[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 261 KB, 788x1050, 1385272238639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1225625 No.1225625[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How did Street Fighter go from the crown emperor of competitive gaming to a niche?

>> No.1225649

It's made by Capcom.

>> No.1225701

>>1225625
Fighting games in general did.
Maybe because your average guy likes to play CoD more than good games, I don't know.

>> No.1225705

because it focuses on one on one battles and your average gamer gets his ass beat so it's easier to play COD and be one of twenty guys.
also the difficulty curve for fighting games is really high as opposed to FPSes

>> No.1225708

Artificial difficulty generation hates losing and committing to something for several years to be good at.

>> No.1225716

>>1225625
Well, at least it's still in the top compared to other fighting games.

Americans are retarded and hate on "anime" fighters to look cool.

>> No.1225723

your assertion is not precise OP

an entire generation was born that didn't realize the games they were playing were designed to be profitable, not good

profit requires that the player's expectations of success be fulfilled consistently

So SF's influence didn't decrease. Instead, a large body of lesser players entered the arena

>> No.1225725

>>1225716

Most people I know from the competitive scene hate them because they're offense first and look like children's cartoons. Mostly because of the lack of defensive options though.

>> No.1225732

>>1225701
>>1225705
>>1225708

You people are retarded.

Fighting games went out of vogue because arcades in America died. This was happening in the late 90s, before CoD's popularity took off.

And if people are so against fighters, why has the American scene been pumped up in recent years? And not just for Street Fighter, but a ton of fighting games.

>> No.1225737

>>1225725
>because they're offense first
> Mostly because of the lack of defensive options though.

This is pretty valid. But isn't MvC also like that as well?

>and look like children's cartoons.

Which goes back to my initial point. Hardcore players aren't supposed to care about graphics or artstyle. I blame modern anime being pretty weird, but I dislike people instantly shitting on a game because it looks "anime".

Saying something is "anime" might as well be an insult nowadays.

>> No.1225753

>>1225737

I still don't understand why MvC is so popular to be honest. I think the SFIV revival got a ton of players to swap to a completely offense oriented/combo oriented game because it was hype. The scene I'm in detests the game and everyone I met at majors that plays it are retarded real life stream monsters. I think if anime games were cool that scene would play them too.

That said, I am guilty of not being able to play anime games. They almost always have a certain story and character archetypes that I can't stand. Guilty Gear is one of the slight exceptions but even then I can't really enjoy playing it with some of the crazy combo oriented reset gameplay.

>> No.1225757

>>1225732
What's the FGC increase in the US community compared to the overall increase of people playing games?

Just because it's larger, it doesn't make it a bustling, thriving community that a huge amount of those who play video games are a part of.

It's niche in comparison to the large part of game sales and games being played.

>> No.1225773

>>1225757
You're still being stupid. Fighting games, particularly Capcom efforts are turning nice profits. More people are playing now than they have in a long time.

And just because it's not making CoD numbers isn't a bad thing. For fuck's sake, you people need to learn that CoD is an anomaly. Most people probably aren't even buying the games to be competitive. Most games cannot compete with CoD, sales wise. And that's fine.

>> No.1225779

>>1225625
>Street Fighter
>niche

Are you parroting Sakurai or just being retarded in general?

>> No.1225785

because things change

>> No.1225787

>>1225773

Fighting games were selling well 09-12ish. They're back to selling very marginally again. SFIV and its 12 iterations have sopped up everything left of the scene. The only reason it seems like more people play them is because stuff is streamed. The scene right now is exactly as it was if not worse than the post Street Fighter Alpha days, if not worse.

>> No.1225790

>>1225787
>SFIV and its 12 iterations have sopped up everything left of the scene.

no it hasn't

people play games that aren't SF4

but because SF4 is more popular, you're probably going to make it seem like it's literally the only game

>> No.1225796

>>1225790

People play visual novels as well. Does that mean their scene is thriving? Read the rest of my post where I say that the entire scene top to bottom is in shambles and is at least as bad as 2000-2007. It just doesn't seem like it since people stream and play online so we can see the people who stick with the games. SFIV is to blame partially for releasing so many iterations of the same shit and many people quitting over it. I personally like it since most of those people were the typical 09er stream monster.

