[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 46 KB, 500x495, 968full-driver-2-(ps)-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1300536 No.1300536[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why isn't this game well-liked, /vr/? I enjoyed both Drivers.

>> No.1300625

Considering the fact that I own and have played through driver 1 and 2, I thought they were good, and the psx had nothing better to offer in that category then the driver series.

>> No.1300634

>>1300536
I wish I played or knew someone who played 2.

Everyone I know only played 1.

>> No.1301002
File: 142 KB, 1360x880, driver 2 havana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like the whole series, even the GBC version. And 2 is my favourite, followed by Parallel Lines on PS2. Using today standards, the only problem with this game is the draw distance. Actually I don't care about it, considering the size and details of the four cities, it's impressive that the PS1 could handle it. Also, the controls always were pretty good.

>> No.1301043
File: 20 KB, 480x360, hqdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The reason it's mostly forgotten is that GTA3 came out and did everything Driver did plus a lot more.

We can't really talk about GTA3 on /vr/ but the Japanese Runabout series is a bit better than Driver. There was a US release of the first game, under the title Felony 11-79. I bought Super Runabout for Dreamcast back in the day and greatly enjoyed it. I actually just bought Runabout 2 in a small lot of import retro driving games but I haven't played it yet.

They have kind of an interesting mechanic where everything you damage or destroy has a dollar value and many of the missions revolve around doing more or less than a certain dollar amount of damage, and there are unlockable vehicles that can do a LOT of damage (tank) or very little damage (RC car) and the games do a good job of scaling their graphics back and forth to give a good sense of the size of your vehicles. Like, the exact same course can be two completely different experiences depending on the size of your vehicle.

>> No.1301048

That goddamn mission where you had to stop the truck with explosives falling off the back. I hated it.

This wagon's heavy with the jelly.

>> No.1301148

>>1300536
I played both, they were absolutely terrible compared to some of the driving games that came out during or shortly afterwards.

Driver 1 has a mission where you chase and attempt to wreck a car that is basically on rails and plows through traffic like its mass is heavier than the sun. Every time you smash into it, it keeps going like nothing happened and your car takes considerably more damage. It's complete bullshit, and I never finished the game because that mission just might be impossible (it's timed, also). I'm partially convinced that Vice City was making fun of that mission when you have to outrace the nervous wheelman, because it has all the same problems.

Driver 2 had a much different feel, cars slide around too much and too many missions where you chase someone while they drop shit. Also almost unforgivably hard at times, plus the missions that you fail often have you go back to the start of the mission and make you do the easy but time-consuming bullshit over and over.

>> No.1301181

>>1301043

Except Runabout controls like shit. It's an interesting and very fast game, but I can't deal with its controls (I'm talking about the PS1 versions, didn't play the DC or PS2 games), I felt like I was playing Vanishing Point.

>> No.1301447

I like it just fine. I think it's a considerable improvement over the first.

>> No.1301670

>>1301043
>They have kind of an interesting mechanic where everything you damage or destroy has a dollar value and many of the missions revolve around doing more or less than a certain dollar amount of damage, and there are unlockable vehicles that can do a LOT of damage (tank) or very little damage (RC car)

That reminds me of Blast Corps

>> No.1301719

>>1301181
More like every other game controls too well. In Runabout a pickup truck is unwieldy like a pickup truck, not like a sports car. A tank handles like a tank and can definitely get hung up on the wrong terrain if you're not careful. The RC car zips around like a cockroach.

>> No.1301947

>>1301002
Damn, I haven't played Driver 2 in years.
Their maps look a lot smaller now.

Good memories thought.
Loved the Chicago ramp glitch.

>> No.1302006

>>1300634
Everyone I knew couldn't finish the tutorial mission

>> No.1302075

>The reason it's mostly forgotten is that GTA3 came out and did everything Driver did plus a lot more.

Even the main character from Driver (Tanner) makes an appearance in GTA3.

>> No.1302543

Loved driver 1. So when driver 2 came out I got its first thing for xmas.

I think there is no love because it came out around the time the PS2 came out. That PS2 launch turned the PS1 into a shovel ware system over night.

I liked the cars in Driver 2 better, but some of the levels arnt that desirable. I liked vegas and miami from Driver 1 better than chicago and havana in driver 2.

>> No.1305272

>>1302543
This. I remember that for me the main problem with Driver 2 was the level design. I never played it much simply because I hated the maps and the scenery, which were the strongest points in Driver 1.

>> No.1305282

I couldn't get past the starting mission in Driver 1.

>> No.1305305

>>1305282
>>1302006

Okay, man. OKAY OKAY OKAY

>> No.1305523

>>1305305
>>1305282
>>1302006

I am honestly curious about which one of those tasks gave people the most trouble(doing all of them in the time limit is another matter, IMO). My money's on brake test, since you sometimes get it without hearing the guy scream, and sometimes don't(which requires you to back up and try it again). Not saying this wasn't without its fair share of bullshit, but this is one of those things that led to hand-holding tutorials in future games, I'm sure.

My personal favorite moment in Driver was the setup job(the job is actually a trap by the cops). I actually waited for the cops at the top of the parking garage, and after a while, you see them flying out of the entrance like a catapult. I just sat there laughing for a while.

>> No.1305540

>>1305282
Haha,

I remember me and my friend tried the parking lot mission on-and-off for weeks.
It took us a while