[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 35 KB, 384x224, Armored Warriors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1186390 No.1186390[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Okay guys, here's a quick one:

Do you know any underrated, obscure or not-so-great but still interesting retro beat'em ups you want to share? Post them here. Everything goes, so you can post titles that were released on consoles, computers, handhelds and arcades.

You can find list I made for platform games thread here:

>http://pastebin.com/J7sFtMFx

You can find list I made for shoot'em up games thread here:

>http://pastebin.com/xUDKCP55

You can find list I made for puzzle games thread here:

>http://pastebin.com/rzwErk3k

>> No.1186726

I don't know how popular it was at the time, but I really liked SNES Batman Returns.

>> No.1186734

>>1186390
Armored Warriors and Cyberbots were both damn sweet.

>> No.1186910

snes
----------------
-melfand stories- simple and fun. unique art style. think of it as King of dragons lite.
-sonic blast man 1- humorous. not much else. kinda fun to beat up on the female enemies in the japanese version
-sonic blast man 2- big improvement over part 1
-return of double dragon- so underappreciated it ain't funny. stop reading, and play it.
-ghost chaser densei- so unknown that it aint funny. play this NEXT
-Ninja warriors again- Probably the highest quality beatem up on snes
-king of dragons- very fine port. practically identical to the arcade original except for reduced graphics. the block button is awesome.
-captain commando - very average port
- final fight 1- awful port if you play it today. but considering it';s a first-gen snes game, it was bloody awesome for its day
-final fight 2- much better. has 2player mode too.
-final fight 3- pretty good. a lot of slowdown though, especially w/ 2players
-knights of the round- pretty good port
-legend- nice graphics. okay gameplay.
-power rangers 1- made by natsume (the badasses behind ninja warriors again, wild guns, and more). actually quite good.
-power rangers 2- pretty good too.

genesis
------------
-golden axe 1- it was awesome to play this back when it just came out on genesis. but w/ mame and such, no point
-golden axe 2- more of the same. which is not a bad thing imo
-golden axe 3- gets unwarranted hate due to the crappy background graphics, but the gameplay is fun.
-sor 1,2,3- obviously.
-power rangers- hmm not as good as the snes games

(continued)

>> No.1186928

>>1186910

+1 for Knights of The Round. It's nothing exceptional but there's something about it that keeps me coming back.

Also +1 for King of Dragons which is one of the best ports ever imo. I've played the arcade version and there's little difference as the anon said. Also, Wizard becomes totally OP as it levels.

>> No.1186947

arcade (phew boy, this is gonna be long. i'm doing this all by memory so forgive me if i forget some awesome game that deserves mentioning)
---------------------
-d&d: shadow over mystara- this is the crown jewel of arcade beat'em ups.
-alien vs predator- bloody beautiful.
-cadillacs and dinosaurs- the best "classic capcom-style" beat'em up (as in final fight)
-Warriors of Fate- very popular in asia. i like it, but the 3-hit knockdown rule kinda bugs me. of course, there are ways to bypass it (ex/ huang zhong 5 hit combo: arrow, slide, upper. or weiyan 4/5-hit: grab, jump, delay, upper)
-Tenchi wo Kurau 1: pretty good for its time
- Hook: Great game.the most "capcom-style" beat'em up by Irem.
- Undercover Cops: very unique artstyle. gameplay is quite solid too. play the japanese version for access to double the moves.
-Denjin Makai 2 (guardians): MANY characters. more moves than any other beat'em up out there. colorful graphics
-ninja baseball batman: great game. been posted here many times due to its nonsensical premise
-punisher- very awesome indeed.
-knights of the round
-king of dragons- both great.
-knights of valour- unknown in the west. popular in asia
-oriental legends (or heroes or something like that): likewise
-sengoku denshou 2001- Extremely awesome gameplay. i cannot stress that enough. amazing combo potential. smart AI. pure awesomeness.
-Growl: think of this as a "manic-style" beat'em up. dozens of enemies on screen. blow'em all up with a bazooka. (hint: use the whip)
-Night slashers: great zombie-themed game. gameplay is nice too.
-ninja gaiden and wild fang: pretty fun games.
-golden axe: revenge of death adder: solid , solid game. very nice.
-metamorphic force: very fun game.
-simpsons: as you probably know
-violent storm: awesome!
-x-men: as you know
-tmnt: as you know
-Warrior Blade: actually very good. keep in mind that the original arcade didn't have the 3rd button (the mega-crash move, which can kill a boss w/ 1 or 2 castings)
(continued)

>> No.1186948
File: 102 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefaultShin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun - Kunio Tachi No Banka.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun - Kunio Tachi No Banka ,
Double Dragon meets River City Ransom, if you're a fan of beat em ups you'll love this game, it's fully translated in english too.

>> No.1186952

pc
---------------
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27369/
^^ that game. practically unpronouncable korean name.
Holy shit. what an awesome game. the combat system is pretty damn deep. make sure to watch some youtube videos to get the hang of it first. trust me.

