[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 64 KB, 500x349, Mario_Golf_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1197612 No.1197612[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here into Mario Golf? It's a shockingly great game, addictive, but damn is it hard. Or maybe I'm just bad. But having to take into account the wind, rain, angles, draws and fades, makes it tough, plus the computer plays really well when trying to get the character.

>> No.1197618

Love it. Grew up playing it, and the music gets me all nostalgic. Just a fun, comfy game to play. Though some of the various generic humans are kind of out of place.

>> No.1197617

I remember wanting to rent this SO bad as a kid and I have no idea why. I went to 3 different Blockbusters to see if they had it the day it was released. I didn't play golf and I didn't know a thing about the game.

Needless to say I was god awful.

For some weird reason I always wanted to return to it though. I guess the aesthetics are just that gorgeous.

>> No.1197692

i could never get how the draws or fades work

>> No.1197829

>>1197617

I learned everything I know about golf from this game. And yes the game is gorgeous....that yoshi island is a paradise

>> No.1197837

love this game

i got a used copy with everything already onlocked

good thing cause i'd never be able to do it on my own

i usually play as metal mario

>> No.1198271

I used to be the British record holder for some of the speed golf courses in N64 magazine including the final course. No doubt some SpeedRunner could destroy my times nowadays and there's ways of destroying the game using stat boosted Transfer Pak characters, but goddamn I was proud as fuck for a while. That game was too good and I played it endlessly.

Though if you are wondering, the old strategy in the pre-widespread internet days was basically to unlock Maple and just use her for speed golf as she had no Draw/Fade on her swings, Had a standard drive of 240 Yards and a powershot that could go 270/280 Yards. You wanted control over your shots, especially in speed golf and going for Bowser, DK or Metal Mario was just asking for shots to go all over the place. Especially if the weather turned bad (A Rain hole with 20mph wind meant you could kiss goodbye to your round if you picked Bowser)

>> No.1198348

>>1198271

Wow, that is fascinating. It's crazy to see people be really amazing at one of my favorite games, that doesn't get talked about often.

I often think that Maple seems like the best character, for any mode because of her straight shot and somewhat long drive. I was never quite able to master the draw or fade shot. It seems like only certain clubs are affected, like the drivers but not the smaller irons.

And it always seemed like bad weather conditions were incredibly common in the game, as if every other hole had bad wind and rain. That's probably where most of the difficulty comes from.

>> No.1198371
File: 21 KB, 278x473, maple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1198348

Maple was the key choice because she simply had more control over her shots and placement. The ball usually went where you wanted it to go with her shots. You could hit 300 yards plus with Bowser but a soft breeze could fuck up your placement. You needed control and you could usually get quicker onto the green with Maple than Bowser or Metal Mario because you had to be constantly re-positioning your shots and accounting for the wind/rain while with Maple, you didn't have that problem.

Speed Running then was fascinating compared to now since you didn't have as much knowledge of the game due to lack of internet and you had to really use your gut instincts and whatever magazine strategy guides you could find and I found it really fascinating with Mario Golf because there was so many strategies to run with depending on your golfer.

Of course, nowadays, you just grind your GBC Mario Golf character to obscene levels and level them up so they keep straight then upload them via transfer pak. Broken game and records after that were pretty much pointless.

>> No.1198374

this is my favorite golf game. and is so far the best golf game to play even today for me anyways. only other golf game I enjoyed thats somewhat recent is the super swing golf and pinga games

>> No.1198375

>>1197612
Mario Tennis is better.

>> No.1198378

>>1198371

I always hated when it was raining but the wind is also blowing forward, and you're hitting from an angle. Shit gets confusing

>> No.1198381

>>1198375
that an opinion, and not a very good one either since its a completely different sports game. Though I think mario tennis on the N64 is the best tennis game in the world and no other tennis game has topped it yet.

>> No.1198385

>>1198371

But isn't it pretty easy to master the draw/fade shooters? If you don't hit a nice shot, then the ball basically falls a little to the left or right. Is it really that hard to account for?

>> No.1198415

>>1198385

Higher your Draw/Fade. More the wind will affect your shot, especially on drives. You can master them, but they get much more affected by the conditions like wind and rain, even if you shot the top of the ball to try undercut the wind.

Too much of a random element when you can just pick Maple. Work it out in your head and place it even with the elements. She also has much better chipping placement with her Irons and Wedges because of her straight shot. I ended up getting most of the Birdie badges (And getting the full 108) and Speed Records with her.

At the same time, she does have drawbacks in that because she's got a more powerful drive, it does get affected by the wind more (Compared to Plum and Peach who have short drives but they only really get affected by Rain because it never goes too high for them) and the Par 5 greens on the later courses (Boo Valley can be an outright bastard)

At the same time. Fuck Ring Shot mode forever.

