[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 44 KB, 233x224, Zorro.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1214938 No.1214938[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Can we have a unpopular opinions thread?

>> No.1214940

I hate Final Fantasy 7.

>> No.1214941

>>1214938
how about you start one?

>> No.1214945

>>1214940
I hate every Final Fantasy game.

>> No.1214942

I dislike 16-bit era. I just can't stand it.

>> No.1214943

I hate OP for being a furfag.

Oh wait, unpopular...

>> No.1214950

X6 is one of the best games in the X series and much better than X5.

>> No.1214957

>>1214942
I know what you mean. It just feels "cheap". Like it doesn't have proper finish or something.

>> No.1214962

I hate SNES music

>> No.1214968

99% of Playstation RPGs suck.

>> No.1214984

>>1214942
>>1214962
You're entitled to your opinions, but I think you're stupid for having them.

>> No.1214989

>>1214938
I think bestiality and suicide should be legalized.

>> No.1214990
File: 18 KB, 320x224, chakan4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I actually like Sega Genesis games made by western developers. Sometimes a great concept can win over bad execution, and you'll still be playing because there's a good game in there somewhere.

>> No.1214994

>>1214962
I think NES sounds amazing because the soundchip is an instrument in its own right. SNES is just shitty samples or something. You can't make it sound alive.

>> No.1214996
File: 13 KB, 235x222, 1384799263050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I hate the N64 controller, it has a fucking terrible layout, and looks as if it were designed by a madman.
>I hate the N64
>I hate Earthbound

No, I'm not joking.

>> No.1215002

Super Smash Bros. is better than standard fighting games. All of the moves are intuitive and natural, and all "combos" are de facto and energe from the game's design. In standard fighting games, some of the moves, especially 'special' ones, are just arbitrary. The combos, especially in 2D fighting games, are a series of arbitrary inputs that must be memorized and are not at all a fluid part of the game. You can't master a character's moveset without reading it and memorizing it, whereas in Smash you don't even have to recall how to execute an attack because they're all tied to direction, attack type, and air vs ground.

>> No.1215004

The Banjo games have terrible sound design. It's TOO cartoony. Especially the music. I can imagine hell being Banjo's OST being played really loud with soundbites of retarded yokel mumblinh being blasted randomly over it.

>> No.1215005

I think Super Mario World is the worst console Mario game.

I think A Link to the Past is the second worst 2D Zelda game, just ahead of Adventure of Link.

Final Fantasy VI is a broken mess of a game, and Woolsey's translation is god-awful.

Final Fantasy VII and Ocarina of Time are the best games of their respective series hands-down, and everyone who disagrees is either attached to a different tile for sentimental or personal reasons, or is trying too hard not to acknowledge it.

Kirby games are far too easy to be enjoyable, no matter how good the music is or endearing the visuals are.

The DKC games are only slightly above average.

Castlevania IV is the weakest console Castlevania game next to II.

>> No.1215006

>>1214962
>>1214994
I know I won't be won't swaying anyone, but doesn't anyone get a kick out of the SNES trying to be an orchestra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsefax53YP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOM0NE7jWxE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV3ajPuY-YU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEb8BiZ6C9w

>> No.1215015

>>1215005
I don't see how anyone can like Ocarina more than Zelda 1.
But I don't accuse people who diaagree of only liking OoT for sentimental reasons because I'm not retarded

>> No.1215018

>>1214996
I didn't know liking the N64 controller was a popular opinion.

I like Earthbound but think its grossly overrated and not that well of a game.

I hate chip tunes as a music genre because it plays heavily on nostalgia and it focuses on "90's kids".

>> No.1215058

>>1215002
I couldn't agree more.