It also has a sequel called Storm. it used to be on underground-gamer (which is sadly defunct now)

A couple taiwanese beat'em ups by the guys who made sango fighter starring the dynasty warriors characters. and the monkey king characters in another.

>> No.1186953

>>1186928
>+1 for Knights of The Round. It's nothing exceptional but there's something about it that keeps me coming back.

I LOVE KoTR, it's very underrated, people often just say "It's not as good as the arcade", well no fucking shit, find me a game from that era that is. taken on it's own merits it's a great game with beautiful graphics and music that is 16-bit Capcom at their best. the variety in enemies, the different play styles of the 3 characters, the extremely fun (yet simple) level system. I honestly think the SNES port is one of the best beat-em-ups on the system.

>> No.1186954

>>1186948
oh yeah, that game is very nice. the ONLY gripe i have against it is that you can't skip the cutscenes.. sometimes i just want to blast some fools, rather than read the story... such a shame.

>> No.1186961

>>1186953
i agree that it's an awesome game.

but come on, different playing styles for the 3 characters? nigga u serious? on normal enemies, do pseudo-infinite w/ the first hit of the attack string. on bosses the best strategy is block, then forward+attack for knockdown. repeat. come on, dude, KoTR is NOT a beat'em up known for unique playing styles between the characters. sorry for starting beef, but i gotta say what i gotta say.

>> No.1186978

>>1186961
>on normal enemies, do pseudo-infinite w/ the first hit of the attack string. on bosses the best strategy is block, then forward+attack

well maybe it's just how you're playing the game. I don't use those strategies at all, I NEVER block.

>> No.1186984

>>1186978
oh, and using Perceval I can easily beat the game in one continue on normal difficulty.

>> No.1186992

I enjoyed Blade on the Game Boy (don't remember if it was GB or GBC, had to be around the cutoff though) when I was a kid, don't know if it stood the test of time though.

>> No.1187000

>>1186978
if you never block, then how do you not take damage from the samurai boss's asteroid attack? The only way to not take damage is to block twice in a row. is we'z playin the same game here?

dude, KoTR isn't that difficult to one-coin.

Go one-coin AvP with Dutch Schaeffer or one-coin KoD with the dwarf (on arcade, not snes w/ its block button), and then let's talk.

>> No.1187087

Played this one beat-em-up on the genesis as a kid called Mystical Fighter. Heavily inspired by Japanese Mythology, you take control of a Kabuki as you battle armies of Noh, samurai, sumo and... ....In all honesty, I could never follow the story at that age.

You could punch, kick, throw (standard or spinning which could clear out multiple targets at the cost of your health), and piledrive enemies in your path. You could also use scrolls to perform a clear-all attack (I understand that it's similar to Golden Axe in that the number of scrolls you have determines the strength of your attack).

>> No.1187349
File: 378 KB, 581x354, Journey to the West.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186952
>A couple taiwanese beat'em ups by the guys who made sango fighter starring the dynasty warriors characters. and the monkey king characters in another.

Are you talking about Journey to the West also known under the names Xi You Ji and West Adventure?

>>1186910
>>1186947
You made my life much easier. Thank you very much.

>-golden axe 2- more of the same. which is not a bad thing imo
>-golden axe 3- gets unwarranted hate due to the crappy background graphics, but the gameplay is fun.

Seriously, I sometimes wonder why people consider them to be bad games. They are big improvements over the first Golden Axe.

>> No.1187361
File: 22 KB, 480x360, afterthewar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186390
After the war.

>> No.1187374

Anyone suggested the original Splatterhouse trilogy? Dunno if it fits the definition of obscure, but eh.

>> No.1187407 [DELETED] 

>>1187349
>>1186952
Oh, I forgot about one thing. That other beat'em up starring Dynasty Warriors guys (or rather historical Chinese figures) is called Water Margin: Heroes of the Marsh AKA Shuihuzhuan: Liangshan Yingxiong, am I right?

>> No.1187414

>>1186952

Oh, I forgot about one thing. That other beat'em up starring Dynasty Warriors guys (or rather historical Chinese figures) is called Water Margin: Heroes of the Marsh AKA Shuihuzhuan: Liangshan Yingxiong, am I right?

>> No.1187419
File: 19 KB, 385x266, 571242_45973_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Undercover Cops was great. Great music too.

>> No.1187443
File: 14 KB, 608x448, 10415.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186947
>No Vendetta

What is wrong with you?

>> No.1187559

My biggest nostalgia bomb moment was a game I saw my dad play called Night Striker. The big thing that caught me was that you played as a FLYING CAR that could drive or fly as needed. Time marched on, and I came back to it...to realize there was so much more than I realized. This was probably one of the first arcade games that had multiple endings! And yet, I never hear/see anyone discussing it! Hell, I honestly believe it holds its own even amongst today's games...but perhaps I'm reaching. Still, great game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnUdlcBi1A

>> No.1187902

>>1187559
But, that's not a beat'em up.

