[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 414 KB, 584x556, playing-nes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1261081 No.1261081[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

We all love video games. What started it?

What was the earliest game you can remember seeing or playing?

What was the first system and game(s) you owned? How did you like them?

>First game ever seen was one of the 8-bit Megamans on the computer in 1995
>Instantly entranced by the idea of controlling people on what I thought was the tv.

First system
>5 in 1997
>Babysat by this really nerdy black family
>Three brothers ages 9, 13, and 19
>Would let me watch and play as they would 100% Mario 64 and other games
>They move one day
>They wanted a Playstation and decided to give me their Super Nintendo
Along with Super Mario World, Mario All-Stars, LttP, Star Fox, Sword of Mana, and fucking Legend of Gaia
>All this god-tier vidya
>at 5

I didn't even know what to do with it all. I was only good at the Mario games until I got older.

>Christmas that year
>Get Megaman X
>Mother tells me that the eldest brother told her I would like it

I miss them so much.

>> No.1261087
File: 150 KB, 390x750, pac-man-arc-cabinet-6057[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>doing it right

>> No.1261117

One of my earliest memories is sitting on the floor in my brother's room, watching him play Mega Man 2. I remember he was on the purple Wily stage with the wall boss. So many memories playing NES with my brother: Contra, RC Pro-AM Racing, SMB 1&2, Adventure Island, etc. Too bad now he won't play anything pre-6th gen.

>> No.1261126

First game I ever played was Prince of Persia on the Apple. In glorious black and white. Circa 1990 or 1991. It was really cool at the time, though I don't really like that particular game anymore.

First I ever owned was a gameboy with Mario Land (great) and Top Gun (awful), Circa 1992.

I was born in 1985, so I guess I really got into vidya games when I was about 7.

>> No.1261127

>>1261081

First game I remember playing was Bubble Bobble.

First game I owned was Sonic the Hedgehog 2

>> No.1261128

Back in '93 I played my first video game system. It was a Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog. My dad was only borrowing it. Then I remember my dad going on a trip to Montana with our pastor and he brought me back an NES with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt and Megaman 1.

I put so many hours into that NES.

>> No.1261134

Kirby's Adventure on the NES was the earliest game I recall playing first

>> No.1261137

>>1261128
>Megaman 1
I like how even though your family was obviously poor your dad still knew what was good.

>> No.1261143
File: 23 KB, 477x330, happy piccolo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I was 4, my father's co-worker gave him an NES full of AWESOME, collector's games. I'm talking SMB 1-3, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Duck Tales, Double Dragon, Bubble Bobble, Donkey Kong Classics, Gyruss, TLOZ, Tiger-Heli, Zanac, Clash at Demonhead, Gyromite (with the arcade pad), Duck Hunt (with gun), just to name a few, so that I may play when I turn 5-6 years old.

I watched my dad play SMB 1 and 2. My god my dad loved SMB2. I remember watching him play it into the midnight hours.

And I loved playing Super Mario Bros 3. Loved it.

And that's where my love for video games started off.

It's unfortunate. Damien, the guy who gave my dad the NES and games, hasn't been in contact with my dad or any of his friends in about a decade. I hope he's good because if it wasn't for his gift, I don't know what or how I would be right now.

>> No.1261149
File: 138 KB, 800x670, 1366506796933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm pretty sure my parents owned a SNES with Super Mario All-Stars, though I wasn't that interested in it. They later bought a Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64 for me and they played it, too. We'd play together every now and then, figuring out how to get some of the stars. I clearly remember some stuff that happened when we were in Cool, Cool Mountain. One being that none of us could beat the penguin in the race. The second one was learning how to wall kick and me telling them that it was a useless move and wouldn't serve a purpose. Then the next star was called "Wall Kicks Will Work" and they were all "we told youuuu".

>> No.1261153

Playing / watching my older brother play Snoopy and the Red Baron on the 2600.

>> No.1261154
File: 194 KB, 960x762, 1384123622768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born in '89
>First played table top pac man at a pizza parlor with my grandpa
>Two neighbors on my block had SNES and NES
>First exposure to Street Fighter, DKC, Mario games
>Spend most of my days imagining video games
>Never got a console until '97, the N64 from my parents
>Bought first console with money I had earned, a PS1 after they dropped the price to 99$.

>> No.1261162

>>1261137
Yeah we were pretty poor. But it didn't stop my parents from making sure i had nice things.

>> No.1261165
File: 25 KB, 600x600, 1381452618555.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1261149
After that, they'd let me rent a different videogame every weekend. It was how I got to know all the Nintendo 64 goodies. A time came where I could never decide what to rent because I liked all of the games that were available. I forgot why they wouldn't actually buy me the games, though.

