[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 25 KB, 526x400, 6143f43bArL._SY400_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1253679 No.1253679[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Has /vr/ had any experience with this:

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GSRPG8

I've seen a couple at used game stores and was kinda interested. I'm more so now because i can't get portable snes emulation for a reasonable price. i was thinking about pairing it with an sd2snes. one thing i like about that idea is then i can play it on my snes and then if i want to go sit outside or something then i can use the same save file. Never heard anyone say anything about it.

tl;dr is the supaboy full of dicks or does he not afraid of anything?

>> No.1256059

18 hour bump. any idea about making one out of a damaged snes? say the motherboard and pin connector are intact but the outputs, controller ports,and case were destroyed. i could figure out the electronic aspect,but what about making a case for it? I think a wii u remote housing may work well with slight modifications.

>> No.1256070

I remember hearing some bad things about it, the screen sucks or something. Don't really remember. This thing seems pretty damn impractical though, and it's not exactly portable.

>> No.1256072

>>1256070
I would assume it eats batteries like a nomad

>> No.1256083

>shit screen
>hardware is incompatible with some games, and has been reported to crash randomly and wipe your SRAM
>dpad is the shittiest thing ever invented
>sound is alright, but the TV-out is mono only
tl;dr just spend that money on some emulator box. For the same price you could just get some JXD device that will run Snes9x at full speed.

>> No.1256098

>>1256083
>mono only
WHAT YEAR IS IT!?

>> No.1256138

I have it. Mainly plug it into my tv and use it as a makeshift SNES at uni so I don't have to drag my actual system around and potentially damage it.
It works okay as a portable. The battery life is a bit short, its too bulky to put into your pocket and the dpad is kind of shit. It works for most games though, and if you're not into emulation it's the next best thing.

>> No.1256148

why not just get a psp and load it with emulators?

>> No.1256152

>>1256148
Doesn't SNES emulation suck on the PSP?

>> No.1256158

>>1256152
Decent for most of the more popular titles, stuff with a lot of sprites and things happening are really slow though. Turn based RPGs are playable at basically any framerate so at least there's that.

>> No.1256180

>>1253679
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblezapgames.supergnes_lite

There you go, free emulatpr for Android. Pop that into your phone and you're set.

I'm sure there's one for iphone plebs as well

>> No.1256210

>>1256152
>>1256158
It's sad when my old 133 Mhz Windows 95 machine can run SNES games on ZSNES more smoothly a PSP or DS can with their emulators.

>> No.1256613

>>1256138
I'm mostly considering this because i haven't had luck with portable emulation so far so i don't want to drop the a couple hundred on something may be disappointed with. the flash cart wouldn't be strictly for the handheld so i can justify that
>>1256158
i have one actually, i have to turn on frameskipping for rpgs if i have a full party. kirby is unplayable for example
>>1256180
i gotta leave my phone free for work. I'm outside in the cold for upwards of10 hours a day and that kills the battery. I'm only by a charger when i sleep

>> No.1256726

Buy a used Xperia Play OP. They're like $20. Maybe $30.

>> No.1256750

>>1256210
No, it's not. PSP emulators actually strive for accuracy as well. ZSNES does not, never did, and never will.

And as for OP:
Fuck no. These things are horrible. A buddy of mine had one once, and he let me try it out: It barely loaded games, and aside from that you bump it once and it tilts. The buttons and the d-pad suck dick. They're cheaply made and are not comfortable to use/hold at all. Aside from that, it just won't run some games, because it's the 'emulator-on-a-chip' hypershit is infamous for at this point. The screen sucks dick too, as many have mentioned. Just get a handheld emulator box, OP. They're a little pricer but this thing has a LOT of issues that are honestly far worse.

>> No.1258313
File: 210 KB, 705x588, 1386559930793.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1256750
>accuracy
That right there is the problem. ZSNES on a 133 Mhz computer runs almost any SNES ROM at a playable speed and looks good, while SNEmulDS and whatever emulator the PSP has have issues playing anything at either the right speed and/or without graphical glitches. I don't understand why they don't sacrifice some speed to actually make the games playable.