>> No.1187930

>>1187559
it has a better-than-arcade saturn port. It's a Taito game, that's why it uses the Darius level select system

>> No.1187935

Battletoads Arcade was so much better than the overrated NES game

>> No.1188016
File: 9 KB, 160x144, chizas-14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yo OP, Add Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS to that list of obscure/underrated shmups under Game Boy.

It's the best shmup for the system by far, imo (though admittedly I haven't played too many GB shmups).

If nothing else, it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the system.
Only game I can think of that might be more impressive visually is Trip World.

Have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzu3VL7_38

>> No.1188028

>>1187935
they're completely different games. that was a really stupid comparison.

>> No.1188180

>>1188016
Oh yeah, you reminded me of one very important thing. I can still update platformer/shmup/puzzle game lists if I'll get enough contributions.

>> No.1188217

>>1188016
Man, fuck the final boss.

>> No.1189552

Hey guys, I'm searching one game I forgot the name of. I remember that at one point player had to fight members of KKK-like cult and that the final stage takes place in church. I think that the final boss was some large devil, but I'm not 100% sure.

>> No.1189880

>>1189552
ninja kids (arcade) - by taito

you're welcome

>> No.1190508
File: 26 KB, 320x240, Hook.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first version of the list which contains contributions that have been posted so far.

>http://pastebin.com/CaDddBUK

I'm currently searching for NES/SMS/TG-16 and handheld beat'em ups. Any suggestions?

>> No.1191350

Dont mind me,i'll post a track of Armored warriors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZL16gPu8k

>> No.1191712

>>1191350
Capcom games from the 90's always have that distinctive sound which I really like.

>>1189880
Sorry for the late reply, that's the title I was talking about. Thanks!

>> No.1191724

>>1190508
You're missing the rushing beat/ran/shura games for Snes.
Golden Axe but no Streets of Rage for Sega? The fuck is wrong with you.
There's this extremely obscure unlincensed chinese game, Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan, plays like a cross between golden axe and knights of the round. It's surprisingly good, in many ways better than the actual golden axe games.

Arcades.
Anything by Taito, Capcom, Konami and Banpresto on Arcades is bound to be hi-quality, just do some searching on one of those mame databases.

>> No.1191726

>>1191724
Also, this is a bit weird, but there's a couple Sailor Moon beatem ups by Banpresto on 16 bit consoles, and one for arcade that eventually got a Saturn port. You'll know which one because it has huge anime cutscenes before bosses.
It's absolutely terrific if you look past the magical girl theme.

>> No.1191736

>>1191724
For MAME, you're missing Dark Seal 2, Lightbringer/Dungeon Magic, medieval beatem ups with a level up system.
Crystal of Kings, also medieval, pre-rendered 3d graphics a-la Donkey Kong Country, has a bit of a morality system, you can either save or kill hostages and that defines your moral alignment.

Are you interested in PS1 or Saturn games? Highly recommend Guardian Heroes, Three Dirty Dwarves, Die Hard Arcade (3D) for Saturn.
Nekketsu Oyako, Dragon's Valor (3D), Fighting Force 1 and 2(3D) and the far superior Gekido (3D).

>> No.1191738

>>1191736
>Nekketsu Oyako, Dragon's Valor (3D), Fighting Force 1 and 2(3D) and the far superior Gekido (3D) For Playstation
Fix'd. That's about all I have, I assume you're emulating.
You can KINDA put Sol Divide in there, but that's really a shoot'em up with some fighting elements worked in.

>> No.1191740

>>1191724
>>1191726
>>1191736
>>1191738
Forgot Panzer Bandit for PS1.

>> No.1191764

>>1190508
Battletoads in Ragnarok Land for Game Boy.
It's actually a brand new game and not an NES port.

>> No.1191774

Does anyone know the name of the Chinese Three Kingdoms beat-em-up Arino played when he went to Cambodia? It looked pretty fun.

>> No.1191778

>>1191774
Sorry I meant Journey to the West, not Three Kingdoms. Random classics mix up

>> No.1191782

>>1190508
Well, if you MUST have master system games, Dynamite Dux. Everything else is a port.

For NES: Mighty Final Fight, Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffitti, original Double Dragon and River City Ransom, fucking Astyanax.
Honestly everything besides Double Dragon and River City Ransom sucks in 8bit.

For PC Engine/TG16: Berabbo Man, Wonder Momo, Crest of the Wolf, Galaxy Deka Gayvan.

>> No.1191785

>>1191774
Are you sure it's not Xi You Ji/West Adventure posted here: >>1187349 ?

>> No.1191791

>>1191782
And be sure to add in Splatterhouse 1,2,3 to your Sega Genesis list. First one is an arcade port, other two are Genesis exclusive.
There's no way Nintendo would ever allow that much gore on the SNES!

>> No.1191792
File: 152 KB, 320x211, 1054456808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1191785
It was actually right there in the subtitles when I checked the episode. 'Oriental Legend', sorry.