>> No.1198508

>>1198415

The shots that always fucked me up were the ones where you had to shoot up. I think it was hole 16 or 17 of toad highlands, that bitch of a par 5. Also, when you were at a weird angle and the r button almost lied.

It's pretty crazy how advanced this game gets. I never really bothered to put a spin on the ball. I was never even able to get past Mario in Get Character mode; the computer can play almost flawlessly for a lot of it.

I tried Toadstool Tour and it was alright but it didn't feel as nice. It tells you more of how far to hit.

>> No.1198515

>>1198415
>Higher your Draw/Fade. More the wind will affect your shot, especially on drives. You can master them, but they get much more affected by the conditions like wind and rain, even if you shot the top of the ball to try undercut the wind.

Are Draw/Fade basically about the left/right position of the ball? Like let's say you play with Mario, and the optimal hit is 200 yards you but hit only 175. Because he has a draw wont the ball go significantly to the right of your target?

Or is it more about how the ball rolls after it hits the ground? I guess Draw/Fade shots are hardest to master on really small greens or fairways, because if you dont get the number you want, the ball could end up to the left or right and in the rough or something.

>> No.1198531

This is a surprisingly good game. However, I greatly prefer the (not retro) sequel Toadstool Tour, which I have sunk a truly inordinate amount of hours into.

If you're a fan of MG64, check out Toadstool Tour. You won't be disappointed.

>> No.1198542

>>1198508

Toadstool Tour's mechanics had too much info overload and too much about applying topspin/backspin on your landing along with the final two courses being rather gimmicky and not meshing well. New Game + mode was nice but the N64 version had a beauty in it's simplicity but still being deep enough to challenge you that the GC version lacked

>>1198515

Your Draw/Fade is what direction your ball curves in on the shot. Draw to the right. Fade to the left.

Lets say I picked Mario. His stats on his Draw is like this (Ripped directly from GFaqs so apologies if the formating comes out shit)

----||||-

So his shot draws to the right before curving down and landing. Now my problem comes in if the breeze has picked up since Mario also shoots very high on his drives. So say I have a set up on tee that reads 14mph W/SW with the arrow indicating wind direction is changing. Then I'm in a pickle because I need to take extra time to calculate the shot and also the wind is going to carry me much more because of the high level of the drive. Not good for speed golf and even in normal "Tournament" mode, you could be hacking your way out of a bunker (Or savescumming. Not that I would imply the fine denizens of /vr/ would do that...)

So if I pick Maple who has a straight 245Y shot. I have a lot less calculation to do even though she has a high shot that gets affected by the wind. Because I'm shooting straight, I know where to offset my landing if the wind carries my ball. So say I have an easterly wind and I need to carry my ball into the green to avoid a bunker. I can shoot into the wind and allow the wind to carry it over to the green. It's really essential on Boo Valley and other variable conditions courses and a heavy Draw/Fade would have problems in estimating wind carry, even if you had a low swing power character like DK

Someone suggest this game the next time that AGDQ comes around because it would be fascinating how a speedrunner would properly tackle it.

>> No.1198557

what really drew me into this game were the courses. yoshi's island, boo valley, and the mario course were just so beautiful. yet they still seemed somewhat "normal", like a golf course, so it felt really immersive.

>> No.1198564

>>1198542

so basically draw = shoots more to the right and fade = shoots more to the left, even if it curves down in the opposite direction?

And what mode do you think would be best for a speedrunning marathon? obviously there is speed golf, but I think a race might be fun.

>> No.1198567

>>1198531

It is good and I think its because Camelot is just a really solid developer. Have you tried the GBA mario golf? I know its not retro but its fascinating even though the golf gameplay is a little iffy but its a legit RPG.

Camelot just makes really solid mechanics and surprisingly deep gameplay. Mario Tennis is also an amazing game. And, the games have a surprisingly hard single player mode. Beating some of the better characters in Mario Golf like Bowser is really difficult, because its rare for them to make mistakes based on wind/direction in which a human is more likely to do

>> No.1198573

>>1198564

Yep. That's actual proper golf physics as well though you can train yourself to do both if you are really good (Mario Golf just uses it to vary character selection and "Gamification" of the sport)

Also a race in speed golf mode probably would be the best way to do an AGDQ run though since it will throw out random conditions for you, it would be interesting. Just run it as an "Exhibition" so no one gets assmad about losing.

>> No.1198574

>>1198542

The gamelist for AGDQ is already set. The thing is planned like six months in advance. Maybe someone could shoot for SGDQ but its tough to get in

>> No.1198578

I play this on emulator and I swear there's something wrong, it seems like every single hole has really high wind and rain, like one of those safeguards to make it harder to prevent pirating. Is the real game actually like that?

>> No.1198579

>>1198573

But if you get a "Nice Shot" doesn't it not get affected by the draw/fade? It just lands in the center of where you target.