>> No.1261196
File: 610 KB, 600x450, yo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Richard Scarry's Busytown, Sega Genesis

cradle 2 tha grave nigga

>> No.1261207

>>1261196
That shit brings back memories.

>> No.1261239
File: 77 KB, 900x464, 1375796638020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be 4 years old
>parents buy a NES for themselves
>I got to play on it when they weren't
>Super Mario Bros., Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, and Dragon Warrior
>rented Mega Man games, Dragon Warrior 2 and 3, and Double Dragon II all the time
>later that year we got our first computer
>Amiga 500 and lots of "backup" floppies
>Turrican II, Star Control, F-15 Strike Eagle II, Silent Service II, Scorched Tanks

>> No.1261241

My first exposure to video games, that I remember, was our Sega Master System. Back then I wasn't even aware of Nintendo, just this weird and ugly little console that played these strange games. I think I saw Golvellius before Double Dragon, and back then I was always trying to get my sister to play Double Dragon with me because I couldn't do it alone. Most of the time I was a bit offset by them because I was young, bad at them, and didn't like to die. I also didn't know how to play a lot of them, like Miracle Warriors.

Looking back on it now, it wasn't a bad console, it was just that I didn't know any better. Unfortunately, later on my sister dropped it on the ground and somehow broke it forever, but by that point, I was more into DOS gaming, which I feel is when I really got into it.

>> No.1261253
File: 7 KB, 640x400, 2600pac.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>born in 80
>first memory of playing vidya was Pacman on familys 2600
>thought I was controlling the ghosts

>> No.1261259

Frogger on the Atari 2600

>> No.1261267

>>1261239
Why would they buy a console for themselves, that was marketed for children, when they had a child in the house?

>> No.1261294

>>1261196
oh damn I had some computer version.

Still remember the fucking THOK-THOK-THOK from when you had to nail the tiles to the roof or something.

>> No.1261295
File: 555 KB, 1098x1050, 1386650521269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1261267
My parents both had Atari 2600's when they were in high school. Basically, they had gotten enough spending money to buy a console around the time I was 4. They didn't buy it exclusively for themselves, but they did play it quite often and I'd liked to watch them play. My dad still plays Dragon Quest games and my mom still plays Legend of Zelda games.

>> No.1261307
File: 98 KB, 635x412, simpson design Italia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>born in 82
>first memory is playing Adventureland on the family VIC-20
>later my best friend got an NES
>all my 5-year-old rage at trying to land in Top Gun
>then getting to play Super Mario Bros. and having my little mind blown

>> No.1261318

>>1261267
They would rarely ever let me eat either. At least when I was playing Metroid i was in control.

>> No.1261329

My first console was when I lived in Argentina back in the mid nineties so it was a fake console that played pirated games. I remember playing the NES Saint Seiya game in Japanese without understanding shit, playing Galaga, and playing a Flintstones game. I had other games but I don't remember much else. My cousins had a legitimate Genesis though and I'd play that once in a while. When I moved to the US when I was 8, I inherited an SNES with Mario Land, SF2, and some other stuff. I eventually got ALttP, too. From there I got a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Blue and the rest is history.

>> No.1261332

>born in 1980

I remember being about 4 or 5 and playing a bunch of games that were popular at the time in an arcade. Pole Position was definitely one, I think there was Galaxians as well.

My first game system was an Atari 2600 which my dad bought for me second hand at a market stall. I didn't give the slightest fuck that it had already been obsolete for several years and would while away my time playing the likes of Superman and Enduro (still one of my all-time favourites) and that one where the dragon looks like a duck.

I remember a friend of mine had a Commodore 64 and that we would all gather around at his to play games, especially football (soccer) games like Emlyn Hughes' International Football.

Inspired by this, I bugged my parents to get me a 'proper' computer game system. My preference had been for a C64 like my friend's; but they got me a ZX Spectrum instead. Which was fine with me. It came with quite a few games, and I grew my collection until I had a good few hundred games for it. I kept playing it for years, even as I 'upgraded' and got better systems (Sega Megadrive, Amiga, Playstation, PC, N64, etc). The only reason I still don't use it is because I moved to the states and it won't work over here. Very fond memories of that; I have just about every game for it emulated.

Oh and I don't give any fucks that I'm almost 34 and still post on 4chan.

>> No.1261350

>>1261081
>Be some age I don't remember...i'm guessing 10 or something
>cool bro talks about Monkey Island and fucking Commandos, he's also a emulator junkie.
>Ask him for SNES roms, I had a snes but didn't play much. 3rd World Country where getting games is hard as fuck.
>He gives me a blue CD with, like, 50 roms.
>Fucking Chrono Trigger and Terranigma
>Life changed forever.