>> No.1192443

>>1187349
>Seriously, I sometimes wonder why people consider them to be bad games. They are big improvements over the first Golden Axe

2 and 3 just feel like the creative spark was drained out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just reworked versions of SOR 2 & 3

>> No.1192540

>>1191724
>Golden Axe but no Streets of Rage for Sega? The fuck is wrong with you.

That's because Streets of Rage trilogy is way more popular than later Golden Axe titles. Hell, they are often considered to be must-play games. That's the reason I didn't add them to the list. Sorry for the late reply.

>>1191726
OK, I did some research and I assume that you are talking about these games:

-Sailor Moon [http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/564188-bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon]
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon R [http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/564189-bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon-r]
-Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon [http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/566730-pretty-soldier-sailor-moon]

Are these games you are talking about?

>> No.1192568

B-Rap Boys. How could that not be in here?

Also Ninja Clowns.

>> No.1192601
File: 13 KB, 198x254, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wasted so many quarters on this and Shinobi.

>> No.1192779

>>1192540
Yep, that's the arcade one with the fullscreen anime cutscenes for bosses and special moves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIlLdYUYLM
>7:55
The whole game is full of neat moments like that.

>> No.1192786

>>1186390
Does Super Ninja Boy for the SNES count?
I mean, it's kind of RPG/Beat 'em up.

>> No.1192802

>>1192540
If you're going for obscurity then I'd recomend Berabbo Man and Wonder Momo over Gayvan and Crest of the Wolf. The first two aren't good games but they are full of charming japanese cheesiness, while the other two are just generic and boring. Also they are cd games while berabbo and wonder momo were on roms.

>> No.1192939

>>1186726
dat crunch-like sound effect

>> No.1193083
File: 127 KB, 512x448, ninja-gaiden-arcade-20100126052400995.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186390
Underrated because everyone immediately thinks of the NES games , it's also ludicrously difficult

>> No.1193130
File: 2.97 MB, 304x224, Vendettagif1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1187443
with thanks to /wsg/

>> No.1193948

>>1191782
>For NES: Mighty Final Fight, Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffitti, original Double Dragon and River City Ransom, fucking Astyanax.
>Honestly everything besides Double Dragon and River City Ransom sucks in 8bit.

I thought that TMNT III: The Manhattan Project was pretty fun when i played a few years ago. I wonder if it still holds up. I also heard good things about NES version of Batman Returns, but I never had a chance to play it. What do you think?

I also never played Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti. Does it play like the mainline Splatterhouse games?

>>1192802
I'm taking that you are the same person who posted (>>1191782), am I right? If more people share the same sentiment then I'll remover them from the list.

>>1192786
I never played it before. Can you shed more light on this?

>> No.1194056

>>1186390
Depends on how you define a beat-'em-up. Are we talking strictly about belt-scrolling/floor games or do single-plane brawlers count too?

>> No.1194058

>>1186910
>- final fight 1- awful port if you play it today. but considering it';s a first-gen snes game, it was bloody awesome for its day
Honestly, I find it to be an underrated port. Especially the Guy version.

>> No.1194296

>>1193948
For Super Ninja Boy, it's more RPG than Beat 'em Up, but the base combat plays out like a 2D beat em up.

Gameplay Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1kNNls5EM

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ninja_Boy

It's a coop game on top of that, meaning you an a friend can go through it if you want. For some strange reason, though, the game uses password saves instead of battery saves, resulting in, at most, 54 character passwords. A lot of fun, but the password system kills me now. I can only go through it via emulation and savestates (although, only at the savepoints where you get your password; nowhere else).

>> No.1194302

>>1194296
Also, to follow up on that, there are also several platforming related challenges in the game, as well.

On top of that, the main boss fights in the game (for some reason or another) are all Turn Based combat.

Considering you spend the majority of the game outside of those two forms of gameplay, though, I always considered it RPG/Beat Em Up.

>> No.1194723

>>1194056
Both belt-scrolling (For those who don't know, belt-scrollers are the beat'em ups that use semi-isometric perspective like Final Fight or TMNT) and single-plane beat'em ups (Games like Kung-Fu Master or Splatterhouse) are fine.
If you know a game that hasn't been mentioned in this thread so far, then feel free to share it with us.

>>1194296
>>1194302
I don't know, putting it on the list would be a stretch, in my opinion. What do you guys think?

>> No.1196123
File: 28 KB, 384x224, Alien vs Predator.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The second version of the list is can be found below:

>http://pastebin.com/tcX9AkNC

Are there any good SNES or Mega Drive beat'em ups that aren't arcade ports?

>> No.1196378

A pair of arcade titles submitted for your approval.