>> No.1198584

>>1198557

I like how the time of day changes the further you get into the course. From afternoon time to evening. And if you go into sudden death, its nighttime

>> No.1198604

>>1198579

"Nice shot" just means you got maximum distance and accuracy on that shot. It still gets affected by the conditions and whatever spin you put on it. You can "Nice shot" and land in a bunker because of the wind carrying your ball for example.

For a Mario sports game, it has a really crazy detailed physics system going on which shows the effort Camelot puts in (The GBC version felt practically identical. That's how crazy it is.)

>> No.1198636

I actually rented this game at blockbuster on a whim. It was really the only game they had that I haven't already played. Thought "what the fuck I liked Golf on the NES." And I actually had tons of fun. And one of the few games that my sisters enjoyed so it was win/win. We rented it every so often as a family game. My sister loved me when I got a Wii and she almost forced me to buy it off the Wii shop. I know there are ones for GameCube and Wii but she loved that one.

>> No.1198714

>>1198542

On a draw/fade shot, when does the wind effect the ball? say for a draw shot. does the wind effect it when it goes to the right, or when its curving back down left?

>> No.1198770

>>1198714

The wind will usually affect the ball at the apex of the shot. The higher your drive, the more the wind will carry it.

You can manually Draw/Fade as well as add top spin and back spin using the D-Pad. If your character has a natural Draw/Fade swing though, it would reduce power significantly though. A theoretical application of it would say if you have a wind blowing into the character from the North. Then you would apply a lot of Top Spin to shoot low in the wind while you would lose distance.

Though as with golf in the real world, it's all about getting a feel and then swinging on instinct as well. If you feel like you can fade your shot to curve it around on a Dog-Leg green using a westerly wind, it's possible in Mario Golf as well (It's ridiculously well constructed as a golf game. My father loved it and he is a ridiculously keen golfer)

>> No.1198778

>>1198770

do the characters have more of a draw/fade using woods than irons? Is there any draw/fade at all on like a 5 iron?

>> No.1198787

>>1198271

If you're really good you should consider starting a stream or something.

>> No.1198841 [DELETED] 

>>1198778

It's more evident using drivers while a 5 iron won't have as much unless you are playing extreme.

>>1198787

I'd love to but my skills have dulled with age, I have a US version of the cart but my converter broke well back in 2002 and I think the timing in project 64 is off a bit. Though I I might try run it and unlock all the characters first in the next few days to kill some time. I'll see what I can do.

>> No.1198849

!
>>1198778

It's more evident using drivers while a 5 iron won't have as much unless you are playing a character with extreme draw/fade like Bowser or DK.

>>1198787

I'd love to but my skills have dulled with age, I have a US version of the cart but my converter broke well back in 2002. It ran like hot garbage on PJ 64 1.6 but I'll see if it does any better in 2.0.

Though I I might try run it and unlock all the characters first in the next few days to kill some time and then go for some speed runs. I'll see what I can do.

>> No.1199317

>>1198415

Sorry to bump this but this thread got me into the game again and for the life of me I cannot understand this draw/fade thing. Whenever I try it out with a Draw character it seems to have no affect; the ball always goes in the center of the target, like normal. Even when I set the wind, say, 5m to the left, the ball goes 5m to the left of center. I don't see how it can affect anything, yet when actually playing it sometimes causes odd things to happen. What, exactly, is going on? Is Draw/Fade only affected by wind and rain? That is, in perfect conditions, is there virtually no difference between a Draw character and a Straight character?

>> No.1199458

>>1199317

In perfect conditions and hitting a "nice shot", your ball will land where you want it, give or take a few meters due to the angle it comes in. EG if your character is a Draw swing, it will come in from the right and come in a few meters on the left from where you want it. Sounds like you are doing tournament mode though. They won't give you hugely challenging conditions on the first course but it will get very bad near the end.

Also, personal note. The little tune you get when you get a Birdie or better is probably the best "YOU WIN!" sound in videogames. So satisfying.

>> No.1199620

This thread inspired me to buy this on my Wii as i enjoy golf games. I must say i had dismissed this game as kiddie bullshit. Im eating my words as this is immensely challenging with a surprisingly deep physics. Im currently 4 medals up against luigi on hole 12 of the first course in get character mode. First attempt i lost 7-10. The computer plays incredibly consistently and that really puts the pressure on you.

>> No.1199627

>>1199620

Yeah, the computer in this game doesn't fuck around. It's tough because it'll usually keep up with you blow for blow. When it gets to around Mario/Harry it starts getting really freaking hard.

>> No.1199646

>>1199627
Im 4 up with one medal to victory. Im actually pretty amped up. Luigi almost tied me last hole but fell .6 short. I actually stood up and cheered at my TV. He hasnt missed many putts so far