[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 4 KB, 160x144, lescreen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1423786 No.1423786[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I just got a 3ds, really want to get LA on it but it seems like you can't anymore? Have enough codes that I'm up to gold, do you need to be Platinum in Club Nintendo to download it or for the time being is it just unavailable period?

>> No.1423817
File: 89 KB, 500x400, dstwofreeship.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1423786

>> No.1423825

>>1423817
I thought about that actually, how hard is it to emulate on 3ds? I've looked into putting NES games on it with an r4i, same ballpark for gameboy/gba/snes/ect?

>> No.1423879

>>1423825
The 3DS resolution is so tiny that it's vertical resolution is still smaller than the NES, and you'll have to either squash or crop the image. I use nesDS. GameYob plays GB/GBC games. It's as hard as putting the emulator on an SD card with a folder full of roms. The virtual console will syphon you dry, will never have every game you want, and you'll lose anything you buy if your system is broken/stolen.

GBA runs nearly perfectly, SNES isn't all that great, I never really use anything but GB/GBC/GBA/GG, homebrew, and DS games since I hate having to put up with display adjusting.

I had an R4 for my DS but it wasn't compatible with the 3DS so I got a DSTwo. I didn't know they made R4's that worked with the 3DS. I'd heard good things about DSTwo, along with the fact that it's hardware and custom-tailored emulators apparently give it an advantage. I've also heard that it drains battery, and I think they might be right about that one.

Sadly, they seem to run purely in DS mode and therefore can't take advantage of the 3DS' 3D mode, slightly larger resolution, ability to play 3DS games, and significantly more powerful hardware. There are a few cards that can do 3DS, I know there was one that could have one 3DS rom on the SD card at a time, but the situation with the 3DS flash card scene is volatile and expensive right now with what seems like a brick scamming racket, and I'd recommend staying the fuck away from all of that until it sorts itself out.

All in all, if you've upgraded to 3DS and need a new flash card, I can vouch for DSTwo. I got it primarily for loading DS roms and it does that splendidly. Everything else is just a bonus, but you absolutely won't have any problems playing Link's Awakening DX.

Don't make the same mistake I did. I had Rondo of Blood, Castlevania and Blaster Master Wii, Dr. Mario Rx, Mario RPG, Super Metroid, basically a lot of games, and then the Wii was stolen and Nintendo didn't care. So I stopped caring and hacked my new Wii.

>> No.1423890

>>1423879
>GBA runs nearly perfectly
Bullshit, most games run at half framerate.

>> No.1423908

Sure it isn't on the eshop? It's definitely on the european one.

>> No.1423909

>>1423890
Really? Either I'm lucky or you're doing something wrong. I was able to play nearly everything with 0 frameskip and maintain a stable 60 fps. Some things like Mario Kart Super Circuit ran at 30 fps but still maintained a very stable framerate and were perfectly playable. No sound, graphic, or stutter issues in any games I played. It's good enough that I don't miss having a GBA slot in my DS.

>> No.1423912

>>1423786
Wow.
I have not seen a more retarded post.
Turn on 3DS.
Go to eShop.
Start eShop.
Tap on 'Search' panel.
Type in 'Zelda'
Scroll to Link's Awakening DX
Buy Link's Awakening DX
Done!

>> No.1423913

>>1423825
It's more in depth than loading in a ROM on an emulator as each game needs to have the emulator re-written for each individual game.

Emulators are not perfect and many games, even old NES games have glitches that occur in the process. Slowdown, visual errors and crashes. In order for the game to pass Quality Control, Nintendo has to ensure that each emulator for it's virtual shop is tailored to the game to reduce these errors as little as possible.

A good example is that a certain sections of Chrono Trigger were almost unplayable as early versions of SNES emulators were unable to properly render transparencies. So programmers had to take in account for their emulators to be able to properly render transparencies using the particular method Square used for Chrono Trigger.

There are also cost and manpower considerations to make as even if you had only one guy working on porting these titles to the eshop, you still need to pass the game through Q&A and thus you need a team of testers to ensure the game actually works 99% of the time.

The more games you want to put out, the higher the cost overall. And since virtual console games sell so poorly, Nintendo is wary of ramping up production.

The reason Sony can dump entire libraries onto the PSN network is because the early PS3s had a physical PS1 motherboard in them, then eventually they developed a very solid Emulator. Disk based games are a bit easier to emulate because there is no additional hardware embedded on the physical media the programmer has to take in account. This is also why the PS3 originally was so fucking huge as it had to physically contain not only a PS3 motherboard and cell processor, but also a PS1 and PS2 motherboard.

