[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 406 KB, 970x546, EarthBound-Ness-in-Onett.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1214825 No.1214825 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm playing Earthbound for the first time - currently at Threed - and it's been okay but I'm not crazy about it. Does the game get any better from here? I love the atmosphere but really not crazy about the gameplay.

>> No.1214834

Its just more of the same all the way till the end.

>> No.1214841

The gameplay does get better once you have more characters and more skills to work with. And the game itself gets better and better near the end

>> No.1214887

>>1214825
Yes. You're going to have fun in Moonside.

>> No.1214905

You get more characters to work with but the gameplay largely remains the same.

It does stay interesting throughout though.

>> No.1214923

If you didn't play it as a kid or don't completely buy into it's modern reputation, you might be bored.

>> No.1214929

>>1214825
>>1214834
>>1214923
Thank god i'm not the only one who thinks this way.
I've got some tight goggles on for SNES RPGs, but even I found Earthbound pretty mediocre at best.

>> No.1214937

>>1214825
I also played this recently, so I need to ask, is there any specific reason why snakes, and only snakes, died without any combat whatsoever? I would just walk into them, the screen would go black, then it would go back to the overworld to give me experience.

>> No.1214959

>>1214937
I forget the exact formula, but once your party's average level and attack power exceed the average of your enemy's(ies'), you automatically win, no battle necessary. Since you've only got Ness for the first part of the game, you can auto-kill snakes and dogs and crows fairly early on.

>> No.1214995

Wait until the after the Winters stuff when Jeff joins your party, that's when the pace starts to pick up. If by the end of Fourside you're not enjoying yourself, put it down; it isn't for you.

EarthBound is one of those games that resonates with certain types of people, whereas it's completely lost on others. It just depends on what kind of person you are.

>> No.1215010

>>1214995

I don't think it's fair to say that it's "lost" on those who dislike it. Maybe they love the atmosphere and style but can't get into the RPG gameplay.

>> No.1215021

>>1214825
stop playing then
now get out

>> No.1215091

it was the most underrated game of its time

now its nothing special

>> No.1215101

>>1215091

>most underrated game
>now its nothing special

what's it like having such shit opinions and taste?

>> No.1215298

It was my first time playing it january this year, and I was bored around this part. But after Saturn Valley the game really got at me and I couldn't stop playing. It is my favorite SNES RPG now.

>> No.1215448

>>1214995
I would sort of agree. I think people should give it a chance at the very least.
It's one of those games you play for the story not the gameplay.

>> No.1215702

I just started playing this year and I'm enjoying it for the most part. Probably more for the story and wackyness really, I find it really hard to get into RPG's these days. I got up to the desert and haven't played in about 4 months.

>> No.1216137

I'd say keep playing for the atmosphere, it's the reason why most people like the game anyway.

The gameplay is the most common complaint. Does that mean /vr/ hates Dragon Quest?

>> No.1216152

>>1214937
Who goes first in combat is decided by which direction you and the enemy are facing when you engage combat.
If the enemy is facing away from you (like when they run away because you're too high level), the screen will (usually) go green and you get a surprise round.
The game then calculates a surprise round where all your characters auto-attack, and if it kills the enemy before it gets a turn in that round it just skips the combat screen and brings you to the victory screen without bothering you with the actual combat.

>> No.1218854

Personally, OP, I'm a huge fan of the game.
Have been since I played it when I was like, idk, 10 or some shit.

But honestly, even then the gameplay was frustrating.
For me, it's all about the story and atmosphere.
That said, I never hated the gameplay. But I can easily see how it can be a nuisance.

If you're playing on an emulator, I believe there's an easy patch to help ease through the game.

>> No.1218896

That's how the Earthbound experience goes.
It's the brainchild of a writer, not a game designer.
So the writing is top-notch, but the gameplay isn't.

>> No.1220305

>>1214825
Why do people have such trouble understanding the past? Is it because they are young (under 15)?? You hear people comment on retro youtube videos like they are suppossed to fit in today. Havent you heard of time?? We are living in a society that is constantly changing, moving.. People get bored and want more.. more pleasure etc.. Our society is meglomanic.. We are basically moving towards what people collectively want and it happens slowly because there are all these opposing forces that must be satisfied.. sort of like haggling.. what was once good has been built upon and improved and the original looks very plain.. thats what happens.. This game was once incredible. Everyone thought that.. not just one persons opinion.. lots of movies where like that too.. it was general public opinion.. most people agreed.

>> No.1220352

>>1216137
I have the feeling hardly anyone on /vr/ has ever played DQ.

>> No.1220360

>>1220305
Did you copy this from a Youtube comment or something? It's pretty funny.

>> No.1220584

>>1214825
>not crazy about the gameplay
I suggest you continue to stay away from turn-based RPGs.