[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.01 MB, 1824x1368, DSC01248.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1350091 No.1350091 [Reply] [Original]

Random member from The Cover Project here. We're trying to catalog box art for every retro game released, and we're doing well, but still have games that are completely unscanned & Undocumented.

As a board with a good amount of collectors I figured this would be a good place to ask. Does anyone here with a scanner feel like contributing to the project? The more obscure the game, the better.

Do't own and Obscure or Rare games? Well that's ok, because we still have a good amount of sports games nobody owns in need of scans.

Guidelines

*300-600 Dpi Resolution
* Decreen Option on when Scanning
* Try to Flatten Box / Insert When Scanning

Scans can be submitted here, or if you don't feel like it, upload to mediafire and I can forward them to the site.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?board=5.0

>> No.1350094

As an example, here is a list of SNES games we have no scna of, though SNES games are really popular, so we will most likely get these eventually at sme point.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=10797.0

Scans we need badly would be things like gamegear, turbografx 16, etc, that most people do not have boxed.

alright, going to check back in an hour or two, hopefully this drums up some interest. We have tutorials now too on how to make your own case art if anyone is interested.

>> No.1350963

I just bought like ten CIB Odyssey 2 games today. One of the stores I stopped at had more boxes from Atari 8-bit computer software and peripherals than I've ever seen in person in my life but they were all empty and they wanted $180 for the lot. Couldn't do it. I have quite a variety of weird stuff boxed though. Lynx, TG NGPC etc

>> No.1351135
File: 1.05 MB, 624x1136, 1390218728674.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh hey, I used to use that site a lot when I decided to put my GBA cartridges in DS boxes.

I've scanned the box to the Japan-only Super Famicom/Super Nintendo title "Shin Megami Tensei if..." which seems to be missing on the site. I don't have a Mediafire account so I simply uploaded it to Dropbox, I hope that's all right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quon7w9fwm63i5j/Shin%20Megami%20Tensei%20if....zip

>> No.1352193

Is this project only for printable inserts for custom boxes, or is it also for a repository for HQ scans of original boxart?

>> No.1352396

>>1352193
I'm sure people wouldn't dismiss high-resolution art from the original packaging to use for remaking into modern-style inserts, or reprinting the original style of packaging.

>> No.1352413

Get more PC/DOS game art.
So many times I got to find a cover for a non-CiB game I have, and you don't have it archived.

>> No.1352442

I'd rather people post bounties (no need for payment, just most wanted items). I have a few boxes, but I don't care about complete packaging in my collecting.

>> No.1352452

>>1352396
reproducing packaging sounds like a great use, although I'm more into HQ resources for frontends myself, and just general preservation.

I hope I can contribute, so I'll take a good look.

>> No.1353070
File: 2.36 MB, 2100x1440, 1390287226883.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would think that major publishers like Nintendo would keep an archive of the art files they send to the printers. But I guess you're trying to keep the project more grass roots?

I don't have a scanner at the moment, but I wanted to assure you that despite Majesco's sales pitch, Super Godzilla is not as exciting as watching a movie.

>> No.1353075

>>1353070
They have at least some of them, shown by the fact that you can still purchase some manuals from them. They're not the actual things, but still very high quality scans.

>> No.1353142

>>1353070
>http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=10797.0

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually has a copy of the ORIGINAL NON-MAJESCO print of the game?

>> No.1353157

>>1352193

Both, we're documenting Box Art, magazine scans, and even posters now. Anything now listed for download would be a great help.

>>1351135

Your scans look good. What other SFC games do you have you can scan?

>>1352396

any art is fine really. Sometimes the board members actually reconstruct entire case arts through magazine scans if they have no box art to work with.

>>1352413

Well if people don't scan it, it doesn't get archived. More of a reason to scan PC & doss games.

>>1353070

Most likely, but the other reality may be that that art is lost to the ether forever. I'm sure Howard Phillips has a ton of prototypes as well as box art that will never see the light of day but in the meantime this is the only real alternative.

So again, if anyone has anything to contribute, please feel free to post and scan. I guess you can focus on SNES/Super Famicom for now, but any scans are welcome.

>> No.1353460

>>1353157
Ah, the only SFC games I have with the boxes intact are SMT if... and SMT1, but you already have the latter on The Cover Project. I'll see if I have some PC games or something that you need.

>> No.1353662
File: 2.28 MB, 2500x3216, Turboforce 03 cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1353157
>any art is fine really. Sometimes the board members actually reconstruct entire case arts through magazine scans if they have no box art to work with.

Ah, I was wondering about that. I have a fuckload of magazines.

>> No.1353684

>>1350091

I think the N64 section needs to be updated

>> No.1353685

>>1353662

We've had a lords of thunder case for some time now, but if you have scans for any other turbo games go for it.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=6191

>> No.1353693

>>1353685
That was just the only example I had on my desktop at the moment. The problem with scanning anything but covers is without a proper backing, the opposite side of the page shows through, messing up the scan, and I have no black paper.

Anyway, it would be more convenient to post a most-wanted list, so anyone with the wanted items could just fill it in on a whim. Keep in mind that most people keep their magazines and boxes in storage.

>> No.1353763

>>1353693

Well if you need specific SNES games as examples I can post a list of what I personally think people have been making requests about the most on the message board. In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can compile a new list of cases we have no art for.

