[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 790 KB, 1018x1018, Zelda-Oracle-of-Ages.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1257279 No.1257279[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/ I need your opinion. Which should I buy first, Oracle of Ages, or Oracle of Seasons? I'll eventually get to playing them both, but I only have enough to get one for now. Which should I play first?

>> No.1257286

Seasons, because I got it as a kid. Bam.

>> No.1257285

>Not buying the first one

Seasons you derp. ages is a sequel, not an alt. version.

>> No.1257290

it doesn't matter. I like Season more, so I'd rec. playing Ages first, but it really doesn't matter. people say Seasons is better if you like action and Ages is better if you like puzzles, but I love the puzzles in Zelda and still prefer Seasons so.....

>> No.1257292

>>1257286
>I got it as a kid
Solid reasoning, ya got me

>> No.1257310

Another question is should I buy the 3DS virtual console version, or an actual version for the game boy color. Can I link them and get the actual ending and shit on the 3ds version?

>> No.1257346

>>1257310
Go ahead and get the virtual versions.
To get the real ending you just have to put in a password you get at the end of the other game. I just don't know if you'll be able to get in to the Advance Shop to get the Seasons Ring and Ages Ring.

If you see the actual games, you should get them.

>> No.1257357

>>1257286
You should buy both of them, because I got both of them for xmas as a kid.

>>1257310
They dont' actually link up, you get a password at the end that you enter when you start a new game on the other version.
So with that in mind, it doesn't really matter, the game itself is exactly the same.
Although I heard there's some extra shit if you play them using a GBA, so you should keep that in mind in guess.

I'm slightly biased since one was lost in my dads car for ages. guess which one that was.
>see what I did there.
I like the story and atmosphere of ages more, but the gameplay of seasons is slightly better.
So get ages if you want an experience, and ages if you want something more action-y

>> No.1257361

Ages. Playing seasons first results in you enjoying it immensely, then you play ages, and have this huge disappointment of an experience.

>> No.1257446

>>1257285
>ages is a sequel
do you even zelda?
>>1257361
this

>> No.1258579
File: 23 KB, 716x556, 1385427327456.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't get Ages. Skip it and just have someone give you the code for the ending.

The linking is just for ring transfering. Everything else works via codes. So don't worry about it. Although there is a ring called the GBA Ring connected to the shop in the main cities of both games that is virtually inaccessible (see wut I did there) in the 3DS versions, because they are emulated as if played on a GBC. (There is a pro to this. That being glass-view mode when you turn on native res and 3D, but it hurts my eyes and I prefer the slightly blowed up normal mode.)

I rec every Zelda on the eShop if you've never played them. But Ages has a two hour long fetch quest where you are stranded itemless on an island before the 4th dungeon and is the most linear Zelda in the series (including the awful DS games). It also has Jabu Jabu's Belly, the hardest dungeon in the series, because it's so ridiculously confusing and you have to traverse the entire thing repeatedly many times.

The only reason anyone should play Ages is if they LOVE Zelda lore and have played every other game, and even then, after Seasons so you have the code for Hero's Mode for the added story content. That way you don't have to suffer through it twice. The only catch is that canonically, Ages does come first. There is literally a short sidequest in the game devoted to this seldom-noted bit of lore, involving hitching a ride aboard a pirate's ship so that you can give them the Zora Scale you earn after the 7th dungeon. They explictly tell you they're headed to 'Olodrum where they're shipwrecked in the next game. There now you know the truth.

>> No.1258620

>>1258579
>including the awful DS games

I love the DS games. did you actually play them or are you just jumping on the bandwagon of hate?

>> No.1258879

>>1257361

But Ages is the better title with the better story.

>> No.1258891

>GBA Ring
>Literally does nothing
>People complain that it's not in the VC version
Why? If it had an effect, okay. But it's just a trophy.

>> No.1258892

>>1258579
>not liking Oracle of Ages
How can you even call yourself a Zelda fan?

>> No.1258902

>>1258892
Because he likes fun games and not Moron Dance Minigame Fest or the worst water dungeon in history.

>> No.1258904

>>1258579
>The only catch is that canonically, Ages does come first. There is literally a short sidequest in the game devoted to this seldom-noted bit of lore, involving hitching a ride aboard a pirate's ship so that you can give them the Zora Scale you earn after the 7th dungeon. They explictly tell you they're headed to 'Olodrum where they're shipwrecked in the next game. There now you know the truth.

Are you sure that's not just because you played Ages->Seasons? I remember that some plot elements were different depending on which order you played the games through.

>> No.1258907

>>1258902

There's also a dancing minigame with the Subrosians in Seasons.

>> No.1258908
File: 363 KB, 900x866, 1384729082011.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1258620
I played them. I like how Phantom Hourglass has secrets like the invisible island with the golden toad and also that you can skip ahead in certain parts like sequence-breaking to the 4th map and going to the Cobble Kingdom island early which is the only part of the game I love. Spirit Tracks I just loathe. It disgraces Zelda on every level and isn't fun outside of the mini-games (the rabbits and the cart-shootan game). I like that the bombs are actually optional after PH wasted two mandatory slots for bomb/Bombchus. But that's it.

>>1258879
The only thing better about Ages is that because it only has two worlds to explore rather than 5 there's less to do so you can put it away. Worst GB Zelda respectfully.

>> No.1259191
File: 5 KB, 160x128, Subrosian_Dance_Hall_Interior.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1258907
And I loved.

>> No.1259194

>>1257357
>So with that in mind, it doesn't really matter, the game itself is exactly the same.

What the fuck, you stupid little niglet? You've obviously never played them. They're completely different you chucklefuck.

>> No.1259485

>>1258908
You are by far the worst poster i have seen on /vr/
Everything about you SCREAMS Phil Fish.
Into the filter system with ye.

>> No.1259564

>>1257279
both have somewhat shitty conveyance but i felt that season made you feel less lost between dungeons. since ages is puzzle oriented you'll find yourself going around dungeons confused about what the fuck you need to do a lot more than in seasons.

>> No.1259568

>>1257357
>the game itself is exactly the same
But they're not.

Have you even played the fucking game?

>> No.1259619

>>1257285
confirmation of 14 year old lurking in adult forums. Sequel.......FTW sequel.

>> No.1259676

>>1258908
>The only thing better about Ages is that because it only has two worlds to explore rather than 5 there's less to do so you can put it away. Worst GB Zelda respectfully.
Ages is the only GB/C Zelda that has different worlds. Seasons has the same world with alternate paths/nature elements, and it doesn't try to present itself as anything else. The characters and setting is always the same. Link's Awakening just has Koholint. Ages is the only one with two fully realized worlds.

I honestly don't know what the fuck you're going on about. If you don't like Ages that's fine, but it can't be because it has "less to do". It's just as long as Seasons.