Robo Army:
http://youtu.be/6f4U5CMLjro

Arabian Fight:
http://youtu.be/6f4U5CMLjro

>> No.1196653

>>1196123
I see you added dungeon magic and wizard fire but you're still missing The Crystal of Kings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvo23ZxxTs

>> No.1196664

>>1196123
Still missing Rushing Beat Shura/The Peace Keepers.
Thing is, the japanese version is the superior version, they removed all songs, the spider enemies and some of the branching paths from Peace Keepers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJG1Ckcbg
Compare to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vas8iJv5NZo
As you can see, there's no music, and some graphics were altered.

>> No.1196994

>>1196664
Huh? What are you talking about? I listed both versions of the game.

>>1196378
You posted to the same link twice. If anyone's wondering here's how Arabian Fight looks like as it's rather intersting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xysoJtuwqro

>> No.1197161
File: 2.90 MB, 2516x2700, 1376536423458.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i have a reason to post this pic

>> No.1198421

>>1197161
I can't believe I forgot about Battle Cicuit. A fun game.

>>1196994
>Arabian Fight

Speaking of Arabian Fight, what's the name of the Taito beat'em up with the same Arabian setting? I played it few years ago and thought it's great.

>>1196653
That game isn't really retro as it was made in 2001. It's pretty good, though.

>> No.1198435

>>1186947

Arcade emulation question!

I have a softmoded Wii that I've never really bothered to use for anything other than actual Wii and GC games, but should I be able to run most of these on that little guy? I haven't used MAME (or pretty much any other emu) in about a decade...

>> No.1199067

>>1198435
There are three arcade emulators for the Wii: MAME Wii, GxGeo (Neo-Geo emulator) and RetroArch Wii with Final Burn Alpha core (it doesn't support MAME core as of yet, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I haven't tested them so I don't know if they are worth trying out or not. You can ask guys from this thread (>>1197831), I bet they will be more of help than I am.

>> No.1199097
File: 67 KB, 960x840, 118124218624.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186947

Thank you for mentioning WIld Fang (a.k.a. Tecmo Knight) I always thought it was great game with awesome soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT7koxdq9Mk

>> No.1199232

A third version of the list should be available soon, mostly because there aren't many interesting beat'em ups on 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, with the one little exception: SNES. As far as I know there are around 200 beat'em ups released on the Nintendo's 16-bit wonder. So, my question is:

Are there any good SNES beat'em ups that aren't arcade ports?

>> No.1199925

>>1198421
I believe you are talking about Arabian Magic.
http://youtu.be/aYPzNZa-sIc
>>1199232
Been keeping my eyes peeled for entries of the like. A little difficult looking for some of the more underrated/obscure titles. If comic book games are applicable, then how about The Death and Return of Superman, Maximum Carnage, and Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems (the original was an arcade fighter; the SNES port was changed to a 2D beat'em up featuring warped versions of various Marvel heroes)

>> No.1199941

>>1199925
>Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
That reminds me, we could add X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES) and X-Men (Arcade).

>> No.1200420

>>1199925
Yeah, that's it! Thank you very much.

>If comic book games are applicable

Anything goes as long as it's a retro beat'em up. If you find more SNES beat'em ups that aren't on the list, then feel free to post it.

>>1199941
>X-Men (Arcade)

Wasn't it very popular back in the day, though? I've seen it being mentioned a couple of times in this thread.

>> No.1200714

>>1200420
>Wasn't it very popular back in the day, though?
Yeah, it wasn't exactly obscure.

>> No.1201391

>>1200714
I was actually thinking of adding thinking of adding licensed Konami beat'em ups to the list, but I didn't because I don't know if they qualify as obscure. I know that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, its sequel and X-Men were huge hits, but what about the rest (for example Asterix, Bucky O'Hare, Rollergames)?

By the way, does anyone know a good MAME database, preferably up-to-date? It would make my job easier.

>> No.1201470

>>1196123
>http://pastebin.com/tcX9AkNC

snes
-kamen rider
-the other kunio beat'em up
-choujin shubibin-man ZERO (can't remember the full name, but it's an offshoot of the pc-engine series)
-there's this other game. you can choose between the standard white-guy and a chinese guy with a braid. you can jump and throw a grenade like in the punisher (arcade). goddamn i can't think of the name. but once i remember i'll post it. not that great though
-there's another game. similar to ninja warriors in that it's 2d, not 2.5d. based off of a manga. has the word ryuu in it. main character can go super -saiyan a bit later. you can do basic juggles. can't remember the name .. once again, not that great. which is why i never othered to remember the name...

>> No.1201472

>>1201470
oh also.

mazinger on snes

and majin saga for genesis

>> No.1201746

>>1186390
>mechs
>beat em up

I've been needing a game like this in my life

>> No.1203264
File: 137 KB, 342x500, Kavinsky__1986_for_the_Genesis_by_DavidRapozaArt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best beat'em up ever that was never made.

Also best soundtrack.

>> No.1203406

>>1201470
I did some digging on my own and I've found a few games that match your descriptions.