Also, If you truly want accuracy while playing your game, get an SD2SNES or a Super Everdrive and play on the actual console. I absolutely love my SD2SNES. Emulators like bsnes/higan are not for playing game, but for documenting how the the system they emulate works, and even those emulators are not 100% accurate. For a general emulator for people to just play games, playability is much more important than accuracy, and it should easily be possible to get nearly every SNES game to play smoothly on the PSP by doing that.

>> No.1258476

>>1258313
PocketSNES can run most games that don't use special hardware at near full speed, but nobody seems to use it because muh accuracy.

>> No.1258540

>>1253679
Yes, I have. It's shit. Bad screen, bad controls, bulky and doesn't run anything better than your average emulator. You do much better to get just about any emulation oriented console in that price range (or less) for a far superior machine.

>> No.1258721

>>1258476
Is that on PSP? Forget accuracy, it's better than having frameskipping set at 3+.

>> No.1260004

I have it has kinda bad speakers they sound like they cloud blow up when you turn the volume up witch is a disappointment as I was really looking forward to this system.

>> No.1260083

>>1258313
>That right there is the problem. ZSNES on a 133 Mhz computer runs almost any SNES ROM at a playable speed and looks good, while SNEmulDS and whatever emulator the PSP has have issues playing anything at either the right speed and/or without graphical glitches. I don't understand why they don't sacrifice some speed to actually make the games playable.

Zsnes is x86 assembly language. Fast, but NOT portable. It works on Win32, Linux, and Xbox.

The best you can do is Snes9x-Next, which is a speedhack version of Snes9x. It's meant for consoles.

What these handheld consoles, like NDS and PSP would need is a snes emualtor written from the ground up, tailored specifically for the PSP. You know how long it took us to make snes emulators for PC? That would be such an undertaking for such dead system.s

>> No.1260209

>>1260083
Writing in Assembly doesn't give you the speed advantage it used to back then because other languages like C++ have compilers than can optimize code much better now. There's really no reason why SNES9x couldn't run at a decent speed on a PSP.

>That would be such an undertaking for such dead system.
I was saying that it should have been done when they first were porting emulators to the PSP and DS. I hope they do a better job when they get homebrew fully working on the 3DS and Vita

>> No.1261064

>>1260209
I know this one guy who has a friend who tried to code in assembly late one stormy night. He heard a strange scratching noise coming from his machine and switched back to C because he had heard assembly could cause problems with his hard drive. Later, when he opened up his machine he found a bloody hook hanging from the hard drive.

>> No.1261071

>>1253679
I own one, and the D pad makes it totally unusable. I replaced the rubber membranes under the d-pad with microswitches and it's 100 times better, but this is beyond the capability of the average consumer. avoid at all cost.

>> No.1261890

>>1256726
Will android 2.3run it at playable speeds?
>>1261071
i could probably do that,and replace the speaker,switch the screen, and install rechargeable batteries. I'm not going to do that with something straight out of the box though

>> No.1261907

>>1256152
>>1256210
there's an SNES emulator for PSP that works fine.
Perfect speed, no graphic glitches (unless battery running out sign)

Seriously there's no need to buy that thing

>> No.1261913

>>1261907
snes9xTYL0.4.2

that's it. I tried many versions and this one works perfect. No frameskip, graphics set on "accurate+fast" i believe. I'm mostly playing chrono trigger for testing, but all games that had problems before worked just fine

>> No.1261918

>>1256152
Yes. Shit emulation in general is ass on the PSP. I don't know why people recommend it so much outside of playing PS1 games wherever you want.

>> No.1261920

>>1261918
Because it works just fine unless you're an autist purist freak?

>> No.1261934 [DELETED] 

>>1261064

xspooky2xme

>> No.1261938

>>1261064

xspookyx+2me