>> No.1261374

>>1261267
not that anon, but my parents had a 2600 in the early 80's and I have never seen either of them play a video game ever and I was too young to play than , so anyways, I just called my mom and asked her why they even had a 2600, she said they got it because it was the hot new thing and everyone had one and that she thinks they got it for real cheap.

>> No.1261375

>First game
I think it was Yoshi Story but there may have been some pirated games on floppy disk for Windows 3.1x before then. I seem to remember a whole heap of old games on floppy disk like Commander Keen.

>First system
N64, if PC doesn't count.

>> No.1261387

>>1261332
>Oh and I don't give any fucks that I'm almost 34 and still post on 4chan.
not so unusual outside of /b/ and /v/

>> No.1261415

>>1261332
>34 and on 4chan
Yeah, that's really not an issue outside of /b/ and sometimes /v/, but even they don't usually give a shit.

>> No.1261428
File: 44 KB, 256x310, 1386654049240.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be three or four
>parents get a computer so they can get on the 56K dial-up internets
>comes with monster truck madness
>played the fuck out of it
>some time later dad shows me an Atari emulator and Sim city
>don't give a shit about Sim city, play the fuck out of centipede
>be the next year
>get an atomic purple GBC for Christmas
>forget about the computer for a few weeks while I play the fuck out of F1 Race and R-Type DX
>computer gets upgraded/replaced at some point
>comes with a demo of Midtown Madenss
>play it almost exclusively until I finally get old enough to understand Sim city

I mostly played a limited selection of PC games until I got a PS2 when I was 12.
Some other memorable titles include Black & White, Lionel Train Town and one of the Incredible Machine games, although I can't quite remember how they fit into what I've recounted here.

>> No.1261440

>>1261415
It's an issue on other boards too; I don't frequent that shit. I just came here for the first time today.

>> No.1261452

I barely remember it. I might have been 5 or 6 at the time.

My uncle and grandma live together (she has/had many disabilities, and he was her caregiver)

One day, some guy at work manages to talk uncle into buying a PS1. He buys it, and plays it for a while.

Some other guy talks him into buying Metal gear solid for the PS1. He buys it, only plays it a little.

One day decides to let me play it, because why not.

i spent just hours on it, never really progressing. i got passed the elevator, and up to the very first boss fight. Never could get past the boss fight.

That was my first video game.

You would be proud to know that a few years later i picked up the game again, and successfully beat it. It is still one of my favorite games, and I actually speed run the game now, although i've never actually gotten close to a world record. I must have beaten it close to 100 times.

>> No.1261451

emulating pokemon on my g`old 486
charmilion kid was my favorite game before i met megaman

>> No.1261465

I don't remember the first game I ever played, but I do remember my first time playing a video game was on my dad's SNES, probably sometime between 94 and 96. I would have been somewhere from 4 to 6 at the time. Anyway, I played the shit out of that thing. I didn't get my own video game system until my uncle bought me my own SNES for christmas one year, the Killer Instinct bundle.

>tfw i don't have the fucking box

also i remember this shitty robocop game my dad had, my god it was awful

>> No.1261512

At 3 in 1990

Mario bros 1,i've even finished the game at this age, no joke my big brother always remember me it.

>> No.1261525

>>1261307
>>all my 5-year-old rage at trying to land in Top Gun
born in 86 but we still had top gun, and I still don't think I ever landed on anything but the first or second aircraft carrier

>> No.1261541
File: 35 KB, 500x333, Kai_Shiden_coffee_mug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1261307
>>1261525
>mfw I had Top Gun: The Second Mission growing up and it was actually a good game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5DWpT09OHgM#t=76

>> No.1261572

>>1261415
Being older than 15 is an issue on /b/.

>> No.1261601

>>1261572
Or any egde-culture board like v and r9k

>> No.1261609

My parents had an atari 2600 they kept hooked up to an old black and white tv in our basement. I remember being three or four sitting on my dad knee playing pac man, pong, megamania. Ah shit anyone else remember megamania. I played the shit out of that thing till it got fried. It blew my mind the first time I saw someone playing nes. Not because of the graphic but because I thought all video games were in black and white since that was the only tv the atari was ever hooked up to.

I was born in 1990 mind you, so yea I had a confusing childhood

>> No.1261613
File: 11 KB, 512x384, alexkidd06.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Alex the Kidd in Miracle World

>> No.1261632
File: 29 KB, 323x384, saddam-hussein.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1261081
My start was from something kind of frightening.

My father was in the army reserves. Back in the early nineties, he was sure that he was going to be called into the first Iraq war, and bought an NES for myself and my siblings against my mother's wishes, because he though he'd be killed in the conflict. He was never called, and as a result, I became a gamer nerd. Thanks, Saddam!

