS2 will definitely be the SNES of its generation as far as gaining value. There are still plenty of rare games just floating around out there to be had by a persistent buyer for just a few dollars.

>> No.1436281

>>1436138
I would start with one system and stick with it.
Avoid branching out to other consoles unless it's a deal or a steal, you'll save a LOT more money in the long run that way.

DO NOT ACTIVELY PROCURE, if you do, you're fucked, prices are usually high. Just persevere, know you got a long life ahead, and if you look long and hard enough, you'll find what you're looking for at a price you can afford, just DON'T GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE, you'll lose a shitton of money

>> No.1436360

>>1436138
>retro game collecting
Give up on that and collect for the non-retro PS2 you like.
Get a modded one. You may want to collect CIB stuff but you will want to play games you don't have yet in the mean time. Don't be pissy about the price. It's a one off expense.
Hit the flea markets, thrift stores and yard sales. Get an idea of what the standard price in your area is. Buy anything you want at this price. Pass on anything more expensive unless you really want it and the price isn't ridiculous.
It will take time but you can build a nice collection for very cheap this way. I don't really collect PS2 stuff I just started buying anything good that's in decent condition when prices here dropped to $1 about a year ago. I have a little over 60 games and a monster stack of burnt stuff to play.

>> No.1436370

>>1436138
I am a reseller. Here is the best advice anyone is going to give you-

Sega Genesis is about to explode. Get in while you can. It is about to surpass the SNES in popularity with collectorfags.
Trust me.

Get your Rocket Knight, your Ecco, and your Comix Zone. They are about to be the new fucking thing.

>> No.1436395

>>1436138
Don't.

>> No.1436401

>>1436370
This is the sad true.

>> No.1436419

>>1436138

Ask women between the age of 25-40 if they have any games. You can be very surprised what has been sitting in a box at their parents house for 20 years.

Going from there, frequent thrift stores that men do not frequent. If a mom donates her kids old toys there it will be much more likely for them to stick around long enough for you to find them before "they" get them.

>> No.1436424

>>1436157
>>1436161

Going a little further with this broken stuff idea, you should always be looking for anything that is first revision or very old. Even if it is broken it is still going to be valuable for parts due to the historical value.

Things like SCPH-1001 PlayStations, SCPH-30000 PS2, original white 360s, etc.

>> No.1436426

>>1436370
I disagree and believe it will be the PlayStation as the next NES collecting craze.

>> No.1436430

>>1436138
Check every bin of old wires you come across for official power adapter blocks and video cables.

The OEM power bricks for NES/SNES go for $20 each online, and you'll be kicking yourself for passing them up if you ever come across the system with a replacement or missing power brick.

Same goes for s-video cables for systems you don't even have like saturn, dreamcast or playstation.

Generally if you see any kind of weird cable and you can grab it for a buck or less get it.

>> No.1436456

>>1436426
I see Sega being next because collectors move horizontally rather than vertically usually. They will move to the Genesis as they close out the SNES.

Also, SNES is becoming unstable, and there is an Apitow film being produced about the marketing of Sega Genesis in the US. That will give it a nice bump at a very opportune time.

>> No.1436474

First, buy an older Wii. Then, start downloading emulators. Once you have a good feel for what you actually like, then you should start collecting those games.

>> No.1436579
File: 73 KB, 723x482, mednafen_wii.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1436474
This, a thousand times over. When you emulate on a PC, it's easy to spend a lot of time fiddling with lag and getting the games to look right and run smoothly. But, if you've got a homebrew-capable Wii hooked up to a craigslist CRT with a Wii Classic / Classic Pro danglin' from your Wiimote, brother you're set.