>> No.1225801

>>1225787
>They're back to selling very marginally again.

Because both MK9 and Injustice sold very poorly. Oh wait.

>> No.1225804

>>1225801

LOL, dude games will always sell decent if they're marketed and have an association to something well loved. Neither of those games were hits in the slightest.

>> No.1225807

>>1225796

so if it's not CoD it's not thriving

gotcha

>> No.1225810

Decline of arcades.

>> No.1225817

Previously it was the decline of arcades.
Online revived them in 2009.

Now they're dying again because:
Saturation of the market with 100s of fighters.
People moving on to where the money is (LoL, SC2, Dota, FPS)
A huge schism in the community on homegrown tournaments v. eSports.
Lots of bad FGC publicity.

>> No.1225823

>>1225807
Yes, if it's not an incredibly widespread online competitive game like Call of Duty, Battlefield, League of Legends, or DotA, it is not the "crown emperor of competitive gaming" like OP stated.

Glad to see you've listened to reason.

>> No.1225826

>>1225817
>Saturation of the market with 100s of fighters.

Please show me at least 15 current fighting games constantly being played in tournaments. Doujin games, and older versions of a current fighter do not count.

>> No.1225835

>>1225826
>Doujin games do not count

Not him, but can I ask why?

If it's popular and it's current, it's good enough, right?

>> No.1225842

>>1225835
>If it's popular and it's current, it's good enough, right?

I guess. Scratch that part then. It's not like he'll even reach 20 games when he claimed hundreds.

And it's not like 100s of FPSs did anything wrong to the genre besides becoming "pleb stuff" for some people.

>> No.1225856

>>1225826

AE
UMvC3
Injustice
MK9
SCV
TTT2
Killer Instinct
DoA5U
Persona 4A
GGXXAC+R
BB Chrono Phantasma
Virtual Fighter 5:FS

If you'd let me post doujin games and older versions, this shit could get even uglier. And these are strictly games that are played at tournaments. I could post games that are garbage and not played at a tournament level and it'd get even uglier.

>> No.1225851

>>1225823

"not crown emperor" does not equal niche, dipshit

>> No.1225865

>>1225842

Cool then.

SFIII 3S
MvC2
Melty Blood
Super Turbo
Soulcalibur II HDO
Darkstalkers Resurrection
UMK3
TvC
Melee
GGXX#Reload
2hu
etc

These are all fighters I've seen played at the tournament level THIS YEAR alone.

>> No.1225873

>>1225804
>MK has almost 4 mil sold over its lifecycle, comparable to SFIV
>Injustice has sold 1,3 mil only this year

This is going by vgchartz using both X360 and PS3 stats, so there's no telling how much MK has sold on PC (Boon said it sold alright). If this isn't "hit", I dunno what else is.

>> No.1225890

>>1225873

The 110th best selling game in the gen =/= a hit.

>> No.1225903

>>1225705

>because it focuses on one on one battles
>also the difficulty curve for fighting games is really high as opposed to FPSes

Why are fighting game fans so retarded? Your simple 2D party games are not the most hardcore shit around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPbf6ToctVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58#t=3m56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeZsKP9xkA

Fighting games are on the bottom ring of the competitive totem pole. They don't even require half of the skills of genres like arena FPS and RTS games. Call CoD shitty all you want, I'd agree with you, but don't imply CoD and FPS are synonymous. A good FPS will always be more skill-based than a good fighting game because that's just how the two genres are fundementally designed

>> No.1225910

>>1225903

FPS games have always been the bottom of the totem pole of skill. This comes from a former competitive CS1.6 and Halo player. You can way more easily grasp and perfect pointing and shooting than you can frames, setups, execution, mind games, etc. I think it is you who needs to stop being retarded.

