[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 487 KB, 420x315, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1365592 No.1365592[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Growing up a Sega fanboy and a Nintendo kid, I never really played the PS1 as a kid except at friends house. I have one now (several actually), and I have played several of the well known games, the final fantasies, Tomb Raiders, Gran Turismos, Oddworlds, Parasite Eve etc.

What are some lesser known PS1 games that are just oh so good?

>> No.1365596

Check out the Jumping Flash games. They're super trippy platformers that ooze that blocky 90s 3D charm.

>> No.1365601

Trap Gunner, but I'm pretty sure nobody else agrees with me that it's actually good.

>> No.1365604

LSD, the dream simulator.
it's really... something.
just avoid the man in the trenchcoat

>> No.1365603

>>1365596

I'll give em a shot, thanks

>> No.1365612

>>1365604
I'd love to have a physical copy of this game

>> No.1365632
File: 37 KB, 150x150, 1390794094534.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alundra is a great Zelda-type game with really good hand-drawn visuals. The game is very challenging and filled with some tricky puzzles, so it makes for a refreshing playthrough. The game is pretty cheap all things considered (25-30 bucks).

Silhouette Mirage is an odd platforming run-n-gun, but it is very enjoyable. Made by Treasure, of Dynamite Headdy and Gunstar Heroes fame. Game is similar in that it's a lot of boss fights and new things thrown at you. Price varies because it's Treasure and Working Designs, but careful searching will usually net you a copy in the $30 range.

I'd be remiss without mentioning an excellent shooter RayStorm, which is a great-looking PS1 title. Its sequel, RayCrisis, I like more, but it's a very cerebral game that not as many people get in to. RayStorm is still fantastic - an epic, sweeping scope and fun boss fights to keep you entertained. Usually $30 or cheaper.

>> No.1365678

>>1365601
I played that with friends and it was agreed it's awesome.

>> No.1365703

>>1365592
Tomba! is the shit (called Tombi in Europe). It's a really quirky sidescrolling adventure platformer game (I guess). The gameplay is pretty fast paced and the controls very crisp. The fighting is unusual but very fun. The whole game has this RPG style "event" system that moves the story along (with tons of sidequests) so it all feels very catchy. It had a sequel called Tomba! 2, but I never got around to playing it.

Klonoa is also a platformer, but the gameplay has a different pace. As I remember it's split up into levels and has a lot of puzzle elements for collecting items in the levels (not really necessary unless you want to 100% it). It's very charming and known for it's music.

Einhander is a great sidescrolling shmup. It's in 2.5D and the controls are really slick. The soundtrack is great as well, the weapons, the maps, the designs, everything about it is just great. The story takes place in the future after the Moon has been colonized. The Moon has more sophisticated technology than the Earth and it sends down pilots on suicide missions to destroy Earth infrastructure. You are one of these pilots. There's also some crazy metaphors in German relating your strikes to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Silent Bomber is a third person .. not quite hack and slash. The controls are very responsive. You have this weapon attached to each arm that locks onto targets and shoots bombs onto it. The bombs stack and you can detonate them remotely. There's three different types of bombs you get that have different effects and you can change the stats of your weapon by picking up hidden chips throughout the game.

I'm actually in the process of modding a PS1 so I'm going to be playing through a bunch of games I missed out on at the time as well. Tail Concerto, Omega Boost, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and MediEvil are up there on my list, I don't think I can write a review for any of them myself since I haven't played them.

>> No.1365881

not lesser known, but Soul Reaver is the shit

>> No.1366219

Thanks everyone, all the suggestions are now on my Amazon wishlist, and I am downloading ISOs to try them out.

>> No.1366235

>>1365632
>RayStorm
You, sir, are my nigga.

>> No.1366249

Vagrant Story is a Japanese RPG, that isn't too weeb, so if you like that sort of thing I would recommend it. It's a long game so of you don't think it will hold your interest then maybe not, but I really liked it.

>> No.1366258
File: 187 KB, 960x657, Untitled 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Touge Max G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSWhDYoLcVM

second tomba 1 and jumping flash

trap gunner is like what metal gear online would have been like on ps1

>> No.1367073
File: 42 KB, 350x351, Tenchu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first Tenchu is a somewhat flawed but very rewarding stealth ninja game. With the cheats you can have a lot of fun meta-gaming ways to kill guards.

>> No.1367140

>>1365592
Maybe not all of them are lesser known but:

Xenogears. Really good JRPG, kind of loses it's magic toward the end but still a great game.
Omega Boost is a great 3D shoot up with 360 degree combat and awesome music
Dino Crises is basically Resident Evil with dinosaurs although the second game is more action orientated.

And there's always the recommendation wiki which has quite a few forgotten games on it.

>> No.1367181
File: 35 KB, 639x640, 1390866695866.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You heard the man! DRINK.

Play Pepsiman.

>> No.1367224

My favorite game on PSX is Dino Crisis 2.

>> No.1367563

>>1366219
Some of these games are pretty rare and expensive nowadays OP. Valkyrie Profile and Rez for example.

>> No.1367591

everybody knows them, but all the spyro games are awesome.

>> No.1367668
File: 129 KB, 256x254, Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ghost in the Shell, made by the same developers as Jumping Flash games.

Play it even if you never watched GitS (you should though)