[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 400x300, 1386482348979.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1255747 No.1255747[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Decided to go back and play RE3 today. Why are Retro Horror Games so good, so dark?
what are some of your favorites?

>> No.1255763

Resident Evil 2 is my absolute favorite. I've also been playing Dino Crisis and Sweet Home lately.

Sweet Home may be more of an RPG with horror elements, but the limited items and inventory management do enough for me to give it a pass.

I'm also intending to download Project Firestart sometime soon. I saw it posted here some weeks ago and am definitely interested in some C64 survival horror.

>> No.1255771

For PSX Silent Hill is probably my very favorite then SH2 and RE 1&2 honorable mention to Gallerians.

D2 on Dreamcast is really cool for aSega take on the genre. Illbleed.

I like to suggest people try out the Japanese exclusive Devilman game for PSX.

I've been meaning to play the PC Blair Witch game and then Nocturne

>> No.1255785

I played through Claire A of RE2 today. 3 hours and I got a B rating, best i've ever done.

I've been really wanting to play 3 but I'm afraid of being disappointed.

>> No.1255798
File: 801 KB, 793x598, 1386483058296.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1255785

Do it, faggot.

RE3 is not my favorite RE, but I'm glad I played it, and a LOT of people swear by it. Just give it a fair shot.

>> No.1255815

>>1255785
its not bad, its no where near as good as two but its not horrible

>> No.1255864
File: 54 KB, 600x600, Dps1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else play this?

Just played it a while back. Shit is crazy

>> No.1255903

>>1255771
Gallerians needs more love. It's one of the hardest horror survival games I have played. The scares don't come from the atmosphere but once you get your head in the game...
> Oh god, I need more drugs
> But I'm already overdosing
> ...and I'm down to my last Delmetor

>...wait, did I really just say that?
> What has I become....

>>1255864
I haven't played it yet but I want to.

>> No.1255921

>>1255864
I played it once on a 3DO when I was a kid, but then I found it at a pawn broker in my town on the PS1, so i picked it up, crazy good game

>> No.1255929

>>1255747

RE3 is a shitty game, and pales in comparison to RE1 and 2.

>> No.1255953

>>1255903
It shouldn't be that costly unless you want a very mint copy, but even online it's not the most common game out there.

It's also really short, as the game requires you to complete it under 2 hours to get anything other than the time elapsed ending.

>>1255921
Mind telling me what your experience was as a child? Because I only heard of this game until now, hearing of Kenji Eno's untimely passing. It really did make me feel things, it's crazy but I love it.

>> No.1255961

>>1255953
Sure, having a ps1 at that time too, the 3DO was at my aunties house, I was playing Dino Crisis at the same time, being young Dino Crisis scared the shit out of me, but D just confused me, I didn't get it until I played it when I was 20

>> No.1255972

>>1255747
everyone hates me for it but this is my favorite in the series, the way nemesis stalks and follows you scared me so much more than the first two when I was younger.

>> No.1255980

Obvious favorites of mine are Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I also love Alone in the Dark: New Nightmare and Galerians.

I've been meaning to play Clock Tower, Illbleed, D, and D2, but I need to get them in Like New condition, which is pretty expensive of course.

>> No.1255994

>>1255980
You should also add Enemy Zero for the Sega Saturn if you don't already have it, as it, D, and D-2 make up what's essentially known as the D Trilogy

These games are incredibly unconventional though, and they're really unlike anything you'll ever play now, or maybe even back then. Even the creator's idea for scrapping one version of D-2 was strange.

>> No.1256029

>>1255994

I'd love to get Enemy Zero, but the only Saturn I own doesn't really work, and I haven't had time to look into repairs or buying a new one. I should've bought D when I saw it at a retro video game store near me a year ago. I don't play my Dreamcast nearly as much as my PS1, but I'll have to pick up D2 soon.