RTS I agree with.

>> No.1225913

>>1225903
>A good FPS will always be more skill-based than a good fighting game because that's just how the two genres are fundementally designed
How can you compare the two if they are so different then? Are you sure you aren't the retarded one?

>> No.1225919
File: 1.96 MB, 400x225, duck laugh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1225910

>This comes from a former competitive CS1.6 and Halo player

>> No.1225921

>>1225913

>What do you mean apples taste better than feces? They're too different to compare!

You can measure how many variables the games have, how much of the skill is dynamic vs memorized, and what degree of precision/timing they require. The only thing fighting games can even begin to come close in is the requirement of good timing

>> No.1225924

>>1225919

Say what you want but that shit I said is fact. The only difficult FPS games were arena shooters and who plays them competitively anymore? Damn near nobody. Even the most difficult arena shooter just can't compete with the amount of information and split second reactions you need for a fighter. Unless you need to consistently hit a button in a 1/60th of a second window, know what moves are how safe/punishable across a cast of dozens, know your opponent, and execute on top of many other things as well in FPS, they're not anywhere near FGs.

>> No.1225928

>people actually responding to the obvious bait that is "my game takes more skill" not acknowledging that different things take different skills and that people are more talented in different areas

Don't respond to the retards, children.

>> No.1225930

>>1225924

Quake Live and Warsow tournaments are still a thing

>> No.1225929
File: 12 KB, 313x268, 1375768388165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1225921
>What do you mean apples taste better than feces?
>The only thing fighting games can even begin to come close in is the requirement of good timing
Thanks for confirming you are retarded.

>> No.1225934

>>1225865
>>1225856
>>1225842

>gets 20+ games
>poster disappears

Say it ain't so!

>> No.1225935

>>1225929

Next time have an argument, dumbass

>> No.1225936

When fighting games became 3D.
Street Fighter franchise tried the 3D way many times, but with mediocre results, it's like Castlevania, it gives its best in 2D, 3D denatures it, SFIV had a good reception, but even if it uses 3D graphic game camera gives the visual from a side prospective, like in a 2D game, to recreate the original feeling.

>> No.1225939

>>1225936
>When fighting games became 3D.

So pre 1995? No.

>> No.1225943

I think it might be more accurate to say that fighters still have variety, due to the continuously changing nature of the movesets

Arena games stopped being fun when explosives stopped doing full damage to the originator, and the player moved far too slowly to incorporate his position into the metagame

Which is to say, they were never truly fun

"Get the items, figure out where enemy is, try to land lucky shots without really being able to read the enemy or respond in any meaningful fashion"

By my reasoning (which could be wrong) arena games are not too slow or too simple, they are the opposite, too fast and too twitchy. Even the best players are doing a massive amount of guesswork with shots. That isn't fun or skillful, and it's not fun to watch.

>> No.1225949

>>1225930

When is the last time Quake Live and Warsaw were given a fuck about? I have legitimately never seen either on Twitch/MLG. And I see some silly ass games on there. Even Melty Blood is streamed from time to time and that is the most poverty of all games.

>> No.1225951

>>1225943

I realize that I'm sort of contradicting myself here, but the idea is cohesive. Once you spawn and identify the enemy's location, there's a combination of guesswork and inevitability to your movements. There's no skill in amazingly choosing a great direction to move. Both players do the obvious thing based on the map, and sometimes they are wrong.

With a faster movement speed, you can at least rapidly reposition yourself even with a very poor spawn.

>> No.1225956

>>1225949

>I don't care about them so it doesn't matter how skillful they are

People still play for prize money every year at Quakecon. They stream their own tournaments

>> No.1225960

>>1225956

I consider them skillful, but I sure as hell don't consider them in the RTS/FG/MOBA league of skillful.

>> No.1225962

>>1225956
I can confirm this. And I've seen plenty of Quake 3 on the frontpage of Twitch and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I think arena FPS (and hardcore PC gaming in general) is stronger in Europe. The big issue with QL right now, in my opinion, is that the game fundamentally changes when you're not playing on LAN latency, so as the game's popularity wanes it becomes exponentially harder to host a good tournament, since the good players are further and further from each other.

