[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 940 KB, 1200x900, 1388271579069.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1301709 No.1301709[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Dear /vr/,

I just got my first game controller (for the 360), and I cannot into precision at all. I have never used a controller before.

I am specifically having issues with the D-pad. I don't seem to have much control over whether I want to be pointing straight up, or diagonally. Will I get better once I get used to it, or are keyboards just objectively superior?

Your sincerely,

Anon

>> No.1301726

>>1301709
The 360 d-pad is somewhat shitty. You'll have much better luck playing non-analog games with a Playstation controller. I used Dual Shock 1 and 2 pads with a cheap Chinese USB adapter. Worked fine in damn near everything that didn't demand a 360 pad.

The 360 pad is fine for modern games and such, but I prefer the Dual Shock 4. Holy balls that controller is comfy. And at SIXTY FUCKING FUNBUX, IT HAD BETTER BE.

>> No.1301737

A digital joystick is better suited for some situations but keyboards are a decent option for digital control if you're used to them.
Gamepads like that have more use for analog control.

>> No.1301741

>>1301726
>>1301737
Thank you very much for your advice.

>> No.1301787

>>1301709
>Issues with an Xbox d-pad

Yeah, you picked the worst d-pad to learn on of all time.

>> No.1301793

>>1301787
Hey, at least the X360 pad can do diagonals, unlike every Nintendo d-pad ever.

And it doesn't tear your skin off like the Playstation d-pad.

>> No.1301796

>>1301787
>>1301793
I haven't touched the Xbox One's d-pad yet, but thinking back, I haven't really ever liked d-pads from the big three.

Now logitech makes a decent d-pad, wear issues aside.

>> No.1301814

>>1301796
I've yet to handle an X-Bone controller, but I've heard good things about it. The PS4 pad requires third-party software to work with Windows, but at least it's not AIDS-INFESTED CHINESE MALWARE like the shit you need for PS3 pads.

Best solution is USB adapters for your original controllers. Be advised, Saturn USB adapters are not cheap.

>> No.1301819

>>1301814
You haven't needed aids infected malware for quite some time. There's simple xinput wrappers now.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

>> No.1301828

>>1301793
I recall the 360 dpad not being able to do much of anything well, diagonals included. The skin tearing I can't comment on, as I have admittedly limited dualshock dpad experience.

>> No.1301865

>>1301796
Are there any specific logitech gamepads you would recommend?

>> No.1302164

>>1301814
I'm pretty sure PS4 controllers work natively with Win8 at least.

>> No.1302180

there is a knock off 360 wired one I found with a stellar D-pad called "ex pro mini" or something like that. So far i use it for retro emu and it rocks. hard. I have had a hrd time tracking down a second one as no one sells them anymore where I live

>> No.1302186
File: 36 KB, 600x532, 1388285857845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1301865
I like the logitech rumblepad series. Just don't expect much out of the analogs. The ones on the controller I had a few years ago weren't very good. They were pretty loose and the shell outside of the sticks was square which was just awkward.

There was another one I had that was like an Xbox controller. That was pretty good, too, until it broke.

They also sell models that look more like the original playstation controllers. They're a bit cheaper, but you don't have as many options given the analogs are gone, so something like N64 emulation is probably going to be crap. Or anything else that needs the extra buttons.

>> No.1302187

>>1301828
360 dpad can do anything fine, the only problem is that the tactile feedback is very iffy, leading to situations where you thought you pressed the button but you really didn't. It is caused by the small shape of the pad - it just doesn't have enough space to tilt properly.
However once you are adjusted to it, it stops being a major issue. Anything I can do on a Megadrive or Saturn dpad, I can just as easily do on the X360. The only real problem I have anymore is that the face buttons are a little too wide apart, which makes it slightly more difficult to do commands that require pressing multiple buttons as the same time.

Skin tearing was a very common issue on the PS1, couple of my classmates who played a lot of Streetfighter Ex on the PS1 all had the skin torn off of their thumbs. they may have fixed it by the Dualshock 2, I dunno.

>> No.1302197

>>1302186
>Buy PS3
>Only 1 controller
>Try pluging in that exact logitech controller just because
>Works fine.

I was impressed

>> No.1302212
File: 61 KB, 500x500, Mini EX Power A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1302186
I can vouch for this, the Analog sticks on this thing are pretty bad but the D-Pad is probably the best thing you can get without having to go out of your way to dig for something else.