>> No.1215089

everquest was perfect

>> No.1215178

>>1214962
It's usually pretty shit, but the good stuff is really fucking good.
Same with the Genesis.
I sort of miss when you could easily HEAR the difference in effort a developer had made. You could usually count on a good sounding game looking, running, and playing pretty well as well.
Not always true of course. Some of Ocean's games are a good example of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDBGDjE_BA

>> No.1215197
File: 995 KB, 500x281, 1374484351200.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hate how a majority of those games that deserve a form of digital preservation and open availability, are only selected by their popularity and more so by the company's desire just to hook sales for the latest in the series. Don't get me wrong, I know in some cases thats just how it works, but If it wasn't for the growing community of emulation in all fields, a lot of the games we all tend to bring up discussions about would eventually fade away and wouldn't be hashed out to work so others who never got the chance to play could enjoy them.

An example of a game I have yet to see available in digital format other than ISO and deserves to be available in another form or even a collection:

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne -- PS1

There are a good deal of games that I could mention that fit this bill but they're not welcome on /vr/ because they're onPS2 and Original Xbox

>> No.1215210

FFV is one of the worst in the series

>> No.1215224

The Atari 2609 doesn't have any good games.

>> No.1215227

>>1215224
2600*

>> No.1215272

>>1214994
>You can't make it sound alive
Negro please. Feast your ears on fine SNES music from Secret of Evermore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apavnC1aQqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcPHAMfaCE

>> No.1215438
File: 64 KB, 360x513, castlevania-ii-simons-quest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like Simon's Quest and the game's clues aren't impossible to figure out. The translation is terrible but it's consistent in how it conveys a general idea. You quickly learn to pick up on the gist of the message despite grammar and word choice that's complete nonsense.

"Hit Deborah Cliff with your head to make a hole" -> it's sheer so you can't do it Mario style -> "making a hole" or "finding a path through" can translate to the same thing -> "hit your head" can also translate the same way as "making contact with your head" -> crouching is the only thing you can do that puts Simon's face in actual contact with the cliff -> HOLY SHIT TORNADO

Also I can't stand the Mother series.

>> No.1215495

>>1215197
>The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Its honestly a really mediocre game though. I wouldn't replay it unless i wanted to 100% it and im not he kind of guy who cares about doing that.

>> No.1215513

Final Fantasy 1 is a broken mess that is only enjoyable through nostalgia.
There are no good Dragon Quest games. Grinding isn't fun and no you can not get through them without grinding by "using strategy."
Final Fantasy 6 is easy-mode and boring.
Most of Ocarina of Time was forgettable.
The "official" Zelda canon is a bunch of hacked together shit based on fan speculation. Nintendo never had any more of an internal official canon penned than some very general notes about the creation of the the world and some other things.

>> No.1215517

>>1215513
Also, the opera scene in FF6 is absolutely terrible and cringe-inducing. How anyone can find that scene legitimately emotional is far beyond me.

>> No.1215521

>>1214989
I'm not really that into beast, but I agree. It's a victimless crime.

>> No.1215528

>>1215197
I have that game. I admit I don't really know anything about CD-based formats, so what's wrong with ISO?

>> No.1215564
File: 196 KB, 653x429, 1363036776845.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1215517

>> No.1215636

>>1214962
I actually do too. A lot of SNES games have music that sounds really muffled. There are exceptions though, hell Yoshi's Island is probably my all time favorite video game soundtrack.

>> No.1215656

I don't like how since this board is exclusively within the realm of retro games that any legitimate problems with certain games can be handwaved as 'old school game design mentality' even though some games are legitimately poorly designed even within the realm of the time they where made in. This isn't all of the time but its not infrequent.

>> No.1215715

>>1215521
>It's a victimless crime.
immature sociopath confirmed

when a family member decides to selfishly end it in a place that is shared by other people, there are victims. you can go on about how it isn't harming anyone, but a lot of people have seen and been through worse things and are still fighting for better days

>>1215656
>I don't like how since this board is exclusively within the realm of retro games that any legitimate problems with certain games can be handwaved as 'old school game design mentality'
I think it really depends on how much of an annoyance the problem in the game is. Some folks are really quick to shit on an old game meanwhile back in the day, you couldn't emulate something and dismiss it minutes later.