>> No.1225968

>>1225960

Why wouldn't you? I can understand counter-strike, halo, and call of duty, but Quake 3 is still the pinnacle of competitive action games (as opposed to strategy like RTS, which actually are much harder to compare). Whether or not it's the most marketed/advertised game doesn't matter

>> No.1225972

>>1225960
>MOBA
Don't start that shit in here. There's never been a MOBA that compares in any way to the difficulty and discretion required of the best arena FPS players.

>> No.1225976

>>1225935
Fine, since you need me to spell it out for you.
That's a stupid analogy for one. FPS and fighting games are apples and oranges, but you're going out of your way to shit all over a genre over another. Who does this?
Clearly, you don't know anything about competitive fighting games because you wouldn't have said it only requires good timing.
Get over yourself, they both take skill to play competitively.

>> No.1225980

>>1225976

>Clearly, you don't know anything about competitive fighting games because you wouldn't have said it only requires good timing.

I didn't say it only requires good timing, I said the timing aspect is the only aspect that comes close to the skill required in FPS games

>> No.1225978

MOBA?

cmon man don't troll

MOBAs were a extra casualization of the most casual RTS game ever made. Every hero has a total of about 7 things they can do.

Furthermore it's a team game, so at all times you're just gambling that your teammate is going to do the thing you're assuming that they will do.

Teamplay is another type of skill, but it's logically...reckless? Inconsistent to compare those teamplay games to single player competitive games. They overlap quite a bit, but also differ enough that they are apples and oranges.

>> No.1225983

>>1225968

Because there is far less to take into account. There isn't multiple characters or races to learn inside and out, no one frame links or crazy meta to learn. There are exploitable tricks in arena shooters but not anywhere near the amount RTS/FG/MOBA players deal with.

But really this ain't the thread for this discussion no matter how buttblasted we both are.

>> No.1225986

>>1225978

They were made to be casual. But when you see them at the tip top of the competitive spectrum there is no way you can disagree that they are incredibly difficult and super harsh games. If a decent MOBA player went up against top comp they'd get their shit pushed in seven different ways.

>> No.1225989

The discussion is being buried under a fighter vs quake argument?

If for some reason the answer to this question isn't self evident, one of these two game types is still popular, there other becomes more bland and derivative each year, losing both players and distinctiveness

FPS has potential to be great again, but we have to discard everything that half-life and quake introduced to the genre. Each step made in fps mutation has been the fighter equivalent of a marvel game. Except no core "sf" game exists anymore, except doom itself.

>> No.1225992

>>1225983

Okay, so you're talking about knowledge and memorization over skill now. I could also say fighting games don't have actual maps and item layouts and spawn times you need to memorize and the paths you need to learn within them to get where you need to be before the opponent

>> No.1225993

>>1225986
Harsh, yes. Difficult? Please, the only reason MOBA is eclipsing the older genres is the fact that the only thing really seperating the top players from pub heroes is yomi and team telepathy.

>> No.1225995

>>1225956
>>1225949

>that feel when Quake is so hardcore, they have tournaments for the movement system alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBs_lslyuY#t=55s

>> No.1225997

>>1225993

That is discounting like... so many things. Even you yourself know what you just said is bullshit. If it was all yomi and telepathy then why do the same teams/players win so often?

>> No.1226001

>>1225919
>competitive
>1.6
>halo

>> No.1226005

>>1225997

I think the obvious answer here is that we have teams of Charles Xaviers running around.

They should be putting their powers to good instead of video games!

>> No.1226009

>>1225997
Superior yomi and team telepathy.

Past a certain level there's nothing that players aren't mechanically capable of in MOBAs and even characters like Chen and Invoker are more about reading the situation right than executing the plan.

