[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 24 KB, 625x558, oot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1243821 No.1243821 [Reply] [Original]

why do you guys think ocarina of time is considered by many to be the best game ever? what started it and why exactly that specific game?

>> No.1243829

>Critically acclaimed
>Innovative fuck you, yes it was
>Well received by the general public
>Became the favorite of millions

Everything else is an opinion.

>> No.1243857
File: 903 KB, 300x200, 1386039411455.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have very fond memories of being at friends houses and being completely blown away by it. That first step out of Kokiri Forest into Hyrule Field blew my mind. The Stalchildren were genuinely creepy at night, and it seemed like an enormous game.

It was the right game at the right time with the right marketing. Everyone had it except me. I didn't get a chance to own it and beat it until 2003. Great game on its own merits.

>> No.1243870
File: 449 KB, 618x920, linksawakeningart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's a great game for sure, but I personally find Link's Awakening to be a much better Zelda overall.

Dat plot twist at the end, man.

>> No.1243881

I personally love OoT. Everything worked as perfectly as you can get in that game. And changed how 3D adventure games as played even today. With it whole Z-Targeting and very wonder pacing. Thinking back the only problem I had is that there was little to do with actual exploring. And while yes LttP marked things on your map you were still forced to explore to find how to get there. While in OoT there normally was only obvious path to reach the next area. While was basically fixed in Wind Waker which I do feel is a better game. But this 100% was more influential to gaming as a whole.

>> No.1243896

Beautiful music too. From the first opening notes played in the intro screen, the background music of places like Gerudo Valley and Lost Woods, and the ocarina songs themselves like Minuet of Forest and Bolero of Fire, everything was wonderfully scored and greatly added to the atmosphere of the game.

>> No.1243902

>>1243870
This guy gets it. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game though there are a couple that I've never played

Ocarina of Time was the first to have cool 3D graphics. This allowed it to have a big and epic grandeur to everything and helped create some really awesome atmosphere. On top of that, it's just a great Zelda game in that classic Zelda model. Exploring, collective, solving, and killing things all with a quirky sense of humor makes for a fun and memorable experience.

>> No.1243907

>>1243870
What makes LA so good?
Everyone always raves about it.

I've barely played any Zelda games and haven't finished one

>> No.1243916

>>1243870
I never played Ocarina of Time when I was a kid at all really. I never owned it. I rented it and had no desire to play it. I saw my friends beat it at least. I used to travel a lot with my parents, and I played so many gameboy games for hours. Link's Awakening was one of them although I don't think I got very far. Link's Awakening was my favourite, then the Oracle of Ages and Seasons, and Wind Waker. Those were my Zelda games. I never understood why OoT was so popular ever.

>> No.1243931

>>1243907
Well, gameplay wise is very similar to Link to the Past, which is a very good thing. LttP is another Zelda game, along with OoT that a lot of long time fans of the series point to as their favorite.

However, LA, in my opinion, is a harder game than LttP. Eagle's Tower and Turtle Rock are some of the more challenging dungeons I can recall from the entire series that I've played. There's also a few side quests in LA such as the seashell scavenger hunt and a long chain of trading items that starts at the beginning of the game and doesn't finish until nearly all the way at the end.

But the real thing that makes it a favorite for so many fans is the story and the foreboding atmosphere it creates. It takes place on this mysterious island. Everything seems bright and happy enough, but relatively early on you start to get this idea that not everything is what it seems.

At the end of the game, you discover that the island and everything on it are figments of the imagination of a giant god-like creature called The Wind Fish. It is asleep and you are trapped inside its dream. By beating the final boss, you will allow it to wake up and you will be set free, however, all of the villagers and helpful creatures you've met along the way will cease to exist. They don't die. They will cease to exist. When you consider that you form some close bonds with several of them, including the first appearance of Maron who you share a romantic cut-scene with where she expresses her longing to go and travel the world and discover who she really is, this reveal is heart breaking. It's an existential crisis done well, and in a fucking Zelda game on a GameBoy of all places. Holy shit.