My unpopular opinion
Gamers are entitled as fuck. I hate when people complain about the difficulty of a game, if you're gonna whine, just don't even talk. Saying it's hard is fine, but calling it UNFAIR BULLSHIT will make me not want to listen to you.

>> No.1215729

>>1215656
>I don't like how since this board is exclusively within the realm of retro games that any legitimate problems with certain games can be handwaved as 'old school game design mentality' even though some games are legitimately poorly designed
Because for every legitimate complaint there's dozens of babies bawling about walljumping in Super Metroid or similar things.

Modern games are for the most part very undemanding of players and as a result people who have no experience with older games are quick to resort to shouting "it's badly designed take off your nostalgia goggles" instead of admitting to themselves that they might actually have to get good.

>> No.1215741
File: 22 KB, 407x342, cosbyahegao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A lot of old western Amiga-esqe arcade/action games of the 80s' & 90's are mediocre at best, godawful at worst. Those bland-looking platformers with boring level design, slippery controls, and shitty boss fights. They often spend more time on the over-detailed graphics and music. There are a few decent ones like the first DKC games & Soccer Kid but the bad far outweighs the good imo.

Euroshmups suck too.

Amiga & C64 games on average are shit and inferior to their Japanese contemporaries on platforms like the MSX & Sharp X68000 machines. The latter two system's library put the top-rated Amiga & C64 games to shame.

I fucking hate Working Designs / Woosley-esqe style localizations and have no nostalgia for them at all.

Super Turrican 1 & Mega Turrican are the only good games in the entire series. The first two have aged like milk.

>>1215197
>I hate how a majority of those games that deserve a form of digital preservation and open availability, are only selected by their popularity and more so by the company's desire just to hook sales for the latest in the series. Don't get me wrong, I know in some cases thats just how it works, but If it wasn't for the growing community of emulation in all fields, a lot of the games we all tend to bring up discussions about would eventually fade away and wouldn't be hashed out to work so others who never got the chance to play could enjoy them.
Fucking this
>Sega Vintage Collection comes out
>It's the three same fucking games that's been ported over a million times already
>No ports of the superior PS2 Sega Ages collections
A-At least M2 worked on Sega Vintage Collection and not Backbone.

>> No.1215745

>>1215002
seriously smash bros. is one of the only fighting series that isnt uncomfortably stiff and frustratingly complicated

>> No.1215757

I would be happy if all future mario and zelda games had the same look and feel of SM64 and OoT. they could add different levels dungeons etc, a few new features like MM did with Oot is ok but don't push it. they would all have new stories of course. To me less is more, the push for more detail in games now gives me nothing. I guess i just like the N64 a lot.

>> No.1215761

The N64 is a shitty system. It has very few games worth playing, and everything on it looks like garbage.

None of the 3D Zelda games are fun. The camera is always infuriating, and the art direction is terrible. Blonde Link sucks for attracting a horde of obnoxious female fans to the series.

The only good post-VI Final Fantasy is IX. The others are for faggots, retards, and hambeasts.

>> No.1215768

>>1215715
He literally said in his post that he was talking about beast, not suicide

>> No.1215771

Zelda 1 is the second best game in the series after pairing the Oracles games at #1
Link's Awakening has aged terribly
Ocarina of Time just as much so

Super Metroid is revolutionary in its design and still holds up today but is much clunkier and frustrating more often than Fusion or Zero Mission

FFVI is garbage and FFV is easily among the best in the series, sorely underrated
FFIV isn't as boring as VI but it's also incredibly overpraised

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 is the most mechanically indepth game in the series alongside Radiant Dawn and is only challenging through clever design

The Paper Mario series and SMRPG are inferior to Mario and Luigi

>> No.1215823

Game Boy Color, aside from few hidden gems, JRPG's and first party titles, is a completely shit software-wise.

Super Mario World is one of the worst mainline Mario titles.

Whoever thinks that Castle of Illusion is an essential Mega Drive/Genesis platformer is delusional. SEGA Master System version, on the other hand, is a really good game.