>the other kunio beat'em up

I think you are talking about Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kJiTDB5tM))

>-there's this other game. you can choose between the standard white-guy and a chinese guy with a braid. you can jump and throw a grenade like in the punisher (arcade). goddamn i can't think of the name. but once i remember i'll post it. not that great though

Sounds like Iron Commando: Kotetsu no Senshi, going by character descriptions alone.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2XTCFyrzSk))

>-there's another game. similar to ninja warriors in that it's 2d, not 2.5d. based off of a manga. has the word ryuu in it. main character can go super -saiyan a bit later. you can do basic juggles. can't remember the name .. once again, not that great. which is why i never othered to remember the name...

That's a tough one. The only title that comes to my mind is Koryuu no Mimi. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfkmyTyhXc))

Do any of these games ring any bells?

>> No.1203462

I've always wanted to get into this genre, but it never really clicked for me. Movement always seemed really stiff and limited, and it always seemed like every game boiled down to "punch punch punch, kill bad guy, repeat". Are there any beat 'em ups with more intricate gameplay, like combo systems and things of the like, that you would recommend to beggininers?

>> No.1204056

>>1203462

You're kind of thinking about the genre in a too modern train of thought.

Beat 'em ups are basically burly man bar fight simulators.

>> No.1205813

>>1203462
I can't speak for everyone obviously, but in my opinion, beat'em ups are just mindless fun. While I must admit that they aren't deepest game genre out there, they must be doing something right since many people love them.

>Are there any beat 'em ups with more intricate gameplay, like combo systems and things of the like, that you would recommend to beggininers?

I can't give you any specific examples, but if you want to give beat'em ups another chance, I suggest getting MAME, really. Arcade beat'em ups are way ahead of console ones. Play anything from Capcom, they mastered the genre.

Speaking of arcades:

>>1201391
>By the way, does anyone know a good MAME database, preferably up-to-date? It would make my job easier.

Does anyone know one? I have a feeling that arcade section of the list is still missing a few good titles.

>> No.1205831

>>1203462
What this guy >>1205813 said, I specially recommend Shadow Over Mystara and Battle Circuit.

>> No.1205841

>>1205813
>>1201391
http://www.progettoemma.net/
If you ever knew about MAWS back in the day, this essentially IS maws, updated and translated to Italian.
Other helpful sites:
http://www.mamedb.com/
http://www.klov.net/

>> No.1205884

>>1203406
yeah. you got em all.

>> No.1205919

is it possible to play the old beat-em-ups like turtles and double dragon with a bro over the net, like GGPO? does it involve a lot of fucking around configuring emulators or is the process fairly well-documented by now?
i just want to play turtles with my younger brother (we're both pretty old) for the nostalgia. i don't mind a little configuration but nothing too insanely difficult.

>> No.1206058

>>1203462
well, i consider beat'em ups like shoot'emups except with punches instead of bullets.

furthermore, i ALWAYS follow the 1-coin-rule when it comes to arcade games, especially with beat'em ups.

When some classic arcade beatem ups came out on xbox live and people were like "oh this game is so easy i beat it on my first try" (well.. duh, if you use $50 worth of credits then of course you can beat it...)

>> No.1206156

>>1194296
UGH, that game has a horrid framerate.

>> No.1206219

ugh.. just tried King of dragons on snes.

what you niggas smoking?

not even CLOSE to the original arcade. the arcade game is BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL.

i can understand the downsized sprites, but what's up with the SEVERE lack of animations and the Very choppy gameplay. i repeat the arcade version is BEAUTIFUL.

>> No.1206245
File: 327 KB, 850x1201, flyer-japan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Monster Maulers. It's not a conventional beat em up in the slightest.

So have its theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKhTuEGcGA

>> No.1206279

>>1206245
That's more of a fighting game, though.

>> No.1206285

>>1206279
It's both and neither.

>> No.1207258

>>1206245
I have to agree with (>>1206279) here. If i'll ever make a underrated fighting game list, I'll be sure to add it.

>>1205841
Thank you very much, especially for EMMA. Great database. If anyone cares, EMMA's beat'em ups section of these sites can be found below:

http://www.progettoemma.net/indice.php?catver=55
http://www.progettoemma.net/indice.php?catver=67

If you'll find anything interesting that isn't on my list, then feel free to share it with us.

>> No.1207281

>>1207258
Shadow Force
http://www.progettoemma.net/?lista=&catver=55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKSIo7HwF0

It's a 6 button beatem up with a complex move list and you can possess and control your enemies.

>> No.1207490

>>1207258
just so you guys know.

press the US/UK flag on the left side of the screen for english

>> No.1208119
File: 207 KB, 768x672, Iron Commando.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The third version of the list can be found below:

>http://pastebin.com/wgd9KRqm

Now, I'm searching for beat'em ups on Playstation, Saturn and Nintendo 64. Computer beat'em ups also wouldn't hurt.