>> No.1256226

>>1256029
Enemy Zero is also on PC with better graphics but good luck finding a copy

I actually don't like it so much as it's either too easy or too frustrating depending on the difficulty. I do respect the game for being one of the most hardcore survival horror out there even though the inspiration from the Alien movies is really obvious (but then again how many games based themselves on Alien movies? Like, hundreds)

R.I.P Kenji Eno

>>1255785
3 is one of the bests (my favourite RE actually). People dismiss it because they call it a rehash just because there are like, 5 rooms, that are also in RE2, even though RE3 was the first to do things differently contrary to RE2 which was just exactly the same thing as 1. It's unjustified.

1 is as short as 1 B scenario of RE2, but it has extra replay values are some things are semi random. One playthrough isn't enough to understand how well designed it is. Just, don't play on Easy, play on Hard, Hard isn't even that hard anyway it should have been called "normal" and easy is "cheat" mode

>> No.1256475

The fatal frame games are the most scary ones I've ever played.

>> No.1256482
File: 66 KB, 650x650, 1386510224529.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't played this game yet, though I just got it.
Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm about to pop in?
It's called Martian Gothic. I've never heard of it before.

>> No.1256489
File: 59 KB, 670x475, redherring.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1256482
pic related. I do recommend giving it a play. It's also on pc.

>> No.1256495

>>1256482
It was a $10 game at release, one of the last PSX games to come out. It's pretty rushed, probably the devs were told "this needs to come out next month if it's ever going to come out at all". It has an awesome setting and tone. Outer space has great survival horror potential, all the way back to Firestart but Martian Gothic will quickly frustrate you with bad physics and then will go on to ultimately disappoint you because the ending is pretty anticlimactic and the pacing is all wrong in the last part of the game.

It really deserved to be something but unfortunately it wasn't.

>> No.1256502

>>1255763
where to get sweet home?

>> No.1256504

I love the Parasite Eve series...it's hard to find a good "horror RPG". It's an unusual genre.

>> No.1256506
File: 24 KB, 250x338, 250px-Hauntedhouse_atari.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not playing the ultimate retro horror survival game

>> No.1256508

>>1256504
I liked Parasite Eve 1 but the change of battle controls in 2 made it unplayable for me

>> No.1256518
File: 74 KB, 1024x768, untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1255798
My first serious walkthrough garnered rank D, second time I could pull off rank A, with 3 saves. I wonder how could Carlos open the railgun door after it was shut due to overheating...

Also,
>>>/int/17809766 Jill's AR stance

>> No.1256548

>>1256482
Great atmosphere, tons of interesting backstory, great survival gameplay elements, difficulty puzzles.
All ruined by a terrible hit detection because the game unfinished.
It's just like Rule Of Rose on PS2. It could have been great.

>> No.1256643
File: 142 KB, 1000x1379, 1386494628586.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1256518
Jill's stance, quoted thread was pruned.

>> No.1256645

>>1255747
> RE3
> All that action
> Horror game

No.

>> No.1256659

>>1256645
Please, I wasn't expecting this kind of /v/ quality response on /vr/.

If action can't be horror than for godsake survival horror isn't horror. Survival horror means action by definition, with no action it would be adventure horror.

Next you're going to tell me that if something is not scary it's not horror...

>> No.1257047

>>1255929
RE1:
>worst voice acting in the series
>that live action intro
However,
>well executed jumpscares
>that atmosphere
>slowly unfolding narrative
RE2:
>Ada Wait!
>large portion of the game is in the police station, as opposed to the actual city.
>Birkin is supposed to be the games most prominent antagonist, yet he doesn't confront the player that often.
>playing as Sherry
Yet,
>multiple campaigns
>Lickers
>better designed puzzles
>atmosphere again
RE3:
>cluster fuck at times
>only two difficulties
>Carlos's accent
>the grave digger boss.
But,
>Nemesis gives a sense of unease with his random encounters and the fact that he can actually follow through doors. Something the former games lacked.
>you actually play on the streets more than in 2
>Jill and UBCS, and some civilians. No whacky side stories like Ada gumming up the overall story with pointless bullshit.
>Nikolai was a good villain, and is much more interesting than someone like Irons.
All the games have improved somewhat from the former. Please pull your head out your ass. I would continue to say that Code: Veronica improved from 3 as well, but I can't because major flaws like Steve. Character and voice actor, he's just total shit. Also, Alfred's laugh.

