[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 48 KB, 640x480, 1391251159793.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1376483 No.1376483[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

...That's it? Really?
There's no difficulty setting that I accidentally set to Can I Play Daddy?
For a game often toted as the best Castlevania game (along with SotN), the bosses sure were miserable little piles of disappoint.

>> No.1376507

>along with SotN
Also easy. Maybe people just really like games they can actually complete.

>> No.1376508

>>1376483
The easiest castlevanias for some reason have the most vocal fanbase. IV, Rondo and Sotn are all lacking in genuinely exciting challenge.

>> No.1376515

Castlevannia III on the NES was always my favorite, but from what I've read it gets shit on by most people while people enjoy II even though I find it terrible.

I never played any of the Playstation and beyond ones, except (regrettably) Castlevania 64.

>> No.1376524

>>1376508
they're challenging, but not too challenging.
the atmosphere and adventure is what its about.
challenge and gameplay isn't everything, contrary wise to popular belief.

>> No.1376527

>>1376515
This article is good for a laugh and tells you a lot about the mindset of people who prefer II to III.

http://gamejolt.com/articles/castlevania-ii-iii/6130/c

>> No.1376531

>>1376524
Sadly, games just don't feel very adventurous without a sense of peril. Rondo is the best of the bunch and the only part where I broke a sweat was the bridge with the bats at the start of the final stage when I played with Richter. It's a real shame too because the bosses were very creative, but most of them were all flash and didn't reall pose a threat. I can't even imagine what they were thinking with the horrible grim reaper and dracula fights.

>> No.1376541

IV isn't a super hard game or anything but sheesh, people act like it's babby's first platformer and that's exaggerating just a bit.

SotN is the one where you almost never die unless you're trying, I understand that, but I don't think many people breeze through IV like it's a completely cakewalk.

>> No.1376548

>>1376541
I was specifically talking about the bosses when I talked about the difficulty.

The part where you climb the falling stairs before the skeleton pterodactyl thing was pretty challenging (although a lot of it for me came from lack of consistency whether you'd connect with the stairs you jump to or just fall through).
The part with the dancers and seizure-blobs felt like a good challenge.
The part where you fell into the dungeon/basement I remember dying a bunch of times in, as well as the water-ruins part with mermen and flying eyes.

But the bosses...
I think the only one (except Dracula) that I ever died on was Death (and the mummy on the clock once because I messed up and fell off), and I died maybe twice on him.

>> No.1376634

I always thought Dracula X was way better personally. Yes, the SNES game.

>> No.1376636

While not super challenging, IV has very tight gameplay which makes it feel really good even if it isn't balls to the wall hard like some other Castlevanias. This is why many people consider it among the best in the series.

>> No.1376661

>>1376531
Maybe you are just too good at the Castlevanias, because I started playing Rondo with a friend last weekend, and our balls got a proper beating. We aren't the kind of people who shy away from challenge either, and keep working on our skills until we get good enough to progress.

Rondo's great fun as somewhat of a middle ground between the old and new 'vanias, but it IS a lot more challenging than I had expected, just saying.

>> No.1376668

>>1376661
Rondo kicked my ass and I never got past stage 4.

IV was also sort of challenging and I don't think I ever got through the final stage. Thing is I mostly suck at classic CV anyway, I don't think I have ever beaten one...

>> No.1376694

>>1376483
If you keep playing after the ending sequence it restarts you at level 1 but for the rest of the game there are more enemies in new places that take extra hits to kill. Save your password on level 1 and it's like starting the game on hard mode.

Why do all the people that complain about the game being too easy seem to never be aware that there is a hard mode?

>> No.1376695

>>1376483
>For a game often toted as the best Castlevania game (along with SotN)
Who are these people, and where can I find them so I can yell at them for having taste different than my own?

>> No.1376728

>>1376694
Either have a hard mode right off the bat or fuck off. I don't want to play the same fucking game right after I've finished it. Fuck that Ghost and Goblins padding bullshit.

>> No.1376753

>>1376636

also the amazing, amazing music

>> No.1376758

>>1376753
I can think of maybe 3 tunes from the entire game that were worth remembering, and 2 of them were just updated versions of old CV tunes.

>> No.1376759

>>1376758

I thought there were a ton of great songs in that game. Simon's Theme, The Cave, The Submerged City, The Rotating Room, Chandeliers, Room of Close Associates and The Entrance Hall were all pretty damn good originals IMO, and the others are no slouches either.

>> No.1376770

>>1376483

I've read that the Japanese version features bosses who move faster.

Can anyone confirm this?

>> No.1376773

>>1376483
>For a game often toted as the best Castlevania game
Stop being so gullible. Nobody sane says that.
>(along with SotN)
Along with Halo.

Use your brain. SotN was a retarded child's Super Metroid with vampires, while SCV4 was just a pathetic grimdark next-gen reboot that has the same standing in the series as Lords of Shadows.