>> No.1261638

>>1261329
Go to bed, Justin.

>> No.1261663

>>1261638
Wrong. Try again.

>> No.1261670

>>1261663
Go to bed anyway....it's late

>> No.1261671

I remember when I was three years old, I had an NES with Super Mario Bros 1/3, Duck Hunt, and Final Fantasy. I played them all, even though I didn't understand Final Fantasy at all.

I used to be in all sorts of activities (Sports, 4H, boy scouts, etc.), but after I hit puberty, I started to drop out of them one by one until I was still forced to be in scouts so I wouldn't lose contact with the whole world out of school. I just loved playing video games more than any of those, and it irked my parents to no end. They'd always say they wish they never got one that NES for me way back when.

I guess they were right, I became a mini-NEET for a short time during college while playing video games for 12 hours a day and sleeping the other 12. Worst part was, I wasn't even enjoying myself, just had to keep playing because there was nothing else. Thankfully, after getting a job again, video games are now fun since I can't play them all day. Funny how that works.

>> No.1261697

My brother was the gamer before me, and he made sure that I had exposure to games when I was a toddler. I was holding a controller as Tails about as early as I could hold anything, and by the time I was 6 I was regularly playing both Genesis and SNES games. I got my first system around the same time, a Game Boy Pocket with The Jungle Book. I quickly ditched that ass game and swiped my bro's Mario Land 2, which along with Sonic 3&K and Mario World were the first platformers I played. I grew into my own choices with N64, Gamecube, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance.

I was born in '91, and started around 2 or 3 years old.

>> No.1261705

>>1261613
I remember being 12 and the Master System II was on sale with this game built in. Being horrendously poor, I couldn't actually afford any other games for a while so I just played this over and over. It was fun.

>> No.1261710
File: 86 KB, 640x480, 1384474025376.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born '91
>First game played: Gear Works on GBP
>First game owned: Sonic 2 on GameGear
>tfw handheldbabby
>First console played: SNES with DKC/SMW
>First console owned: N64 with SuMari64
>Favorite console now: Sega DC
>Favorite game now: Super Ghouls N Ghost

Thats me, nigs. Feel free to call me a shitty 90's kid. I am sorry I was born too late

>> No.1261729

>>1261705
This was my intro to gaming too - the Master System II. Still my favourite now and caused me to be a "Sega kid" up until I was old enough to buy other consoles....

>> No.1261750

The first game I ever saw was an old arcade shmup at the early '80s while I was traveling with a ship with my family. One of the first games I actually played was Ms Pac Man. I remember that a mother with her brat was bitching for waiting, like I was playing for free for something. Stupid bitch. Wait in your turn. I pay to play. If you don't like it, GFTO!

>> No.1261757

>Feel free to call me a shitty 90's kid. I am sorry I was born too late
And what's the problem being born in '91? At least you have good taste in video games.

>> No.1261759

>>1261632
Good thing your father was never called at the war.

>> No.1261767
File: 117 KB, 1440x1184, 1386670320618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mid-80's. Our dentist had a big Space Invaders cabinet (like the one pic related) in their waiting room. It was me, my brother, and sister, and we all wanted to be the last one to see the dentist so we could keep playing.

>> No.1261772
File: 34 KB, 260x200, 1938608299_terminator2v.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was born in '88. First games I played were golden axe, and mortal kombat 2 at this tiny local arcade with like maybe 5 or 6 cabinets. I was 5 or 6 years old maybe. Also i remember playing some turtles co-op arcade game with my dad. I remember my dad bought a bunch of coins and we got pretty far into that game. A few years later I got my first console. It was a hardware clone of NES called Terminator. Real Nintendo and Sega consoles were really expensive where I live (in Serbia) so almost everybody had hardware clones with pirated cartriges.

>> No.1261781

First game - Asteroids Gameboy.

First console game I was insanely interested in was Wiz and Liz for Megadrive / Genesis.

>> No.1261784
File: 22 KB, 400x300, 1386671219983.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

moon patrol was the first videogame i played on an arcade machine, i especially loved how the wheels moved according to the terrain.
cant remember if i had my
first gaming device before i played teh arcade machines or after.
this submarine lcd game in the pic was teh first gaming device i owned i hade a few other ones and eventually upgraded to nintendo's game & watch, i liked donkey kong and rainshower the most, i still own these two today.
first pc game was i of th ebeholder on my dads homeoffice pc.
first real system was the amstrad schneider cpc, something like a c64.
fisrt console was the n54, bought it when i was about 18 and mario 64 was just released.