>> No.1243971

>>1243870
This. I think it's by far the best Zelda game. It took what LttP did and perfected it, and was building off the original. Even for a Gamebody game of beeps and boops the soundtrack was killer. Story was great, they enacted an already cliched plot twist and it was actually believable and fun.

On OoT I think one of the reasons everybody loves it is that the generation that grew up playing the originals and LttP were getting older, and OoT does have a little bit more mature content as far as gameplay and story so I think it fit right in and sort of 'grew up' with the original core audience.
Plus a far as game design, OoT is just really fucking good. It's almost a perfect example of how to do everything right. From story, to balance, to sense of agency, art, soundtrack, on and on. Even almost 20 years later it's pretty hard to find legitimate complaints about it other than what would now be considered very out of date graphics.

>> No.1243979

I don't know what the big deal with Ocarina of Time is, it's just one famous game mechanic after another

>> No.1244041
File: 376 KB, 1275x606, ZMS.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1243821

Not only was it super hyped up at the time but it was the first Zelda game to be in true 3-D. I have grown to appreciate why the limitations of 2-D can be a strength to certain video games, but at the time the idea of playing as Link in a 3-D environment was so exciting it put most kids into a mind-altering state of euphoric excitement.

I had a friend who had let me come over and play it right when it was released. I wasn't even a huge Zelda fan and I was so impressed with the graphics, the presentation, the mechanics, etc.

So I think that it did innovate mechanics, it brought Zelda into 3-D, it was pretty much a dream come true to the little kids who would pretend to be link outside with plastic swords and thought "Wow, what if Link was real? What if Hyrule was like a real kingdom?" etc. Now you could say that the 2-D versions of Zelda games were no less "real" than the 3-D and I would agree with that. However in a little kid's mind the better the graphics and closer the environment is to looking like real life, the more "real" it is.

I mean that's how I see it and I'm not saying the game is only for kids, I'm not saying it wasn't a solid game, I'm only sharing what I observed at the time of it's release and what followed. I mean there were kids who could appreciate the more subtle genius of how it has a lot of safety nets and holds your hand when it comes to dying a lot and the like. I heard some people at the time thought the game was too easy and wished it was harder like the Zelda 1. I too think maybe a Game+ would have been pretty cool for the more hardcore players but now we have romhacks I suppose.

That said, A Link to the Past is still my favorite with Zelda 2 not far behind.

>> No.1244053

>>1244041
>I too think maybe a Game+ would have been pretty cool for the more hardcore players but now we have romhacks I suppose.

There's always Master Quest.

>> No.1244064

>>1244053

Right but did/do people have master quest? Emulation aside it's not widely available and it wasn't at the time obviously. My cousin actually has it and I'm slightly jealous. Though I do have the Collector's Edition disc that came with my Black Gamecube.

I suppose you could also make it harder by not looking for the extra heart pieces too. I don't think the game was too easy it was just a small criticism I remember from around the time it was released and people had already beaten it in a few weeks.

>> No.1244116

>>1243821
fuck i beat the dragon thing,first srs boss and i reinstalled my pc, now i have to start over
fuck me
game is still pretty fun tho
i discovered i have a thing for games with n64 graphics, idk why i cant even explain it
i also love older games graphics than newer games

>> No.1244137

Link's Awakening is clumsy shit. Have fun fucking with your inventory on every screen and never even using your shield because they tried to make a more complicated version of Link to the Past on a system with four fewer buttons.

>> No.1244153

>>1244064
>Collector's Edition

You're thinking of 2 different GC games. The other is just called OOT/Master Quest. It's actually more common than the other one.

>> No.1244159

>>1244153

When did I confuse them? I was merely saying I got back at my cousin having OOT/Master Quest by having the Collector's Edition he didn't have.

>> No.1244175

>>1243821

It revolutionized 3D combat with Z-Targeting. Also before anyone says "Mega Man Legends did it first!", that implementation isn't quite the same: the main thing being that you can't move while targeting an enemy.

OOT's combat was much smoother than any other 3rd-person 3D game at the time, and most games since have used a similar (or identical) targeting feature, so it was hugely influential as well.