SNES

Final Fight 3
Fun 'n Games (does this even have a retail box?)
Incantation
Syndicate
Nosferatu
R-Type III The Third Lightning
Ghoul Patrol

Super Famicom

Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei
Deae Tonosama Appare Ichiban
Famicom Detective Club Part II
Feda: The Emblem of Justice
Magical Pop'n

>> No.1353772

>>1353763
Alas, I have none of those, but that's more like it. If we made a Classic Box Art General thread of some sort here, we could have a scavenger hunt of sorts to fill in some of the missing items using lists like these.

>> No.1353775

Any of you guys order any cases from Custom Game Cases? 3 bucks a case but the price is raising flags for me.

>> No.1353776
File: 335 KB, 1024x768, DSC08031_zps7ded05fd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1353772

That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to get to work on that list. Hopefully I can get it done soon. For now maybe we should just focus on SNES & Super Famicom. Don't want to overwhelm people.

That link I posted earlier is still fairly accurate after two years, so that would be a good place to start. I'm still really surprised a scan of Final Fight three hasn't shown up.

Variants are welcome too. To my knowledge, this is the only known picture of the Zombies ate my neighbors variant. If nintendoage is to be believed, only 1000 exist.

>> No.1353782

>>1353775

I've ordered a few cases, but mostly from eBay since they weren't available there. You're still better off making your own art and printing it yourself, but for convenience sake I guess they should be fine. No idea what their print quality is like.

>> No.1353793

>>1353782

That's what I'm mainly looking at, I just curious if they are halfway good quality or just some guy and a bubblejet.

>> No.1353904

>>1353793
I'd imagine color laser, since there's enough money in the market (such as it is) to justify the expense.

Alas, FedEx Office is bastards about printing anything. They even give you shit about your own original art.

>> No.1355529

Bumping because I just gotta eat lunch and then edit these covers before I can upload them and I don't want the thread to die before I'm done.

>> No.1356092

>>1355529

If you do upload them, try using dropbox or mediafire if possible. Other sites tend to resize art, which would alter your submission.

>> No.1356417

>>1356092
Welp, real life stuff happened and now it's the middle of the night. I'll get back tomorrow. It's mostly a bunch of PC games.

>> No.1356563

When I get a scanner I'm going to upload a ton, but that probably won't be anytime soon

>> No.1356602

>>1356563
You can find not-terrible scanners at rummage sales and thrift stores. My new scanner was made when USB 2.0 was still new. My first scanner was USB 1.1. Sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. New one is almost as fast as a camera.

>> No.1356843

>>1353904
>Alas, FedEx Office is bastards about printing anything.
Yeah, though I hear it kind of depends on which particular place you go to. Not /vr/, but I tried using them to make some GBA prints, and even brought in the DS cases I was going to use to house them along with the games to have more proof it was for my personal use and they still got snooty about it. Still got them made eventually elsewhere; heard some people say they've had luck at smaller/less popular stores that can do printing since they're just happy to make some profit.

If you've got a decent home printer you can bypass that, but you'll still need to make sure the printer's color output is synced to what the computer can see/what the actual colors in the file are.

>> No.1357056

>>1356843
I just shitty inkjet for my Saturn case inserts because NO ONE WILL EVER SEE THEM BUT ME, and my expectations and standards are low.

>> No.1357670

>>1356602

Any decent Canon scanner should be around $80 brand new these days. Hell, you can get a used scanner much lower than that.

>> No.1358661

>>1357670
Got my Canon 4200f for $10, and it was in a printer box at the afore-rambled rummage sale. Hurr. Made the Turbo Force scan, and that's the like 20% resolution resample of the scan.

>> No.1359131

>>1358661

Nice. Remember to use the descreen option when you scan, otherwise the scans come out with a circle pattern.

>> No.1359141

>>1359131
I've been doing digital imaging since the mid-nineties. Incidentally, descreen can cause a lot of fine detail loss where resampling doesn't, on certain images. Each scan is an individual case.

>> No.1360295

>>1359141

There's nothing stopping you from scanning something twice and uploading both versions. One for the people who want to use the art to make new cases, and the other for archival purposes.

>> No.1360323

>>1360295
Ice cream is delicious, fire is hot, water is wet.

>> No.1360376

Best way to print these en masse?

I would imagine taking a USB drive up to Kinko's or somewhere similar and just printing them out? How much would that cost?

>> No.1360391

>>1360376
They won't print them. We already went over this.

>> No.1360421
File: 20 KB, 600x442, Paper_cutter_2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1360376
Get a good printer and a paper cutter and do it at your own place.

>> No.1360442

>>1360391
Sorry, I hardly ever come to /vr/, just wondering.

WHY wouldn't they? Do they not want my money?

>>1360421
Ink is hella expensive, bro.

>> No.1360448

>>1360442
Because of copyright reasons. They even give you shit for trying to print your own art, since you could possibly have downloaded it from the internet or something.

>> No.1360457

>>1360448
Well ain't that some shit.

I will try to get this done someplace, eventually.

I guess a local store, like was said earlier.

>> No.1360543

>>1360457
Or just save up and buy your own printer, or use CraftsBovine or some other place in China that gives zero fucks. Won't be very cheap, but neither is classic gaming collecting.

>> No.1360702

>>1360543
Already have a nice printer, please see >>1360442

>Ink is hella expensive, bro.

>> No.1360742

I know it's been addressed here that Kinkos or Office Max won't print the covers, but will they scan them?

