[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 620x293, Metroid03--article_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1278737 No.1278737[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why have we been so conditioned to fight Kraid before Ridley in the original Metroid?

All of the guides encourage it, Zero Mission practically railroads you to do it, but why? It makes logical sense to fight Ridley first, since you are already in Norfair anyway, to the point where leaving it to backtrack back to Kraid is just a waste of time. And Ridley and his lair are considerably easier than Kraid, as well.

>> No.1278748

> And Ridley and his lair are considerably easier than Kraid, as well.
Really? I played it recently, I thought that Ridley's Lair was way harder than Kraid's lair.

I'm not really familiar with the map (Took some time to kind of get an image of where everything is in my head when I played it, mostly just judge things from reference points), so I don't know anything about travel time from one place to another.

>> No.1278756

I'm gonna play Metroid for the first time later. Well not the first time but it's gonna be the first time I play it to actually beat it.

How well does it hold up today?

>> No.1278764

>>1278756
Once you get into it, it's a blast. Make sure to keep track of where you are and your surroundings, it's easy to get lost as fuck. It's kind of a beast without a map, but once you get used to it it makes navigating a lot more satisfying (or annoying).

>> No.1278765

>>1278756
It's rough around the edges for sure, but it's still really enjoyable for what it is. You'd be forgiven for using a map though.

>> No.1278778

Kraid is much harder than Ridley, but his Lair is a joke by comparison.
Getting to Ridley is a chore.

>> No.1278892

>>1278737
>It makes logical sense to fight Ridley first, since you are already in Norfair anyway

but there's no reason to even enter Norfair before fighting Kraid.

>> No.1278904

cuz kraid has best music

>> No.1280301

>>1278892

Yeah, I'm not sure what this guy is talking about, bet It's been a few years since I played through this game.

>> No.1280360
File: 18 KB, 512x448, metroiddog.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always take on Ridley first. Get the high jump, the screw attack, and all those energy tanks and missile packs.

>> No.1280365

>>1278737
I don't know what your talking about. I always kill Ridley first. Its easier since you're in Norfair anyway to get the high jump, so you just pick up the wave beam go to ridley's lair and cheese him by standing under his platform and shooting him through the floor.
Its retarded NOT to do Ridley first.

>> No.1280373

All the best powerups and about half of all missile tanks are in Norfair, so it really makes the most sense to do Ridley first.

>> No.1280371

>>1278892
High Jump. And the game practically tells you to go there in the beginning considering the elevator is right next to your first set of missiles.

>> No.1280394

>>1280371
>High Jump.

Do you really need that before going into Kraid's lair?

>the game practically tells you to go there in the beginning

I just grabbed those missiles and went back. I tried going down that elevator, but it just lead down to a whole big area that seemed much harder than where I came from, so instead I went back to open all that doors I couldn't before. And the entrance to Kraid's lair is right by the beginning of the game, and the first thing I did after acquired the bombs was to head back there.

>> No.1280406

>>1280394
Well you don't need the high jump but it's cool to have. I do game like this:
>missile
>long beam
>bombs
>ice beam
>varia suit
>high jump
>screw attack
>dead ridley
>dead kraid
>dead mother brain

Oh and I get energy tanks and missiles along the way.

>> No.1280427

>>1280406
>missile
>long beam
>bombs
>ice beam
>varia suit

At this point you're as close to Kraid's lair as you are to Norfair. I was just wondering why people were saying that some serious backtracking is required to do Kraid first. I doubt anyone who does that goes to Norfair and then back. But high jump and and screw attack are nice, so your sequence makes sense.

>> No.1281913

>>1278737
>Zero Mission practically railroads you to do it

How so? I just started playing it, and after getting the bombs, the game tells you to go to Norfair. It's possible to go into Kraid's lair, though. Will I be unable to progress there at this point?

>> No.1281927
File: 119 KB, 1600x1200, 1387391336784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1278737
>All of the guides encourage it, Zero Mission practically railroads you to do it, but why?

THIS is why.

If you're gonna fucking quit the game at any time, here's where it's going to happen. Might as well attempt it before you bother with anything else in the fucking game because you're likely to never fucking play the thing again if you can't stick the wall.

>> No.1281948

>>1281927
Nah you can just kill yourself and start at the beginning of Kraid's laid.