>> No.1226012

>>1226005

CHALZZZ GIT OUTTTA MAH HEEEEEED

>> No.1226017

>>1226009

So they're just guessing right over and over and winning in near landslides. Who knew that guessing was so effective!

>> No.1226018

Because the FGC never really elevated itself to "eSports," always remaining more of a community thing, while the other competitive genres (FPS/RTS) went all out with huge displays and events.

>> No.1226030

I was hoping that /vr/ would be a place to have good discussion but I can see that just like /v/ these things turn into petty Quake vs SF arguments.

>> No.1226036

>>1226017
You said it. It doesn't need to be said that MOBAs are pretty steamrolly in general, like the RTS games they were built from, and whether you're going to be useful for the first 30 minutes can be determined by the cash difference between you and your lane opponent. The cash difference is a result of a hell of a lot of little guesses.

>> No.1226040

>>1225980
FPS games are also based only on timing
see, others can also act like an ignorant fuck

>> No.1226050

>>1226040

Quench your rage, you lost already

>> No.1226057

>>1226050
I just came here though

>> No.1226076

>>1225980
>the timing aspect is the only aspect that comes close to the skill required in FPS games
What other "skills" from FPS are comparable to fighting games?

>> No.1226084

how close Quake Live is to the original Q3Arena? I have a friend that refuses to play Live saying it's not the same game movement wise
is he retarded or actually could notice some small differences?

>> No.1226095

>>1225807
Go back to /v/
>>1226030
It's because /v/ uses this as trolling grounds.

>> No.1226101

>>1226076

There's precision, but precision in fighting games is just correctly performing a practiced, static button combo onto an opponent who's trapped on a flat 2D plane, whereas precision in FPS is shooting guns with different properties in a fully 3D environment with obstacles everywhere, at a wide range of distances and speeds (both the projectile of the weapon and the acceleration of the opponent)

>> No.1226102

>>1226095
Yes, because there can't be legitimately stupid people on /vr/.

>> No.1226104

>>1226095

Thanks for telling me to go back to /v/ without elaborating on your stance.

>> No.1226106

>>1226102
No shit, I see people being stupid on /vr/, most of them come from /v/.
>>1226104
CoD has pretty much nothing to do here, once again, go the fuck back to the shithole called /v/

>> No.1226108

>>1226101

lol combos are the only thing in FGs ladies and gentlemen.

How could you be any more clueless?

>> No.1226109

>>1226106
>CoD has pretty much nothing to do here

Are you even reading this thread? I'm not even the one who introduced CoD to the equation. Thanks for your knee-jerk reaction.

>> No.1226110

>>1226108

I understand that you're offended, but you're never going to win this argument

>> No.1226115

>>1226110
>I WIN YOU LOSE NO MATTER WHAT
ok

>> No.1226119

>>1226110

You're not going to allow reason and sense to enter your brain, so you're right on this one. Now get the fuck out and go back to the Doom thread or wherever your retarded ass came from. You have been trolling this thread since like... the 9th post.

>> No.1226137

>>1226115
>>1226119

Every time I present an argument, you don't actually refute it in any way, you just get offended by it. I suspect it's because you know I'm right but you don't want me to be.

I don't even like DOOM either, the only FPS I really play any more is Quake Live. I still play some fighting games with my friends, but I'm not going to pretend they're the most hardcore shit around just because Japan and black people think they are

>> No.1226153

>>1226137
>I don't even like DOOM either
Oh wow.

Who is saying that fighting games are the most hardcore shit ever? It looks more like you got pissy because someone talked about CoD like it was the definitive FPS.

>> No.1226154

>>1226137

I have refuted your shit like 10 times and you ignore it every time.

FGs have matchups, one frame links, setups, execution heavy and gameplan heavy characters, loads of yomi and player reads, loads of twitch reactions, tons of "glitch" abuse.

Arena shooters have spawns, twitch reactions, everyone is the same, the maps are usually the same since everyone likes to play on one, and multiple weapons yet only two get used.

Got it? Or do I have to say this same thing 12 more times?