If so, I have a few I can offer that I see the site is lacking. Silent Hill retail art, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 retail, Medievil NTSC retail art, et al.

Also, do you guys take manual scans? If I can do it, I'd be happy to submit them.

>> No.1360749

>>1360742

>do you take manual scans

Of course. It's even harder to get people to scan manuals since it's equivalent to scanning 30 boxes.

Anything you feel like contributing would help. If you don't see it up, odds are nobody has it scanned.

>> No.1360789

>>1360749
Most available manual and box scans are shit resolution, shit quality, so even scanning something already out there can only be an improvement.

If you want to scan a manual, remove the staples first, and do so carefully, by straightening them. Manually reinsert them when you're done. Don't use a stapler, or staple removers.

>> No.1360794

>>1360749

Noted. Mind you, this won't be soon, but I'll help when I can.

Do you have a policy on custom artwork? I was thinking about photoshopping some of the SH designs to have a spine mural for display purposes, and could share them/do the same for other series.

>> No.1360835

I have a couple spinecards too I should upload, do you guys take those?

>> No.1360872

>there will never be decent third party plastic cases to put your old cartridges in that also have room for a manual

>> No.1360950

>>1360872

So make your own!

>> No.1360970

>>1360872
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

?

>> No.1360975

>>1360970
I've heard from people who bought those that the manual has to be bent to fit. also they don't fit NES cartridges without extra work.

>> No.1361128

>>1360835

If you can scan it and it's game related we take it. We're even branching out into posters and magazine scans now.

>>1360543

You may as well buy a case already made on eBay if you're willing to go through all that effort. God knows everyone else is.

>>1360789

And that right there is why we have so few. Folding a box is easy. Removing the staples of a manual and scanning every page can get difficult. Don't scan anything you're uncomfortable with just for us.

>>1360794

Our main priority is retail arwrk from all regions first, but we accept custom art as well, as long as the art isn't owned by someone on deviant art that would complain and have it taken down or something. Out Final Fight 2 and 3 cases are made with fan art for example since we don't have any scans.

Spine murals are great, just try and have both if it's not a hassle. I love having my mega man games on NES all match in a row, but a lot of people go for uniformity.

>>1360835

Sounds good. I'm sure someone could use them eventually.

>>1360872

Universal game cases, while not made specifically for manuals, work pretty well for the most part. If you don't like those, I'm sure something better will come along eventually.

>>1360975

The NES part is true, you have to modify them which is a royal pain, but there's not much alternative right now. You could always store manuals somewhere else, or maybe put them between two pieced of cardboard/foam before you put them in a case. Be creative I say.

>> No.1361345

Be careful trying to do it at home, guys. I've been printing these myself because even though the FedExOffice near me has absolutely no problem printing them and is cool with it, I'm getting honestly crappy color reproduction from them. The reds are too orange. My home inkjet is actually better with the proper glossy paper.

The problem though is I got a paper cutter from my dad to try it on, and maybe the blade is just old and dull but holy shit did it fuck up my paper. Mangled it horrifically half the time, didn't cut, just bent. I ended up printing stuff, then going to FedExOffice just to use their cutter, which they give absolutely no shits about.

Only thing I had to deal with was this poor schizophrenic guy who kept trying to come in and tell me about jesus.

>> No.1361380
File: 1.23 MB, 1625x1600, 1387453297407.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cover Guy, is there any reason that you don't have these kind of covers? They're for putting into a cassette box.

>> No.1361385

>>1350091
is there a place i can enter the games I have and it tells me which ones aren't scanned?

>> No.1361387

>>1361380
For some reason the Cover Project is really bad about actually putting shit people make on the forums into the frontpage/website archive.

Search the forums and you can find a bunch of these.

>> No.1361403

>>1361380

We actually have a 22 page topic on that right now.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/forums/index.php?topic=5827.msg126165#msg126165

The good thing about cassette cases is the scans don't have to be very high resolution since the cases are so small any way. It's when you get to say DS or 8 disc poly cases that the scans being at a high resolution really matter since you can tell if they're blurry or not.

>>1361385

There's a search bar at the top of the site. If you don't see it in there, odds are we don't have it. I posted our most wanted SNES entry list. Did you need other lists of stuff we don't have specifically? I think I saw a genesis list floating around.

>>1361387

Our standards are really high. We get submissions that haven't been color corrected, have a moire pattern over the entire cover due to not being descreened, or are just plain low resolution 90% of the time.

The mods are really picky about that sort of thing.

>> No.1361406

>>1361403
I still see plenty, PLENTY of high quality stuff that gets posted on the forums but never put on the site. Not saying it's the fault of mods, I think it's the other way around, people are assuming their shit isn't good enough and don't even bother to submit it.

>> No.1361929

Hey guys, I have won a cheap copy of Comix Zone for the Genesis, and it comes with a case and manual. However, the Case doesn't have the plastic sleeve that holds the art in, so I was thinking about taking one of those plastic paper holders and gluing it to the box. My question is, can I just print a Comix Zone artwork on a regular piece of paper, or do I need to do something special, or special sizes, etc?

I do know Comix Zone never came in a case, just a box.

>> No.1362238

>>1361929
Regular paper would be fine. As for replacing the plastic sleeve for the case, I'd use a similar flexible and translucent plastic that is not prone to creasing when you look at it funny, and use a low-temperature soldering iron with a wedge tip to attach it along the original seams? Never done it myself, because I don't give enough shits to bother.

