[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 19 KB, 400x300, 1386557522506.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1258202 No.1258202[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Why don't controllers have concave face buttons any more?
Seriously, you're thumb just naturally sockets into the center and allows you to press down on a large percentage of the button, even from an angle. Flat buttons like on the Playstation and GBC are OK, but dome buttons like on the Xbox just feel like you're fighting against them the whole time.
Seriously, Why the fuck did those dome buttons become dominant?

>> No.1258231

I hate concave buttons. Always had blisters after some intense action.

>> No.1258229

>>1258202

Because reasons and product testing.

>> No.1258232

>>1258202
I personally like the feel of dome buttons better

>> No.1258241

Because the average "gamer" is a dudebro retard now who has no idea about anything other than putting their credit card in and paying to play online and unlock all them sweet DLCs. I honestly feel that XBox killed gaming, it had a promising start but MS changed the gaming landscape into what it is today.

>> No.1258243

>>1258241
What a silly and irrelevant rant that has nothing to do with the thread at hand!

>> No.1258251

>>1258241

Not that I disagree with you, but.. I can't see the connection between this and concave buttons.

>> No.1258285

>>1258251
Whoever had the stupid idea to make them with convex buttons was obviously some retard corporate suit at MS who never even played games. There's nothing nicer than the feel of a concave button on an arcade machine or game controller, they catch your thumb perfectly so you know you won't be slipping off the button. It was just a completely stupid fucking idea that was obviously implemented by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

>> No.1258296

>>1258285
>Whoever had the stupid idea to make them with convex buttons was obviously some retard corporate suit at MS who never even played games.

I guess we can also blame that "suit" for the convex buttons on the SNES.

Keep ranting like a retard, though. It's funny as hell.

>> No.1258307

>>1258296
First of all 2 buttons were concave, secondly they are so where near as bad as the bubble XBox buttons. Keep acting like a pretentious faggot on the internet, though. It's funny as hell.

>> No.1258314

>>1258307
>pretentious

You want to try that again maybe?

>> No.1258328

>>1258296
The 2 concave buttons on the SNES are the main reason I use a 3rd party controller

>> No.1258336 [DELETED] 

>>1258314
>>>/b/
Go hang out with the other edgy teenagers.

>> No.1258346

>>1258328
>He doesn't have a Super Famicom controller!

>> No.1258347

>>1258202
I'm pretty sure there are reasons for that... which I probably will never understand.

Now that I think about it, I happened to simply accept it and never really cared about it, but I did liked the feeling of concave buttons more than dome.

>> No.1258429

>>1258202
Because some people play games for more than 30 minutes as a time.

>> No.1258436
File: 55 KB, 500x303, SFC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1258307
You do know the SNES controller only had concave buttons on the US version right?

>> No.1258491

The problem is one of spacing - I love the concave buttons on the Genesis/Saturn controller because I can actually trigger an adjacent button using my thumb without having to let go of the one I'm on already. Also, that and arcade buttons were never as deep concave wise as the snes.

>> No.1258627

>>1258436
snes in america has two concave and two convex. I personally only use concaves, even now on my arcade sticks for modern fighters I require a happ bat style stick with tight springs and happ cherry switch buttons. I hate those mushy jap convex buttons and those tiny balltop floppy spring sticks for manlet sized hands. The Japanese must have negative hand strength.

>> No.1258654
File: 1.73 MB, 239x240, 1384347097384.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw I was literally just holding one of these Rhino brand SNES controllers an hour ago saying to my wife "check out this crappy off brand player 2 controller that came with that 1chip SNES lot I bought.

>> No.1258686

Someone please explain to me the appeal of concave. I always preferred dome because concave buttons dig in to your thumb.

>> No.1258883

>>1258202
Here's a technical answer for you.
Concave face on a button also means a "sharper" button edge, and this would cause problems, here's why...
Controllers are designed for millions of people, from kids, to adults.
Everyone has a different hand(big, medium, small), with different fingers(long, short, thick, thin).
While some people's hands/fingers(thumb primarily) would feel comfortable in the way you described(the thumb just naturally sockets into the center and allows you to press down on a large percentage of the button), some other people might use different position(as example. some people move the entire thumb on top of the other buttons to press them, others just "roll" it towards the other buttons.) If all buttons had concave faces it would create stress on the fingertips, regarding on how one press the buttons(the "sharper" edges can cause small pain when the buttons are pressed, hurting the finger's muscles on a long run)...how to avoid this?
Dome buttons!(im calling them as you did, so you can understand better..and actually, Playstation and GBC buttons are dome ones too, simply less curved)
Dome buttons have a "sphere feel" on them.
You might wonder what i mean by "sphere feel"...it doesnt matter how or with what part of your hand/finger you touch a sphere, it feels the same everywhere, with no "sharper" edges anywhere, hence causing no stress to the finger.
What all this means? It measn that dome buttons(hence with a "shpere feel") can be pressed without any stress for the fingers by anyone, regardless of age and hand's size, cuz it doesnt matter if you move your entire thumb over the buttons or you simply "roll" it on them, it would always feel the same for the finger.

Also, apply this entire concept on any rant you feel like having on something you don't like: it doesnt have to please you and your tastes, it has to please millions of different people with different tastes.

>> No.1258909

>>1258654
>Rhino
>Crappy

I will end you. That shit was my GOAT SNES controller.

>> No.1258920

>>1258909
INTO THE TRASH IT GOES

>> No.1258926

>>1258920

I'll put YOU in the trash.

>> No.1258961

>>1258926
LoL okay okay I looked at it again and I have this to say about it.

In its defense, it does seem quite rugged. Probably even more so than a regular SNES controller although all these slider switches would be its weak spot. It has slider switches on the front, top and even the back (slow motion switch). Any one of those switches getting really smashed could disable the corresponding button. They probably did think of this since the one on the back is pretty flush, the ones on the front only stick out as high as the raised daises the D pad and buttons are on and even the ones on top for the shoulder buttons are pretty close to the cord, which has a stiff grommet.

The D-Pad isn't bad, but not as good as a real SNES controller. Shoulder buttons seem nice and clicky, with little bumps on them for traction. Feels different but whatever.

Now, the point of this whole thread is the concave buttons. Yes, all four of the face buttons are concave but they're not VERY concave. The concave ones on a real SNES controller are much deeper. What's worse is that these buttons are definitely SMALLER than real SNES buttons and that's just straight unacceptable.

>> No.1258968

>>1258883
all the interwebz 2 u

>> No.1259257

>>1258654
>Wife

>> No.1259984

Concave buttons are easy and comfortable to press, it's like you can't even feel the button itself. However, that quality works against the input device in the context of controllers.

Convex buttons provide better tactile feedback. Since controller switches provide next to none by themselves, they need convex buttons to make up for it.

>> No.1260440

>>1259257
Hi, welcome to /vr/.

Actually, I take that back, you're not welcome.
>>>/v/