[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 6 KB, 367x137, playstation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1326438 No.1326438[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Looking for some recommendations for PS1 games to play. Just tell me some of your favorite games for the console because I probably want to play them. And maybe a little short explanation of why you like them.

>> No.1326470

majora's mask

>> No.1326510

well op, looks like we're in the same boat; i just bought a ps1 for nostalgia reasons and now i'm looking for games.

basically Metal Gear Solid is the best game for ps1, best graphics on the system (not that anyone with good opinions cares about graphics), also has best gameplay and you can get a lot of hours out of it.

If your a comic book fan, get the spider man game, its clutch. it isn't like the "spider man 2" game with open world and all that shit, but its a hell of a lot of fun and when you beat the game you get a new costume to beat the game with (and if my memory serves me correctly there were 10 or so extra costumes), and the carnage boss battle was fuckin great.

any final fantasy game if your into rpgs.

fuckin disneys hercules. I know its crazy, but the game has great flow, its so hard to explain but the gameplay is soooo smooth. and talking danny devito.

the crash bandicoot games are crazy fun, so are the spyro games.

thats all i can think of now

oh and silent hill was the shit.

>> No.1326530

>>1326510
I am so happy that you reminded me that that Spiderman game exists. I fucking loved that game.

>> No.1326542

Gradius Gaiden

>> No.1326540
File: 22 KB, 250x250, 250px-RE_Survivor_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nowhere near as bad as people say it is. It's not as good as the original trilogy but it's still a solid game with multiple paths and the many handgun types can shake up the gameplay a little. It's also just short enough to do multiple runs and learn to speedrun.

>> No.1326569

>>1326530
it was linear but somehow inexplicably fucking amazing. i don't get it but it was and still is god tier.

captcha: otpgam still

>> No.1326592

I'll give my top 5:

>Einhänder
My favorite shmup I've ever played. You get a wide variety of guns to choose from, and can mix and match them 2 at a time, as you play. The music is amazing, the bosses are all really cool, and the game's difficulty increase as you progress is flawless.

>Ghost in the Shell
You spend the game in one of those Tachikoma robots, and the gameplay is mission-based. The missions are pretty short, so it's a great game to pick up and play without having to sit through a lot of exposition or anything. The greatest thing about this game is the sliding, and climbing on walls and ceilings. If you hold L1 and R1 at the same time, you slide across the ground, and you can let go of either button at any time to strafe in different directions. As for the climbing, you can climb up any object: up buildings, on the ceiling of a tunnel, whatever.

>Galerians
Think Resident Evil meets Akira. You are an unstable telekinetic boy who escapes from a facility, and tries to find answers. You have to use a variety of different drugs throughout the game to stay alive, and you can set people on fire.

>Herc's Adventures
Even better with a friend. You can play as Hercules, Jason, or Artemis, and play through cartoonish Greek Mythology, in a beat-em-up sort of fashion. There are giant pigs, minotaurs, red hot chili pepper breath, aliens, and more.

>Ape Escape
Very unique game controls, tons of gadgets to unlock, and very fun gameplay. There are many, many unlockables in this game, so it'll last awhile.

Honorable mentions: In the Hunt, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Fear Effect, Tomba!, The Unholy War.

>> No.1326607

SaGa Frontier.

Seven routes with thier own stories such as a robot with corrupt data relearning its lost mission, someone turned into a super hero to prevent them from dying, a magician learning magic to duel his brother, and others as well.

There are four races that develop differently and there are no experience points or levels. You often learn skills mid battle, and the game often lets you explore the entire world as you please within the first hour.

>> No.1326669

>Trap Gunner
One of the best multiplayer experiences out there. More of a battle of wits than outright combat.

>Evil Zone
Great rock/paper/scissors combat, with unparalleled presentation. The guy who voiced Duke Nukem plays a super sentai hero.

>Destrega
A better Dragon Ball Z style fighting game than any of the actual DBZ games - developed by the Dynasty Warriors team so you know it's solid.

>Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
As addictive as it is enjoyable. Totally tongue-in-cheek but totally fun.

>Soul of the Samurai
Resident Evil + swords = pure awesome.

>Bushido Blade 1 & 2
Once again, if you're into multiplayer it doesn't get much better than this. Tons of fun trying to psyche other players out.

>> No.1326683

jrpgs:

>>1326438
Xenogears - must play. Fuck the second disc, but the entirety of the first disc makes it worth it. I just love the lore, the battle system, the mechs...everything about it.

Wild Arms - Laugh all you want at the graphics that don't age very well, but the music is amazing.

Digimon World - Only get the first one. The rest are garbage. Raise a monster, save the world. If the monster dies, just raise a new one. Fucking sucks when you get a poop monster.

Suikoden 1 and 2 - obligatory.

Star Ocean the Second Story - This was my first jrpg, so sorry if I'm a little biased about it, but I thought it was great. Stay for the battle system, rage for the cheap ass bosses near the end. And that star ocean 'what a twist'.

Tales of Destiny - My favorite tales of game. Its what you'd expect from a tales of game, except 2D active combat. Stahn for best tales of MC.

>> No.1326685

>>1326592
seconding galerians, if you can put up with the voice acting. the artwork was done by one of my favorite manga artists, too. the one on ps2 is pretty terrible, though.

>> No.1326689

I forgot to mention Lunar 1 and 2, especially 2. It was released on Sega CD as well, but on PS1 it has the working designs translation, which is hella better, though missing out on Ronfar macking on fat chicks.

>>1326540
if you live in america, try to put forth the effort of getting the japanese version of this game. They took out the lightgun support in the US release, making it incredibly obnoxious to play.

>>1326510
honestly, you can skip some of the final fantasys. if you didn't grow up while they were being released, they're obnoxious to play since they have not aged well at all for the most part. the collections that squaresoft released of 1-6+chrono trigger are worth playing, though, as well as tactics.

>> No.1326694
File: 61 KB, 640x640, Hellnight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hellnight/Dark Messiah -- first person survival horror that's pretty dated but still creepy.

>> No.1326706

>>1326569
Because it's Neversoft game, also Apocalypse with Bruce Willis and THPS series. This company know how to make linear games with entertaining and sometimes very challenging gameplay.