>> No.1208274

>>1208119
not sure why Astyanax is on that list. not a beat'em up.

some more:

pc-engine:
-THE kung fu. china warrior in the west
-Cyber Cross
-Cross Wiber

PCD-CD
-kazekiri- excellent game
-double dragon 2- decent
-goldenaxe - horrible port
-ane-san- well, at least it has some nudity

gameboy:
there should be tons.. can't remember them at the moment though.. but..
-Yuu Yuu Hakusho 4- quite good. (hmm.. or was it 3? I'm not talking about the 1v1 fighting game though (there are two of them). i'm talking about a side-scrolling beat'em up. Might even be part 5 lol
-a bunch of kunio games (that were remade into double dragon games for the west)
god there's a bunch more. for sure. can't remember at the moment though..

check out kazekiri for sure though

>> No.1208342

Anyone remember the name of this beat 'em up? I remember seeing it in an arcade, it took place in post-apocalypse and you punced these guys...

in first-person view though, hopefully this last detail makes it clearer

>> No.1208403
File: 10 KB, 257x230, 1177432817-00.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never hear anyone talk bout Spawn for SNES. I'd say it's on the better side of average, overall, but it has some interesting ideas I don't see often enough, if at all. Spawn has a lot more command moves than I've seen in any other beat 'em up. It has a pretty unique continue system, too: As per the comic, Spawn is endowed with a finite amount of magic and will be sent back to hell for eternity when he expends the last of it. Special moves, self-healing, falling into bottomless pits, and continuing after dying (In the comic, Spawn would reflexively teleport when he was getting too fucked up.) will all use a small amount of magic. You can continue after death as many times as you want, but when you run out of magic, you are effectively done.

>> No.1208417

>>1208403
yeah. that's a good game. the best move imo is the qcf+punch. there are way flashier moves out there, but nothing compares in terms of damage/cost

>> No.1208431
File: 14 KB, 383x266, The_Shadow_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Shadow, although was actually never released. You can play it via ROM though.

>> No.1209208

No one mentioned Brawl Brothers? It wasn't the best, and got somewhat repetitive but it was fun.

>> No.1209513

>>1208342
The only first-person beat'em up (or rather a fighting game) I can think of is The Super Spy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSrQ8cbQSYc))

>>1209208
It's already on the list along with its sequels, Rival Turf and The Peace Keepers. (>>1208119)

>> No.1209858

>>1209513
there's also crossed swords. and the sequel exclusive to neo-cd

>> No.1209948
File: 26 KB, 385x224, 0028.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1186947
OMG, Just finished Violent Storm... what a fucking amazing game!

>> No.1209956

>>1209948

Speaking of the first stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JuJnfL6QY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fN-9fU2N4

>> No.1209960

Growl for Genesis is good but kinda easy.

>> No.1210134

>>1209956
I was so impressed with the music, up there with NIGHTS in catchy tunes

>> No.1210209

>>1209948
Now try to one-coin-clear it.

I can get to the final boss using Boris every time. but it's literally impossible to beat him without losing a life or two cuz the nigga got too many invincibility moves and instant-counter attacks.

the best strategy is to play the japanese version which has score-based-life-ups turned on by DEFAULT (so it ain't cheating) then try to gain about 2-3 lives before the last boss.

that's the only way to 1-coin-clear this game.

>> No.1210216

>>1209960
never played the genesis version. only the arcade version, but the difficulty depends on what weapon you stick with. (also keep in mind that you get to keep your weapon for the entire game unlike other beatemups)

God mode: Whip- amazing reach. hits behind you to. Great stun. best weapon bar-none

Just-about-right difficulty: Sword- good combo ability. good speed.

Hard mode: fighting with your fists. you're gonna have to rely on your jump kick more than anything.

>> No.1210357

Does anyone know any good PSX/N64/SS beat'em ups?

>> No.1210605

Gurume Sentai Barayaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrg9Iqi57_s

>> No.1210629
File: 208 KB, 603x852, ddsom_art05_0[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never even knew about this game until it came up in a thread when /v/ was busy obsessing over Dragon's Crown. Someone said it was better, so I decided to give it a shot. Pretty fun stuff, shame the Saturn version never made it to the states.

>> No.1211695

Anyone have some advice for playing Knights of the Round on the SNES?

I hate those fucking birds. I don't know a good way to kill them as Percival.

I've only made it up to stage 6.

>> No.1211957

>>1186953

I would actually argue that Turtles in Time is better on the SNES.

You can actually grab on command and there's more levels. The only drawback is you're limited to just two players.

>> No.1211960

>>1211957
They also added a mode7 hoverboard/shell race and a shredder fight. I like that version better as well.

>> No.1211980

>>1211957
the biggest reason why the snes version is better is because they added STUN to your attacks, so that you can ACTUALLY combo and not get unfairly interrupted. the arcade version is more like rock'em sock'em robots and you had to rely on jumpkicks a lot. furthermore, in the snes version you don't move around when you attack. the arcade version should've been called teenage mutant ice-skating turtles furthremore, WAY better bosses. grabs on command (and can CHOOSE which grab you want). gave each turtle distinct strengths and weaknesses.

the arcade version has:
much better graphics and animation
many more enemies on screen (but what's the point when the entire combat system is crap?)