>> No.1376785
File: 3 KB, 256x232, 1391270005617.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1376773
>grimdark

bright, perky, colorful akumajou games for mature gamers such as myself

>> No.1376790

>>1376483
>For a game often toted as the best Castlevania game

It's actually one of the worst Castlevania games, only better than 2. Like many SNES games, it's way too slow and easy. The multi-directional whip was a good idea, just a shame the concept was never fully realized.

>> No.1376796

The big problem with Super Castlevania 4 is that the freedom of movement and the flexibility of attacks was greatly improvement, whereas enemy attack range, form, and AI, was not.

Simon can now crawl, deflect attacks in free whip mode, whip in almost every direction, and attack through ceillings, but enemies are still restricted to the old castlevania patterns and shitty AI. Castlevania is a game that greatly made use of character limitations and enemy spam for adding difficulty. When the first was improved in SCV4, the second was nullified, and the game became a whole lot easier than previous installments.

If AI had been balanced and level design was redesign a bit to fit new controls, SCV4 would've been the best of the series by far. The fact they chose to revert to the old frustrating controls formula in Rondo of Blood just shows how lazy and conservative they were, instead of trying to push the Castlevania series forward.

>> No.1376826
File: 182 KB, 384x336, First good Castlevania title.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1376796
>The big problem with Super Castlevania 4 is that the freedom of movement and the flexibility of attacks was greatly improvement, whereas enemy attack range, form, and AI, was not.
This isn't a problem.

Castlevania 1 and 3 enemies had attack range and form that surpassed the player's actions, because the character was a shitty clunky rock (and the enemies didn't had AI, in fact some enemies had an almost random pattern, which is awful). The best example of how Castlevania 1 is unbalanced is the fight against the frankenstein + hunchback.

The fight against Death is also awful. If you have no cross and no hearts, well, restart the entire level again, because it's almost impossible to beat her (memorization doesn't help too much; she and her scythes are too random)

Castlevania 4 fixed all these problems.

"B-but Castlevania 1 and 3 were harder!!!!!"

No, trial-and-error, excess of memorization and cheap deaths don't make a game hard.

Castlevania 4 is a VERY balanced game. I can only think of one moment when the difficulty is cheap (the fight against the flying skull)

But whatever, I can't convince nostalgialords who think that games made in a time where game designers were amateurs are outdated

>>1376773
Lords of Shadow is good and I'm happy that the Castlevania series is still alive with quality titles.

>> No.1376832

>>1376515
I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would shit on III. It's such a good game, far better than the first I'd say.

II is irredeemable though.

>> No.1376834
File: 137 KB, 488x820, 1377541654964.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1376773
>SCV4 was just a pathetic grimdark next-gen reboot that has the same standing in the series as Lords of Shadows.

>> No.1376838

>>1376826
This guy gets it

>> No.1376867

If you replay the game after beating it, the difficulty goes up a little. More enemies and they take more hits to kill.

>> No.1376870
File: 123 KB, 600x385, 1391273583471.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1376826

> Lords of Shadow
> good

>> No.1376883

>>1376838
He's rationalizing being bad at Castlevania by blaming the game mechanics when he loses and calling it unbalanced when he feels too challenged. You can get the kind of insight from basically anyone five minutes after they ragequit a game they aren't good at. I don't think he really gets anything, though it was an impressively roundabout way to admit he sucks.

I like SCIV but that kind of praise is sad.

>> No.1376889

>>1376883
he's trolling. note how he refers to death as female

>> No.1376983

>>1376826

Death is too strong in the first game, yes. Otherwise, 1 and 3 are fair. Actually the first game is pretty easy, other than Death and some of the final stage. You are a strangely unskilled player (or a troll). Frankenstein's monster is only a little bit difficult. No way is he the "best example" of unbalance in that game. Death is much, much, much harder, and Medusa and the mummies are stupidly, unfairly easy.

Castlevania IV didn't fix any problems. Instead, it took out some good things and replaced them with other good things. The problems were already all fixed by the time of Castlevania III.

>> No.1377002

>>1376834
No, but SCV4 is.

>> No.1377009

>>1376728
Some games are meant to played on normal first and then the more difficult when you are more experiance at play the game. See DMC series

>> No.1377012

>>1376826
>and the enemies didn't had AI, in fact some enemies had an almost random pattern, which is awful
This is factually incorrect. Enemies had AI, and none of it was random. If you can't see a pattern in the Medusa Head spawn or movement, or the Flea Man trajectory, your fault. Rock-solid enemy design and placement is one of the things that makes the original Castlevania the great game it is.

>The fight against Death is also awful. If you have no cross and no hearts, well, restart the entire level again
What? Not only this is wrong, but the cross is not even the preferred subweapon for this boss fight. Apparently, you haven't even beaten the game yet.

>No, trial-and-error, excess of memorization and cheap deaths don't make a game hard.
Having to learn to play before you can win is the definition of difficulty. Castlevania never kills you with bugs or unexpected attacks. Everything is telegraphed and is surpassable.

>But whatever, I can't convince nostalgialords
So, the appreciation for a 1987 game is nostalgia, while unconditional love for it's laughably easy huge-sprite-pushing next-gen reboot from 1991 is not? How come?

