[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 171 KB, 414x291, trash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1361318 No.1361318 [Reply] [Original]

Did the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean anything? So many awful games were released on the NES and SNES. What was the point of the seal if it didn't confirm the game was high quality?

>> No.1361328

It meant that it was licensed by Nintendo.

>> No.1361330

Honestly, I assume the game would get the seal if it didn't totally break the console.

>> No.1361338

it meant you wern't buying a game that had only 1 enemy on the screen and the screen looped over and over

or that the cartridge would actually run on the system

back in the atari day games like this existed. Its not a stretch to say that the atari had dozens of games that were as bad if not worst than an action 52 game.

>> No.1361339

>Did the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean anything?
Yes, it meant the developers paid Nintendo for the privilege.

>> No.1361343

>>1361338
It was basically this
Most of nintendo's heavy third-party restrictions were specifically to root out the causes of Atari's demise and the aftermath it had on the industry. The seal of quality was a guarantee that you weren't getting 'pure' shovelware, which was combined with the restriction that any company building for the console could only produce 5 games a year (to limit the mass of garbage that atari had dealt with due to a very lax licensing policy, where you simply paid a minor fee for free reign) to force companies to only produce legitimate games that they thought would sell. They also forced developers to build cartridges through nintendo in order to minimize the ability of employees to leave and build cartridge mod startups and the like (another major problem with atari's consoles), as well as enforce strict anti-piracy laws.
Basically everything nintendo did in gen 3/4 was done to fix atari's mess

>> No.1361346

>>1361343
TL;DR:The point of the seal of quality was a playable game and not something like Action 52

>> No.1361349

>>1361346
righto
i just wanted to get at the bigger reason for its existence, as from today's perspective there'd be no reason for a company to tell us that the game officially went through any of the console developers to be developed

>> No.1361392

>>1361343
That wasn't really a problem for computers where absolutely everyone could produce and publish games and software.

>> No.1361407

>>1361392
That's because computers are not for games, so games are barely relevant at all.

>> No.1361423
File: 1.49 MB, 1280x1744, 1390643161438.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1361407
Most home computers were intended for games, hence why they had joysticks.
Computers were part of the reason the console market crashed because they offered more options for games and beyond.

>> No.1361432

>>1361423
I don't know what game he's playing, but it looks boring as hell.

>> No.1361452

A lot of people here basically said it. Company put basically a payment to say their game would actually be playable. It turned a lot of people off since with Atari they got a super minor fee and even then you had way more control back then. But that also means someone would make a Action 52 game and sell a few to make a bit of profit. The seal just meant the developer was willing to invest more money so if they make a complete shit game they would be in the red right away.

>> No.1361467

>>1361423
When I see that picture it makes me think Bill Gates is holding out his hand to me, waiting to put my money in his filthy Jew hands.

>> No.1361669

>>1361392
that's probably because there wasn't a single market -to- flood. Atari's success with the 2600 led numerous start-up consoles to come up, including complete clones, along with a mass of copycat games and other garbage to completely shit up stores. Most of those games and cartridge hacks, of course, focusing on the 2600 console.
Computers didn't even legitimately enter the game market until the early 80's, when texas instruments dumped a load of failed computers into the sale bins making it actually competitive with console pricing. And of course, without any of the garbage you had to deal with when you used a console and the added benefit of all the extra benefits inherit to a personal PC. After that, PCs were marketed but no single PC system ever actually took massive control of game market (entirely unlike that of the console market) so there was never a single market or the hype or even the coding structure to allow for the same problems (and immediete benefits) that one could find with the console market. Like, for example, PCs didn't have an Activision company getting to be a 50 million dollar company over the course of only 18 months from startup.
The console market also featured a much less capable system of lock-out, where companies could maintain their control over the industry. This was, of course, due to a number of reasons. I believe the primary ones (in comparison to PC) being the simplicity of use and the much lower hardware to software ratio($129:70)

>> No.1361686

>>1361669
and because I'm tired and don't really want to continue this, i'll just quote
>Finally, we also discuss “tipping,” a tendency in this type of industry to rapidly adopt a single dominant stan-
dard [81]. Examples would include IBM compatible PC’s and VHS format videocassette recorders [32]. However, probably for reasons similar to why lock out did not occur, tipping was not common in this industry. Although the industry has been highly dynamic, there are some firms that have persisted for some time. Atari(1976–1997)andNintendo(1986–present)were dominant players in their respective generations and actively competed
in the market for several years. However, there were several franchise for Nintendo. Other companies that dominated in various generations, such as Coleco in the second and Sega in the fourth, that did not persist.
There were also a number of challengers present in each generation that obtained significant market shares with nondominant designs. Thus, we can conclude that tipping was rare in this industry. Compared to the orphaning of CP/M by DOS in the PC industry, there is a much lower level of user-based network effect, i.e., intangible switching costs, in the video game industry, allowing multiple formats to exist at the same time

>> No.1361714

>>1361423
holy shit that is cheap for a computer in the early 1980s!