>> No.1362439
File: 1.86 MB, 1100x1000, IMX_genesis_comixzone.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1361929

>plastic paper holders
>ruining the box by gluing something to it

Do you know anyone who can spare a universal game case? That would fix your problem. Most of my cardboard releases are in UGCs simply because the boxes are falling apart.

If you know the dimensions of a real plastic sega genesis box you can resize art on the cover project and just insert it into some sports game case you don't need.

As for paper, you can use anything, but the higher "pound" the paper is, the less transparent it will be and will look better because of it.

Don't use laser paper unless you're using a laser printer obviously.

PS: covers on TCP need to be printed on legal size paper, otherwise they don't come out the right size.

>> No.1362823
File: 191 KB, 1600x1200, $_58.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1362439
This is what it normally looks like, got it for only a few bucks. Gluing a piece of plastic on it won't hurt anything, I'm just doing it because why not.

What I was asking is how do I print the image, dimensions wise? I do know UGCs, and by extension Genesis boxes, are similarly sized to printing paper, just a bit less long and about 3/4's of the height.

>> No.1362838

>>1362823

Wouldn't it be easier to go down to goodwill or omething and look for a sports game for $1.00 instead of modding the box you already have?

From there you would need to download the cover art on the site and resize it to sega genesis box dimensions, then all there is left to do is print it on legal paper and cut it to size.

>> No.1362843

>>1362838
Eh, programmers 20-30 years ago had to perform Olympian Athletics just to make their consoles do arbitrary stuff such as load something into memory. I might as well see if I can do this.

>> No.1363043

>>1362838
Many Goodwill stores dump all video game items to shopgoodwill.com, charging people who use the site a handling fee to win back all of the costs for shipping the items from their stores to the site's warehouse. At least, that's how it's been in Ohio for a loooong time.

>> No.1363254

>>1363043
Is this why there were no video games at the Goodwill I went to in Ohio, the other day?

>> No.1363264

>>1363254
Possibly. I haven't seen anything other than the odd bare PSX slathered in sharpie since about 2005. I quit going thrift hunting a couple years back due to there always being nothing in northeast Ohio and western Pennsylvania stores.

>> No.1364180

>>1363264
I never find anything at Goodwills. But other thrift stores, I usually find stuff frequently.

I actually live behind a thrift store, so I go there like at least twice a week. Usually they only have controllers though. Sometimes, I'll get lucky and score games and/or systems.

>> No.1364598

>>1361929
>>1362823

Since everyone was so helpful regarding one of my questions (printing dimensions of Genesis art), I decided to get the answer myself. For those interested, my measurements were 10 10/16ths inches long by 6 3/4ths inches tall.

>> No.1364780

>>1364180
My craziest find at a thrift store was at a local Salvation Army. I had an overwhelming compulsion to stop at it when I was driving by. Walked in, compelled to go to the back. Compelled to pull a box from under the TV and microwave table. Dig to the bottom of the box. Grab, and remove. What did I get?

Game Gear link cable.

>>1364598
Sorry I didn't just give you that info. Lack of sleep made it hard to pay attention to anything posted for the past couple days.

>> No.1365079
File: 439 KB, 1352x801, Dino City_0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The following SNES games have recently been scanned and no longer need to be on the list. If you're the guy who did this recently, thanks a ton. Dino City especially has some of the most funky SNES box art for the system

Bill Walsh College Football
Star Trek Deep Space 9
Primal Rage
Top Gear 2
Dino City
Tommy Moe's Skiing and Snowboarding
Vegas Stakes
Super High Impact
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits
Front http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/5c62/n9lipv60pzqhgr7fg.jpg
NHL 98
F1 Pole Position
SmartBall
Relief Pitcher
NCAA Football
Super Battletank 2

>> No.1367758

>>1361128

Magazine scans? How about old advertisements? I just picked up a box of about 300 comics from the 80s and 90s, all with video game advertisements for everything from the Atari 5200 to N64.

>> No.1367797
File: 494 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_0004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1364598
I managed to print out the sleeve, for only $.74 at Staples. According to the clerk, the paper used was "a step below photo paper", something like 32 pound paper? Anyway, here it is printed.

>> No.1367803
File: 476 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_0005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1367797
I screwed up the cutting a little, but it isn't noticeable enough. Either my cutter was shit, or the picture is off center. Regardless, I have it sitting in a Genesis case so that it bends to shape, this is not the broken case I mention that I'd fix.

>> No.1367816
File: 1.42 MB, 2132x2956, George Forman's KO Boxing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is an interesting idea you have, though i only have 1 box that you guys still need. Hope the scan quality is to your liking.

>> No.1367840

>>1350091
Are you only looking for NTSC-US games, or area you also compiling an archive for PAL or NTSC-J?
Because by far the most boxed games I have for retro consoles are PAL...
That said, I do have two boxed gamegear NTSC-US games, Jungle Book and Sonic Spinball, however they are both factory sealed, so I'm afraid I can't scan em properly for you...

>> No.1367887

i could scan punisher for genesis if you need it
i wish i still had DW 2-4 to scan, fuck life problems.

>> No.1367896
File: 895 KB, 232x137, 1288853762208.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1365079
>Still no Final Fight 3
It's never going to get scanned, is it?

>> No.1368228

>>1367840

All regions are welcome.