Seriously, I've played all of them, and I still prefer 3. Nemesis pretty much made the game, but saying it's absolute shit when it had things the others didn't is just pretentious. I'm not saying it's the best, but come on.

>> No.1257079

>>1257047
Anothing thing that people often say about 3 compared to 2 is that it used the very same engine as 2, while in comparaison, 2 felt much more detailed compared to 1, so it didn't feel like a complete sequel.

Well I say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. CV went to a full new engine, all in 3D, as a result the graphics are shit, bland empty and undetailed, and the 3D camera added nothing to the game as they were executed very poorly (3D pre-rendered camera angles done right could be seen in Dino Crisis and Silent Hill in comparaison). I remember CV getting praised for its graphics at release, I've always thought the art direction was terrible. It might have been technically good back then for a console game though (and we all know that everybody who says "good graphics" for a video game is talking about the number of pixels and polygons, anti aliasing and other kind of shit like that, not the art direction)

>> No.1257090
File: 1.18 MB, 614x1384, Annoyed lera.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1255771
>PSX

>> No.1257094

>>1256508

I guess that's YMMV then, since I loved the change (especially since they kept the isometric view for a lot of fights, but ditched the "only one camera angle" thing).

I just wish they'd had a tough-as-nails optional dungeon like the Chrysler Building in the second one.

>> No.1257108

>>1257047
>>worst voice acting in the series
>>that live action intro

These aren't negatives. These are features.

>>large portion of the game is in the police station, as opposed to the actual city.

Police station was the best thing ever.

>Birkin is supposed to be the games most prominent antagonist, yet he doesn't confront the player that often.

This is not a real complaint. He's not some "big bad". He's just a man who is now a monster roaming around.

>Nemesis gives a sense of unease with his random encounters and the fact that he can actually follow through doors. Something the former games lacked.

Nemesis was a cheap gimick, and way too tryhard. I cannot take him seriously. He was also never scary. Just a chore.

>you actually play on the streets more than in 2

Which were stupid. Racoon City feels like a mix of Tokyo and New York.

>Jill and UBCS,

UBCS was more stupid retcons, totally uneeded and really stupid. Just more PEW PEW PEW action that plagues RE3 in an attempt to appeal to a broader audience.

>No whacky side stories like Ada gumming up the overall story with pointless bullshit.

What? She was an Umbrella Spy sent to receive samples. It totally makes sense.

>>Nikolai was a good villain,

I barely remember him.

>and is much more interesting than someone like Irons.

Irons was awesome.

>All the games have improved somewhat from the former.

Pfft. No. That was true of 2. But 3, and Code Veronica were cash ins. Completely idiotic. My god, Code Veronica is one of the dumbest things ever.

>> No.1257121

>>1257090

Stop being 16 please.

>> No.1257124

>>1257079
That's a good point. Also, I think another reason 3 is constantly bashed was because it didn't take such a huge leap in setting like 2 did. They were both based in Raccoon City.

And also, I just thought of something. What if 3 was released as 1s sequel? And 2 was it's follow up? I feel like people would still enjoy it, because of equal (and in some few instances better) characters and monsters, but the game would be overall more negatively viewed because it wouldn't have key gameplay elements like the Nemesis chases and the multiple paths you could choose in the quick action events.

I always hear that 3 is shit. But there's enough stuff there for it to stand up with the others easily. Like I said, I think a lot of people dislike it because they wanted another completely different setting/cast, but all they got was an extension to tie up the loose ends and bring back familiar faces. (This is another reason I love it, actually)

>> No.1257137
File: 276 KB, 611x409, cv_03.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1257108
> My god, Code Veronica is one of the dumbest things ever.