>> No.1361725

>>1361432

The game is Adventure Cop. It's kind of an early weirdo simulation-focused game that takes you through "training" to be a police officer (that's part of what we're seeing here, strange as it may seem) and then makes you do these crappy little turn-based encounters with crooks.

The license was actually acquired by some arcade developer later on and used as part of the basis of the Police Trainer games, which were much better.

>> No.1361726

>>1361467

haha

>> No.1363969

>>1361318
In one of the Conker playthrough videos made by the developers of the game, they talked about how much effort they put into getting that seal of quality.

Apparently it was really hard, they had to play through the entire game several times without a single crash and stuff like that, no gamebreaking bugs etc.

>> No.1363976

>>1361349
And yet they all do it.

>> No.1363991

>>1363969
>they had to play through the entire game several times without a single crash
Yeah man, imagine that nowadays. A game that doesn't crash? Preposterous!

>> No.1363995

It means their PR girl gave Howard Phillips a hummer.

>> No.1364015

>>1363969
I remember they had to change the 'Thank you' soundbyte in the graves on the Mad Monster Mansion level in Banjo-Kazooie several times, because Nintendo kept hearing 'Fuck you'.

Hilarious.

>> No.1364042

>>1363991

I'm confused by this post

Is it sarcastic?

Do you think that game crashes are some hyper common thing on modern Nintendo systems?

What are you trying to communicate?

>> No.1364227
File: 66 KB, 582x371, DLC machines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1364042
He's taking a shot at modern consoles (i.e. the DLC machines). Where it's common for AAA games to be unfinished buggy messes and where devs have gotten lazy to the point of developing a "We'll fix our shit later" mentality.

>Do you think that game crashes are some hyper common thing on modern Nintendo systems?
If anything, a game that doesn't crash is something that is apparently now unique to Nintendo (and few others). Specifically, the first paragraph of this following link:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-super-mario-3d-world

>> No.1364267

>>1361467
>Bill Gates is holding out his hand to me, waiting to put my money in his filthy Jew hands.

Bill Gates is actually pretty cool and is giving away most of his money nowadays.

I think you are thinking of Steve Jobs, or Mark Zuckerberg, or even Eric Schmidt.

>> No.1364269

>>1361318
Look at soem of the shit on the famicom we were lucky.

>> No.1364273
File: 28 KB, 600x300, rare being rare.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1364015
If you had to work with Rare you'd be paranoid too.

>> No.1364290

>>1361714
That was kind of the point, and the reason for the C-64's success, especially in yurop where ibm pc's were even more expensive than in the us

>> No.1365425

>>1364015
And it still sounds like fuck you

>> No.1365437

>>1361467

LE GOYIM XD

Fuck off back to /pol/. Gates is one of the few Billionaires who's constantly giving money away.

>> No.1365441
File: 105 KB, 534x400, shitposting.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1365437

>> No.1365497

>>1365441
You think he doesn't know that? That image if anything just encourages it to piss off the people who post it instead of stopping it.

>> No.1365503

>>1361318
>Did the Nintendo Seal of Quality mean anything?
It meant that the developer had submitted to Nintendo's predatory "developer contract" and was bound to only release games for the NES.

>> No.1365854

>>1361343
>any company building for the console could only produce 5 games a year
Not related to your post and likely well known by a lot of user on this board, but a lot of companies had to make "additional" companies to by-pass this limit. The most well known one would be Konami's Ultra Games brand.

>> No.1365864

>>1361338
Care to name some examples?
I can't really think of any. As bad as E.T. was, it was still a functional game and doesn't really fit that description.

>> No.1367235

>>1365864
E.T. wasn't even that bad by Atari standards. It got its reputation because they printed so many copies, more copies than there were Ataris at the time, and it was right around the time of the system's demise and played a small factor in causing the video game crash. Honestly the fact that it worked and had graphics that kind of conveyed what it was trying to show put it a step ahead of many Atari games.