>> No.1244173
File: 13 KB, 317x238, hey guys how's that spirit temple coming along.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1244159
Fuck i knew i was misunderstanding you but i wasn't sure. My bad anon.

Fuck the spirit temple in Master Quest.

>> No.1244180

>>1244173

It's okay. I got a little too defensive anyways. I'm a little on edge because Winter always depresses and brings out the worst in me.

>> No.1244182

it did the jump to 3D extremely well considering it was the era of the first 3D games,

>> No.1244196

>>1244182
This. So many series were going 3D in the90s and utterly failed, but Zelda pulled it off perfectly.

>> No.1244234

>>1243931
I'm pleased that there is a growing school of people that recognize Link's Awakening as being better than A Link to the Past. ALttP was a big step forward for the series, but Link's Awakening was fine-tuned perfection. The dungeon design in that game was wonderful. I replayed it a while ago on the 3DS, and I loved how the dungeons were so balanced that they were never impossible, but they frequently had you second-second guessing yourself, or wondering which path to take..

>> No.1244249

"Best game ever" for the masses is always about the feelings invoked when they first played the games, never real qualities of the game itself.

>> No.1244257

>>1244234
>CONSTANTLY pausing to reset your A and B buttons since your damn sword and shield don't have buttons of their own
>fine-tuned perfection

>> No.1244269

>>1244257
What other solution could they possibly use? If you're the kind of person that will use this as excuse for disliking one of the greatest adventure games ever made, you're just kind of an asshole. Get bent.

>> No.1244304

>>1244269
Why? It's a perfectly legitimate complaint.

>> No.1244312
File: 74 KB, 220x320, bent.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1244269
Not who you were quoting, but I did find the lack of X and Y buttons to be a step back after playing LttP. Obviously there was nothing to do about that on the gameboy but imagine if it was on the SNES, then I would call it fine tuned perfection. It is a fantastic game but I still like LttP more, not just because of the buttons.

Pic related, calm down.

>> No.1244314

>>1243870

Agreed

Link's Awakening achieves more within the limits of the hardware than OOT does. And it has a more moving storyline.

>> No.1244328

>>1243870
>>1243902
>>1243931
>>1243971
>>1244314
What happened to /vr/'s fetish for Zelda II?

>> No.1244332

>>1244269
Are you seriously suggesting that something like that, which is complained about greatly in OOT in a certain temple, is okay through a whole game? Nigger please i love ALW but that shit was annoying.

>> No.1244342

>>1243821
I quit when I got to hyrule field since basically everything was boring at that point. The story was slow, the walking tedious, the switching back and forth between items annoying, the puzzles I had to walk back and forth to over and over again frustrating, etc. I feel like I might be remembering it wrong and should go back and give it another chance, but damn if I didn't think it was inferior to 2D Zelda games back then.

>> No.1244352

>>1244342
The game is slower paced, yes. You'll get stomped in the game by not being able to figure out how to proceed or missing a key instead of being beat up by enemies. In a sense, the older 2D games are ACTION-adventures, and Ocarina of Time is an action-ADVENTURE.

>> No.1244457

>why do you guys think ocarina of time is considered by many to be the best game ever?

It's not fanboys just think it is.

>> No.1244464

>>1244457
How dare the majority have different opinions than you

>> No.1244473

>best game ever
No just no....

>> No.1244497

>>1243821

You could ask the same question about Chrono Trigger, SMB3, FFVII....

>> No.1244690

>>1244457
Please, tell us what game YOU consider the best ever. I'm sure people here could criticize your choice to death. The point is that there isn't a "best game ever". However, the fact that so many gamers concider OoT their best game speaks loudly for its quality.

>> No.1244720

I hate saying this, but you had to be there.

>> No.1244740

It's like how plebs will say Die Hard or The Lord of the Rings is their favorite movie, they don't know anything that isn't AAA mainstream and overhyped so they just say it's their favorite because everyone else does and it is one of the more quality titles they have experienced.

