[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 176 KB, 600x572, RPG Maker [U] [SLUS-00640]-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1176508 No.1176508[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Anyone still mess around with the old RPG Maker engines? Tell us a bit about the games you've made, and which engines you've used.

Unfortunately, a lot of these titles remain untranslated, but we eventually got RPG Maker for the PS1, RPG Maker II and 3 for PS2, and RPG Maker XP and VX for PC. There were some earlier attempts at fan translations of Super Dante for the Super Famicom, but they're largely unfinished. Personally, I liked the engine and assets for RPG Tsukuru 2 the most.

The PS1 version is actually quite similar to RPG Tsukuru 2, with some additions of its own. Sadly, they stripped out the standard world map engine and replaced it with a ubiquitous parchment map. You simply select the locations you want to visit from a list of areas instead of getting to explore the overworld on your own.

>> No.1176525

>>1176508
I remember RPG Maker from my cousin's house when I was younger. I didn't really get into it until XP. I remember he also had a copy of the Super Famicom RPG Maker too (just the lone cart).

>> No.1176536

Downloading Don Miguel's translation of RPG Maker 95 + Pokemon and DBZ sprite sets, and making a game to show my friends was one of the coolest things of my 3rd grade year

>> No.1176560

Greatest thing I've done in for the ps2 version was make a contiguous world. No world map, no shrinking to go inside houses. Everything was made to-scale.

>> No.1176583

>>1176560

This is somewhat feasible in the PS1 version. You can create houses whose contents are part of the map, similar to what you would see in Ultima VI. Instead of a world map, you can link various villages and dungeons together with maps representing generic paths through wilderness areas.

I think each area is restricted to 64x64 tiles, so you at least have to transition from one area to the next, such as from a village to a section of wilderness, then from there to a dungeon.

There will be at least some transitioning involved in a contiguous world. How else would you represent multiple dungeon floors? If you take a set of stairs down a level, then you'll be moving to a new map. I guess you can keep every dungeon limited to a single floor, but that may seem a bit too artificial in some cases.

>> No.1176628

I wanted the ps1 game so bad when I heard it was coming out. I actually got my brother to order it online for me, since no store where we were had it. That was the first time I ever did that.

Of course, I tried to make some cliched generic rpg but didn't get farther than making the first town and dungeon. I the end the only game I actually finished was a 4-room long scenario about a Level 50 hero and his Level 5 Mage side kick fighting a robot to get the herb needed to cure their sick elf friend.

And then years later I download RPGMaker VXAce and actually finish a game. Unfortunately, it's also a fetish game

>> No.1177408

>>1176628
>Unfortunately, it's also a fetish game

That's not surprising. The most popular RPG Maker games are all either hentai, horror, or artsy.

>> No.1177489

>>1176508
I made a game on RPG Maker for the PS1.

"The Dennis RPG" was about my friends and I finding out that Dennis (someone that used to make fun of me daily in high school) was taking over the school. It featured George W Bush and Dick Cheyne as optional side bosses.

It was as awful as it sounds.

>> No.1177642

Is there a place to get PS1 RPG maker data online that you can play on PCSX or something?

>> No.1177643

>>1177489
I'd play it

>> No.1177783

>not RPG Maker 2003 on PC

>> No.1177805

Please, tell me more about youse guys games.

>> No.1177827

>Get RPG maker from special order
>Find out it needs at least 10 blocks to actually save.
>Get a 32-in-1 memory card, have plenty of space to make.
>Fill up four sections with data.
>Suddenly can't switch between sections anymore.
>Lose an entire summer worth of work.

It wasn't anything special, but damn was that crushing at the time. I put a lot of work into that to make my very own generic JRPG, and I was really proud of it. It's a shame I couldn't back it up on my computer or post it online at the time.

At least I got my wish and made an RPG from scratch for class in Java. Once we got the engine done, it was easier to work with anyway, and if I wanted to do something special, I could always program it in myself.

>> No.1177830

I almost want to download this and make a game to upload and share with all of you.

Actually, I just might do that later on this week.

>> No.1177849

>Go to an obscure gameshop in a mall I have never been to
>RPG Maker? You mean I can make games like Final Fantasy!
>Play it with me and my bros all day, we had fucking sleepovers where we just worked on a game
>One of my friends was an amazing spriter, even with the limited functions he was able to make awesome shit
>Got really far in some of my games, but never finished due to getting burnt out.