This is the only thing I agree with you on.
Nemesis was the scariest thing of all pre-remake RE. Best enemy too.

The police station was stupid. It looks nothing like a police station. It's just another mansion exactly like RE1.

Also explain to me how UBCS are "retcons" and where it's said that Ada worked for Umbrella. Also I think Ada's "stupid" side in the story isn't her spy thing (even though, again it's like a Wesker 2.0, good guy who turns out not to be so good) but Leon falling for her during a zombie apocalypse in literaly 1 hour of time.

The reason why Raccoon City (and not Racoon City) is like it is, is for gameplay. It's a design decision, it's much more interesting to fight zombies in narrow alleys rather than having plenty of space to avoid them and snipe them from far away.

I don't see how RE3's action orientation makes it appeal to a "broader audience". If anything, it was a bold move. if they really wanted to appeal to the most people possible, they would have done just like they did for RE2 : making a copy-pasta of RE1 all over again in a SLIGHTLY different environment.

i'm not the guy you were responsding to btw

>> No.1257148

>>1257137
>I don't see how RE3's action orientation makes it appeal to a "broader audience". If anything, it was a bold move. if they really wanted to appeal to the most people possible, they would have done just like they did for RE2 : making a copy-pasta of RE1 all over again in a SLIGHTLY different environment.

Remember that RE2 sold 5 millions copies. They could have just done another just the same but they didn't. Turned out the game was great for that reason but the sales weren't, so they went back to copy paste RE1 all over again later on because of that (the remake and 0)

>> No.1257157

>>1257094
>>1256508

I love PE1 and wish that the series stuck with that battle system and had refined it. I don't think there's a single game like PE out there. It felt like it was revolutionizing things and the first in a new genre. Then nothing else really picked up on it.

PE2 is nice, but it's more of an RE clone. I'm okay with that since it looks nice. I'm more annoyed that its setting and scale are so small. Just some tiny little town in the middle of nowhere and a lab. With almost no characters.

I was fully expecting to it to be just one of a dozen locations like in the original. I was waiting the whole game to get to the world map and choose to go somewhere else.

Oh and the cheap pandering by making Ayea even sexier and giving her a pointless shower scene was disgusting.

The storyline in PE games was always kinda stupid, but I did love the horror-fantasy-rpg mixture. I wish there was another game like it. What's even weirder is that now that shootan gaems are big, I'm certain that you could make a PE game a hit too.

>> No.1257158

>>1256506

I played that back in grade school, but I could never figure out what the fuck I was doing.

>> No.1257170
File: 1.25 MB, 600x340, laughing loli.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1257137
>Nemesis was the scariest thing of all pre-remake RE. Best enemy too.

>> No.1257187

>>1257108
> these are features
The voice acting was shit. How is that a feature.
>Police Station was the best thing ever.
The Station tried to hard to replicate the Mansion. RE games are notorious for whacky puzzles, and the Mansion at least had reasons behind the architecture, since it was an Umbrella Facility, but the Police Station was so crazy at some points, it was laughable. Also, regardless, it still took way too much time. 3 kept you going to newer locations quickly with not that much backtracking.
>He's just a man who is now a monster roaming around
Exactly. Nothing was really looming over the player throughout the game.
>Nemesis was a cheap gimmick/Just a chore
And playing as Sherry wasn't?
>feels like a mix of Tokyo and New York.
The importance of the outbreak was that it spread to an entire city. That thousands died because Umbrella'sevil and rash actions. Spending a huge chunk of the game in one building when there's an entire destroyed city is just stupid.
>Was more stupid retcons
So they're unacceptable, but the USS are? Also, they all practically died before 2, so I don't see what they retcon.
>it totally makes sense.
Yet it was pointless. Ada could've been cut from the game, and not much would change except say, Annette. And how does she make sense, but the UBCS do not?
>I barely remember him
Obviously, since you barely know 3.
>Irons was awesome.
I agree, but it feel like Nikolai was better, because he did more than point a gun from his desk and die. He at least tried to fuck with Jill and Carlos.
>Code Veronica is one of the dumbest things ever.
I can agree to this.