>> No.1226197

>>1226154

>FGs have matchups, one frame links, setups, execution heavy and gameplan heavy characters, loads of yomi and player reads, loads of twitch reactions, tons of "glitch" abuse.

You're overblowing things here, but you basically mean to say that fighting games give players fundementally different characters which can lead to a lack of balance, and everything else is just bullshit that's in every game ever but you feel that fighting games for some reason take more for no reason.

>arena shooters, everyone is the same. the maps are usually the same

I don't think you realize that the fact that everyone is the same means everyone is balanced. Everyone has the same physics and tools to work with, and a match comes down purely to skill, not who used a better/more suited character against another character. To claim all maps are the same is ridiculous, but I can see why you would underplay the importance of maps because an arena shooter's map selection brings the highest level of strategy that a non-strategy game can have. Every map in a fighting game is the same flat arena with a different cosmetic background, but in an arena shooter it determines everything. How many items are on the map depending on its size, what positions they're in, jump pads and vantage points, knowledge (and ability of execution) of special movement points like bridge to rail on campgrounds/DM6, and of course you need to have great movement skill to even utilize the potential advantages.

That alone is almost enough to claim it's more skillful than fighting games, but then you get down to weapon aim and prediction (which in a fighting game is quite simple if you know all of the opponent character's moves, while in an arena FPS is so complex that you have to trace an opponent through the map mentally and also rely on an extra sense, sound)

>> No.1226213

>>1226197

I am saying that pros usually play on 1-2 maps with 1-2 weapons. And the balance thing does not come down to skill whatsoever. It comes down to twitch reactions and nothing else. That isn't skill that is a test to see who has better reaction time and nothing else.

I am that when I act as ignorant as you that you can actually respond to claims. Now for real, fuck off. This so absolutely the most retarded argument I've ever had and you just keep going. Keep acting like FPS games are huge leaps of strategy and skill and discounting everything else because you don't know shit about it. Ya know that sounds like something /v/ would appreciate.

>> No.1226219

>>1226197
>fighting games give players fundementally different characters which can lead to a lack of balance
Well, yeah. There is more variety with different characters, so some are going to be stronger, weaker, faster, or slower than others. You have to adapt to a different matchup and figure out a plan to overcome them. What's wrong with that?
>and everything else is just bullshit that's in every game ever
Like what?

>> No.1226221

>>1226219

Just abandon the thread dude. I know these types of debaters. They will only debate the side they know as fact and discount anything they don't know about with claims of second hand accounts and information.

Let the thread die and maybe this dude will go back to Quake Live #1 rated competitive strategy game ever.

>> No.1226228
File: 1.89 MB, 327x218, air rocket.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1226213

>I am saying that pros usually play on 1-2 maps with 1-2 weapons

There's atleast 10 maps used very regularly in the Quake Live tournament scene, if a pro doesn't practice on all of them then he has no chance of winning when he's put on that map. The THREE main weapons anybody uses are rocket launcher, rail gun, and lightning gun, all fundementally different weapons, but a guy who can't use plasma gun, shotgun, or even machine gun situationally is at a big disadvantage (and of course the intuition of when to use those weapons is another skill)

>twitch reactions

A twitch reaction in a fighting game is a quick button press. A twitch reaction in an FPS could be an extremely precise shot. Pic related

>Keep acting like FPS games are huge leaps of strategy and skill and discounting everything else because you don't know shit about it

I'm not discounting fighting games entirely, and I'd say top fighting games definitely take more skill than something like CoD or Halo, but top FPS vs top Fighter, nobody who has a clue about either would ever say the fighting game is even in the same leaague

>> No.1226235

>>1226197
>but you basically mean to say
>LET ME TELL YOU WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN
Okay faggot.

>> No.1227569
File: 82 KB, 1010x584, hairychinkballs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Whether it's discussing what's the best example of a genre or how bad a certain company's business practices are...

Why is it that fighting game arguments are the most drawn-out and vitriolic of any?