Though they were never anything special, I always liked my games. The furthest I got one was a game where you could play three character scenarios, I planned for an ending where all three come together and fight the BBEG but I never finished it.
Fun shit, I actually do attribute some of the scripting in that game to helping my programming skills. I should drive to my parents house and see if my old PS1 memory card still has any data from it...

>> No.1177859

>>1177805
>Main character starts off as a farmboy, bored out of his mind wasting away out in the middle of nowhere.
>Spend the "tutorial" fighting off wolves attacking sheep.
>The next day, you awake to see your father talking with some soldiers you've never seen before.
>The soldiers begin to move to the house and barn and begin pillaging and looting.
>Your father gets wounded trying to drive them off.
>You encounter one in the house and go through a chase sequence.
>Told to warn the other farms by your mother who stays behind.
>You escape into the wilderness.

>Visit a chain of farms and houses, some already attacked and looted, others haven't been touched yet.
>Inform the residents at each about the hostile soldiers, giving them time to prepare.
>Meet up with your buddy/rival along the way, a snide huntsman, and his sister a "leatherworker" (See: Rogue/Thief, good with a knife).
>Start to gather a militia, everyone meets up at a place where the soldiers should be coming.
>Ambush and attack them as the first boss battle, fighting them with pitchforks, clubs, and hunting bows.
>Haul in the lieutenant and discover that the kingdom's capital your region is a part of has been sacked and captured, and a member of the royal family escaped this way about a week ago.

>In a bid more for fame than honor or duty, you attempt to gather up soldiers who are willing to follow you to liberate your homeland.
>You move from each region, visiting villages, towns, homes, and even bandit camps trying to unite as many men as you can under your banner.
>Story is unique in that you can lose many boss fights and not get a game over, but the story changes to reflect that.
>Multiple endings based on your decisions, successes, and failures.

My storytelling skills suck, but I think it would've been a good concept for a game. Probably should've been done in a Fire Emblem style though.

>> No.1177872

>>1177849
>One of my friends was an amazing spriter, even with the limited functions he was able to make awesome shit

Speaking of RPG Maker PS1's limitations, I have some general tips for making a game:

In your parameter configuration, you'll notice you're limited to three types of magic. (or elements) These are restricted to a rock-paper-scissors relationship, and you can't manually specify what's weak against what. This creates a problem if you're trying to do a traditional fire-ice-lighting scenario, because the weak / strong relationships present in the programming won't make sense. To produce a logical result, I use Water - Fire - Plant, in that order. Water hurts Fire, Fire hurts plant, Plant absorbs Water.

Experience points are a bit odd in this game. You can't set it up manually, and around level 22, the same amount of exp. is required for each subsequent level up. Here's a chart:

Lv. / Exp. Needed

2 - 15
3 - 22
4 - 33
5 - 49
6 - 73
7 - 109
8 - 163
9 - 244
10 - 366
11 - 549
12 - 823
13 - 1234
14 - 1851
15 - 2776
16 - 4164
17 - 6246
18 - 9369
19 - 14053
20 - 21079
21 - 31618
22+ - 32768

As for creating characters, remember the "30-point rule." This means allocate no more than 30 points among all starting stats. Their level ups will occur in a balanced fashion.

When you're setting up your game's events, remember that you can disable game system components that you don't use. For instance, do you want to do away with experience levels and instead require characters to consume items to raise their stats? You can create a starting event that disables the level system permanently. It will no longer appear in the menu.

>> No.1178086

RPGM on Playstation is a painful topic for me. I spent something like 40+ build hours making a game in it that was playable for a good 3 hours or so, took up 14 blocks of data for the game [and 1 more block for a custom character sprite] and when I went to save it one day the power cut out from a brownout or something. Corrupted the save, lost everything except the custom sprite. I still have that sprite on a memcard somewhere.

>> No.1178624

Thanks OP. Menu music stuck in my head
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmnmudEqdTY

>> No.1178637

>>1176508
I've fucked about with RPG Maker 2000 and 2k3 quite a lot, but I never really made anything of note. I feel that I did what might have been the original parallax maps, but back then, high-speed internet wasn't as common as it is now. The size of anything I made was way too high for my poor dial-up modem to handle without days of waiting.

Now, everyone is doing the bloody things and I salute them.

Legion Saga was awesome

>> No.1178754

>>1178086

Me too anon. I got mine corrupted for trying to BACK UP the file on another memory card. Even though I can just emulate the game without the worry I'll never be able to play the game again. Scarred for life.