>> No.1261785

>Born in '94
>Only a Pegasus (which is like a Soviet NES) with a 100n1 cardridge including Contra, Balloon Fight, Galaga, Galaxian, and a few standalones such as SMB and Antarctic Adventure (never had any other console)
>and a PC full of cracked DOS games like Skyroads, Supaplex, and Doom - played them simultaneously
>"Beat" Doom and Douk at like 5-6 with God mode and weapons cheats of course
>Dad taught me to play Civilization on training wheels by giving me access to full techs and summoning two tanks for scouting
>Watching brothers play Monkey Island with a dictionary had me take their steps; games such as these ended up teaching me English
>Coming of age I revisited them and beat them properly

>> No.1262131

>>1261710
Is 'le wrong generation' applicable to video games as well as music now?

I seriously hope not.

>> No.1262157

The first home console game I remember playing is Zelda 2.

>> No.1262185

>>1261609
Megamania is fucking amazing.

>> No.1262389

I remember my dad playing Super Mario Bros. 3 on my older brother NES when I was 3. He was actually pretty decent at it and would let me play unlike my other brothers. Of course I would fuck everything up in less than 10 seconds but I had fun regardless.

Two years later, he and mom gifted me and my brothers a game each for the SNES, I chose Donkey Kong Country just because >gorillas so awesome and then the obsession started.

My dad hasn't played videogames in more than a decade now, I wish we had more in common given he's a pretty cool dude but we seldom do anything together.

>> No.1262467

When my family got a Sega Genesis in the early '90s. I must have been four at the time.

Earliest game? Probably the original Sonic.

Then in first grade, I found myself in my school's aftercare program. You could pick a different thing each day that you wanted to do, but I almost always chose the same thing. I can't remember what it was called, but essentially we got put in a room with an NES (and maybe also a SNES). Most of the actual playing was done by the student teachers, while we watched them in wonder. The games I remember most from that time are SMB3, Duck Hunt, and Excite Bike.

Then, two years later, I received a Game Boy Pocket. It came bundled with Donkey Kong Land II. I played the hell out of that game, and then Pokemon Blue.

Then sometime a little bit after that, my family got a PS1 and that was really the beginning of the end.

>> No.1262473
File: 9 KB, 251x246, 1386702579400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1262389
>My dad hasn't played videogames in more than a decade now

Dammit man. This. I'm >>1261143
and my dad hasn't played a game since SMB2.

He will sometimes still talk about how he had 80-something lives, and he lost them all. Damn, good memories of watching my dad play.

>> No.1262545

>>1261154
dat 959 poster

>> No.1262547

Born in '92

Around 6, would go over to grandparents house for family events and sneak upstairs to play Chip's Challenge.

Never got past that level with the giant amounts of ice and the castle (not too far into the game).

>> No.1262850
File: 32 KB, 420x496, 217-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born
>Earliest memory
At a friends house, I must've been 3-4. His older brother had a mega drive and altered beast. We co-oped but I didn't get what to do or what was happening.
>First system and games
I remember that we got our first PC in 97-98, had Win95 on it and a DOS game called Big Red Racing. My first console I got 1999 and it was the Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64.

>> No.1262894

>>1262850
I have that game running on DOSbox on my desktop.
>nostalgia levels too damn high

>> No.1262904

I think it was this game. This is the earliest game I can remember. Venture for the Atari 2600. This game used to scare me a lot, when the evil guy appears in any room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9HumReGLjI&hd=1

Bunch of other Atari 2600 games that I have no clue about also. Super Mario Bros was of course the game I can remember most as being my first.

>> No.1262927
File: 16 KB, 256x240, contra_credits[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First games i remember playing were a bunch of NES ones.

I had 4-5 years and i got a NES (Don't remember if it was for birthday). By that time the SNES was the common console, but where i lived the previous system was still big.

One Chirstmas i got as a gift Konami's Batman Returns. I can't remember how much i played that.
The very first game i played was Contra. I would Co-op through it with my dad. I even remember the first time i finished it; my father was sleeping that afternoon after a night shift and i woke him up. He said "Shit, great work!" and went back to bed while the credits rolled on the screen.
Played Tetris, Excitebike and Nintendo's Baseball with my mom. She really loved the music of the first one back then.
I got into emulators and FPS games by my dad at the age of 7. Endless afternoons filled with Alien Soldier, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Golden Axe and Quake were there.
Years later i would play Contra 3 with my cousin on his SNES

>> No.1262954

>>1261081
>born '93
>first console SNES
>can't remember when we got it
>certain my first game I played was Mario Kart for SNES
>other games: Mario All Star, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Yoshi Cookie, Super Mario World
>When we got a PS1 we kept our SNES at my grandmothers so me and my brother had something to do when we visited.
>Fondest memories are of me and my grandmother playing super mario kart together.

>> No.1263036

>>1261196

FUUUUUUUUUUU. had the pc version.