>> No.1377018

>>1376889
death is a feminine word in the latin languages. they have no "it" (only "she" or "he") so it's easy for non english native speakers to make the mistake.

>> No.1377019

>>1376524
IV doesn't really have more atmosphere or adventure than the original or III or Bloodlines or Rondo or... most classicvanias, really.
And, yes, part of the reason for that is that the game is too easy. Bosses in particular lack presence and memorability when all you need to do to beat the vast majority of them is mash the whip button to out-damage them.

>> No.1377021

>>1377012
>What? Not only this is wrong, but the cross is not even the preferred subweapon for this boss fight. Apparently, you haven't even beaten the game yet.
not the person you are replying to but using the holy water locks death in place so it becomes cheap as fuck. I always use the cross for there to be some sort of actual fight.

>> No.1377028

Castlevania X68000 > Super Castlevania IV

>> No.1377048

>>1377028
Fucksake, x68k >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SCV4

>> No.1377057

Rondo > IV > I > Bloodlines > III > II > gameboy garbage

deal with it nerds

>b-but muh chalenge
>b-but muh difficulty

>> No.1377056

>>1376634
than you have shit tastes and know nothing about the series.

>> No.1377059

>>1376508
Rondo was definitely harder than the other games you mentioned, though.

>> No.1377067

>>1376661
really? I'd say Rondo is one of the easier classicvania's . it took me one day to 100% it

>> No.1377065

>>1377056
It's a pretty good game except for a few lazy boss redesigns (the bat at the end of the second stage and the floating skull with the orbs that replaced the wizard guy from rondo) and the disjointed background graphics. What didn't you like about it?

>> No.1377072

>>1376753
The music is amazing, but considering the series it's in, there's nothing really special or exceptional about it. It's par for the course for Castlevania.
Imo, III has the best selection of original tunes out of the classic Castlevania games.

>> No.1377074

>>1377018
how do they refer to animals?

>> No.1377076

>>1377059
Depends on how you play it. It was harder to finish in one sitting than IV.
Forgot to mention Bloodlines too. That and Rondo are the best easy castlevanias.

>> No.1377080

>>1377028
>mfw that game had a total of 8 loops with increasing difficulty
>mfw even the first loop is harder than most of the other games

I have no face
Has anyone actually beaten all 8 loops of the x68k game?

>> No.1377083

>>1377074
most are refered as males like dogs and cats but there are some that are female like spiders and snakes.

btw, castlevania 3 is a borefest. there's nothing memorable about the levels. the alucard path it's just shitty caves.
overall the original castlevania provides a much tighter experience.

more content doesnt mean a better game

>> No.1377081

>>1376483
>one peg of health left
>WOW GUYS THIS BOSS WAS SO EASY

>> No.1377085

>he hasn't 1CC'd a Castlevania game

>> No.1377086

>>1377080

Yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7ADh__00Y
It's not even remotely the most impressive thing this guy's done either.

>> No.1377087

>>1377057
Nah.
Personally:
Rondo = Bloodlines > III > I > IV > Dracula X > [everything else]

deal with it, nerd

>b-but muh consequenceless jumping
>b-but muh 8-way whipping

>> No.1377092

>>1377085
castlevania, 4 and rondo of blood.

rondo is the better game

>> No.1377096

>>1377087
>no x68k/Chronicles

Did none of you niggers play that game? It was rereleased on the PS1 so you don't have "but it's on a Japanese-only PC" excuse. You can ignore the pussified "Arrange mode" and just play "Original mode" with the original x68k game fully intact

>> No.1377098

>>1377096
>You can ignore the pussified "Arrange mode"

You do realize that Arrange mode's hard difficulty setting starts you off straight at the original's loop 2 difficulty, right? Stop being such a tryhard.

>> No.1377101

>>1377096
I only played the arrange mode because I wanted the less shitty grafix and funky music. How was it pussified?

>> No.1377106

>>1377087
Rondo is O.K., but Bloodlines was a mess. The only good thing about it was the music. The game itself was easy, badly paced and visually nonsensical.

>> No.1377110

>>1377106
>The game itself was easy
This better not be the guy I replied to who was praising IV.

>badly paced and visually nonsensical
No.

>> No.1377113

>>1377106
I liked the variety of the levels, gimmicks and colorful visuals. How was it badly paced?

>> No.1377114

>>1377110
>This better not be the guy I replied to who was praising IV.
it's not. i like bloodlines.

>> No.1377117

>>1377110
No, I think that both SCV4 and Bloodlines are way substandard for the series. For different reasons, but all boiling down to various design deficiencies.

For example, Bloodlines had really nonsensical and random stage design. Shit that was occasionally thrown at you was sometimes inventive, but gimmicky and stupid.

>>1377113
>How was it badly paced?
The difficulty jumps randomly. Compared to the original game, that is, which had a very steady increase in challenge. And gimmicks throw off the pace every single time. They're always jarring both gameplay-wise and visually. Happens in SCV4, too.

>> No.1377116

>>1377101
Things about it were changed to be easier, like Simon only jumping when hit instead of being knocked back on Normal and Easy difficulty. Hard is actually harder than the original as mentioned above.