>> No.1257197

>>1257170
Not the same guy, but you got a better one?

>> No.1257240

>>1257187
>The voice acting was shit. How is that a feature.

Cause it's fucking AWESOME.

>The Station tried to hard to replicate the Mansion.

No shit. RE is about the "spooky mansion" setting. This is where it worked. The farther it got away from this setting, the worse it was. Cue 3, and onwards.

>> No.1257262
File: 243 KB, 1024x1024, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1257240
>Cause it's fucking AWESOME

That still doesn't explain how it's a feature. I doubt they intentionally tried to make it bad.

>RE is about the "spooky mansion" setting.
You're right. The first game was. The second didn't need to be. Also,

>RE3 is a cash in
>Police Station purposefully milks the mansion gimmick when it isn't necessary.

>> No.1257271

>>1257240
RE1 was the "spooky mansion" thing yes, but RE3 was like a zombie apolycpse in a city. Mimicking zombie apocalypse movies just like RE1 mimicked the "haunted house" cliché. They both did good jobs at that too.
Meanwhile RE2 didn't really know what it was, like it was trying to be both but not really.

>>1257262
>That still doesn't explain how it's a feature. I doubt they intentionally tried to make it bad.

Some people believe that. Some people even believe RE1 is supposed to be comedy. Bad voice acting in Jap games at the time was typical because that's how Japs saw the English language, they specifically made voice actors spoke that way on purpose because that's how they thought it was right or how it sounded best for Japs. But, RE1 was never trying to be funny and bad on purpose. You can read and hear everywhere in interviews Mikami saying what he did to make the game scary, never "funny".

>> No.1257275 [DELETED] 

>>1257271
>NESfag

I am so sick of your austic ass shit posting all over /vr/. At least take your name off.

>> No.1257282

>>1257275
I don't see how he's shitposting right now. He seems to be making reasonable points, there.

>> No.1257307

>>1257275
His post was a lot better than yours mate.

>> No.1257351
File: 28 KB, 299x248, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any of you guys remember this? I remember it was hard as fuck and the first boss scared me shitless when I was younger.

>> No.1257893

>>1256502

Anywhere. The pre-patched ROM is all over the internet.

>>1257240

RE doesn't really HAVE to be about a spooky mansion. It's survival horror with puzzles thrown in. I'm not the biggest fan of RE3, but I will give them credit for trying something new.

Because I'm going to be honest, I can only go through so many "mansion-esque" areas and end up in a secret umbrella lab so many times before it starts to get old.

>> No.1257906

>>1255864
I finally figured out the overarcing D storyline. If anyone's interested, I can post my research here.

>> No.1257910

>>1257906

There are some D fans in the thread, so go right ahead.

>> No.1257932

>>1257910
Alright, but be warned to those who haven't beaten them, there's some spoilers

>In the first D, it's about laura realizing her lineage -- being a descendant of Dracula -- and trying to change the present, but that is futile. In beta D2, it's about her son who gets sent to the past to prevent the future's present from there being any vampries and dracs running amok. In real D2, it's the new dimension that happens from her son altering the past by killing Vlad, where Laura is alive again and a human instead of a vampire. She goes on to find out she was the daughter of a mechanical woman that mass-produces Lauras and later goes on to destroy the Elder God that sent her son back in time in beta D2. And Enemy Zero is Laura when the earth dies out and all humans have to evacuate and live in spaceships, when hers gets attacked by invisible alien vampires from the old dimension that she has to now face. Technically, it takes place in the new-new timeline, about around the same time that D had happened in the first timeline, which is why you still see some of the same characters appearing again in EZ who already died or went missing in D2.