>> No.1212541
File: 14 KB, 480x432, Yuu Yuu Hakusho Dai-3-dan - Makai no Tobira.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1208274

>not sure why Astyanax is on that list. not a beat'em up.

I actually have no idea what to do with both Astyanax and Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti. Are they beat'em ups or platformers?

>-THE kung fu. china warrior in the west

This a textbook example of game that's not great but still worth playing nonetheless. A nice curiosity that every TurboGrafx-16 fan should give a go.

>-kazekiri- excellent game

That reminds me I forgot to remove it from platformer list. I have no idea why I added it. Give me reason to make a new version of it, guys. If there's anything missing on the list you would like to add, then it's good time do so.

>-ane-san- well, at least it has some nudity

See China Warrior.

>-Yuu Yuu Hakusho 4- quite good. (hmm.. or was it 3? I'm not talking about the 1v1 fighting game though (there are two of them). i'm talking about a side-scrolling beat'em up. Might even be part 5 lol

Yuu Yuu Hakusho Dai-3-dan - Makai no Tobira?

>-a bunch of kunio games (that were remade into double dragon games for the west)

Double Dragon II? That's the only Game Boy Kunio-kun beat'em up I can think of.

>>1210629
Was D&D: Tower of Doom any good? I've seen people mention Shadow Over Mystara but never ToD.

>> No.1212606
File: 2.00 MB, 276x327, 1384990383290.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1212541
astyanax and splatterhouse (all versions EXCEPT for part 3) are absolutely not beat'emups. they're platformers similar to castlevania.

kazekiri, definitely a beat'emup. the purpose isn't to reach the end of a level like in a platformer, but rather to go around the level looking for the last enemy to kill.

D&D: TOD is excellent. nowhere near as good as SOM, but still excellent.

TOD Pros and Cons:
+very sophisticated combat system. very methodical. definitely NOT a button masher (unless you're going for an unlimited credits run).
+very good enemy AI for a beat'em up
+one of the more challenging capcom beat'em ups (avsp, SOM, battle circuit, armored warriors are too easy to 1-coin-- i have yet to 1-coin TOD even w/ the best character: the fighter)
-even though the combat system is very good, it's just not as fun and satisfying as SOM's...
-not nearly as many features as SOM..
-basically, if SOM never came out then TOD would really stand out. but SOM is just... SO - DAMN - GOOD.. that TOD just gets ignored

>> No.1212754

>>1212606

I don't consider Astyanax a beat em up... but playing devils advocate ,Astyanax is a hack and slash which is a type of beat em up.

>> No.1213087

>>1212754
hmm.. good point. even king of dragons is more of a hack n slash than a beat'em up actually.

>> No.1213091

>>1213087
speaking of which. not sure if its on your list but 'blade master' by irem (arcade). nowhere near as good as king of dragons, but still pretty good

>> No.1213683

>>1212606
>astyanax and splatterhouse (all versions EXCEPT for part 3) are absolutely not beat'emups. they're platformers similar to castlevania.

I always thought of them as being "Kung Fu Master/Spartan X on steroids", at least if it comes to first two Splatterhouses and Astyanax. I must get around to playing Wanpaku Graffiti, though. I always thought that it was Kid Dracula-like platformer, but now I'm not so sure.

>>1208119
>Now, I'm searching for beat'em ups on Playstation, Saturn and Nintendo 64. Computer beat'em ups also wouldn't hurt

>> No.1213975

Does anyone have advice for beating Turtles in Time on SNES?

I do fine until I get to fucking Slash. I like using Donatello too so being slow as hell makes it hard to dodge.

What's the best strategy here?

>> No.1214061

>>1213975
you have to memorize slash's pattern a bit. when he hops around you have to run and shoulder bash him to make him vulnerable then add in a few more hits. the shoulder bash is the key because it goes through enemy blocks

>> No.1214628

I'm trying to beat Armored Warriors on one credit, so I could get a screenshot of the good ending for the final update. Any tips?

>> No.1215458

>>1208119
Creepy Castle for Macintosh.

>> No.1217007

>>1215458
Oh, a computer beat'em up. Thank you very much. I played a few of computer beat'em ups, but I couldn't find anything interesting, mostly bad ports and low-budget crap.

The final version of the list is almost ready. If everything goes fine, I'll post it tomorrow.

Oh, and one thing. I've noticed that Dreamcast is now officially considered retro by the board's standards. If you know any good underrated/obscure platformers, shmups, puzzle game and beat'em ups for Dreamcast, feel free to share them us. It's the best moment to do so.

>> No.1218049
File: 155 KB, 384x224, Armored Warriors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The final version of the list is finally finished! It took me longer than I initially expected.

>http://pastebin.com/FT6L91uU

Thank you guys for all the great contributions!

What would you prefer next? Underrated fighters or underrated racing games/