>>1367887

We have the NTSC-U punisher scan, but not pal or japanese scans to my knowledge.

>>1367896

I have a scan of the manual, but the problem with that is the manual art has the loho coming out the upper left corner by a lot, so it wouldn't fit right.

It's hard to explain, but yeah, we need a scan of this game pretty bad.

>> No.1368242
File: 422 KB, 1600x1200, fly.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Did someone say box art?

>> No.1368340

>>1367803
Looks swanky, like it was born that way. Neato.

>>1367896
I've only ever rented Final Fight 3, and that was like three months after it had come out. I've never seen or even played it emulated since.

>>1368242
Hide that before king faggot tears it up in his delusional quest to be the only Neo Geo AES collector in the world.

>> No.1368665

>>1368340
Hell yeah, Genesis games, I've learned, look MUCH better in cases than they do in boxes. Speaking of, what games were produced entirely as boxed games? I do know Bloodlines was a cased game at one point, and then eventually printed as a boxed game.

>> No.1368701

>>1368665
Sonic & Knuckles was cardboard-only, to the best of my knowledge. Of course, being an oddly-shaped game (discounting Virtua Racing), a standard plastic case was a no-go for it. Maybe Ranger X? Many of the later Genesis games were boxed when Sega went environmentally-friendly (read: cheap) with packaging that they rightfully assumed the masses were simply discarding. Even the 32X had that pulp material to make the inner forms for its packaging. My Genesis 1 box has molded plastic. NES, SNES, and Neo Geo had Styroafoam.

>> No.1368771

>>1368701
I think they used paper because they were losing a lot of money, so they had to cut corners whenever possible. That explains why they also printed black and white manuals.

And Ranger X came in a clamshell case.

>> No.1369035

>>1368771
Weren't black and white manuals pretty much standard for the most part? Even SNES games had black and white manuals.

>> No.1369150
File: 1.69 MB, 3720x2109, 1390948368659.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1367816
Wait, let me do that over. I didn't realize the top and bottom of the box were needed too. My bad.

>> No.1369580

>>1369150

This looks usable. Could you upload it to mediafire or dropbox so it doesn't get resized by the board?

>> No.1369586

>>1369035
Hmm, seems like you're right. They only changed the outer pages to be standard paper as opposed to thicker, colored pages. Otherwise they're identical.

Damn, even the NES had some colored manuals. Nintendo wasn't cheaping out it seems.

>> No.1369590

>>1369150

You might need to rescan actually. I'm seeing a ton of small circles on the scan. It should be a solid picture. Did you use the decreen option?

>> No.1369661

>>1369590
I checked before scanning, but i don't have decreen on my software. I'm using a Lexmark x5470 and there's nothing in it that can remove the circles. I downloaded what i posted earlier and checked the file size and dimensions, and it didn't get resized at least. 300 Dpi is it's max resolution.

>> No.1369671

>>1369661

Still the best scan we have of the game, so thanks for that. I'm going to forward it to the cover project now. Hopefully someone over there can start converting it to a universal game case template.

>> No.1369678

I have a few NES game boxes next to me, probably already been scanned for years, but in order of best to worst quality:

Final Fantasy
Robocop
Double Strike
Blades of Steel
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
TMNT 2
Adventures of Lolo
Image Fight
Super Mario Brothers 3
Super Mario Brothers 2
Conquest of the Crystal Palace
Dr. Mario

The first three are in great condition, the last three, not even close. If any need scanning, just say so. I'd actively seek stuff to scan if there were wanted lists for everything.

>> No.1369692

>>1369678

Oh wow, you have a cover for double strike in good condition! We've needed scans of that for ages. I believe it's one of those black cartridge unlicensed games for NES right?

If you can scan it, please do.

And as before, please descreen, scan at 300dpi, and upload to mediafire or dropbox/mediafire if possible.

>> No.1369719

>>1369692
The very same. What a crazy coincidence, eh? It looks like it was a rental copy, but there's no stickers on the labels, and the one on the manual is over an area of plain black. Since the manual is just two pieces of paper, I'll not take it apart.

>> No.1369876
File: 284 KB, 1024x1698, Box - Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Boop. I didn't do much in the way of cleanup or editing. 300dpi of everything but the edges of the sleeve, and the styrofoam block. Attached image is downsampled. All crud on the images is on the physical items, not on the glass of my scanner.

https://www.mediafire.com/?rx5w9bgoa8q9u87

>> No.1369937

>>1369876
>https://www.mediafire.com/?rx5w9bgoa8q9u87

Awesome. Forwarding to the over project right now.

Do you have a scan of the back by any chance? How about the manual? (the front of the manual would be more than enough )

>> No.1369946

>>1369876

Nevermind, didn't notice it was a whole rar file with a ton of scans. Just sent it off to be made into a cover. I have to say the scans are excellent. What kind of scanner did you use, and do you have any other boxes you can scan besides the titles you mentioned earlier?

>> No.1369947 [DELETED] 
File: 169 KB, 847x741, Image1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1369937
Do you seriously think that a 300dpi scan of the front of the box would be 32 megs, compressed?

>> No.1369956

>>1369946
Canon CanoScan 4200F, Paint Shop Pro 7 handling all the TWAIN operations.

I don't think I have many more NES boxes. I have a few wrecked GBA boxes, a decent amount of PSX and DC stuff, a couple dozen Genesis games, maybe one or two common SNES game boxes, about a dozen Saturn games, about as many Sega CD, like one not-ruined 3DO game case, and a handful of Atari 2600 games.