>> No.1263042

Kanye's 808s will age better than any of his earlier albums over the next ten years, but probably not as well as anything he did after (apart from WTT and CS which won't really be that significant)

>> No.1263048

>born in 91
>oldest memory is playing SMB3 with my big brother on the NES

When I was born, my whole family was into vidya, so it's natural that I ended up liking it, too.

>> No.1263049

>>1263042
Anon, you need more practice operating your internet browsing device. Ahoy hoy.

>> No.1263130
File: 2.97 MB, 240x216, damnodmg.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember I liked Leonardo the most, spammed attack ALL the time, even when there were no enemies around, and made it to Beebop after an hour or two, and didn't make it further.

>> No.1265838

>Born in 1993
>when i was about about 4 my older brothers came home with a famicom
>they called video games just "videos"
>they were playing SMB3
>I was hipnotized, thinking something like "WOAH they can control the cartoons"
>couldn't get video games out of my mind since then
>years later they got a genesis and a Playstation
and that was my ruin

>> No.1265984

My brother is about 7 years older than me. I remember still being in diapers watching him play Zelda II He actually didn't follow vidya anymore after the SNES came out, and he beat Zelda II when he was like 9. I've still never been able to beat it, I'm kind of irritated since he isn't even a "real" gamer

First game I probably actually played was either Little Nemo or SMB2

>> No.1266119

I believe it was some Sesame Street educational software for the TRS-80. It loaded off of cassette tapes. Shit was so fucking cash.

>> No.1266141
File: 154 KB, 789x1024, img058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first game I ever played was one of the three Sesame Street games for the 2600, most likely either the Cookie Monster one or the Big Bird one... I was probably around 3.

Around that time I also played Outlaw, but usually just mode 3 (which was just shooting through an obstacle) since the other two modes were too hard.

>> No.1266159

It's a tale as old as time.

I had no friends and I'm pretty sure I have legit Asperger's syndrome.

Nothing really changed.

>> No.1266228

Earliest memory of video games is me with my dad playing mario bros 3. But I know we also had (among other games forgotten over time) bump n' jump, rygar, zelda (1), gun smoke, sky shark, star tropics, mario bros, super mario+duck hunt, shooting range, and some volleyball game that I dont know the name of.

I was between 4 and 6 years old, (97-ish).
then around 98-99 I got a genesis with sonic 2, mortal kombat, and altered beast (thats all I can remember at least).
Not long afterwards (a few days in my memory, but was more likely a few months) I got them both taken away (long story). and I went about a year with only a PC, untill my parents gave me a gameboy color.
Most of my childhood was done PC gaming with stuff like Age of Empires and Army Men. actually all I really ever did was play RTS games. I'd spend hours building massive armies in the editor, and then watch as everything caught fire and died.

Didnt have another console untill the xbox came out, my dad got one from his work as an xmas gift. though now I've got almost every /vr/ system, and with the falling price of 6th and 7th gen, I'm starting to amass those too.

>> No.1266256

>>1261081
>Born in '88
>first system is SNES, parents bought me for my 5th birthday
>Also received Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, and Final Fantasy II (which is the first video game I remember playing)
>Been in love with gaming ever since

My cousins bought a Genesis about a year later, with which we played all the Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes, and Phantasy Star II-IV like crazy.

>> No.1266260

...Pong.

SO OLD

>> No.1266265

>tfw you're born in 95 and your first console was non-/vr/ Gamecube

First game I ever got was Hot Wheels Track Driver for W98. In fact, I'm looking at the game right now. Somehow it survived all this time.

First time I remember playing video games was playing Halo CE, GTA III, Midnight Club, shit from the real early 00's.

>> No.1266270

>>1266265
holy shit I have that game.

I remember having some sort of edutainment related game that came with it, my dad would print up these papercraft pieces in the game, and glue them onto wood blocks he cut into shape for me.
I still have the car that came with it too.

>> No.1266271

>>1266270
Oh shit I don't know if I have the car. Dammit, now I gotta go find it.

>> No.1266273

>What was the earliest game you can remember seeing or playing?
In 1986 I was 6 years old. My friend at the time had a big brother who owned a Commodore 64. He used it to demonstrate Rambo: First Blood part II to me. Games like Commando, Green Beret, Airborne Ranger, Nemesis the Warlock and The Last Ninja later followed. That was the 1st contact, unfortunately at 6 yrs old I was too young to know how to operate the C64 on my own and had to rely on somebody else to load the games for me, so my gaming time was rather limited.