I don't like pink hair Simon, according to artwork it's supposed to be deep red, no idea why it's pink in game. Though messing with gamma settings in an emulator I was able to get it red looking, so maybe the game expected a gamma ramp or something.

>> No.1377118

>Hating on CV4 cause muh challenge
>No mention of the amazing atmosphere, graphics, stellar soundtrack

There's a facet of the retrofag community that's just pathetic, if its not hard then its not good, which is hilarious given the fact that a good portion of challenge in a bundle of old games, many of them beloved and put up on a pedestal by nostalgia lords are hard because of horrible design, hell Castlevania III is a fantastic example of horrendous design work to make it "challenging".

You know that's another thing that CV4 has over 3, the transitions as you reach the castle, I don't know what the fuck is up 3, its just feels like a weird mish-mash of shit, hell the stage just before drac is outside, complete with a forest, CV4 actually feels like a castle as you gradually make the climb, same with CV1.

CV4 is one of the best Castlevanias, for reasons that go beyond its difficulty, if you can't see that, then that's your problem.

>> No.1377120

>>1377118
>>No mention of the amazing atmosphere, graphics, stellar soundtrack
It's a game, not a public park.

And the music, although decent, was decidedly the worst in the series.

>> No.1377123

>>1377117
I just don't wee what you're talking about.

>> No.1377127

>>1377118
>Graphics and music matter more than gameplay

Modern gamers everyone.

>> No.1377131

>>1377118
im >>1377057 and i agree 100%

>> No.1377135

>>1377117
>The difficulty jumps randomly.
I honestly don't see it. It's not as jarring as Rondo, with the werewolf fight and start of the final level being the most difficult parts of the game for some reason.

>> No.1377139

>>1377118
>No mention of the amazing atmosphere, graphics, stellar soundtrack

The atmosphere is average for the series.
The graphics are mediocre, both for the SNES, and for the series. Konami can do, and does do, much better.
The soundtrack is average for the series.

And gameplay is more important than any of that anyway.

>> No.1377140

>>1377118
>if its not hard then its not good
Challenge is the point of gameplay. If you know you'll win, there's no point in playing, might as well watch it on youtube.

>> No.1377147

>>1377118
>as you gradually make the climb
I just noticed that it hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say it: The game feels really long and takes its sweet time to get going. Most of the first half should have been cut from the game.

>> No.1377148
File: 37 KB, 240x320, 5azZM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1377118
But everyother Castlevania has better music and atmosphere

>> No.1377149

I'm actually playing this for the first time at the moment. I'm very much enjoying it, and I don't think it's particularly easy. It's no ninja gaiden, but I'm only up to the 4th level and I've died fucking loads of times. The controls are really tight and it looks and sounds great.

>> No.1377152

>>1377140
>Challenge is the point of gameplay. If you know you'll win, there's no point in playing, might as well watch it on youtube.
then once you master a game it becomes easy to you and therefore by your logic it becomes a worse game

>> No.1377153

>>1377148
Atmosphere's kind of disputable, but...
>every other Castlevania has better music
This.

>> No.1377158

>>1377002
how can you even call sciv edgy or 'grimdark'? it's pretty much the same art style as the nes games, just 16-bit

>> No.1377159

SCV4 / Akumajo Dracula SFC

+ good controls;
+ high production values;
+ very consistent presentation and atmosphere;

~ takes itself seriously;

- sprites are too big for the resolution, severely limiting active gameplay space;
- challenge is lacking;
- whip swing mechanics are nonsensical;
- bosses are unquestionably terrible;
- music sounds like it's underwater;

>> No.1377162

>>1377158
>it's pretty much the same art style as the nes games, just 16-bit
The 8-bit Castlevanias are campy comedies poking fun at Hammer and Universal films, while SCV4 tries to seem a video game adaptation of them.

8-bit games have funky pop and disco soundtracks, while SCV4 has a pseudoorchestral horror film score.

8-bit Castlevanias are tight, focused and challenging, while SCV4 is the cinematic experience of it's day.

>> No.1377169

>>1377152
Replaying a game you've worked hard to master is satisfying in its own way which you would know if you ever invested effort in a difficult game. That said, you obviously won't get the same rush from finishing the game so you move on to playing something else.

>> No.1377171

>>1377152
Are you dense? Of course once you've totally mastered a game it isn't going to be as entertaining. This is why people care about games having high skill ceilings, so there's always some room to improve.
The process of gaining mastery is very enjoyable, and an easy game simply does not offer anything worth getting good at. If you can beat a game without any trouble on your first or second try, how much room is there going to be to get better? Usually not very fucking much, unless you try to do something like a speedrun.

>> No.1377186

>>1377152
>then once you master a game it becomes easy to you and therefore by your logic
By your logic, maybe.

By mine, you can't repeat the experience, just like you can't read something for the first time again, yet having overcome it stays with you. When you master a challenging game, you take minor pleasure in being good at it, but the real deal is the learning process - not knowing whether you'll win or lose, whether the hero will live or die.

Are you really that simple that I must spell this out to you?

