[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 287 KB, 635x764, formats.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1336783 No.1336783[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello fellow gamers!

V's reccomended game wiki is considering revamping the game list structure and would like your feedback as to which you like better. All game list tables will be sortable wikitables so you can arrange columns alphabetically with a single click of each title row.

> Format 1: five columns
Title, box art, year, description, in-game screenshot

> Format 2: four columns
Title & box art, year, description, in-game screenshot

You can post your thoughts here, or come vote in our strawpoll at strawpoll.me/1018807

If neither look good, feel free to toss out other suggestions here! Thank you for your thoughts. We run off your suggestions.

>> No.1336791

My votes for option 1 but why is there so much extra white space?
If you can't do away with it, do option 2, but make the title centered below (or above) the title cover

>> No.1336789

>>1336783
format 2 except the name should be 2 spaces under the image centered and bolded or 2 spaces above the image centered and bolded

>> No.1336804

>>1336783
Go for format 2.

Put the release date in brackets after the name and that gives more space to write the description. As the others have said, center the text as well.

>> No.1336806
File: 91 KB, 800x1131, Baloon Fighters.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1336791
The white space is unavoidable due to the fact that different titles are different lengths and the columns are too long to really have the titles be at the top of each and still be sortable.

Wikia also has less screen real estate than some other wikis which is why the debate began.

>>1336789
True, that would help. Thanks for the feedback! Don't forget to vote in the poll.

>> No.1336825

As someone who visits the site often, I would vote for number 2. Not only do I think it looks sleeker, but it seems like it would eliminate the annoying sidescrolling some of us with older non-widescreen monitors have to deal with

>> No.1336829

>>1336804
I like this idea stylistically, but I also like the idea of being able to sort the tables by date (or any other column).

If we were coding a website with total freedom, we would be able to implement date-based sorting while also having the name and date nice and compact above the picture, but since this is wikia, I suspect we can't do that.

Are the tables even sortable in the first place? I use an extension that makes all tables sortable by any column so I never know if webpages I visit are meant to have sortable tables or not.

>> No.1336830

If you decide to go with option 2 I urge you to do this: >>1336789
Also center the images within the tables.

>>1336804
This I would support but I suppose some people would want to sort by date.

>> No.1336847
File: 173 KB, 593x604, Bowser.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1336830
>>1336789
Yeah, we had dates in brackets at one point but it made sorting by date glitchy so we removed them.

>> No.1336865

>>1336804
Yeah, go with this. Also bold the title as well

>> No.1336913
File: 111 KB, 800x1131, Dig Dug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1336865
Ok, so we need to...

* Bold the titles
* put two spaces under each name/above image
* center and bold each name

>>1336829
Sorry about missing you earlier!

Sadly this is wikia. It's pretty limited. The tabes are sortable, but they are always by numeric/alphabetic and go off the first letter/number the system hits. It can glitch sometimes if the first thing it his is a symbol like a bracket.

>> No.1336964

>>1336913
>Sadly this is wikia. It's pretty limited.
It's stupid to me that in the modern era we still have badly written content systems that can't handle simple data presentation like this, but since we know that it's going to be a headache anyway (what with it glitching out on brackets and such, like you said), I think we should just put it behind us.

Let's just ignore how the tables function, and focus on how they look. The order of these lists isn't particularly important anyway, it's the content of them, especially the art and descriptions. In that case, since the goal should be to make everything as friendly and readable as possible, in addition to bolding, centering, and spacing the titles, I think the year in parentheses should also be included beside or below the title in the same cell.

>> No.1337009 [DELETED] 
File: 97 KB, 650x488, gannon & Aku.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1336964
They are shooting for stuff that is harder to hack which means things can be pretty basic sometimes. They don't want people breaking their massive popular site.

A man after my own heart when it comes to readability! Feels so good. Anyway, dates could go in brackets on some pages. It might require a second poll, however, to convince every mod and admin to agree with it, though!

Have you tried editing on wikia? Frankly, I'm not an expert and we could always use more people who have some idea how wikis should work.

>> No.1337026
File: 97 KB, 650x488, gannon & Aku.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1336964
They are shooting for stuff that is harder to hack which means things can be pretty basic sometimes. They don't want people breaking their massive popular site.

A man after my own heart when it comes to readability! Feels so good. Anyway, dates could go in brackets on some pages. It might require a second poll, however, to convince every mod and admin to agree with it. On the bright side, they are listening!

Have you tried editing on wikia? Frankly, I don't know everything and we could always use more people who have some idea how wikis should work.

>> No.1337080

This isn't /v/ and your wiki is a cancerous piece of shit now.

>> No.1337145
File: 198 KB, 389x365, 1377089053445.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1337080
1.) Just because it's /v/'s wiki doesn't mean /vr/ doesn't use it. I'd MUCH rather have people use /v/'s recomended than the 10 threads a day "WHAT ARE THE BEST GAMES FOR THIS CONSOLE/GENRE?"

2.) If you can't see past the shit and 100% believe everything on there is worth playing than you're retarded. It's really easy to figure out what's worth it or not, especially since you can look up gameplay and stuff.

>> No.1337179

>>1337026
I've been admin on and creator of several wikia, including admin on central wikia for a time. However I don't go on there regularly anymore, so there's not much I can help with besides recommending that you check other wikia for design inspiration and hang out in wiki irc channels, especially ##mediawiki and wikia-related ones on Freenode, they're your best bets for help with anything more advanced than just editing.

Also my sympathies, I was on wikia most regularly 2007-8 and that's when they started being a headache, making major changes(sacrifing content space for ads, sacrificing wiki individuality for a consistent look) in the name of maximizing profit, pushing away wikia like Halopedia and WikiFur to becoming independent. I assume monobook is still no longer an option for default skin, but you could still recommend users to use it, I'm pretty sure it offers more room for content than whatever is now default.

>> No.1337294

>>1336783
>V's reccomended game wiki
It belongs to Reddit.

>> No.1337647

>>1337080
>>1337294
Fuck off already. OP is trying to fix it and you still don't get it.

>> No.1337653

>>1337294
Shut the fuck up and make it better.

>> No.1337661

Wish there was some kind of tally for each game that users could click a game and basically +1 it.

That way you get a general idea of just how many people reccomend it.

>> No.1337663

>>1337661
Too exploitable and people should try to avoid being influenced by a silly number.

>> No.1337707

>>1337653
Impossible. The problem isn't just that reddit got the scent of it, the problem is systemic going up to the worthless admins running it too.

>> No.1338829

>>1337707
Reddit is nothing to do with it, pig fucker. It's a wiki. It doesn't matter if the bad eggs are from 4chan, something awful, gaia, reddit, stormfront, or from a fucking car forum; there are people who either have opinions different from you, or get off on ruining wikis.

If you hate it so much to an admin level, open up your own wiki.