>What was the first system and game(s) you owned? How did you like them?
My very first own system was the original monochrome Gameboy that was bought to me as a Xmas present in 1990. It came with Tetris, and over the years I bought and played Super Mario Land, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2, Ducktales, Wizards and Warriors and some Turtles-game on it. Also, some loaned games I no longer remember. Never got into Pokemon, thank God. I still have the Gameboy in question, but it's in miserable condition and doesn't work anymore. Suffice to say, it served me well and died a warrior's death. Most games were satisfying, I don't regret owning the GB.

I have since also owned a NES, several gaming PCs ranging from 386s to modern quad cores, a Playstation and a PS2. The PS2 was to be my last console. I dropped out after that, because the 7th generation consoles felt dissatisfying, and I'm starting to be old and losing interest slowly.

>> No.1266274

born 1981
pac man for atari 5200
also the sesame street game for atari 2600

>> No.1266280
File: 4 KB, 320x210, BigBird'sEggCatch2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1266274
here's a pic of it

>> No.1266321

>>1266273
>Never got into Pokemon, thank God.
whats wrong with pokemon?
I can understand some of the modern games, but R/B/Y? really?

>> No.1266361

>>1266321
Pokemon just wasn't my style of gameplay. I don't enjoy grinding very much, and the icky creature designs annoyed me. And then there was the whole marketing strategy: You had to buy both games to get the full package.

>> No.1266391

>What was the earliest game you can remember seeing or playing?

Probably tabletop Space Invaders the the late 70's in the pub with my dad (I would have been around 4yo).

>First System
Christmas day 1986 mum and dad had bought me a brand new Spectrum 128.
I spent the rest of the comming days playing Amsoft games, Like Oh Mummy, Disco Dan, Treasure Island and learning a little Basic.

The first two games I ever bought out of the probably hundreds and hundreds i've bought over the years were Kings Keep and Thrust

good times

>> No.1266521

Late 80s. Back when my family used to all live in the same apartment complex, I watched my uncle play through a dungeon from Legend of Zelda on one of those old big screen TVs. The music haunts me to this day.

Soon later, I got my first NES system for Christmas. The typical SMB/Duck Hunt combo set. Eventually I got my own copy of LoZ, and my uncle and I would compete over progress in the game. To this day, he still cusses me out over passing him in Adventure of Link.

>> No.1266538

Super Mario World on the SNES. Both of my older cousins had it (I must have been 5) and played it all the time. I remember watching them play and one of them didn't make a jump and they fell in a bottomless pit and that's it, a little jingle played and the screen went black. I don't know why, but for some reason this depiction of death scared the fuck out of me. They just fell out of the screen and its over. I didn't even care that you could get more lives, its just seemed extremely harsh. They asked me if I wanted to try it and I refused because I "didn't want to die." It took watching my cousin play the Aladdin game to get over it. He went to the level with all the swinging poles (I think its the rooftops) and swung back and forth from pole to pole over a bottomless pit, yelling "wooo!" and making light of the situation. When he died he was like "Oh darn!" and didn't take it seriously. I asked him if hes going to keep playing normally and he said "Nope!" and did it again getting progressively more wacky until we were both laughing. Maybe not the most exciting story, but he helped me get over my fear of failure. It takes some kind of compassion and understanding for a child to decide to help an other child achieve personal growth. I'm glad videogames had some part in it too.

Also Gameboy Pocket was my first system other than NES. I got an NES when kids were getting N64s. Played Gyromite and Megaman 6 and Excite Bike and Ninja Gaiden a lot. Also Mario and Duckhunt.

>> No.1266540

>>1266321

Yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with the most broken, boring and lackluster extra content in the entire series!

>> No.1267173
File: 215 KB, 2048x1536, Master_System_II[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first videogame I remember seeing was an Alex Kidd game for the SMS, which was built into it. I'm fairly certain the first game I ever played was Super Mario Land for the gameboy, when my uncle handed over the gameboy to me for a few minutes. At the time I didn't grasp much of anything and just ran into the first goomba repeatedly.

That Master System died when my dad thought it would be a great idea to loan it to one of his friends. Dad's friend's daughter somehow spilled yogurt all inside the cartridge slot and the Master System was discarded.

>> No.1267180

>>1266391
>learning a little Basic

10 PRINT "I am awesome"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

>> No.1267189

My dad taught me how to type the dos prompt to load Doom in 93. He'd turn on god mode for me and point out where to go for secrets.

A year later he saw snes and the bundle of donkey kong / super mario world and got it for myself and my brothers. He played all christmas break with us and really cemented gaming into our systems at that time.

Every year since the snes; if a new console comes out you can guarantee you'll find one under the tree that year.

We'll probably be given an xbone since ps4 is sold out everywhere, but I absolutely cannot complain about free consoles.

