[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 819 KB, 1000x696, Super_Mario_64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1281205 No.1281205[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What can be said about this game?

I feel like it was an incredibly important game, it laid a lot of groundwork for future titles, like Ocarina of Time and so on.

Mario 64 is incredibly creative, fun, and original. But, my god, it is an extremely rough game. I know there are many people that have mastered it, but I've always felt that the controls were difficult. The camera was okay, it was usable.

The level design ranges from brilliant to horrifyingly bad.

Going back and playing it now I have to call bullshit a lot on some of the choices, specifically the first ice world.

So many times you'll accidentally fall to your death before getting 8 red coins, etc. So many times I felt there should be guard rails in areas there weren't.

Anyway, can we discuss this gem? Love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm currently playing through it, never had it as a kid, but played it a lot at a friends house.

[spoilers] My 5 month old nephew died of SIDS today, trying to relax and enjoy some nostalgia playing games I'd have liked to have played with him. Spyro would have been a good choice.[/spoilers]

>> No.1281206

>>1281205

I guess I forgot how to spoiler, ooops.

>> No.1281232
File: 115 KB, 240x353, 1346204052254.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1281205
>So many times you'll accidentally fall to your death before getting 8 red coins
You did, I didn't have a problem with that part, it was easy.
>So many times I felt there should be guard rails in areas there weren't.
Git gud faget

>> No.1281265

>>1281205
sorry to hear about your cousin OP
anyways the game just feels sort of magical to me
ya know what I mean like I can't think of any game that has a similar feel
The game has it's problems but it's still good enough

>> No.1281280

>>1281265

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a bad game.

More like a masterpiece that struggled because it was the first of its kind.

There's so much Nintendo learned about game design from this that's apparent in Sunshine and Galaxy.

I would say it's pretty magical, something about the music that's very ambient. Kind of surreal.