I don't intentionally collect boxes, I just get them when they pop up.

>> No.1369963

>>1369956

Well list what you have and I can tell you if we need it. That, or do a quick search at the top of the site for each title and see if they pop up or not. If you click on an entry and there's no art then odds are we could use the scan.

>> No.1369981

>>1369963
Hahahahaha, right. I'm not kidding about the wanted list. I have zero motivation to do anything, but I have a penchant for putting the last piece in place.

From where I sit, for Sega CD, I can see Dark Wizard, Heimdall, Dungeon Explorer, D&D: Eye of the Beholder, and Stellar Fire. For Saturn, I can see Soviet Strike, Street Fighter Alpha, Blazing Heroes, Virtual Hydlide... Eh. But like I said, I don't have much in the way of complete packages. I'm not a hardcore gamecollector. I also collect guns, Lego sets, Transformers, and laserdiscs.

>> No.1370002

this might sounds silly
but this might get me into collecting/using physical games once again

>> No.1370102

>>1370002

I actively buy up games at garage sales and flea markets as "lots", and a lot of the time I find boxes that aren't scanned and contribute. Someone has to archive this stuff or it's going to be gone forever.

Magazine scans and guidebooks are susceptible to this too. Emerald dragon was released on around 5 systems, but I can't even find a single scan of any of it's guides/artbooks, and only a single decent scan of the PC 98 version. It really makes you think, and more and more I feel like some game art is just going to disappear eventually.

>> No.1370143

>>1369150

It's Happening!

From a Mod on TCP Forums

>I did quick try to the front with Gausian blur at radius 4 and result was pretty perfect, so at least the front is salvageable. Maybe some other radius gives even better result.

>Thank you.

So yeah, looks like that cover is crossed off the list.

>> No.1370227

>>1370143
That's good. I was worried it couldn't be done when i suddenly realized how old my equipment was.

>> No.1370246

>>1370227

Anything is better than nothing, and in this case it's salvageable. The NES scan the other guy posted is going to be made into a case and added to the archive too. I'm going to see if I can get a list of the remaining cases we still need.

>> No.1370512
File: 557 KB, 1693x1638, gbgbgbf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

are these scans suitable for use as desktop wallpapers? if not anyone know a good play for retro vidya wallpapers?

>> No.1370547

>>1370246
Appreciated. All of my harder-to-acquire optical disc games are in the archive already. Thanks to hipsters, actively seeking boxed games NOW is a fool's errand. The only reason I collect anything is for the sake of preservation and re-use anyway. Hell, except for the one missing end-flap, I could scan G1 Optimus Prime's box.

>> No.1371215
File: 2.26 MB, 3366x2100, doublestrike_tcp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Covers for Double strike are done. Should be added officially to the archives soon.

Retail

http://www.mediafire.com/view/dxsun70vjjljei1/doublestrike.jpg

TCP style

http://www.mediafire.com/view/98ajap0zj2uq5bq/doublestrike_tcp.jpg

>> No.1371639

>>1371215
Looking spiffy, but there's still that crease below the face on the cover that needs removal. I'd have done it myself when I scanned it, but it was late and I had work in the morning.

>> No.1372586

>>1370512
I wish I'd seen this thread when it was up. This guy is not alone. When I was in 6th grade we had to write a story that was at least 3 pages long. I used the dialogue from FF6 and wrote out the actions of the characters in the format of a novel. I think it ended up being like 11 pages long and I ended it as a cliffhanger at the Lete River after the Ultros fight.

Yes, I even included the snarky, talking octopus.

I got an A.

>> No.1373837

So anyone else have scans they want to contribute? So far we've got two covers that have been put up for download thanks to you guy, and that's pretty damn good. It's hard to find someone who not only has a scanner, but has a game we need added to the database.

>> No.1373839 [DELETED] 

>>1350091
wtf... why the fake box art if you are trying to catalog the real box art? I don't get it

>> No.1373842 [DELETED] 

>>1371215
wtf is with you guys adding that pointless and but logo on the side that wasn't here in the original box art, I thought you said the point of this was to archive box art, wtf are you doing?

>> No.1373846

>ruining perfectly good box art
this thread and "project" is repulsive, why is it even getting support here?
leave for a few months and this is what happens, ugh

>> No.1373905

>>1373839
>>1373842
>>1373846
Bitch bitch bitch.

>>1373837
The forums at Cover Project are a fucking mess. There's no impetus for anyone to scan anything. In my case, I can only be assed to scan stuff that there is a clear desire for. A nebulous pile of random titles is counterproductive. Which do you feel more compelled to organize? A pile of books on the floor, or a bookshelf with gaps in it? Needs to be a sticky with missing titles listed for each system, or something similar. My "rare shit" collection is nil after losing everything three times, but eh.

>> No.1373913

>>1373846
>leave for a few months and this is what happens, ugh

Feel free to leave for a few more months, and don't hesitate to kill yourself while you're away this time!

>> No.1373945
File: 2.37 MB, 3260x1370, demikidslightversion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1373846

>ruining

Before that guy scanned his cover for Double Strike, all that existed was a stamp sized cartridge photo on google images. There are THOUSANDS of game cover like that, and even more with absolutely no art available.