I've seen cut vs. uncut threads with more civility.
/pol/ is more level-headed.
But any time fighters are brought up, people just plain lose their shit.

Why, /vr/? Why?

>> No.1227572

>>1227569
>/pol/ is more level-headed.
lol

This thread went to shit when the FPSfag came, though, not the fighting game talk.

>> No.1227589
File: 63 KB, 434x618, 1376939054160.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1227572
Quite the detailed rebuttal, there.

>> No.1227593

>>1227589

Yes, let's type up three paragraphs to describe something that may accurately be summed up in a single sentence.

>> No.1227598

>>1227593
Ok, have fun with that.

>> No.1227613
File: 432 KB, 1397x644, 1384418884248.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1227569
>But any time fighters are brought up, people just plain lose their shit.
>Why, /vr/? Why?

Community fragmentation, learning curve, elite assholes, the geographical nightmare that is the U.S., the death of arcades.

There are a lot of reasons.

>> No.1227650

>>1225737
Well, modern anime is pretty shit. Most of the time it's just contentless shows featuring cute girls doing jackshit, because otakus need as much contact with women as they can get.

Ruined the genre.

>> No.1227654

>>1225737
Oh, and play the Last Blade series. It's an SNK masterpiece.

>> No.1227663
File: 486 KB, 640x480, [HnG-Otoko] Sakigake!! Otokojuku 09 (DVD) [FBB8E610].mkv_snapshot_05.48_[2013.08.17_18.35.25].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1227650
Are you really doing this? If you want to complain about "modern" anime, go to /a/, not /vr/.

>> No.1227667

>>1225649
>countless SFIV updates
>MvC3
>Street Fighter x Tekken
>No CvS3
Capcom is dead.

>> No.1227668

>>1225732
>Fighting games went out of vogue because arcades in America died. This was happening in the late 90s, before CoD's popularity took off.
This and home gaming systems at the time if it happening couldn't handle a lot of the fighting games.

Marvel VS Capcom 1, Street Fighter 3, all SNK games, etc, etc. None of these could be played properly at home for years, basically till the Dreamcast.

That gap of games being arcade only kinda killed fighting games for a while.

>> No.1227669

>>1227663
Yes. I am doing this. Deal with it.

>> No.1227672

>>1227669
Ok, retard.

>> No.1230116
File: 670 KB, 1296x1944, IMG_8608b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1227668
This is what the last real arcade in SoCal is like now. Rows of PS3/360 setups, BenQ LCD monitors, and custom arcade sticks. Not sure how I feel about it.

>> No.1230180

>>1227668
I'd hate to break it to you but that was a problem long before that console generation. Arcade hardware was typically more powerful than home consoles, excluding neo geo which no one had. The fighting game genre didn't even gain popularity in the console market until the days of snes and genesis. (I don't count wrestlers as typical fighters.) There were some okay ports for the saturn but most PSX games weren't arcade perfect because of loading times. Nintendo's option at the time really were dismal, churned out intermediate 3d games like "fighters destiny" and "mace: the dark ages".

CPS2 games didn't even have good translations until the 6th gen.

>> No.1230260
File: 611 KB, 900x900, q (12).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fighting games were never an emperor. It's just that all other competitive vidya communities were as bad or even worse back in 90s.

And the moment Carmack gave his ferrari away for that quake tournament was the moment fighting games lost any chances to be called "number one competitive game".

Quake was bigger. Starcraft was bigger. CS1.6 was bigger. Etc.

Japan is obvious exception

>> No.1231350

>>1230260
i'll punch your tits bitch

>> No.1231751

I think Street Fighter IV did pretty okay.

Overall though I feel like juggling and dial a combo killed fighting games.

>> No.1231776

>>1227569
>Why is it that fighting game arguments are the most drawn-out and vitriolic of any?

Because the fighting game community is full of really unbearable people?

>> No.1231781
File: 214 KB, 800x600, I wish I was never Björn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to get into fighting games but none of my friends like them and everytime I try to get better through online play my fights end up like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V42UhZsei6k