>> No.1178786

>Ctrl+f
>no Gobli's quest
you wut /vr/?
It's like you don't even want to be the final boss....

>> No.1178805

I'm currently procrastinating on a scale of years to not work on a 2k3 game but I can't bring myself to cancel it.

>> No.1178826

>>1178637

Fun fact! The guy that made Legion Saga just got a game greenlit on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133911386

>> No.1178835

This console RPG Makers always seemed pointless to me as they severely limit 2 of the most importants aspects of an RPG : Your resources and the dialog. I guess the first one DOES improve your creativity in a sort of sadistic way by forcing you to make your own damn music and graphics (at least those that had actual editors), but still doesn't beat working with ANY PC program and a mouse. The dialog thing is just inexcusable, seriously, how could you expect to write any semblance of an actual story with such an awful input method?

>> No.1178845

>>1178835
For the RPG Maker games for the PS2, any USB keyboard worked fine.
For the PS1 one... you got used to it. You're not making the next baldur's gate, you're simply making a short 1-2 hour RPG. I mostly limited all NPCs to only a single dialog window, and tried mostly to emote cutscenes instead of droning on with dialog.

But your absolutely right, any serious (well, in RPG Maker sense) designer went with the PC.

>> No.1179370

Bought the ps1 version when I was 9, was too retarded to ever use it.

>> No.1179850

>>1176508
I used to be hardcore with RPG Maker on the PSone. Once the PC versions came along, I forgot all about it.

>> No.1179951
File: 903 KB, 300x200, i shiggy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1176508
>DM on the back of the chair

>> No.1180810

I remember using 2k3 to work on a couple of games. One was about a wisecracking alien that crash-landed on Earth, and had to rely on two moron hillbillies to get the parts needed to rebuild his ship. This was done before the Destroy All Humans games came out, so no, I didn't rip them off. If anything, I ripped off Toejam & Earl more than anything.
The other game was a prequel to Phantasy Star 1. It was about the journey of a black musk-cat (think Myau) after being forced to leave the colony of musk-cats because he wasn't yellow. I had the entire planet maps done and even figured out how to do the space travel between planets before I realized that I couldn't figure out how to do the enemies at all. I gradually lost interest after that and haven't touched the program in many years.

>> No.1180831

I've messed mostly with the Windows versions of this engine. I wanted more back then that simple turn-based combat, but it would've taken a long time to code something more. Even a Mario and Luigi style RPG system would've taken a lot of time.

>> No.1180858

I had RPG Maker 2 on the PS2. I was so excited for it. I remember preordering it at Gamestop just so I could make absolutely sure I'd get a copy (figured they wouldn't bother stocking it otherwise and I was right, they told me themselves). I remember bringing the gigantic manual to school with me to study it between classes and try to figure that shit out. Never did make any real progress making a game with it, though, because a few weeks later I found out about 2k3 on PC and never looked back.

>> No.1180929

>>1177849
>I actually do attribute some of the scripting in that game to helping my programming skills

Oh god. This. I remember for some reason it took forever for me to wrap my head around using switches, but eventually I understood it and most of the other mechanics. Some time later when I started taking actual programing classes I found myself saying "Oh, this is kind'a like the stuff I had to do in rpg maker". I also noticed I was having a much easier time than the rest of the class.

>> No.1181467

I remember playing ps1 rpg maker a lot when I was a kid. I made so many games saddly they required a whole memory card just to have them saved so I would have to clear my memory card to make something new. usally what I made was better then the previous anyways and I learned new things and better ways of doing stuff. I do remember using it to make my own adventure game you know like shadow gate type of stuff it was pretty fun doing that.

>> No.1181508

>>1176508
I remember there was also RPG maker for GBC and 2 for SNES.

Each of them are only partialy translated, and one snes version is bugged.

>> No.1181536
File: 12 KB, 320x240, FEMINISTCRIMESQUAD640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Feminist Crime Squad!

Story: In the year 199X, war was beginning.
Saddam Hussein has been overthrown with the
help of the Great Satan. The Arab Rennaissance
Party has been replaced with the Ladies
Rennaissance Party, and Matriarchy now reigns
supreme in Iraq. A free autonomous state of
Kurdistan has formed in the chaos, which has
sparked a war between Iraq and Kurdistan.

BUT THE WORLD REFUSED TO CHANGE...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1yb1a1r77ew07u1/NeoLLRB.rar

>> No.1182112

>>1177489
> Cheyne

Do you even America?