>> No.1267220
File: 29 KB, 715x422, :3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1267189
>learning to read in the Doom menus

>> No.1267232

>>1266361
That put me off Pokemon for a long time. That and the fact that they made it virtually impossible to ever fully complete the game (ie catch all the Pokemon) without cheating, even with both versions and every previous version. Netplay has made that somewhat easier in recent versions but you still can't get a lot of stuff.

But I do recall picking up a Gameboy Color for myself, with a free copy of Pokemon Crystal. Still my favourite version.

>> No.1267238
File: 334 KB, 1080x1920, 1385592359554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not entirely sure, my brother told me the first game I played was The Lion King for the Mega Drive.

Some of the earliest memories I can think of are watching my brothers play with their GameBoys, especially Pokémon, oh, and the Dreamcast.

The first system I owned by gift, was a special edition Pikachu GameBoy Color, I think the first game I think I beat was Pokémon Gold in 2000 or so. It was a pretty simple game, just press A to win. Other games was stuff like Super Mario Land 1 and 2, Small Soldiers, Wave Race, and Monkey Puncher.

As for the Dreamcast, I remember tons of it, I watched my brothers play Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, MSR and Chu Chu Rocket, as well as once staying up all night to play MSR, Quake 3, Sonic and a bunch more (haven't done that in a while).

I like to think that night turned me into who I am today.

>> No.1267261

my earliest memories are playing spy hunter on an MSX computer in primary school.
Another memory is playing Zelda 2 and Digger T Rock in the NES at a kid in the neighborhood.
My first owned console and game is a SNES with Star Wing.

>> No.1267290
File: 159 KB, 1093x751, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1267180
Made in basic just for you

>> No.1267325

>Born 1995
>brother had me playing super mario world 3 at toddle age
>couldnt so it, he was dissapointed as fuck
>brother was a fucking asshole all my life
>got first dibs on everything and made up every reason why
>all i had was a nomad, gameboy advance, and pc when growing up
>nomad was sold
>played ecco the dolphin, boogerman, beavis and butthead, xmen, fuckin clayfighter, earthworm jim
>those memories of playing late levels of earthworm jim way past bedtime on the bottom bunk
>got grounded from everything constantly for shit my brother did
>got abandoned at age 14
>parents dead, brother insane
>i finally have disposable income for the first time in my life

My foster dad gave me a few snes games, and lets me buy from people on craigslist because im a goody two shoes so he does alot for me.

Ive been feeling actual nostalgia playing some of these games, not just "oh i remember" nostalgia

>> No.1267397
File: 28 KB, 263x192, 1386875084866.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1267325
Oh, also
>mom just sold all my games
>but i have my own room now so thats cool
>rich kid at school is cool as hell and gives me a gba sp, pkmn emerald, and final fantasy tactics
>somehow my dumbass middle school brain trusts my brother and tells him
>he wants to play final fantasy tactics because i "always" get to play it.
>he has a gamecube, a ps1, a laptop, satellite tv, and the entire bottom half of the house
>i tell him i just want to play it tonight and ill leave it for him when i go to school
>in the middle of playing ff tactics
>mom, dad, and brother come into my room at midnight
>CONTRABAND CHECK MOTHERFUCKER
>Brother's directing them to all my normal hiding spots
>i kick it down to my toes
>they pull my sheets down and dont find it
>brother is fucking pissed
>it was never found
>i ended up losing the sp because i hugged my mom one morning and she felt it in my jacket pocket
>beat the ever living shit out of me with a sock full of soap
>put me in a mental hospital so nobody would believe me

>> No.1267414

The earliest thing I remember was playing Adventure Island at a neighbor's house with my sister. I have no idea who those people were or why I was at their place.

I have no idea how I began. I wish I did though.

>> No.1267417

Born in 87. Literally cannot remember not having access to a NES. Played so many games.

Had a pc since like 3rd or 4th grade. Lots of sharware dos games.

second console I ever owned was a playstation. Got an original one through the classifieds around the time the dual shock one came out. Played it until it broke then got a dual shock with the parallel port. Picked up alot of the retro consoles during this time at yardsales and places.

Got an upgraded comp and the internet around middleschool. Didn't get any other systems until college when I got a friends ps2 since he got the,metal gear ps3. I have a ps3 now and it will be my last console. It broke on me. I plan on picking up a used one come January to finish the games I have but haven't beaten and to play gta 5. But im not going to play anymore after that. I get as much fun from older games as I do new ones and I don't have any time left for gaming anymore.

>> No.1267670
File: 24 KB, 256x357, River_Raid_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born '86
>House already had an Atari 2600 with motherfucking River Raid
>The rest is history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYLA_uO-XH0

Such a great game.

>> No.1267679

>>1267670
*the guy playing fucking sucks

>> No.1267698

>>1267670
>>1267679
*Here's a nicer representation