>> No.1377190
File: 62 KB, 1183x778, 5x5Janitor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1376826
>The fight against Death is also awful. If you have no cross and no hearts, well, restart the entire level again, because it's almost impossible to beat her
>beat her

>> No.1377201

>>1377190
>her
Oh shit, I didn't even see it.

This actually says somehting about SCV4 fans allright. My god. Reminds me of talking to a SotN fan on /vr/, and, when I mentioned Ayami Kojima's - the art director's - art, he, the supposed great fan of the game, who said it was his favourite of all, screamed something horribly, because... he thought I was talking about Hideo.

>> No.1377237

>>1377169
>>1377171
>>1377186
I can look at mona lisa over and over and still appreciate it for what it is. the piece has inherent value that does not fade. Games have traits(visuals and sound) that are equally permanent and are not dependent on the player abilities such as quick reflexes, memorization and muscle memory.

not trying to sound pretentious my point being that the medium of videogames offers far more than mere challenges that rely on pushing buttons in the right time. sometimes difficulty become intrusive to the enjoyment of the other elements i value.

you guys look at videogames as sport, i look at them as art. different strokes for different folks.

>>1377190
>>1377201
see >>1377018

>> No.1377261

>>1377237
*tips fedora*

>> No.1377269

>>1377018
>so it's easy for non english native speakers to make the mistake.
I'm a non-native speaker. But I know the storyline of the game's I'm discussing.

>>1377237
>I can look at mona lisa over and over and still appreciate it for what it is.
Painting is not a work of linear, i.e. temporal art, unlike literature, film or game design. It has a spacial composition, so you see it all at once. In temporal art, meanwhile, you experience the composition and form as a sequence. The experience is inherently different and incomparable on the most basic level.

>> No.1377275

>>1377237
>you guys look at videogames as sport, i look at them as art.
Not being able to play a game, or, say, read a book, for the first time twice means I consider it sports? You're making no sense.

>> No.1377273

>>1377237
>not trying to sound pretentious my point being that the medium of videogames offers far more than mere challenges that rely on pushing buttons in the right time
Sure, but the conversation was purely about gameplay at the time.
You can't steer the conversation in that direction and then turn it around like ALL we care about is gameplay when we respond to your claim about gameplay. That's retarded, and I won't stand for it.

And besides, as seen in these posts
>>1377120
>>1377139
>>1377148
and many others I'm too lazy to find - a lot of people don't think IV offers anything more than other Castlevania games even in areas that aren't gameplay.

>> No.1377287

>>1377237
Now you're just assuming people who care about the challenge can't appreciate the visuals and sound. Which is just nonsense.

And it's not the difficulty that's in your way, it's your own lack of patience and skill.

>> No.1377286

>>1377273
I wonder if the person screaming that "challenge =/= good" in every Castlevania thread is the same one every time. Last time he (or another guy) was defending SotN's nonexistent difficulty with similar arguments - it's an experience, it's not supposed to be challenging, it's supposedly a dreamy interactive picturebook with a soudntrack or something.

>> No.1377305

>>1377269
>But I know the storyline of the game's I'm discussing.
the dude was talking about the early castlevanias. there's no story or voice acting indicating death is the male right hand of dracula. the story at the time was: "there's a grim reaper-like figure that pops up in the second to last level". death/grim reaper is a female entity in italian, french, spanish, portuguese...

>> No.1377313

>>1377305
>He's ignorant because he comes from a different country.
He's speaking English on an English imageboard, talking about a game that was released 23 years ago. In my language, Death is female. Do I call it "her"? No, and for a twofold reason: 1) I've played Castlevania games, so I know the character's male (because it's a Japanese character, where the reaper is Western-borrowed and male), and 2) I know English.

>> No.1377316

>>1377286
Not being able to enjoy games for reasons aside from difficulty isn't an impairment that most people have and it shouldn't really surprise that more than one person would feel differently.

>> No.1377327

>>1377316
There are games when that makes sense, but in a simple 2D action game with barebones plot? It's kinda boring without some degree of difficulty.

It's also laughable when you're up against the fucking Grim Reaper and Dracula, yet the game is piss-easy.

>> No.1377332

>>1377316
Actually, games that aren't challenging fall out of favour quite fast. And many games are coming to prominence specifically due to challenge levels.

Meanwhile, non-games, even financially, are generating minimal profits and can at all be viable only if you make them by the dozen. Why? Because those games are unengaging, and the kind of person to enjoy them doesn't care much, wouldn't spend a lot of time with it and wouldn't pay much.

There's another side of this, too. There's a toybox kind of non-game. In those challenge is irrelevant, as it's not a game, but a toy. Certainly, challenge would undermine the experience of a sandbox game, so they're for the most part easy.

And, of course, there's the cinematic experience, where challenge would interfere with the cinematic storytelling.

All of the above are underplaying gamedesign in favour of other forms of art. They can be entertaining movies or fun toys. But a video game in itself is either challenging or bad and there's no way around it.

>> No.1377420

>>1377332
>games that aren't challenging fall out of favour quite fast
nigga plis http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

>> No.1377440

>>1377420
But these are static review scores that barely represent the opinion of the public at the time of release, let alone some time later in the future.

