[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 650 KB, 500x399, 1356199169123.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1204980 No.1204980 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/, I'm not usually a poster on this board, so please excuse me if what I'm asking isn't appreciated here.

Basically, I want to get back to my gaming roots. However, all of my older consoles have left the household due to moves, replacement, breaking, etc, and now all I have is a PS3. I intend to rectify that by getting hardware to be able to play all of the Nintendo games from my childhood.

What is the best way to go about this? I've heard that the Wii U has a good virtual console library, but I've also heard that, if hacked, the Wii is able to basically play any games from the past generation I would desire. PC emulation isn't an option, and I don't have the space for multiple genuine consoles right now.

Is there anyone else that uses a more recent console to play older games? Which is the most convenient?

>> No.1204986

Android is easiest.

If you get a tablet with HDMI out and a bluetooth controller of some kind (I prefer dualshock 3), you have almost every system talked about on here at your discretion as well as any new android games (LOL) you may want to play.

>> No.1204993

wii works well, you need computer access to get the files though. the classic controller works well for it. Nicholas residence

>> No.1204997

>>1204980
Getting a Wii with Homebrew Channel is probably your best bet. Everything you need to know should be in this wiki if you want to go that route.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Main_Page

>> No.1205012

wii u's wii menu can be hacked btw, and you can stream homebrew to the gamepad

>emulators on gamepad in bed with headphones on

maximum fucking comfy

>> No.1205016
File: 11 KB, 448x648, 1371325277850.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1204993

Thanks. I have computer access, so that isn't as big of an issue. I just like playing these games on a console for the feel of it, you know?

>>1204997

Thanks for the link. Do you know how many consoles can I emulate with it?

>>1205012

Just as hackable as a Wii?

Do I have to worry about firmware updates or anything with these hacks?

>> No.1205015

>>1204980
what game is that? I've played Lin's awakening numerous times but I don't remember this part/

>> No.1205025

>>1205016
>Just as hackable as a Wii?

>Do I have to worry about firmware updates or anything with these hacks?

Yes, but if you're installing channels you need to find the vWii version. And no, so far nintendo does not give a fuck about the vWii in updates

actually no, they seem to support it in some weird way, considering the "all wii mode gets streamed to the gamepad" update came out it's been fucking killer

playing psx on a wii u gamepad is kinda surreal though

>> No.1205024

>>1205016
You should be able to do anything 4th Generation and older with no problems and I had no problems with GBA emulation. The only 5th Gen console I've tried out was a Playstation emulator, and it worked alright.

>>1205015
That's either Oracle of Seasons or Oracle of Ages for the GBC.