>> No.1215835

Mansion of Hidden Souls on SegaCD is a good game. It might be short but it has a really good eerie atmosphere. Everybody else says it sucks.
I however dislike the Saturn version.

SMB2-USA is the real SMB2. SMB2j on the other hand is a terrible game and the beginning of shameless nintendo rehash.

FF8 is the best FF, both story wise and gameplay wise.

RE3 is the best RE.

No matter how SH fanatics want to pull it off, SH1 is an AITD/RE clone. A good one, but still one.

>> No.1215883

I hate fun

>> No.1215907

lunar and gunstar heroes are tremendously overrated and dull

>> No.1215908

>>1215907

they are popular in small circles for reasons i do not understand, what i meant to say

>> No.1215915

>>1214994
>thing that makes sound is an instrument
>other thing that also makes sound is not an instrument.
That's so fucking stupid I'm surprised it's not more popular.

>> No.1215916

>>1214994

i hate gaussian sound filtering

thankfully it can be turned off in (some) emulators

>> No.1215918

chrono trigger is not that good

the battle system is unoriginal, the music isn't -that- great, and the story lacks a purposeful motif

>> No.1215934

I purposely ruin boards by bringing in cancerous content from other boards

>> No.1215941

>>1215761
>Blonde Link sucks for attracting a horde of obnoxious female fans to the series.
go to bed tom preston

>> No.1215947

>>1215934

that's a fact and not an opinion

>> No.1215950
File: 57 KB, 507x500, ShenmueDCbox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shenmue was mediocre.

>> No.1215952

>>1215950
I've never heard it wasn't

>> No.1215951

>>1215947
Facts are just opinions people agree on.

>> No.1215956

>>1215951

you hate math apparently

>> No.1215958

sega saturn is the best sega console

>> No.1215959

>>1214996
>I hate Earthbound
While I like Earthbound I can understand why people would hate it: it's simplistic as fuck, the mechanics are generic and you don't have any control over your character's growth, basically meaning they will always turn out the same in every playthrough, the only thing that you could ever change are your items and that's it.

The only reason I like it is for the story and characters, but the game doesn't have much going for it aside from that.

>> No.1215963

>>1215959

it is meant to be satire

the sound effects and overall sound design is very good

>> No.1215982

>>1215963
>it is meant to be satire
>But is a comical game! is okay to use cliches as long as you turn your eyes in irony

>> No.1215985

>>1215958
muh nigga

>> No.1215987

The SNES had beautiful sound when it was its own instrument rather than trying to imitate real ones. Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island are the best examples. Many great compositions, in my opinion, were wasted in bad timbre. MMX is a great example. It's true for the Genesis as well. All that genesis shovelware that tried to sound like electric guitars was awful, but in the hands of people who actually know how to use it it was awesome

>> No.1216028

>>1215982

...that is by definition satire

it is also a kid's game you pompous moron

>> No.1216172

RetroArch is just "the cool new thing" and everybody will drop it for the next "in" emulator in a few years. There's no reason to use it and ZSNES works just fine.

>> No.1216189

>>1214943
THIS BUTTBLAST
>THIS BUTTBLAST
THIS BUTTBLAST
>THIS BUTTBLAST

>> No.1216196

>>1215005

> I think Super Mario World is the worst console Mario game.

I agree. I really don't like that game much at all and i hate that every modern Mario game tries to copy it.

> Kirby games are far too easy to be enjoyable, no matter how good the music is or endearing the visuals are.

I agree again. While the NES game is at least a little bit challenging, Kirby Super Star is completely ruined by its low difficulty. Why does that block button exist? It's just silly. I guess yiu can play without using it, but that doesn't justify it

>> No.1216203

>>1216196
>Kirby Super Star is completely ruined by its low difficulty. Why does that block button exist? It's just silly. I guess yiu can play without using it, but that doesn't justify it
Because it's a game for CHILDREN, not adults who have been playing video games their whole lives.