Also if anyone wants to still use a 360 controller and doesnt have huge hands. I recommend this thing in my image. The D-pad is still not the best but its waay more serviceable than the normal 360 contorller

>> No.1302213

>>1301793
>skin-tearing

What? Seriously, what? Do you have psoriasis or something?

>> No.1302350
File: 23 KB, 500x436, Logitech F310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1302186
>>1302212
I can't seem to find a wired rumblepad seller in my area... What do you think of wireless gamepads? Is the response time OK? I don't really trust wireless things, thought I might be wrong in my opinion.

Also, what do you think of picrelated?

>> No.1302374

>>1302350
I really don't like the analog triggers on f310. Structurally it feels like a cheaper Rumblepad 2 with 'clickier' buttons. It has a little switch for directinput and xinput though, which is neat.

>> No.1302375

>>1302350
I have an F710 and so far have had little problem with it. D pad is kind of average though.

>> No.1302386

>>1301709

I've read that it's possible to get the 360 d-pad to work correctly by carefully taking the controller apart and like sanding down some bits or gluing in an extra shim or some such

seemed like way too much work for me so I just bought a USB adapter for my SNES controllers

after that I was finally able to finish Double Dragon 2 (thanks to no longer wasting a life or two every stage because my controller decided to walk me off a ledge)

>> No.1302397

>>1302350
Dpad is too wibbly wobbly and the deadzones in the analog sticks makes it impossible to play some N64 games. Otherwise adequate.

>> No.1302398

>>1301709

a point of interest unrelated to controller quality: some people, when using d-pads, sort of peck and poke at the pad with the tip of the thumb, whereas some lay the thumb across the pad and hold it there always and rock it appropriately to push the directions

personally I do it the latter way and think it's crazy to use your thumb tip but I've run into some guys who seemed never to have imagined that you could do it my way

so, that might be something to play around with (ideally on a d-pad that doesn't suck like the 360's does)

>> No.1302517

>>1302398
i do the latter also. I've been using a 360 afterglow for 3+ years for emulation and never had a problem.never even considered getting a different controller until recently,and that's only because the face buttons are wearing out from abuse,sticking or not responding. dead zones were never an issue, right analog for n64 c buttons worked well, d pad isn't bad at all. i also have huge hands(xl workgloves are tight usually),especially my thumbs,the tip covers 95%of the d pad at all times. aside from sticking it always does what i want it to. I'm thinking used ds3 with a Bluetooth dongle now. thoughts?

>> No.1302532

>>1301709
just use the dualshock 2 controller and get a USB adapter. Personally the dualshock 2 controller is my favorite. Dualshock 1 has a sharp dpad and Xbox controllers piss me off.

>> No.1302546

>>1302398
>>1302517
Oh I feel so stupid right now, I was actually doing it the former way. I tried placing my thumb in the middle and it's much better; I actually feel in control now. Thank you so much!

>> No.1302729
File: 52 KB, 500x375, 51a07qfdvlL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I used to have a link to an article that basically said to sand down a bit of the inside of the D-pad area on the 360 pads. Supposedly the design is flawed and doesn't give enough room to accurately and quickly press directions without mashing. Awful for fighting games.

Pic related is the best D-pad controller I've had so far. Easy to press the direction you want and you can feel a slight click to know you've done the job. And it has the 6 buttons on the right side, which was exactly what I needed for Marvel Vs. Capcom and Street Fighter. Now I think this style is called a "fightpad".

>> No.1302737

>>1301709
I'm just finishing my quest to find a controller with a decent dpad. i tried to find one to play modern pc games as well as retro, but it was nigh impossible. i finally got one with and "ok" dpad but it is still not good enough.
then finally it hit me. i have a bunch of controllers that work well and i like sitting around the house for various consoles. Gamecube, PS2, N64. i just needed to get an adapter. i got two different ones; one for n64, and one that doubles for gc and ps2. i spent $25 on both of them. i heard that people like to do the same thing but with a wii classic controller. i was considering it but i didn't feel like shelling out extra money to get both the controller AND the adapter. there are plenty of options out there, you just need to find the one that works for you.

>> No.1302742

These days, all the old console controllers feel like garbage to me. Seems like the controller makers both don't give a crap any more about the d-pad and also are just cheap in general because even the analog sticks tend to suck.

I like the N64 analog stick the most. It just seemed the most accurate. I really hated the original old Dual-Shock sticks (low and wide, and super slippery), and not much has improved since then.

>> No.1302770

>>1301709
do d-pad fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBZVN9t9ztE
It makes d-pad much better and after fix its not nearly as bad as people say, but its still not best d-pad ever