>> No.1244754

>>1243821
Well when a friend of mine had rented it, and it was mesmerizing. That music, those dungeons, and hyrule field. My friend was a greedy fuck who never let me play so my dad bought me a copy and I stayed up for 3 days playing it.

>> No.1244852

>>1243821

It was innovative for its time, it's really popular, and it's a genuinely good game. There was a lot of hype for its release.

But really this >>1244740

>> No.1244913

>>1244740
but Die Hard 1 is a very important action movie and undisputably one of the best in that area.

>> No.1244956

>>1244720
kinda like FFVII

>> No.1245162

>>1244913
Yeah. And Lord of the Rings was a technical masterpiece in terms of film making. Certainly Die Hard and Lord of the Rings aren't the BEST movies out there, but they were exactly what we needed when they came out, and they changed the landscape of popular film.

>> No.1245165

>>1244913
Doesn't make it any less overrated
>>1245162
The books are the proper way to experience the story, the movies were hackjobs.

>> No.1245174

>>1245165
The books are definitely better, but they can't really be translated directly into the film medium without being massacred in some way.

That's why I referred to them being technical masterpieces. The techniques used and developed to make those films are nothing short of awe inspiring. The story, of course, pales in comparison to the rich depth of the books.

>> No.1245183

>>1243821
Nintendo laid the groundwork for all 3D games with the N64 and they still hold up.

The game had a huge scope, basically invented 3D combat that didn't suck, had huge open spaces and introduced a great time travel mechanic for gameplay and viewing the world if you fail.

P.S.: LA is the most overrated Zelda game on the internet. At some point it became cool to like it because it was the obscure one but it isn't near the best.

>> No.1245190

>>1245183
I take it you haven't played many PC titles then. Nintendo is hugely overrated simply because everyone knows who they are. Plenty of games achieved the innovations which Nintendo are primarily known for well before those Nintendo games were released, they are just not as well known.

>> No.1245224

>>1245190
Thank you telling me what they are.

I had Tomb Raider when it came out even though my pc ran it at like 2 fps. Combat is not something it excelled in and it was only autoaim shooting.

Where Nintendo always knocked it out of the park was camera control which is probably the most important thing for 3d games (outside of the thumb stick they made the standard). Mario being the most obvious but Zelda with things like z targeting.

>> No.1245257

Ocarina seems to be the one that introduces most people to the series, but the replay value is severely lacking in my opinion.

>> No.1245304

>>1243931
GRRoooooan.... Fucking hell!
I have never played Link's awakening and have been writing down a plot for a /co/mic that is, no shit, that plot to a T.
Is there anything else with a similar premiss?

>> No.1245539
File: 421 KB, 796x559, uy43bn65.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am I the only one who sees "LA" and thinks of Link in Los Angeles?

>> No.1245548

>>1245304
Final Fantasy X

>> No.1245554

>>1245548
Can you elaborate a bit more?

>> No.1245564

>>1245554
Tidus, the player character, his father, and their home world are pretty much dreams of how the world used to be at a previous point in time. Killing the final boss more or less "kills" Tidus. The sequel I think retcons this, but that game's story is a mess and I never did beat it.

>> No.1245743

>>1245564
ahh k. Yeah i think it's more the 'being stuck in a gigantic god's dream' thing that I've unintentionally ripped.

Thats always the problem with writing I guess. If you have a good idea, chances are that another 10 people have already done it, and probably better.

>> No.1245754

Awakening was to LttP what MM was to OoT. Come@me

>> No.1247578

>>1244328
I like Z2 a lot.

>> No.1247728

This was the first game I ever had when my uncles gave it to me. I played it and played it everytime, but could never get past kokiri forest. And in 2008 I beat it with the help of my brothers and uncle. Good times man. Me, my brothers, and my uncle would stay up nights just beating this game. It was so beautiful when we defeated Ganon.

>feels.jpg

>> No.1247754

OoT is good, but I really hate the trend of having the areas of the game being connected by increasingly larger central areas with very little in them.

>> No.1247779

Regardless of whether or not you feel the game is deserving of such high praise, I think the majority of us can agree that the title sequence is goddamn amazing. Best in the series and maybe in all of gaming.