[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 73 KB, 550x287, covershot[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1370971 No.1370971[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Back in the fourth generation, games that appeared on different platforms could end up wildly different with different mechanics, levels, and all around being a totally separate experience from each other.

These days "port" just amounts to nothing but: play the game on a different platform but everything's the same.

This was a good example. The SNES and Genesis versions of Animaniacs were quite unique from one another.

>> No.1370987

The very, very last grap of this was in the 7thgen with the Wii, Sonic Unleashed and Dead Rising were drastically different on Wii due to the systems own limitations.

Which, incidentally, I don't believe it's an inherently bad thing. I'd rather have 2 different games (like your Animaniacs example, or Aladdin too) than the same experience in different platforms.

Also, Forgotten Sands on Wii was a different game altogether, with even a different plot.

What was the last time we saw that? TMNTIV and TMNT Hyperstone Heist?

>> No.1371306

Also the ghost busters game on 360/ps3 and the wii/ps2 versions were very different

not to mention that ghostbusters 2 on NES had two versions. I'm still looking for NEW Ghostbusters 2.

>> No.1372519

I suppose system spec plays a role in what can be done with a game.

>> No.1372615
File: 31 KB, 228x243, 1304150477328.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sonic 3D Blast

I bought the Genesis version based off Saturn reviews and information. Wow, I actually like the music for the Genesis version better, and the intro is more impressive because of the graphical limitations

>> No.1372639

Aladdin for SNES/Genesis is a prime example of this.

Now most people will say the genesis version is better (at least in my personal experience) because at the time the animation looked really fluid, but it had awful sound, pretty random level design and gameplay that did no represent the film at all. I mean aladdin didn't even use a sword.

But the Capcom SNES game is a gem. It's gameplay makes sense, you swing off stuff and only take out enemies in a goofy way. Also had a tons better sound track.

I remember feeling that the genesis version was better until I actually played them both in retrospect.

>> No.1372648
File: 48 KB, 255x275, 2292.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Robocop VS The Ternimantors is another great example for SNES/Genesis

Genesis version is just MMM MMM GOOD

>> No.1372765

This happened to the Beavis and Butthead games. The Genesis version is actually a fairly interesting adventure game, while I hear the SNES version is more straightforward.

>> No.1372772

Sparkster was a completely different game on snes and genesis
They're both great but equally inferior to the original

>> No.1372839

Back then, most games were written in assembly language so "porting" usually meant "rewrite game from scratch".

Today, most games are written in C++ so porting just requires you to change some API-calls, tweak code/assets and recompile it for the new machine.

>> No.1372890

Even if they were different games at the core, they generally seemed to be better on the Genesis. Was this due to many third parties breaking from the grip of Nintendo, or was it because the Genesis had far better assemblers?