Try finding a decent picture of Dark Law, or spiritual warfare for example and tell me this project isn't doing some good.

Some scans are so rare the only pictures available for new boxes are from gamefaqs and have to be stretched like crazy to get to printing size. Poor poor demi kids. Your scan is so bad.

Speaking of handheld scans, gamegear and many gameboy scans are also completely undocumented. I think it's more because fewer people collect for handhelds, but it would be nice to have a full sonic set in a decent quality one day.

>>1373905

Ok, which system do I compile a list of scans we need for first?

>> No.1373954

>>1373945
SNES and Genesis, since at least a few people here seem to have stupid-rare shit like Hagane. More likely to get some hits on the common systems' rare games. Seems that everything I have for Sega CD and Saturn is already scanned. I don't have much else in the way of complete games.

>> No.1374729
File: 105 KB, 487x630, manslife-jan56.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1361380
Will a gameboy cart fit right into cassette case (between the tabs), or do you need to break the tabs off?

>> No.1374760

>>1374729
I believe you must trim down the spindle tabs, similar to how you must snip tabs in the universal game cases to fit NES carts into them. It's been a while since the first thread about the subject, so my memory is a bit dusty.

>> No.1374880
File: 2.98 MB, 4320x3240, IMG_0006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1361929
>>1362823
>>1367797
>>1367803

Here again, my copy of Comix Zone has managed to arrive. Let's get to work.

>> No.1374882
File: 2.81 MB, 4320x3240, IMG_0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1374880
Did I manage to glue a piece of plastic on the case itself? No, that was a catastrophic failure. What I did instead, since I had two sheets, is wrap the artwork in it, and then tape that to the case. I didn't trust the glue enough, not to mention I didn't have enough of the artwork to glue from.

>> No.1374891
File: 2.44 MB, 3366x2100, 1391193687542.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There was a thread like this a while ago and I submitted this one, but I didn't see it on coverproject so I'll repost it here.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i61ut965tv51tlo/DowntownNekketsuMonogatariUniversal.psd

>> No.1374897
File: 1.48 MB, 2048x1536, 1365395314324.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1374891
by the way this is an example of the shitty image I found online that I had to work with. Used my DNM cart's label as reference for the color correction

>> No.1376454

>>1374882
In my experience, tape is worthless for more than the time it takes to take a photo. Epoxy resin might be another option. It adheres very well to flexible things, but it's syrupy before it cures, which optimally, should take hours.

>>1374891
>>1374897
Excellent work.

>> No.1376934

>>1376454
It still holds on right now, so I think it's working fine. Thanks for the tip though!

>> No.1378469
File: 309 KB, 1625x1600, Tamagotchi Case Art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1361380
Some time back, I made a template for Tamagotchi case arts based off that.

>> No.1378476
File: 2.01 MB, 1625x1600, 1391314459486.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1378469
And here's my template for the original 1997 Tamagotchi.

>> No.1379371

Hey guys, I'm looking for box art of the following games, so I thought I'd ask here:

Game Boy Wars.
Game Boy Wars 2.
Game Boy Wars 3.
Game Boy Wars Turbo.
Super Famicom Wars.

I don't care about super high quality. Any decent pics would suffice. Thanks in advance!

>> No.1381010

I had an idea years back to recreate US Sega CD and Saturn manuals to fit in jewel cases. Oh, right, bump.

>> No.1382701

>>1379371
Good luck, anon.

>> No.1385098
File: 1.33 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump for interest, I suppose.

>> No.1385560

I need to get around to scanning my copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru eventually.

>> No.1385751
File: 192 KB, 600x800, IMG_2845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1373945
I will try to scan my Inindo and Mechwarrior 3050 for you guys. You're archive helped me make the covers up for my games. I'll see about doing it tomorrow.

>> No.1387247
File: 1.50 MB, 3240x3824, Inindo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1385751

>> No.1387262
File: 1.77 MB, 3184x3750, MW3050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1385751

>> No.1387312

>>1387247
>>1387262
Excellent. Hoping our Cover Project ambassador is still lurking about.

I remembered that I have an Atari Jaguar controller box, and the box for the SNES X-Band modem (as seen in >>1385098 ).

But nobody needs the boxes for those, I suppose.

>> No.1387349

I've noticed there a a LOT of games with scans that are, frankly, awful. Some of them for very common games too. I've submitted a cover or two myself, but the few I resubmitted that were significantly better/cleaner than was up were ignored or never posted/added.

Ideally, every cover should looks almost as crisp and clean as the original, yes?

>> No.1387364

>>1387349
You won't catch me disagreeing. On the forums, there's some discussion of replacing existing scans, but I CBA to read it because scanning anything is a pain in the ass for me.

>> No.1388603

>>1387247
>>1387262

Forwarded, thanks.

>>1387349

Our mods are weird...but yeah, as close to the original as possible would be ideal.

>> No.1388605

>>1387247

BTW, in the future if possible, try and flatten the image with a magazine, or put something a little heavy on top of the scanner. The text on the back is kind of blurry and could look better if you flattened the box a bit more so it's pressing closer to the scanner.

>> No.1388926
File: 1.10 MB, 3190x1843, Inindo-back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1388605
Apologies, I had even noticed at the time, but yeah. I had weighted the lid of my scanner, but apparently the box was too springy.

I'll see if I have anything else.