>> No.1423930

>>1423913
You trying to confuse the guy? Sure, there's at least two Super Nintendo emulators on the 3DS that are better and worse than each other in different ways, and SNES emulation in general has ZSNES for weak computers and romhacks designed for ZSNES and Snes9x for accurate emulation, but you want to play GBC on your DS, you load up a rom in GameYob and you're good. 8-bit emulation isn't that complicated, and emulation in general isn't that complicated unless you're a perfectionist.

>> No.1423932

>>1423909
What emulator do you use? I've tried both the emulator on the dstwo site and tempgba, and both run a lot of the most popular games at only 30fps, like metroid, pokemon, etc. I probably wouldn't have minded it as much though if I didn't have a psp that played the games better.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/TempGBA_Compatibility

>> No.1423964

>>1423930
>SNES 9x
>good
>"accuracy" arguement
HAHAHAHAHA ZSNES or bust, nigger.

>> No.1423971
File: 512 KB, 2592x1728, 2014-02-22 14.48.51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lurk harder.

>> No.1423975

>>1423964
Dude no. You can't do that here. People in /vr/ can be stupid but nobody's going to go acquire HIV on to make you feel included just because you told them they won't be cool without diseases.

>> No.1423979

>>1423932
Now that's REALLY strange. The GBA emulator I used to use on PSP had poor performance, and aside from turn-based fare like Fire Emblem, I seldom used it, since I couldn't have a stable framerate without the sound suffering and everything going much slower. I usually played at like 3 or 4 frameskip. Even Super Mario Advance ran like shit. Meanwhile Aria of Sorrow runs as smooth and fluid as ever on my 3DS.

Is it possible your DSTwo isn't legit? I thought my R4 was legit for the longest time, but this auto-update thing it had didn't work and I ended up finding out it was a fake. It was never a problem though. I got it for $10 on Tiger Direct back when they could still sell them and it never gave me a single problem other than that.

I have a normal US black 3DS (CTR-001) and TempGBA 1.44. TempGBA doesn't like to keep my settings for some reason, but I usually change it to the max cpu frequency and either 0 skip, keep up with the game. and sometimes 1 skip. There have been some games that don't work, but generally it's been surprisingly good. I've even had better performance with SNES on 3DS than on PSP. Not by a whole hell of a lot, though. There was no amount of tweaking with whatever the PSP emulator was, or CATSFC on the 3DS, to run Skyblazer, Smartball, or SMW satisfactorily, but SNEmulDS on 3DS runs them pretty good. But like I said earlier, I don't spend a lot of time with console emulation on my 3DS.

It annoys me that my phone is the best portable emulator I've ever had. Even with it's tiny screen, the resolution is high enough that everything fits, the screen is vivid, and it's powerful enough that it doesn't consider Genesis, SNES, or GBA any sort of challenge. Hell, the ports of Sonic 1, 2, and CD are better than emulating, and the touch controls work extremely well.

But the whole lack of buttons makes it less than ideal. My phone is too old for a bluetooth controller, but it does have a sliding keyboard and game gripper is better than nothing.

>> No.1423980

Link's Awakening was a prize for hitting gold or platinum a couple years back, it's too late now.

>> No.1423991

>>1423964
Go kill yourself please.

>> No.1424026

>>1423964
It's time to stop talking forever.

>> No.1424436

>>1423879
>The 3DS resolution is so tiny that it's vertical resolution is still smaller than the NES
How's 240 (3DS) smaller than 224 (NES)?

>> No.1424438

>>1423971
>buying digital media
I could understand if you were getting a physical cartridge, but to download a game with a built in emulator for money when existing and working emulators already exist? Why?

>> No.1424440

>>1424436

It's not. That problem was only with the original DS which has a resolution of 256×192.

>> No.1424457

>>1424438
I got it for free.

>> No.1424462

>>1424457
Well now it makes sense. As long as you are getting it for free, you are getting an individually optimized game for your device. However, the file sizes are still much larger than just the ROM.

>> No.1424492

>>1424438
Because not everyone here is a filthy little goblin like you.

>> No.1424531

>>1424492
>paying for literal rehashes and free emulators

>> No.1424587

>>1423979
When's the last time you tried gba emulation on PSP? It's gotten a lot better recently, even games like golden sun run pretty well.

>> No.1425443

>>1424531
Yes I buy things that you wouldn't. It must be hard to understand that as a 12 year old.