[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 5 KB, 256x224, strider.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1406473 No.1406473 [Reply] [Original]

What games were developed but not released in their respective countries? Like Strider (NES) is developed from Japan but not released there and Nightshade was made from Australia (Beam Software) but not released there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2Q-_8zuAU

>> No.1406524

It's not retro, but Advance Wars Days of Ruin was developed in Japan, received two completely separate localizations for the US and Europe, but didn't come out in Japan until just last year as a downloadable.

>> No.1406546
File: 78 KB, 350x494, Startropics_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's one I think everybody knows.

>> No.1407556

The Game Boy sequel to Kid Icarus wasn't released in Japan until the 3DS eShop became a thing.

>> No.1407565

>>1406524
What's really strange is there's an official Japanese translated ROM floating around even before the virtual console release. It seems the game was complete, yet simply didn't get released there. If I were a Japanese fan, I'd be pretty upset.

>> No.1407607

A vast majority of LJN's games, if not all of them. The only exceptions would be Terminator 2 (Software Creations), WWF Challenge (Rare), (both English companies, both released in England) and any game developed by an American company. No telling where "Eastridge Technology", responsible for WWF King of the Ring, is from.

>> No.1407643

>>1407607
I forgot to mention that I was talking about NES games in that post.

>> No.1407659
File: 45 KB, 420x378, AdvanceWarsDaysofRuin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1406473
Actually I don't think this one counts anymore since it got released as a special download in Japan recently but for a few years this game was NA/PAL only. A hard copy still is.

>> No.1407660

Sunset Riders was in Japan arcades, but never in SFC carts.

>> No.1407920

>>1406473
Speaking of Strider, there's a preorder for a new Strider game on Steam.

I've been waiting since forever for Capcom to revive Strider

>> No.1408280

>>1406546
was actually developed in America, though the development team was primarily Japanese

>> No.1408287

>>1407920
too bad it's modern crapcom and not a decent company making it. This is how I feel when people want remakes/reboots of classics "Really? You want today's Square Enix to remake FF6/7/8/whatever? You sure 'bout that?"

>> No.1408339
File: 122 KB, 568x696, conforarc1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Konami made lots of exclusives for the NES market that never got released on Famicom. They can be categorized in the following ways.

>Bastard sequels/spinoffs to popular games
Contra Force (Japanese localization titled Arc Hound was canceled)
Snake's Revenge (the non-Kojima version of Metal Gear II)

>Sports games
Base Wars
Hyper Soccer (Japanese localization was planned but canceled)
Racket & Rivals (PAL exclusive)

>Ports of western games (developed in-house in Japan)
Jack Nicklaus' Golf
Kings of the Beach
Skate or Die
Ski or Die

>Licensed games
Batman Returns (NES version only)
The Lone Ranger
Mission: Impossible (based on the short-lived late 80s revival)
Monster in my Pocket
Rollergames
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES version only)
Zen: The Intergalactic Ninja

I believes the NES versions of Blades of Steel and Double Dribble (along with Jackal) are so radically different from their Disk System counterparts, that they're considered seperate games.

>> No.1408346

>>1408339
Well I know that in Japan, Double Dribble was released in their 'Exciting' sports series as 'Exciting Basket'. I wouldn't doubt that significant changes occurred in translation.

>> No.1408395

>>1408339
Considering there's only 5 levels, the "AI" does jack shit, and it slows down like hell, I think Contra Force was just unfinished, they only got the bare bones to work. If the game didn't slow down that much, seriously, previous Contra games pushed FAR more on screen, it'd been an amazing title.

And Snake's Revenge was the very first sequel to Metal Gear; Metal Gear did so well in the US that it warranted a sequel. In Japan it did nothing, and likely Metal Gear would've joined the ranks of Maze of Galious and Knightmare as one-off games. It wasn't until Snake's Revenge came out that inspired Kojima to make a sequel.

>> No.1408485

I can only think of Friday the 13th. Developed by Atlus.

>> No.1408506

>>1408346
Most of the improvements in Double Dribble and Blades of Steel are aesthetics (i.e. PCM voice samples, intermissions in Blades, new dunking animation scenes in Dribble). The core games are mostly unchanged.

>>1408395
>If the game didn't slow down that much, seriously, previous Contra games pushed FAR more on screen, it'd been an amazing title.
Contra and Super C didn't have destroyable backgrounds and different sprites for each playe characters, which is part of the reason C Force has too much slowdown. The real problem with C Force is the fact that it uses the Gradius power-up system in a run 'n gun shooter and you're pretty much forced to grind for briefcases to get the most effective weapons for each character. I really don't know how Arc Hound would have worked when most Famicom consoles don't have SELECT and START buttons on the second controller and you need to use SELECT to change weapons.

>And Snake's Revenge was the very first sequel to Metal Gear; Metal Gear did so well in the US that it warranted a sequel. In Japan it did nothing, and likely Metal Gear would've joined the ranks of Maze of Galious and Knightmare as one-off games. It wasn't until Snake's Revenge came out that inspired Kojima to make a sequel.
You're not telling me anything I don't know already though. Snake's Revenge was pretty good.