[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 507 KB, 500x709, 1363736286237.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1218619 No.1218619[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

/vr/ Sonic is better than /vr/ Mario. Here's why.

But first, while I believe the above statement is true in general, for the sake of objectivity for this post I am going to be referring to 2 specific games: Sonic 3&Knuckles vs Super Mario World. Greentext for points relating to Sonic, normaltext for Mario. Let's begin (in no particular order):

>3 fully developed playable characters with completely different sprite sheets (6 if you count super/hyper transformations, which you should)
Basically 1 playable character. "Luigi" is little more than a cheap palette swap with slightly different handling.

>Unique special abilities for each character in addition to abilities granted from items.
No true special abilities, gimmicky item mechanic implemented instead, causing both characters to not only look the same but play the same.

>Complex, multiple branching paths and routes through the levels. Highly detailed levels with tons of secrets and hidden stuff you didn't even know existed. Very high replay value.
Relatively simple, linear levels with a few obvious secrets that once you inevitably stumble upon them that's all there is to know. Average replay value.

>3 types of mini-games in the form of bonus stages, plus 1 totally separate mode of play in the special stages that consists of 14 unique levels by itself.
Nothing. Unless you count "hidden stages" but that's not really fair because the gameplay in those areas is exactly the same as in the rest of the game.

>Superior multiplayer capability. Drop in, drop out simultaneous 2player mode by playing as Sonic and Tails. There is also splitscreen versus mode. 6+ save slots.
Dated, pedantic, boring "take turns playing" 2player mode that nobody likes and nothing more.

1/2

>> No.1218626
File: 8 KB, 256x264, 1384853344576.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Better, more detailed graphics despite the Genesis being able to display far less colors than the SNES
Simple, bland graphics that look like they just hurried up to finish production on time

>Features an original, in-depth storyline told through cinematic cutscenes which was way ahead of its time
Save the princess. Wow. How creative (and sexist). Also no cutscenes.

>Truly outstanding music soundtrack with many catchy, technically impressive tunes obviously created by professionals who have studied music extensively, including Micheal Jackson.
A few catchy tunes here and there, nothing really noteworthy.

>Cutting edge game designed specifically to take full advantage of the then state of the art Genesis hardware.
Essentially just a rehash of a game from the previous generation, which was originally based on arcade games from even more generations ago.

>Even after 20 years there is still nothing else quite like /vr/ Sonic. Few games have even attempted, and none have succeeded.
Countless Mario clones shitting up the video game market for decades.

There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Basically Sonic is better than Mario is virtually every way.

>> No.1218627

I'd rather play /vr/ mario than sonic. mario is more fun to play.
/thread

>> No.1218634

aren't you the guy who also thinks sonic is better than DKC?

yeah, no.

>> No.1218635

>>1218627
>mario is more fun to play.
To each his own but personally I will never understand why some people believe this.

Anyway, even if you find it more fun to play, you should still be able to take a step back and critically evaluate both games overall. Like I have just done, and I don't see how any rational adult could come to any other conclusion than Sonic is objectively a better game even if it's not their personal favorite.

>> No.1218638

>Using Sonic Shit and Chuckles
>instead of the superior Sonic 2

>> No.1218642

>>1218634
>aren't you the guy who also thinks sonic is better than DKC?
>the
Not him but I can attest that there's more than just 1 of him

>>1218638
Go derail some other thread perhaps?

>> No.1218643

>>1218635
>To each his own but personally I will never understand why some people believe this.
then you will forever be in the minority, and that's not nostalgia talking since i only played either of them since about 5-6 years ago

>> No.1218646

>>1218643
Plebs.
Plebs everywhere.

>> No.1218649

Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD are my favorite 2D platformers ever and this is an awful thread.

>> No.1218650

>>1218635
i dislike the momentum physics and the GO FAST FOR A FEW SECONDS THEN COME TO A STOP AT EVERY OBSTACLE gameplay is kinda shit.
the games just gave me a headache and felt shallow to my 8 year old self and still do now.
tldr sonic is kinda shit

>> No.1218651

>>1218649
>this is an awful thread.

What, why?

>> No.1218658

>>1218656
Yeah, no.

Eat shit.

>> No.1218656

Troll thread

Report, ignore, hide