>> No.1389390
File: 1.56 MB, 3227x2078, AO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1388926
I have some genesis covers that aren't in your raws section that I'll post up here. I'll see if I have any other SNES games you guys don't have.

Captcha: Geniesi cording

Close enough...

>> No.1389404
File: 1.39 MB, 3254x2094, HN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389390

>> No.1389426
File: 1.62 MB, 3253x2042, JP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389404

>> No.1389440
File: 1.81 MB, 3214x2074, SM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389426

>> No.1389493
File: 1.54 MB, 3755x2829, SC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389440
This took longer than was worth. I couldn't remove the tape off the back without tearing, and the box was an awkward shape to scan. Also, hologram on the cover did not scan well at all.

>> No.1389503
File: 1.39 MB, 3234x2094, TE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389493
That's it for Genesis, I think.

>> No.1389508

Fished out my boxed game collection... Looks like I have a few items not in the listings.

Master System
>Castle of Illusion
>Great Football
>Hang On/Astro Warrior
>Hang On/Safari Hunt
>Spellcaster

Game Gear
>Sonic Chaos

Genesis
>Bimini Run
>Dune (not part 2)
>Sonic Spinball HOW IN THE FUCK IS THIS NOT SCANNED ALREADY
>Twin Cobra

SNES
>Primal Rage

Won't be too much of a pain scanning the Genesis stuff, since it's just sleeves, but the cardboard boxed games... Eh. Well, I did Double Strike, I can do more.

>> No.1389527
File: 1.82 MB, 3600x2326, FFL3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1389503

>> No.1389552

>>1389527
Well, the remaining SNES game boxes I have are:

BattleClash
Castlevania: Dracula X
Chrono Trigger
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy III
Gradius III
Metal Warriors
Mortal Kombat
Robotrek
Spectre
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Xardion

NES:

Castlevania (Not in good shape)
Mega Man 4

I think I also have the re-release Metroid box kicking around somewhere.

Lastly, I have a slew of older PC game boxes, but would be a bitch to scan.

>> No.1389606
File: 766 KB, 1680x1050, Holy fuckballs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bwoop. I hate scanning now. Going to upload all of this in one archive to MediaFire.

A few of the scans are poop from a butt, because when I put a shitload of ammunition on top of the scanner to weigh it down, it bowed the polycarbonate surface and stopped the optical scanny thingymagigger. Whoops! Also, some of this stuff came from a moldy basement before I owned it, so eh.

>> No.1389625

>>1389606
Using MEGA instead, as it's 123MB. TIFFs in a RAR archive. I'd use 7zip, but 1% more compression is useless to me under a gigabyte.

This time I put my name in the archive. Not like I want my name in lights or anything, but eh.

I WOULD like it if someone could scan Tron Bonne's manual, or at least the cover. That's all I'm missing from my Mega Man Legends collection, and it's like having a silver door on a black car.

>> No.1389659

>>1389625
https://mega.co.nz/#!xE8nnSKR!76zUiR2Z5UCbkCF3LCJ-kVnD0aSKSfgfnOoVV0iiEkI

Tah-durrr. Some of it is in need of some restoration, but nothing is beyond salvage.

>> No.1389835
File: 1.02 MB, 1647x3107, GG - Sonic Chaos - Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumpus maximus.

>> No.1389949

>>1389527

>decent scan of final fantasy legends

jesus christ, finally. Handhelds get no scanning love.

>> No.1390157

>>1389949
Because the packaging gets pitched more frequently than set-top console boxes.

>> No.1390381

>>1390157

That's true for sure. Pretty much everyone I knew growing up threw their boxes and manuals away immediately.

>> No.1390393

>>1390381
I never intentionally threw away game boxes, but the choice was seldom left in my hands whether I was to keep what I owned or not. I still have the box for my pistol, right next to the box for my Lego bank and the box for Final Fantasy for NES. So I shan't be losing anymore boxes, but since I hate most games available today, and some of the better ones have no boxes, period, eh.

Oh, I think I had sprung for a box for Mighty No. 9, or maybe River City Ransom... I can't remember which. I'll scan it/them when I get it/them. Maybe keep my Everdrive in it.

>> No.1391705

Anyone else equipped with a scanner and hard-to-find boxes?

>> No.1391760
File: 39 KB, 600x737, dreamcast-controller[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd love to start making covers for my burnt Dreamcast games.

Where would I find boxes that would do the job?

>> No.1391839

>>1391760
Boxes? Are you high? Just standard transparent jewel cases. Print the rear inserts, print the front insert (or entire manual for best results), assemble.

or just use the DVD case inserts people have customed-up.

>> No.1392143

Yeah... Not that I have an huge, super amazing, super rare collection to contribute, but I have kept most of my game boxes since the mid-Genesis days, and I'm sure I can fill in quite a few gaps, but I don't see a nice, easy way to figure out what is needed.

There's a great SNES list up above, but I couldn't find a list for any other system, and I can't be assed to look up every single system and click every stupid letter to manually check which of my games need a scan.

I'll still get some scanning done eventually, and maybe I'm being a little bitchy, but I don't see how you can start an archival project like this, and completely ignore the most basic level of organization. I get it, it's not easy to simply name every game for a system, but even a valiant effort at a good list would make the entire process MUCH MUCH simpler.

>> No.1392429

>>1392143
My sentiments exactly, but I just grabbed my least-common games, sorted them by alphabetical order, and then checked the listings for each system to see of those games were listed or not.