>So the chronology goes: Towadako Murder Case -> D -> beta D2 -> real D2 => Enemy Zero in terms of how everything happens in the story, with the => denoting it takes place at the same time but in different timelines

>> No.1257956

>>1257351
My local arcade still has a Zombie Revenge arcade cabinet that I play every time I go there.

I also own the home version.

>> No.1257957

Are the PC versions of RE 1-3 worth hunting down?

>> No.1257968

>>1257956
You lucky shit. My local arcade used to have House of The Dead 2 and CarnEvil, but they got rid of them years ago, and now there's no horror shooters at all.

>> No.1257971

>>1257968
Not that guy, but my local arcade that opened up not too long ago have bot HotD 2 and CarnEvil.
Shit, they probably bought them off your arcade.

>> No.1257993

>>1256482

One of the spookiest horror games on PSX.

>> No.1257995

>>1257971
You play either of them? Not many people I know knew what CarnEvil was, but goddamn I had fun with that game.

>> No.1258003

>>1257995
Yeah, both of them.
CarnEvil was one of the more unique railshooters I've played, but what was with that out of place christmas level?

>> No.1258006

I've never played the original resident evil and this thread made me want to play it, should I go with the PS1 or the gamecube remake?

I've heard the gamecube remake is simply better at everything.

>> No.1258010

>>1258006
Play the first, them REmake.
You'll appreciate REmake more then.

>> No.1258024

>>1258006
Definitely REmake. Better graphics, expanded story, new enemies, superior voice acting, better ties to the other games, better atmosphere, amped difficulty, etc.

Unless you're wanting the same feel from 2 or 3, still scary but just enough bad voice acting and outdated graphics to give yourself a healthy dose of nostalgia.

>> No.1258031

>>1255771
>illbleed
>my dick
Love that game.
Picked up blue stinger not knowing it was made by the same dude, but can't get past the first swimming part due to the controls just being so beyond shit. Still had fun kicking dino-men to death so hard that my foot bursts into flames.

>> No.1258029
File: 178 KB, 640x480, parasite_eve_2_03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

PE2 wasn't really a horror game, but it had some pretty unsettling elements. I remember one fight was against some lobotomized mutant in a lab that was basically restrained and force-fed all day, to be used as some sort of organic generator.

>> No.1258048

>>1258031

Illbleed actually has a few Blue Stinger references. Dogs (second playable character in Stinger) cameos as a dead body in the lumber factory, and there's Hassy cola as well.

>> No.1258053

>>1255771
I sorta have a soft spot for Illbleed. It was one of those games that was purposefully goofy for the fuck of it, while still being creepy as fuck at some bits (Banballow). However, the whole gameplay mechanic of deactivating traps or having a heart attack was really poorly done. I'd like to see a remake that's just as insane but without the trap gimmick.

>> No.1258065

>>1258053

The guy responsible for Illbleed died a few years ago. Sucks too, because he was working on an HD update of Blue Stinger with reworked controls and combat.

>> No.1258105

>>1258048
I totally noticed the hassy right off the bat when I played blue stinger. Honestly at first I thought it was a joke, as in illbleed has been directly making fun of blue stinger. But I'm gonna have to look for Dogs next time I'm playing, thanks!

>> No.1258114

>>1258053
Honestly, I thought it was a cool mechanic!
It felt like less of a game trying to scare you, but the game trying to simulate a horror park. Cause haunted houses ain't scary if you just stand back and assess them, but can be if you get into it and start running through them.

>> No.1258115

Anyone here play Nocturne? I read about it on HG101 and am pretty interested based on the description.

Just hope I can run it on vista.

>> No.1258159
File: 107 KB, 450x338, 199193.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just beat Dino Crisis. I wasn't impressed with it. It's like Mikami took everything that made his previous creation great and sucked it all out, almost as if he didn't understand the point of Survival Horror in the first place.

