[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 102 KB, 176x242, med_video_games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1188224 No.1188224[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

how do you feel about newer games vs older games /v/?
let's have a discussion about this.
wanna say something?
how do you feel about new school of gaming?
What did you feel was lost?
What do you like?
What do you like about new school?
What you miss from old school games?
What don't you miss from older games?

>> No.1188247

>>1188224
Clicked image to see bigger image
>smaller image
I am disappointed

>> No.1188263

>>1188224
I'm not particularly at odds with either side, as time went on, games improved in a number of ways, but they also lost a little here and there.

Graphics/sound improving was great as games got older. Seeing a beautifully rendered scene in a game can really put you in the spirit of things, suck you in, and overall immerse you in the game itself. On the other hand, simple, minimalistic design was mostly put by the side -- 2D graphics are never used in AAA titles anymore, with pretty sprites in the constraint of the system a thing of the past. Indie titles which still use sprites tend to simply have "functional" ones rather than pushing the limit for themselves.

Games are becoming finely tuned machines now as well. This is good and bad, essentially developers are taking established concepts and tweaking them to improve them or maybe adding a little touch here or there to make things different. There's a lot less experimentation however because everyone's playing it safe. Thankfully, indie titles still experiment, but their quality is much less than an AAA title, obviously. I don't think an AAA studio would've ever came out with a game like Minecraft or FTL, though in the past you might've seen someone try it had the technology been there.

A lot of games improved on mechanical concepts. For instance, Resident Evil relaxed the small item inventory, RPGs give you an indicator where to go instead of telling you a general location, and FPS games removed a lot of glitches and exploits common to the genre. This is great, but it did have the unintended side effect of reducing the difficulty of games, and nothing was done to balance it in the majority of new titles.

>> No.1188460

I don't "miss" old games because I still play old games. I don't understand that line of thinking. If you miss the old stuff just play more of it.

And Master Chief doesn't even have an oldschool version, what is he doing there? And "Super Mario" isn't the characters name, for that matter.

>> No.1188472
File: 15 KB, 241x299, 1364164615226.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Master Chief
>old school

>> No.1188474

I like both. I still play both. This is all that needs to be said.

>> No.1188484

>>1188224
>>1188247

better version

and still

>ratcher
>dante
>gba rayman
>old school

>> No.1188494

>>1188460
Yeah, its "Mario Mario"

>> No.1188496
File: 542 KB, 600x2190, old school vs new school.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1188484
forgot pic

>> No.1188502

>>1188496

I find it curious they used the Game Gear Megaman instead of the NES one

>> No.1188525

I think anyone who actually separates what they play as 'new school' or 'old school' exclusively is a fool. It's true that the new generations have become more homogenized and certain genres are no longer really available, but there are still great games which come out, and regularly at that. But I don't cut myself from playing any older games either. My recent playthroughs is a combination of games like Rayman Legends, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 2, Crash Bandicoot, Pokemon X/Y and Megaman. Putting barriers on what games you can or can't play is a dumb and means you're more interested in pants-on-head retarded video game community politics than you are playing video games in general.

>> No.1188529

>Master Chief
>old school

Where did you get that picture? I know gaming sites have to appeal to the Halo-babbies, but fuck

>> No.1188539
File: 1.03 MB, 320x240, 1366743642355.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>master chief
>old school

>> No.1188543

>>1188224
>how do you feel about new school of gaming?
It's gotten too corporate controlled.
>What did you feel was lost?
Innovation and originality. The corporate suits won't allow it anymore, because they fear losing their moneys.
>What do you like?
Not sure what you mean.
>What do you like about new school?
The hardware is now powerful enough that anything's possible, that's pretty neat. But of course you need the right people to actually take advantage of that.
>What you miss from old school games?
The innocent fun of it all. Because there were more teams creating games in the old times, you had better variety because there were more people out there who had greater freedom to express themselves, no matter how juvenile and immature it occasionally got.
>What don't you miss from older games?
Never, ever bring limited continues back. Nothing says "fuck you" more than forcing you to replay all of it just because somebody in the dev team thought that limiting your continues was a good idea. I praised the Lord when PC games, and later the Playstation with it's memory cards introduced the possibility to save your game anytime you wanted to.

>> No.1188545

>>1188525
This nigga knows what's up. People who say all modern games are garbage are no better than the kids today who say old games suck. Limiting yourself to one group or the other is just stupid.

>> No.1188548

>>1188539
Halo is like 1 year newer than stuff people cream themselves over here, like Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark.

>> No.1188570

>>1188548
why am I so old

>> No.1188652

I feel that new school gaming is not for the true gamer, but rather for everyone but the gamer.

Games used to be about practicing to acquire skill, and they required the player to have a strong will to overcome great difficulty. Now they're about sitting on your ass and watching a story unfold; they're barely games at all.

Games used to be played to gain a sense of satisfaction by overcoming great adversity. Now they are played to kill time because you have nothing better to do.

Games used to be for people who were active and alert, as they tested your reflexes and ability to think fast. Now they are for lazy fat asses who eat junk food and masturbate 3 times a day (losers).

>> No.1188673

>>1188496
Why are they comparing sprites to illustrations? Shouldn't they be comparing them to ingame models?

>> No.1188676

I played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate for the first time the other day and I just felt so disappointed.

It was just super-easy gameplay interspersed with quicktime events and that bland orchestral music that plagues games nowadays. It was Castlevania for the God of War babbies.

>> No.1188897

>>1188673

I thought that too. Cecil in particular is just not being fair

>> No.1190816

>>1188224
I feel, that having an appropriate pic instead of something that looks like a bad attempt at trolling would be a good idea when starting a thread about them.

>> No.1190843

>>1188529
IGN, which is almost as "COWADOOTY HALO ASSCREED 9/10 IT'S OKAY QUICKTIME EVENTS" as it gets.

>> No.1190865

>how do you feel about newer games vs older games?

Both have merits, if you could combine the challenge of an older game with the solid gameplay and graphics of a modern game, that would be really something.

>how do you feel about new school of gaming?

I think things are overly convenient. Death no longer really means anything thanks to saves. Young gamers of this generation are cancerous to play online with. They quit football games with a minute left, they quit fights that last a max of 3minutes. Cuss, and whine constantly. It's pretty terrible.

>What did you feel was lost?
Challenge and Heart, and perhaps a since of community.

>What do you like?
I play a little of everything.

>What do you like about new school?
Gameplay and Graphics are the best they have ever been.

>What you miss from old school games?
Challenge, and original score. Lack of depth and storytelling.

>What don't you miss from older games?
Clipping and other glitches.

>> No.1190878

>>1188496

>Mega Man

I laughed, then I got sad.

>> No.1190975

>>1188472
Halo came out like eleven years ago anon. A person who was seven when it came out is old enough to browse 4chan.

Time is a scary thing.