>> No.1377448

>>1376770
>I've read that the Japanese version features bosses who move faster.
>Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard this too.

>> No.1377457

>>1377448
i always play the japanese version (the "sewer level" looks much cooler) and it's the same shit

>> No.1377460

>>1377332
>Actually, games that aren't challenging fall out of favour quite fast.

You got a citation for this?

I don't see anyone shitting on Kirby or classic Sonic games. Maybe people favor good game design more than anything?

>> No.1377465

>>1377448
I played about 3/4 of the way into the Japanese version a long time ago and I don't remember any difference.

>> No.1377462

>>1376770
>>1377448

Go play it and find out

http://archive.org/download/No-Intro-Collection_2013-06-14/No-Intro-Collection_2013-06-14.zip/Nintendo%20-%20Super%20Nintendo%20Entertainment%20System%2FAkumajou%20Dracula%20%28Japan%29.zip

>> No.1377476

>>1377457
same. there is no speed difference but some graphics were censored for the international releases

>> No.1377497

>>1377460
Classic Sonic games are moderately challenging. Kirby is more of a toy than a game.

>> No.1377506

>>1377497
>Kirby is more of a toy than a game.
wat

>> No.1377539

>>1377120
>And the music, although decent, was decidedly the worst in the series.

Maximum bait, fuck off.

>>1377127

>Missing the point

Retrofags everyone, been playing games for 26 friend, I assume much like yourself, and to be completely honest, yea, music at least is very important to me, if the soundtrack is really goddamn good I can forgive a few issues with the game itself.

>>1377139

>The atmosphere is average for the series.

No other CV game captured the spirit of the climb to drac better than 4.

>The graphics are mediocre, both for the SNES, and for the series. Konami can do, and does do, much better.

Yea man totally, its not like the SNES was new hardware and Super CV4 had came out 4 months after the SNES launched, or a year if you count the famicom release, they can totally do better with brand new hardware.

>The soundtrack is average for the series.

You must be tone-deaf I assume.

>And gameplay is more important than any of that anyway.

Which CV4 had in spades.

>>1377140

For you, enjoying myself is the point of gameplay, if I'm not having fun then what's the fucking point, I have nothing to prove to anyone, least of all a bunch of people on a shitty image board.

>>1377147

>Game you can literally finish in 40-50 minutes
>Takes to long

Perhaps the problem is you.

I'll drop the music thing, that's to subjective, everyone has their own opinion.

The crux of the issue I have with some of the opinions here is that you're just calling the game shit, of one tiny aspect, I'm not seeing people taking the game as a full product, to many arguments boil down here to its not challenging therefore its shit, that makes no sense to me.

>> No.1377547

>>1377539

>26 years

>> No.1377550

>>1377497
Sonic 1 is the only one with any real challenge. Where the classic games succeed is in their immense replay value, and their high as fuck skill ceilings.
Like, look at this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGtZlFxqBk
I've been playing this game for 2 decades and I'm not anywhere near this good. You probably aren't either.

>> No.1377552
File: 138 KB, 500x321, ass-band-song-of-farts.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1377539
>Maximum bait, fuck off.
>For you, enjoying myself is the point of gameplay, if I'm not having fun then what's the fucking point, I have nothing to prove to anyone, least of all a bunch of people on a shitty image board.
OH boy.

>> No.1377556

>>1377539
see
>>1377028

>> No.1377564

>>1377539

The only thing that's maximum bait is your post

>For you, enjoying myself is the point of gameplay, if I'm not having fun then what's the fucking point, I have nothing to prove to anyone, least of all a bunch of people on a shitty image board.

Why are you posting here then? No one gives a fuck what you think, really.

>> No.1377571

>>1377462

>archive.org hosting roms

wat

>> No.1377582

>>1377539
>No other CV game captured the spirit of the climb to drac better than 4.
I disagree.

>Yea man totally, its not like the SNES was new hardware and Super CV4 had came out 4 months after the SNES launched, or a year if you count the famicom release
So then you agree the graphics are mediocre.
Great.
So why did you feel the need to reply to that bit?

>You must be tone-deaf I assume.
That doesn't even make sense. If I was tone deaf I don't think I'd care for any of the music in the series, or music in general for that matter. How the fuck would even have an opinion on the game's music in that case?

>Which CV4 had in spades.
Most of the other classicvanias have higher quality gameplay.

>> No.1377579

IV is easy only when compared to other titles in the same series, the game still offers a nice challenge.

By the way OP, Dracula is also very very easy and with only 2 transformations and no "final monster form" in Rondo of Blood (the remake on PSP has a 3rd final form that's actually one of the best dracula fights I've ever played)

It also pains me to see other people dissing IV's OST as one of the worst in the series and what not... it's actually my favorite Castlevania OST, but to each their own I guess... in reality, all Castlevania OST are really great, but IV is my favorite.

>> No.1377619

>>1377564

Then why are you posting here, nobody gives a fuck what you think either. Why is anyone posting here then?