I mean, this game's plot is a mess. Not in the way the RE games were; I'm not talking about cheesy characters and plotholes, I mean DC makes no sense thematically. There is no villain, and the only person who could fit that role is Dr. Kirk, except he's a goof, doesn't put up a fight, and is no threat whatsoever. The dinosaurs are almost an afterthought to the story - they could be giant sloths, mastodons, or even zombies for all we care, we just happened to end up with dinosaurs. Even the characters seem unimpressed, as they are all more interested in some microwave energy generator than in the fucking dinosaurs! And the journals in the game, which added a great deal to the atmosphere in RE, are mainly just memos detailing how to work the effing lab equipment (or simply more hubbub about the energy-producing microwave)! It's like, "btw, I know there's some dinosaurs running around gutting people alive, but fuck that, back to the more important topic: the energy generator." It’s like the game is trying to ignore what is directly in the title: dinosaurs. There's no plot twists, no development, just you and your cohorts repetitively chasing some chickenshit scientist through a boring, generic laboratory full of dinosaurs. The only plot twist is how the dinosaurs came to be (I bet you can’t guess how – hint: the energy generator), and that your leader is working behind your back for a third-party, didn’t see that coming, it’s only happened in every other friggin’ Resident Evil! Mikami improved the survival horror game mechanics to near-perfection in this title, but he forgot to work on anything else.

>> No.1258170

>>1258159
>Mikami improved the survival horror game mechanics to near-perfection in this title, but he forgot to work on anything else.

Is that really a bad thing? I find that Dino Crisis puts more emphasis on survival than RE, due to the fact that your average enemy is a violent dinosaur that is about 2-3 times larger than you. Maybe it's me, but you spend more time running than fighting in DC, and considering how easy it is for most Dinos to shrug off bullets, it's probably for the best.

I also found the puzzles generally fun and on the average better than the ones in RE.

I'm with you on the storyline. You don't really even know what's going on for most of the game, and the journals provide more humor than anything (My favorite entries are the ones where the scientists consider trying to poison Kirk as well as the female who implies many of the males in the facility are so invested in their work that they aren't showering).

So yeah, plot was kinda weak and so was the vibe, but the game is so damn fun otherwise.

>> No.1259024

>>1257957
RE3 should be run under low sound acceleration mode on WindowsXP, I couldn't find any sound acceleration feature in Windows7 bur it ran quite well. Mercenaries mode only runs in windowed mode on WinXP, else it will crash. Switching between windowed & full screen mode in Win7 causes the game to flicker for about 5 seconds before crashing, you still can play full screen mode in Win7.

>> No.1259038

>>1258024
I think RE3 mitigated the bad voice acting, but the ordinary animations during dialogues are still stilted.

>> No.1259048

>>1258115
SMT Nocturne?

>> No.1259057

>>1259048
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/terminalreality/nocturne.htm

>> No.1259072

RE 2 is awesome, although I haven't beaten it since I was a lot younger. recently beat RE directors cut again and got a newfound appreciation for it

>> No.1259331

>>1258029
I'm actually going through a replay of PE2 now. I love it, I absolutely LOVE action games using 3D models with pre-rendered 2D (or 3D) backgrounds. I think I love them so much BECAUSE I love survival horror, so those are great actions games but the cherry on the top is that, since it feels a little like some survival horror, it feels like you're given everything you were restricted of : tons of ammo and being able to fight tons of enemies, at last. I love dino crisis 2, pe2, vampire hunter d (which is pretty much onimusha/devil may cry before they were made), and all 3 first onimusha games.

>>1258159
Well I consder Dino Crisis the greatest AITD style survival horror simply due to what you said
>Mikami improved the survival horror game mechanics to near-perfection in this title
I like the rest too but I admit it was nothing special, except dinosaurs, dinosaurs are cool.

>>1257957
RE2 and 3 on PC are the best versions. RE1 is great too for updated graphics and being able to skip doors, but good luck making it work properly (at regular speed).

>> No.1259357

>>1259024
>>1259331
Good to know.
Do any of them come in boxed versions?

