[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 284x407, 1389235765214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1326041 No.1326041[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Any recommendations for a japanese nes game that is easy for beginners in japanese?

I'm learning japanese right now and want to see if I can play some kids games. Sort of like how people will pick up kids books in other languages to read.

>> No.1326045

Wagyan Land is a good game to start with.

>> No.1326054

>>1326041
Sweet home was great.

The only problem I had was when I found the slide, I thought it was a playground slide that would take me to another part of the castle and I was pissed I couldn't use it. I never tried to pick it up, broke down and used a guide.

Then I realized it was a projector slide.

>> No.1326059

>>1326041
No. There are no Famicom games that are suitable for a gaijin such as yourself.

>> No.1326246

>>1326045
Given its complicated use of hirigana I'd say it's a very bad place for beginners to start.

>> No.1326267

>>1326246
Shouldn't be that complicated for a begginer, it only gets truly difficult when kanji are involved, but there's hardly any kanji in Famicom games.

Give that one a try, you might even learn some new words. I was just playing it a few minutes ago.

>> No.1326319

>>1326267
You're kidding right? Maybe if the OP took six years worth of lessons. remember that most people learning the language don't live in japan.

>> No.1326326
File: 1.21 MB, 3305x5000, ellohell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1326054
>I thought it was a playground slide that would take me to another part of the castle and I was pissed I couldn't use it.

>> No.1326357

I'm actually serious when I say this. Dragon Quest. They never use really hard words and you can go at your own pace.

>> No.1326432

>>1326357
I'll agree. DQ is really good for learning really simple stuff. たたかい、てき、にげる。

ホイミ。

>> No.1326473

i do the same thing op. imo its best to play a game youve played in english a lot and then play it again in another japanese. for me its final fantasy 5. i have it on my ios too. its neat. if i forget what they said or meant in english then i can switch my system settings back and forth.

still dont count on learning to read this way. you should still no grammar and whatever. learning this way is really only good for vocabulary since a lot of the time characters dont speak 'correctly' or theyll have different dialects. for example the english translation for dq4 ds has ragnar speaking with a scottish accent and some others speaking 'frenchl like zis.

>> No.1326478

>>1326473
know grammar* omg

>> No.1327117

Pokemon gen I.

>> No.1327135

Try the Captain Tsubasa games, they are translated, but you can try them. Famicom Tantei Club could be another option, it's mostly hiragana but it has a lot more text. You can try reading some of the dialogues in the prologue here. Take in mind that the kanjis used for the characters here are not used in the actual game.

http://www.adventureisland.org/adv1/fa1zk1.html

>> No.1328090

>>1326473
That sounds like a good idea, thanks.

Yeah, I'm still going through some books/rosetta stone. Its just that I'm getting tired of seeing the same words and names as they get endlessly repeated.

Figured it will add some variety to the learning, give me a chance to see the language being used in a non-text like manner and expose me to more vocabulary.

>> No.1328121

Reading in pure kana is absolute misery and I wouldn't recommend it over playing SNES games with basic kanji. The Japanese don't use them just be elitist and make the language look intimidating.

>> No.1328142

>>1328121
What are some good SNES games then?

>> No.1328151

>>1326267
Except that the lack of kanji in older games due to tech limits makes it more difficult to read, and you'll need a good degree of native proficiency to know what's being said since you need to base it on context.

Not knowing kanji is like walking into a medical class and not knowing that osteo- means bone.

>> No.1329160

>>1328142
Somebody mentioned FF5 above. I've already played through it half a dozen times in English so I only messed around with it in Japanese for a couple hours. but it's relatively gentle. Most of it's grade school kanji, and I remember there was furigana for common but complex words like 洞窟 (cave). The text is large and easy to make out compared to a lot of SNES games.

>> No.1329886

I'll second Dragon Quest and add FF3 and even FF4 on the SNES. I played through these, and the forgettable Magic Candle, with no prior Japanese study, and tagainijisho open in another window; by the time I got to FF4, I was getting the sense of what was going on in a dialog without checking the dictionary and playing at a reasonable speed most of the time. The single biggest difficulty was finding explanation for the grammar of all the weird dialects like whimsical old-man speak and so on; there's a great webpage out there with some excellent concise summaries of that stuff but I can't be bothered to dig it up now.

I did that all in a winter hibernation period where I had nothing else to do, a few years ago. I keep thinking that when I have another chance, I'd start doing games with kanji (and have been making a list), but there's way more work involved up front. Playing hiragana/katakana-only games makes it a lot easier to start.