How about replying to my arguments instead of cherrypicking.

>>1377552

>Hmm, I have no way to respond to this person, I know, I'll post a silly image, cherry pick and claim superiority, that'll show him!

Thanks for playing kiddo.

>>1377582

>I disagree.

Ok.

>So then you agree the graphics are mediocre.
Great.
So why did you feel the need to reply to that bit?

No you moron, you're comparing the game to CV's that game after CV IV, of course theyre gonna look better, they're either on better hardware or they had time to figure out the existing hardware. By your logic lords of shadows is the best.

>Most of the other classicvanias have higher quality gameplay.

Opinion.

I think you're all right, its me, I'm the moron, I tried to respond in some capacity to yet another sub /v/ quality thread with b8 OP and a bunch of retro fags trying to prove who's the bigger retro fag.

>> No.1377621

>>1377539
>Takes to long
I said "feels" long. As in, the first half of the game is boring so it "feels" like you are playing the game for a long time.

>> No.1377627

>>1377619
>Thanks for playing kiddo.
But you're just screaming and flailing, what's there to respond to?

>> No.1377628

>>1377619

OK this ruse has gone on long enough, nobody reply to him anymore.

>> No.1377683

>>1377619
>they're either on better hardware or they had time to figure out the existing hardware
If you have to make excuses for why the graphics aren't great, then you are agreeing that the graphics aren't great.

>By your logic lords of shadows is the best
It very well may be, I haven't played it.
Art style, attention to detail, creating seamless environments, and so forth are far more important to me than the technical quality of the graphics though.
I mean, in some ways I think even Castlevania III looks better, honestly.

>Opinion.
What's your point?
It's no less an opinion than your opinion, and I did no less to back up my opinion than you did yours.
You haven't made any arguments for why IV is the best. You've just come in here, spewed hot opinions, and insulted anyone with a different opinion than you. Don't expect anything more than what you put in when people reply to you.

>> No.1378505

I love SotN but I really wish it would have been a hell lot harder or at least it should have had a difficulty setting.

>> No.1378946

despite all the butthurt this threads are a statement of how good the series is

>> No.1381161

>>1377619

are all SCIV fans this autistic?

>> No.1381184
File: 195 KB, 309x323, 4ptUhoJ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Everyone ITT a fan of the same series
>Still shitting on everyone because of opinions
I swear, this place gets more /v/ like every day.

>> No.1381191

>>1381184

this happens all the time in zelda threads

this never doesn't happen in zelda threads

>> No.1381609

>>1381184
Actually, castlevania threads on /v/ are a bit more civil. Mostly because SotN and Rondo are regarded as untouchable by a lot more people there.

>> No.1381963

>>1376634
Yeah no.
That game was artificial difficulty at it's finest. Only good thing about it was the music.

>> No.1381972

>>1381609
SotN was the death of good Castlevanias, leading to an era of shitty Metroid games further ruined with pointless grinding bullshit

>> No.1381976
File: 24 KB, 704x400, Twins of Evil (1971) 029.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1381184
Opinions are irrelevant. It is a fact that, say, Castlevania 1 is more challenging than SCV4, or that Castlevania 1 (or 2, or 3, or Rondo) gave much more music to the series canon than SCV4. It is also a fact that SCV4 has the biggest sprites and, as a result, the smallest gameplay space. It is a fact that bosses can be killed by smashing without any dodging or strategy whatsoever if you come with enough health (unlike any other classic Castlevania).

What is an opinion is that, all these combined, make it a worse game than most classic Castlevanias.

But opinion =/= worthless. Opinions are the only point of any discussion, unlike what that infographic on yahoo has told you. You don't discuss facts, you research or state. Opinions is what's up for a debate.

>> No.1381983
File: 16 KB, 320x224, 1391448831119.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Castlevania 3 particularly has far better music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVGlQDF42g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9X1iRAjC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dRzjA_Xlc

graphically the game is just ugly and even considering it was for the snes & close to being a launch title it's still ugly as hell and is one of the worst looking "high profile" games on the console

>> No.1382007

>best classic castlevania: super
>best metroidvania: sotn

OP picked out what is disputably the easiest of all games from both styles.

I think he made his choices based entirly on that he couldnt handle the other games

>> No.1382014

>>1382007
best metroidvania is DoS

>> No.1382025

>>1381983
>Castlevania 3 particularly has far better music
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VVGlQDF42g

I wish I hadn't deleted my reaction image folder.

>> No.1382042
File: 70 KB, 767x505, 1366765835218.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>everyone forgets about Castlevania X68000
Has anyone here managed to beat this? Since you die in 4 hits in the later levels, it leaves very little room for error.

>> No.1382052

>>1382025

what do you think is better

>> No.1382053

assuming you were disapproving...your post is vague i'm not sure tbh

>> No.1382058

you unlock a hard mode after completing it, although it doesn't make that much difference

>> No.1382070

>>1382052
SCIV's soundtrack.

>> No.1382084

This game is so nostalgic for me, and I didn't even grow up with the SNES; it was just the first Virtual console game I played in 2006 when the Wii came out and I was 10.