>> No.1259376
File: 164 KB, 1024x768, IMG00332-20131005-1440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259357
Yes but good luck finding one (and you'd need to be even more lucky to find one at a decent price)

RE3 boxed looks cool

>> No.1259378
File: 160 KB, 1024x768, IMG00333-20131005-1440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259376
The front opens up and shit

I used to have RE2 boxed too but I felt in my old rooms at my parent's home and my mom trashed it. It wasn't like it was put as a trophy on the shelf on anything.... blah, it only goes for 50 bucks on ebay these days WHEN there is one...

>> No.1259381

>>1259376
>>1259378
God damn, I'm so jealous.
But, I waited forever for SH2 CiB to go on sale for a decent price.
I'll wait an eternity again.

Also, which goes for 50? 2 or 3?

>> No.1259438
File: 40 KB, 640x480, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259331
I just downloaded this RE2 torrent.

katproxy.me/resident-evil-2-pc-lt-original-uncut-t6959930.html

Unfortunately I can't make it run in full screen. I click the full screen option but it always runs it inside a box. Any idea how to fix this?

>> No.1259543

>>1259438
Tried the in game key that switches between different video modes? i think it's F7 or F8 or something. That or maybe it's something to do with your GPU you could always check your GPU settings

>>1259381
>Also, which goes for 50? 2 or 3?
RE2

also you mean SH2 PC version CiB? Can I see that? the PC version of SH2 is the best as well contrary to popular belief

>> No.1259596

>>1259543
>also you mean SH2 PC version CiB? Can I see that?
Sure. I'll try and look for my camera. May be a while.

>> No.1259601

>>1259378
I've always wondered the origin of this Nemesis image, never seen it nor the cover before. Alas, looks like he has the opposite eye.

>> No.1259621

>>1257090

MFW I encounter a kid who wasn't there from the start.

*still remembers reading about the upcoming PSX console in magazines and even pirate cracked intro's.

shit was so cash.

>> No.1259625
File: 906 KB, 2272x1704, sh2pc_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259543
>>1259596
Ironically, I got this for 50 bucks.
Every other one I saw was around 100-120.
At first, I thought it was some sort of reprint, because it looked so new. I kind of still carry that suspicion.

>> No.1259629
File: 912 KB, 2272x1704, sh2pc_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259625
Unboxed.

>> No.1259631
File: 913 KB, 2272x1704, sh3pc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1259629
Bonus.

>> No.1259632

>>1259543
>SH2 PC best.

True, but difficult as hell to get running on modern machines without graphical issues - some of which can make the game utterly unplayable. I tried for months to get it to work on three different machines, and all of them would fuck up horrendously if you turned your flashlight on.

>> No.1259689

>>1257262
RE was always supposed to be a B horror movie video game which is why the opening is so fucking cheesy and the voices are terrible. If you take the story seriously in RE you are doing it wrong.

>> No.1259878

>>1259689
I think the intro/endings is simply the best they could get with their budget. The VA is also reprensentative of how Japs saw 'good english voice acting' back in the days, and actually RE's voice acting isn't that bad for the time. Compare it to games like, Mansion Of Hidden Souls or Deep Fear and you'll see what I mean. Or even, The Note, which even shares a similar voice actor, has much worse voice acting.

Of course RE was trying to be like a movie (that's very obvious from the intro to the lack of hud in game, as well as the camera angles) but it wasn't trying to be bad on purpose. It's the best they could get with their budget and for the era it was made in, just like b horror movies...

>> No.1259882

>>1259625
>>1259629
>>1259631
Damn I want this so bad. I dream of finding such things in flea markets but with the ammount of resellers around it's very unlikely... Although to be honest, PC games are usually not touched by resellers and are still the only games you can find priced low but SH and RE are exceptions to that.

>> No.1259901
File: 157 KB, 512x512, BestFriendZaibatsu!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1257108
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, PAT!!!!

>> No.1260215

>>1259882
The only things I find in flea markets are old clothes and antiques.
None that are interesting either, like old mechanical toys or oddities. It's always the same damn wood carved knick nacks.