It was also my first classicvania. Yes, laugh at me all you want, I'm only just 18, my first castlevania was Aria of Sorrow, ha ha ha. But anyway, I fucking loved SCIV, it had amazing atmosphere ( that fucking cave!), amazing music and seemed challenging as fuck compared to AoS...

So I guess the only point of my post is to say that I like this game, and it played a huge part in getting me into retro gaming, but also that its really not that easy. Easy for a classic castlevania game, yes, but still not babbyshit easy. And the art style to me is great, whether you think it's 'grimdark' or not.

I agree with some of the people in this thread who think the retro community is far too fixated on challenge; its not all that makes a game good, look at kirby for instance. Kirby pretty much falls under 'babbyshit easy' but is still a fucking timeless, fun, memorable experience thanks to its visuals, atmosphere and music.

>> No.1382090

>>1382070

it's not

definitively not

>> No.1382093

>>1382084
>10 in 2006

>> No.1382095

>>1382090
No, my opinion is right. Not yours.

I trust you see the error in your thinking and await your apology.

>> No.1382098

>>1382095

you know nothing about music or music theory

>> No.1382102

>>1382093
I just realised that you aren't underage, jesus christ I feel old

>> No.1382104

>>1382084
I never understood the 'if it's easy it sucks' mentality. By that logic, Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Mega Man, Chrono Trigger and more are all terrible series.

>> No.1382106

>>1382098
That didn't sound like an apology to me.

>> No.1382109

>>1382104
its because of people trying to be 'hardcore'

>> No.1382114

>>1382098
The flying fuck does music theory have to do with anything?

>> No.1382115

>>1382114
It's so people can pretend there's an objective system of qualifications for what music they and others are allowed to enjoy.

>> No.1382129

>>1382115
Fucking hell, music theory doesn't even imply that concept even exists. How can people be this fucking ignorant?

>> No.1382130

>>1382104
Because playing a game is boring if you cannot lose.

>Zelda, Pokemon
You play those for the adventure, but yeah, they are way too easy for their own good, which detracts from their enjoyability.

>Mario
Some of them suck, some are cool.

>Mega Man
The hell? Mega Man is challenging. Well, it depends on the game, but they're not a piece of cake all the time at least.

>> No.1382140

>>1382130
>Because playing a game is boring if you cannot lose.
Grim Fandango called.

>> No.1382143

>>1382140
Depending on how he defines "lose" that could also include games with infinite lives. Like Abe's Oddyssey.

>> No.1382157

>>1382140
As I said, you play adventures for the adventure, sure, but you don't fucking play Castlevania or a Mario platformer for the plot.

>>1382143
Any kind of punishment when you don't do good enough qualifies.

>> No.1382167

>>1382140
In adventure games, you're constantly losing until you find a solution to a puzzle. That's how it works.

When puzzles are not challenging, the game is considered boring and pointless.

>> No.1382176

>>1382167
That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day and I just got back from a lolicon thread on /b/.

>> No.1382185

>>1382176
But it's not, you fool. If you cannot advance the game, you can't fucking win it.

>> No.1382229

>>1382185
By your logic, you're constantly losing.

>> No.1382238 [DELETED] 

>>1382229
>logic
the word logic doesn't belong in a post with a logical fallacy. fuck off back to /v/, kiddo

>> No.1382262

>>1382176
Actually, your post is clearly the stupidest.

>> No.1382263

>>1382238
Man what crawled up your ass for a shag? You're getting really upset over nothing.

>> No.1382292

>>1382140
What does a dialogue heavy adventure game have to do with 2D action games? Castlevania and Grim Fandango are not good for the same reasons.

>> No.1382346

>>1382109
Really? You think people only say that it doesn't make sense to fight through a dozen stages of undead hordes only to face an anticlimactic final boss because they want to appear hardcore?
You don't think every reasonable person would say that it doesn't make sense for a bossfight to be the easiest part of a level?

>> No.1382353

>>1382292
Grim Fnadango isn't good. It's a nice work of interactive fiction, but as a video game it's horrible.

>> No.1382375

>>1381963
the first game is a cakewalk, medusa heads all fly in a set pattern the only reason you take hits is because youre bad at the game. Its pretty average as far as NES game difficulty goes too so you need to git gud.

>> No.1382389

>>1382353
>It's a nice work of interactive fiction
Whatever you want to call it. It doesn't need to meet the same criteria as castlevania in order to be enjoyable, since you play it for the dialogue, setting etc, not because it lets you whip demons back to hell.

>> No.1382416

>>1376773
>He thinks the other castlevania games aren't "grimdark."

You're adorable.

>> No.1382426

>>1382416

flagrant misuse of the phrase "grimdark" itt

>> No.1382514

>>1381976

> It is a fact that bosses can be killed by smashing without any dodging or strategy whatsoever if you come with enough health

I dare you to put that to the test on youtube. Don't dodge and just whip.

>> No.1382526

>>1382514
I like SCIV and am mediocre at the series overall, but it's seriously true you can just bull rush about 2/3rds of the game's bosses. Though it's not really untrue of other games in the series.